PDA

View Full Version : The Ladder - Part 2?

Darth Torgo
06-12-2002, 03:11 PM
Hey,

Since the Ladder SP level is such a hit (I love it), has anyone considered creating a new level that features the waves of reborn, a small dual area, and cool fight music? The basic formula behind the level should stay the same, but it would be very nivce to see some Ladder levels that take place ona differnet map. I mean, the Pit variation in the current version of the ladder serves it's puropse and all, but perhaps one could create a more atmospheric map or two for it? Or even just apply the ladder game play to an existing duel map--as lng as it's not one of those duel maps that murders frame rate.

Anyway, just a thought. The ladder SP seems one of a kind so far and I'd love to see some variations of it out.

- DT :vadar:

(who enjoys being able to change the music in ladder by messing with the Pk3 file)

Graphicsgod
06-12-2002, 05:56 PM
Someone did. Well not exactly, but close enough. You fought on floating platforms. Very cool, but very anoying when you get force pushed off.

I think it's called, tgk_twim1.

RichDiesal
06-12-2002, 05:57 PM
The SP version of my Kamino will be somewhat like this. :D

Grets Sirob
06-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Only with some non-saber weilding opponents, right? And if anyone else is going to do this, make sure you include non-saber weilding peoples.

:no wampa smily:mad:make one jk2.net!: Roar!

Darth Torgo
06-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Great to hear, guys.

The level concept, though not that complex, is certainly a lot of fun. With all of these epic TC projects and what not going on, I'd hate to see more ladder levels get neglected. :)

- DT

Lucko Mabri
06-12-2002, 08:22 PM
I Never actually played the ladder. Guess i'll have to play it now! :D

-Lucko Mabri

SAIK HUAT
06-13-2002, 03:36 AM
So there is no SP maps as good a ladder at the moment. I hated that map with the floating platforms. To quick to finish....
Only 7 SP maps on the whole of the net!!!!! Thats gotta be wrong....

Darkblade
06-13-2002, 03:49 AM
Someone summoned me?

Actually... I have been making Ladder 2 - Assault on Cloud City for a few weeks right now. It began only to find out how different the functions of Radiant were if compared to Worldcraft.

After a while, I decided to make Ladder - Part 2. I have finished the outdoor environments already. Now I'm making scripts for the Reborn (now they don't appear from middle of nowhere, they jump down from the roofs etc.).

And the name gives away that this map is based on Bespin.

Music list features (at least for now):

-Trevor Jones' - You Have the Power (from Dark City)
-Hans Zimmers - Injection (from MI: 2)
-John Williams' - Emperors theme

List is maybe going to change.

My brother and my neighbours have said that it looks very good but I think they are just trying to make me feel proud. You can make your own judgements when it's ready.

I'm not trying to make a better version of Ladder. I am just trying to make something which can be enjoyed.

At this moment I believe the file size is going to be about 10 megabytes. Of course version without the musics will be there for us modem users. ;)

I cannot show you screenshots because I have no website or anything but expect Ladder 2 - Assault on Cloud City coming near you this weekend (if everything goes right) on www.jediknightii.net :)

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 01:03 AM
Sounds very promising--can't wait to play it. The Ladder concept is so good, it will be nice to see a slightly different spin on it.

good luck!

-DT

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 01:08 AM
Sorry about that long signature. I think it's fixed now. :)

- DT

aazell
06-18-2002, 01:23 AM
I f anyone want's a challenge try playing ladder with realistic saber combat on level 3.

that is tough stuff. Took me forever but I eventually finished it.

good fun too.

aaz

Pnut_Man
06-18-2002, 02:57 AM
2nd ladder level sounds awesome :) Weekend is very promising :)

Sinister_Evil
06-18-2002, 04:54 AM
realistic saber combat on lvl3?what is that?it can other than 0,1???
anyway is realistic saber combat supposed to be more difficult?i thought it was only about the dismemberment...

SithBrakiss
06-18-2002, 05:02 AM
You want hard?
Try playing "The Ladder" with g_saberAnimspeed .7
Makes it realistic and slower.
AWESOME!

Sinister_Evil
06-18-2002, 05:15 AM
dood been doing that all afternoon(well its night here)
really cool...next i tried animationspeed 15 now that was fun(sort of) and then i tried g_knockback or something at 50000!!!!!they fly away with a single push like a fether on a nuclear explosion shock wave!!!!!
HEHEHE

RichDiesal
06-18-2002, 05:29 AM
g_saberrealisticcombat does a few things... it basically sets limb severing ability with a damage value... at 1 it simply turns on limb severing and does 1 damage when you touch something.

At 10000 (which I would consider "full realism") it will instantly slice through most any enemy.

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 06:13 AM
I've been doing the Saberrealisticcombat 1 for a while (and it's STILL killer fun) but the saberanimspeed was new to me. Of course, I think I misread someone's post and set it to "7" instead of ".7" and thought it was just stupidly fast.

What would be nice is being able to maybe give more hit points to the reborn boss.

But thanks for the advise, guys. I'll try .7 on the saberanim.

- DT

Sinister_Evil
06-18-2002, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
At 10000 (which I would consider "full realism") it will instantly slice through most any enemy.

HEHEHEHE...
now were cooking....
:duel:

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 08:14 AM
What is the default speed for g_saberanimspeed?

I've been toying with it and was wondering--you know, how ot get back to normal and all that.

- DT

Sinister_Evil
06-18-2002, 08:43 AM
i dont know but if u type in any command g_saberanimpeed fpr example it will show u the current number and the default one
i.e.
g_saberanimspeed 0.7 default 1

Catscratch
06-18-2002, 08:54 AM
hi guys, wanna try my first public ladder-alike sp map ?

http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/tryout.zip

You know what to do with the pk3 file in the zip file :D
Map's name is currently "duel_tryout" and nothing happens when you kill tavion :D Just a mapping practice :D

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 03:57 PM
I tried out your ladder level and I must say it was fun. Let me give negatives and positives. I know it's a work in progress, but I'm going to reply as if it's a finished product.

Negatives:

* The map itself is not only uninteresting and lacking in character, it's kind of ugly to look at.

* The stormtroopers don't really add anything to the game play. They are easy to kill and spupply fun fodder, but nothing beyond that. I'd consider loosing them.

* The map is perhaps too large--too much space.

* This is just my opinion, but you might want to go with more non-game music for the battles. Lots of great battle soundtracks out there to choose from from modern stuff like The Crystal Method's "Name of the Game" to classical numbers like Orf's Carmina Buranna. It's totally up to you and those who know how may change the music to what they like, but if you pick out fight music you like, it will add that much more ot the level's character.

* Perhaps a little more variety and build in the waves of reborn--as in the original ladder level.

* More stuff to fight around in the level--stuff to break or kill things on perhaps.

Positives:

* A fun level, even at this stage

* The sudden spawning of Jedi Knights to aid you in your battle is a nice, fun twist on the ladder level. Suddenly, your in the middle of a jedi battle--awsome idea. However, be sure not to make the help too powerfull.

* While too big, a slightly larger level than the orginal ladder does seem like a good idea. Not FFA map big, but large duel big. It provides more room to work with.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

- DT

Catscratch
06-18-2002, 11:31 PM
I'll change the %75 of the map so don't worry about the layout :D
Im thinking about the reborn's or other characters' spawning thou. Maybe i should put doors to those 4 rooms and When you kill reborns , new reborns would spawn behind the doors and they attack when the doors are open. But im not sure of doing it. Gotta try these first :D

And im really thinking about some rocket launchers :D So you will be moving all the time not to get hit by rockets. Maybe one wave would contain rocket launchers. I'm not thinking to put desann cuzz he's unnecessarily powerful.

Maybe i make the level as a mod so i can change the npcs' properties and make another boss to defeat. Maybe a dark luke huh ?

Graphicsgod
06-19-2002, 12:09 AM
I liked the storm troopers, was different to try to fight at the same time I was being shot at ;). The two npcs' at the end were pretty useless, and was forced to kill them to get rid of em. The level doesn't seem to end or go any further. Just kill the reborns.

What you should try to do is recreate a "Danger Room" type map. With gun emplacements that come out of the wall, steps and places to jump to that come out of the wall and would be timed, and etc... and etc...

Just take the Ladder map and modify it to be more "lively" and full of surprises. Maybe even a warp thats on a func. train and triggerd when a certain character gets killed and it sends you to different locals. And then back when you beat the map(s).

One map could be a jungle. Another an outer space map with meteors floating and moving around. And an abandoned/destoyed city. And so on. Then give it all a fake kinda look, using shaders to make things fade in and out very quickly. And other "matrix" like effects.

And then have voices playing at certain times to give the fealing your being watched. For example, before you get warped to another map, have a voice say "Let's try something a little harder." and so on.

Should be doable ;).

Might be a cool idea. Or mabe it's the beer talking, you decide.

Darth Torgo
06-19-2002, 01:58 AM
I don't like the idea of reusing the ladder map (pit) for one of these. We've been there and using a different or totally original map for it is certainly the way to go.

The dangerroom cannons idea is neat, however and enough of these would provide the danger that stortroopers with rocket launchers would except without the excessive damage for a single hit and the ease in which the trooper is finally killed off. The robot guns manage to be percestent, they wear down one's armor and health as opposed to just wipe it out too.

Good move on leaving desann out--though I must say I've had a lot of fun playing with luke against Vader-to-Desann in single player on the red carbon chamber duel level that came with the game--but I find that I have to turn undying on and then turn it off to really get the kind of fun I want. And Vader still takes me apart much of the time.

But that's beside the point--as far as a boss is concenred... It's hard to come up with a good finish, a good final encounter for such a map. But im sure you'll come up with something. At any rate, it's the fighting leading up to the final that's the fun with a level like this and not the final fight itself that's important.

- DT

Catscratch
06-19-2002, 08:48 AM
Well, i have two maps now :D.

http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/tryout2.zip

the map's name is "tryout". Well it still looks like an outline but it will be shaped by your comments.

Now you chase down Tavion out of the building. Some stormtroopers show up and you find luke outside of the building. It's pretty short but im getting used to mapping :D

(still need to learn scripting anyway)

Anyone knows how to make in-game cutscenes btw ?

Darth Torgo
06-19-2002, 12:40 PM
Alright, I've played the new one you did. Some good stuff going on here. I like where this is headed. :)

* I dig splitting it up into two maps. From your post, I gather that your wanting to make a cut scene to go inbetween the two that pushes the plot that you have ot chase tavion outside to kill her. This would be cool, but even if you don't get any cutscenes in there, it would still rock. People would probably be able to pick up on the map's plot. But the idea of using two maps is really good. That was one of the short comings of the original ladder level. The game play was great, but when the fighting or the plot "goes to the next level", the map itself didn't. Changing maps half way through is excelent.

* The inside was better I thought without the stormtroopers. Perhaps you might want to try some automated cannons later, but I liked the absence of the troopers indoors. The doors were nice and the map itself I think will work fine--especially once there's more "stuff" going on in there as far as decoration and props go.

* The music switching to the Connan number when the other Jedi showed up was really nice. The music cut on, the troops showed up, and the battle was *on*. Good stuff.

* I like the idea of going outside for the second half of the level. I also liked the way you had the troops and reborn positioned.

* I don't know if you were going for a Hedge maze feel on that outdoor area but I liked it a lot. If it can be done and still look good in the game, I'd certainly recomend keeping some manner of hedge maze. I mean, I realize it's not quite a hedge maze but it has that feel and goes great with sword play. As is, it's obviously rough-looking but its' a great idea.

* Are you planning on putting a ship at the end of the outside area? I immagine tavion would be fleeing to that or something.

All in all, it's going real well. keep it up!

- DT

Grets Sirob
06-19-2002, 12:47 PM
I might make a ladder level later on. Just to learn some stuff, maybe try a cutscene or two, several levels...

Hey, this is sounding cool! I might incorperate this into my Mimban Temple! The story could be that you were following Desann or somebody(hopefully a custom model and skin) You then get trapped inside and you end up fighting loads of guys. Hey, that's an awsome idea! I will do that! I don't know about cutscenes, but at least it'll be there!

:no bantha smily either jk2.net: *bantha call*

Graphicsgod
06-19-2002, 05:05 PM
I thought the "ladder" was made to hone your skills and see how good you are. Thats what Ladder2 should be, just with more umph. If you add cut scenes and such, it becomes more a regular level. And not a "training" program, type of map.

Mybe when I said "make it go somewhere", I might have not made that clear or somthing. Oh well.

Just my 2 cents....

Darkblade
06-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Graphicsgod
I thought the "ladder" was made to hone your skills and see how good you are. Thats what Ladder2 should be, just with more umph. If you add cut scenes and such, it becomes more a regular level. And not a "training" program, type of map.

Mybe when I said "make it go somewhere", I might have not made that clear or somthing. Oh well.

Just my 2 cents....

Does it bother you if there are simple scripts for making Reborn jumping down from tall buildings and such? I hated the way in The Ladder that they just appeared from nowhere... :confused:

Catscratch
06-19-2002, 09:35 PM
Well im thinking of a shuttle already. Maybe the same shuttle in the first level of SP.

Is there a way to make npc spawning points that will spawn a npc every 2 minutes until i deactivate =?

Elijah
06-19-2002, 10:44 PM
mmm, IMO, SCREW REALIZIM! Your in a world with guys who own nothing, walk around waving there hands to get there way... and there only weapon is a light stick... i mean common, HOW REALISTIC IS THAT?

so... when making starwars stuff... forget the hole *realistic* thing...

Darth Torgo
06-19-2002, 11:15 PM
First off, as far as the Ladder being just for training, training for what? Training for all the multiplayer games I don't play? Trainging for the SP game that I've already finished and have no intention of replaying anytime soon? A training program for some surpise Jedi test we're all going to have ot take one day? Hell no, a good ladder level *becomes* the game--it's not a means to some other fun, it *is* the fun.

And as far as plot goes, I don't see anything wrong with a little plot or even a cut scene or two as long as it doesn't turn into "Metal Gear Solid 2" or anything. I see a ladder level as a SP level that puts massive saber battles abaove all other elements in the game without worrying with puzzles, big maps, keys, or too much in the way of non-jedi enemies or plot. That said, I think a little plot and a few troopers are fine. And adding a chasing tavion plot is nothing to get too worried about--it's just enough to give a little reason to the level without swamping it.

And realisim... the spawning on the first ladder level never bothered me. Have them come out of doors, come down from the ceiling, or just appear out of thin air--doesn't matter to me. Their wizards living in a super advanced sci-fi world. If thye want to appear out of nowhere, then so be it. :)

- DT

Catscratch
06-20-2002, 06:45 AM
Hehe darth, well im not going to make a sp-like map anyway. It's really beyond my abilities. I hate puzzles in SP. Well JK2 would really be something different. I expected so much things like more adventure and interacting with npcs. JK2 is a starwars version of quake3 which is really made for multiplayer.

Well i have updated the maps.

http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/tryout3.zip

The second map does have a shuttle now. However you can go through it because i copy/pasted it from the kejim_base map itself to just see how it looks.

Another update is a cliff at the end of the map where you fight tavion.

(If i go crazy about mapping i should make a map or maps that leads you to where jk2 SP starts. What they did before they got into the shuttle heading to Kejim. Huh what an imagination i have :P )

Sniper Jo
06-20-2002, 09:34 AM
My zip program says the file is broken.

Maybe you can fix it

I only play sp so this is great fun

Catscratch
06-20-2002, 09:31 PM
Well i tried that link with a different computer and it works fine no zip errors with Winzip. However i wil upload that file again to the site when i get home.

Catscratch
06-21-2002, 02:53 AM
http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/tryout3.zip

i've changed the first map a bit. Now you face two more reborns and 3 stormtroopers (they shouldn't run at ya) that would guide you to the exit of the map.

Darth Torgo
06-21-2002, 03:26 PM
I like the new stuff. Not much else for me to say on it beyond that. Just visual stuff needs to be done, but the game play is pretty damn close if not there already.

- DT

Indy4
06-22-2002, 10:41 AM
when are you planning to realese screenshots?

pakmannen
06-24-2002, 03:24 AM
hey, darkblade,
just saw you screenshots over at jedioutcastmaps.com

really great!
what sky did you use? the sky or the sky_platform?
and what is the orange looking texture called?

(i've been looking for a texture like that)

sweet work!

Darkblade
06-24-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by pakmannen
hey, darkblade,
just saw you screenshots over at jedioutcastmaps.com

really great!
what sky did you use? the sky or the sky_platform?
and what is the orange looking texture called?

(i've been looking for a texture like that)

sweet work!

I am using the original bespin sky. I am just faking the damn light by using light entities because I didn't find a ambient sky which eminated propriate light. :)

I believe that the orange texture is in the bespin textures. I'll try to find the name of it but the whole level is constructed with bespin textures only.

Spiderfan1311
06-24-2002, 03:42 PM
hey I just saw the shots over at jedioutcastmaps.com, truly sweet! will desann be in there at the end like in the first one? (didn't see it in the shots)

Darkblade
06-24-2002, 06:13 PM
Of course Desann will be there. As you (maybe) saw those were Beta shots of the map and didn't have all of the enemies placed on the map yet and of course there may be some little additions on the map (like R2 droids next to X-Wing 'fixing' it). :)

I got few suggestions on what to add to the level by my beta tester BlackSheep and the operator of Jedi Outcast Maps and it seems there may be somekind of a 'normal' and 'special edition' out of Ladder 2.

Normal will just contain that one area. One which you see in the screenshots.

Special Edition will contain probably a street of somekind (one which you saw in Bespin Streets map) and/or a landing pad.

Lot of things are still open and suggestions are always welcome. ;)

pakmannen
06-24-2002, 08:33 PM
ah, never mind. i made some textures myself.. :)

thanks anyway, and keep up the work!

iTeM
06-24-2002, 08:51 PM
En svensk! yay

Exar Kun II
06-25-2002, 06:11 AM
OK, i just played the map, killed all the Reborns and Tavion, I've got Mr. Skywalker running around beside me, is there anything else? What am I missing?;)

Catscratch
06-25-2002, 10:43 PM
I think the last comment is for me. Well since i know nothing to create in-game cutscenes, the map never ends.

Maybe i connect the map to the SP's first level.

Im really thinking of a SP level which has a story about what jan and kyle were doing before they went to Kejim Post.

Need some cool concept and story btw and i gotta learn how to make in-game demos.

Nobodi Kenobi
06-26-2002, 02:30 AM
Catscratch

I tried you level and it is pretty good :)

As was stated before, the gameplay is the most important part of any level and it is THERE. All you need to do now is put in some eye candy (textures, refine things) and it will be a good SP level.

As far as a cool story goes...

If you can do it... Create a custom model/NPC character of a Rogue Jedi who is wowrking for Desann and is delivering something important to Kejim like the latest prototype armor suit the Shadowtroopers wear. But of course, Kyle and other Jedi intercept a transmission from him/her and after defeating the waves of dark jedi (reborn) they interogate the dark jedi and he/she tells them where they were going (Kejim) which takes us into the original SP game storyline.

It's like a prologue -- In fact, that is exactly what it is.

Even if you can't create a custom NPC, try and reskin Tavion or whomever will be the "big-bad" of your level so that it isn't a character from the SP on the outside.

I think that would work.

Re: Ladder 2 and Ladder Levels in General...

As someone else said, the ladder itself IS the game.

It can be used both as a training tool for online MP and as a stand-alone "fun" level to play if you've played the SP campaign and just want to get a little light-saber fragin' in :)

People mentioned the importance of plot and while there is nothing wrong with a plot, the fact is the original ladder is so successful because, ironically, there is no plot and it gets down to the main appeal of JK II and that is light saber battles above all else.

I think the trick for any ladder type level is to have a plot, but not one that overwhelms the main purpose of the map: Dueling with NPCs.

Even the original ladder can have an imaginary plot: It's the last challenge the hero (Kyle) has to face - waves of minions - before taking on the henchman (Tavion) and finally the big-bad (Desann) himself. That's classic storytelling without the story. And it works.

Darkblade

The only criticism I have of the first ladder is that it becomes impossible to win without cheats because the amount of enemies that spawn are insurmountable. 6 on 1 - no matter what the skill setting - Is to much for even a Jedi like Kyle.

What would be cool is to do what Catscratch did and have friendly Jedi arrive and help you out when the odds become increasingly overwhelming.

You have to remember, it can be challenging, but you should be able to get to the end - or near the end - Of the map with some effort on the players part instead of the original ladder where it is an accomplishment to get to the shadowtroopers alone because of how much is thrown at you from the start.

Now, understand I'm not saying nerf the skill level or make ladder 2 for noobs. BUT I am saying you should consider the fine line between fun and frustration :)

In addition, while it is cool to have score music (non-vocal) I would like to see music such as:

Wake Up - Rage Against the Machine (Matrix Theme)

Click Click Boom - Saliva

In Ladder 2 at just the right time to give it that FUN feeling that the Smack and Kombat music gave the original ladder.

I think Click Click Boom could be used after a short pause and possibly before Tavion or someone comes on just to "up" the adrenaline and remind you this is a game and to have fun.

But it's up to you of course ;)

Catscratch
06-26-2002, 03:10 AM
Well it would be cool. However they can't face with reborns, they appear later in the game. Well if i want to make a level with lightsaber and force powers, i'd rather prefer making a story after JK2's story. Otherwise i'll have to make a normal FPS level.

It is really unfortunate that i couldnt find any tutorials for making in-game cinematics(cutscenes).

_MoDeMbOy_
06-26-2002, 04:50 PM
hmmm....Ladder pt.2! cool i liked ladder pt.1. oh and catscratch i tried your version and i liked it alot man!!good work!:D

Darkblade
06-26-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Nobodi Kenobi
Darkblade

The only criticism I have of the first ladder is that it becomes impossible to win without cheats because the amount of enemies that spawn are insurmountable. 6 on 1 - no matter what the skill setting - Is to much for even a Jedi like Kyle.

What would be cool is to do what Catscratch did and have friendly Jedi arrive and help you out when the odds become increasingly overwhelming.

You have to remember, it can be challenging, but you should be able to get to the end - or near the end - Of the map with some effort on the players part instead of the original ladder where it is an accomplishment to get to the shadowtroopers alone because of how much is thrown at you from the start.

Now, understand I'm not saying nerf the skill level or make ladder 2 for noobs. BUT I am saying you should consider the fine line between fun and frustration :)

In addition, while it is cool to have score music (non-vocal) I would like to see music such as:

Wake Up - Rage Against the Machine (Matrix Theme)

Click Click Boom - Saliva

In Ladder 2 at just the right time to give it that FUN feeling that the Smack and Kombat music gave the original ladder.

I think Click Click Boom could be used after a short pause and possibly before Tavion or someone comes on just to "up" the adrenaline and remind you this is a game and to have fun.

But it's up to you of course ;) [/B]

Friendly Jedi has been in the plans ever since I began making this map and somehow make them 'disappear' or make them fight against other Reborn when the player is fighting against Desann. I'll look how to do this...

And for the soundtrack... at this point I'm considering using.

Trevor Jones - You Have the Power
Hans Zimmer - Injection
John Williams - The Chess Game and
John Williams - Darth Sidious Theme

These bring up certain kind of a 'feeling' to the fight... you'll see what I mean. ;)

Also... I'm planning on making two different versions out of Ladder 2. The normal, which contains only this area which you see in the screenshots. And then the Special Edition, which contains some things which my beta tester and Sergio suggested to do. I try to release this normal version soon but the release date of the Special Edition (mostly because it will expand the current level a lot) I don't know.

The reason why I divided these to two parts are simply that people possibly want to play Ladder 2 as soon as possible. It is only a new map which some more Reborn waves and stuff and they really don't appear from middle of nowhere (which got me killed usually in the original Ladder).

Covax
06-27-2002, 10:48 AM
I'm patching together a skin/weapons pack that works great with Ladder. I'm calling The Ladder: Dragon Remix. I'll have... well rip-off from other MODS, mainly the Ninja Mod with some semi-tinkered skins. I'll post it up Friday/Saturday.

Nobodi Kenobi
06-28-2002, 02:32 AM
Darkblade

I look forward to playing both versions of the Ladder II as many do :)

How do you change the music - without using Radiant if possible - In the current ladder (or any maps that have pre-assigned music)?

Is this possible?

As much as I love the first ladder, I just want some new tunes when lightsaber fraging those reborns :)

Ray Stantz
06-28-2002, 07:54 AM
"The only criticism I have of the first ladder is that it becomes impossible to win without cheats." Well actually, thats what the save option is for, its really not that hard to beat, you just have to use strategy.

About changing the music, all you have to do is find the original music in the pk3 file with say Pakscape and rename whatever music you want it to be to that and replace it in the pk3 file.

The first music is "smack" or something like that, the second one "kombat" and the third one "conan." Whats really fun to do is to replace the last music with the Mortal Kombat Theme. I just think Desanns taunt of "You Weak Fool!" fits perfectly before the song. Then again I'd use the Ninja Mod if I did that. Yet to get the most fun out of that, you have to wait until the shouting of "Mortal Kombat!" ends before you jump in to fight Desann.

I completely changed it though. I replaced all reborns except the boss one with black reborns, the reborn boss with the Vithran skin (no shirt, black pants), Kyle with Omar Torre's scorpion skin and the victory taunt with "Get over here!" I also replaced Desann with the skin of the dude from Diablo 2. So whoever made those last skins I mentioned, thanks.

garak88
06-29-2002, 02:12 AM
I have to admit when I saw the preview for this on JediOutcastMaps.com I was very very excited. Just wanted to say that Ladder is one of my favorite maps to play, especially when I'm in a pissed off mood and just need to kick some trash. I can't wait until Ladder II comes out.

Catscratch
07-01-2002, 09:28 AM
Ok. I've been working on another level besides my ladder-like "tryout" map.

http://www.geocities.com/fayebo80/pit2.zip

Try this out while waiting the ladder 2. (I'm just keeping ppl warmed up dark :D)

Unzip the file into your gamedata directory with "Use folder names" option checked at winzip's extract dialog.

Then go to options and Mods in the game. Select pit2 in the list and click load mods.

You need to use "map pit2" to start the level.

Well that's my first deal with the camera thing and some scripting.

Don't forget to mention your thoughts :D

Darkblade
07-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Catscratch
Try this out while waiting the ladder 2. (I'm just keeping ppl warmed up dark :D)

Cheers mate... gotta put you to credits...

Special thanks to Catscratch, for keeping people warmed up. :)

And now for the real news...

I'm going to lock myself to my room that no one gets me out of there. I've been having some real life issues and now I have returned back to finish the level. My job slows the level editing a bit, luckily holiday begins after this week.

I won't be giving out any release dates... I'm seeing possibilities to add something to the outside to this map as it is a bit empty. Now I have a bunch of crates there but they look stupid. My beta tester suggested on adding a bridge of some sort there but it just wouldn't look any good there...

In the meantime... keep checking Catscratches level and my plan file at http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/babylon. Be patient, young padawans... Darkblade, out. ;)

Catscratch
07-02-2002, 07:40 PM
:D Thank you for credits, master. :P

You know im kinda one of your padawans about this mapping thing. I learnt lotsa things from your work (ladder). Is your beta testing list full ?

Darkblade
07-03-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Catscratch
:D Thank you for credits, master. :P

You know im kinda one of your padawans about this mapping thing. I learnt lotsa things from your work (ladder). Is your beta testing list full ?

Just clearing things out... I did not make the first Ladder. I don't know who did it (JediNights was the only name which I found at the readme file), I don't even have permission to use the Ladder name...

I'm just making a unofficial add-on to Ladder, trying to give the community something which is fun to play...