PDA

View Full Version : random spawning stormtroopers

Takeoffyouhoser
06-16-2002, 04:29 PM
just a thought i had.....

would it be possible to make stormtroopers appear in different areas of a room each time you start the level over.... Lets say kyle gets defeated by a few troopers. Well, when you go into the same room with these troopers, they are all in the same place. Could you make them appear or respawn in a few different locations, like behind some cargo containers, or near a lift...maybe 3 locations in all so that each time you enter its like a different combat situation...

Altimira
06-16-2002, 10:38 PM
That would be cool, Ill look into it.

Xcom
06-16-2002, 11:55 PM
I think it's possible to a certain degree. I don't think you can achieve total randomness (in a matter of speaking) but you can make them spawn randomly in, say, 3/4 possible locations.

dvader28
06-17-2002, 12:10 AM
that's MANNER of speaking...you may know more about JO Editing, but don't mess with my English skills bitch! :)

Xcom
06-17-2002, 12:22 AM
I know. Consider this a typo. I was thinking about this random spawning as "interesting matter" and excidently typed matter.

Btw, JO editing skills are more valuable around here than English skills, don't ya think? :p

dvader28
06-21-2002, 08:24 PM
I would say both are equally important...try putting your idea across in Swahili and see where it gets you my friend :D

idontlikegeorge
06-22-2002, 03:32 PM
some people

well, im new to q3 based game editing, but back when i did half-life mapping, you could do that by having spawnpoints toggled off and on from a master entity

i dont know if there entities like that in jk2 tho, or if npc spawn entities have keyvalues to be deactivated; but basically it could be possible with triggers, im thinking

Takeoffyouhoser
06-22-2002, 03:46 PM
it was just an idea i had the other night. i'm not really going to attempt this , but i figured somone else might....

Xcom
06-22-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Takeoffyouhoser
but i figured somone else might....

Yeah, I did and succeeded. :D

patchx
06-22-2002, 07:07 PM
let me guess...
a whole bunch of npc spawn points targetted by a target_random which is itself targetted bya trigger brush the player crosses?

was i close? huh? huh?

-patch

Xcom
06-22-2002, 07:12 PM
good thinking, patch. This is not how I did it but your method may work as well (maybe even better ;) )