PDA

View Full Version : Maw - wip

Madjai
06-17-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi all, ive decided to finally focus all my attention on putting at least one character into JKO, and since Maw doesnt have any legs i thought he might be easier, or maybe harder ehe...

anyways, im in the early stages, just starting with his head, which i massively modified off of kyles.

http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/maw001.txt

any reference pics you guys can find would be helpful, also tips and criticism is welcome, in any form.

Lucko Mabri
06-17-2002, 12:43 PM
AT LAST! MAW!!!!! w00t! Great Head! I have nothing to criticize about! Wow Maw! w00t!

-Lucko Mabri

quamosity
06-17-2002, 12:48 PM
Great looking head so far. Curious to know if you will end up doing a with legs version as well as the without. Might as well, if you can. That way, the best of both worlds can be enjoyed :)

Rory_Vetack
06-17-2002, 12:51 PM
Forgive my lack of Knowledge on this subject...But who is Maw...And where is he from ( i mean what movie/game/comic/ect.)?

Darth Matrix
06-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Maw is from Dark Forces II, and he's one of the Dark Jedi you have to fight ing it. He has no legs, so he flies around.

Rory_Vetack
06-17-2002, 12:56 PM
Thanx, ive never played beyond a demo of DFII, so i had no clue about him....

jibe
06-17-2002, 12:57 PM
Maw was cut in half at the waist in a lightsaber battle. He uses a a small repulsorlift sled that fits over the bottom of his torso. I was thinking that this could be accomplished by making some really simplistic legs for the model, and using the .surf thing to remove them.. would that work?

Rory_Vetack
06-17-2002, 01:04 PM
if you cant give him invisible legs... you'd run into either size issues (like Kinja's Yoda) or animation problems on account of no legs to attach to the "skeleton"....

Delmar
06-17-2002, 01:06 PM
I know it's early to be discussing taunts, but you should use that cheesy line from his cutscene, something like: "I can't wait to wipe the stink of you from the Force." :)

inbredyokel
06-17-2002, 01:08 PM
Woohoo, another Xizor avatar! Someone really needs to make a model of him...

BTW, Maw is looking great already. I'm glad you decided to go with the live-action Maw look rather than the cartoonish in-game Maw. Not having legs shouldn't be a problem either. You could just build basic pole legs over the skeleton and alpha them out later.
(insert maw smiley here)

quamosity
06-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by jibe
Maw was cut in half at the waist in a lightsaber battle. He uses a a small repulsorlift sled that fits over the bottom of his torso. I was thinking that this could be accomplished by making some really simplistic legs for the model, and using the .surf thing to remove them.. would that work?

That might work, but then, it might be cheating... :-p

Lime-Light
06-17-2002, 01:45 PM
In the beggining cutscene of JK, Maw had legs. The jedi Jarek had captured cut them off before he died.

You could simply make that version. Or, juts make the legs an invisible shader on the skin or something, so that they could be damaged in a saber duel, but not seen.

Nanodagiardino
06-17-2002, 01:55 PM
I think the surf idea is the best one. Make a belt for the repulsor lift and use the torso cap to close the hole.

jibe
06-17-2002, 02:01 PM
If the legs are invisible using .surf, it won't affect the animation at all.. but if you swing at the invisible legs, you'll take damage.

jibe
06-17-2002, 02:03 PM
Also.. couldn't you just use an alpha channel on the leg textures? That'd make them invisible too, right?

BradFu
06-17-2002, 03:37 PM
Turning off a Surfaces is a lot better than alpha'ing them into invisibility. Turning off a Surface keeps the polys from those surfaces from loading, which can potentially increase speeds. As I understand it, alpha shaders also add their own drag because the game engine has to go through considerably more to make the stuff invisible.

Anywho.. Maw's head looks cool so far :) I think you should go with the hovering method, it'll work beautifully. He won't have to use caps to do it, just simply model the underside of the sled and make the super-simple legs that will be invisible. It'd be the very first hovering model in the game! The damage to the missing legs shouldn't detract much.

BradFu!

Madjai
06-17-2002, 10:29 PM
ok thanks for the replies

the only thing would look funny is when he rolls, but i dont think itll be a big problem.
for the tuant i will probably use the "Finally I get to whipe your putride taste from the force!" It's a bit long but i think itll work.

Delmar
06-17-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Madjai
ok thanks for the replies

the only thing would look funny is when he rolls, but i dont think itll be a big problem.
for the tuant i will probably use the "Finally I get to whipe your putride taste from the force!" It's a bit long but i think itll work.

that's the line... :D

Darth Torgo
06-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Hey,

Nice start on the model.

I'd say either way would be cool. MAW with legs would work and MAW without would be fun as long as it's not to freaky in the game. For example, if invisible legs are used, then:

Would he still make footfalls?

Would the legs take damage?

What would happen if he was dismembered at the waist? (again--D'oh!)

But keep up the great work!

-DT

Madjai
06-18-2002, 01:40 AM
footsteps would be replaced by some sort of electric sound with air.

legs will still take damage no matter what

youd only see dismemberment in SP or some MP mod, but ill try and see if i can cut him at the waist just above the repulsorlift, and of course the arms, wrist and head.

for the legs, it will just look odd but still good.

adillon
06-18-2002, 03:25 AM
it's pretty funny, i was always this past weekend and didn't check out the forum at all. i caught myself thinking who would be a really cool model to have in jkII? well, maw of course!

just got into the forum and what do i see? the man (ok, the half man), the myth, the legend, MAW! great minds think alike.

the head is looking awesome. can't wait to see how he progresses.

one question, though, couldn't you just model his upper half and not worry about the bottom half at all? do you really have to model the "legs," or couldn't the legs of the skeleton just not have anything bound to them? i'm pretty new to this modeling thing, so i'm a little confused.

T-Dogg
06-18-2002, 05:20 AM
Looking good. Real good. A reference pic, if you should need it:

http://www.jediknight.net/trail/images/pro_maw.jpg

Good luck with the project.

Madjai
06-18-2002, 05:28 AM
unfortunately i only have 2 ref pics, ill be getting JK 1 from a friend, so ill use his live shots for help

update pic:

http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/maw002.txt

theres only about 2100 polys there right now so theres a good amount of detail left to put in.

inbredyokel
06-18-2002, 05:34 AM
Wow...looks great. I have jedi knight I, so I can go in and get some shots right now. I'm guess I'm just a bigger maw fan than I thought. :evil6: (as close to a maw smiley as I can get)

jibe
06-18-2002, 05:45 AM
If you make his hands big enough, i'll start work on a Maw saber hilt.. I need some good reference pics, though. I've only found a few, and they look different from one another :/

Darth Torgo
06-18-2002, 06:25 AM
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/3008/Maw.gif

http://www.ffurg.com/casting_call/cc-24.htm

http://www.thelightsaber.com/MAW_2_.GIF

http://members.aol.com/Hggmw5/expanded3.html

(great painting here)

http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=toys/cmmawref.jpg

(bigger version)

http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/Jedi/Sith.htm

http://www.cheatersguild.com/darkforces/jkcharacters.htm
(stats)

I hope some of that helps.

- DT

Zippo85
06-18-2002, 06:26 AM
I think the arm should be a little thicker, more muscular.

That is all. Lokking forward to it GREAT WORK!

adillon
06-18-2002, 06:37 AM
he is looking *BLEEP* awesome. but at the same time he should be a little bulkier/meatier. just look at him compared to kyle in that painting.

keep up the great work, Madjai!

inbredyokel
06-18-2002, 07:17 AM
I recorded and uploaded the maw quote(just for the hell of it)...you'll have to paste it into the address bar.

http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw1.wav

There's a little music in the background, but the quality is pretty decent. If anyone has a sound editing program they could probably fix it up a bit.

Tap[RR]
06-18-2002, 07:18 AM
I can see somebody used morgan kartarns upper body ;) . Well i suggest you beef it up some more, and mention it to be fair to raven, hehe (Oh and btw, im just saying im not doing this to offend you, your pretty good if you can take kyles face and make such a good maw, heh i say this cause last person i said "mention you edited the body" got somewhat offended :) ) Keep it up man.

Madjai
06-18-2002, 07:47 AM
ha thats perfect Inbred

the body is actually kyles, just like the face.

the only problem im having right now is getting his body to fit over the skeleton and not look... wierd.

because he is bulky and bigger than kyle his arms will be stuby because of the skeleton restriction, so i have to make him a little more human sized.

Update Pic:

http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/maw003.txt

Grets Sirob
06-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Lime-Light
Jarek

Jerec!
Jerec!!!
Get it right!!!!:mad:

Oh, and good job, I may even d/l him(only skin I've d/led so far is yun...).

:gungan: Mesa stupid!

Lime-Light
06-18-2002, 09:33 AM
...oops.

Madjai
06-18-2002, 10:29 PM
hey inbred can you get the sound he makes when you hit him, that yell in pain?

update pic:
http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/maw004.txt

should i add any more detail or start getting him ingame?

Lucko Mabri
06-18-2002, 11:27 PM
You forgot the round bit at the bottom of him! :eek: Oh and if you could make him a lil' fatta! Other than that its fine! :D

-Lucko Mabri

adillon
06-19-2002, 01:05 AM
i agree with lucko ... a little fatter. other than that, he's awesome. remember too that the skin is gonna help him look just that much more better.

keep up the great work!

Epimetheus
06-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Ooh, ooh. How about the line where he's talking about taking Morgan's head and thrusting it on a spike! Ha ha ha ahhhh!

Silly demonic freak. That's why you don't mock mentally unstable Jedi.

AKPiggott
06-19-2002, 01:59 AM
That looks bloody excellent...

Another possible (shorter) taunt: "Come on.... kill me!"

inbredyokel
06-19-2002, 03:16 AM
No problem, I can grab a few different screams and grunts if you'll need them for a soundpack. I'll put them up later today.

Madjai
06-19-2002, 03:20 AM
sweet, thanks inbred

lucko, what round bit are you talking about?

Grets Sirob
06-19-2002, 06:21 AM
Mmmmm, jk1 character, mmmmmm.
We need more jk1 models. Glad someone's making maw. I always thought he was slightly weird, but he's also sorta cool. But, Jerec is the ultimate guy, any models for him yet?

:no bantha smily either jk2.net: *bantha call*

inbredyokel
06-19-2002, 07:54 AM
I uploaded about 8 new wav files that can be accessed from here:

http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw.htm

I put all the low quality files that have loud background noises or are cut off on the top. I doubt you'll need them since there are plenty of others, but they're there just in case. Since I couldn't find many good death sounds (I think you need one for falling and one for a normal death), I included a couple quotes, and I think "Coward!" might work well for the normal death sound, and the scream on top should suffice for falling death, I'll just edit it a little and repost it.

Madjai
06-19-2002, 08:15 AM
alright those are great

im in the process of uvw mapping him now, i hope i can find someone to skin him, because i absolutely suck at it.

inbredyokel
06-19-2002, 08:39 AM
After realizing maw's death scream is pretty much useless, I searched through the Jedi Outcast fall sounds and came up with one(I think its desann) that sounds quite similar to maw.

http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw.htm

It's on the bottom of the list.

BTW..I'd like to have a shot at skinning a light side maw for the blue team color, if you're interested. I'd say I'm pretty good at drawing in photoshop (I can send you some samples), I just haven't skinned before. LMK if you're interested.

Darth Torgo
06-19-2002, 10:56 AM
In coming up with sounds for Maw & keeping him from being too chatty, consider using some new sounds that make sense for Maw but arn't from the game. In example:

* The sound of Maw asjusting his anti-gravity displacers. A beeb followed by a whirl of some kind perhaps? Some suiting sound lifted from another film--I'm instantly thinking of the Dune movies and so forth or some sound from one of the SW movies or another game that would work.

* The sound of Maw's life support system finishing a cycle, cutting on or off, processing food, etc. Regardless of Maw's species and the strength of the dark side in him, I'm guessing by the tubes on him that his cybernetic augmentations help keep him alive. Thus, a cool sound of this would be neat--the sound of his artificial digestion gurgeling or any of his various artifical organs kicking in. Again, lots of possible stuff here and plenty of sounds out there in SW and non-SW movies ot be sampled.

* I know it's a longshot, but the actor who plays Maw has had other parts before. There is the small chance that he's had other MAW-ish lines in his Maw voices before--especially for the other video game he's credited as voicing. This is another possible source.

Good luck!

- DT

inbredyokel
06-19-2002, 11:23 AM
That actually wouldn't be too bad of an idea, although I don't know if there are enough "sound slots" open to include extra things like that. A couple things that would be cool that there would definitely be spots for...
-Rather than having footsteps, have the low-pitched hum of his repulsor-sled, and possibly have it change tone when he changes direction to strafe left or right or move backward
-Instead of having him grunt when jumping (which wouldn't make sense since he doesn't have legs), have his sled hum increase in pitch or make a powerup noise

Also remember that Maw was a very cruel and obnoxious character, and did a good job of pissing kyle off even to the point of getting himself killed, so his angry taunting shouldn't be forgotten. But I do agree that it would greatly enhance the model if random electronic or gurgling noises could be subtly inserted. It could make an already unique model even better.

Grets Sirob
06-19-2002, 11:27 AM
For the gurgling, it could be for the damage sounds. Maybe make it sound like something turned off, followed by maybe a short sound from maw, and then it coming back on. Maybe?

EZ8
06-19-2002, 11:35 AM
The quote of wiping kyle from the force is pretty cool. that wouls make the perfect taunt.

Grets Sirob
06-19-2002, 11:40 AM
It would, wouldn't it?
I vote for "Finally I get to wipe your putrid taste from the force!"

That's his best line in the entire game.

jibe
06-19-2002, 06:58 PM
I uploaded a zip file with 12 different Maw sounds from jk1, extracted straight from the data files.

http://www.h3h.net/~jibe/mawsounds.zip

adillon
06-19-2002, 10:39 PM
nice sounds, jibe. i'm sure they help out a ton.

gotta love maw's laugh ... what a cocky s.o.b.

Darth Torgo
06-19-2002, 11:01 PM
MAW: *Evil cocky laugh*

Kyle: "Dude, what happened to your legs?"

MAW: Hey! Shut-up!

- DT

And is it just me or does Maw remind anyone else here of a Star Wars universe Larry Flynt? :)

Grets Sirob
06-20-2002, 05:58 AM
Hey, Madjai, would you be willing to join a team of people I'm putiing together? It's for a JK1 TC. If not, do you like the idea(stupidly silly question)?

:wookiee: Raaarwwaag!

Epimetheus
06-20-2002, 10:55 AM
I still like the head thrusting line...

Jango_Fett91
06-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Has anyone made a good kyle katarn from Mots yet? I think he is awsome!

adillon
06-21-2002, 06:04 AM
consider this more of a hip check than a bump.

Altimira
06-21-2002, 06:27 AM
This maw looks really good. cant wait to play as him. Will he get hurt if you attack below him, or is gonna have an unfair advantage in the game?

Madjai
06-21-2002, 06:34 AM
he'll still get hit down below, im not sure if you can make it so he cant, but he should, just to be fair

right now im still trying to get the uvwmap to work for me.

striderx2048
06-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Jango_Fett91
Has anyone made a good kyle katarn from Mots yet? I think he is awsome!

theres a good enough mots kyle skin

Epimetheus
06-21-2002, 10:03 AM
Giddy bump.

Grets Sirob
06-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Any updates?

Also, would you like to model for a team that's forming? For a jk1 tc? We could really use some modelers. If you do, could you respond in my thread: JK1 TC, Would you like to help?
Thanks!

:wookiee: Raaarwwaag!

Emon
06-22-2002, 01:52 PM
1. Looks AWESOME!

2. To solve the no legs issue, that's EASY! Simply turn on the caps for the waist, retexture them with his repulsor thingy that he has, and for the thighs, lower hips, legs, feet, etc, simply texture them with like an 32x32 (whatever the smallest can be) purely transparent texture... That should work fine. That's basically how they managed to get it to work in JK1 (for the MP model that someone made).

žith Lord
06-23-2002, 01:12 AM
Yeah but the JK1 model someone made had the original animations which made hime bounce around alot and didn't make him look as if he was floating. God why couldn't raven have made the animations on a simple program instead of softimage.

Darth Torgo
06-23-2002, 02:16 AM
Well, it should be interesting to watch this model's evolution--even if the floating stuff ends up being too much of a problem.

- DT
(curious as to what, if any, plans Raven is puttign together on an expansion pack)

Oobedoob Benobi
06-23-2002, 04:35 AM
Just one thing, when someone gets in a dule while using the maw model, won't there be a glow around the legs?

Raptorz922
06-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Grrrrrr.. Why are the pictures .txt files? It seems to do that a lot on these forums. How can I view them?

Emon
06-23-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by žith Lord
God why couldn't raven have made the animations on a simple program instead of softimage.

Because the animations wouldn't be so ass kickingly smooth, they wouldn't be able to make those hundreds of transition animations with as much ease (relativly speaking), etc.

Madjai
06-23-2002, 06:30 AM
the images are .txt files because geocities does not allow .jpg's to be linked, if it was a .jpg you would have to copy and paste the link into your address bar, i found this annoying, so i can fool geocities and rename my .jpg to .txt and link it, so you can simply click on the link. There shouldnt be any reason why you cant view the image by just clicking it, even if i renamed it to .txt.

as for updates, im still working on uvw mapping, im new to player models so it may take some time, but im not giving up no matter what.

Madjai
06-23-2002, 11:52 PM
yay mapping is done, so if anyone wants to try skinning him just give me your email and ill send it.

now onto the getting ingame stuff.

Emon
06-24-2002, 01:46 AM
Once you get em working in game, send it over to emon1337@yahoo.com

inbredyokel
06-24-2002, 02:42 AM
I'll have a shot at skinning him. brennycd@earthlink.net
I'll post some progress pics as soon as I get a little done.

Madjai
06-24-2002, 08:29 AM
well ive made him into a .md3 with textures so you can skin him from there and see him in md3view, so should i send out his skin now so by the time i get him ingame he'll be skinned or should i wait till hes ingame?

as for updates, ive started weighting the mesh, its really helping me to understand how the models work ingame while im doing this, ive gotten one hand done (dear god that took a while), the head and im now working on an arm.

inbredyokel
06-24-2002, 09:38 AM
I don't think it makes any difference when the model is skinned. Weighting, etc. isn't affected by how the skin looks.

Emon
06-24-2002, 10:25 AM
I wanted to wait till it was ingame to make sure that it works, because if it doesn't and you end up scrapping it, I'll have wasted my time.

Madjai
06-24-2002, 11:06 AM
if it doesnt work then ill keep trying till it does, simple as that. Im not giving up on my first model.

Kranckor
06-24-2002, 12:38 PM
No new pics :(

Grets Sirob
06-24-2002, 12:53 PM
I again ask:
Madjai, would you like to help the jk1 tc team?
The model looks great, and we could certainly use some help.
Thanks!

Oh, and did I say great model?

:dangit jk2.net, make smilies for the ranks!: Grrarroooaaar!!!

inbredyokel
06-24-2002, 02:53 PM
I must say, for your first JO model you did quite a nice job with the mapping and everything. I can't wait to see it in action. As for me, I'm still getting started on the generic maw skin, so I'm only done with the top of the chest and some basic shading on the face. If I have some spare time tomorrow I should get enough of the head finished to post some pics.

Madjai
06-24-2002, 08:58 PM
Grets Sirob, if Maw works out good ill model all of the JK1 characters, im just not skinning any of them.
and if i do this it will take a pretty long time, i think there are lots of them... pic, gorc, saris?, jerec, boc, yun

besides, im still just a noob modeler, i didnt even create Maw, i edited him out of kyle.

inbredyokel, sounds good. For the ctf skins i suggest you just change the color of his sash, so default would be just white. That or you could make him a pretty blue and red Maw eheh.

Grets Sirob
06-25-2002, 05:39 AM
Madjai, post in my thread, "JK1 TC, would you like to help?"
I'm going to be getting several modelers together, so you won't be alone.
And, for your next project, do Jerec!
I've waited way too long for him!
I've wanted him since I first played mp.
Please do him next!
And it doesn't matter how you made him, the fact that you did him(and did him well) is enough.
Great job!:thumbsup:

:dangit jk2.net, make smilies for the ranks!: Grrarroooaaar!!!

inbredyokel
06-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Here's a shot of my progress on the face so far
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw1.txt
I haven't done any work on the top, back, or neck, and keep in mind that I need to add a lot more bumpage and straighten out the parts I do have drawn(the eyes just don't look angry enough).

StitcheS
06-25-2002, 04:07 PM
That is amazing! You two are awesome. The model is way above average, and the skin is looking way cool. I cannot wait for this model to come out, but I will.

Great work you guys! Keep the MAW tradition alive!

Grafox
06-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by StitcheS
I cannot wait for this model to come out, but I will.

or else what? You build your own?

Anyways, the model is looking great!

inbredyokel
06-25-2002, 04:21 PM
Just realized I had FOV on when I took that screenshot(making it look fisheyed). Here's a much more evil looking shot:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw2.txt

Sounds Risky
06-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Shouldn't he be more of a brownish color? I seem to remember he was brown in the cinematic sequences. I never got to him in the game (I didn't find it all the interesting to play), but I watched the cinematics and just don't remember him being so bright. Looks like a great start though.

Delmar
06-25-2002, 06:26 PM
inbred, that face looks JUST like how I remember him from the game. you're doing a great job so far- keep up the good work!

Madjai
06-26-2002, 05:06 AM
alright its looking good!

ive worked out a few bugs and assimilate now works, ive got just two problems to work out now. one of them you can see for yourself, http://www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/problem1.txt
in that screeny you can see his right arm and left arm and hand are out of wack, and im pretty sure sithlord-ii made a thread explaining how to fix it so ill have to start searching.

the second problem lies in the weights, which will simply need adjusting.

VIO
06-26-2002, 07:25 AM
hey great job i just have one thing is uper body should be wider, or the bottom skinner look at the pics his bottom is just sort of a lump, aso make sure you put in the bandages he has all over ther are imporrtant

adillon
06-26-2002, 07:27 AM
madjai, you have made a classic jedi knight character come to life in jkii ... and for that i thank you. i wish i could help you on the assimilation thing, if that's what is it (i dunno). good luck with the weights.

inbredyokel, the skin is definitely on its way. i agree with OCH on the brown thing, but that is such a minor issue right now. he's looking pretty damn mean to me as he is.

great work you two. you're making an incredible character. keep up the great work!

Madjai
06-26-2002, 08:33 AM
yay hes ingame!!

but hes got a couple more problems!
1. ALL of his textures are inverted, im not sure how this is solved at all, so either i get help here or ill make a new thread.
2. he holds his saber backwards... which looks rather odd, and im not sure what exactly is causing this but im sure its got something to do with the tag and bone in his hand.

Emon
06-26-2002, 09:43 AM
What the Maw skin is missing is detail in the flesh. Try using some different texturizers (not the Photoshop built in ones, they usually suck). He had some rough sort of skin, try emulating that somehow.

inbredyokel
06-26-2002, 10:39 AM
I'm basically going off of this picture as far as the general head pattern and color is concerned:
I'm pretty sure I've got the color about right, but it's just a little bright right now for the purposes of skinning(it's kind of hard to see what you're doing when everything is very dark). I'm considering making 2 versions, one with the flat orange color of the cutscenes, and another based on the concept art with the brownish-red skin and the shiny bodybuilder-looking muscles(which would work well for the red team color).
As for the rough skin thing, in the cutscenes his skin is very soft and prosthetic-looking, but since I'm trying to avoid making him look as cheesy as he did in-game I might look into a scaley texture. Nothing too jarring though, because it wouldn't be maw-like for him to look so inhuman.

Klorel
06-26-2002, 11:20 AM
looks just like i remember him. I know you've mentioned this before, but how exactly are you doing the walk? thats probably my favorite part about this model. Also remember, your model seems kind of light and in the game the textures get brightened a lot, so think about darkening it so its not too washed out in the game. Great work.

Madjai
06-26-2002, 11:48 AM
since the animations are the same when he walks his arms still go back and forth, for the footsteps ill probably find some whooshing sounding machine, something of a hovercraft.

Emon
06-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
I'm basically going off of this picture as far as the general head pattern and color is concerned:
I'm pretty sure I've got the color about right, but it's just a little bright right now for the purposes of skinning(it's kind of hard to see what you're doing when everything is very dark). I'm considering making 2 versions, one with the flat orange color of the cutscenes, and another based on the concept art with the brownish-red skin and the shiny bodybuilder-looking muscles(which would work well for the red team color).
As for the rough skin thing, in the cutscenes his skin is very soft and prosthetic-looking, but since I'm trying to avoid making him look as cheesy as he did in-game I might look into a scaley texture. Nothing too jarring though, because it wouldn't be maw-like for him to look so inhuman.

All right, sounds good. As for the body builder muscles, well he always has those.

Pedantic
06-26-2002, 02:50 PM
Great work guys! :D

inbredyokel
06-26-2002, 04:15 PM
I'm basically done with Maw's head. There are some parts I'm going to change(like the ears) or add detail to, but not until I'm finished with the rest of the model.
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/maw3.txt
And before you ask, yes, I will be changing the back around a bit. I didn't realize I drew an ass on the back of his head until I looked at it in modview. Normally I wouldn't care because it fits the shape of his head, but I personally don't want to be staring at that as I play as him. It will definitely be redesigned and drawn with more detail.

adillon
06-26-2002, 09:49 PM
can you say butthead? j/k ;)

looking great, inbred. it's funny though, he doesn't really look so bad as orange. very excited about the project you guys have going, and i can't wait to see how the body's coming along.

keep up the great work!

Harukaze
06-27-2002, 11:13 AM
Absolutely amazing. This would have been, in my opinion, one of the more difficult Dark Jedi of JK to craft, but you did him perfectly.

I do have a couple questions. First, once you figure out why he's holding his saber backwards, and you post it? I would like to possibly craft a character who fights like that, depending on how the animations look. I can't visualize it at the moment, from a game perspective, but if it could be pulled off that would be quite an interestingly unique character.

Second, I was wondering how models like the probots work. They not only hover, but they can fly too, going to whatever height they please, or dropping down to attack more directly. Isn't there some way that could be modified to work with Maw, instead of the invisible legs? I know the model's almost done, but if that is possible and you ever do a second version....

Just my two cents.
~ Michael

Klorel
06-27-2002, 11:23 AM
thats one of the coolest ideas (the hover sounds thingy). cant wait to play as him. One thing though, the game tends to wash out the colors and brighten the textures up a bit, so you might consider a darker orange than you have and maybe decrease the contrast a bit, it would look more skinnish and natural that way. Cant wait for this model, it has so many cool aspects, hovering, actual origional JK 1 sounds, and more :cool:

Madjai
06-27-2002, 11:33 AM
inbred, looking good. but whatever you do dont model the body or sash just yet, there might be a slight problem that will force me to combine the body and sash image files.

for the upside down saber its just a matter of rotating the tag that sets the position of where the saber AND weapons are, so not only would he have the saber upside down but the weapons too.

and it would be impossible to allow Maw to fly in MP. SP on the other hand might be possible, but im no coder.

inbredyokel
06-27-2002, 12:57 PM
No problem. I'll start to work on the arms and repulsor sled, if there are no problems with that.

btw, anyone know how to do moving textures? I would love to have liquid flowing through those 2 colored tubes. I know it was pulled off on the Energy Trooper(an awsome skin), so it is possible.

Madjai
06-27-2002, 01:42 PM
yea im having no problems with the arms, hands and repulsor lift

Harukaze
06-27-2002, 06:56 PM
I know you can use shaders for the liquid effect, but that's a skill I've not yet learned, and I don't know if it'll really look like liquid exactly. I do remember that the Energy Trooper's hands are done with shaders, but I've never had the chance to try out that skin.

And I'm going to start a thread about flying, see if anyone knowledgeable enough picks up the bait.

Darth Knight
06-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Keep up the good work you are doing great

StitcheS
06-28-2002, 01:46 AM
Wow... This model looks like it could be one awesome experience.

Inbred, if you do get the pipes to look like fluid is going through them, I will be forced to kiss you.

Madjai, keep up the fantastic work! This is going to be one hell of a model! Just think, Maw kickin' some Darth Vader butt! I say, hell yeah!

StitcheS
06-29-2002, 12:57 AM
Im sorry, but this model can not be forced down to the second page.

BUMP!

Epimetheus
06-29-2002, 09:45 AM
I still think the face is too orange-y.

inbredyokel
06-29-2002, 10:01 AM
Don't worry about the colors for now, they'll be adjusted as necessary when the model is finished and I have seen the skin in-game.

Emon
06-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Are you going to replicate his incredible Jason Alexander voice sound-a-like (it sounds JUST like him), too? :)

Madjai
06-29-2002, 10:30 AM
all the vocals are from the original JK, im still lookin for some good repulsorlift sounds.

FeurGrissa
06-29-2002, 01:13 PM
lol now thats odd.....

tell me that something is wrong on my end and u all see the extensions for those files as jpg's?

hehe they show up on my comp as txt files andi have to download em and change extension to view em.... o u guys have that too?

this is jsut odd...

inbredyokel
06-29-2002, 01:59 PM
They have txt extensions because geocities will not allow outside links to images in their free accounts, so that's the only way they can be viewed without dragging the url to the address bar. Most people don't seem to have any trouble with their browsers recognizing them as images, but I suppose most people also use Internet Explorer and Windows.

King Jezuz Pie
06-30-2002, 07:18 AM
This thread shall not end up somwhere on a second forumpage :D

I'm looking forward to the release of the model. It looks very well so far :)
I think sithlord-ii had similar problems like the ones you have now (saber backwards etc.) when he built his vader model, so it would be best to contact him via e-mail.

Madjai
06-30-2002, 07:57 AM
dont worry, all problems ive encountered so far have been fixed.

i think ive got the weighting done, just a few more tweeks, there is a slight issue though, because his arms are so big he clips through himself a little when swinging his saber.

weighting his body was a pain, took me like 4 tries to understand how to evenly distribute different parts of his body to each bone.

id say the hands were the easiest, though the longest, because of there being so many bones to work with.

cant wait to see a good skin on him, though i dont wanna rush inbredyokel.

Grets Sirob
06-30-2002, 08:00 AM
I am in the cannot waiting to be in the doing of the possession of the this model to be in the using of(translation: I can't wait till it's done).

:joreth: May the force be with you.

Harukaze
06-30-2002, 08:35 AM
Wow, light urple.

Grets Sirob
06-30-2002, 08:50 AM
I think you mean, "light purple"
If so, what's light purple?

:joreth: May the force be with you.

Oobedoob Benobi
06-30-2002, 10:44 AM
No I think he means "light urple" from celebrity jeopardy on SNL. Anyway back on topic I have recently played JK and I must say that the face looks very much alike. Good job!

inbredyokel
07-01-2002, 10:05 AM
Thought I'd give everyone a little update. I just finished all the flesh yesterday, which took a horribly long time because of all the pain-in-the-ass texture alignment involved. This will definitely be the first and last shirtless skin I'll ever do. I also completed the repulsor sled today, which has a good beat up, dented, charred, melted, and scratched look to it. Lets just say it's been through a few saber fights. I should be finished with the default maw tomorrow night or tuesday, and after that I'll do the red and blue dark/light skins(I've got something cool in mind for both of them). If all goes well the skinning should be complete sometime this week. I'll post some shots when I'm finished with the default skin. It will probably be darkened to the reddish brown color after all, simply because it looks sooooo much better.
And btw, has anyone looked into making moving textures by any chance? If not, I'll just email the creator of the energy trooper and ask him. There WILL be liquid flowing through the tubes whether I figure it out for the initial release or an updated version later.

StitcheS
07-01-2002, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a plan! i cannot wait to see what you have in place for us. I am quite excited about this whole project!

Emon
07-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Wha-what is l-light urple?

Harukaze
07-01-2002, 07:20 PM
*grins at Oobedoob*

Hey Madjai, I've got a special request for you, and you may want to kill me when you hear it. Would you consider making a second version of the model? What I'm hoping for is to be able to deselect the hoversled as a surface and select his legs. For one, he can be played pre-JK style in MP, and for another he can be used for the opening sequence of the TC, which is where he loses his legs.

If you don't want to do this, I understand; I am being a pain in the ass, I know. Anyway, if you don't, I [read: someone who actually knows how to make JO cutscenes] should hopefully be able to play around with camera angles to hide Maw's lower half during that scene. Although, it would be excessively cool for Rahn to actually hack off his legs during the cutscene, a la Luke Skywalker and the Stormtrooper during a JO cutscene.

~ Michael

"It's a big hat, it's funny!"

Madjai
07-01-2002, 11:20 PM
id need to see some pics of him with legs, or at least some concept art.

inbredyokel
07-02-2002, 04:03 AM
Just out of curiosity Madjai, you do know you have to make LOD models, right?
Btw, I think maw was also wearing some sort of robes(or at least a shirt and pants) in the cutscene.

"My name is Turd Fergusson.....it's a funny name."

Madjai
07-02-2002, 04:09 AM
yea ive already started on LOD's, they arent as hard as i thought, its just that being a noob modeler making your first model takes a long time, but after that first model you get the hang of it and can do it again in half the time.

but im wondering, what exactly are the distances that a player model turns into the next LOD?
and if you have low quality models turned on will it switch the highest LOD model with the next one?

inbredyokel
07-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Aside from some minor touchups(like fixing the hands), final color choice, and the tubes, default maw is finished.

http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/mawntage.txt
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/mawntage2.txt

If you have any opinions/suggestions on anything about the skin please post them right away, because after tomorrow I'm wrapping it up and moving on to the red and blue skins. PLEASE let me know what you think of the flesh color. As far as I'm concerned it looks a hell of a lot better than orange and I'd leave it as it is, but if everyone who downloads the model thinks "hey, maw is the wrong color," then that kind of defeats the purpose of making a maw skin.

Harukaze
07-02-2002, 06:39 PM
Actually I like the color. If someone doesn't, well, they can make their own skin for the model, since that's pretty much anyone's right to do. Of course, whether or not they can distribute it is another story. Personally, this skin here is the one I'm going to use when I play him.

Altimira
07-02-2002, 09:36 PM
The skin is good, but the back of the head looks, uhh...well...like a arse. maybe bring down some contrast there. and add a few more lines. as for the flesh color, it looks good, but i think it needs to be more darker.

:eek: Magnum

Delmar
07-02-2002, 10:51 PM
inbred, maw looks great but i think his skin looks a tad bit too "airbrushed" and not rough/realistic enough..

Madjai
07-03-2002, 12:48 AM
since im using sounds from JK1 do i have to contact LEC and ask them for permission?
if so, can someone tell me who to contact?

inbredyokel
07-03-2002, 01:19 AM
I do agree with the model looking a little too airbrushed, and that's something I've had a LOT of difficulty with because there are so many seams in spots where the skin is bright. I'd like to texturize it a bit, but the resolution of the different portions of skin just varies too much, and there'd be noticable lines around the shoulders and at the neck that couldn't be fixed without it looking really sloppy. It's no fault of madjai's, you are inherently going to want the head to be a higher resolution than say, the torso, to show more detail. If anyone with experience in photoshop has any suggestions(aside from texturizing, cuz it just ain't gonna work) lmk.
This is what I meant when I said it would be my first and last shirtless skin :(

Delmar
07-03-2002, 03:20 AM
well that makes sense. :) i'm looking forward to seeing it in-game since outcast has such a way of messing with the lighting and overall appearance anyway...

phoenixnl
07-03-2002, 03:50 AM
those skins look flat!!!.
sorry dude but im really not satisfied with the skin skinning depth is hard i can't do it but maybe someone else. at least dont continue doing the skin yourselve or go on learning skinning for a few months and then finish this skin but i gues that aint kewl aye :)

inbredyokel
07-03-2002, 04:35 AM
Ok, let me get this straight: You can't skin because "is hard," but after carefully examining the two 2D jpegs with those expert skinning eyes of yours, you are not "satisfied," because you of course should be since you are a paying client. Oh wait, I'm being sarcastic, I'm really doing all of this for free in the limited spare time I have, how about that.
I hate to sound like an ass, but you have no idea how frickin hard it is to skin an anatomically correct musculature completely from scratch. Maybe you should give it a shot yourself before condemning me to two months of "Skinning Camp."

keto
07-03-2002, 05:30 AM
Madjai, first off great model! i always love any monsterous models being added and you did an awesome job. about the problem you were having with body parts flying off, i am having the same problem with my model and was wondering if you could clue me in on to what you did to fix the problem. been browsing for the specified sithlordII thread about it but havent found it yet. it would be a real help,
thanks,
-keto

Madjai
07-03-2002, 06:01 AM
im assuming your talking about when the arms and a hand was floating somewhere else.

its actually pretty simple to fix, but can be a pain because you have to reweight the problem parts.
just select any part of your model that looks right then attach a part that is screwed up. now detach it and name it again, weight it again and set up the heirarchy again.
thats what fixed it for me.

sithlordii also said something about selecting your model and clicking reset pivot or something, but that didnt do anything for me.

hope that helps.

keto
07-03-2002, 08:02 AM
when you say attach and detach what exactly do you mean, do you mean link?

Madjai
07-03-2002, 08:10 AM
no i mean select a part of the model that works then under the modifier "edit mesh" click the ATTACH button then click a part of the model that is screwed up.

StitcheS
07-03-2002, 08:12 AM
Inbred,

I am sorry for the late post. I hope this will help you in your skins.

Just to state something that is a positive, before I get to the nitty gritty, I love the skin tone. I think that skin tone will work for Maw perfectly. Awesome job thus far.

Now to my peeves.

1. The cloth looks great, for a base. I think a little more detail, maybe add dirt and rip marks, would make this look more Maw-ish. I mean Maw is a mean, crule Sith who wants to look dirty and wretched. Some more little creases and cut offs in the cloth might make it look more realistic.

2. The metal looks utterly fantastic. All I can ask for is a few bits of scratches. Just because metal just doesn't corrode like that. It needs a few bumps and scratches. Maybe a bit of texture.

3. The skin. The colours are perfect. I guess you could go to a more orange fade, but it makes no difference. The back of his head, as stated before, needs something. I am not sure what, maybe an extra wrinkle or something. It looks kind of bland. But id the back of his head looks like that, then leave be.

I hope I got this in on time. Just because I wouldn't mind being apart of this models creation. Oh well if I don't.

I must applaud you Mr. Inbred. YOu have made a fantastic skin for a fantastic model! I hope you and Madjai work on more pieces to come!

Madjai
07-03-2002, 08:19 AM
just gotta say i love your avatar Stitches.

now onto a question for everyone:

Since is seems to be impossible to change the sounds shared by all player models im either going to have to let Maw have footsteps and landing sounds or change it so that none of the models have them or have them but sound like a repulsor lift would. Which shall it be?

inbredyokel
07-03-2002, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the comments, and I think I probably will be throwing in a little more "battle damage". I originally had planned to go for a straight jk1 to jk2 conversion, but I think it would add a lot to the quality of the skin. Maybe a little blood and mud soaked in those bandages. As for the lift, I looked at pictures of objects that were plated in a chrome finish and made of something else, like wrought iron, where the nice looking outer shell was starting to break down and fall apart, hence the deep wear on the edges. I've decided to tone down and simplify the back of the head a lot more, simply because I've discovered it looks quite ridiculous in game to skin all those deep dark ridges on a perfectly rounded head.

Madjai, maybe someone on the coding forum would be able to help with the sound problem. From what I can tell there are just 3 sounds that are out of place, footstep, landing sound, and hard landing sound. It would blow big time if you had to leave in the footsteps, I know that much. I'd say if the no footsteps thing were in effect for all models only while actually using the maw model, it wouldn't be bad at all. But if it permanently got rid of them, it might deter people from downloading him.

StitcheS
07-03-2002, 10:55 AM
Heh, Thanks Madjai!
I edited a MM sprite and did a little work on it to make it look like Maul. :)

As for the footstep problem. That is a big problem. If worse comes to worst, might I suggest just leaving the footstep sounds, but allow us to have the option of a taking out the othe footsteps.

Inbred,
I can't wait to see what you have planned for us! This model is going to rock. I think the worn/beaten look will add a more serious look to Maw. It will show him as the "Butt-Kicker", if you will.

I have waited so long to play as Maw. I am quite amazed that a poor Sith that made me so mad while playing JK1 would make me want to salivate all over my keyboard.

keto
07-03-2002, 11:11 AM
ah i love ya madjai , it worked, thanks a whole bunch :)
thanks again,
-keto

Madjai
07-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by StitcheS
I am quite amazed that a poor Sith that made me so mad while playing JK1 would make me want to salivate all over my keyboard.

im pretty sure hes a dark jedi, just had to point that out :)

ill probably release two versions, one with sounds and one without.

StitcheS
07-03-2002, 02:09 PM
Heh,

Dark Jedi, Sith. All the same in the end. Dead!

Just had to do that. Sorry, I will stop the flaming and useless rubbish now.

VIO
07-03-2002, 11:30 PM
good job everyone! o about the foot steps why can't you change only only one im sry if u answeared this a few pages back i just didn't have the time to read all of it, anyway why would you have to replace a sound can't you just rename a sound, or make a script or something that will change the sound? not sure how it works so sry if i sound weird

Madjai
07-04-2002, 12:20 AM
the problem is that the sounds are used by all player models, so if you change them it affects all of them. there is a file that points to these sounds but ive tried changing it and nothing happens, it doesnt seem to affect it at all.

Delmar
07-04-2002, 02:07 AM
definitely do *not* monkey around with any options that would remove other characters' sounds- that would be a huge deterrant for me to download Maw. Isn't there someone in the Coding forum who can help with this? I mean, for crying out loud, they got Yoda to be 60% his size in MP; surely someone can figure this problem out.

inbredyokel
07-04-2002, 03:27 AM
I started a thread last night in the coding forum, so hopefully someone will offer some assistance. Like you said, if they found a way to shrink yoda in multiplayer, then just about anything is possible.

alex2004
07-04-2002, 08:21 AM
This model is looking awesome. I was just wondering if there would be a single player version. Just incase Raven releases the sdk.

StitcheS
07-05-2002, 05:10 AM
I hate bumping. unfortunately I don't want this model to be lost on the second page. So I sacrifice my self. Ugh...

BUMP!

inbredyokel
07-05-2002, 05:22 AM
Someone made some suggestions in the coding forum thread http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=66744
Perhaps you'd like to look over what he says and see if it helps, since you're more familiar with that aspect of the model.

inbredyokel
07-06-2002, 01:08 PM
After working on team skins for a while, I went back to default Maw and finished him up. I played with about 20 different textures before I finally came across one that enhanced his skin while not making the seams stand out too much. In the md3view shots it looks a little spotty(almost like he has chicken pox), but let me assure you that the overall effect on the ingame appearance is positive. I also changed the shoulder blade area of the back to look better ingame when he's actually holding a saber, so it looks a little flat in the pictures. Some wounds and a little dirt were also tossed in to badassify him a bit more.
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/mawscreen2.txt
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/mawscreen3.txt

And here's an ingame shot with every video setting maxed out:
http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/mawscreen.txt

Unfortunately, for now the tubes will remain unanimated. After looking into it I became aware that it was an extremely complicated process, and I don't really feel like dealing with it right now.
So, unless anyone has any pressing concerns I'll be moving on to finish up the team skins. Rather than just do a cheap recolor job, I'm almost completely redoing the skins, with only parts of the face and lift being reused. Hopefully everyone will like what I've come up with :D

Madjai
07-06-2002, 01:23 PM
lookin good!

im taking a three week vacation in a week from sunday so im going to try and finish him before i leave, if inbredyokel doesnt finish the skins by then ill send him everything ive got and he can release it for me.

almost done, yippie!

StitcheS
07-06-2002, 01:28 PM
Wonderful skins!

I must say I am impressed. The bumps on the skin add so much more to it. I think I am looking at the real Maw! The blood, superb!

Unfortunately, I am a nit-picker. I think the cloth looks excellent, my only gripe is that it should have more little folds. Kinda like crease marks and smaller folds. It would add a more realistic view on the cloth.

Also, can I make a suggestion on the team colours? Well, I will anyways. Maybe the team colours should be shown by tatooes in the colour. Blue tatooes for the blue team, etc. I think that would be wonderful. As well as making the tubes a metallic colour of the team.

I think, if visable, you should really try to make the liquid in the tubes. I am sorry, but that would place this model/skin into a new level. You would be tredding into a whole new dimension.

These are just suggestions. If I had skills, I am sure I would give it a shot. But I am not that well adapted, unfortunately. Of course, you can just disregaurd all that I suggested. I don't want to force you into making this model the best it can be (Sorry for sounding mean. I just want this model to be perfect!).

Anyways, looks fantastic! I do suggest working on the cloth. That will add more realism, for sure!

StitcheS
07-06-2002, 01:32 PM
I am sorry for double posting. Just looking at this model, makes me want to cry. Honestly. Maw is my favourite "meanie" in the whole world. I must give my 100% approval on this model! If I could, I would meet you guys in person and shake your hands and buy you lunch. Job very well done!

Weapon X
07-06-2002, 02:25 PM
haha! i've never been tempted but i'm gonna put at least one spam on as many posts as possible!
I'm sorry:(

Grets Sirob
07-07-2002, 02:46 AM
Ani, you sicken me.

Anyway, that skin has got to be the most incredibly goodly wonderfully greatly good thing I've ever seen in my life.
Your skin is the most incredible thing I've seen.
I love it, I could kiss you...
Or not...

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.

inbredyokel
07-07-2002, 04:43 PM
Good to know Madjai and I have free food waiting if either of us should ever visit Vancouver. Thanks for the comments on the skin, I'm just grateful I have such a perdy model to work with. I'm about 80% done with my blue jedi skin, so here's a shot. I think I'll be calling him Skoth(please tell me if that's the name of any other prominent sw character/species).

http://www.geocities.com/inbredyokel2000/Skoth.txt

Just think of him as maw's jedi brother who coincidentally also lost his legs and has been somehow retrofitted with an almost identical repulsor sled :)

StitcheS
07-08-2002, 03:40 AM
Wow! He looks mean and blue! Good Job, Inbred! I m impressed!

Daskers
07-08-2002, 05:24 AM
Great work!

StitcheS
07-09-2002, 11:31 AM
I bump again!

Anyways, any updates?

If not, then i guess we'll see how long this can stay on the first page! ;)

Madjai
07-09-2002, 12:34 PM
it should be done by the end of the week, or weekend. the pk3 will not change any sounds like footsteps or landing sounds because of issues resulting in suckage. the models LOD's are standing at 2479/1959/1160. thats about all for now.

oh and i finally fixed the saber/gun holding position, i have NO idea why i had to screw around with it, the one provided by Major Clod should have worked...

inbredyokel
07-09-2002, 12:47 PM
I finished skinning yesterday, but I still need to toss together a little collage and do the bot file. Madjai is basically waiting for me to get done at this point:D

StitcheS
07-09-2002, 12:51 PM
So what you guys are saying is...

I WILL BE MAW THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I hope you guys live a long life! I know you guys deserve it!

Harukaze
07-09-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey guys, I'll also toss together an NPC spawning pack for him. I'm working on how to do that as we speak. The sad thing is he'll have to be spawned as RebornMaw, but that won't affect the name of the model elsewhere. Once you guys come up with what levels of Force Powers he has, I should be able to do the Icarus script for spawning.

inbredyokel
07-10-2002, 01:31 AM
If you post or PM me your email I can just send you the maw.jkb.
[edit]Nevermind, I've already got it [edit]

adillon
07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Unfortunately, for now the tubes will remain unanimated. After looking into it I became aware that it was an extremely complicated process, and I don't really feel like dealing with it right now.

well, inbred, if the mood so compels you, why don't you check out the tutorial here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials/shaders-1.shtml) on shaders. i realize it IS your skin and all, but what's maw without the fluids (or something like that)?

btw, the blue skin is looking great. whodathunk that brothers would manage to both get their legs cut off? do you think they got a good deal (you know, 2 for 1) on the repulsor lift sled thingies? :D

inbredyokel
07-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Thanks, that's extremely helpful. Now that Madjai will be delayed for a day or so fixing a problem, I just may include those.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Hey Madjai and inbredyokel I would be interested in creating a new custom npc using your model. I can create the file without the model so I will creat the basic npc file for him then if you approve then you can send me the model to make sure everything works correctly

inbredyokel
07-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Sounds like Harukaze is pretty much going to have that covered, since from what I understand he'll be using the maw model/skin in his JK1 tc. It's pretty much up to Madjai though what he wants to do.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:53 PM
I mean mine wont replace an npc but will be a new entry that is spawnable

inbredyokel
07-10-2002, 02:01 PM
Yes, I understand that. I'm just saying that if Maw is going to be used in the jk1 tc, he will have to be created as a separate npc at some point of time anyway. Hopefully at such a time they'll be able to incorporate flying and his random spinning, so he can piss us all off just like in the original :D

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:19 PM
I can incorparate him to be able to fly. Just give me a chance. I will let you edit it any way you want

inbredyokel
07-10-2002, 03:29 PM
Maw is going to be released in a couple days anyway, so you can do whatever you wish with him then as long as Madjai and I are given credit. As for releasing the NPC upon release, I don't believe that anyone could incorporate everything necessary(and do it well) and have it done in time anyway, let alone considering your rather ambiguous behavior lately. In all honesty, it will take a LOT for you to gain anyone's trust at this point, so you probably shouldn't waste your time with this kind of thing.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 03:35 PM
I can make it and send it to you really quick

studman0201
07-10-2002, 03:39 PM
RebornMaw
{
playerModel rebornmaw
saberColor red
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
height 78
crouchheight 42
width 18
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class desann
yawSpeed 120
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd maw
sndcombat maw
sndjedi maw
health 500
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scale 110
movetype flyswim
}

Put this in a file named maul.npc
put the npc file in ext_data

studman0201
07-10-2002, 03:40 PM
oh ya make a folder called rebornmaw and put a copy of the model.glm and the .skin files in there

Harukaze
07-10-2002, 08:08 PM
Studman drop it. I'm already handling it, and I'm going to attempt to make him like he was in JK1. Which includes doing my own Icarus script for him. No, it won't be ready for the release, since I want to go as detailed as possible in Icarus. Which requires a bit of time for me to learn some of the other commands. But for now, stop spamming this thread please.

StitcheS
07-11-2002, 02:58 AM
Harukaze,

I agree. You should do it. If this is going to be for a TC, I suggest you make the npc file. It will be made sure that it has the highest quality.

Sorry, studman.

Anyways, Inbred, I suggest you try your little heart out to get that fluid. It would look so awesome to have some fluid with Maw. I swear, it would put this model in the top tens of the world!

Grets Sirob
07-11-2002, 03:35 AM
It most certainly would!

*thanks Harukaze for his hard work and dedication to the jk1tc*

Anyway, anything on the red version?

Delmar
07-11-2002, 03:39 AM
grets, do you have a site for this mod yet? i checked your post in the sticky thread for mods but only saw an email addy

Grets Sirob
07-11-2002, 03:44 AM
No, not yet, we're only getting started.
Anyways, you may continue work now, inbred and madjai.

inbredyokel
07-11-2002, 05:02 AM
You'll just have to wait for release to see the red version. It's nothing super-special, but it's my favorite nonetheless. I've been working through the shader tutorial adillon linked me to, and I'm trying to make the tubes glow(just to understand the basics), but after reviewing my work probably a dozen times and following the tutorial to the letter, it still doesn't work. Is there something different about jedi outcast that I should know about? I'm just taking the torso texture psd(which has the tubes in it), adding an alpha channel, coloring over the tubes in the alpha channel, saving it in targa format, then removing everything(including the alpha channel) but the tubes, resaving that as a separate targa, and adding the 2 in Q3ASE with all the necessary additions(which is simple, and I'm sure there's no problem there). The skin file is pointing to the correct image, but it seems that the alpha channel in the torso texture is just being ignored, and it's using whatever is in the RGB channel behind it in the same image, so the torso appears just as it always did. If anyone can walk me through this PLEASE HELP.

adillon
07-11-2002, 05:13 AM
If anyone can walk me through this PLEASE HELP.

i don't know if i should feel proud that i could point you towards that tutorial, or if i should apologize for giving you such a headache. either way, i really hope you can figure this out, although i hate to admit i cannot. i think absath and bloodriot figured out the shader thing with their mandalorian model. they seemed to have disappeared from the forums however. there's an energy trooper skin someone made that uses shaders to make the "energy" flow through the suit. maybe you can try to contact one of those people for some help. best of luck.

btw, is the red skin going to be another one of maw's brothers who also happened to get his legs cut off?! what are the odds?

j/k :D

i am very psyched about this model, but patiently (albeit eagerly) await its debut in jkII. keep up the great work!

Harukaze
07-11-2002, 06:16 AM
I didn't get the .bot file in the mail yet, but there's no real rush on the Icarus scripting anyway. Once I get the model, I'll make the script and continue to play with it until Maw really feels like a boss in SP.

I figure, unless we figure out how to get HIM to spin [working on that], he'll probably be fond of saber throwing, yes? He's probably quite good at it, I'm sure. At least that much will spin ^_^ Other Force powers will continue to be tweaked until I get something right. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Maw didn't ever use lightning right? Or did I just never see him use lightning?

Madjai
07-11-2002, 06:33 AM
i think lightning is a sith only power, but of course there are exceptions in games. as far as i can remember kyle was the only one who used lightning in JK.

inbredyokel
07-11-2002, 07:11 AM
I sent you the maw.jkb file yesterday(or the day before), it should be all you need. The .bot file only contains the saber colors and the separate bot names, the jkb file contains the relevant stuff like reflex, accuracy, force powers, taunts, etc.

Harukaze
07-11-2002, 10:10 AM
Err, that was my brain-deaded-ness speaking. I was thinking .jkb when I said .bot, just confused which one does which. Check your PM, I'm going to message you my real address [not the mail-forwarding address I think you have].

Anyway, in playing around in Icarus, I think when he gets in SP I'll be able to custom make his movement sounds, meaning no silly footfall sounds for a creature with no feet! ^_^ I'm really beginning to like this mini-language.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 12:33 PM
Man calm down Dude. I was just askin'. I think the model is awesome except he looks a little cartoony/airbrushed.

Emon
07-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Madjai
since im using sounds from JK1 do i have to contact LEC and ask them for permission?
if so, can someone tell me who to contact?

Carefully read the JK and JO EULAs, read them over a few times. It shouldn't be hard to think of a loophole between the two which would technically allow you to use the sounds legally, seeing as both EULAs are quite vague. Then just attach it to the readme and level description and it can never be taken down. :p

nucular_jedi_14
07-11-2002, 09:36 PM
u 2 kicked major ass on this project and btw yall make a great modeling team, and i agree the only thing wrong is that it looks a little 2 airbrushed, but besides that 1 word:GREAT

inbredyokel
07-12-2002, 03:57 AM
There was a nice power outage last night when a power pole across the road was washed away(and my subwoofer and speakers were somehow blown out by the power surge, even though they were plugged into a surge protector), so I didn't get anything done on the shaders. Not that it makes much difference though, since I found out I need to use ShaderEd2 for jedi outcast, and there are no tutorials or readmes explaining how to use it for someone who is as shader-challenged as I am. I've posted a couple threads asking for help in this forum and the general editing forum, but to no avail. Apparently everyone knows as little about shaders as I do. I would email the creaters of the energy trooper, but their emails aren't listed in the readme. Unless I'm able to find some help very soon, shaders will just have to wait until a maw 1.1 patch.

As for the airbrushed look of the skin, if you're talking about the head I'm way ahead of you. After I got pissed off at shadered2 yesterday, I felt like improving something, so I started to retune the face. It was the first part I did, and after mastering the maw skin palate from doing the whole body, I thought I could make it a bit better.

adillon
07-12-2002, 05:11 AM
inbred, i feel like such a schmoe. :o

i send you to that tutorial, which doesn't help you out, and i TOTALLY COMPLETELY UTTERLY ABSOLUTELY forgot about ShaderEd2. i must've played around with all the jkII editing tools for hours on end, just for the halibut ... pathetic, i know.

tell you what, i'm gonna get into it as soon as i get some free time (hopefully soon :p), because i think i know what needs to be done to make a moving fluid type shader. here's a dumb question ... if i do figure it out prior to maw's release, would you want me to provide you with the know-how? if it doesn't happen until after its release, you can always make a maw 1.1, right?

i'll see what i can do.

btw - don't you just LOVE power outages?

inbredyokel
07-12-2002, 05:28 AM
If you figure it out before release and can quickly impliment it, by all means go for it. Don't worry about teaching it to me. Just PM me and I'll email you everything you need. It's no big deal that you kinda pointed me the wrong way, the tutorial was pretty useful in teaching the basics of shaders, even if it was for the wrong program. Eventually I want to learn how to use them pretty thoroughly, they're a very valuable skinning tool that most people ignore. I will include it when it is figured out, even if it is for 1.1.

inbredyokel
07-12-2002, 05:00 PM
Ok, word from Madjai is that Maw will be released tomorrow, but without the shaders. Don't worry though, they WILL be released in a 1.1 update. There will be enhanced head textures for all three skins though. That is, if Madjai checks his hotmail before he submits the file :) Unfortunately the little maw collage included with the pk3 will not have the updated textures, so expect to see something a little different in-game.

DarthBob
07-12-2002, 05:22 PM
Maw is awesome!! I can't wait to see this model! A for sure download for me!!