PDA

View Full Version : Yuuzhan Vong soldier (wip)

keto
06-18-2002, 12:27 PM
hey all,
i know there is atleast 2-3 other people working on Yuuzhan Vongs but just wanted to post mine of a soldier based off the RPG/card game picture (i think).

concept art(not mine) :
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/yuuzhanvong/img/eu_bg.jpg

** geocities, sorry please drag to address bar **

model:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongflat3d.jpg

model texture wip:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongtextwip1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongtextbackwip1.jpg

if you dont know about the Yuuzhan Vong you can read up at the SW database:
http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/yuuzhanvong/eu.html (yea chewbacca killer)

model: it comes in at a hefty 3580 (un segmented) but i coudl lower it to 3000 without too much loss of detail if needed but i am thinking of keeping it at 3.5k+ and then just definately have LOD support.

skin: the screenshot skin may look a bit bluury but that is mostly because i had to shrink it down to 256x256 bmp indexed color for milkshape, in game the texture files will be mostly 512x512 jpgs so it will be more precise.
the pale skin of the YV on the texture is just a color place holder, and a lot more detail is to be added to the armor and all other parts of it.

i also plan on making an amphi staff if one isnt made before i finish the soldier.

well let me know what you think , crits, comment , etc.
-keto

Ozma
06-18-2002, 12:34 PM
I don't like the Vong.......But I'll download it just so I can slice them up :)
I wish someone would do more jedi...

inbredyokel
06-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Looks very nice. I hope you're going to base the face a little more off the book cover, because the RPG pic's face looks a little ridiculous...kind of like a bat/vampire man. But that's just my opinion. Keep up the good work!

Bungalow
06-18-2002, 01:24 PM
You should base the face off of Rapruung

keto
06-18-2002, 02:41 PM
sorry guys but i did plan to make the face like the one off of the rpg/card. i kinda liked the vampire/bat look but i havent read any of the books so dont know if it is neccesarily true to their description.

any pics or links to rapruung?

i might add an extra head/facial skin that coudl be alphaed out , not sure though cause then the pcount would be even bigger but im pretty sure it woudl work (just make it a child of the original head for the heirarchy , and figure out HOW to get the aplha channles working correctly in game)

thanks for the comments :)
-keto

remark 666
06-18-2002, 05:16 PM
like I said on ICQ, that character looks awesome :D

the model looks great so far, I know you'll do a kickass skin ( maybe I can do a blue ctf version of him too :rolleyes: )

Don Gero
06-18-2002, 05:25 PM
I hate that Yuuzhan Vong picture. I've read all of the New Jedi Order books and I loved them, but when I saw that picture I nearly threw up. It is not what I imagined the Yuuzhan Vong to look like. He looks more like Count Dracula in his battle armor then a Yuuzhan Vong warrior. If anybody is making a Yuuzhan Vong model please don't use that picture as a base. Read the books and us your imagination.

To help you with that imagination thing here are the books "Edge of Victory I: Conquest" and "Star by Star". These are what the Yuuzhan Vong are meant to look like. The one on the cover of Conquest (not the chick, the little guy in the corner) is Vua Rapuung, one groovy fella and the second is of Tsavong Lah (I think), another groovy fella.

Edge of Victory I: Conquest - http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0345428641.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Star by Star -http://images.amazon.com/images/P/034542848X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Enjoy

remark 666
06-18-2002, 05:55 PM
I like that one, he looks good (if only it was a full body shot)

remark 666
06-18-2002, 06:22 PM
and look at what I found ^_^

http://www.ffurg.com/casting_call/vong.htm

http://www.ffurg.com/casting_call/cc-15.htm

http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/pics/denning-yuuzhan.jpg

http://www.unjoh.com/gallery/lewispaper.jpg

http://www.unjoh.com/gallery/eg-vong.jpg

http://www.unjoh.com/gallery/eg-gnullith.jpg

hope this helps -__-

adillon
06-18-2002, 08:59 PM
keto's making a yuuzhan vong?! i was looking forward to one of your anti-jedi monk guys, but i guess this'll do. :rolleyes:

seriously, man, he's looking *BLEEP* awesome! and how could he not, your kronar kicked @$$ too.

keep up the great work!

Pnut_Man
06-18-2002, 09:01 PM
I love the NJO! And this yuuzhan vong soldier idea kicks ass! NOT ONLY DID THE YUUZHAN KILL CHEWIE...THEY KILLED ANAKIN SOLO! THOSE BUTT ****ERS ARE GOING DOWN WHEN THIS MODEL GETS RELEASED...

BTW... I was thinking, maybe you could replace the stormies in single player with the yuuzhan vong soldiers, then you or some other dude could figure out how to change the thermal detenators into thud bugs :) hehe...

Anyway, great model, hope to see more updates soon.

Lucko Mabri
06-18-2002, 11:32 PM
c00lage! That model is emazing! Keto you always make the different models like kronar :D

Epimetheus
06-19-2002, 01:21 AM
A splendid idea, though I'm not sure many people who aren't Star Wars readers are going to really know who they are...

Taelon
06-19-2002, 01:36 AM
well, i sure don't know what they are, but if they killed chewie, they must be cool. (in the skilled sort of way)

and looking at some of that art, they looked alot like infested kerrign from starcraft.

P.S., dont kill me for mentioning starcraft or killing chewie being cool.

remark 666
06-19-2002, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by Taelon
P.S., dont kill me for mentioning starcraft or killing chewie being cool.

HAHA :D

yeah, this model is going to kick ass

keto
06-19-2002, 01:35 PM
alright skin update

** geocities, please drag to address bar **

front:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongfronttext.jpg

chest close up:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongchesttext.jpg

face front close up:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongfacefronttext.jpg

face side close up:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongsidefacetext.jpg

chest flats:
http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/vongchestflat.jpg

still working on the face but mostly little coloration things, and messing with the positions of the eys cause they look off to me. as well as the extrutions they have on the sides of their heads look a little cartoonish to me.

again these shots were taken in milkshape so the texture are 256x256indexedbmp to show how the detail will be alittle better i included the chest flat at higher res, which i am thinking of making it 1024x1024 even... but that may slow down systems too much.

the side of the face i really like how it turned out but i still havent corrected the 2 faces under its nose/nasal hole.

Pnut_Master: that is a very cool idea, i had forgotten about the thud bugs, i woudl also like to model them .what might be really cool is if they crawl around after the opponent kinda like sarks.
though if a New Jedi Order Mod comes out i dont think that they would use this model in particular because as mentioned before the concept doesnt portray what seems to be the masses idea of what the Yuuzhan Vong look like. and i know of atleast 2 other modelrs doing the YV, 1 of which is doing them based off the books description.

adillon: yea antijedi soon, i showed it to some people at a lan and it was laughed at so it need some more work :P mostly i wanted to get in on making an SW uni character before the all the morbid and sick ones were gone :)

so let me know what you think and ill begin working on the other possible head/ getting it ready for the 3dsmax conversion.

thanks,
-keto

nucular_jedi_14
06-19-2002, 01:37 PM
the screenshots please post new ones!

keto
06-19-2002, 01:42 PM
hmm you sure, did you drag and drop to the adress bar?

Delmar
06-19-2002, 06:55 PM
i can see 'em and i must they look freakin' AWESOME!!!!

wow man, you seem to really have outdone yourself here. that model with its skin looks almost exactly like the picture you're using for reference! :joy:

adillon
06-19-2002, 10:18 PM
YIKES!

he's scaring the bejeezus outta me.

i can't say it enuff, keto, *BLEEP* incredible work man!

remark 666
06-21-2002, 03:24 AM
really good, the skins is awesome (this might be my next fav model, better then kronar even)

BradFu
06-21-2002, 06:54 AM
Very cool, Keto! It may not look like the typical Yuuzhan Vong, but all the Vong look different, depending on their personal preferences. They all mutilate themselves in different ways, and often add parts from other creatures. It's almost like a contest, where the weirder and more mutilated you are, the more points you get. I think this model fits into the Vong society just fine :) One thing to note about the armor is that it should look organic plating, I always imagined it to be lobster-like, it's actually called Vonduun Crab armor. Make sure it doesn't look like it's manufactured. On the chest, it looks like it has two rivet-like objects, and while those are on the concept art, I would recommend shying away from them or at least doing them in a way that looks a bit more natural.

keto
06-21-2002, 08:39 AM
Thanks for the comments guys :)

finished segmentation and imported into max .. everything seems to be ok for now, moving onto heirarchy and weighting.

BradFu: yea the art isnt very true to concept of them but for this model i wanted to be as true to the art as possible. i plan to do atleats 1 other skin (besides ctf) that is a little more true to the Vong description , pale blueish skin, crab-like armor, differnet face etc. and about the rivets i see what you mean i shoudl have given them a few more polys to have more a curve , for the more true variation i think i will alpha out most of the red tube/backthings/mouthtourturer device.

thanks again,
-keto

Epimetheus
06-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Fufufufu... as soon as this is finished, we'll see how well they can perform against Chewbacca...

Mwa ha ha.

Emon
06-21-2002, 10:01 AM
Maybe I missed something huge, but last I checked you cannot model player models in Milkshape because of skelaton problems... you can't export the skelaton as an MD3 then make it into a GLM.

Sorry to tell you, but to my knowledge, if you're making this in Milkshape, you're wasting your time. :(

If I'm wrong and you CAN make GLMs with Milkshape and have them work in game, disregaurd this message. :)

It does, however, look great.

Chiss Lord
06-21-2002, 11:06 AM
HOLY #### THAT KICKS @$$!!!! When are you going to be able to release this thing?

Emon, I've never heard anything about that. But this guy definitely has experience, which means he probably already did a character model in milkshape, so he would know.

keto
06-21-2002, 11:45 AM
Epimetheus: bwahaha die pathetic wookie! j/k yea i didnt even think of that i guess that woudl be pretty fun :)

Emon: yes you are correct MilkShape cannot export to glm, i model in MS just because it is what i am used to and am a lot faster at it. i then set everything up and import it (3ds) into 3dsmax. and thanks :)

alright little update finished heirarchy and did vertex weighting, wnet a lot faster this time compared to the 11 days it took just to figure out how to do it with kronar :P loaded it up in modview and it looked kinda messed up but alright, upon pressing the play button all hell broke loose and his arms started flailing around 3 times long then they should be... then went the knees right off the calves ... man how i despise this vertex weighting :P

alright so now going back and attempting to fix things
-keto

keto
06-21-2002, 12:41 PM
even smaller update but one that i like:
i got the legs working 1 of them (the left one) works almost perfectly (no clipping, just a little ugly deformation because i didnt model it correctly/give it enough verts there) but what it may mean is that i can and know how to fix kronars legs , but again it is a maybe.

also through more examination the thing with the arms gets weirder at the begging of the animation its arms are off to the sides horizontal , perpindicular to the model and lower around its pelvis off to the side. i have no clue why they are doing this as i used the same bones that i did for kronars arms and they worked... well better than these :P

the quest continues,
-keto

remark 666
06-21-2002, 12:58 PM
maybe he was right about the MS thing, ask someone who made a good working model for JK2, that might solve some problems, just wondering.

Emon
06-21-2002, 01:42 PM
Oooh yeah, I forgot about exporting to 3DSM, then exporting to GLM. I thought of that eariler, but I don't have 3DSM yet. Keep up the great work!

nucular_jedi_14
06-21-2002, 03:14 PM
A must have for my colection of skins and models collection!!!

p.s. when i showed my dad this model he said he'd also add it to his collection!!

icepool
06-22-2002, 04:49 AM
I HAVE TO SAY THIS GREAT ****ING JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MODELS I'VE EVER SEEN. ITS RIGHT UP THERE WITH YODA, DOOKU, AND THE MAUL MODEL. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE YUUZHAN VONG HAVE BEEN THE BEST STARWARS STORIES IN A LONG TIME. CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!:smirk2:

remark 666
06-23-2002, 01:39 AM
*BUMP*

anymore progress ?? :D

keto
06-23-2002, 01:59 AM
alright well frustrated with it not working i decided to just reimport the whole thing into max , going very slowly and redo everything to the best of my ability,

i checked in modview where the bones were and if it could possibly be a skeleton problem but they are all in the right spot. then i rotated the arms in max 90degrees the other directio and in mod view they were up the right way but still flung around like crazy. when i first imported to max i had to rotate and move the arms as a whole and now it is these specifically that are having problem. i tried moving and rotating the legs a little bit to see if they woudl freak out but they worked fine after the move.

i was thinking it might be a heirarchy problem like maybe they didnt get the right parents or they have no parents at all but i unlinked them and relinked them to the torso and still no go.

so it may take some extra time but im going in for another try :)

thanks all for the support :)
-keto

KOP_+GOD'sLion+
06-23-2002, 02:07 AM
Even thought i don't like the guy he should turn out as an intresting skin/model, an idea for the CTF version your should make him wear the mask seen in this pic that remark posted
at

remark 666
06-23-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by KOP_+GOD'sLion+
Even thought i don't like the guy he should turn out as an intresting skin/model, an idea for the CTF version your should make him wear the mask seen in this pic that remark posted
at

doesn't he look sexy ;)

so many damn problems keto, maybe next time try modeling in max and see what comes up of it

keto
06-23-2002, 03:27 AM
KOP_+GOD'sLion+ : thats a pretty good idea, it woudl use the secondary head/backthing setup, ill have to try it thanks :)

remark 666 : aw i wouldnt abandon my beautiful milkshape, i dont think that that is causeing to much of the problems i think it is mostly my inexperiance with max that is causig them. for next model going to dload the milkshape glm importer , cause one thing that might be messing up in max is that i have to motate and move parts of the body around before vertex weighting. so ill import kyle into ms and rotate, zoom, and move everything around in milkshape so when i import to max the model will be ready to go.

maybe some progress later today, working on some map ideas right now...
-keto

keto
06-24-2002, 05:51 AM
alright fixed a few little things in milkshape then reimported to 3dsmax. did the heirarchy and re-weighting the vertecies. the arms work now :) although soem small things need to be modified so that they look a little better. but now i have a new major bug plagueing the vong. it is that one of legs(right leg) shoots off to the side (still connected) but then doesn'r tun like th other one, hopefully i made some silly weighting error and it can be fixed easily cause im tired of errors i cant explain :P.

back to work :P
-keto

remark 666
06-26-2002, 05:37 PM
BUMP

Altimira
06-26-2002, 09:01 PM
for geocities, upload the pics, then rename them to .txt. Then you dont have to do that stupid draging thing:D

keto
06-27-2002, 12:01 AM
if you have them as .txt then no one can save the image. like for the space monkey tut all of the images were itxt so the only way to save them was taking screenshots of the page and cropping them. then when the downloadable one came out i still couldnt see the pistures because of microsoft word compatability issues. ive got the pictures now but back then it was a pain trying to work around the .txt thing.

updtae on the "god hates keto error" (any error i cant explain) since i had 1 leg working correctly i tried to mirror it to the other side re-heirarchy and re-weight it. upon entering modview the leg shot up upsidedown behind the player and continued to move from there. i still have no idea what is causing the problem. i have 2x checked if i named everythign correclty and if tags had some thing to do with it but i have them all in the positions of the working leg. sorry for the lack of updates but just been really frustrated with it.

hopefully ill get this thing working soon,
-keto

keto
07-03-2002, 11:31 AM
*An Corp*

woo hoo, Madjai, who was informed by sithlordii, just told me how to fix the error. so now his body parts are staying together yay.

going to make the ctf skins, then the alternate more true to the book skin/model adjustment.

soon the vong invasion shall began, mwahahahaaa ....
em well im just a little excited to see it working :)
-keto

nucular_jedi_14
07-03-2002, 06:55 PM
just wondering.........

keto
07-04-2002, 02:56 AM
probably release today with the basic one (ctf [color change] and default) working on bot file now, reading up on their language , the bot yells cuss words and insults in its own language but also "can speak the language of the infidels" even if it "tastses like the droppings of an ill animal" on their tongue

some of the quotes are from the more famous of the vong but i thought they were fitting: "ill sacrifice you to the gods and then rip your heart out" etc. etc. :P

just need to modify the legs a little and its ready to go.

Delmar
07-04-2002, 03:18 AM
woohoo! i'm gonna enjoy my holiday weekend!! (yes, it's sad that a model can do that for me, but hey- i like the vong)

-DS-Tha Skurge
07-04-2002, 09:32 PM
a thot u said u wis gonna release it yestaday.........or did u say prob?

:laughing: neway.minted model ma man!:D :laughing: :laughing:

Epimetheus
07-05-2002, 01:26 AM
Wow, not only does it look awesome in-game, it also looks good in screenshots. Nice to see a model get done so quickly...

t3rr0r
07-05-2002, 02:51 AM
this model is really well done. works perfectly in-game.

mace_sundancer
07-05-2002, 03:38 AM
i can't dl the vong model, what's up? i get booted back to the front page of jediknightii.net...

Ninja-Wan
07-05-2002, 03:54 AM
Try it again Mace.
I didn't have any problems.
See ya ;)

Galactic Magi
07-05-2002, 10:49 AM
very nice body model however the face looked very neglected of detail. It looked nice but it looks like you just modeled the ears and the head structure without modeling any parts of his face and stuck the skin on. I loved the skin though but it needs to have a face model.

Corran2015
07-05-2002, 12:01 PM
What kind of ****ing dickfaced amature uses a picture thats is anywhere even RELATED to starwars.com, most of the pictures they use their are not only inaccurate with the books but they really do look bad, I still can't get that really ugly one of jacen solo out of my mind, god that picture is ugly. Get your samples off of book covers and out of the descriptions IN the BOOKS, because other than a few characters like Corran Horn Mara Jade and Talon Karrde, theres not many good accurate pictures of EU characters. And even the behind the scenes pics of corran horn looking like dash bloody rendar are crap.

keto
07-05-2002, 12:18 PM
thanks all :)

Galactic Magi : yea , my modeling skills arent the best, especially when it comes to somehting that cant be easily made out of a cylinder. the face is in fact just a slightly tweaked sphere-like cylinder, with a jaw.
in a way i thought that it was the best way to do it because i wanted the detail of the spikes and tentacles and i knew with all of those the pcount would be pretty high (3580)

-DS-Tha Skurge : yea you caught me i did say i was going to release it yesterday. but i fell asleep and woke up around 12:00am so i got it all togetehrt and sent it in around 12:30

Corran2015 : critic taken, i first off have not read any of the books, so am lacking as a true to eu concept. i choose to do the model off of that reference mostly because i was tired of humans (and i am bad at them :P ) and i wanted to do something freakish and grotesque. i looked at the covers and just wasnt riled like i was when i saw the one at starwars.com. also i have heard others talk about how they are working on Yuuzhan Vong models, i heard one of them talking about doin Nom Anor and the other doing a Tsavong Lah in a more true to the book way. seeing that both of these creators were doing them i knew that my place was the rpg concept of them. i know to the reader it seems like a bat/rat man with stupid expression on its face :P
im sorry it does not meet up to your standards.

special thanks to Don C. McPartland (hes the guy who puts up the files) for taking screenshots of the model in game! very nice , thanks again,
-keto

Drew Carey
07-05-2002, 02:00 PM
I might be missing something here, but I've played with the model for a few minutes and it seems that every one of the force attacks are generated from the side of his body and not from his hand.
For example: the red hand in Grip seems to be floating on the side and not infront of his hand. Also, with the lighting; it is generated from the side of his body and not from the front of his hand.
Hope you fix this.

keto
07-05-2002, 02:59 PM
waaa! i dont use force so i didnt notice it!
ah thank you so much, i fixed it, bolt_l_hand was weighted to pelvis like all th other bolts , but it shoudl have been weighed to l_hand.

http://www.geocities.com/corruptionroms/YuuzhanVong2.zip

ill send in and hopefully get it fixed arg i should have noticed it before i sent in to jk2.net. beta testers , definately for next model...

thanks again Drew Carey (... for real?)

Galactic Magi
07-05-2002, 03:22 PM
Im surprised you can brush off retarded flamers like that keto! Corran starts a mindless bashing out of pure idiocy and immaturity and you can just brush it off. Just goes to show you how stupid some people can be because someones creation isnt up to their standards. Corran if you dont like it dont download the model and dont post in the thread, or better yet, do us all a favor and leave permanently! If he wanted to base it off another picture let him! Theres other models of this guy being made so its nice to have a little variety in the look.

t3rr0r
07-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Corran2015
What kind of ****ing dickfaced amature uses a picture thats is anywhere even RELATED to starwars.com,
you, sir, are an idiot.

Drew Carey
07-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Hey man you put me in the "Thanks" in your readme!. That is Wack!.
I appreciate it, thank you very much and I was glad to help.

P.S. I also wrote the same comment in the front page of the site, so just disregard it.

Delmar
07-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Corran2015
Lots of ignorant commentary

Dude, get a life and then use it to make your own models that are up to your ultra-strict fan-boy standards. :rolleyes:

KETO: You are the man, keep up the good work. Just want you to know that your hard work is appreciated.

icepool
07-05-2002, 11:51 PM
Thanks for thanking me even though all i did was compliment you model. But seriously this is definately one kick ass model. And for anyone that has a problem with it not looking like the book I think it does for the most part so just use this one to replace the stormtroopers or reborn and when nom anor tsvalong come out they replace desann and tavion. But anyways great job keto!!!!!!!!!:D

nucular_jedi_14
07-06-2002, 08:36 AM
thanks keto my name was on jediknightii.net and in the readme!

and btw, what's ur next project?

Corran2015
07-06-2002, 11:51 AM
How bout those that have read the books this character is in post their comments? At least those that have a brain powerful enough to figure out what a vong looks like from the picture of Vua on on ebook cover, a hell of a lot of other descriptions inside the book, and that one face on Vector Prime.

keto
07-06-2002, 12:01 PM
well thank you for thanking me for thanking you :)

next project is a large one and will take more time than other projects in the past. i dont really want to give any detail on it as i want to get more done before any news.

-keto

BuRn
07-06-2002, 02:35 PM
really well done model. i think it fits the feel of the Vong, and since their is so many different ways the vong CAN look according to the books it leaves the community more chances to make some different soldiers.

if i can ever get this NJO mod worked out (still finishing the design document) ill email you about using the model.

once again, great work. ill have some fun hunting down those jedi-killers ;)

Weapon X
07-06-2002, 02:42 PM
haha! i've never been tempted but i'm gonna put at least one spam on as many posts as possible!
I'm sorry:(

Lucko Mabri
07-06-2002, 02:55 PM
ep2 Anakin "haha! i've never been tempted but i'm gonna suck ****! I'm Sorry :(

:swear: Dammn *******

-Lucko Mabri

remark 666
07-06-2002, 04:24 PM
I love this model, you had my support from the beggining bro (and always will), I might do an extra skin for him too ;)

I wish you'd do that girl that I sent you pictures off but since you're scared of girl type models I don't think that'll happen anytime soon (she's really good for it though, she has that look) but eh.. w/e

AuggieBenDoggie
07-09-2002, 05:59 AM
Any chance someone could make a Lord Nyax model for JKII, he is from the New Jedi Order book Rebel Stand, he is 3 meters tall so that cant be done but the lightsabers from arms, elbow, knees and feet would be cool:)

Excellent Vong skin:)