PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question = Need Response

bleek
06-19-2002, 05:24 AM
Can anyone tell me how to replace the original torso of a character with a torso I painted on? Its the same torso from the character just with a different design I made for it. Is it possible to do that?

bleek
06-19-2002, 06:07 AM
cmoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

gt r?
06-19-2002, 06:18 AM
Well did you renamed the .skin file ?
Like if iyour skin name is knight rename your .skin file to model_default_knight
and then put in each part _knight go in game and it should work .

bleek
06-19-2002, 08:12 AM
Put _knight where? In the torso.jpg? ..and everything else?
Also when I do all that it is a folder...do I turn the folder into a pk3 file after that?...if so how?

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 08:28 AM
I think he means is go into your model_default.skin file and then under where the skin name is edit it. Like this.
-----------------------------------------------------------
hips,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_legs.tga
hips_torso,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_torso.tga
torso,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_torso.tga
torso_l_shoulder,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_torso.tga
torso_r_shoulder,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_torso.tga
r_arm,models/players/jeditrainer/trainer_torso.tga
----------------------------------------------------------------
Only where it says "jeditrainer" you put in _knight(if your skinname is _knight) or whatever the name of the skin is.
Hope that clears it up a bit.

-Andee:fett:

bleek
06-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Thx that might help me out a bit

Droidekas
06-19-2002, 08:51 AM
Why don't you start by reading the damn skinning tutorial by raven? It's everywhere, find it and read it. If you don't understand then post questions. By what you posted, I might as well come there and fix it myself, it would be simpler.

bleek
06-19-2002, 08:58 AM
LOL ...I did....I get everything down up to step 3....I don't understand that rename the file you edit and put it back into something else and that should replace something blah blah blah ....I dunno....

I extracted the jedi model from assest0.pk3. When i rename the model thing and edit the .tga things do do i leave everyting in the reg file I extracted...if so then what do i do with it?....put it in the base part?

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Dude, I think you are jumping WAY ahead of yourself. Try reading some of the stickys in this forum, they might help out a bit.

Nanodagiardino
06-19-2002, 09:21 AM
You are lost. hehehe

extract from assets0

than modify skin

than make sure that your *.skin file points to the images you have edited with the right path and names (doesn't matter if it's tga or jpg)

than you need to compact everything back into a separate pk3 file with the name of yout skin.

use winzip and make sure you have the right folder hierarchy.
wich is models/players/nameofyourskin

highlight models, right click and add to zip, give it the name of your model.

change extension of zip file to pk3

finish

I'm sure my help is not flawless, but it should help you to figure out things

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Nicely put Nano, you basicly just solved my problem too.

But my peoblem is that when i edit my .skin file and put in the edited file name, its JPG..even though everyone on there says targa. And also when i do put it in and save the .skin doc then try to run modview. it wont show that peice of skin on the model unless its under targa.

bleek
06-19-2002, 10:55 AM
K...I wanna get some help before I screw something up since I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. Ok, so far I extracted all of the jedi crap from the assest0 file. Then I found the model_default.skin and changed it to model_default_jediX.skin. Next I modified the torso and hand and saved them with _jediX.skin at the ends.
Do I put the torso and the hand into the model_default_jediX.skin file? How do I put their path to point them to my file?

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 11:14 AM
Okay heres what you do, some some good detail.

1:Extract the skin files out of assets0.

2: go to the file and get your model_default.skin and rename it to "model_default_JediX.skin"

3: then edit the jpeg files and save them back under THE SAME NAME(overwrite it)

4: go into your "model_default_jediX.skin" use notepad or wordpad but i suggest notepad. Then edit where it says the model name. like if you wanted to edit the lando skin you would go into the .skin file and see something like this.
------------------------------------------------hips,models/players/jedi/legs.tga
hips_torso,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
torso,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
torso_l_shoulder,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
torso_r_shoulder,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
r_arm,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
r_hand,models/players/jedi/basic_hand.tga
r_hand_wrist,models/players/jedi/torso.tga
r_hand_cap_r_arm_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_arm_cap_r_hand_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
r_arm_cap_torso_off,models/players/stormtrooper/caps.tga
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------So then what you do is on every line where it says 'jedi' you replace it with "JediX", BUT dont EVER touch the ones that says "stormtrooper"

5: save the .skin file after done editing leave the folder you are in, and then rename the folder to "JediX"

I hope I made some sence :D :wstupid:

bleek
06-19-2002, 11:29 AM
Thx soooooo much for all that help....clears up a crap load of poop.:p
Aight.....just 2 more questions...then I think the retard(me) has it!
Do I neeeed to make a new icon for my skin?
Once the file is named jediX....do I need to change it into a pk3 file...if so how? Then do I put it into the base folder.
Thats all I need.

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 11:39 AM
1: the icon, yes you do need it. i'm not too sure how to go about it but you DO need to.

2:I use PakScape to make my pk3's try google.com for it

3: Yes after its a pk3 then just put it in basefolder :)

4:HAVE FUN!

bleek
06-19-2002, 12:15 PM
Finally someone that treats people who don't know crap ...nicely :o .
THANK YOU VERRRRRRY VERRRRRRY MUCH

andee_dean
06-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Heh, no problem. Send us a screenie when it finished so we can see the work!

bleek
06-20-2002, 06:38 AM
Sup.
I dunno how to use that PakScape thing sadly :confused: .
Instead I extracted the jediX file to a zip file and then renamed that to a pk3 file. It put the icon of my dood in the game but when I tried to use him he just looked like the normal skin.
Can ya tell me if there is a way to fix that...or tell me how to use PakScape to change it into a pk3 that worx :( .

bleek
06-20-2002, 12:25 PM
Helpy helpy HELPY :p :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :D

bleek
06-20-2002, 01:20 PM
:3headed: :monkey4:
:naughty: :dozey: :newbie:
:monkey1:

Plasmacoolant
06-20-2002, 11:25 PM
Bleek,

It sounds like your .skin files are still pointing to the original images of the model you are editing and not to your new modified ones.

Since you've made icons I assume you want your new skins for Multiplayer not as replacements for a Single Player character.

In any case you may want to send your .pk3 to me and I'll tell you what you need to change - this should only take a couple of minutes. plasmacoolant@hotmail.com

-Plas

bleek
06-21-2002, 01:44 AM
Thx dood. Once you figure out the prob...can you tell me how to fix it in this forum. That skin is just to see how to work everything. I'd like to do a much better skin and take a loooot more time on it

bleek
06-21-2002, 04:39 AM
Couple minutes? :(
Have ya fixed anything yet?:o

bleek
06-21-2002, 05:49 AM
Wow emailed him for nothing :(

-"I Like Allotta CHEEZE witha my PUDDIN,"said the monkey with his pink elephant friend. (They are both gay)

:elephant: :monkey4:

bleek
06-21-2002, 08:05 AM
w00t
ROGER
WHAT
WHERE
HOW
DO
I
DO
IT?

Plasmacoolant
06-21-2002, 10:33 PM
If you have sent me an email, I haven't received anything.

And yeah after working with model skinning for Quake 3, ST: Elite Force and the JK2 .pk3 file structure, this kind of stuff only takes a couple of minutes....... that is if I have the file to work on???

Try and send it again. I've received about 10 email today so I know the account is active.

plasmacoolant@hotmail.com

-plasma.. :c3po:

bleek
06-21-2002, 10:39 PM
I got all the paths to point to my skin....but the skin still doesnt work ingame...only the icon works:confused:

Plasmacoolant
06-21-2002, 10:44 PM
I'd rather take a look at it , than guess at the problem.
Easier that way.

-plas

bleek
06-22-2002, 01:14 AM
There are also other peeps helping me under a diff thread called Skin Almost Done...HELP!....think thats the name. I've progressed...perhaps....a little there with their help but still with no success of actually seeing my skin.

Plasmacoolant
06-22-2002, 11:29 AM
Bleek, I still haven't received anything.

Perhaps your filesize is too big for hotmail's file limits, or you are sending it as a .pk3 instead of a .zip (I've had trouble sending .pk3 in the past).

If not send me a normal email without any attachments and I will send you an alternate email address you can email it to me with.

-Plas

bleek
06-26-2002, 11:56 PM
sniffle...i still wanna learn how to make a skin :(

Nanodagiardino
06-27-2002, 01:47 AM
The file structure has to be like this.

models/players/jedix/*the stuff*

everything paked correctly in pk3.
not with absolute path names but relative path names

not c:/programfiles/lucasart/etc/etc/models/players/jedix/*the stuff*
but ../models/players/jedix/*the stuff*

You do need the icon
You can make a custom one, it has to be 256x256px

make sure your .skin file points to the right files

sights0d
06-27-2002, 04:15 AM
Arighty... Send me your files and I'll take a look...

sights0d@yahoo.com

I can accept up to 5mb per mail (I think).

legameboy
06-27-2002, 04:57 AM
is their another tutorial besides ravens cause i want to know how to skin but i dont understand the one:(

sights0d
06-27-2002, 12:37 PM
I actually didn't learn to skin through a tutorial. I've found that aside from mapping tuts, tuts are kind of... confusing. I learned by attempting the .pk3 and the .skin several times myself screwing it up each time, then sending it to someone to look at it. He explained my screwup and sent it back to me fixed. By looking at the .skin, I figured out how to get it done right.

bleek
06-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Thx...I sent my skin :) . I think that guy was talking about how the paths were wrong. All my paths are just to /jediX. Oh well mabey you can figure it out for me.
I didn't understand that tutorial either :confused: .

legameboy
06-28-2002, 01:58 AM
does anyone know where i can get a easy-to-understand turtorial?:confused:

sights0d
06-28-2002, 04:46 PM
I'll look around... but there should be a tut on polycount.com... I think... even though I imagine that its slightly different.

bleek
06-28-2002, 10:41 PM
You get the skin?

sights0d
06-29-2002, 02:10 AM
Yep. Fixed it and sent it back yesterday. Did you get it back?

bleek
06-29-2002, 05:22 AM
Yeah I got and it tried it out =/. When I choose the skin it just looks like kyle though:confused: . Oh well thx anyway....might just give up on learning how to skin :( .

bleek
06-29-2002, 05:27 AM
wait a sec....
I put the skin in my base folder....but it didnt seem to replace the old messed up one and the new one just...seem to disappear :eek: . Can you send me it again and I'll make sure it goes to the folder.
Also can you explain to me how you fixed it??? It's alright if you dun wanna.:evanpiel:

bleek
06-30-2002, 01:55 AM
Hey...I went to this one server and the skin...partially worked. There were 2 icons of it. One icon just made him look like kyle and the other icon worked somewhat. The team colors of my guy didn't work but the original color did.
Sniffle.....I wanna learn how to do it cuz I wanna make a skin besides this one...that is actually good.