PDA

View Full Version : New player and lightsaber models.

alaris
06-25-2002, 05:02 AM
I'm trying to get a feel about whether to share two models I have recently completed.

The first is a new jedi model whose outfit is heavily inspired by Solid Snake's outfit (Medal Gear Solid (1 & 2)). He is based off a Star Wars RPG character that is a 6'5", buff, blonde, pony-tailed bad arse from the outer rim. (don't like stories? skip next paragraph)

Father was a powerful jedi who left the order for love (which may happen to young Anakin in Ep 3 -wink- -wink-) and was one of the last hunted down and killed by Vader and Palpatine. Unfortunately he wasn't old enough to help young Luke out at the time, but now, 10 years after Endor, he is entering his prime, and he is on a righteous crusade against the empire.

The second model is based off his lightsaber (a slightly modified version of his father's). The hilt is red with an ergonomic black grip. The blade is meant to be white (the colors clash), so you may want to download the appropriate mod for that.

Once again, if you're interested, post a quick reply, and I will work on some screenshots.

BradFu
06-25-2002, 05:10 AM
Definitely interested in seeing screenshots! Original characters are lots of fun :D

Delmar
06-25-2002, 05:24 AM
sounds cool, man. hit us with the screenshots.

alaris
06-25-2002, 03:15 PM
Alright, here's the screenshots for the two models. The player model is my very first model, so please go easy on the criticisms. Tips are fine, but please save the "what the hell is that?"s.

If you want either or both models, please email me at ryanhutchings@excite.com, and I will send them your way. Make sure to specify which one you want (or both). Enjoy!

Player model Alaris

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/images/alaris.jpg

Red hilt lightsaber

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/images/alarisaber.jpg

Grafox
06-25-2002, 03:37 PM
Aaaah, very nice man! You may need to work on your skin a bit, it's a bit blurry at some places.

But it ROCKS! I LOVE the background story!!

Delmar
06-25-2002, 06:32 PM
i agree with grafox, the player model is *perfect* from what i can tell in the screenshots. but the skin isn't as crisp as it could be. still, i'd love to see it in game so i can give a more useful opinion... check your e-mail.

Lord -=[FBF]=-
06-25-2002, 09:03 PM
definately release it! that just rox!

BobaFett7
06-25-2002, 09:25 PM
For your very first player model I would say that you have done very well. I hope that I can do as well with my first! Great job!

striderx2048
06-25-2002, 09:54 PM
is this all completed?
skins. weighting, bug fixes?

alaris
06-25-2002, 11:09 PM
yes, the model is weighted, and though the skin is not as crisp as it could be, I plan on moving on to making a new model. For those of you who sent me emails requesting the model, I will be unable to send the model until about 6pm AZ time (I'm at work and forgot to bring the pk3s.) But I will reply to all the requests as soon as I get home.

But that's ok cause everyone's at work too right?;)

Delmar
06-26-2002, 01:37 AM
have you thought about the possibility of having someone skin it for you? i'm *sure* if you posted in the skinning forum someone would be willing to give it a shot.

alaris
06-26-2002, 01:41 AM
alright, I said go easy on the criticism. have you thought about the possibility of having someone skin it for you?

The skin is beginner but it's not that bad is it?:(

I assume you are referring to the player model.

Chiss Lord
06-26-2002, 01:46 AM
I thought the skin was fine. Don't forget that when you put it in game its going to shrink a lot, so very minor details or slight blurriness won't even be noticable.

Great job, by the way. That saber is nice

Delmar
06-26-2002, 02:46 AM
I didn't mean to come across over-critical at all. I think the skin is just fine and the model itself is sweet (I like the pony tail best). I was just thinking that since you yourself said "the skin is not as crisp as it could be" that you might let someone else tinker with it since you're moving on to your next project.

Besides- the model is unique enough where i'm sure there will be plenty of skins made for it anyway. :)

alaris
06-26-2002, 03:03 AM
not your fault---I'm just a bit overly sensitive when sharing my artwork----issues that go WAY back to the first grade he he.

Yeah, it could use some more touchup. In fact, I was going to make the red / blue versions of the skins---I can whip that out before I send them off tonight.

Thanks for clarifying btw delmar---are you from Del Mar CA or somethin?

Don't forget that when you put it in game its going to shrink a lot, so very minor details or slight blurriness won't even be noticable.

Chiss Lord was right---this model looks WAY better in the game. Though I probably have some emotional attachment to it since it is based off my Star Wars RPG character---Alaris.
(Speaking of Chiss Lord---Alaris' arch enemy happens to be a Dark Chiss Lord of the Sith named Balis.)

If anyone wants to make custom skins---just pop off an email -- ryanhutchings@excite.com

Delmar
06-26-2002, 03:12 AM
Never been to CA- Louisiana's about as far west as I've been... Delmar's my name! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing this fella in-game. And yes, include the team-based skins- it's always nice to round out the model that way.

Eets
06-26-2002, 03:37 AM
I'd like to do a custom skin for the saber, but have no idea how I'd go about it.

The saber hilt is AMAZING! I want it in shiny metal tho :D But the grip can stay black.

Lord -=[FBF]=-
06-26-2002, 04:07 AM
dont bother emailing it 2 people, just submit it 2 the JKII.net files section. much better idea, and itll download faster for people cos JKII.net has a nice fast server not a nasty email server to download from.

nomad
06-26-2002, 04:09 AM
You guys are being too casual...
First Model?!?
If that's your FIRST... that is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
Really nice work.
You certainly down-played the quality in your first post. LOL! I didn't think it was going to look very good at all, but even if I hadn't felt that way, I still would have been impressed by the work you've done.
The sabre model is excellent too. Really cool design.
Suffice it to say, your models meet my approval. (I'll send you a cerificate) :rolleyes:
I look forward to your future contributions.

It's great that you've made a character that you've played. That must be really cool for you to use.

-nomad

P.S. I'm an artist as well. If you can recognize that "First Grade" stuff, then that's the first step towards overcoming it.

MTFBWY

Steg
06-26-2002, 04:09 AM
very very nice
looks v gd 2 me
realease on jkii.net or some other jkii fan site......please!!!
rox! just rox!
Steg

alaris
06-26-2002, 04:37 AM
thanks for the compliments---means the world to me. Does anyone know how to go about submitting files to jkii.net? Also, I forgot to mention a problem with the saber hilt. It works perfeclty except in first person mode---it's using kyle's saber skin for some reason in first person.

I will email the files tonight anyways to those who want it, but I will also look into posting it on jediknightii.net.

Eets'chula---go ahead and make a custom skin for it. Send me an email--ryanphutchings@excite.com and I will send you all the files. One stipulation though---you have to share it when you're done ;)

Eets
06-26-2002, 04:52 AM
I got an error when I tried to e-mail you, wanna just send it to me?

Eets@GalacticBattles.com

alaris
06-26-2002, 05:52 AM
I'll send it tonight. Anyone know about the first person saber using Kyle's skin?

Jedais
06-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Hey I loved the model and the saber hilt. for it to be your first one is one of the best Iave seen (my opinion) I really would like to have that saber and model, can you plz email it to me at

maniak2kjj@hotmail.com

:jawa

alaris
06-26-2002, 12:11 PM
I figured out the problem with the hilt in First Person. I just need to copy my skin and rename it "saber.jpg" --- the same name as Kyle's saber skin.

Here are two 2D images of what the model is based on.

http://mail4.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/artwork/alaris.jpg
http://mail4.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/artwork/coloralaris2.jpg

I am working on some in-game screenshots, but the freaking shots are 256X256, and it only saves one per level. How gay is that!!??

FeurGrissa
06-26-2002, 12:37 PM
well, i got some tips for the screenshots...

if u type levelshot in the hud, i think it will take a pic of your model and stuff without the GUI, i think it also saves it to a file so u can do mroe than one. if not, then jsut set ur resolution really high and press teh print screen button, alt tab out, paste it in you favorite img editor and save it, problem with this is when you go back to jk2 u gotta play with brightness for a second to get it to come back to teh right level.

FeurGrissa
06-26-2002, 12:39 PM
also if u are gonna paly with the skin, i would change the thighs to look more like the pic u posted.

http://mail4.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/artwork/coloralaris2.jpg

as it is not, it kinda looks like he is wareing a pair of shorts over some black tights hehe,

but all in all its an awesome model, and the skin is really nice too.

Delmar
06-26-2002, 06:19 PM
i just booted him up in-game and he looks great. one thing i noticed though: he is suffering from the same "saber tied to the wrong bone" syndrome that the Mandalorian models have a problem with. It makes him hold the sabe cock-eyed. Take a peek through this forum and you'll find an explanation on how to fix this.

annoyedbyu
06-26-2002, 10:27 PM
wow, very good. i'de like the saber hilt plz since it's awesome. iownyourass@hotmail.co.il if you will i'de love to use that hilt.

KBell
06-26-2002, 10:37 PM
i have been waiting for a good saber hilt and that really looks fantastic. if you could could you send the hilt to this E-mail address thanks man

Chuck1030_60120@Yahoo.com

alaris
06-26-2002, 11:39 PM
thanks for the tip delmar---not sure what you are talking about. The model seems to hold and wield the saber just like Kyle on my machine. I will look for that thread though.

Delmar
06-27-2002, 12:16 AM
here you go, i found it about 5 pages deep:

Originally posted by PsykoSith
the bolt_r_hand is weighted to the rhang_tag_bone (with full abs.)

And nothing should be weighted to the l_hand_tag_bone (you add it to the hand's bones but no vertex assigned)

I weighted the bolt_l_hand to the mc5 bone (full abs.)

hope that helps!

Nanodagiardino
06-27-2002, 12:44 AM
The lighting is pretty good but needs some work, it looks like neither plastic nor metal. And you have to give some depth to the textures. But I admit that I have the same problem with textures, I am still wrestling with photoshop to do the textures I want using the tools. Texturing is all an undo-redo mess! Then when I get satisfied with the finish, I often don't remember how I did it! I'm still looking for a nice tutorial on how to use the tools to have nice material finishes. I am almost there, it's just too caotic!!! Anyone can point me to one? Know anything?

Wait? I got lost, hehehem... yes very nice model! Very cool charachter, nice story and The saber is a killa! ;)

alaris
06-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Thanks again delmar. (pronounced delmur? or like Del Mar?) I just found this quote:

my model (kronar) had the same problem as the mandalorians and i was clued in by Delmar that it is because the saber is weighted to the wrong bone.

not only does weighting it to the wrong bone make the light backstab not work but also 'crooks' swings (most notably in heavy stance)

the correct bone (or at least what worked for mine) was some thing like r_hang_tag_bone to wich you weight the bolt_r_hand.

I will work on this tonight.

This is why I wanted to release the model via email first to see if there were any problems I was missing. Also, I wanted to get a feel for what people thought to see if I should bother uploading to jkiifiles

Thanx everyone for the tips. This first player model was a great learning experience. Now I know to keep skinning in mind as I model the various parts and sub-parts of the body. I am debating on making one of two models: an ep 2 obi-wan, or another original model based off Mace Windu's grandson (dreadlocks and all he he). I'll probably do the latter to get more experience in before I try resembling the mighty Obi1.

Delmar
06-27-2002, 01:08 AM
when you fix the stance, will you re-send to all of us again?

alaris
06-27-2002, 01:41 AM
you can count on it!

KBell
06-27-2002, 02:28 AM
that looks like a sweet Hilt. Im kinda feeling left out :( Could you please send the hilt to my E-Mail

Does the lightsaber fit in both the hands?

alaris
06-27-2002, 03:43 AM
I'll send that hilt tonight. I will also look into posting the hilt on jkiifiles.

KBell
06-27-2002, 04:02 AM
thankyou i really appreciate the hilt when you send it. your really helping me out

Eets
06-27-2002, 04:17 AM
How's it looking, folks?

http://tjc.netfirms.com/skinpreview.jpg

alaris
06-27-2002, 04:47 AM
I'm not sure if the lightsaber was Dark-Lord-of-the-Sithy to begin with, but it's definately looking like a wicked instrument that would go well with a red blade. Looks good. Here's an idea for you---I purposely made the red parts dull to represent a texturized grip. I think you should maybe make those parts more metallic (take a look at kyle's saber skin for ideas).

Eets
06-27-2002, 05:03 AM
Good idea!

Think you can make a seperate spot on the skin images for the bottom of the hilt? because it currently uses the same as the bevel on the top of the hilt, and looks strange with a black bottom.

The Rel)ee(V)eR
06-27-2002, 05:26 AM
very nice Alaris...Check your mail :-)

alaris
06-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Eets---I forgot I did that---I'll see what I can do for you. I might not be able to get to it tonight though since I will be babysitting my nephew.

alaris
06-28-2002, 12:05 AM
I worked vigorously last night (with my screaming nephew in the background :lips: ) to put some refining touches on the hilt. Thanks to Eets for some good ideas. Here's what changed:

New "wheel" button on the back of the hilt---adds balance to the other two---that controls the length. "I see your schwartz is as big as mine".

Also, I reskinned the red areas of the model to resemble metal and to give Eets more leeway in his skin.

Have a look at this screenshot:

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/images/saberalaris1.1.jpg

I sent out this model last night only to those who requested the hilt. I will fix the aforementioned issue with the player model and resend both to everyone else as soon as I can. Thanks again everyone for your input.

KBell
06-28-2002, 12:25 AM
Thanks soooo much for the cool hilt. It fits perfectly with my SP Maul instead of the plaine double sided one. one question, will the Model be for SP, MP or both(the character model) if its for single player i would love to have it. heres my E-mail again

alaris
06-28-2002, 12:53 AM
I am by no means an expert. But when I put the pk3 in my base folder, the hilt shows up in both MP and SP

Eets
06-28-2002, 01:52 AM
You know, alaris... I finally put a scrolly wheel on the saber, kinda like yours, but a little different. All that was left to do was UVW Map it. (Which I incidentally have no idea how to do) Then suddenly... Gmax crashed. :(

It's all good though. I like your size modifier too :D

KBell
06-28-2002, 01:54 AM
I mean does your character model work in SP MP or both
:)

alaris
06-28-2002, 02:51 AM
it's all in the readme.....if you want mp, just put alaris.pk3 in your base folder. If you want SP, you have to put both alaris.pk3 and kyle2alaris.pk3 in the base folder.

In order for a model to work in SP, there has to be the original model pakked up, and the same exact model pakked up again with the naming conventions of the character that it's replacing (in this case kyle).

KBell
06-28-2002, 03:14 AM
so if i install your character model, it will replace Kyle (which is good) or do i have to make a conversion (which is bad because i suck at that) sorry for the trouble im sorta a noob at modeling

alaris
06-28-2002, 04:57 AM
did I already send you both models? The instructions are in the readme text and above. That's all you have to do. Place the two files mentioned about in your jedi outcast\game data\base folder, and load up the game in either SP or MP. That's it! I promise. Trust me.

alaris
06-28-2002, 11:23 PM
I reassigned bolt_r_hand to the rhang_tag_bone and the lightsaber now swings properly. I released the updated alaris model version along with the updated lightsaber model last night.

I also included the whitesaber mod (Zahriel Omega) that changes the default blue blade to white. The red hilt was originally designed for a white blade.

Let's hear some feedback on the latest hilt model --- I posted the latest screenshot above on this page.

Delmar
06-29-2002, 12:14 AM
the message you sent me last night never had an attachment. :(

remark 666
06-29-2002, 12:30 AM
everything looks good, send it to jediknightii.com

Pyro638
06-29-2002, 03:15 AM
Ohhh

Maaaa

Goood

THAT IS MY DREAM HILT! :D LOOOKS AWESOME! TRULY AMAZING! a little more silver and it would be PeRfEcT!!!!!

I MUST HAVE IT:ball:!

Pyro638
06-29-2002, 01:36 PM
Ohhh

Maaaa

Goood

THAT IS MY DREAM HILT! :D LOOOKS AWESOME! TRULY AMAZING! a little more silver and it would be PeRfEcT!!!!! (The red one is ok though;))

I MUST HAVE IT:ball:!

Pyro638
06-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Sorry bout the double post:p

-[MotU]-Lyger|=-
06-29-2002, 01:48 PM
Nice very nice, inavative saber hilt. i like it alot. GOOD JOB. now i just need help on my hilt...

Kazuma
06-29-2002, 03:28 PM
I really like the looks man, keep up the good work!

Padawan_Felix
06-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by alaris
Alright, here's the screenshots for the two models. The player model is my very first model, so please go easy on the criticisms. Tips are fine, but please save the "what the hell is that?"s.

If you want either or both models, please email me at ryanhutchings@excite.com, and I will send them your way. Make sure to specify which one you want (or both). Enjoy!

Player model Alaris

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/images/alaris.jpg

Red hilt lightsaber

http://users.cableaz.com/~ryan_hutchings/images/alarisaber.jpg

In time I would like this model !

cooling_feffe_90@hotmail.com

The dark side I sense in you

wolfgangpuk
06-30-2002, 05:29 AM
hey could u send me the models, my e-mail is wolfgangpuk@hotmail.com

fuzzrox
06-30-2002, 05:27 PM
alaris

love the hilt , good job!

I must have it. please release it so we all can

start using it.

:slsaber:

Arán
06-30-2002, 10:42 PM
Alaris!, Nice model and nice saber hope they come out soon.
I would really want to have the model and his saber could you send it to me at axelmulder@yahoo.com or send it to a jediknightii site like for an example www.jediknightii.net
Good luck with your model!
:lsduel:

El_graco
06-30-2002, 11:25 PM
VERY NICE

If it isn't too much trouble could you send me the models too if you don't mind or you could post it on a site so you wont have to keep sending out e-mails.

once again cool models

el_graco@hotmail.com

Rory_Vetack
07-01-2002, 06:46 AM
Any updates on when you'll be releasing this to JediKnightii.net or jk2files.net?

Jedais
07-01-2002, 07:03 AM
plz someone send the sabers to me to plz!!!!!!! my email is maniak2kjj@hotmail.com

alaris
07-01-2002, 11:25 PM
I am SO sore---! I have been moving to my new apartment all weekend long. Anyways, to all those who requested the models, I sent them an FTP url this morning. If you did not get the email with the url, let me know--- ryanhutchings@excite.com

Zain Sundancer
07-02-2002, 06:32 AM
send it over here plz:
darkhawk@truthmail.com

El_graco
07-03-2002, 01:48 AM
cheers for sending me the models they are brilliant...

*sheds tear*

fuzzrox
07-03-2002, 10:54 AM
thanks alaris , (for the link)

i'm using both models now,

good stuff.

:D

I love the hilt.:saberr:

Kent H
07-03-2002, 03:29 PM
I'd love the saber hilt :D ! It looks great!

parasite1444@yahoo.com

Eets
07-05-2002, 12:12 AM
Here's a progress report on my skinned version :)

As soon as Alaris sends me the latest version, the bevel on top will be a different color.

My Graphics Card = Crap. :D

gUrSuMnCt
07-05-2002, 02:38 AM
dude thats the coolest saber hilt ive ever seen...and one of the coolest original characters ive seen...if you can dude, send both to my email gUrSuMnCt@yahoo.com ...i would really apreciate it man

mtrixman
07-05-2002, 10:10 AM
can someone post the url? i really want that saber hehe

Klorel
07-05-2002, 11:29 AM
I love that saber, if i were a jedi, i'd design something like that. great work.

Faye Ying
07-05-2002, 02:37 PM
if you don't mind sending that fine work you did on that saber to me....

my email is
faye_ying@hotmail.com

KBell
07-06-2002, 12:32 AM
wow i dont think anyone is taking notice of the fine skinning on Alaris's hilt dont by Eets'chula! Great job on the sithey look!

mtrixman
07-06-2002, 12:41 AM
could someone please send me the hilt file? my email is mtrixman@hotmail.com. thanks

Eets
07-08-2002, 09:38 AM
Well, I've pretty much stopped work on the Alaris saber, but alaris modelled me a variation of it, based off of a concept of mine, for my Jawa Jedi RPG character. :D

Screenshots are forthcoming, and I'm looking for someone who is good at HUD making.

P.S. Alaris is a GOD! ;)

SithBrakiss
07-08-2002, 11:08 AM
MAn....this is one nice model,i like the Skin too,anyways,send it my way if you get a chance.

Voltron2077@yahoo.com

JediGhost[SITH]
07-08-2002, 11:09 AM
That hilt is sweet... Is anyone planning on uploading it to www.jediknightii.net ?

alaris
07-10-2002, 01:11 PM
I apologize to the last few who did not receive this humble hilt. You may now get it on jediknightii.net at this link

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=464

ENJOY!

adillon
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
alaris, the hilt is breathtaking. great work!

what's the status, if any, of the alaris character model? i've been so psyched about it since i saw the first screenies, but it seems that the thread has become more focused on the hilt, not that anything is wrong with that. i'm not posting one of those "e-mail it to me NOW" or "gimme gimme gimme" replies, i'm just curious about the stage it's at, that's all folks.