PDA

View Full Version : Is it a cmd pt waste to board troops from the docking bay ?

Francois PERROUX
04-20-2000, 07:11 AM
In fact, I just noticed yesterday that boarding additional troops from the docking bay (not sure of the true name... I've got a french version here), costs twice the usual command points.
I mean, if you call for example for AT-STs reinforcements from your base during the mission, they cost you 225 each; but if you retrieve "old" AT-STs from a previous mission to board them just before starting the new one to perform, they cost you 450 !

OK, I understand you can use experienced troops (1 or 2 or 3 red bars), but I doubt a 1 bar AT-ST is twice as powerful as a fresh one !
Conversely, keeping the troops in the kind of vault from the docking bay costs you the standard number of cmd pts.

I found this pretty much strange, in the sense that in some mission, better save cmd pt by NOT using experienced troops, to call for inexperienced, but twice numerous forces during some intense assaults...

Krownis
04-20-2000, 12:48 PM
I have to agree with you. I never looked into it too hard, but after I leave the hangar, I do lose points or something. I'll be left with 500 or so and when I land, I'll have 0. I don't know what it is. My last few missions, when I loaded up in the hangar I just took essentails like one or two AT-STs and/or one or two AT-AAs. Other than that I requested the rest once I was planet-side.

As for the holding area in the hangar, I never have put things in there. I always felt it was a waste of command points. There's nothing I have needed to save that they wouldn't offer me in the next mission - if there was, it obviously wasn't that important to me because I don't remember missing anything valuable. The only thing I'd like to have saved would have been the TIEs. I couldn't get them for the last Imperial mission because you use the TR-MB and not a regular base. TIEs may have helped me keep the rebels at bay while I charged the rogue AT-AT.

Sorry for the short novel - but that's my point of view.

SuperGumby
04-20-2000, 03:11 PM
I know it helps on like one mission for sure, its just extra power when you land. i rarely put anything in the storage area. i mostly bring down the troops if its not full with like arti and atpts, so they can go into the base right away so if i do get attacked right off the bat, the base will have some interior defence.

------------------

StS_Maryjane
04-20-2000, 04:27 PM
yes, in order to bring forces down it costs you double. But if you do not use all of your Cp's to select additional landing troops they are lost (cp's i mean). you start each mission with a set number of cp's so it makes no scense to save them. I found that if i had filled all of my drop ships and still had cp's left over i would put my remaining experieneced units in storage. There is a trick here. If on a later mission you are short on cp's and you need to bring down that expensive AT then you can remove some of your stuff from storage, the old cp's you used to put them there are returned to you and now you can have more than 5000 cp's. i had storage full of ST,PT,and mobile artillery. All told they were worth something like 6000cp's so for the second abridon mission i was able to take two of my old AT-At's with experience down with me, plus a few of the PT's i had out of storage. Try this, cp's do no carry over from mission to mission so spend them as recklessly as possible to get the biggest force right off the bat.

StS_Maryjane

------------------
StS_MAryjane,

You are only half as smart as you think I am

Francois PERROUX
04-20-2000, 04:58 PM
Thank you very much MaryJane.
This helps A LOT !!!
Now, I understand the difference between an Apprentice and a Knight...

WildMustang
04-22-2000, 12:26 AM
yes they double the command points when i land i find out im out of command points the next mision i will take only a minimal crew and get the guys out of the holding area and let you know how it goes. i hate starting and not having any command points.

------------------
May The Force Be With You

WildMustang
04-22-2000, 12:26 AM
yes they double the command points when i land i find out im out of command points the next mision i will take only a minimal crew and get the guys out of the holding area and let you know how it goes. i hate starting and not having any command points.

------------------
May The Force Be With You