PDA

View Full Version : The RichDiesel University Tutorial Questions Thread.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

WhiteShdw
03-15-2002, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
how do you know brush cleanup has done it's job and which brush it was?

Well you can see that in the console window(is that what it's called, i'm not sure). That should show how many duplicate brushes have been deleted, if any. If there haven't been any, then it just says 0 duplicate brushes deleted.

I don't think you can tell which brush was deleted. I think it just deletes brushes you can't see anyway, or duplicate brushes that overlap eachother. Anyway you won't see any difference in your map, it will just compile better. I'm no expert at this plugin, i just used it a couple of times and it helped me when i had a compile error.

I'm pretty sure it won't destroy your map or anything.

:D

Derisor
06-28-2002, 02:28 AM
I thought all of us using these wonderful tutorials could ask our questions here to be answered by him or one of the other sith lords around here that really know what they are doing.

For those of you that dont know abotu the tutorials, they are an awesome introduction to mapping and I think even some of the pros might be able to learn a thing or two. You can find them at the following link.

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/

Read them. Bookmark them. and then, after that, come and ask questions here

Note: I dont agree with RichDiesel about choice of tools. Get the second tools package from where he says but I encourage you to use the GTKRadiant version specially designed for JKII Outcast. JK2Radiant gave me fits and this one has been great.
GTKRadiant for JKII Outcast (http://www.qeradiant.com/?data=files&files_id=37)
GTKRadiant for JKII Outcast Getting started Guide (http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/GtkRadiant_JK2_HOWTO/)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section below is from original post and never edited.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My questions.

A) Why are my curves showing up in game as a series of planar polygons instaead of smooth arcs?

B) Given that I create a curved tube or pipe, How can I fill it with water? For horizontal as well as vertical pipes.

C) When creating curves. I draw the brush in XY view and then appy the curve function. Why does it always seem to try to create a curve rotated from what I intended? For example if I create a box for a hallway 500 units long and 80 units wide, and 60 units high, the blasted thing keeps trying to create my inverted endcap oriented to the 500 dimension and not the 80x60 dimesion.

D) How can I create a spotlight where th light is opaque from the side and shines out in a direction?

E) How can I put a light source INSIDE a brush to make it appear to be shining out from that spot?

F) When are you going to finish the other tutorials we are salivating for? :)

G) How can I create a brush that has a trigger that is electrified when hit by a gun but only just for a few seconds then returns to non electified?

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 02:42 AM
A) Because that's how the engine renders Curves. :) At a distance, they appear less smooth but when you get close, the appear more smooth. This is to cut down on the total number of polygons rendered at any one time. They should appear fairly smooth when you're right up next to them, though. There is no such thing as a true curved surface in Q3A though, so don't expect it to be perfect. :)

B) Depends. You can technically just lay down a large square water brush around the pipe (the water will conform to its shape), but if you want to be able to see your pipe from the outside, that won't work. In that case, design your level differently. :p

C) Radiant defaults to one specific angle when creating curves. I would suggest that you start EVERY curve off as a perfect cube shaped brush. Make it into a curve, rotate/size it how you want it, make the endcaps you want, and THEN drag the vertices to shape it how you want it. Just easier that way.

D) That is an effect called a beam shader which was not included in JK2. You [I]can[/] make one, but that will require either knowing how to write shaders or stealing one from RTCW or Q3A. :p

E) Just...put the light inside it? :D Not sure what you're asking.

F) It will be a while. I have gone back to mapping projects for the time being (learning cinematics) so that I can write those as well when I get back to writing them in general. Just wait. :p

G) func_multiple targetted at a func_timer targetted at a trigger_hurt :p

Derisor
06-28-2002, 02:42 AM
H) Why in your tutorial do you create a door using 2 brushes instead of one?

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 02:43 AM
H) Because the left half opens left and the right half opens right. :p

Derisor
06-28-2002, 02:47 AM
GAh! Good answer. Thinkign too much about technical stuff and missing the obvious. What about A through G ? :) :jawa

Derisor
06-28-2002, 02:59 AM
Hmmm weird forum bug .. didnt see your first reply.

Ok folks .. the letter is at G. :)

Should prolly make it sticky too.

JustAnotherJedi
06-28-2002, 03:37 AM
1. How the hell do i make a bloody tree?
2. How the hell do i make a bloody sky?
3. How do i found out exactly how big something is? Convert it to JK2 feet? Or are all those lines in Radiant supposed to mean something ?

:p

4. Back to step 1 ... the box.

Those are just some questions ....

BRING ON THE EWOKS!!!!! :ewok: :ewok: :ewok: :ewok:
SERIOUSLY!
SOMEONE MAKE A BETTER EWOK MAP!!!!
IM GOING INSANE!!!!

:ewok: :ewok: :ewok:

-JustAnotherJedi-

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 03:50 AM
Trees are models. :) Find the model and reference it from your assets0.pk3 by using:
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn5.html

Skies, you just apply to the faces you want to appear as skies:
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn6.html

You can determine how big soemthing is in reference to your info_player_start. Put down an info_player_start - that's about the size of Kyle.

Derisor
06-28-2002, 04:26 AM
Lighting:

Is there a way I can add ambient light to a texture, then put a light inside of that so that the room is lighted from light comming from the inside of that brush and further, that the brush actually looks alight.

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 05:20 AM
Eh... kinda. I would suggest making light-emitting shaders that look like they have light sources inside them. That gives the most realistic effect.

You can see an example of light-emitting shaders with... oh, every light in duel_kamino. :D

Derisor
06-28-2002, 05:33 AM
Im working on the dome tutorial and had a question. Why do you put caulk brushes above the dome itself ?

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 05:49 AM
Because if you didn't, the engine would draw that surface behind the curve (even though you wouldn't be able to see it). Remember (and I'm sure you read the compiling tutorial), the VIS process completely ignores curves - thus anything behind a curve is drawn. If you texture a surface behind the dome, that's just more triangles (and thus lower framerate).

Grets Sirob
06-28-2002, 06:20 AM
Rich, I'm understanding your tutorial quite well(haven't used anything yet, but what the heck...)

However, why are you doing things the hard way?

Allow me to elaborate, in your domed ceiling tutorial, you say to make the bevel, drag the vertices, etc.
Why?
Why do I have to do all that work, when I can simply make a cone?
Same with the spike thing.

:trooper: Hey, you there!

Darkpetzi
06-28-2002, 06:58 AM
I guess the answer to your question is : to have nicer curves and much more beautiful lightnings. Am I right, Rich ?

Grets Sirob
06-28-2002, 07:07 AM
I would think that having multiple bevels would increase chances of sparklies...

Whereas, a cone would do no such thing, it is a single object, not four.

:trooper: Hey, you there!

Derisor
06-28-2002, 11:07 AM
Many times you mention creating light emiting shaders. How does one go about doing such a thing?

Ah Boon
06-28-2002, 11:26 AM
RD, in ur making brush detail tut, wut do u mean by 'touching the void'?

Derisor
06-28-2002, 01:11 PM
I can answer that.

What he means is that the area outside your map is called the void. The endless void of space. So detail brushes can only be inside other brushes that are touching the void and not detail brushes. This is because the renderer skipps them.

RichDiesal
06-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Darkpetzi
I guess the answer to your question is : to have nicer curves and much more beautiful lightnings. Am I right, Rich ?

Mostly, yup. And also because the Curves tutorials are primarily to get you to learn how to use curves by making things with examples. :) Many people hide from curves, but once they make a few things with them (ala the tuts) then they are more likely to implement some in their own maps.

Many times you mention creating light emiting shaders. How does one go about doing such a thing?

That is a bit complicated (and there will be a tut on it later) but I'll go over a shortened version.

First, you need to make your own shaderfile for whatever map you're working on. We'll say ffa_map for now.

So, make ffa_map.shader (a text file) and put it in your shaders/ directory. Then edit the shaderlist.txt file and add the name of your shader (ffa_map). Also add a subdirectory to textures/ of the same name (textures/ffa_map/).

Next, if you want to make one of the stock shaders light-emitting, open the appropriate stock shader file, copy the script of the shader you want, and paste it into YOUR shaderfile.

The first line of the shader is the name of your shader, so change it to something like textures/ffa_map/mynewshader

Now, after the first bracket (before anything else) add the line:
q3map_surfacelight 1000
(you can change the value for different light levels)

Save the file, restart Radiant, load up the ffa_map texturelist, and you should see your new light-emitting shader there. :)

There is a bit more to it (and it does get a bit more complicated) but that will be in the tut. :p My advice for now would be just to play around with it and see what happens. :)

The_Preacher
06-28-2002, 11:03 PM
This concerns my problem of having a warning as follows.

WARNING: Fog brush 97 has multiple visable sides

well i followed richs tut as best i could. however i think i might have done somthing arry without realisng. when going through the caul tut. (basically it says caulk everything lol)

ill go through my process for making my water to narrow it down (thx for thelp in advance guys you rock)

I make my water.
Texture the top, and bottom with a water texture.
i put a nodraw brush in between the top of the water, and the bottom of the water, (in the middle)

i then went around the Outside, of the water, the 4 right left front and back sides (not top and bottom) and added a caulk texture to it.

i think. possibly, i have added caulk to the outsides, instead of a nodraw. perhaps have got confused :/ i dunno.

also one more probem wich has arisen. (for the love of god why )

when you try to duck in water, the model doesnt know wether to stand or to duck, so he judders, between ducking and standing.

if you move whilst ducking, and let go f the keys, they continue walking in the last direction pressed.

the only thing i could think of was perhaps i had made my water a depth that was inbetween, walking depth and swimming depth.

hence when standing its seems like standing depth. and when ducking, you go almost fully submerged but not. thats why it judders. but i dont know, thats my guess.

oh and once again. cheers rich on the tutorials. its like my bible. if i ever get stuck, or fancy trying something perhaps a little out of my depth. i just load up the page, and sit and read for a bit, following step by step.

The only problem i have ever had from the beginning has been this damned water. and according to your tutorial, its supposed to be the easiest damned thing to do lol.

anyway i have said enough
Preach out

Anakin
06-29-2002, 04:22 AM
Soooo how do I get FX fetures to show in GTKRadient oh great one???

RichDiesal
06-29-2002, 05:17 AM
You don't. :) fx_runners are used as described in http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn2.html

You never get to actually see anything in Radiant except for the fx_runner. Only way to figure out which EFX you want is to experiment and look at a few. :)

As for the fog brush error, that's actually a common problem with liquids. You see, water creates a fog when you move inside it. That's why it your view tints and you can only see a short distance in front of you (Fog doesn't actually refer to fog shaders). When you have a hole in the side of one of these brushes, it gets confused.

If you caulked the sides (as you should have), there must be absolutely no places where that caulk is exposed to the world. None whatsoever. If there is an exposed side to your water, the engine gets confused as to where to actually DRAW the fog, and thus can't compile with it (so it disables the fog and continues - that's why it's a warning and not an error). You need to make sure that your water (the caulk sides) is not exposed to the playable part of your level anywhere.

And if you're having that problem with the water... why don't you change the height of the water? :D I've never actually seen that, what height of water brush are you using (for my and everyone else's future reference)?

Jagepage
06-29-2002, 05:31 AM
220: Lesson 1,

I tried your switchable dynamic lights tutorial, but there's one weird thing in it.

I have a simple multiple trigger that does nothing when you press it. So I can press it and all the lights I made for my lamp (7) are linked to one info_null. But nothing tells my lamps to switch on/off and i didn't see it in your tutorial. :p

And btw, I think lamp style is optional, so i left it this time and didn't touch them. But still I think there must be something..

The_Preacher
06-29-2002, 05:33 AM
yes rich its correc. as soon as i finished wriing that, what i did was lower the level of the water, and i have had no problems, with the juddery animations. i guess i had managed to find a height in between swimming and standing.

the height was. using a grid of 4.

it was 10 units high.or around about there.

since trying to fix the water. i have also some how managed to get sparklies.

god knows where those sparklies have come from, as i have virtually everything you cant see caulked.

btw. is there a jedi mapping irc channel, where we could hang out and talk to each other in real time?? "Each other" being all the mappers.

would be cool. imo

RichDiesal
06-29-2002, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by The_Preacher
god knows where those sparklies have come from, as i have virtually everything you cant see caulked.
Well there's your problem. EVERYTHING you can't see should be caulked. :p

btw. is there a jedi mapping irc channel, where we could hang out and talk to each other in real time??
JediOutcastMaps.com runs one on... some... IRC server... I don't even know. :D I'm sure it's linked on their site somewhere.

Originally posted by Jagepage
It does too tell you. :) You should have your target_multiple targetted at your lights, which are in turn targetted at your info_nulls.

Derisor
06-29-2002, 06:55 AM
RD: a Couple more from your friendly jawa.

I made a cool pipe that the player can jump down from tzhe starting point. It is a cylinder and not capped. The pipe is 8 feet in diameter (64 units) and Kyle floats nicely over it without falling in. From the top view he is pulling a neat aeriel stunt as he is touching no ground at all. What gives ?

Also what are the miniimum sizes for sdoors that kyle can get through. What about minimum size for him to walk while ducking ?

Jemek Sunns
06-29-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi, I've been trying a few of teh tutorails and I have some questions. My problem may just be that I can't understand what your saying, and that's my fault but I'll ask anyway.

1. How exactly do you construct a water basin, I kept looking at the picture and I just couldn't figure it out.

2. For the domed ceiling, I've gotten as far as inverting the bevel, but then I'm not quite sure what to do from there.

Thanks in advance.

Derisor
06-29-2002, 08:42 AM
RichDiesel:

How much do patches affect game performance? Do I notice a degradation if I use, for example, 4 bevels instead of a single end cap?

RichDiesal
06-29-2002, 11:56 AM
I made a cool pipe that the player can jump down from tzhe starting point. It is a cylinder and not capped. The pipe is 8 feet in diameter (64 units) and Kyle floats nicely over it without falling in. From the top view he is pulling a neat aeriel stunt as he is touching no ground at all. What gives ?
I've never encountered that myself... why don't you just use four bevels? That will work (example is in my Curves 201 tutorial under Hole in the Ceiling, I think it is).

Also what are the miniimum sizes for sdoors that kyle can get through. What about minimum size for him to walk while ducking ?
Don't know, actually. I have yet to research that (though if you'd like to and get back to me, feel free. :D)

How exactly do you construct a water basin, I kept looking at the picture and I just couldn't figure it out.
It's basically just four rectangular brushes standing on end in a box shape. :)

For the domed ceiling, I've gotten as far as inverting the bevel, but then I'm not quite sure what to do from there.
Inverting it's matrix? That's where you need to enter (as I think Antilles said?) the wonderful world of vertex editing. Turn on the Vertex Tool (V Key) and draw the vertices in the 2D View. That will get you started. :)

How much do patches affect game performance? Do I notice a degradation if I use, for example, 4 bevels instead of a single end cap?
Instead of 2 end caps, you mean? There is no disadvantage to using four bevels instead of two end caps in that the same number of triangles are drawn in both cases. There IS a disadvantage (in terms of tris) to use patches where you could use brushes instead. But they look so much better. :p

VIO
06-29-2002, 12:10 PM
ok quick thing vis ignores curves so, hmm how to say this... if i but a brush thats the width and hieght iof the curve RIGHT behind it and caulk it, will ther be a difrence in well speed if that brush is father away from the back of the curve....premiss being you can't see behind the curve, or should i even make a brush behind it, i do need a brush behind it right i can't have a curve have its back to the void, right wait no i know thats right

RichDiesal
06-29-2002, 12:16 PM
You need to have caulk behind it... somewhere. Specifically where doesn't matter in terms of visual quality, but you will want to make that space appropriately sized (be it big or small) to make your compile times as fast as possible.

That is of course assuming you are using the curve in front of a structural brush. If you have curves in the middle of your room (for example, a sphere in the middle of the room), you don't need brushes at all. :)

Ah Boon
06-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Derisor
I can answer that.

What he means is that the area outside your map is called the void. The endless void of space. So detail brushes can only be inside other brushes that are touching the void and not detail brushes. This is because the renderer skipps them.

why would i wanna make anything outside the map? can u give me a lil bit more example?

Master Xavier
06-30-2002, 12:06 AM
Firstly....Rich, great tutorial! Its so easy to understand! Oh and I love your Kimino Map :D

and for some reason I can't find the option to change MP and SP entities off (switch between SP and MP map making), ALL i find in procject settings is the path'ways and a list of goop, I can't find SP entities anywhere? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Derisor
06-30-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Ah Boon

why would i wanna make anything outside the map? can u give me a lil bit more example?

No, you dont get it. Your maps hang in an endless void of space according to the 3d engine. You define your map sort of like building a space station in space. Detail brushes are like thin walls made of wood. Structural brushes are like big thick metal walls. Obviously in our space station we want the big thick metal walls to be touching space. Not the thin walls. This is a metaphorical desription.

To be more technically correct, when the compiler renders your map, it creates big spaces that constrain your map. Then it only worries about those spaces. If you have structural brushes then they constrain the space. Only what is inside that space matters. If you dont have structural brushes then it would have to worry about hte entire endless void.

However if you have structural brushes inside others completely (like you make a table out of 6 brushes) then you are making those big cubes used for calculating things smaller and smaller and smaller which is obviously bad for compile.

Derisor
06-30-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Master Xavier
Firstly....Rich, great tutorial! Its so easy to understand! Oh and I love your Kimino Map :D

and for some reason I can't find the option to change MP and SP entities off (switch between SP and MP map making), ALL i find in procject settings is the path'ways and a list of goop, I can't find SP entities anywhere? :eek: :confused: :eek:

YOu have to edit this in the project settings if you are using JKradient. If you are using the new package of GTK for JKII then its in the project settings.

Grets Sirob
06-30-2002, 02:50 AM
Uh-oh, he's a moderator, I'm dead!

(I had to say that...)

:sithm: You will die, painfully.

RichDiesal
06-30-2002, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Master Xavier
ALL i find in procject settings is the path'ways and a list of goop, I can't find SP entities anywhere? :eek: :confused: :eek:
But if you look in the project settings, you should see SP_Entities.def (by default) in the entitypath. Just copy the path to your JK2 dir from the other options (assuming you already set them correctly) and after GameData, add the text "\\tools\SP_entities.def" (without quotes)

Derisor
06-30-2002, 02:31 PM
By the way.

The smallest tunnel Kyle can duck through is 48 units heigh by 36 units wide.

Guardian Omega
06-30-2002, 02:55 PM
Exactly how you put chaulk on the nonvisible sides of any patch mesh? (Including cylinders, bevels, the likes......)

RichDiesal
06-30-2002, 03:18 PM
The smallest tunnel Kyle can duck through is 48 units heigh by 36 units wide.
Thanks! Useful information. :)

Exactly how you put chaulk on the nonvisible sides of any patch mesh?
You don't! Patches are technically only textured on one side, so the engine treats them as if caulk was on the backside anyway. :)

Derisor
06-30-2002, 06:06 PM
I build a door according to the info you gave in the tutorial but there is one problem. As soon as I put the area portal inside the door brush, I now get a wacky HOM effect instead of a door. What did I do wrong ?

Master Xavier
06-30-2002, 09:29 PM
(praises the mapping god that is Rich)

thanks for the help :D

(i'd send you pic's of my map but I have nowhere to upload them)

Derisor
06-30-2002, 11:25 PM
Get a free site from lycos. =)

RichDiesal
07-01-2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Derisor
I build a door according to the info you gave in the tutorial but there is one problem. As soon as I put the area portal inside the door brush, I now get a wacky HOM effect instead of a door. What did I do wrong ?

That means you didn't put the areaportal in the right place. :) The area portal should fit ENTIRELY inside the door - as in, in Radiant, you should be unable to see the areaportal itself from any side of the door. You should also only use it on doors that block off entire corridors from other areas.

You can create a HOM when you place an areaportal in a visible part of a door.

snakeeyesa27
07-01-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey Rich, I am having a compile problem.
Whenever I reach a certian level of complexity (for lack of a better word) I get the compile error NUM POINT EXCEED MAX POINTS ON WINDING. It doesn't matter what kind of compile, and I don't know what to do, since I get this problem even though this is barely the beginning of my level. Also Raven's maps are far more complex, and apparently they compiled. This has happened on various level's i've made. Also, changing brushes between detail and structural makes no difference. Have you ever had this problem?

p.s. if you'd like specifics i can send you my .map

snakeeyesa27
07-01-2002, 12:30 PM
uh.. he he... nevermind. sorry for asking before i looked at all the old posts.

if anyone else has this
http://teamhuh.com/articles.asp?articleid=22

jedihunter
07-01-2002, 10:46 PM
I have a rather simple question.

How can you tell if a brush is set as detailed or structural?
Is there a little button or icon you can check?

RichDiesal
07-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Any time you want to tell the difference, press CTRL+D and all the Detail Brushes will disappear. Anything left is (obviously) Structural. :)

Redvan
07-02-2002, 03:02 AM
How did you get so GOOD?!! :D

RichDiesal
07-02-2002, 03:23 AM
It's all just randomly acquired bits and pieces of information about Radiant and mapping. :) Just a good memory more than anything else.

Anyone can make a great map in the Q3A engine - it just takes actually taking the time to learn the ins and outs of Radiant/scripting and learning all of the commands and techniques.

Oh, and be creative and never give up! :D

Derisor
07-02-2002, 07:20 AM
Great .. now can you tell me how to attach a script to an entity at spawn time? How to trigger a script on death of an entity? Or how to create a script for any generic object that is run whe the user picks that object up?

RichDiesal
07-02-2002, 07:40 AM
Don't know scripting, sorry. :D Learning it now myself. Read the ICARUS manual - that'll get you started.

Though I do know if you want to have a script start when an NPC is spawned, you can set the key spawnscript and a value. If you want a script to run on the main PC (Kyle), you need to target the info_player_start at a target_scriptrunner.

Derisor
07-02-2002, 08:07 AM
it would be nice to have a document somewhere wiht all the keys that once can set on objects.

I have created a script that sets force powers on startup of a level and would be happy to make a tutorial for it if you accept submissions.

RichDiesal
07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
All the possible keys for entities are listed in the little gray box in the entity panel... :)

And I'll be writing that tutorial myself later - thanks though. :D

Derisor
07-02-2002, 07:35 PM
Actually ... they arent. There are some undocumented keys in the system.

RichDiesal
07-03-2002, 05:33 AM
Oh really? Such as what?

And I assume you're using the SP entity help files, because the MP entity help files are incomplete. :)

jipe
07-03-2002, 06:18 AM
How to trigger a script on death of an entity?

Target the entity at a target_scriptrunner that has the spawnscript key and the value is the path to your script.

Derisor
07-03-2002, 11:01 AM
Such as the keys that make something force activatable. I really wish they would have given us Yavin trials for example.

RichDiesal
07-03-2002, 12:56 PM
Create a func_door in SP and see what the FORCE_ACTIVATE checkbox adds for spawnflags. It is also talked about in the help box. Then use that value on your MP map.

Although I'm not entirely sure that that specific key works in MP... haven't tried it. :)

Derisor
07-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Well, except that im not looking to make a door but rather something like those sliders in the Yavin Trial level.

Derisor
07-03-2002, 09:45 PM
OK RichDiesel. This student of yours has created a map as a WIP for a SP level. It has quite a few different things in the map. Give it a look and let me know what you think. The map file is included in the PK3.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/derisor/sewers.pk3

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 12:08 AM
Well, the sliders in the Yavin Trial level were all done with scripting. :D

As for the map, not bad... definitely a good start. But I did notice a couple of things.

For one, there's a grate in the floor in between rooms with what looked like HOM behind it... You need to have something back there. :) It looks a tad odd.

In the hallways, you have a bit of texturing mismatching... As in there is a visible line between the lower texture and the upper texture.

Also, it's really annoying to have tons of doors where only some of them work and there's no good way to figure out which is which. :p You also need to master your func_usables to make the switches change (or work them via scripting).

On the upside though, your architecture is pretty well designed - good vertex editing on the curves (no seams that I saw) and most everything seems appropriately caulked... although I did just look at the BSP and didn't check out the MAP. I will assume you did it right. :D

G-ForceX4
07-04-2002, 12:28 AM
Couple Questions Rich,
1.)Where can I find a site that has an in depth tutorial on shaders?(im sure yours will have it soonly but i need it NOW:p)

2.)Is it possible to create a moving fog?

3.)Is it possible to lessen the number of particles in a fog and spread them apart? ( in case you havent figured it out, im trying to create RAIN!)

Anywho, great job with the kamino map, i was especially impressed with the accuracy of the textures and the actual design ALMOST fit exactly with the movie.

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 12:31 AM
1) No real good shader-coding tutorials that I know of except for the shader manual itself.
2) Yes... with shaders. :p
3) Do you mean actual fog or fog shaders? Actual fog (as in, the fog inside water), there aren't individual particles, so you just increase/decrease its opacity (which is in the shader script). A fog shader, yes, although I'm exactly sure how on that one. :)

And thanks! I was going for a movie feel and not a movie design (was aiming more at good dueling gameplay) so that's why it's not exact to the movie.

Derisor
07-04-2002, 12:40 AM
Yeah .. but did you notice my hallway carpet texture ? :)

Btw .. watch where you shoot in the sewers themselves. Remember the scene from episode 4 ? :)

Ill check the points you mentioned. Right now what gets me is there is a sparklies effect in the sewers where one curve meets the sewer but the merge is EXACT and Im nto sure wherei t is comming from.

As for the usables, I just enabled everything. In the third room, walk up to the blinking panel on the levt and hit your use key and you will see the switch on the sewer door change.

Did you find the secret area?

DarkSkywalker
07-04-2002, 02:00 AM
Hey Rich, nice tutorials, even my brother can do them :)

I guess Im used to Serious Sam, where you dont have to make a single brush for every single wall, istead flag a brush as "room," but anyways I have a question.

All of the pipes i see in single player seem to be models with bounding boxes made of invisible brushes. Is this true? If not do you have a tutorial on making those nice curvy pipes?

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 02:27 AM
Neh, as far as I know, they're all just square caulk pipes with bevels inside to give the appearance of a pipe. Just use my arched-ceiling in a hallway tutorial and double it to encompass the entire hallway.

And as for Derisor, you need usables! :) Usables make your map seem interactive instead of just being a big congregation of blocks that you can poke. All I noticed is that that first door up on the left from the start didn't switch when I switched it. :)

And I wasn't looking for a secret area, so no. :)

DarkSkywalker
07-04-2002, 02:31 AM
So why is it when you shoot the pipes, they dont leave any scorch marks? I thought that only happens you you have a model and a bounding box?

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 02:33 AM
It will also happen if you put an invisible shader on top of it (for example - slick). If you're referring to the bespin air vents, I think they have invisible curves inside the actual curves covered with system/slick

Not 100% sure on that though.

DarkSkywalker
07-04-2002, 02:37 AM
Also, I was having problems with the bouncers yesterday. I made a brush, copied it, put it right on top of the other, covered it with trigger, made it a trigger push, made another bush and made it a target whatever it was, then linked it with the ctrl k, the line even showed up to show that they were linked, but when i tested it no luck. Any ideas?

DarkSkywalker
07-04-2002, 02:52 AM
oh, and do you know wha tthe opengl lighting feature in GTK does exactly? I cant notice any real difference when its selected and not...

Blaster
07-04-2002, 05:19 AM
I am having problems with Gtk Radiant, what happens is I design my map and compile it...The map compiles OK and I get to check out my level. However when I return to GtkRadiant to add to my level, the parts of my level that I have just worked on disappears.
Please help since I have no idea whats going on and I can't make levels if I can't solve this problem.

The GtkRadiant is version 1.2.9 and my systems specs are: -
900Mhz Celeron processor
512MB SDRAM
60GB hard drive
64MB Geforce2 Ti (with the latest Detonator drivers)
Jedi Outcast also has the latest patch.

DarkSkywalker
07-04-2002, 06:00 AM
try making a backup of you .map file before you compile, until you find out whats going on.

daywalkerx
07-04-2002, 06:51 AM
how do i make a certain that when someone crosses it they die. ( like when they fall off the side of the building into the pit of darkness)

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 07:14 AM
I made a brush, copied it, put it right on top of the other, covered it with trigger, made it a trigger push, made another bush and made it a target whatever it was, then linked it with the ctrl k, the line even showed up to show that they were linked, but when i tested it no luck. Any ideas?
That should work just fine... Are you sure that the trigger_push brush can be walked into by the player? The player needs to be able to physically touch the trigger brush for it to throw him.

oh, and do you know wha tthe opengl lighting feature in GTK does exactly? I cant notice any real difference when its selected and not...That switches the rendering in the 3D View between Direct3D and OpenGL drivers... if you have an nVidia card, you should be able to browse the 3D View in OpenGL faster than in D3D.

I am having problems with Gtk RadiantSorry, I don't use GTK. Does it do it in JK2R?

how do i make a certain that when someone crosses it they die. ( like when they fall off the side of the building into the pit of darkness)It is in my tutorials at http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/ ... the servers are down at the moment, but they should be back up soon.

simarilius
07-04-2002, 07:33 AM
Rich, any idea why I'm getting this in my level? the patches are all lined up perfectly in the editor.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/simarilius/pics/speeder/wtf.jpg

thanks for the tutorials by the way, you've done a really good job explaining complicated stuff in a simple way.

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Well, you need to first realize that patches aren't technically curves... they are just highly triangulated (that's probably not the right word) surfaces. Thus, in the game, sometimes two patches up next to each other won't have their triangles matched up to each other.

The only way to make sure that they are perfectly lined up is to make sure that the vertices (not the curves themselves) in Radiant are perfectly lined up. Even a fraction of a grid unit will cause problems.

Just a random guess, but you didn't use bevels for your curve and then make an endcap cap did you? And you made sure to add the cap after you'd manipulated the vertices? Failing either of those would cause a problem like that.

WhiteShdw
07-04-2002, 08:52 AM
Hey, Richdiesel. Thanks for the tutorials. They've been a great help so far. I do have some questions though.

1. I created a small hallway for Kyle to crawl through and i put a door at the end that leads to another room. I put an area portal brush inside the door, like in your tutorial. Now when the door opens i get the HOM effect. In another part of the map i also created a door with a area portal in it and that worked fine. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. The only difference is that one door is a lot bigger than the other one.

2. I'm trying to get the vacuum of space effect that Raven put in some of their SP maps. I got a big room with a force field. I made a button/trigger which activates and deactivates the forcefield. I was trying to use trigger_push for the vacuum effect, but i want it to activate and deactivate with the forcefield. Is it possible to activate/deactivate trigger_push, or am i doing this all wrong and is there another way to make this work.

3. Does MP use the same lighting engine as SP? I loaded up my map in Sp and Mp and the lighting looks a lot better in SP.

Shadriss
07-04-2002, 10:17 AM
Ok, Rich. I join my thanks to the countless others doubtlessly already expressed. Those tuts have gotten me off to a great start. But since I design for MP exclusively (and duel maps for that matter) there are a couple areas that I'm not to clear on.

First off, they both have to do with PK3's (I think...)

Like, for example, how to get music to play in your level? Architecture, lighting and gameplay are all great, ,but hey, you gotta have tunes!

Second, I HAVE to know how to do BOT routing. I mean, as you said, it's the right thing to do. I have a duel map ready except for those elements (may not be GREAT, but Hey, *I* like it!) so I'd REALLY like to finish it off before moving on to another map.

Anyone else with these answers, feel free to let me know - I've searched all kinds of forums, and no clear answers. And as yet, no tuts! (nudge nudge, Rich...)

Shadriss
07-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Oh, ,and I had one more question - and this one isn't related to editing as such. Have you considered making the tuts downloadable? If I could get a printed 'bible' to work from, MAN would that ease my on-line time. Especially with the server down times.... Thanks again!

RichDiesal
07-04-2002, 02:49 PM
I will likely make the tuts downloadable when they are all complete. I am going back and revising them fairly often, so this will likely be a good distance in the future.

I will be making tuts on all the things you described, but I am going to finish my current mapping project first. Once I have it done, I'll be able to write some tuts on scripting too, and I know a lot of people are antsy for some of those.

For music, select worldspawn, add the key "music" and set a value. Done. :p

For bot routing (for the time being), read http://jk2ed.jediknightii.net/botroute.htm

As for the door... hmm... your door completely blocks off the hallway, right? If it doesn't, an areaportal won't work (you'll get a HOM).

As for the triggerable trigger_push effect, that is done via scripting (and thus will only work in SP).

And the lightmap interpreter in the MP engine is much less complex and efficient than the one in the SP engine. That's just the way it works. *shrug*

Winperator
07-04-2002, 07:19 PM
hi there...
at first:
great tuts :) they are very easy to understad (i am german and my english isn't the best :) ) and helped me a lot in working with the radiant...

here is my question:
bofer i tryed to map with the JK2R i mapped with Worldcraft for Half-Life...
in my JK2-Map i want to build a 360 arch... in Worldcraft i used the "arch-tool" but i don't know how to build this in Radiant...

any idea?
thanks...

simarilius
07-05-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by RichDiesal
The only way to make sure that they are perfectly lined up is to make sure that the vertices (not the curves themselves) in Radiant are perfectly lined up. Even a fraction of a grid unit will cause problems.

The vertices match up perfectly in GTK, as do the manipulation points, (the little purple ones)

Just a random guess, but you didn't use bevels for your curve and then make an endcap cap did you? And you made sure to add the cap after you'd manipulated the vertices? Failing either of those would cause a problem like that.

I used simple patches, moved the vertices then added the caps.
I did do a scale on the whole model tho, which i think must be the problem as it was ok prior to that. I've even tried deleteing the caps and creating new ones but there are still cracks. Its as tho one patch switches to a lower detail level before the other one, as at some distances/angles its fine, then all of a sudden the cap gos mad. ah well. thanks anyway, its just annoying to have something like this pop up when its essentially finished.

DarkSkywalker
07-05-2002, 01:57 AM
Rich, any idea why I'm getting this in my level? the patches are all lined up perfectly in the editor.

Your speeder can be as perfectly lined up as you want it to be, but youll have to have your game settings all the way up not to see those leaks. This is also apparent in the garbage whatever MP map, where you get the repeater. Those leaks dont appear when you have your game settings cranked up all the way. Its just how the engine works...

simarilius
07-05-2002, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by DarkSkywalker

Your speeder can be as perfectly lined up as you want it to be, but youll have to have your game settings all the way up not to see those leaks. This is also apparent in the garbage whatever MP map, where you get the repeater. Those leaks dont appear when you have your game settings cranked up all the way. Its just how the engine works...

I was puzzled by this as i thought i was running with them all cranked up so i just checked it, and I am playing on max settings. Interesting fact tho, i found when i turn geometric detail down to medium or low the cracks disappear. just bizarre.

thanks for the help

Sim

RichDiesal
07-05-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Winperator
[B]here is my question:
bofer i tryed to map with the JK2R i mapped with Worldcraft for Half-Life...
in my JK2-Map i want to build a 360 arch... in Worldcraft i used the "arch-tool" but i don't know how to build this in Radiant...
I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to make, but I bet you can get an idea in my Curves 201 tutorials... if you mean an elongated hole, just use the Hole in the Ceiling tut and turn it on its side. :)

Shadriss
07-05-2002, 04:28 AM
Regaurding the domed cieling tut -

I've encountered a couple of probs while following it, most of which revolve around the inverted bevel. You state in the tut that once the invert bevel is placed, you can shift-click the individual parts of the group to de-select them. When I try this, the editor selects whatever is OUTSIDE of the box. (IE if there is a wall behind the curve area where I'm clicking, it selects the wall, not de-selects the curve). So, is that a misprint, or am I doing something wrong?

Second, ,the one time I *DID* manage to get rid of the upper bevel (still not sure what I did differently... I'd have kept it but the editor crashed shortly thereafter...) I pulled the vertices as directed. Problem is this - You say drag the "other two" top vertices to make the dome. There's only ONE other top vertex that affects the curve, unless there's a way to placee another on the top row that you neglected to mention. THe only other vertex on the top row pulls the whole BOX toward whereever I drag it. SO again, ,what gives?

Ok, done complaining, and now awaiting an explanation. With, I hope, Patience.

Shadriss
07-05-2002, 04:32 AM
Oh, and I forgot one other puzzling thing... When I get the caps in place, then try to deselect them all with ESC, they ALWAYS get deleted as if I'd pushed the backspace. Any input on THAT issue would be good too.

Shadriss
07-05-2002, 04:45 AM
Ok, ,found the solution. I post it here only to answer anyone else's question.

In the tut, Rich notes that when you add the caps, ,they become a single function group. Well, just UNgroup them, and then delete the parts you don't want.

And I found that third vertex... was hiding behind the curve mesh, where I couldn't see it.

Sorry to take up valuable space on the thread.. but if it confused me, there's gotta be SOMEBODY else who got confused too....

RichDiesal
07-05-2002, 07:58 AM
Oh hrm... still, those problems are just bizarre. You are using JK2Radiant and not GTKRadiant, right? GTK may handle these things differently (not sure though).

You shouldn't need to ungroup the curve to do that. It's actually much more difficult to work with curves without func_groups (especially when you have very small caps/curves that are hard to select on their own).

As for the caps deleting when you hit ESC, no idea. Shouldn't do that.

simarilius
07-05-2002, 08:27 AM
the thing with them deleting, check you havent got patches filtered in the view menu. If you have as soon as their not selected they'll vanish.

Derisor
07-05-2002, 11:02 AM
RichDiesel,

If you could load up the map in radiant and look at that intersection and tell me if you can figure out where those sparlies are ocmming from, id be appreciative.

Shadriss
07-05-2002, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I'm using JK2. Never did any mapping for Quake, so I never had GTK. ANd true, ungrouping them makes it harder to move them around (Gotta select'em each individually...) but as the old saying goes, if it works....

Wes Marrakesh
07-06-2002, 02:19 AM
Rich, can you help me with my map's wierd problems?
Using: JK2 Radiant
Map: MoC(?) Skyscraper Level
MP
FFA, JM, H, CTF/CTY(?)
Problem one: I am using the window textures that are used in the emperor's throne room in the deathstar map, found in the carin texture set. I cannot see out of them, and they are detail.

Problem Two: How to do ladders that work? I made the physical brushes and I made a ladder brush that the ladder is in but it doesn't work in game unless i don't know how to do it.

Problem Three: My elevator. Neither of the buttons appear in-game, the bottom one works to bring the elevator up, but it doesn't go down while i on it, and the top button doesn't work at all. I used Rich's button tutorial.

RichDiesal
07-06-2002, 04:08 AM
One: A texture is a texture. You need a shader, not a texture. :) I don't think Raven included a shader to make that texture transparent, so you'll hafta make one yourself. :)

Two: I've never gotten a ladder to work, so I have no idea.

Three: Switches/buttons can't be used in the same way with platforms as with doors... you will need to make your platform into a func_static and script it to get it to work.

And no, I've never tried it, so I couldn't tell you how. :) There are several such platforms, however, on kejim_post and you can find the scripts in SPscripts.zip.

I will also note that if you're making a MP level, generally speaking, you should (almost) never have any switches, because that somewhat interrupts the flow of a map. You'll notice that most switches (like the insta-death areas in some of Raven's MP maps) are all simple presence - not an actual switch - for that very reason.

Wes Marrakesh
07-06-2002, 08:23 AM
hmm.... dang..... but the windows in the death star work! i tried the shader version of the window and i couldn't see out!
hmm... i guess you'll have to just jump up.
so what should i do instead? a bad staircase? ;)

XeNN
07-06-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey Rich? Nice tutorials man... I just have a few questions of my own...

1.) In my map your player has to escape from his cell, he has to find a vent to do so but he doesnt have any weapons to do so. And he starts off with limited force power... As he progresses through the stage he will find some more of course... But I want to know how to make a brush be destroyed by force push... I've tried breakables but it seems the only way is setting them to glass ^^*. Any Idea's?

2.) Is making a script (one that prints a message.) The same as Target_Print in Radiant? Does it have better features or...?

3.) I tried makeing a hover bridge... However my script seemed to make the bridge take off the far horizon! ^^*... LoL what's the deal with that? BTW im trying to make it Act like the abandoned hovercraft when you first get your lightsaber in SP.

4.) On that bridge I also want to make it so when you destroy the four generaters the bridge will fall to the ground shortly after... How would you do that?

5.) How do you manage to work on your map with all these questions?

Thank you
-----------
Sorry also forgot to mention... What do you and that other guy mean by 3fps? Area portals? In all the tutorials I've read I don't belive I heard anything about these...

RichDiesal
07-06-2002, 05:00 PM
1) That would be best done by scripting... give a force_push activated script to the breakable that activates it when push is used on it.

2) Scripting muuuuch more complicated. Scripting can make in-game cutscenes. Scripting good. :p

3) What's the bridge do? You probably don't need to script it... would likely be much easier to make it a func_train with a few path_corners to give the illusion of free floating.

4) Ehhh... well if it's a func_train, that wouldn't work. You would need to make it a func_static and script it to move between navpoints on its own. You would then need the breakables targetted at a target_counter that, once the 4 breakables had been broken, would flush the original script and instead make it fall.

5) I don't. :p The problem is that when I run into problems, I have no one to ask, so I just sit and stare at it and get frustrated. :p I am current working on ffa_archives, though, and need some help with it. There's a thread in this forum (REQ: Information on Jedi Archives I think it's called) that it would be GREAT if you could help with the request there. :D

----
Read my tutorial on doors. It goes over areaportals.

Anakin
07-06-2002, 05:21 PM
So you have finaly done it Rich, you have converted me to JKRad!!
Sooooo many things I did yesterday, getting NPCS to move were I want them to and Spawning them :)

All I need now it a trigger_once to activate a cutscene then I will be happy, any insights??

Anakin

WhiteShdw
07-06-2002, 07:45 PM

Three: Switches/buttons can't be used in the same way with platforms as with doors... you will need to make your platform into a func_static and script it to get it to work.

Actually i did it differently. I just created an elevator with func_door. I didn't like func_platform, so i did it like that. It works almost the same as func_platform, only you have to set the angle to -2 for up and -1 for down. Then you set the lip value to the distance you want it to go.

If you use this method you can do things like the buttons, as in the door tutorial. Plus you can set the wait value, so the platform stays at it's destination as long as you want.

I believe this is how Raven did the elevators in Multiplayer.

Wes Marrakesh
07-07-2002, 12:57 AM
shdw could you clarify? that might solve my problem

XeNN
07-07-2002, 02:03 AM
That would be best done by scripting... give a force_push activated script to the breakable that activates it when push is used on it.

Care to elaborate? The breakable doesnt have a trigger to when you force push/pull it... A func static does... but that doesnt break... Sorry I still have alot more things to learn ^^*

RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Anakin
All I need now it a trigger_once to activate a cutscene then I will be happy, any insights??
Should just be a trigger_once targetted to a target_scriptrunner with your cutscene's script in there... what are you having trouble with?

I believe this is how Raven did the elevators in Multiplayer.
Raven just used func_plats. There are no actual switches or func_usables in any of the MP maps they released (none that I noticed anyway).

Care to elaborate?
Well a breakable doesn't do it that way... a breakable breaks (it is coded into breakables) when it is used. Thus, you just need to use the breakable for it to shatter. You need to make a script on the breakable that activates when force_push is used on it - when run, the script will activate the breakable (causing it to explode).

I haven't actually tried it, so it will likely end up being a bit more complicated than that, but that should be the general form.

silverwest
07-07-2002, 03:38 AM
RichDiesal,

Do you know why my custom textures show up in SP, but not MP? Do they need to be in a pk3 or something?

thanks

WhiteShdw
07-07-2002, 03:46 AM
shdw could you clarify? that might solve my problem

Ok, let's see. I didn't invent this myself, i just read it on the forum a while ago.

Just make a brush for you elevator, then set it to func_door. Now you can do two things:

1. Put it at the place you want it to end/stop. The destination if you will.
2. Put it a the place you want it to start. The beginning.

I suggest just putting it at the starting place. That's easier(for me anyway).

Now if you want the elevator to go up set the angle to -2. If you want it to go down set it to -1.
Then measure the distance from the starting point to the destination point, including the brush itself. To do this draw a brush from the bottom of the elevator brush to the top of the destination. Or the other way around if the elevator is going down. Now check the lenght of the brush by pressing Q(that should show the size values of the brush). The Z value should be the one to use. All of this is similar to the method Richdiesel uses in his func_plat tutorial.
Now, take the Z value and use that as the lip value for the func_door. Add 2 gridunits to this value. So if the z value of the brush was 512 the lip value should be 512 + 2= 514. This way the func_door will line up perfectly with the destination point. Don't ask me why, i don't know. Enter the lip value in the entity window.

So now we have a brush with func_door at an angle of -2 and a lip value of 514. This means we have a platform that will move up 512 gridunits.

Now you can set things like speed, wait and delay. Set this however you like it. And you should also be able to set buttons(func_usables) the same way Richdiesel does in his func_door tutorial.

That's probably the best i can explain it in words. If you need more i'll try putting a little tutorial together myself, with pictures.

Wes Marrakesh
07-07-2002, 05:09 AM
%^$#&^ Good tutorial, i think i will do that with my frieght elevator because right after i posted the clarification request, i made my elevator work with func_train! oh well, it'll probably help others, especially those doing sp

RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by silverwest
Do you know why my custom textures show up in SP, but not MP? Do they need to be in a pk3 or something?
They do, but you can get around that by entering the console command "sv_pure 0" before launching the map while testing in MP.

Shadriss
07-07-2002, 08:54 AM
And today's strange but unadressed problem... (Can you tell I'm new to this mapping thing? :) )

As you may remember from previous posts, ,I map primarily for MP Duels. However, after REALLY looking at the map I made, I discovered that I could easilly convert it over for a small CTF, FFA, and so on map. So, then I discovered that, so far as some entities are concerned, I dont know what to place where.

For example, for a duel map, I just place two info_playerstart_deathmatch (I think that's the right name...) entities. One for each player in the duel.

But for CTF?
FFA?
TEAM FFA?
Everything else???

I just don't know. And here, I need the help. Just a list of the entities required to get those different games underway. Thanks much!

RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Ahh, an easy one.
http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/gc102lsn7.html

You'd think you'd have gone through the tutorials since you're posting in a "questions about the tutorials" thread. ;)

Shadriss
07-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Uhhhh... I must have missed that part....:rolleyes:

Well, at least it gave you ONE easy question today!

Shadriss
07-07-2002, 11:39 AM
Ok, now that I've already made myself look like an idiot....

In the team entity list, there are three types of entities. Flag, player, and spawn (blue and red for each). The flog is obvious, but which of the remaining two do I want to use for respawn points? It would SEEM that I want the spawn ones, ,but you know what they say about assumptions.....

And what's the Neutralflag for?

RichDiesal
07-07-2002, 04:12 PM
It's tricky. As I understand it, use redplayer/blueplayer for where you want players to spawn when a new CTF game begins... use redspawn/bluespawn for where you want players to respawn later - although I think if there are no bluespawn/respawns, it will default to blueplayer/redplayer.

neutralflag is for ctf games where the team that wins is the one that holds the one flag for the longest amount of time... don't think that's supported in JK2 tho.

Note that I've never actually tried these things, so you might want to experiment first. :)

Bastardo
07-08-2002, 12:49 AM
This is gonna make me look like a stupid... :(

How can I make the fx_rain sound like one? U newer told that in your tutorials!:confused:

Also how can you make it so that when you kill someone it loads next level?

Shadriss
07-08-2002, 03:58 AM
I once again take time to throw a question out, ,as it could be a good thing to know. Just what is the scale for the maps? What I mean is, how many grid units would a foot be, for example? There isn't anything more frustrating than making an intrricate passageway, testing it, ,and finding that you can't walk through it because it's too small. And moving all those brushes to make it higher takes FOREVER, and you inevitably miss one or two, so you gets leaks out the wazoo!

Can you tell this happened to me? :)

So if ANYONE has an idea or a definate notion of what the scale is supposed to be, how about filling us ALL in?

RichDiesal
07-08-2002, 08:44 AM
Making rain sound like rain is like making anything else sound like anything else. Make a target_speaker, get an mp3 that sounds like rain, and loop it. :) You can also make an ambient rain soundset that the player activates when he walks through (which is the easier way to do it, really - look at the trigger_once that Kyle starts inside on kejim_post), or you can place individual ambient rain target_speaker entities every 400 units or so scattered all over the ground.

As for scale, I have no idea. :) Generally speaking, you should be compiling with partial VIS every time you add any major architectural section to your map (easiest way to prevent leaks), so after you build your first room, you should have already played and resized that room accordingly. Then just use your first room as reference. You can also use the size of the info_player_start to figure out roughly the height of the player (although the info_ is a little shorter than it should be) in relation to everything else.

Wes Marrakesh
07-08-2002, 10:52 AM
how do you take radiant screenies?

RichDiesal
07-08-2002, 01:38 PM
Same way you take screenshots in any Windows application. Press Alt+Printscreen to copy a picture of the current window (or press just Printscreen for your full screen) onto the clipboard, then load up Adobe Photoshop, MS Paint (or another paint program) and paste the screenshot.

Clip the image as you see fit. :D

Spoon_Gouge
07-08-2002, 10:47 PM
For those who are looking for player specifics in mapping, try here: Player specifics (http://www.claudec.com/claudecs_college/q3a_ldhb/designing_info/playerspecifics.htm)
Now these are Quake specifics, but I don't believe it will matter in JK2 (except with force enhanced jumping, running etc.).
Someone was looking for ladder specifics. I posted a thread out in this forum on ladders and got a tutorial from a Star Trek Elite Forces site that answered my questions. Read the thread here (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67527)

Hope this helps...

Spoon_Gouge
07-08-2002, 10:53 PM
Rich,
I like others on this site have moved to GTKRadient. I moved for a pretty specific reason (although niether one is perfect). My problem is that the textures in system (i.e. the caulk texture) were not showing up in the selection window when I selected the library. In fact, I get only about ten of the availiable 30 or so textures when I use that library. In GTK, I see them all. Can you shed some light on what's up here?
Spoon Gouge:confused:

Shadriss
07-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Thanks much for that specifics link, there Spoon. As for the numbers for Force Jumping, just multiply it by the force ranks. IE, at Jump Lv. 1, I think it's 4X the norm, Lv 2 is 8X, and 3 is 16X. I'll check those numbers, but I think they're right.

Now, onto other issues. I STILL can't get music to play with my levels. I've got a file (emperor.mp3) in my base folder. In the worldspawn, i've set the key Music to three different values (emperor.mp3, base\emperor.mp3, & \gamedata\bas\emperor.mp3) and none of them has actually worked. So what should the value line read then? What is the actual syntax for that line?

Thanks much, peeps, this has been a great help.

RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 02:23 AM
In fact, I get only about ten of the availiable 30 or so textures when I use that library. In GTK, I see them all. Can you shed some light on what's up here?
This seems to be a common problem. Unfortunately, no one actually seems to stick with it long enough to fix it, so no one has figured out how to fix it. I would first suggest to extract the shaders/ directory from the assets0 archive and see if that helps.

Now, onto other issues. I STILL can't get music to play with my levels. I've got a file (emperor.mp3) in my base folder.
Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to put any file on the basepath - jk2 generally doesn't like that. If you had an MP3 and called it (for example) music.mp3, I would place it as music/levelname/music.mp3... then in worldspawn, reference that as music/levelname/music.mp3

Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 04:16 AM
ok...
spoon, you damn traitor! :swear: ! all you had to do was unzip mapextras.pk3.
:emperor: All units, attack!
:dtrooper: x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Yes!

Shadriss
07-09-2002, 04:46 AM
Will that pathing still work once I place it into the PK3 file, Rich? After all, that's where it's gotta go when I release it...

RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 04:54 AM
As long as you path it the same. :)

For example, if you reference "music/levelname/music.mp3", you would need to place it in "music/levelname/" within your PK3.

EDIT: PK3s, MP3s, all the same thing. :p

Anakin
07-09-2002, 05:08 AM
Dont you haveto use \ instead of / in JKRadient Rich? 007 Tuts told me so :p

Shadriss
07-09-2002, 05:27 AM
I'll just assume you meant PK3 instead of MP3, Rich. :)

BTW - How IS your new level coming anyway? After seeing Kamino, I think we ALL are kinda curious. Got any screenshots or somesuch?

XeNN
07-09-2002, 08:43 AM
How do you make it so NPC's cannot see your character? even when there looking straight at you? Is there some brush/shader I can use for it?

Wes Marrakesh
07-09-2002, 09:18 AM
those jump statistics are wrong i think.
lvl 1 is 3x
lvl 2 is 6x
and 3 is 10x

StrSk8er
07-09-2002, 12:16 PM
maybe someone can help me with my compiling errors. when i do a bsp fullvis i get the dos screen to pop up, then a error box pops up and says that there was an error with the kernel32.dll. i dont know what to do

RichDiesal
07-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Dont you haveto use \ instead of / in JKRadient Rich? 007 Tuts told me so
Nope. :) Maybe in GTKRadiant... :p Kamino's music was referenced as "sound/duel_kamino/music.mp3" You hear music in that, don't you? :p

How do you make it so NPC's cannot see your character? even when there looking straight at you?Check the "CINEMATIC" checkbox and they won't do anything except what your custom scripts command them to.

maybe someone can help me with my compiling errors. when i do a bsp fullvis i get the dos screen to pop up, then a error box pops up and says that there was an error with the kernel32.dll. i dont know what to doReinstall Radiant. If that doesn't work, install GTKRadiant and try that. If that doesn't work, get a new operating system. :)

Spoon_Gouge
07-10-2002, 12:11 AM
ok...
spoon, you damn traitor! :swear: ! all you had to do was unzip mapextras.pk3.
:emperor: All units, attack!
:dtrooper: x 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Yes!
Is this directed at me?
If so, about what?:confused: :confused: :confused:
Spoon_Gouge

Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 12:54 AM
just a joke, i guess i should lighten up a little and think up better ones. Let me rephrase:
Spoon, you didn't have to move to GTK. Alll you had to do was extract mapextras.pk3.
Better?
sorry:(
This was about your post about missing textures.

Shadriss
07-10-2002, 04:09 AM
I got the music working, Rich. The whole question about Kamino wasn't even related to that - It's related to the one you are working on NOW. I'm just curious about how it looks at present. You know... kinda like a status report (Not to mention a countdown to the completion of the rest of the tuts... :) ). If you dont have'em that's fine... but I, and probably everyone else who so loves your work, are curious.

In other news, yes, I had the jump heights wrong. I just checked the manual, and they are 2X, 4X, and 8X.

Now, I'm looking for an MP3 of the "Duel of the Fates" (the battle background from EP1 for those who don't know...) If anyone has this or can find a link to it for me, I'd appriciate it.

Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 04:44 AM
the full version or the one in the duelofthefates map?
and true or kinda wierd?

Shadriss
07-10-2002, 04:47 AM
Full version. I didn't know there WAS a duelofthefates map. And what do you mean by "true or wierd"? I'd PREFER to have the version from the actual soundtrack (in otherwords, the parts of it that were background to the saber battle) But I'll take the whole scene's background if I must.

RichDiesal
07-10-2002, 04:48 AM
I nearly have the architecture complete, but it will be a while. I have many textures and shaders to come up with. And in any case, this isn't a WIP/request for mp3s thread, so get out of here! :p

Shadriss
07-10-2002, 04:50 AM
Sorry about that... :p

Wes Marrakesh
07-10-2002, 05:25 AM
i haev 2 versions:
the true one form the Duel of the Fates map (dunno if it is the full one, don't think so)
and a modified version from ym clan's site
they are both good

superdude201
07-11-2002, 04:49 AM
I don't know if anyone else has asked but in your tutorial u say you don't need to put a massive room if it is outside so how would you do it if you wanted to make kind of buildings which are separate and you can go outside cause then you can't put the sky on because there is no brush please help.

RichDiesal
07-11-2002, 04:57 AM
You need to make enclosed brushes wherever you want the player to actually be able to go. If you just want him to be able to see (and not go) to other buildings up high, then that is fine... you will be able to see through the sky shader to whatever is behind it.

superdude201
07-11-2002, 04:58 AM
Are enclosed brushes just normal brushes or something different

Painreliever
07-11-2002, 05:16 AM
I was working on my first map which I am trying to make a fairly accurate version of the Throne room. It is my first experience with Radient so I am having to figure some things out, but your tutorials are great. So here are some questions...

When I go to check out the progress on my map, check scale, frame rate and stuff...how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff...I have only found frame rate and a few others but nothing really helpful. What is the max polys that should be in view at any time specifically for a single player and multiplayer map?

Also I was working on the large circular windows that appear behind the emperor's throne and on the sides of the room. I created a cyllinder and squashed it down, then went to vertex edit mode and moved the one sides vertices so that the radius was smaller. I capped the cyllinder and deleted the the cap that covered the wider end, then reversed the matrices where necessary to make the textures face the right direction. Then I went and made a bevel that was as wide as the radius of the large end of the cyllinder, I created inverted bevel endcaps and deleted the bevel and the opposite endcap so I was left with only the endcap facing inward. I made copies and rotated it to fit the other 3 corners. I think it turned out okay, but I get some "sparklies" or very small Hall of mirrors effect at the edge of the smaller endcap where it meets the smaller end of the edited cyllinder. Now I have read the solution to this is caulk behind the offending part, but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap, and I would like to make it into a masked texture that lets you see into a starry skybox but I haven't got that far. Am I doing things the right way or should I do them differently, and how do I fix the small HOM effect? If I knew for sure how to do that and how to check for polys I could determine how detailed I can get or how I need to design the level to make it playable.

Something along the same lines, there is a spot in the throne room where the walkway where Luke Cuts off Vaders hand runs into the circular walkway surrounding the elevator. Knowing you are not supposed ot overlap brushes, should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator? And will this cause an HOM effect at that edge?

Hope you can understand what I am talking about...if not let me know and I can post some pics...I gotta run to class or I would do it now. Let me know, thanks for the help!

Painreliever

Shadriss
07-11-2002, 07:51 AM
Hello again all you peeps. Todays mapping question is probobly another easy sone for Map-Meister Rich... but it ain't for me!

Ok, in MANY places in the SP game, you see what are basically glass displays that are clear, with the exception that they have a symbol or a readout or some such in it. So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels? They would be great to break and relieve some frustration!"

I hope I've described them such that you know what I'm talking about. Thanks to all, in advancee, for all your help.

Wes Marrakesh
07-11-2002, 09:42 AM
hmm... good question!
and how do i get the funky imperial windows that appear in the throne room in the deathstar mp to be seen through?

RichDiesal
07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Are enclosed brushes just normal brushes or something different[quote]
I mean enclosed brushes in that it's an area surrounded completely by brushes. There should always be brushes between the player and the void.

[quote]how do I check to see how many polys I am seeing and all that good stuff
You're not actually looking for polygon count, but instead triangle count (the number of tris drawn on all visible faces of all visible polygons). The command for this is "r_speeds 1". The number to pay attention to is the one directly in front of "tris". In SP, with ALL NPCs present, this should never go above 25,000 or so. Inall MP modes except duel, try to keep it at 12,000 or below. In duels, you can have it as high as 15,000ish. But do try to keep it as low as possible.

but there is no geometry behind it, it is just an endcap
That's not possible. You should never have a curve blocking off a hole to the void, so there MUST be geometry behind it. If you're going to place a sky shader back there, all the better. Place a flat brush in the hole directly behind the endcap to seal off the hole and texture the front panel with your sky shader.

should I end the rectangle brush of the walkway before the path surrounding the elevator, and the use a set of inverted capped bevels to bridge the gap between the walkway and the circular pathway around the elevator?
If I understand you correctly, yes, but you would probably find using a patch mesh easier.

So, I'm thinking "How can I put those nifty things in MY levels?
Haven't actually tried myself, but I have a feeling it's just a brush with that clear shader on either side of it, then made into func_glass...

and how do i get the funky imperial windows that appear in the throne room in the deathstar mp to be seen through?
It's just a shader. :)

Painreliever
07-11-2002, 08:24 PM
Here are some shots of what I have done...please ignore the texturing it is just to preview the level.

http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows.jpg
http://www.painreliever.org/images/windows2.jpg
http://www.painreliever.org/images/walkway.jpg

Couple questions on your answers...Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have done...I basically made a square hole in the wall, created a cyllinder as big as the hole, resized one end and capped the cyllinder, after deleting the cap that is created at the plane of the wall, I created a bevel like you talk about in the tutorial, "Circular hole in the floor/ceiling" Except I deleted the outer bevel cap and the inner box portion leaving just the the endcap that was on the plain of the wall. Now when I FullVis my level I get a leak, but I can still play everything normally and the HOM only appears at the edge of the endcap of the cyllinder where the vertices are manipulated, almost as if the vertices didn't line up from being manipulated, but since I capped it after manipulating the vertices I don't see why it shouldn't work.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?

Thanks for your help...I really appreciate it... hopefully I am making sense.

Painreliever

Wes Marrakesh
07-12-2002, 01:25 AM
Rich I know it is a shader, it was ment more as how do i use the shader to make it see-through??

Anakin
07-12-2002, 03:25 AM
Alpha Channel it, Im about to release a tut about it soon.

RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 03:29 AM
Regarding having no geometry behind the endcap, you said that is impossible. If you you look at my editor shot, windows2.jpg, I hope you can see what I have doneI say impossible in that if you have a curve blocking off the void, you create a leak in your level and VIS won't function. It is technically possible, yes, but it is something you should not have in the final compile of your map.

So if I understand what your saying right, anytime you close a gap to the void with a patch it will leak, is that right? So then would the correct way to build the windows be to create the circular section like your "Circular hole in the floor" tutorial and vertex edit the far side of the bevel to make the window seem to collapse and then add an inverted endcap to the bevel(before copying it of course) and a rectangular block of geometry to block off the hole where the end of the cyllinder is now?
....yes, though the much easier way to explain it is "always have structural brushes block off the void." :) The easiest way to figure out if you have everything blocked off right is to (first) click the button to view all patches as wireframe and (second) hide all detail brushes. From inside your level, with those two options set, you should not be able to see out to the void in the 3D View anywhere.

The other question is this, if I use a patch to seal the gap in the walkway is it going to cause an HOM effect there if the vertices don't line up precisely with the verts of the circular walkway?
You only create a HOM when the void is visible - no other occasion. You will however create sparklies, yes. The vertices must line up perfectly.

Rich I know it is a shader, it was ment more as how do i use the shader to make it see-through??
Weeell... this is a bix complex, but I'll go over it in short... I'll be writing a tutorial over it later if you want more information. If the shader isn't already see-through, you'll need to make a shader with transparency layers. My advice to you would be to find a shader in the game (like a grate) and copy that shader script into your own shaderfile. You'll notice it references two files - the first is the texture itself, while the second is the alpha channel. Copy the reference from the shader you're already looking at for the texture itself... then you'll need to make an alpha channel. To do THAT, copy the first texture into another file and make all the parts you want visible solid white and all the invisible parts solid black (I may have that backwards, I'm not sure all of a sudden. :D)

That should be about it.

Shadriss
07-12-2002, 04:20 AM
Rich, I think that answer you just gave Wes may have answered my question about the glass displays...

If You use those display shaders that have black backgrounds, they'd be see-through if I understand correctly. So, ,texture ONE side with one of those displays, the other with the glass texture, and viola! I haven't tried this yet, but it SOUNDS like it should work. All you'd have to do then is make it a func_breakable, set the chunks to be glass, ,and BOOM! Instand breakable display!

If I misunderstood any of that, let me know... GOnna try in in one of projects.

:elephant: PINK ELEPHANTS ON PARADE!

RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 05:35 AM
Sorta... texture both sides with the shader and make it a func_glass - it will break on its own like that with no further fiddling.

Shadriss
07-12-2002, 06:03 AM
Well, at least it's good to see that I can put 2 and 2 together on occassion.

Now, onto a more serious issue. I've been trying to follow that BOT path routing tutorial you directed me too, , but there seems to be one overridign problem with it. THat tut says to use the commands "bot_wp_add", ,"bot_wp_rem", etc. Problem is, I went through EVERY last bot command, and those, according to my system anyway, DONT EXIST. Oh, bot_wp_edit is there, but nothing that allows me to add waypoints at all!

So... Is this outdated information, or did I luck out and get the ONE copy of this game that didn't include it?

:gben: From my point of view, this sucks, so it must be the truth, no?

RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 06:25 AM
You need to execute the wp_bot_edit command and then restart the map you're working on. It will then load the waypoint editing commands.

Shadriss
07-12-2002, 07:02 AM
AhHAH! A TRICK! I knew it had to be something simple like that... odd that it wasn't mentioned explicitly(that I saw..). THanks much!

CoolMoeD
07-12-2002, 08:38 AM
I need some help with sound, i made a func_train (and it moves n' all) but it wont play my sound

Key: noise

Value: sound/movers/objects/raven_hover_lp.wav

what am i doing wrong here?

also do you have a suggestion for how to make a slick hill other than using the slick shader, because it makes my cylinder more like a skate park than a pit

Wes Marrakesh
07-12-2002, 09:39 AM
well i probably missed the obvious: texture both sides...
would that help?
and what is a patch?

RichDiesal
07-12-2002, 10:52 AM
I need some help with sound, i made a func_train (and it moves n' all) but it wont play my sound
func_train sounds don't work on MP for no real specific reason. Test it in SP and see if it works there.

In addition to that, you generally want to use a soundset and not just a noise. You can find the list of soundsets in sound/sound.txt

also do you have a suggestion for how to make a slick hill other than using the slick shader, because it makes my cylinder more like a skate park than a pit
Why can't you use slick on the sides and not on the bottom?

well i probably missed the obvious: texture both sides...
would that help?
Texture both sides of what? I don't know what you're talking about. :)

and what is a patch?
A curve... bevels, endcaps, meshes... all patches.

Wes Marrakesh
07-13-2002, 12:57 AM
Go to my website using the www button below this post...
check the photos section, and look for the photo that is
outside facing bunk side

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 12:21 AM
Hello!
I just have a little, a really tiny question... With Pacth Meshes everything gets ****T up..they wont some nice hills or bumbs or anything......they are just ****ing with me.....how the ... do I make nice patch meshes???????????!!!

I really appreciate help (=

Thx in Advance

Btw, RD your tut rocks!! best tut to anything I ever wanted to learn about (=

Shadriss
07-14-2002, 12:28 AM
Well, Micke, I haven't done much with the meshes themselves, but I HAVE messed around a lot with bevels and endcaps, so I IMAGINE they work much the same. Getting them to cooperate with you involves the manipulation of the vertices (hit the V key to enter vertex edidtion mode). You just have to mess around with them until it shapes the mesh the way you want it. Sorry I cant get any more specific than that... But really, that's all that CAN be really said about manipulating a mesh.

I hope that helps a little... and if It doesn't, ,I'm sure that the mighty Mapping God shall decend from his throne to take pitry upon you and assist further. (Just a little buttering up there, Eh, Rich?)

:vadar: You dont know the POWER of the JK2 Editor. Join me, and we can rule this thread!
:luke: But the thread belongs to Rich!
:vadar: Oh. Yeah. I forgot.

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 01:52 AM
Well, Shad that helped me nothin...Everyone says "mess around" yeah, well it gets nothing better =(

But, I got another question: how do u make torches? <<-- dont know if I spell it right

Thx in Advance

Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 03:07 AM
A. You spelled it right.
B. Look in your thread, I answered for you.
C. Anyone know where the reelo and lady luck chair's are?
D. How do you make a func_plat or the other one do a turn?
Meaning, if you have a prefab(or model) that's going forward, and you want it to go around a caorner, while still moving straight(it looks a little weird to have, say an x-wing going forward, and then start strafing...)

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 03:42 AM
Ok, thx Sirob..I'll try it out later....while now I ahve a new question (got lot of them eh?)..

Is it possible(and if, how?) can I make a wall turn 45 degrees...on my 2d view....I can get it 90 degrees but I need it at 45..anyone??

Thx In Advance

Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 03:47 AM
Well, you could either use the free roate button, or there's another way I beleive.
In your, um, selection menu?
Well, somewhere...
There's a (yeah, it's selection menu at the top)folder called "rotate"
In there there's a selection called "z rotate" (or something like that...)
Just put in the number 45.
I'm hoping that's right, gtk isn't infront of me right now...

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 04:58 AM
Great!! I found it!!! Thx alot man (= It worked out wit the torches to :D :D :D

For the time however I have another question (kinda routin now eh??)... How do I add sound to the fire..feels a bit stupid with fire that doesnt soun anything...... That all, over and out!

:rodian: For the Sake of Being Green!

RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 09:18 AM
Sounds for fires and such are covered in http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/en220lsn3.html

As for func_plats/func_doors, you don't make them turn, I don't think. There is an option to make them face the direction of the next waypoint, but I'm not sure if it works or not.

Wes Marrakesh
07-14-2002, 09:24 AM
Rich, I have more window shader questions. go here (http://www.geocities.com/wesmarrakesh/photos.html) and look at the bunk room pics and the outside facing bunk rooms pic. see the big, round windows? i want to be able to see through them. If not i guess i must make it glass =(

RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 09:29 AM
I suggest you read the Q3A shader manual. I would need to screw around with it to get it to work myself. :) You need to make a shader with a transparency layer.

Grets Sirob
07-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Wes, have you tested in-game yet?
You should try it in-game before you judge, several things are different in-editor than in-game.
Fog for instance...

darth_micke
07-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Yeah okey I got the sound and everything...but its kinda wrong sound..... so I though "Hey lets look in the assets.pk3 to find other sound..." And I didnt.....I cant find the other sounds!! And Im feeling quite stupid to :(

Oh well, I hope there is someone out there with a heart and experience enough to help me ;)

:rodian: For the Sake of Being Green

RichDiesal
07-14-2002, 11:58 PM
It's in there... :)

Load up assets0 in WinZIP and sort by directory (click on the "Path" column). All the sounds you would want to use are probably going to be in sound/ambience/

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Thx Rich, however someone else got there before u ;)

But, I found it easier to use packscape to find my sound, and that I wanted to use was in effects actually....

Thx anyways =)...

You'll sure hear from me again hehe :P

Until then, have a nice time!:D

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 01:23 AM
oh, oh ,oh guess what?? I've got another question :P

Would a cage of undestructable glass lower the fps with much???

Just wondering...coz I had a glass thing going on in my head..but want it to be playable to.....

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 02:32 AM
Here I am again.... just read the tut wit the glass thing (not tried it myself) ..but in the tut u obviously can see the glass from just one side, and I want it to be so you can se right through it...got my idea?? Good, then help me:P

RichDiesal
07-16-2002, 02:59 AM
Try to consolidate your posts into 1 in the future. :p

And I'm not entirely sure what you're asking... glass is a shader, and shaders typically (depending on what kind of shader it is) cause the engine to draw two or three times as many triangles as they normally would.

As for seeing it from one side... what else would you be able to do? :) Put glass on any surface you want to be able to see through from that side. Technically, you could put glass on one surface and metal on the other side of the brush and still be able to see through the brush from the glass side.

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 03:21 AM
Ah okey....

And that 2 post thing....I came up wit the question like 2 seconds after i posted the first one *lol*

But I'll try ut this evening...very soon..just gonna finnish some tunnels leading to the place..

However you didnt answear one of my question: if I make a cage, would the fps(frame per second) be much lower than it would be w/o the cage?

Wes Marrakesh
07-16-2002, 03:26 AM
Yes Grets i tried it in-game and to no avail... *sigh* Glass panes look so plain and ugly:(

Anakin
07-16-2002, 03:47 AM
OK NPC's Rich, I need to know EXACTLY how to get one to follow a sctipt, walk in a set path and not be afraid of Enemy or me.

If you can get hold of me on ICQ that would be great :)

Anakin

RichDiesal
07-16-2002, 08:07 AM
if I make a cage, would the fps(frame per second) be much lower than it would be w/o the cage?
Framerate using glass will drop just as much as if you used any other shader. A few shaders won't cause many problems, but if you have more than say... four or five hundred visible at any one time, that can cause some problems.

Shaders do add double to quadruple additional triangles to be drawn also, so you hafta keep that in mind when looking at r_speeds (as it won't add in the triangles from the shaders).

As for Anakin, I already took care of ya. :)

Painreliever
07-16-2002, 02:04 PM
1. Is there any way to select all the brushes on the map at once or a selection box kinda thing? Is there a good way to select multiple objects that are being hidden by another brush?

2. This is similar to the 1st question... Is there any way to quickly apply the caulk texture to all obects, or to caulk unseen faces? I find myself forgetting to switch back to caulk when creating new shapes after previewing my level.

3. Also I changed all my circular windows (as in emperor's throne room) from being vertex edited cyllinders to make them structural bevels with a wall to seal the center portion and inverted endcaps for the inside, but for some reason I still get a ***Leaked*** in my FullVis process. I have checked all around my level and there aren't any curves meeting the void, I sealed them with solid structral elements. There are also no visible gaps that I could find. Do I need to add additional walls around the bevels that make up the windows too since those are curves, or does the center portion of the bevel (ie before you put the endcaps on it) work as a structural element to keep the leak from happening?

Thanks again!
Painreliever

WhiteShdw
07-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Hey Rich. I was just wondering if it was possible turning of lights in MP.

I made a trigger using Radiants MP settings that should turn off some lights in my map, but it only seems to work when I run the map in SP, not in MP.

darth_micke
07-16-2002, 10:54 PM
The return of Guy with the many question!

Today however I only got one left, then my map is final *tadaam*
Okey to the wuestion:

Is there any rock models in the assets file?? Or do I have to make on mself, in that case, how?

Okey, okey that was two...well well....

RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 12:26 AM
Is there any way to select all the brushes on the map at once or a selection box kinda thing? Is there a good way to select multiple objects that are being hidden by another brush?
Actually, it's quite simple. Simple create a new brush (of any texture) and surround whatever it is that you want to select. Then click the Select Inside button (to the right of the Flip/Rotation tools). It will select all brushes inside the brush you just drew as well as delete the new brush.

2. This is similar to the 1st question... Is there any way to quickly apply the caulk texture to all obects, or to caulk unseen faces? I find myself forgetting to switch back to caulk when creating new shapes after previewing my level.
Sorta. You can automatically/quickly apply caulk to any surface that the BSP surface would automatically cull anyway by pressing Shift-A with a brush selected. The problem is that this doesn't always get every surface that should be caulked. The best way to do it is to simply to apply caulk to the whole brush and then texture the individual faces you need to.

to make them structural bevels with a wall to seal the center portion and inverted endcaps for the inside
That is impossible. Bevels by their very nature cannot be structural - they are simply drawn on top of brushes. To check for leaks, you need to Show Patches as Wireframe (button in the toolbar) AND Hide Detail Brushes (CTRL+D). If you can see out to the void from any part of your level with both of those set, then that is your leak.

I made a trigger using Radiants MP settings that should turn off some lights in my map, but it only seems to work when I run the map in SP, not in MP.
Switchable lights do not work in MP, as far as I know.

Is there any rock models in the assets file?? Or do I have to make on mself, in that case, how?
Nope, just make one yourself. I would make a low profile cubic brush and then just random cut sides off of it from the Side and Front views. I made a rock (took all of 15 seconds too) in my Brushes 201 tutorial if you want an example. Don't use mine, but trust me, they're not hard. :)

Wes Marrakesh
07-17-2002, 01:31 AM
I'm back with that same darned group of windows...
can you just tell me how they did it in the deathstar throne room? You know, those circular windows that have the little desgin in the center?:confused: This drives me up the wall, because there are 3 shaders, two that look the same, and one different, and then 1 normal that looks like the 2 shaders.:confused:

RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 07:40 AM
I didn't do the Deathstar Throne Room, so why are you asking me? :)

Wes Marrakesh
07-17-2002, 10:17 AM
No, the one included in the game!
The Deathstar FFA Level with the garbage masher and the superlaser! Take elevators up and you get in the throne room1:rolleyes:

RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 10:53 AM
I didn't make that one either!!! :p

James Brophy
07-17-2002, 08:57 PM
richard your site is well dead! i cant get there i am a complete :newbie: at this but about sky do you only make it on the top of the map or what?

RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 11:32 PM
It seems working now... :) http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/

And yes! You should only put sky on the surfaces that you want to be sky. You should NEVER make a gigantic cube with sky on it that extends a huge distance around your map. Baaaaad. :)

Ah Boon
07-18-2002, 12:46 AM
i have a big questions and wanna know if anyone could help:-

how do u make a column where when the player destroys it, the whole column and the floor will colapse and causing the player to fall into the dark pit. any ideas?

Wes Marrakesh
07-18-2002, 01:21 AM
Rich, why are you being dense?:mad:
I know you didn't make it that doesn't mean you can't look at it in-game and give me a suggestion as to how to do it!

RichDiesal
07-18-2002, 10:38 AM
Rich, why are you being dense?:mad:
I know you didn't make it that doesn't mean you can't look at it in-game and give me a suggestion as to how to do it!
I did... quite a while ago, too... I said it was probably a shader with a transparency layer. So go find that shader and use it. :p

how do u make a column where when the player destroys it, the whole column and the floor will colapse and causing the player to fall into the dark pit. any ideas?
Not too difficult... first make both the column and the floor SEPERATE func_breakables. For the breakable that's the floor, set the INVINCIBLE flag. Then target the column at the floor. Done. :)

Ah Boon
07-19-2002, 12:03 AM

Not too difficult... first make both the column and the floor SEPERATE func_breakables. For the breakable that's the floor, set the INVINCIBLE flag. Then target the column at the floor. Done. :)

wut do u mean by set the invicible flag?

Wes Marrakesh
07-19-2002, 12:03 AM
... guess i'll do glass panes instead...
Do you know what the heck i am supposed to do to get rid of this angled, grey and white striiped thing i get in-game?

darth_micke
07-19-2002, 12:22 AM
Hi..Since nobody gives a holy **** about my threads I post a post here to! :mad:

Well to the subject:

I have just finished everything on my map and wanna add som sound...I found whay I needed..BUT when I tryed to insert in the Jk2Radiant it wont go...I have made speakers with the path sounds/stt.mp3 since I have it in a pk3 file I think it should work!!!!

Its so annoying..there aint no sound at all....Anyone knows what's wrong??

Need help soon.....

Thx In Advance!!!!!!

Shadriss
07-19-2002, 08:33 AM
Micke... when you say sound, I get the impression you mean background music. If that's the case, it's an easy fix. Just put it in a subdirectory (within the base folder for testing and the in PK3 for the final version) called "music", then, in the editor, ,bring up the attributes for the Worldspawn entity. Key is music, and the value will be "\music\(your mp3 here)"

If it's just a different sound to be played in a specific location... well... there's always the Mighty Mapping God.... :)

:bounc5: :snip2: DANGIT! STAND STILL!

darth_micke
07-19-2002, 08:57 AM
Shadriss

Uhm yeah its background sound......I put it in my pk3 file under sounds......does it matter THAT much???! :confused:

Hope for a quick ansear.....soon bedtime here u know :D

Shadriss
07-19-2002, 10:13 AM
Honestly, I dunno. But I DO know that the standard is for it to be in a music subdir. It doesn't take that long to change, but if you dont want to bother, just change the value in the Worldspawn to "\sounds\(your MP3here)". ANd dont forget to put it in the PK3 in the same subdir name no matter what you choose to go with.

THink it would still work, but not sure. Best of Luck.

:fire11: :blaze6: We now return to our fight, already in progress....

RichDiesal
07-19-2002, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure what you're referring to, then... is it an actual music track or just ambient sound? And yes, it makes a difference. :)

Do you know what the heck i am supposed to do to get rid of this angled, grey and white striiped thing i get in-game?
Angled? Where do you get it exactly? If it's a white grid on a grey background, you have a missing texture somewhere.

wut do u mean by set the invicible flag?
A "flag" is a checkbox in the entity window.

Altus_Thrawn
07-19-2002, 07:51 PM
Well, I'm starting to learn maps from scratch, and this tutorial is helping, but sometimes it makes me feel like the guy is teaching some one who knows how to make maps how to make maps.

It is very confusing.

darth_micke
07-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Uhm rich as I already have told u, it is a background sound....
Which would be a music track.....

And from my point of view: Since I give the path Sounds/blablabla.mp3 AND there is a Sounds/blababla.mp3 it really shouldnt matter if I changed it to music/blablabla.mp3 now would it???

Maybe Im wrong, like the most of the times, but I doesnt make any sense!:confused:

Shadriss
07-19-2002, 11:35 PM
Micke, instead of wasting a lot of time trying to get something that MAY work to work, why not take that same time to change it to the format we KNOW works? Is it REALLY that big a moral dilemma?

:barf2: Now is this really nessicary?

darth_micke
07-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Pardon me I was just wondering :snear:

So u say that if I change the path to music it should work? Fine then I'll try....

darth_micke
07-20-2002, 12:43 AM
Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():
Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for
random access (music/stt)

Im guessing I need a trigger to start all the sounds, but I couldnt get the trigger_once when I looked in the menu :(

Its a MP map......

Thx

:r2d23: meeeep, meeeeep *making sad droid sound*

Ah Boon
07-20-2002, 01:02 AM
A "flag" is a checkbox in the entity window.

ima n00b.... i really dont know how to check that invisible thingy.... tell me more pls!

RichDiesal
07-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Well, I'm starting to learn maps from scratch, and this tutorial is helping, but sometimes it makes me feel like the guy is teaching some one who knows how to make maps how to make maps.
It will be confusing unless you learn each lesson in GC101-102 before moving on to the next. You have learn every single concept in every one of those lessons BECAUSE I tend to mention stuff from those two classes quite a bit throughout the rest of the lessons. If you don't have the foundation, don't expect to lay any bricks.

Well, I tried what u told me and got the following error message while trying to start the map:

LoopSiund_Channellnit():
Cannot use streamed MP3 files here for
random access (music/stt)
That will only happen if you're trying to use a looped MP3 on a target_speaker, which you cannot do in MP. You JUST said it was background music and NOT background ambient sound, so you shouldn't need a target_speaker anyway.

Deselect everything and then select a brush. Bring up the entity window and scroll down to worldspawn. Add the key music and the value music/stt.mp3
(I assume that's where you saved it... it can be in sound/ or music/ or even gasdfasdf/, you just hafta reference it correctly in worldspawn)

Should work after that.

darth_micke
07-20-2002, 02:25 AM
Uhm rich YOUR the one who told me to do it with a speaker :mad:

Hmm well however... If I convert my mp3 to a wav should it be able to loop???? Just wondering..... I know I make it harder than it is but I need the looping.....

RichDiesal
07-20-2002, 02:56 AM
When did I say that? If it is a background ambient sound, you do need to use target_speakers. If it is music, you do not.

You do not need to convert music to a wav - it will loop music files triggered in worldspawn automatically. If you want a local ambient sound on a target_speaker, then yes, you would need to convert it to a wav for MP. You also need to note, however, in that case, you cannot have both a looped and global sound. The engine doesn't support those two options together.

Also note that the volume level of whatever you put for your music track is dependant not on the WAV, but instead on the "music volume" they have set in preferences - some people (like me) have music turned off.

Thus again, back to why my original question was important. If you want music (actual music), put it in worldspawn. If you want local ambient sound (like crickets chirping, the sound of rain, etc), it needs to be in a target_speaker.

darth_micke
07-20-2002, 03:04 AM
You told me so on MSN....

Well no harm done..just some hours.... Does the worldspawn loop the sound as well?

Probably just a missunderstanding from my side 'bout the speakers

Wes Marrakesh
07-20-2002, 05:58 AM
as far as i know the worldspawn automatically loops music

darth_micke
07-20-2002, 06:12 AM
Yeah, now I know that now Wes, but thx anyways :D

I am actually finished with my first MP Map now :D :D :D

For the moment Im looking over scripting and cutscenes but cant find any really good tut.....so Im waiting for Rich to get started wit the tuts :D

Wes..a question: 1. Do u have msn? If u do can I have your mail??? :D

Ehm guess that was 2....yeah yeah

:r2d23: Meep, Meep *making droid sound*

Prince_B_ond
07-20-2002, 02:13 PM
I've started your tutorial about 2 weeks ago and im already done with the first two parts and now im on the final project of making platforms surrounded by sky.

I have 2 questions about this project.

1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?

can you help me out rich?

Wes Marrakesh
07-21-2002, 12:25 AM
yeah, i have msn
i'm wesmarrakesh@hotmail.com
my email for big attachments (:lol: ) is wesmarrrakesh@earthlink.net

Wes Marrakesh
07-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Ok Rich, I have a question..*duh*..
where can i find the music used in the MP Maps? i have the ones from sp, but not mp...

WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Hey, Rich.

I have created a forcefield in my MP map that i wanted to turn off and on. I was using a trigger_multiple for this(in a button configuration like in your tuts), that triggers the forcefield to turn off. The forcefield itself is a func_usable.

Now the problem i'm having is that i can turn off the forcefield by just walking up to it and pressing enter. This works only the first time. If i use the trigger_multiple to turn it off and back on and then try to deactivate it by pressing enter in front of the func_usable, it doesn't work.

So i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I want the func_usable to only respond to the trigger_multiple and nothing else. Maybe i should add a tag to the entity but i don't know what. I don't have the problem when i try it in SP. Maybe it's a bug in the code, i don't know.

I also put some other func_usables in the map to test and it seems i can just turn them off by walking up to them and pressing enter. So maybe it's supposed to be that way. It's just that i want it to respond to a trigger and not anything else.

Any ideas?

WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 01:28 AM
Ok Rich, I have a question..*duh*..
where can i find the music used in the MP Maps? i have the ones from sp, but not mp...

Well, I'm not Rich, but here we go.

They just use the same music in MP as in Sp. You just have to look for the tracks they used. For example, the duel_temple map by Raven uses the yavfinal_explore.mp3 in the map music/yavin_final.

So have look around and have a listen. Also i think you can open the bsp file in notepad and just use ctlr F to search. If you then type in music you should be able to find the link of the music they used in the map. You won't be able to read the whole .bsp file but some parts are readable.

darth_micke
07-21-2002, 01:47 AM
Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya

Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 01:49 AM
rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)

WhiteShdw
07-21-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by darth_micke
Whiteshdw...Im not sure what u'r asking......but I'll give it a shot :)

When u create your forcefield you make it to a func_wall right?

Then the trigger should be trigger_multiple and then a button (func_useable) ... The spawnflags on the trigger_multiple should be FACING, PLAYER_ONLY and USE_BUTTON ......

And if u do this it should work.....it worked for me ....

Oh well.....see ya

No, i use a func_usable. Func_wall is not available in MP(not with me anyway, maybe i need new entity definition files).

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.

darth_micke
07-21-2002, 04:14 AM
Oh okey.....well I've never tried forcefields in mp.... but Im sure your NOT supposed to use a func_usable.. that is pretty clear to me....... Hmm I would put some system/physics clips on both sides of the force fields.....

Maybe?

Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 04:26 AM
thanks RD! beta 1 is coming out soon as soon as i finish adding ammos and other stuff. btw, how do u add botroutes?

Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 04:26 AM
thanks RD! beta 1 is coming out soon as soon as i finish adding ammos and other stuff. btw, how do u add botroutes or bot support?

darth_micke
07-21-2002, 08:27 AM
Shadriss: damn that dont sound to funny...ehm.. So, you have re-installed both, eh?... Hmm have u runned a virus scan?? Just wondering...

Shadriss
07-21-2002, 09:39 AM
Well, today has been extremely odd. JK2Rad has been acting up on me left and right, to the point that I had to erase and reinstall not just it, but also JK2 itself. That fixed most of my probs, but now a bizzare one has cropped up.

I'm trying to take an in-game look at my latest project (for further info, see the Return of the Turkeyburger Thread) and I ran across what has to be the oddest thing. I get the fullvis build done, enter MP mode in JK2, and try to enter the map via "devmapall".
Ok so far. The problem? "Can't Find maps/turkey.bsp" WTF? When it (radient) gets done building, it creates the bsp and puts it in the maps subdir. So I check, ,and lo and behold, there it be. So, again, WTF? EDIT : Now, the TRULLY odd thing is that when I do it from the SP side, it can find it. It cant load it (No sp spawn) but it can find it.

Comments, suggestions, etc. would be helpful here?
:guard: If the Emporer says "It is your destiny" ONE MORE TIME...

RichDiesal
07-21-2002, 09:45 AM
1. Should I make these platforms/center tower out of brushes or is there something I missed in the tutorial?
Not sure which tutorial set you're on. If you've done GC102, use patches to make the tower. If not, brushes.

2. When I load up my map in single/multiplayer my platforms are totally dark and in your directions it tells me to leave the platforms alone because the sky will light them. I have tried lowering the sky but it hasnt helped, could this have something to do with the fact that I created the brushes before adding the sky? and why wont the platforms light up now?
Shouldn't matter... which sky are you using? Make sure you use bespin/sky (or sky_platform) and not skies/bespin, as skies/bespin does not light anything.

The switch is not the problem, that works fine. The problem is that i can turn off the forcefield even when im not using the switch, just by standing in front of it and pressing enter. Now if i could use func_wall in Mp i probably wouldn't have this problem.
Switches and the like are very quirky in MP - especially USE_BUTTON switches. If you notice, Raven did not once use a switch in their MP maps where you need to press the USE_BUTTON. My guess is that you just... well, can't.

If you really want to do it, I would make the forcefield brush into a func_door with an opening speed of some unreasonably high number so that it seems instantaneous.

rich, i have now made a column and a floor. my column is made of 2 brushes and i made both of the columns and the floors into func_breakable so, how do i connect both of the brushes in my column to the floor so tat when they chop off either brush of the column, the floor will colapse.
Will not work, for the simple reason that there are two possible trigger brushes. What would end up happening is that you'd destroy one of the 2 brushes of the column, and the wall would break while the other half of the column stays standing. Make the column just one piece (one breakable piece anyway), and target it at the floor. Set the floor to INVINCIBLE, just like you would set any other flag. Otherwise, you'll be able to chop through the floor and have it break without touching the column.

Prince_B_ond
07-21-2002, 09:59 AM
Ahh.. thx for the help

Derisor
07-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Ah Boon

sorry if its too confusing but i hope tat u guys could really help me out on this. thanx :)

This can onlz be done with a script.

Ah Boon
07-21-2002, 11:01 AM
no derisor, i have successfully made it :) btw, i need help with adding bot support to my map so pls pls pls..... check my latest thread :)

Darth-Nasty
07-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Brilliant tutorials

however just a few questions:

1. i can make a brush, then use the bevel function to make a curve, then use the cap function to make it fit along side a straight brush. However when i press esc to deselect it; it dissapears!! what am i doing wrong???

2. What is the best way to make stairs???

Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 12:31 AM
1. dunno.
2. Make one individual stair, preferrably at the top or bottom of the staircase, should be 8 units tall, texture it, and clone it. Position the cloned brush in the postion of the next stair, and repeat.

RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 01:00 AM
If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

For stairs, there are a number of methods, although the one Wes mentioned is most common (and one of the easiest). All you hafta make sure of is that the angle that you build the stairs at is 45 degrees or less.

After doing that, make a brush with one surface flush with the stairs' top (i.e. a flat surface that the player will walk on) and texture it with system/physics_clip. This is so that the player doesn't bounce from step to step.

Ah Boon
07-23-2002, 12:07 PM
rich, how i make a trigger_hurt that kills a player instantly without using dmg -1 which triggers the fall thru effect. i jsut want the plain kill the player trigger. tahnks :)

WhiteShdw
07-23-2002, 12:17 PM
Just set the damage level higher than 200. That should kill anybody instantly, seeing that you have a max health of 100 and a max shield of 100. Anything that does damage higher than 200 should theoretically kill anyone with max health and shields. You can set it higher if you want it to kill very strong NPCs.

Also set the no protection value, that way nothing can protect you from the damage.

RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Yeh, just set the trigger to DMG/1000.

Darth-Nasty
07-23-2002, 01:08 PM
If it disappears, you may have Radiant set not to show curves. Check the View->Show menu and make sure Show Curves is checked.

this didnt work but it did help me do find the problem.

It was because i had show func_groups unchecked!

thanks for your help

Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 04:09 PM
SV_SetBrushModel: NULL
means what? it screwed my map:(
the beta version too :mad:

RichDiesal
07-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Eh, a good number of things, that could be.

Get GTKRadiant and do an evil brush purge in BobzTools.
If that doesn't fix it, change any and all sky shaders into regular textures.
If that doesn't fix it, I don't know. :D

Wes Marrakesh
07-23-2002, 09:59 PM
I thought you hated GTK Radiant :p
Where can i get it and does it come with BobzTools?
if no where can i get them?:confused:

Ah Boon
07-23-2002, 11:54 PM
u can get it from radiant.com if im not mistaken....

RichDiesal
07-24-2002, 01:18 AM
I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p

WhiteShdw
07-24-2002, 09:37 AM
I don't hate GTKRadiant... I just think JK2Radiant is better, generally speaking. The only advantage to GTK as I see it is BobzTools, which is an incredibly useful set of tools. To do some of the things you can do in BobzTools manually would take a long long time.

But I'm not sure where you can get it... I don't even have it installed at the moment, but next I need to locate it, I'll let you know. :p

I agree, i had a compiling error once with an evil brush somewhere in the map. Good luck finding it. I just ran bobtoolz's brush cleanup and it worked fine again.

You can find GTK radiant here: http://www.qeradiant.com

it seems they just released version 1.2.10 wich supportst SOF2 and has some updates for JK2

Ah Boon
07-24-2002, 12:05 PM
i setted me dmg to 1000 and it still doesnt kill my player instantly! :( its like this, i made a func_plat tat travels at speed 1000 and with the correct height. so, i put my trigger_hurt just where the platform will be when its up. the prob is, when the plat goes up, nothin happens. just minus the health by 1 :(

RichDiesal
07-24-2002, 12:07 PM
Odd... SP or MP?

BoBa feTTichiNi
07-24-2002, 07:58 PM
How would i get the textures for the swamp map in signle player?

Wes Marrakesh
07-24-2002, 08:11 PM
how do you know brush cleanup has done it's job and which brush it was?

Ah Boon
07-24-2002, 10:09 PM
Odd... SP or MP?

MP of course :D

silverwest
07-24-2002, 10:54 PM
i have two questions about sounds.

first, my some of my ambient sounds are too loud, specifically the fire ones. is there a way to make it softer without actually editing the wav file that came with the game?

also, is there a way to create custom soundsets?

thanks

Shadriss
07-25-2002, 10:09 PM
Ok. IN the past hours I've been continuing to troubleshoot the problem I described above. And I've discovered something REAL odd. Now, JK2 radient doesnt even create the .nav and .bsp files that it used too... Needless to say, I'm getting more irritated by the moment. I've even un-installed and re-installed both the game and the editor, but to no avail.

Rich, , if you have ANY idea of how to get my editor working properly again, or, for that matter, if ANYONE has any idea... PLEASE!!!!! TELL ME! I finally have another good map idea and it was REALLY starting to take shape!

Shadriss
07-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Ok, I have here a Class 1, no kidding, really irking me off problem here. The editor (JK2Radient) is working great, so no complaints there. But here's the issue...

I save my map. I compile it. I check to make sure the .bsp file has, in fact been created (for this example, ffa_dantooine.bsp). I load up the MP side of JK2, and "/devmapall ffa_dantooine.bsp". Result?

"Can't find maps/ffa_dantooine.bsp"

Yes, I checked to be sure it's in the right directory. Yes, I checked all my settings (that I can find) in Radient. So... Um... What in the bloody nine moons is going on here?

Oh, I guess I should mention that in other troubleshooting efforts (same prob) I have also un-installed and re-0installed not just Radient itself, but also JK2. Into thier normal, default directories.

If anyone has an idea on this one, It would be much appriciated, as my work has now come to a screeching halt!

Thanks!

:bdroid2: ffa_dantooine? That does not compute... You're under arrest!