PDA

View Full Version : so called "Elite" duelers

Padawan Andy
06-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Ok, I've been on multiplayer for about a month now. I love it. I stick to duel servers mainly because I have 56K conection and lag cant be avoided. The two servers I frequent are decent, but today I came across this lamer Standard rule in ther servers I go to we ALWAYS bow before a duel no matter what. But this buy, this lamer wouldnt do it. He said and I qoute...

"I only bow to those worthy, and you are not."

So I lost to him by a backstab while I was typing no less. :mad:. He continues to win this way every fight. Sometimes he'll DFA, or spin..but if he cant win that way he just backstabs while someone is trying to type, or change skin. Just made me angry, and made the whole game miserable. I tell you, its one thing to claim you have skill, and another to wh0re a move and act high and mighty.

Hateplow
06-28-2002, 05:08 PM
I dont bow either, thats for carebares and 0.o's

darth dragon
06-28-2002, 06:22 PM
how the **** do u bow as people have asked me i said no to cover up the get ****** off and i kick there arse as i am the most powerful Darkjedi.

[Edit - Stormy - swearing. The auto-censor's there for a reason. :cool: ]

KrazeFan
06-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Padawan Andy
Ok, I've been on multiplayer for about a month now. I love it. I stick to duel servers mainly because I have 56K conection and lag cant be avoided. The two servers I frequent are decent, but today I came across this lamer Standard rule in ther servers I go to we ALWAYS bow before a duel no matter what. But this buy, this lamer wouldnt do it. He said and I qoute...

"I only bow to those worthy, and you are not."

So I lost to him by a backstab while I was typing no less. :mad:. He continues to win this way every fight. Sometimes he'll DFA, or spin..but if he cant win that way he just backstabs while someone is trying to type, or change skin. Just made me angry, and made the whole game miserable. I tell you, its one thing to claim you have skill, and another to wh0re a move and act high and mighty.

Most of the time I don't bow because I don't know the guy I'm dueling. But if I dueled him or even seen him duel before, and he seems like a decent guy then I'll bow. I DON'T LIKE PEOPLE TELLING ME I HAVE TO BOW (THIS OR THAT, ETC.)

As for backstabbing you while typing? WTF are you typing while dueling in the first place? Backstabbing while you change skins? WTF are you changing skins in the middle of a duel? Do all of those things before getting into a duel... duh!

Marvelous*
06-28-2002, 10:13 PM
If the person bows first, then ill bow back,
like in real life, i dont go about the place shaking peoples hands,
but i will shake one if he goes to shake mine, you know what i mean?

like i said in the other thread tho, i dont like cheap kills,
theres no point in playing if i dont get to use the skills ive spent so long learning..

i dont see a prob with the chatting, but maybe you shouldnt be switching models mid-game,
i mean it isnt crucial to your win is it?

the annoying thing with some of the people who DFA or BS is that,
when they have to go somewhere they are the first to say "wait"

(and before i get flamed, no that doesnt apply to every cheap killer out there :rolleyes: )

*Darth Vega*
06-29-2002, 05:11 AM
Here's my rules to bowing:

1. Never bow.

2. If the person who bows to you is a dick saber him/her while he/she bows.

3. When in doubt saber anyway.

4. If you like the person give them a taunt, never bow, ever.

5. See rule #1.

Robbiesan
06-29-2002, 06:52 AM
I don't mind the bow thing.. if someone doesn't want to bow no biggie...

HellFyre69
06-29-2002, 07:07 AM
one thing tho... if your going to type a msg in a duel, say hold on first or w8

and to avoid typing just have some binds saying that u always say

BlackDove
06-29-2002, 08:25 AM
I always bow, even if they don't.....adds to the rush if I will be able to evade the usual lightstance fast swing...

CreeP_303
06-29-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by =SSC=Kal-El
I always bow, even if they don't.....adds to the rush if I will be able to evade the usual lightstance fast swing...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

word.

kaibigan
06-29-2002, 09:39 AM
I dont bow. Not because I am dishonorable but because in all the fight scenes in the series just how many times did you actually see Vader bow to Luke or Maul bow to Qui Gon? None
But I wont attack someone until they are in a fighting stance.
I also dont really have much to worry about to get killed while because I very rarely talk in a match. Want to chat then go to ICQ. But not in a game server.
That makes me so mad. I can see occasional messages like giving email addresses or what not. Or in a practice alot of typing there. But on a pub 8 person server you got two or more guys with the sabers down and chatting. Taking up space. And if you ask them politely to play or make room for other players they always get hostile. That is when I usually consider it open season and start hacking them everytime I see them with sabers down.

Kaito Fett

Pada-Wan
06-29-2002, 10:35 AM
"Want to chat then go to ICQ"

PERIOD. only fags chat while playing saying "NOOB! NOOB! IM HAVING A ORGASM SAYING THIS WORD! NOOB!! NOOB!!!"

Darth Knight
06-29-2002, 10:50 AM
i do not bow i hate it is stupid

RpTheHotrod
06-29-2002, 11:04 AM
I bow if someone else does....as long as they havn't annoyed me before. In that case, I chop off their head while they bow.

The Truthful Liar
06-29-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by *Darth Vega*
Here's my rules to bowing:

1. Never bow.

2. If the person who bows to you is a dick saber him/her while he/she bows.

3. When in doubt saber anyway.

4. If you like the person give them a taunt, never bow, ever.

5. See rule #1.

LOL :D

The perfect advice, ever. Seriously, the most effort I'll put in is a quick flick of the mouse WHILE having my saber on, NEVER De-Ignite your saber - You're just asking for it then.

;)

SeraphimII
06-29-2002, 01:33 PM
I bow, no questions. Its sets a friendlier tone for the server, and give n00bs a chance to ask questions. I also chat durring duel w/ buddies(to taunt them and tell them how badly their playing while I get killed), not with perfect stangers. Altho I am generally very quiet durring duels, I notice that nf servers are generally more talkitive then force servers, anyone? Hell, I've had a guy strike up a conversation about how AOL and microsoft are the roots of all evil in the middle of a duel.

Fighting time is now.

Talking time is l8r. :p

Also keep in mind I play on 5 person servers, so people usually arnt waiting more then 9 mins for a duel, tops.

Kurgan
06-29-2002, 02:26 PM
I think my feelings are summed up in the mythical teachings of the ASC (Anti-Saberist Code). If I'm feeling in the mood to "role play" (and that's a big "maybe") then I might play along, otherwise, the guy isn't safe while he's bowing or typing, and he shouldn't expect to be and that's all there is to it!

I say talk when you're dead, or if you get killed while typing, suck it up and move on. That's what I do when it happens to me.

I won't be mean on purpose, but some guys you know... they get too caught up in it, instead of just playing to enjoy themselves.

FalloutGod
06-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Bowing is Called "Common Curtisy", Its Like Saying Good Luck. If The Other Person Does It, It's Just Nice To Do It Back. Doesnt Mean To Go Around And Bow To Every Person On The Map Constantly...

magis70
06-29-2002, 04:09 PM
Vader said it best,you are unwise to lower your defenses!

If your saber is down,yer asking for it,bowing or not,did you ever even see the good guys bow?no,their not that foolish,a sith doesent care if you bow,hes there to kill you.

BlackDove
06-29-2002, 04:33 PM
And you are unwise to go in a straight angle towards me trying to attack. Most of the time, you will just suck up the DFA I make from the crouching position.

And then most go "LAMER, DFA WHORE"!!!!!!!!!!!

Luc Solar
06-29-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by magis70
Vader said it best,you are unwise to lower your defenses!

OhmygodifIseethatquoteonemoretime... :mad: :mad: :mad:

BlackDove
06-30-2002, 01:21 AM
"You are unwise to lower your defences"

Haemon
06-30-2002, 01:43 AM
I don't see anything wrong with bowing if I'm on a small (around 5 people) FFA server and somebody else is dueling and I say meet somewhere we usually bow or else swing our sabers. If the guy obviously has no idea what he is doing then I'm not going to bow cuz he is just going to charge.

I bow by crouching with my saber off but I've see other people do a straight bow. How? Is there a command like the taunt one?

*Darth Vega*
06-30-2002, 04:21 AM
You are unwise to lower your defenses!:p

I always expect to die when I'm typing something. That way I am never disappointed when I do die. If you get so agitated about dying then maybe you shouldnt be talking so much.

Master Xavier
06-30-2002, 04:30 AM
I only bow if playing on the Jedi Academy servers because everyone is so nice and helpfull there.

but people on public servers are ussually scum :mad:

Faye Ying
06-30-2002, 04:42 AM
its a freakin game people. its not like you're fighting in real life.

i bow, no questions asked. (duels only and when challenged/challenging)
when i bow, the opponent "usually" bows.
it gives the match more meaning

its really retarded to run in there and jsut saber everyone to death. no difference from quake and other pointless games. run in, point and shoot, point and shoot. damnit, if you like that, drop your saber and pick up a blaster.

like somoene earlier mentioned, it sets a friendlier tone. i usually end up getting their msn or icq and we just ttalk afterwards or soemthing. its all just for fun.

how do you bow? ppl do all sorts of things
some bow by just looking at their feet
some crouch
it doesnt' matter if your saber is igntied or not.
i ususally bow before i fire up my saber.

"its unwise to lower your defences"
how slow can you be to dodge if the guy comes hacking at you when you bow? jeez, you have 3 directions to go if he comes in screaming like a banshee. either roll back, or leap sideways. i sometimes just "yellow finisher" them when they're doing that.

*Darth Vega*
06-30-2002, 04:53 AM
did you ever stop to think that not bowing is how we like to play the game? perhaps bowing makes you feel more friendly and stuff but not bowing may make somebody feel more evil and whatnot. perhaps some of us dont like being light side, perhaps some of us want to be dark side. not bowing is one of the more tame ways we do it

Faye Ying
06-30-2002, 04:58 AM
who said anything about light or dark side?
i play both actually, depending on my mood.

its a duel, not a fragfest, but to each his own.

i do it becuase i'm me. me as a person, not "game-wise"
maybe just soemthing i learned from kendo.

*Darth Vega*
06-30-2002, 05:02 AM
everyone has their own way they play, unfortunatly sometimes styles of play conflict with one another. but the way I see it a player must play so that he or she has fun even if it means giving everyone else the cold shoulder

Kurgan
06-30-2002, 05:32 AM
You know what's funny, is that in all the time I played Rune and RuneHOV online, never once did I ever "bow" or have somebody "bow" to me or expect a bowing to occur during any sort of battle (duel or otherwise). Why is that?

If anything, the Vikings are thought of as being more obsessed with honor than the Jedi ever were, yet in the game, bowing isn't expected, but if we are to take these topics seriously, in JK2 it is....

That's why I don't get it. Who cares? Again, if I feel like role playing (we see the Jedi bow to Senators and other high-ranking Leaders in the prequel films, but that's just something everybody does in the Republic!) I will, but JK2 is an action game, I play it for action, not for something I could get (and get better) in an RPG.

If you just want to have a signal to say you're "ready to fight" in a duel, simply swinging your saber should be enough. Doing something semi-elaborate like bowing and then whining when you get killed is just silly...

*Darth Vega*
06-30-2002, 07:19 AM
I wish I could meet the person who came up with this bowing in jk2....then I could hit him in his face!:D

Lionen
06-30-2002, 07:39 AM
Of course, siths and jedi doesn bow to each other when they are fighting in movies. They are mortal enemies! But this is a game, and the duelers arent! Bowing shows that you are an honorable player (if you are not, then just go on and spam moves and BS and kill people with their guard down, and everyone will start to hate you, and maybe throw you out of the server). I ALWAYS bow to my foe in a duel.

Chatting can be fun sometimes. If you doesn talk, then what is the point of playing other people? Go and play against bots instead. However, in a duel, it is annoying if a duelist starts to talk instead of fight. But if you are quick, a few compliments or comments or curses might be fun sometimes. If you strike someone down that is using the console, that is the worst thing you can do. If i see someone doing that, i put all my efforts into killing him.

*Darth Vega*
06-30-2002, 07:42 AM
When I kill a person who is talking they get angry.

Anger leads to Hate!
Hate leads to The Dark Side!

I am doing my part as a Sith to bring more to the dark side! :vadar:

Agen
06-30-2002, 08:05 AM
I only bow if people bow first, what really beeps me off is when people bow then i bow and they throw at me. :mad:

technobot
06-30-2002, 08:33 AM
I try to bow, but since it's a game:

I don't get angry if I am chat/console killed. I love to see other people get totally freaked out when it happens to them though, because after all, it's just a game.

And complaining about getting killed while typing? That's just rich, one of the dudes said it earlier in the thread, but why are you talking so much in the middle of a duel? Maybe that's why you keep losing? :)

Artic Blade
06-30-2002, 11:27 AM
*slaps all of you who are whining 'bout bowing and what not*

its a game! if you get all upset over one loser who kills you while youre in the consloe then you should be locked up and not deemed worthy of human contact.

is it really fun to kill someone when they cant do anything about it? it seems kinda boring to me.

i might seem a little caloused to some of you (darkside, lightside, whats the difference?) it comes from playing games with little or no freindly atmosphere (ie rune, avp2)

besides, evil doesnt mean murderous fool who cares nothing for honor. (if it did, then we wouldn't have any decent books/movies/anything)
you can be evil and mean but you can still bow, or at least pay a little respect to other players. in reality, you are really no better than they are (not reffering to 'skillz' gained from burning your retinas in front of a screen all day)

thx for the time, hope you enjoy the thought.

Tetengo Noor
06-30-2002, 11:34 AM
I've always bowed. I'm not real sure why, I just take it as a sign of respect for the other person and a sort of "code of honor" type deal. I don't care if people do not bow though, no big deal to me.

Elegy
06-30-2002, 11:50 AM
I'm rather nuetral about the whole thing. As somebody said earlier, perhaps NOT bowing for some of us is our way of getting into character just as much as the guy who bows. I'm with you all on the textbox kills. That sucks. I'm with you on the sabers down. When you're trying to wait for a duel to end on an FFA that just plain blows to have some dude come up and slaughter you. I know alot of people say that the duelists in FFAs should just go to the duel servers. But I like the feel of dueling while having a whole crowd gathered around you. Feels more realistic than an empty room around the both of you. Besides, half the fun is running up in the crowd to challenge a guy before the others get their own duel started up. So yeah, I know where everyone is coming from when they bitch about these things. But aren't we taking it a bit far with the whole bowing thing?

I play as a Sith. Which means that I don't bow. If the other guy jumps right into the fight without bowing then great; let's get down to business. If he bows then fine, I'll taunt or give a short Boba Fett like nod as though to say "bring it on". But I laugh so hard when people get pissed at me for responding like that instead of getting down and bowing. My response is that a Sith never lowers himself down to the level of his opponnent.

Kurgan
06-30-2002, 09:50 PM
I guess what I'm trying to say, is there should be no reason why a person should be expected to "bow" before a fight in the game.

It's not necessary, and you can get the same level of "friendly community atmosphere" by saying "gg" or "gf" after it's over.

All bowing is, is roleplaying. Role playing in a game that's not a Role Playing game to begin with... and role playing in such a way that we never see the Jedi doing in the movies.

A lot of people conduct themselves poorly in games, they cheat, they cuss at their opponents (not just in fun, but angrily) and accuse them of cheating and whatnot when they lose. I think that those are the people we should ignore, the sore losers and braggarts. When I encounter a lot of people like that, it makes me appreciate the people who just shut up and play.

If people want to go out of their way to be "nice" that's fine, but I join JK2 servers to play an action game, that's how it works with me. I have no problem with people bowing, but I don't think they should expect or require me to do the same. But, when you run your own server, you can make up your own rules....

What makes bowing a problem is when people do it, and assume everyone else is going to do it, like it's a hard and fast rule or something, and then they complain when they get killed. That's a problem, see they created a situation for themselves where they got killed stupidly and then they won't let it go. That's all I object to. It's like typing in the middle of an intense firefight and then whining when you die. ; ) There's just a million ways it can go wrong or you'll meet somebody who has no idea what you're doing or why.

technobot
07-01-2002, 12:40 AM
I agree with Kurgan... while I respect your opinion, and can understand why you might be slightly offended if your opponent doesn't bow, there are much worse things, even in this videogame. Scripting, cheating, outright hacking, these are legitimate concerns. I'd hate to bring up the whole pull/backsweep issue in this thread, but the reason I don't find it annoying, and more importantly the reason I laugh when guys say "it's an exploit" is because it's a LEGITIMATE move already in the game, that everyone can use. And the fact that everyone can do it DOES NOT mean that any idiot can win a FFA. I know the best player doesn't always win a FFA, but come on guys, if the same dude continuously wins a board, maybe you should tip your hat to him instead of calling him names? Other thing, we've ALL been on servers with every newbie using that tactic, and we've been killed by it, but at least when I play, there's no way in hell that one of these same newbies every wins the board. He might kill me once or twice, but seriously, that it. Sorry for straying.

One more thing: even though I try to bow, if the other guy rushes me like a madman, I think that's cool too, it is a duel after all!

*Darth Vega*
07-01-2002, 01:00 AM
Last night I was playing a game and I bound "You are unwise to lower your defenses!" to a key and then when people would bow to me I would attack and sometimes get in a hit or two before they new what was going on and immediatly as they started fighting I would hit that key.
It's what I gonna do always now :D

Agen
07-01-2002, 03:28 AM
I totally agree with kurgan, i only bow to keep people happy ad shut them up, and if you decide to not bow to them and they make a kapuffle, just duck and turn aroudn and wiggle your ass at them.

NerfYoda
07-01-2002, 04:49 AM
I usually bow before any duel. If the guy chooses not to bow back it doesn't really hurt my feelings & if they want to rush me while I'm bowing I get the hell out of the way & counter attack. :)