PDA

View Full Version : WIP: 4-Lom using the C-3P0 model

ronbrothers
03-14-2002, 08:38 PM
This model and the accompanying skins are just completely awsome. Just thought you'd want to know that...

oddjob: A-Team
07-08-2002, 12:49 AM
http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom.jpg

The body is just a repaint/reskin of the 3P0 body that comes with the game. I modeled the head and have just started skinning it.

I figured it would be a quick little model(HA!) before I do another from scratch.

How about that Team Fortress-esque Jedi vs. Bounty Hunters idea... Any takers?

t3rr0r
07-08-2002, 12:52 AM
will the model work with humanoid animations? cause i know the default threepio and deathstar droid don't. looking good, btw. might wanna make the details less red/pink and more yellow/orange. also, he's a dark olive colour (i think). http://www.starwars.stopklatka.pl/images/4-lom-1.jpg

darthweaver
07-08-2002, 12:53 AM
looks good, can't wait to try out

inbredyokel
07-08-2002, 01:36 AM
Looks pretty damn nice. There really is no such thing as a "quick" skin or model. :)

sithlord-II
07-08-2002, 01:41 AM
it shouldn't be a problem for working with the humanoid skeleton, would have to crack open the c3po .glm file in milkshape, export it to a format readable in 3d studio (ie. 3ds or otherwise), then merge it with the skeleton and tags in 3d studio

sithlord-ii

t3rr0r
07-08-2002, 02:22 AM
oddjob, do you suppose you could convert the normal protocol droid (no 4-lom head) to mp, too? cause there are lots of skinning opportunities for this model. :)

Lime-Light
07-08-2002, 04:31 AM
The animations for the defualt protocol droid arent those used in mp, but he can just re-assign that model to the mp anims, just as you would with a brand new model. And the head looks too big to me.

Delmar
07-08-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
oddjob, do you suppose you could convert the normal protocol droid (no 4-lom head) to mp, too? cause there are lots of skinning opportunities for this model. :)

There's an idea.. I miss my force-wielding Cybot from DF2. :(

t3rr0r
07-08-2002, 04:38 AM
could make aotc threepio, or kay threepio. :D among others of course. :cool:

BradFu
07-08-2002, 04:52 AM
Cool stuff, Oddjob. As you can see in the ref pic t3rr0r posted, the head should be considerably narrower, maybe shorter (lengthwise) too. The height of the head looks good, but see if you can adjust the other dimensions.

t3rr0r
07-08-2002, 05:00 AM
here's a closer shot of 4-lom's head. http://hjem.get2net.dk/babyfett/4lom/4mask.gif

KMan
07-08-2002, 05:55 AM
I wanted to try my hand at getting a model into the game, so I think I will try on c3po. As for your 4lom model, the head seems to be too wide.

t3rr0r
07-08-2002, 06:08 AM
someone could try to get the galak_mech into the game. :o

aL BeasTie
07-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by kman@polycount
I wanted to try my hand at getting a model into the game, so I think I will try on c3po. As for your 4lom model, the head seems to be too wide.

I started on this Kman but gave up, the arms are going to be tricky because they were modelled with his arms in an L shape.

(you know how he looks a Thunderbird puppet in the game)

You can segment it but it doesn't join up that well later on because there's kind of a gap where his elbow was.

I'll send you anything I work out, but I haven't got the time to do it myself so carry on and perhaps you'll get him in game.

May I also suggest with your Skills you could play with some shaders and give his Skin a touch up so he appears shiny and gold, and do the same with the silver skin.

I know u can do it!

nucular_jedi_14
07-08-2002, 04:32 PM
huh?

JiPInSane
07-08-2002, 10:10 PM
WOO HOOOO!!!!! a 4-Lom model :D

Everything loosk awesome... just the head needs a little work but im sure it will turn out awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GJ!

07-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Well, seeing as how the poly count is already a bit high on the 3P0 model and Kman here want's to convert the original, I think I will leave that one alone. But whatever problems I run into with the body will be the same ones as him most likely. Should be interesting.

I have slimmed down the head and it does indeed look better.

I'll post another pic when I get some skinning done.

aL BeasTie
07-08-2002, 11:49 PM
Kewl Odd-Job is back and he's going to give us another very cool Classic Trilogy Character!

Oddjob, don't stray into that EU/prequel crap. Keep your models in the first 3 movies!

Perhaps with your expertise you'll model the body yourself, it may prove less time consuming than converting that bloody protocol droid - it's a bitch I've tried.

Or maybe wait or help Kman get the original protocol droid ingame and then use that version instead. Just a thought.

07-09-2002, 12:12 AM
I'm a 70's child, so of course it's all about the classic trilogy for me. :)

As for the conversion, I am pretty resoursefull, and I have looked at the model and I am pretty sure I can do it. (I say that now... heh). Like I said, this is just a quickie.

07-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Ok, here comes some more shots showing of my poor skinning abilities... Enjoy.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_head.jpg
http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_front_side.jpg

Kit Fisto
07-12-2002, 01:44 PM
Nice nice nice, very nice :)

If you dont feel confident with the skinning (it looks fine in my opinion) you should try handing the skinning job over to someone that is highly skilled in that area. That way the model will reach its full potential.

Kranckor
07-12-2002, 01:44 PM
looking Sweet :D

CheshireKat
07-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Looking good Oddjob!

Great work as usual.

t3rr0r
07-12-2002, 10:16 PM
it may be just me, but the head looks too long (front to back). http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_front_side.jpg

07-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Here's a few refrence pic's I used, so you can see how long his head looks. Also take a look at the video.

http://www.starwarssource.net/Characters/4-Lom/Images/4-LOM_001.JPG

http://people.a2000.nl/tvdbrink/images/4lom/4lom2.gif

http://zuul.gotdns.com/swunknown/Characters/Ep5/images/4LOM.jpg

Thanks though. :max:

t3rr0r
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
ok, then... it must be the height of the "nose" or something... something is off (don't take this the wrong way, though ;)). could you take an angled shot?

Delmar
07-13-2002, 12:04 AM
it may be just me, but the head looks too long (front to back). http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_front_side.jpg

I just never released he had such a large melon. Makes me think of that movie "So I Married an Axe Murderer" where the grandfather keeps making fun of his son for having such a large head. :p

Did the figure(s) have consistent proportions with the 4-LOM from the movies?

t3rr0r
07-13-2002, 12:50 AM
here's some scans of the action figure for more reference.

http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/4-lom-front.txt
http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/4-lom-back.txt
http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/4-lom-side.txt

07-13-2002, 11:09 AM
Don't worry, not taking it the wrong way. I just didn't have much in the way of reference pic's to work from. And I couldn't find my kid's action figure. I could have dug out my old original Kenner figure but it's hid away in my boxed up original collection. :)

I was expecting some discrepincy anyway with the lack of good pics. Call my model EVOCATIVE of 4-Lom, I guess. I noticed a couple of things with your pics though, so thanks. One is that the eye goes too far back. But at this point I am a bit comitted to this design so that is going to stay I am afraid. But the other is that I am missing that circular port on the back of his head, so I will get on adding that to the skin.

Kururin
07-13-2002, 11:13 AM
Oddjob your doing a great job with it.

GabrielXen
07-13-2002, 02:53 PM
Well, nice to see someone else is working on a 3PO model... hope you have better luck than me...! lol I guess I should've learned how to do these models before I tried... I'll definantly look for this one...

-Gabriel-

:c3po:

SithBrakiss
07-13-2002, 06:33 PM
hmm...after this i wouldnt mind him making a Guyver model.....would look Tight as hell comin from him.

aL BeasTie
07-14-2002, 10:46 PM
Hey since this is a "quick" model why not do 4-Lom's buddy Zuckuss next?

just a thought, looking good so far.

MaulerZ
07-17-2002, 01:38 AM
Looks pretty good deserves a dl.

trowa500
07-17-2002, 08:03 AM
it needs more chests look at pic of it from the movie

07-18-2002, 12:56 PM
Well, apparently importing a model is just as frustrating and annoying the 2nd time around too. :p You would think I would have learned enough from my first foray into JKII modeling.

Ah well, it's comming along, but there are some just plain intrinsic problems with making a droid with lots of hard, unbending parts animate on an organic, human skeleton. Some things will just look funky. But you will have it in game anyway.

VampireHunterD
07-18-2002, 01:09 PM
Finally, something cool from Oddjob: A team.

Nice job on this model. Keep at it. ;)

07-18-2002, 09:49 PM
I guess you totaly missed this eh?

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=320
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/info/jk2/boushh_leia/boushh_leia.shtml

Oh, and I did everything on this model. Modeling, skin meshing, skinning, importing. All of it.

Not to mention the mod I was lead designer and lead modeler/animator of:

http://ahl.action-web.net

Yup, I won't ammount to anything.

VampireHunterD
07-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Am I supposed to be impressed by this?

I said you actually had an idea going. So, accept the compliment
and keep at it. That's all I said. There's no need in you holding a grudge with me now you know. Get over it and shut up.

Commodus
07-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by oddjob: A-Team
Not to mention the mod I was lead designer and lead modeler/animator of:

http://ahl.action-web.net

Yup, I won't ammount to anything.

Wow, I'm impressed - AHL was a pretty cool mod...

The skin looks pretty professional, keep up the good work.... BTW, who/what is 4-Lom?

trowa500
07-19-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Commodus

Wow, I'm impressed - AHL was a pretty cool mod...

The skin looks pretty professional, keep up the good work.... BTW, who/what is 4-Lom?
U should be ashamed of urself. He is one of the bounty hunters from epv that vader hired to get the falcon

quamosity
07-19-2002, 02:50 AM
One would expect and assume that in a community such as this one here for Jedi Knight 2, which draws Star Wars fans from other gaming communities, that there would be a mutual respect for talent.

Oddjob has talent, Mr. VampirehunterD. And he puts his money where his mouth is, which is more than I can see with you. I have worked with Oddjob in the past, and can vouch for the quality of his work. Your comments Vampire, are disrespectful to Oddjob's talent as well as just ignorant and arrogant in general.

It would be nice if you just kept your lovely thoughts to yourself.

quamosity
Skinner, ActionHalfLife

GabrielXen
07-19-2002, 11:21 AM
"Can't we all just get along...?"

:duel:

07-19-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by VampireHunterD
Am I supposed to be impressed by this?

I said you actually had an idea going. So, accept the compliment
and keep at it. That's all I said. There's no need in you holding a grudge with me now you know. Get over it and shut up.

No, you are not supposed to be impressed by it. You are just shut it with you comments like 'Finally something good from Oddjob' and 'You are pathetic. You will probably never mount up to anything.' (BTW, the phrase is AMMOUNT to anything) and 'I haven't seen anything you've contributed to this community.' and just generally get the hell out of my posts. You are not welcome in my posts, you hypocrite.

And I don't need compliments from people like you so you can just take your compliment and shove it. You were extremely rude to me in my post about the mod idea to shocase models made here and then you were rude in your so called "appology" to me. Then you go and chastise Cheshire for the EXACT same thing you did to me making you a hypocrite. So if you would kindly not post in my posts I will completley ignore YOURS.

07-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Oh, and thanks quamosity. :)

inbredyokel
07-19-2002, 12:29 PM
Anyway..as far as this model is coming along, it makes me increasingly pissed that lucasarts had to go and can "The Hunted" bountyhunting mod. Maybe someone could toss one together that won't be so much like the game that's being made, like a simple "capture the jedi" where a bunch of bountyhunters compete with each other to take down a lone player.

07-19-2002, 01:03 PM
http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/JedivsBountyhunter.doc

Give this a read. It would be fairly simple to make. Only coding really.

kaibigan
07-19-2002, 01:08 PM
4-Lom is a bounty hunter Droid. He is the partner of Zuckass.

Kaito Fett

quamosity
07-19-2002, 01:16 PM
/me tips hat

Anytime, oddjob. I can't stand that kind of crap

Can't wait for 4LOM :)

kaibigan
07-19-2002, 01:17 PM
Oh and Oddjob what has been happening since you guys shut down AUT? Some talk of some retail game but that was the end of it. Did you guys give up on it?

Kaito Fett

PS Still have Magnum Philosophy in my mp3 playlist

07-19-2002, 03:08 PM
We are still working on what it became, although slowly at the moment as we are in the middle of passing the torch from one coder to another. And you know how coders are, they like to start from scratch and do it all themselves. :p

07-19-2002, 04:17 PM
http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/4lom_ingame.jpg

As you can see I have some textures assigned to the wrong parts(upper thighs) and the caps aren't showing up for some reason(I am using the same that the protocol droid uses, a broken switch texture, to no avail so far.) And a texture for part of the model that links the shoulder to the torso doesn't show up as well, but I think that just because I didn't skin mesh it. I also added the heads to the 3po and Imp droids as well. Somebody making a battle droid should send me their head to attach it too. :)

As far as the rigging goes, there is some funky stuff going on that won't look quite right because I linked whole pieces to one bone to get that solid 'armor' type feel that a protocol droid should have. Which, as funky as that might look, it will be better than the alternative. So sometimes the shoulder will clip into the torso as you can see from some of the pic's and sometimes it will be twisted at a really unnatural angle. Just remember that the droids aren't human.

Kit Fisto
07-19-2002, 04:22 PM
Its looking gread oddjob. Keep it up.

t3rr0r
07-19-2002, 08:02 PM
/me stills thinks the head shoulda been adjusted
don't get me wrong, though. :sweat: props to you. :) you should make a tut on porting sp models to mp sometime. :D

CheshireKat
07-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Looking good Oddjob! The only things I see with the head really is matching the skin to the body, but if you want to adjust the head, just add an Edit Mesh modifier when your weighting is finished and move whatever verts you want around and re-export it on your final. Doing more that vert movement could result in throwing the UV's off.

Great Work!

07-20-2002, 02:43 AM
What do you mean match the skin to the body? I am not sure I understand. Oh, and thanks.

fat_101
07-20-2002, 02:55 AM
well looks good to me ..... nuff said :D

nomad
07-20-2002, 03:25 AM
Oddjob, I am extremely thankful for your contributions to this community!

Not only have you produced quality material, but from what I've seen, you've been a very respectful, informative, and intelligent member of this community and I was shocked to see the rude remarks that were thrown your way. There is no need to dwell on any of that, as it is completely meaningless. I do hope that it remains water under the bridge, and no more is to come of it.
I am very happy that along with your talents, that you are obviously a Classic Star Wars Fan :)

Keep up the good work!
And I thank you once again.

-nomad

MTFBWY

07-20-2002, 03:42 AM
:) Thanks.

Oh, and here's another pic, this time of the Imperial protocol droid and C3po. Enjoy!

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/c3po.jpg

CheshireKat
07-20-2002, 03:56 AM
Hehe, Cool!

Anyways, what I meant was that the skin on the head compared to the body seems off, but now Im thinking that Im thinking of the action figure too much compared to how he should look. :o

Anyways, Keep at It!

adillon
07-20-2002, 03:58 AM
sweet pic, oddjob! c3p0 with a lightsaber? whodathunk we'd ever see THAT?! :c3po:

4-lom's looking great. i never knew he had the body of a protocol droid. you learn something new EVERY day.

keep up the great work! btw, your boussh/leia model ROCKS!

Delmar
07-20-2002, 04:17 AM
wow, oddjob. your 4-lom is looking great and i'm also excited to see the "cybot" running around in mp! will you be releasing the mod that brings them into mp as well as your 4-lom model?

t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Delmar
wow, oddjob. your 4-lom is looking great and i'm also excited to see the "cybot" running around in mp! will you be releasing the mod that brings them into mp as well as your 4-lom model?
I also added the heads to the 3po and Imp droids as well. Somebody making a battle droid should send me their head to attach it too.
(concerning the plain threepio) i just did some quick recolourings of the base threepio skin. team colours and grey/silver. tell me if you're interested in them. it'd be just one less task to worry about. :)

07-20-2002, 05:31 AM
Chesire: I see. Well, in all the reference pic's and with the action figures as well, the color of the body and the color of the head is pretty disparate. It's like they just stuck that head on an unused protocol droid body and shoved him out there for that scene when they filmed it. :)

Now, if I could just get the caps to render I could release a preliminary version...

Also I added custom sounds(of course) for everybody. 4-Lom is just a bunch of JKII sounds thrown together. Like metal crashes and droids exploding, etc. I will leave his taunt as a suprise to see who can figure out where in JKII I got it.

And C3PO's are a bunch of clips from the movies. If ANYBODY could get me the sound clip of him yelling 'Die Jedi' or whatever the line was from EpII, I would be very appreciative.

I still need to find some good sounds for the Imperial droid though.

07-20-2002, 05:33 AM
Hell yeah! I was just going to not do the silver/EpII c3po and let the community of skinners add them later so that's nice and the team colors are really nice favor. Thanks. Perhaps you could upload them somewhere?

t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 05:36 AM
Hell yeah! I was just going to not do the silver/EpII c3po and let the community of skinners add them later so that's nice and the team colors are really nice favor. Thanks. Perhaps you could upload them somewhere?
i could .zip them up and e-mail them to you. cause my space is only a wee tripod site. :( i didn't get any icons done, but i have the textures and .skin files.

edit: i'll pm you the links so noone else gets a hold of them.

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 06:07 AM
WOW! :c3po: :p

Great job getting 3PO in-game w/out his arms deforming! 4-Lom looks incredible too. Man, after the WIP models are released, there aren't going to be any main StarWars characters left to model (unless you want to make new ones of existing ones).

Keep up the great work!

Sounds Risky
07-20-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by MUHAHAHAHAHA
Man, after the WIP models are released, there aren't going to be any main StarWars characters left to model (unless you want to make new ones of existing ones).

Has everyone forgotten Han?!

remark 666
07-20-2002, 06:44 AM
really cool, can't wait for both of them to be released ^_^

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 06:59 AM
I thought there was a Han Solo model in progress.... Maybe I'm mistaken. If not, it would be a great model to make. If I had more experience w/ 3DSMax, I'd tackle it, but I'm not to the point where I could make something humanoid yet. Maybe one of our modeling gurus will make Han. :-D

nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 06:59 AM
*grabs nearest protocol droid and starts dancin* lol:c3po:

07-20-2002, 07:42 AM

i could .zip them up and e-mail them to you. cause my space is only a wee tripod site. :( i didn't get any icons done, but i have the textures and .skin files.

edit: i'll pm you the links so noone else gets a hold of them.

Don't worry about the icons. I can do them.

Just email them to me at oddjob@ateamproductions.com

t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 07:59 AM
the links are in the pm i sent you.

on another note, i wonder if someone could make a shiney grey one, too (with a shader)... or rather it'd be silver then. maybe a shader could be put on the default 3po to make true c-3po. so many possibilities... :)

adillon
07-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Matt Shoemaker

Has everyone forgotten Han?!

i was thinking the same thing today. people talk about jacen and jaina solo, but they forget about THE MAN of whose loins they are the fruit of, or something like that ...

... sorry to stray from the topic at hand. :rolleyes:

trowa500
07-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Han has been made 3 times

Sounds Risky
07-20-2002, 10:25 AM
Could you provide a clickie to the model then?

4-LOM is looking quite nice by the way.

07-20-2002, 11:15 AM
Well, I was thinking I would make Han in Hoth gear next actually. Perhaps Zuckuss, but I am leaning towards Han in Hoth gear. Plus, I have a Harrison Ford head already made that is a fair likeness unskinned.

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 12:54 PM
Han SKINS have been made, but no specific models that looked like him. I guess someone could modify the Lando model and put a Harrison Ford head on him, and slightly change the clothes.

nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 09:56 PM
lol

nucular_jedi_14
07-20-2002, 09:58 PM
lol!:c3po:

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-20-2002, 10:09 PM
And C3PO's are a bunch of clips from the movies. If ANYBODY could get me the sound clip of him yelling 'Die Jedi' or whatever the line was from EpII, I would be very appreciative.

Click here (http://purduerob614.undonet.com/diejedi.mp3) for that sound clip. It needs to be cleaned up by somebody who knows sound editing better than me, but it's a start.

BTW if anyone wants Yoda saying, "how embarassing, how embarassing..." I have that here (http://purduerob614.undonet.com/howembarassing.mp3)

If these aren't in the right format for JKII, let me know. I used cool edit, and wasn't sure how to change the settings the right way, so it might be wrong. Let me know and I'll fix it if necessary.

t3rr0r
07-20-2002, 11:34 PM
check your pms, oddjob, for the updated face textures.

here's a little preview of my n00b skins. ;) http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/red-threepio.txt

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-21-2002, 04:26 AM
Nice red team skin, 3PO looks very menacing, lol. That along w/ the "DIE JEDI" taunt, and I can see people running away from him in fear :c3po: .

Keep up the good work guys.

inbredyokel
07-21-2002, 04:45 AM
This was mentioned before, but someone really does need to tackle the shaders on the c-3po models. I would try, but by the time I'd figure it out and have them ready you'd have released several weeks earlier. He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.

t3rr0r
07-21-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
This was mentioned before, but someone really does need to tackle the shaders on the c-3po models. I would try, but by the time I'd figure it out and have them ready you'd have released several weeks earlier. He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.
some of them, though, like aotc c-3po or k-3po, should have their flat finishes.

btw, i was inspired to do the red protocol droid after looking at the picture of tc-3 in the phantom menace scrapbook.

inbredyokel
07-21-2002, 06:58 AM
Yes, naturally. But the game's c-3po skin just looks very fake, especially in the way they attempted to paint-on light reflecting from the surface. It doesn't even look gold, it's more of a nasty mustard-yellow. The Aotc threepio could use a slight sheen though. Take a look at the finish on the Energy Trooper skin and you'll see what I mean.

t3rr0r
07-21-2002, 11:13 AM
did you grab the updated textures yet, oddjob?

07-21-2002, 11:17 AM
Yeah, thanks. I fixed some of the texture problems I was having and it's looking like I might have a preliminary version out later today... Stay tuned.

07-22-2002, 12:02 PM
Ok, here's a beta of the models. I hopefully Tripod will hold out long enough for some of you to pick this up and give me some feedback.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/glm_4lom.zip

There are no icons made yet. Just placeholders. Other than that the sounds and textures are set. There are, of course, no LOD yet. And I know there are some problems with the model clipping and they will remain as I stated above.

Oh, and many thanks to t3rr0r for the red, blue and silver skins for c3po(I think the version uploaded doesn't have your updated faces t3rr0r, but I have them and they will make it into the final release.)

Enjoy.

EDIT: Fixed the link!

Delmar
07-22-2002, 12:04 PM
w00t! thank you sir! will be enjoying giving these fellas a test run..

Lucko Mabri
07-22-2002, 12:13 PM
d/ling now :D

t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 12:20 PM
drat... just missed them. :rolleyes:
/me waits for tripod :sweat:

Lucko Mabri
07-22-2002, 12:44 PM
The zip file is buggered :(

-Lucko Mabri

07-22-2002, 04:57 PM
I figured tripod would be sketchy at best. Ah well, I will try to upload it to my personal site. I will just have to chop some stuff out of the beta pk3 that will be in the final to do it. Gimmie a few hours and I will have it up on a more reliable site.

adillon
07-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
He just seems so fake and spray-painted looking without a chrome finish.

amen, brudda! c3p0 needs to have a shader, more specifically an environment map, placed on his skin to make him look shiny and reflect his surroundings. remember the mandalorian/fett models from way back when? how about the newest version of vader? how do you think they got them to look so shiny?

according to sithlord-ii, there are 2 things you can do. "borrow" the shader script from the stormtrooper model which gives you said environment map, OR download q3ase (Quake 3 Arena Shader Editor) which is software allowing you to apply shaders to the skin. yeah, i know, it's called quake 3 ... what engine do you think jkII uses? you can download it at this location (http://dl.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?polycount/tools/quake3/q3ase.zip) with a tutorial located here (http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/resources/quake3/Shader_Doc/Q3Ashader_manual.htm).

hope it helps! i know i need to see the protocal droids in all their shiny glory!! :D

t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 05:31 PM
i found the shader code for c3po... not exactly sure what it does. :sweat:

models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg_s
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_face
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
detail
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_leg2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_leg
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_leg_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_hand2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_hand
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_hand_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_face2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_face
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
detail
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_face_s
detail
}
}

models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso2
{
qer_editorimage models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso
surfaceparm metalsteps
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso2
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/protocol/c3po_arm_torso_s
detail
}
}

07-22-2002, 05:33 PM
He has basically the same shiny shader as the stormtrooper model already, just FYI. I'll see if there is anything I can do to enhance it at all but I am pretty sure already. And once it's out people can always make skins.

t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 05:38 PM
He has basically the same shiny shader as the stormtrooper model already, just FYI. I'll see if there is anything I can do to enhance it at all but I am pretty sure already. And once it's out people can always make skins.
that should be fine. there's no way we'd get the sheen he really has. and if there was, it would probably kill fps.

07-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Ok, here is an updated version. I took out the sounds for the protocol(silver) version and it fit on my site. So enjoy and send me that feedback.

t3rr0r
07-22-2002, 08:55 PM
they all turned out great. :D seems to play really well. what sounds will the protocol utilize?
/me hopes it's what the cloud city protocol says to threepio

quamosity
07-22-2002, 09:32 PM
hey oddjob, theres something strange with this model. I dropped the pk3 into my base folder, and then when I went to play ffa_bespin, it removed the sky from the map. Turned it into a checkerboard deal thing. I don't know if its doing it for anyone else, but I got it.

I can post screenshots if you'd like.

I havent tried other levels yet, but I wanted to make sure if 4lom was causing the problem or not. And it seems like he is.

:(

Cookz
07-22-2002, 09:58 PM
i have that same problem too. I think theres something wrong with one of the shader files.

MaxiNeo
07-22-2002, 10:34 PM
Same problem here :(

07-23-2002, 01:07 AM
Well, that's certainly likely as that's about as close to writing code or scripting as I would ever want to get. :p But it doesn't do it on my comp. And I test on bespin too. Hrm...

Perhaps try deleting some shader files and see which one fixes it? I would greatly appreciate any help I could get.

07-23-2002, 01:08 AM
Actually, come to think of it, it's probably some pak file you have but I, and apparently t3rr0r don't have. But you put both of them together and POW, bugs. Perhaps post a list of the added pk3 files you have? Dunno.

quamosity
07-23-2002, 02:04 AM
I have so many files, a lot of them now neatly compiled into one giant pk3, that i would know where to start :(

quamosity
07-23-2002, 02:13 AM
apparently, the problem arises from a map.

I removed my huge map pk3, and the problem was fixed.
Now its only a matter of finding out WHICH map gives the problem

Oddjob, do you have any extra maps you have downloaded? Same for the others, if the problem is with a map, perhaps we can locate what maps we all have

/me goes searching

-quamosity

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-23-2002, 02:18 AM
Oddjob, great job on the model, just one thing... For some reason, there are a lot of .wavs in there mixed in w/ the mp3s. Since the paths are different, couldn't you just make them all mp3s? It probably doesn't matter but it would make your download smaller :). Let me know if you need someone to convert them.

quamosity
07-23-2002, 02:38 AM
i checked assets0.pk3 with my huge maps.pk3 and found that there was a repeating skies.shader. I deleted it from my maps.pk3, and that fixed it, but i couldnt figure out what map i downloaded had the shader in it. Anyone who has the problem, check to see in your downloaded map pk3s for the files skies.shader. Hopefully something will turn up

Barco
07-23-2002, 03:34 AM
Well actually all you have to do is to copy the txt of three of shader files (one at the time) and paste them into one shader file and voila the problem is fixed.

Note: this may not work if you run a mod like jedimod.

GabrielXen
07-23-2002, 10:00 AM
You really should write a tut on putting SP characters into MP.... I've been trying to get Threepio in-game for a month, and have been stuck on the last stage for half of that... lol I had the model made up and everything... Hell, I even made new threepio skins for the Jedi and Kyle models... lol Great job, man...!

-Gabriel-

:c3po:

07-23-2002, 10:53 AM
There really isn't much different from modeling one from scratch and importing one from the game actually. Spacermonkey's tutorial would do the job just fine. The only thing I could really add is how to export to a Max format from the original glm file using Milkshape.

MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 05:07 PM
Come to think of it. I Had the problem when I loaded Jedimod... The saber and consol and other textures and color were all screwed up. Think anyone can fix this?

MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 07:04 PM
:wstupid:
I figured out how to Make this work with Jedimod!:nut: All you have to do is delete the 4lom_head shader in the 4lom shader file and it works fine with jedimod! Hey Oddjob, You did a great Job on this. Hope to see more work from you soon... Hope Everyone Else enjoys this also.

:evil5: Peace! :cheers:

Sounds Risky
07-23-2002, 07:40 PM
oddjob, do you think you could put the silver protocol and imperial protocol in another directory? It screws up the single player versions.

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Actually, the problem was a missing } at the end of the shader file:

4lom.shader should be :

models/players/4lom/head_off
{
cull disable
{
map models/players/4lom/head_off.TGA
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
depthWrite
alphaFunc GE128
}
}

models/players/4lom/4lom_head
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head_s
detail
}

MaxiNeo
07-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Hey thanks.... Now I just feel stupid :p LOL... I really need to learn modeling and coding :joy:

07-24-2002, 02:11 AM
Wow, thanks for both of those suggestions/bug fixes! This is exactly why I like to give the few that bother to look at my thread a crack at my model while I am working on the LOD.

I will change both models to their own directory. I didn't even think about what it would do to the single player versions. But as far as the protocol droid goes, I was using some of the sounds in the assets pak so I wouldn't have to include them. Oh well. :)

Also thanks for finding that missing bracket. I will give that a try asap.

Thanks again.

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-24-2002, 06:02 AM
Hehe no problema. Gotta love Vi Editor's bracket matching (% key). Just one short criticism that I noticed after fixing that error. When 3PO falls into a pit, he uses a human scream. I think something like "We're doomed!" would be more appropriate, but that's just my opinion. I love custom sounds :-D. Let me know if you need help finding sounds, as I can get them from the movies if necessary.

Again, great job getting him in game. I had a nice FFA between C3PO, a huge Chewbacca, and a tiny Kyle. It was classic.

07-24-2002, 11:09 AM
Fixed that. I had his, and the rest of the models' falling sounds named wrong. It should be falling1 and I had them just called falling. Both the c3po's and the protocol droid's(now called TC-14 from Episode 1) sounds are meant for comic effect. So the sounds they make aren't always... appropriate for the situation if they were flesh and blood. :)

nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MaxiNeo
:wstupid:
I figured out how to Make this work with Jedimod!:nut: All you have to do is delete the 4lom_head shader in the 4lom shader file and it works fine with jedimod! Hey Oddjob, You did a great Job on this. Hope to see more work from you soon... Hope Everyone Else enjoys this also.

:evil5: Peace! :cheers:

Ok how in the hell do i do that?

MaxiNeo
07-24-2002, 11:38 AM
:nutz3: The Correct Way to do it would just be extract the pk3, go into shaders and open the 4lom shader with notepad and replace averything in there with

models/players/4lom/head_off
{
cull disable
{
map models/players/4lom/head_off.TGA
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
depthWrite
alphaFunc GE128
}
}

models/players/4lom/4lom_head
{
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_onlyvertexlighting
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map gfx/effects/chr_inv
tcGen environment
}
{
map models/players/4lom/4lom_head_s
detail
}

(thanks to MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA for this)

and the put it all back into the pk3.
If thats to hard then just extract the shader to glm_4lom/shaders/4lom.shader (somthing like that) and edit it like i said above with notepad and save it, then in the glm_flom directory where the shader folder is, put the pk3 file, right click the shaders directory, click add to zip file, then add to glm_4lom.pk3... :sweating: whew :tng1:

:thmbup1: then finally put the pk3 file back in your base folder.... or if you would like just open the pk3 file (with win rar), go into the shaders folder and go into the 4lom shader file and delete the 4lom_head shader.... Ok did you get all that :smash:

(your probably looking at this post like :eyeraise: )
:fire3: :clap2: :fire2:

nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:41 AM
can u do it then post the zip on the forums

MaxiNeo
07-24-2002, 11:41 AM
I would if I had somewhere to upload it to :rolleyes:

nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:43 AM
or somethin

07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
How aobut this, I will upload my latest version and you can download that. It fixes that shader problem and a couple of other problems and converts all the wav's to mp3's.

In case you missed the link before, here it is again:

Oh, and if you are using the Jedimod size thing, all the droids should be the same size as Princess Leia. Nice and short.

t3rr0r
07-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Fixed that. I had his, and the rest of the models' falling sounds named wrong. It should be falling1 and I had them just called falling. Both the c3po's and the protocol droid's(now called TC-14 from Episode 1) sounds are meant for comic effect. So the sounds they make aren't always... appropriate for the situation if they were flesh and blood. :)
we need e-3po with a taunt that says "e chu ta." also, that zip doesn't seem to work.

nucular_jedi_14
07-24-2002, 11:58 AM
thanks

07-24-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, there is a modified 'e chu ta' in there for the imperial droid. But unfortunately you can't use just a taunt, which sucks. And every version of it I have found out there has been of horrible sound quality. On top of that it doesn't match any of the other sounds that I am using, which is why I modified it to sound deeper. Belive me, that was my first thought but unless I get a copy of good enough sound quality that fits with the rest of the sounds, I probably won't put it in there.

Oh, and try downloading the file again. It works fine for me.

Delmar
07-24-2002, 03:13 PM
e chu ta

HOW RUDE!

MUHAHAHAHAHA
07-24-2002, 04:08 PM
Great job on the sounds, they're great. Thanks for updating the shader fix too, it was a pain trying to explain to my non-technical friends how to edit stuff in the pk3...

Just one thing (feel free to bash me over the head, flame me, deactivate my circuits, etc. for this), but it seems that all your JPGs and TGAs for the skin textures are really HUGE in filesize, (some are over 1MB even) when they really don't need to be that high-res. It really bumps the file size up there, and while that's not an issue for me, as I have enough disk space and broadband, it will make it so that 56K people think twice about downloading it. If you use a lesser resolution or use clever compression levels (I've heard rumors that both Brad-Fu and Kman are experts at this), you can really cut the file size down to something that even the 56K'ers will download.

Again, great job, and MTFBWY.

Messy_Dwarf
07-25-2002, 09:55 PM
When I want to play guns, I play Action Half-life.

My only suggestion to you, noble Sir Oddjob is that you release this pack under the name of C3P0, as he is the biggest name character included. When someone does a search for 4lom, they will find this and other skins, but find nothing searching for Threepio, a bigger name than a bounty hunter-a main character for pete's sake.

Anyways, thanks for all the excellent work. Bring the handcannon over to jedi outcast. If anyone should do it...

trowa500
07-25-2002, 11:31 PM
these guys are the best models ive ever used! 3po is hilarious!

________Projects_______
GP02A saber hilt 50%

trowa500
07-26-2002, 12:27 AM
even though u didnt make the model u still put in the sounds which are the best part of 3po :)

07-26-2002, 01:19 AM
Well, the 4lom stuff is the only one really made by me. The rest are pretty much recolors or files from the assets pak. I will look into reducing the file size if I can though, thanks for the tip. I am glad you like the sounds. They make me chuckle as well. :)

Oh, and thanks to whoever gave me my thread back!

07-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Well, I have one LOD done and I am half-way through the next. It takes me about 4 hours to complete one LOD. And that's heavily distracted by my kids and such. I could be done in a couple of days and have it ready for final testing before release by Sunday. So stay tuned.

07-26-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Messy_Dwarf
When I want to play guns, I play Action Half-life.

My only suggestion to you, noble Sir Oddjob is that you release this pack under the name of C3P0, as he is the biggest name character included. When someone does a search for 4lom, they will find this and other skins, but find nothing searching for Threepio, a bigger name than a bounty hunter-a main character for pete's sake.

Anyways, thanks for all the excellent work. Bring the handcannon over to jedi outcast. If anyone should do it...

Heh, perhaps. Or perhaps I will just give permission to a worthy modeler.

Thanks for idea. I will probably call the zip/pack c3po_4lom. They both deserve billing. But you are right, C-3P0 Deservers top billing.

Arán
07-26-2002, 06:22 AM
CCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL MMMMMMMOOOOOODDDDDDEEEEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lsduel:

07-28-2002, 04:01 AM
One more LOD down, one to go. I should be able to post a finished glm to test by late tomorrow. And then finalize the pack and release it perhaps Mon. or Tue.

trowa500
07-28-2002, 10:59 AM
WOW YODA AND 4LOM within a week this is the best week for jkii since it came out :cool: :):)

07-29-2002, 01:05 AM
Ok, here is what might be the final pak. Give it a try and see if there are any problems. If I don't hear of any then I will probably release it to the model site tomorrow night.

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/c3po_4lom.zip

Oh and for those of you unfamiliar with the project, here's the screenshot that is going in with the release:

http://home.attbi.com/~oddjob1138/img/c3po_4lom.jpg

Kinja
07-29-2002, 02:42 AM
Holy crap I just saw this model for the first time and it kix major booty!

adillon
07-29-2002, 08:41 AM
Ok, here is what might be the final pak. Give it a try and see if there are any problems.

oddjob,

i downloaded the droids and kicked some @$$ for the past hour. i'm VERY impressed with the quality of the work you have put out, not only with this set of models, but also with the boushh/leia pack. i couldn't really find any flaws with anything (sounds, clipping, etc) except for the fact that threepio was the hands-down, booty-smacking, king of the ring in the duels i had going on ... but that's just MY problem, not yours. lol

thanks for all your hard work and effort you've put into adding on to the jkII community.

07-29-2002, 11:49 AM
Oh, I almost forgot! Hey t3rr0r, what name/email should I put in the readme for the CTF skins you made? I left out the grey skin for now because the pak was pretty big already, but I need to update the readme with your info. Once I get that done I can officially release it.

t3rr0r
07-29-2002, 12:12 PM
Oh, I almost forgot! Hey t3rr0r, what name/email should I put in the readme for the CTF skins you made? I left out the grey skin for now because the pak was pretty big already, but I need to update the readme with your info. Once I get that done I can officially release it.
you can put "jordan koski (t3rr0r)" for my name.

btw, i read at one of your sith rodian download locations that you couldn't turn off the vest. i dunno if you figured it out youreself yet, but all you should need to do is...

surfOff "hips_belt torso_vest"
surfOn "torso_augment_off"

07-29-2002, 02:49 PM
That wasn't me with the sith Rodian. Just FYI.

Delmar
07-29-2002, 02:52 PM
oddjob, if you send it to me at del@reid.cx when it's complete, i'll place it on my site immediately. that way you won't have to worry about jk2.net waiting a week before posting it.

t3rr0r
07-29-2002, 04:00 PM
That wasn't me with the sith Rodian. Just FYI.
doh, i got all confused when i saw a 4lom file and the names were the same. :o
/me feels silly :sweat:

07-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Well, I sent it out to a bunch of sites yesterday. I guess it will take a while to get out there.

quamosity
08-06-2002, 05:39 PM
this model finally showed up at jk2files, but the crc is corrupt, and wont extract. Is there anyway you could upload it somewhere temporarily for a bit until things get straightened out? Jediknightii.net does not have the file, either.

thanks,

quamosity

quamosity
08-06-2002, 05:50 PM
this model finally showed up at jk2files, but the crc is corrupt, and wont extract. Is there anyway you could upload it somewhere temporarily for a bit until things get straightened out? Jediknightii.net does not have the file, either.

thanks,

quamosity

t3rr0r
08-06-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by quamosity
Jediknightii.net does not have the file, either.
they haven't uploaded anything in the past couple days.
/me prods jkii.net ;)

icepool
08-06-2002, 10:27 PM
I've downloaded this model and cant get it to unzip all the way. Too bad cause this model looks and sounds really awesome.

Eets
08-06-2002, 11:10 PM

they haven't uploaded anything in the past couple days.
/me prods jkii.net ;)

Thanks for the prod... we need it. :D We're backed up quite a ways.. expect a VERY large update soon.

I just added the 3po/4lom model. It worked great for me! Download it asap. :D

t3rr0r
08-06-2002, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Eets
Thanks for the prod... we need it. :D We're backed up quite a ways.. expect a VERY large update soon.
so we can expect the works from people who said "expect my model sometime in the next day or so"? :D i'll have to download the final 3po/lom file, since it was fubar on jk2files. :o

Eets
08-06-2002, 11:14 PM
Yep... but personally, I make sure new models are added as soon as we get em, because they're the lifeblood of the JKII community.

I did notice that gundam heavyarms model thingy somewhere in the inbox.. I'll try to get that up sometime real soon ^_^

08-07-2002, 09:19 AM
It's up at Jediknightii.net and this one works:

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=696

Bogus
08-07-2002, 09:40 AM
great job love the model c3po taunt funny

i noticed the battle droid head one and noted something

the battle droid head on 3po body was a battledroid brain that sain "my legs arnt working i must need maintinence" or something like that and the DIE JEDI DOGs was said by battledroid with 3po head

have you tried or asked if you could do that version (battle body 3po head) and i can help look for the other sound ("my legs arnt working i must need maintinence")

Im not trying to be critical it was just a thought.