PDA

View Full Version : Manny in CMI

darrksaber88
07-08-2002, 05:26 AM
I just borrowed Curse of Monkey Island from a friend, and after playing for a while, I got to the part where the skeleton that looks like Manny, wearing the 'Ask me about Grim Fandango' badge, was discovered in a chicken restaurant. The pirate running the restaurant said that he had died after being stabbed over remarking about the chicken. I never did quite get what Manny did in life to get stuck at the DOD, since it didn't seem to me that a reson was ever given. Was insulting the chicken the great sin that Manny committed in life?

Forgive my newbie-ness.

Metallus
07-08-2002, 05:45 AM
Hey, welcome to the forums, rath! I loved that bit in CMI. That scene is actually a reference to something that happened in Monkey Island 1 in the SCUMM Bar. You ran into a pirate (named Cobb) who donned an "Ask me about Loom" button. This pirate bore a strong resemblence to another character from Loom, another LucasArts adventure.

darrksaber88
07-08-2002, 05:58 AM
Ah right, I'd forgotten about the other badge wearing guy... Lucas Arts sure do love paying homage to things.

Metallus
07-08-2002, 06:02 AM
Yeah, so I doubt that that was actually supposed to be Manny's true self in Captain Blondebeard's chicken restaurant. Just someone who looked very very similar.

Isis Kaldara
07-09-2002, 05:04 AM
Heh...chicken...great sin...Heheh...Funny...

H. Toothroot
07-14-2002, 02:22 AM
I think all those parallels between different LEC Games make it a lot more comfy for real LucasArts Adventure Gamers to be real fans. Itīs just great to have a good laugh seeing some character from a different game while playing.

Does anybody remember the SamīnīMax costume that is shown in MI2 on the Booty Island costume rental? You can just see it for a short time, when you get your purple dress there.

I also loved the ancient stone in Dr. Jones office (Last Crusade), that said something about aliens invading earth (Manic Mansion related).

Darth Eggplant
07-15-2002, 06:56 PM
:jawa
alas I am an outcast,
for GF is only the second
Lucasarts game I have ever
played or owned. The other
is Racer. like Pod Racing.
I have always meant to play
some of the others perhaps
my new years resolution for
2003 should be more
Lucasarts games.

Isis Kaldara
07-17-2002, 05:20 AM
Hey, did anyone else see Manny in Episode I? He was in the pod race audience...Really cool...