PDA

View Full Version : New custom Npcs are possible

studman0201
07-10-2002, 10:29 AM
After lots of work the community has unlocked custom npcs.

First before you make the npc file, take the model or skin you want to change and extract it to base/models/plyaers.
then rename the model folder using this guide. yourmodel is in place of the name of the specific model name.
*Dark Jedi---- rebornyourmodel
*Jedi-----------jediyourmodel
*Blaster User----styourmodel
*Bowcaster User------weequayyourmodel (It works)
Failure to follow this guid will result in the weapon being placed at the origin or crotch instead of the persons hands.

Second create a file named newnpcs.npc

in it type:

RebornTyrion
{
playerModel reborntyrion
saberColor red
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
height 78
crouchheight 42
width 18
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class tavion
yawSpeed 120
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd sith_tyrion
sndcombat sith_tyrion
sndjedi sith_tyrion
health 500
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scalez 110
}

STJango
{
fullName "Fett,Jango"
playerModel stjango
snd jango_fett
reactions 5
aim 4
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
rank captain
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class Reelo
snd jango_fett
sndcombat jango_fett
sndextra jango_fett
sndjedi jango_fett
walkSpeed 75
runSpeed 300
yawspeed 200
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scaleZ 90
}

JediTyrion
{
playermodel jedityrion
saberColor random
snd jedi_tyrion
reactions 5
aim 4
move 5
aggression 1
evasion 5
intelligence 5
rank captain
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
// race human
class jedi
snd jedi_tyrion
sndcombat jedi_tyrion
sndextra jedi_tyrion
sndjedi jedi_tyrion
walkSpeed 75
runSpeed 300
yawspeed 200
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scaleZ 95
}

These require the Jango Fett Model from Absath
and The Sith Tyrion and Jedi Tyrion pack from them too.
Try Playing with Different commands found in the npcs.cfg to create new and different ones.

BTW***** PLACE THE .npc FILE IN YOUR base/ext_data folder.

I will update with new information as it comes available.
If you find out new information post it here too

studman0201
07-10-2002, 10:41 AM
using weequay in fact creates an npc with a bowcaster. I will discover other ones also.

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 10:47 AM
So how would i go about replaceing Tavion with a Darth Maul model and sounds? Iv seen someone made a reborn to maul swap, but that sucks, reborns are to easy in single player, Tavion would be a better character to turn into maul, shes not as hard as Desann but shes still pretty good. If you can give me instructions on what i need to do to make the switch, ill make it and upload it to this site.:maul:

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Actually studman, weequayyourmodel DOES NOT work to give an npc a bowcaster, and I think maybe you should have tested this before even suggesting the possibility. Others (including myself) may have done this before posting.

Or better yet, how about not starting a new thread and let the "community" to which you so lightly refer continue to develop this new tack where it started. Maybe a moderator could rename the original thread to clarify the topic, but I hardly think it's necessary to detract from the valuable information there with a new thread in your honor.

If you have something genuine to contribute, by all means do so, but please don't turn this into the mess that happened in the modeling forum.

Thank you.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 10:49 AM
UPDATE<><><><
Using:

A gernade user: granyourmodel
A Repeater user: trandoshanyourmodel

studman0201
07-10-2002, 10:51 AM
I did do weequay and It did work.
So please dont be rude.
I was the man who helped the most.
I told about the names in front----From Chang
I told yall about the .npc naming change from the 1.03 patch
even ask the ihavedirt guy for proof

studman0201
07-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Darth Game god:

extract maul to your base/models/players folder.

then rename the folder to rebornmaul

after doing so in the newnpcs.cfg put this section in:

Rebornmaul
{
playerModel rebornmaul
saberColor red
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
height 78
crouchheight 42
width 18
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class tavion
yawSpeed 120
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd maul
sndcombat maul
sndjedi maul
health 500
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
}

See the variable called class depending on how this is set is if they push or pull or choke, or can block force better, you said you wanted him to be tavion strength.

Also I upped his health to make him stronger

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Correction, it does work. I think I mispelled it the first time (c'mon it's hard to spell). I apologize for the confusion.

Studman, I still feel splitting the thread is/was a waste of energy. No offense, but your also the guy who faked at least three different models today and started WWIII in the modeling forum, so I think my initial skepticism and bluntness is somewhat justified. Anyway, let's not argue - I acknowledge your hand in passing along the info from chang. Let's just both continue figuring out new ways to improve this method.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 11:03 AM
I made a new thread because I wanted everybody to go to this thread, becuase the other one does not decribe the topic in their.
The more people who see, the more further the advancements will go.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Sorry Gran aint workin but I will get a gernade user workin
Either is the Repeater user. I am working on it tho. Hopefully it will be working by tommorow

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 11:14 AM
I tried rt (st = stormtrooper rifle, rt = rockettrooper?) and rodian as prefixes, but neither worked for me.

Btw, studman, do you know if chang stumbled on this accidentally or if there's a list of usable prefixes in a file somewhere?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 11:18 AM
I'll e-mail him about a file to go off of.

Phillio
07-10-2002, 11:41 AM
btw studman.........i already posted a bunch o examples of the NPC junk in "the thread" that started this.

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 11:42 AM
Has anyone been able to get a friendly bowcaster npc in game using the weequay method? My bowcaster guy spawns with a regular blaster rifle if I switch his player/enemy fields....

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 12:07 PM
ok this is what i did, i made a folder in the \GameData\base\models\players dir named RebornMaul, i extracted all of the Maul model files into that folder. Then in that folder i made a new notepad file and copied all that stuff you had set up there. I named it newnpcs.npc (it still said it was a notepad file, i dunno how to change the extention on it.) i tried to spawn him, but obviously it didnt work, so what am i doing wrong?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:08 PM
No wonder gran didnt work it has to be an enemy. thx for the info tho, so my gran, trandoshan should work now, but I will test more

Phillio
07-10-2002, 12:12 PM
It doesn't HAVE to be thew enemy. I made a jediObi1 and made him an enemy, then i made a rebornMaul and made him my friend.......I didn;t HAVE to do that....but I was testing.....so far I have had no problem with making someone enemy team or plsyer team.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:16 PM
to change the extension when saving just type gamegod.npc

dont forget to move it to ext_data also

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 12:24 PM
DarthGameGod,

Does your newnpcs.npc still have a .txt extension at the end? Notepad probably shouldn't recognize the .npc format right away without you telling it to, so it sounds like this is the problem.

To change the extension, go to "folder options", click the view tab and uncheck "hide file extensions for known types". In Win98 that is. You should be able to change it manually now.

Studman, if you're trying the gran and trandoshan again, give rodian and rt a whirl too - I think I had them set to friendly when I tried it.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:41 PM
Gran works with an enemy. I will try trandoshan, then rodian, then rt or rocket or rockettrooper

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 12:54 PM
ok i got the extention thing fixed but i still cant spawn him, i type npc spawn rebornmaul and it dosent work. What did you mean "dont forget to move it to ext_data also" sorry for not understanding but i am new to this.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:58 PM
the npc file needs to be put in base/ext_data
then it should work

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:59 PM
trandoshan and rodian dont work

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Um, I don't get this. So if I have a newnpcs.npc with an entry for a wookiee npc, shouldn't npc spawn wookiee work in the console? Well, it doesn't.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:16 PM
Emon in the .npc file put this

WeequayChewie
{
playerModel weequaychewie
snd wookiee
reactions 5
aim 4
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
rank captain
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class Reelo
snd wookiee
sndcombat wookiee
sndextra wookiee
sndjedi wookiee
walkSpeed 75
runSpeed 300
yawspeed 200
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scaleZ 120
}

also change the wookiee folder name to weequaychewie

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:21 PM
Okay, did that, still doesn't work... Yes I have it as .npc and not .npc.txt, and yes it's in ext_data.

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 01:26 PM
ok i got him to spawn, and he works and fights just the way tavion does, but his skin is all grey, its just a grey darth maul model, he has no skin, the skin is in the folder, there are 3 of them, normal, blue and red, should i remove the blue and red?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:27 PM
Did you rename the model folder of the wookiee to weequaychewie

then type

npc spawn weequaychewie

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:28 PM
That's perxactly what I did, no luck.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:29 PM
I had problems with the maul model. Mine wouldn't show up at all. He would just be a reborn Stormie. I think ur problem is you deleted the old folder. You cant delete the old folder cuz it refernces to it. Game god I will try it out. Give me your e-mail so I can send it to you if i get it workin

Emon give me your e-mail and Ill send you my pk3

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:30 PM
emon1337@yahoo.com

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:32 PM
There it is sending it now

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:38 PM
your server couldnt get it.....can someone upload my chewie for all and emon

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:39 PM
Are you sure you didn't make a typo? I just recieved an e-mail from some other dude a few minutes ago.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:41 PM
it said file size too big
do you have msn

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:42 PM
No, but I have ICQ, 35960628 is my number

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:44 PM
Ill try ICQ but my icq never connects..

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:49 PM
I am trying a new user

Currently not working tho

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:52 PM
It only works unpk3ed, strange.

Still, there's no way to spawn them from ICARUS or Radiant, so, bleh... I guess replacing NPCs has to do.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Ok so you got it working

Emon
07-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Yeah, but how can we get them to spawn from radiant/ICARUS and not use the console?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:09 PM
I am asking chang about that

Emon
07-10-2002, 02:10 PM
Good... I sure hope you can.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:12 PM
If it is possible JO sp levels would be greatly improved

ihavedirt
07-10-2002, 02:14 PM
im pretty sure in the original forum studman said chang told him it was possible to spawn custom npcs in maps, ie custom npcs automatically spawning in custom maps.

i also posted a few icarus scripts i thought some coders might be able to devlop on.

essentially, the problem i encountered was jk2 (in the console) was saying npc_beau has no spawn script or something like that. therefore, we need to work out where we can add the npc_custom spawn scripts. and that means, locating the original spawn scripts which i thought were in a dll file?

Emon
07-10-2002, 02:15 PM
Dunno about greatly improved, but it would be nice. Most NPCs are useless since they belong to the existing story, so you can just replace those.

I personally would like to add new NPCs without jacking up the old ones that I might need sometime later.

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 02:25 PM
I got my new maul npc working, apparently the original maul model i was using was missing some files or something, so i tried a different one and it works just fine (model is better looking too) so the new maul npc works, hes pretty hard too, hes good at dodgeing.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:31 PM
Gj. Darth Game God I knew it would work eventually

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Ok so if i wanna make some more new npc's like say a friendly obi wan, or a jango fett or something, do i just make another "newnpcs.npc" file and adjust it for that character, and repeat the process. If so do i name the new file "newnpcs2.npc"

if im wrong on all counts, please explain.

ihavedirt
07-10-2002, 02:38 PM
from reading what everyone else is doing right now, im pretty sure you just amend your newnpcs.npc or whaterver. ie put all new npcs in one document

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:40 PM
put it in the same one but for a jedi use jediyourmodel

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
I imagine the npc file for a jangofett style character would be totally different than a jedi character, have you made up one for a jango style character?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:47 PM
yes instead use styourmodel
or for a bowcaster use weequayyourmodel (enemy only)
or for a thermal use granyourmodel (enemy only)
or for a civilian type reaction under class change it to imperial when using an st person

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 02:56 PM
yeah i used the setup you had in your original post for jango fett and it worked perfectly (although he was a bit easy to kill) but hell, it worked. Only thing is, he dosent chase you or anything, he just stands there and opens fire like mad.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 02:59 PM
He doesn't move unless the map is built with npc waypoints so he usually sits there

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 03:01 PM
is it possible to edit a map and put npc waypoints into it? like a multiplayer map or something.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 03:03 PM
I beleive so ask in the mapping thread tho. Cuz you will need to get the .map file from the maker to do so

Darth_Gamegod
07-10-2002, 05:52 PM
ok im experimenting with Radient, its pretty complicated and hard to use, but ill figure it out..

How about adding sounds to the new npc's i imagine you can do it, just wondering how?

pud1
07-10-2002, 07:08 PM
I'm having trouble
my models have stormtrooper skins and half the jedi i make dont have lit lightsabers what am i doing wrong?

maybe explain it to me little more detail?

ihavedirt
07-10-2002, 07:46 PM
pud1,

dont forget to look at the older thread (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66494) that has a few different examples and lots of posts with the codes in them also.

stormtrooper skins result in the model directory being called/referenced incorrectly i think

i also had the unignited saber problem.

basically, at the moment this is what i have

ext_data\customnpcs.npc

this contains references for all the new npc im using

basically, within that, i have for example

jediben_kenobe
{
playerModel jediben_kenobe
saberColor yellow
rank lt
reactions 3
aim 3
move 3
aggression 3
evasion 2
intelligence 3
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
class jedi
yawSpeed 140
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd jedi1
sndcombat jedi1
sndjedi jedi1
health 200
dismemberProbHead 0
dismemberProbArms 5
dismemberProbLegs 0
dismemberProbHands 10
dismemberProbWaist 0
}

stboba_fett
{
playerModel stboba_fett
reactions 3
aim 1
move 3
aggression 3
evasion 1
intelligence 5
rank crewman
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
// race human
class lando
snd lando
sndcombat lando
sndextra lando
sndjedi lando
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
yawspeed 120
dismemberProbHead 0
dismemberProbArms 0
dismemberProbHands 0
dismemberProbLegs 0
dismemberProbWaist 0
}

these examples have incorrect sounds and arent totally realistic but its something i just chucked in quickly as a test.

with the jedi, you will notice that i have an old obi wan skin/model that im using. make sure that all references to this player are the same. that also means checking the .skin files reference your newly renamed model as well. hopefully that makes sense. and the same with the stboba_fett

so model_default.skin is something you are likely to have to edit as well as any shaders etc

there is possibly an easier way to do the .npc file but i find that if you have a prefix in front of everything (model dir, player name etc) then its much easier if someone is reading through the npc file to know whats going on. ie, you will have a list of all jedi, st, weequay, reborn etc

hope that helps

~* beau *~

Phillio
07-10-2002, 10:43 PM
I found another thing you can do.

granboxeryourmodel = makes that model punch.

Heh, I found a nice looking model yesterday and made a NPC of it. But, the reason why I posted the info here is cause it is......JAR JAR!!! Now we can spawn him, torcher him...... He even has his annoying sounds!! Get it at www.jk2files.com and www.jediknightii.net !!!!

Erich
07-11-2002, 12:19 AM
Ok, so I have done everything that was told to do to create a custom npc. I downloaded the older Mace Windu Skin and tried ot create him as a custom npc. When I get into the game, I type npc spawn jediwindu and it spawns a stormtrooper with a lightsaber. Why will it not show mace windu in the game?

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 01:56 AM
download my jedi pack as soon as jk2 puts it up.

and to do it yourself, go into the pk3 and look at his SKIN file for model_default (like it says above).

Any directory that says "windu", "ep2windu", etc...rename it to jediwindu. That should fix your problem.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 03:05 AM
From Chang about the weapon setup:

"where you see a "stricmp" it's looking for the exact name, where you see a "strncmp", it's only looking for the NPC's name to start with those letters...

int NPC_WeaponsForTeam( team_t team, int spawnflags, const char *NPC_type )
{
switch(team)
{
case TEAM_ENEMY:
if ( Q_stricmp( "tavion", NPC_type ) == 0 ||
Q_strncmp( "reborn", NPC_type, 6 ) == 0 ||
Q_stricmp( "desann", NPC_type ) == 0 ||
Q_strncmp( "shadowtrooper", NPC_type, 13 ) == 0 )
return ( 1 << WP_SABER);

if ( Q_strncmp( "stofficer", NPC_type, 9 ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_FLECHETTE);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "stcommander", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_REPEATER);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "swamptrooper", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_FLECHETTE);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "swamptrooper2", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "rockettrooper", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_ROCKET_LAUNCHER);
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "shadowtrooper", NPC_type, 13 ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_SABER); }
if ( Q_stricmp( "imperial", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_BLASTER_PISTOL);
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "impworker", NPC_type, 9 ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "stormpilot", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "galak", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_BLASTER);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "galak_mech", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "ugnaught", NPC_type, 8 ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "granshooter", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "granboxer", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_MELEE);
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "gran", NPC_type, 4 ) == 0 )
{
return (( 1 << WP_THERMAL)|( 1 << WP_MELEE));
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "rodian", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_DISRUPTOR);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "rodian2", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}

if (( Q_stricmp( "interrogator",NPC_type) == 0) || ( Q_stricmp( "sentry",NPC_type) == 0) || (Q_strncmp( "protocol",NPC_type,8) == 0) )
{
return WP_NONE;
}

if ( Q_strncmp( "weequay", NPC_type, 7 ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_BOWCASTER); }
if ( Q_stricmp( "impofficer", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "impcommander", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if (( Q_stricmp( "probe", NPC_type ) == 0 ) || ( Q_stricmp( "seeker", NPC_type ) == 0 ))
{
return ( 1 << WP_BOT_LASER);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "remote", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return ( 1 << WP_BOT_LASER );
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "trandoshan", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return (1<<WP_REPEATER);
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "atst", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return (( 1 << WP_ATST_MAIN)|( 1 << WP_ATST_SIDE));
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "mark1", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "mark2", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "minemonster", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return (( 1 << WP_MELEE));
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "howler", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return (( 1 << WP_MELEE));
}
//Stormtroopers, etc.
break;

//allies
case TEAM_PLAYER:

if(spawnflags & SFB_RIFLEMAN)

if(spawnflags & SFB_PHASER)

if ( Q_strncmp( "jedi", NPC_type, 4 ) == 0 || Q_stricmp( "luke", NPC_type ) == 0 )
return ( 1 << WP_SABER);

if ( Q_strncmp( "prisoner", NPC_type, 8 ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "bespincop", NPC_type, 9 ) == 0 )
{
}

if ( Q_stricmp( "MonMothma", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}

//rebel
break;

case TEAM_NEUTRAL:

if ( Q_stricmp( "mark1", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "mark2", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_strncmp( "ugnaught", NPC_type, 8 ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "bartender", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}
if ( Q_stricmp( "morgankatarn", NPC_type ) == 0 )
{
return WP_NONE;
}

break;

default:
break;
}

return WP_NONE;
}

Next time I'll put these in the NPCs.cfg... heh

Michael Chang Gummelt

Gameplay Programmer: Jedi Knight II

Raven Software

www.ravensoft.com"

studman0201
07-11-2002, 03:21 AM
Looking through it here are all available codes.

enemies only
stofficeryourmodel ----- uses flechette
shaodwtrooperyourmodel------uses saber
ugnaughtyourmodel ---------no weapon
granyourmodel -------------thermals, and punches
weequayyourmodel------------bowcaster
styourmodel-------------------stormie blaster
rebornyourmodel-----------------saber user

allies only
jediyourmodel---------------saber user
bespincopyourmodel------------ uses blaster pistol
prisoneryourmodel----------------no weapon
styourmodel--------------------stormie blaster

pud1
07-11-2002, 03:50 AM
How do u look at stuff....or extract files out of a pk3, maybe thats why i am doing this wrong?

I think i just need 1 pk3 to download that changes everything i need done, b/c i still hardly understand and have read both threads

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 03:55 AM
Interesting, studman. Better than testing every possible combo. Now ask him about class editing :)

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 04:18 AM
Neat, using the shadowtrooper prefix solves that problem I described in the older thread with shadowtrooper class npcs dropping rgb wireframes when killed. They drop normal forcegems now :) This custom npc style looks really cool with the MGS ninja, as he can cloak and de-cloak...

studman0201
07-11-2002, 04:36 AM
Shadow trooper custom npc's cloak. that is awesome. I gotta try that out

pud1
07-11-2002, 04:46 AM
Ok i finally got my qui-gon jedi npc model out there instead of stormtrooper i had to extract the qui-gon skin files into a folder and extract the npcs.cfg from assets0.pk3 and put em in the folder and rename the folder JediQui-Gon
I also have made a new folder in the base dir called ext_data and put my newnpcs.npc file there.

But now i got qui-gon fighting with no lightsaber
it's in his crotch hehee
and i dont remember how to corect that?

edit: ok i didnt need to extract assets0pk3 file called npcs.cfg to my qui-gon folder, so i took it out!

Still got his saber in his crotch!! pls help

studman0201
07-11-2002, 05:09 AM
Has anybody tried a npc with the protocol or droid animations??

pud1
07-11-2002, 05:17 AM
oooooook

finally screwed around with the newnpcs.npc file and got his lightsaber out of his crotch and into his hand but now the saber is not ignited

Anyone know?

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by studman0201
Shadow trooper custom npc's cloak. that is awesome. I gotta try that out

screens: (cut and paste the links)

http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/mgs.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/mgs2.jpg

studman0201
07-11-2002, 05:25 AM
Does the model path need to be shadowtrooperyourmodel or just rebornyourmodel with the class being shadowtrooper

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 05:28 AM
Both the model path and class have to be set to shadowtrooper - if you use reborn with shadowtrooper class the forcegem will just be a wireframe.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 05:34 AM
Gotcha.
I am going to try someting to simplify things further.

make it simpler to spawn.
didn't work. The saber was in their hand but shot blaster bullets.

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 05:41 AM
Has anybody tried a npc with the protocol or droid animations??

Ha, I just tried making a protocol droid character npc. They look just like the custom skin, except they explode when killed!!! :D
(oh my god, my aayla npc was a fembot!!! ok too much austin powers on tv this week...) Behavior-wise they spawn without a weapon, so they pretty much put their hands up and run around alot, no matter how you set their alignment. Too bad it seems we can't do custom interrogator droids, according to Chang. I'd like to see hovering npcs...

Tzar Sectus
07-11-2002, 05:43 AM
I tested this out and there's one thing I noticed, playermodel does *not* have to start with Jedi/ST/whatever, it can be anything, so you don't have to rename any model directories. The actual name of the NPC is the only thing which controls what weapon the npc gets.

-Remi

studman0201
07-11-2002, 05:45 AM
i think making flying npcs is possible.

try changing movetype from runjump

to

movetype flyswim

Emon
07-11-2002, 05:54 AM
Stud did you get a reply from Chang yet about getting these to spawn via radiant or ICARUS?

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:03 AM
I have to resend. the e-mail messed up during sending

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 06:06 AM
i think making flying npcs is possible.

try changing movetype from runjump

to

movetype flyswim

Alas, they don't fly or float, it looks more like the character is on ice, mostly sliding everywhere instead of walking or running. And they make a bunch of thwacking sounds when they die instead of the usual one.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:10 AM
lol guess I was wrong on that. But I hadn't tried it out.

maybe to fly they have to be a certain class or use certain animations. like the other enemies that float.

BTW I sent the e-mail and I asked

about the classes

and how to (if possible) to spawn a new npc entry using icarus/radiant.

pud1
07-11-2002, 06:20 AM
all my jedimodels dont ignite there saber darnit
please help
i got rebornmaul to work and he woops my ass but none of my jedi's will light their sabers!

heres what i have:

JediAayla
{
playerModel jediaayla
saberColor blue
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 3
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
height 78
crouchheight 42
width 18
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
// race human
class tavion
yawSpeed 120
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd aayla
sndcombat aayla
sndjedi aayla
health 500
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
}

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:23 AM
NEW NPCS IN MAPS ARE POSSIBLE..... NEW CLASSES AREN'T

CLASSES ARE HARDCODED.

A previous response to someone who asked the same questions:

Unfortunately, the saber hilts are hardcoded (along with saber length and some other stuff I would have liked to have externalized into the NPCs.cfg, but I didn't have time).
You can make new NPCs by making a new NPC entry and putting it in an .npc file in ext_data (so you don't overwrite the NPCs.cfg).

You can copy and paste an NPC entry into your new file and modify it.

Then place an NPC_spawner in your map and set the NPC_type to whatever name you came up with for your NPC.

One word about NPC naming conventions:

If you want them to start with a particular weapon, you should either name your NPC in a way that is consistent with existing ones (again, starting weapon is something I should have externalized). So if you want them to start with a saber, their name should start with "jedi", "reborn" or "shadowtrooper". If you want them to start with a blaster, their name should start with "st" or "rebel" or something like that... I can send a full list if you need it.

Also, the model you specify should also try to use the existing NPC's naming conventions. This is because the only way the game knows that you're using the humanoid skeleton for your model is by looking at the model name and comparing it to a list. So, the model's directory should start with one of the following:

"st"

"imp"

"gran"

"rodian"

"weequay"

"reborn"

"shadowtrooper"

"swamptrooper"

"bespincop"

"rebel"

"ugnaught"

"morgan"

"protocol"

"jedi"

"prisoner"

Otherwise, if you're using one of the existing model directories, it will be fine.

Michael Chang Gummelt

Gameplay Programmer: Jedi Knight II

Raven Software

www.ravensoft.com

Emon
07-11-2002, 06:27 AM
NPC_spawner? What the hell is that?

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:29 AM
I dunno I never mapped before. I just put what he said

jipe
07-11-2002, 06:35 AM
but there is no npc_spawner entity.. unless he means npc_****

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:50 AM
I dunno but chang said there is so there must be

Emon
07-11-2002, 06:55 AM
No, there are no NPC_spawner or NPC_type entities. If he's referring to entities, he's wrong, because there are none. Perhaps it appears only in the UberRadiant that Raven gets. :p

He's probably referring to something else...I'll e-mail him about it. It's probably a key or something and corresponding values.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:58 AM
I think NPC_spawner is the entity

and NPC_type is a key that you assign a value.

I tried a little mapping but my map was crap so I gave up.

Hopefully this will work because it could spark some fuel in me to try again

Emon
07-11-2002, 07:00 AM
There is no NPC_spawner entity.

I've tried an NPC_***** with keys NPC_spawner and NPC_type with values of my NPC name. First I tried one, then the other, then both. No luck.

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:15 AM
seriously has anyone tried editing radiant's def files for this? we all know that to make a hydroball map you have to create custom definitions. so maybe one can modify the def file for single player to use those entities. just something to think about.

Emon
07-11-2002, 07:28 AM
The SP_entities.def and MP_entities.def only contain descriptions and stuff for Radiant. Hydroball's new entities are because that guy had the MP source to work with. Unfortunatly, we don't have the SP source to do the same. Damnit, closed source SUCKS! :(

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:29 AM
still... maybe it's possible... gonna try it now just to see for myself

studman0201
07-11-2002, 07:30 AM
Someone else contact chang on those two things?

NPC_spawner
NPC_type

i have contacted him too much and dont wanna pester him like I did a long time ago with new npc entries

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Emon
The SP_entities.def and MP_entities.def only contain descriptions and stuff for Radiant. Hydroball's new entities are because that guy had the MP source to work with. Unfortunatly, we don't have the SP source to do the same. Damnit, closed source SUCKS! :(

maybe if npc_spawner is in the game code tho maybe you could add IT to the defs and try it. that would be interesting to see

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:49 AM
adding the NPC directly to the defs didn't work... trying adding NPC_Spawner and using NPC_Type as a key. never know til one tries. :p

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:54 AM
ugh... neither worked.... looks like i'm emailing Chang about this

pud1
07-11-2002, 08:53 AM
arg
<sarcasm>Thanks for the help guys!</sarcasm>
:mad:

Emon
07-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Yeah, please do. Like I said, the entities files are just Radiant descriptions. Adding entries won't do jack.

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 09:55 AM
gonna email him now... anyone got any complaints to him before I do? :p

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 10:01 AM
email sent. we shall see. i will post the reply when i get it.

edit: woohoo new avatar :p

Joben
07-11-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by drjimmy515

Alas, they don't fly or float, it looks more like the character is on ice, mostly sliding everywhere instead of walking or running. And they make a bunch of thwacking sounds when they die instead of the usual one.

I seem to remember "gravity" as being setable for a charecter.
You might have to do it with Icarus though, I should go look
at how probedroids are setup in the levels.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 11:58 AM
I think it is to do with the classes Joben I am going to look about it too

I think it is because each robot that can fly has it's own class.

Yep but they dont go up unless you push em up. So i put notarget on a pushed him up real High. He stayed there. When I turned notarget off he came slowly down while shooting an invisible gun. I have pics but no website to upload them to

Darth_Gamegod
07-11-2002, 12:23 PM
i know this is a little off the current topic, but has anyone tried, or figured out a way to make a new npc use the double saber, it would round off maul perfectly, i imagine theres a way to do it, why raven dosent release a patch or something that will open up that damn weapon, is beyond me. Everyone likes to use it.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 12:39 PM
Maybe they are making an expansion which has an enemy who uses one therefore allowing us to unlock it when it is released.

I have heard rumors from many that an expansion is planned, and is why they are not releasing the source code.

pud1
07-11-2002, 01:06 PM
Hey studman my aayla wont ignite her saber she acts like it is lit and tries to fight
here is what is have:
JediAayla
{
playerModel jediaayla
saberColor blue
snd aayla
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 4
evasion 4
intelligence 5
rank captain
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
// race human
class tavion
snd aayla
sndcombat aayla
sndextra aayla
sndjedi aayla
yawSpeed 200
walkSpeed 70
runSpeed 200
health 300
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scaleZ 95
}

also how do i know what to put in the snd, snd jedi.... stuff?

studman0201
07-11-2002, 01:32 PM
Looks correct, I have one that works I can show you if ya want it.\
The snds should be the same for all unless you wanted someone who has like a splitpersonality you could make him talk different in certain situations.
Here is mine

JediAayla
{
playermodel jediaayla
saberColor blue
snd jan
reactions 5
aim 4
move 5
aggression 1
evasion 5
intelligence 5
rank captain
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
// race human
class jedi
snd jan
sndcombat jan
sndextra jan
sndjedi jan
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
scaleZ 83
}

BTW I am working on a mod with many Jedi and many Dark Jedi. Some are from SW movies. Some made up characters, and some EU characters. I am organizing currently. I want it to be simple to edit if a person wanted to.

studman0201
07-11-2002, 01:40 PM
Can someone post a link to a webpage with character sizes please

pud1
07-11-2002, 02:12 PM
cool it works i guess it were those jan snd ones

aight im gonnaa make more thnx

studman0201
07-11-2002, 02:18 PM
I am working on a new mod and can use your help, pud1, ihavedirt, Darth_GameGod, and drjimmy. Check the thread in general editing to find out more.

If you wanna help PM or e-mail me at chris_harris@attbi.com
to find out the way I am doing it. I have a way to make it easy for a person who knows nada on this subject to find the person and edit it.

pud1
07-11-2002, 02:28 PM
sure I'll help all im good for is maybe puting files in folders for you or betatesting or whatever
Dont know how to make skins or models
but i can try to help anyway possible :)

Darth_Gamegod
07-11-2002, 03:31 PM
yeah sure ill help with whatever i can. Iv been messing with the map builder, but im still a noob with it, i did make a friendly obi wan npc today, it was fun to fight maul with obiwan by my side.

pud1
07-11-2002, 04:01 PM
ya man i've got a jediaayla jediben and jediquigon that can own
I like em helping me out in some maps real fun on the ladder :D

volrathxp
07-11-2002, 07:48 PM
Maybe they are making an expansion which has an enemy who uses one therefore allowing us to unlock it when it is released.

I have heard rumors from many that an expansion is planned, and is why they are not releasing the source code.

actually source isn't going to be released even when/if an expansion pack is released. legally they're not allowed to, cuz the source is tied to jk2gamex86.dll and jk2sp.exe. despite the fact that only 10% of the Q3 Engine code was left intact, that code is still there, and legally they aren't allowed to release that since it is still id's property...

still no email back from chang... will let you all know when he does

Emon
07-11-2002, 11:52 PM
Wrong. The SP source code is ONLY in jk2gamex86.dll, not jk2sp.exe as well. They CAN release it, they are just being bastards about it (LEC is), as usual.

Emon
07-11-2002, 11:55 PM
On that same note, I'm suprised that they aren't releasing it, given their choice for absolutly no copy protection, I would have thought they would. Hopefully they are planning to release it after an expansion.

If not, an expansion would, at the least, allow for SOME more SP modding. Chang said there was a ton of stuff he wanted to implement into npcs.cfg that would allow us to change it, but he didn't have time. Perhaps this will be different for an expansion.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 01:32 AM
If the things he wanted to implement were implemented then making new npc's would be twice as simple, and you could get new hilts for each jedi.

Emon
07-12-2002, 02:04 AM
Exactly. It would be nice if they put a lot more stuff into those files that we can edit for an expansion. An SP source would be better, though.

-Chrono_MOT-
07-12-2002, 02:17 AM
You know the amount of things we could do with SP source?

1.) new hilts for every jedi

2.) double sabers for any jedi

3.) double-edged sabers for any jedi

4.) adding more force powers

5.) tweaking our own AI

6.) creating our own cutscenes (I really know of no way to do this other than JK2rad I guess) complete with really nice animations and new sounds

7.) import multiplayer powers into SP game (like absorb, dark rage, etc)

I can hardly wait for GL to get that stick out of his arse.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 02:47 AM
I have the def. for the NPC_spawner. From Chang himself

http://www.geocities.com/studman0201/SP_entities.zip

If this goes down e-mail me and I will send it to you.

my e-mail is chris_harris@attbi.com

ihavedirt
07-12-2002, 03:54 AM
we already had that in the def's but it was renamed (or hidden?). i wonder if we should search for more ******'s and see if there are some other bits and pieces we can change

old sp_entities.def
/*QUAKED NPC_***** (1 0 0)

emailed sp_entities.def
/*QUAKED NPC_spawner (1 0 0)

studman0201
07-12-2002, 03:57 AM
Does it work???

ihavedirt
07-12-2002, 04:08 AM
im trying to test it now. i dont know if im the best person to be testing it though coz i have limited knowledge about spawnscripts etc anyway :(

ill see what i can do though. ive been trying to do this for ages!

it works!!!!!!!

i stuffed up my spawn script for the character and i think kyle gets affected as well. he couldnt jump or do anything. i locked him to the saber and it was weird. he kept saying, i better not try to attract any attention. ive taken out the npc spawnscript file to see what happens

it totally works and im extremely happy. my reborn ninja with luke class i think totally wall walks and cartwheels and kicks rebornboss arse!

anyone want me to upload my test pk3 file? its 300k and has a tiny little map and reborn ninja character. or do you just want me to post the entities and stuff i have in my map and the method i used?

~* beau *~

studman0201
07-12-2002, 04:26 AM
No, but spread the word to all so that it becomes a new standard for SP mapping, because the Mainframe level replaced many people when they could of done this, So I say spread this to all in mapping. I tried but my trust from others is low right now in modeling from my gay brother posting fakeys

ihavedirt
07-12-2002, 04:36 AM
Okay, this is using JKRadiant for my SP test map spawning a custom npc titled "jedibeau"

Created a trigger_once entity:
classname trigger_once
spawnflags 1
target spawn_jedibeau

Created a NPC_spawner entity:
classname NPC_spawner
npc_type jedibeau
spawnscript test/spawn_jedibeau
targetname spawn_jedibeau

Created customnpcs.npc in ext_data:
jedibeau
{
playerModel jedibeau
saberColor blue
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 5
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
playerTeam player
enemyTeam enemy
class luke
yawSpeed 140
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd morgan
sndcombat morgan
sndjedi morgan
health 100
dismemberProbHead 10
dismemberProbArms 35
dismemberProbLegs 10
dismemberProbHands 50
dismemberProbWaist 10
}

Placed spawn_jedibeau.IBI in scripts\test

Placed test.bsp in maps

Placed jedibeau model in models\players\jedibeau
// make sure your model_default.skin jpg links link to your newly renamed jedi or st model etc

-Chrono_MOT-
07-12-2002, 05:17 AM
very interesting indeed. I say the three of us get together and come up with a tutorial mod so that people have an example of spawning your own npc through cheats, and through custom maps.

very nice find.

one step closer to SP mods, we are.

volrathxp
07-12-2002, 06:23 AM
I have the def. for the NPC_spawner. From Chang himself

http://www.geocities.com/studman0201/SP_entities.zip

If this goes down e-mail me and I will send it to you.

my e-mail is chris_harris@attbi.com

i just got that email from him myself as well..

so... where to next with this?

studman0201
07-12-2002, 07:08 AM
We can do alot with npc's now. With icarus scripting you can give them only certain weapons and forces, and make them do things and Act in cutscenes

Chrono I am working on a tutorial also for in-game spawning. You can do the map one if ya like or do yer own one, I am half-way done with my tutorial. It is going to explain each command and show many examples, and as always I will give credit to all who helped custom npc's become a reality

Emon
07-12-2002, 07:11 AM
YOU ALL SEEM TO BE FORGETTING THE BIG PROBLEM OF THIS METHOD NOT YET WORKING IN A MOD PK3, THUS RENDERING IT COMPLETELY USELESS.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 07:14 AM
actually have you tried just making a folder in the mod ext_data

like npcMod/ext_data because then you could zip the folder npcMod up which would include a model.pk3 and the ext_data folder. I am going to try it. If not you could just have them install the files into base/ext_data and the model.pk3 put in the base folder

Emon
07-12-2002, 07:24 AM
Well, if you mean do something like this: Jedi Outcast\GameData\SP MOD\ext_data, then YES, it DOES work! While it may not be a nicely wrapped all-in-one PK3, it's the best as we are going to get.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 07:27 AM
Yes that is what I mean----Plus it makes it easier to edit for noobs who dont know how to unpack things from pk3's

Emon
07-12-2002, 07:30 AM
Very true.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 10:10 AM
I recieved a disheartening e-mail from Chang about sp source:

We won't be releasing single-player source code because it's not intended to be modded - the code exists in the executable and DLLs, which are not safe to distribute.

[EDIT]I Also am almost finished with my tutorial. I am in need of help though. Can someone do the part of my tutorial for getting their npc into a map and with tutorials on icarus scripting?
Emon ur working on one right?

I can send you my document when I finish the parts that I need to do then you could finish it up. As always I will give you the credit for it.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 11:27 AM
I sent Chang an e-mail on some top secret stuff i am workin on. I will let yall know at the release of my npcMod Pack, hopefully if it works.

If it works it will rock the SP community big!

It may even save my reputation which is in the poop chutes curently.

I am hopeing for the best. and as always may the farce be with you!!!

jipe
07-12-2002, 12:43 PM
We won't be releasing single-player source code because it's not intended to be modded - the code exists in the executable and DLLs, which are not safe to distribute.

Ok, I'd just like to take this opportunity to shove this back in the face of all the "master crackers" who repeatedly argued that all the code was in jk2game86.dll (or whatever the hell it's called). Yeah. No.

studman0201
07-12-2002, 12:49 PM
I am thinking he could release partial source, from only the .DLL's because only the .exe contains stuff from John Carmack at ID

volrathxp
07-13-2002, 10:34 AM
what's cracked out is that only 10% of the q3 code was left unmodified. Raven heavily modified the rest of it themselves.

acewombat
07-15-2002, 07:45 AM
*Dark Jedi---- rebornyourmodel
*Jedi-----------jediyourmodel
*Blaster User----styourmodel
*Bowcaster User------weequayyourmodel

i was looking at this and I saw a more detailed one once that listed them all. Like if you want to use tavion's ai or use someone with a repeater how would you do this could someone redirect me to this thread if you know where it is?

drjimmy515
07-15-2002, 07:56 AM
Let's see.... studman posted some info from chang 2 pages back in this thread which reveals which character types only require a prefix and which need the exact name. There's a brief summary of what this info means a couple posts below that.

As of now, I don't know of any way to spawn from the console a custom npc with a repeater. To give an npc Tavion's AI, just put "tavion" as the "class" value in their .npc entry.

Emon
07-15-2002, 08:39 AM
Try trandoshanYourModel for the repeater.

Gram_Reaper
07-16-2002, 01:09 AM
i have tried everything to get my custom npcs into the game. But have a few questions.
Im trying to do a maw npc but it wont spawn in game

1. do i just have to put the model pk3 in the folder or go into the pk3 and get the model folder out and extract it to rebornmaw folder
2. i tried emons tutoiral but JK2 radiant crashes when i go to use it. bummer eh
3.if it works nice job guys, cant wait till more sp coding comes out. it would be amazing some of the stuff the community could do

Lord Ignasius
07-16-2002, 01:46 AM
Gram_reaper I am making a mod that will be out very soon that has a Maw npc and it has his brother Skoth who is a jedi, who happens to have his legs chopped off.

Gram_Reaper
07-16-2002, 02:08 AM
sweet:fire11: :blaze6:

Gram_Reaper
07-16-2002, 01:39 PM
hey if anyone is still reading this forum and has got this working, tell me if you had to make the ext_data folder in your baswe folder?

Darth_Gamegod
07-16-2002, 06:22 PM
ok im haveing trouble getting my npcs to work, so far i have made two npcs, darth maul and obiwan, and they work fine. But iv tried to make some others, but they never seem to work.

So far my newnpcs.npc file has two characters in it (maul & obi) but when i try to add another one, say Quigon, i set it up exactally the same way my obiwan is set up, i place the quigon model in a JediQuigon folder, and change his settings to jediquigon for his name and model, but he shows up as a jedi trainer.. Iv tried mace windu also, and his body works, but his head dosent show up, it looks like an unskinned luke head. Any ideas Studman? Also if you still want my help with your npc mod, tell me, ill help anyway i can, plus it might help me get all my new npcs i want working, to work! lol.

Email me if you want.
gamegod3@comcast.net

Lord Ignasius
07-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Darth seems like you need to open the .skin files in notepad. To do so double click on it and choose notepad.

After doing so you should see something like l_rhand models/players/quigonVm2/arms.jpg or something similar.

In the menu bar find the replace and just replace quigonvm2 with jediquigon.

Do this for skins that aren't working. In most cases it fixes the problem.

Darth_Gamegod
07-16-2002, 08:50 PM
ok man ill give that a try and let you know, thanks.

Darth_Gamegod
07-16-2002, 09:04 PM
looks like you solved my problem Lord Ignasius, thanks man, i think also part of the problem was i had a second npc file that i made still in the ext_data folder (had a jango fett npc built in) and that seemed to be messing things up as well.

Anyhoo, thanks.

drjimmy515
07-17-2002, 01:34 AM
I'm sad to report that I think I've reached the limit to custom npcs.

I have 59 (give or take one, if I miscounted) working custom npcs, mostly in an edited npcs.cfg file, but when I try to add a 60th, either to the npcs.cfg or in a new.npc file, I get "ext_data/NPCs.cfg is too large" or "NPC extensions (*.npc) are too large)" , respectively, when trying to load a map. I've tried various combinations of characters in npcs.cfg and .npc files, but nothing seems to let me break 60 npcs. :(

Can anyone confirm this?

ihavedirt
07-17-2002, 01:44 AM
drjimmy: have you tried making a second npc file?

ie newnpcs.npc and morenewnpcs.npc or something?

drjimmy515
07-17-2002, 02:13 AM
As far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with the size of the .npc file or npcs.cfg. I've tried 59 new npcs in a single npcs.cfg... add a 60th to that - boom, doesn't work. Add a 60th with an .npc file instead. Still doesn't work. Start with 58 npcs in the npcs.cfg, add two separate .npc files... still no go. The only thing I haven't tried is putting them all in one .npc or multiple .npc files... but something tells me it won't work...

Update: Just tried putting all of the new npcs in a single .npc file, and then tried splitting them into four smaller .npc files. Still can't get 60 with either method.

pud1
07-17-2002, 05:43 AM
http://karnij.homestead.com/files/shot0012.jpg

ahh npc fun

and i got custom npc's like aayla, old_ben, and quigon. And i also spawned ingame originals like jedi, jedi2, jeditrainer, and luke.
Ahh its fun

They kick booty too

drjimmy515
07-17-2002, 06:13 AM
mwahaha! pud, my jedi army will crush your pitiful little band (Palpatine-esque cackle)

http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood7.jpg

(copy to new browser)

But seriously, has anyone else encountered the npc limit yet? I don't want to have to decide whether Darth Vader or Padme is more important to me.... :(

pud1
07-17-2002, 07:06 AM
I haven't spawned that many yet hehe
How do u get friendly rifle carrying npc's?

Daskers
07-17-2002, 07:09 AM
Has anybody tried adding the new Darth Vader model (over at Jedioutcast.net) and ave the head not appear.

Thats whats happened to me. Anybody have a solution. I've tried the surf off routines, but no result.

<edit>

forget this. I forgot to update the model information in my rebornvader model folder (in my npc.pk3)

Gram_Reaper
07-17-2002, 07:17 AM
The only thing im having trouble with is the NpC's not spawning in the game. Ive tried most things but if someone who had trouble getting them spawned please tell me how you fixed your problem

pud1
07-17-2002, 07:52 AM
What exactly is your problem?

which models or custom models are you trying to spawn?
maybe not all the right files for your model is in the model/player folder

drjimmy515
07-17-2002, 07:52 AM
Gram, if you want, give me your email and I'll send you a working npc mod.

Gram_Reaper
07-17-2002, 08:04 AM
ok its insane_30@hotmail.com thanks jimmy

Lord Ignasius
07-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Just to let yall know. new animations are now possible. To do a new animation.

1)Make animations in SoftImage XSI.
2)Export to XSI format(not sure of which format. I saw this on modelling forum)
3)name the file the same as the model
4)Using assimilate compile the model/animations
5)This will create a .gla and .glm, and animations.cfg

Now all we need to know how to do is get the animations working for npcs's.

And so custom NPC's have gone to a new level.

CREDIT GOES TO SILENTMOBIUS

Gram_Reaper
07-17-2002, 08:07 AM
Lord- post it in another thread so everyone can see it. We need more breakthrough sp and Mp things like that

Lord Ignasius
07-17-2002, 08:08 AM
Aight!!

Gram_Reaper
07-17-2002, 08:09 AM
trying to get away from the bad rep lol j/k :max:

Darth_Gamegod
07-17-2002, 09:19 AM
ok i will explain the steps for makeing a new NPC as best i can for you guys who need it. Keep in mind you dont have to have the model's pk3 file in the base folder for the npcs to work.

1) download or find the model you want to use, and open the pk3 file with winzip, find the model files and hold on to them for a sec.

2) go to your base folder [gamedata\base] and find the, ext_data, folder, if you dont see one, then just make one.

3) make a notpad file, and change the ext to .NPC and copy your npc script into that file, then name it, newnpcs.npc.

npc script should look like this. (for this example we are making darth maul)

Rebornmaul
{
playerModel rebornmaul
saberColor red
rank captain
reactions 5
aim 5
move 5
aggression 5
evasion 5
intelligence 5
hfov 160
vfov 160
height 78
crouchheight 42
width 18
playerTeam enemy
enemyTeam player
// race human
class tavion
yawSpeed 300
walkSpeed 55
runSpeed 200
snd maul
sndcombat maul
sndjedi maul
health 500
dismemberProbHead 99
dismemberProbArms 99
dismemberProbLegs 99
dismemberProbHands 99
dismemberProbWaist 99
}

As you can see, i beefed him up a bit for more challenge. ;)

4) Ok now that your npc file is made, go to your base\models\players, folder, if you dont have a models folder, simply make one, then make a players folder inside that.

5) Make a new folder named RebornMaul, and drag those model files you had inside that folder.

6) While in the RebornMaul folder find the Model_default.skin (or whatever yours is named, just find the default.skin file). Right click on it, and click open with, then choose notpad. You will see a bunch of lines of script that looks like this.

hips,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg
l_leg,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg
l_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/Maul/caps.jpg
r_leg,models/players/Maul/legs.jpg
r_leg_cap_hips_off,models/players/Maul/caps.jpg
r_arm,models/players/Maul/body.jpg
r_hand,models/players/Maul/body.jpg

excetra, there will be alot more, but you get the idea. This is the file that tells the game where to look for the skin on your model when its loaded into the game. So what you do is, see how it says on them /players/Maul/blah.jpg just replace the "Maul" with "RebornMaul" that way the game will look inside your Reborn Maul folder for your model and skins when you load your npc..

Thats it, it should work, you may find models that dont work no matter what you do, that usually the fault of the person who made the model not includeing enough files, and shares to many files with other models, but for most of them, it works just fine.

I hope this helps some of you..:D

May the force be with you, and tell whoever is makeing the yoda model to hurry up, i want a yoda npc;) hehe

http://membres.lycos.fr/gamegod420/game/ouch.jpg
Qui-gon Jinn: Pay back's a bitch!

Londo Mollari
07-17-2002, 01:06 PM
OK I don't know about anybody else but I had a real hard time getting characters to spawn. I did something different. I took the skin I wanted and put the player models in the Gamedata/Base/models/players folder as mentioned before. Renaming the model folder as described before (ex jedivong). I changed all the lines in the model_default.skin to jedivong like mentioned before. I added the appropriate line to the npcs.cfg file which I copied from the assets0.pk3 from the ext_data folder. Now this has all the npcs in there not just the new ones. I took this ext_data folder sent to compressed file,renamed to pk3 and put in the base directory. I do get an error about shader images not found when I spawn but the models show up Ok. Where do you put the custom sounds for the new characters (ie sounds/char/jedivong/misc so the new charater uses them? I realize you have to change the npcs snd values and the animsounds.cfg but I can't get the custom sounds to work

drjimmy515
07-17-2002, 02:05 PM
If you adapted your JediVong from a pre-existing skin, the custom sounds are already in your base directory. Just change the "snd" values in the npcs.cfg to read the name of the sounds directory for the orginal skin/model ("Vong", for instance). There should be no need to modify the animsounds.cfg, just be sure it's in your JediVong player folder. It'll still link to whatever sounds the original Vong model uses.

Kit Fisto
07-17-2002, 03:22 PM
Thank you Darth_Gamegod, your guide really helped. I finaly got it working ;)

Darth_Gamegod
07-17-2002, 07:44 PM
No problemo :D

Gram_Reaper
07-18-2002, 03:25 AM
londo what line did you add to the npcs.cfg file that wasnt in there and if you did , did that help them to spawn. Cause im still having truble lol

Gram_Reaper
07-18-2002, 06:46 AM
drjimmy, im going to poke around with your mod to see the stuff you used in the pk3 you gave me to get your guys to spawn. Thanks for the mod too

-Chrono_MOT-
07-18-2002, 07:24 AM
just wanted to let you all know that while stud may have you thinking he had the idea about custom animations, he's full of it.

SilentMobius came up with the idea/concept of it, and he's not even sure it works. He says it will work in theory.

STOP taking credit for other people's work man! And if you're not intentionally doing it at LEAST put their name in as the person who came up with it!

Londo Mollari
07-18-2002, 09:39 AM
Drjimmy the only thing in my base folder is the pk3 that contains the modified npcs.cfg file. Do I put the custom sounds in here or elsewhere? As for the modification I changed both kyle models to jan in the npcs.cfg file and kyle shows up as jan when spawned and in the cutscenes but the player still is the kyle model

Londo Mollari
07-18-2002, 10:07 AM
munro
{
fullName "Katarn, Kyle"
playerModel jan
surfOff "torso_vest hips_chaps torso_computer head_goggles torso_comp hips_belt"
surfOn "torso_augment_off hips_augment_off hips_torso_off"
saberColor blue
reactions 4
aim 5
move 3
aggression 5
evasion 5
intelligence 5
playerTeam player
// race human
class jan
snd jan
}

Kyle
{
fullName "Katarn, Kyle"
playerModel jan
surfOff "torso_vest hips_chaps torso_computer head_goggles torso_comp hips_belt"
surfOn "torso_augment_off hips_augment_off hips_torso_off"
saberColor blue
reactions 4
aim 5
move 3
aggression 5
evasion 5
intelligence 5
playerTeam player
// race human
class jan
snd jan
sndcombat jan
sndjedi jan
dismemberProbHead 1
dismemberProbArms 1
dismemberProbHands 20
dismemberProbLegs 1
dismemberProbWaist 1
}

drjimmy515
07-18-2002, 10:54 AM
Londo, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. Are you trying to get npc and cutscene Kyle to be Jan? You know changing Kyle's info to Jan in the npcs.cfg won't change your player character...

But anyway, with the Vong question.... I assumed you already had the skin/model pk3 you converted your npc from in the base folder, which would allow you to in essence "link" to this skins custom sound folder (if any). If you want to use your own custom sounds, just make a path "sound/chars/yourmodelname/misc and put your sounds here (include this folder in your mod pk3). Then fill in yourmodelname for the snd, sndcombat, and sndjedi entries. Bear in mind if you're only using a custom taunt or something, you'll need to add the rest of the sounds. Just extract whoever's sounds you want from assets1 and put them in the folder as well.

Londo Mollari
07-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Thanks Drj I make a new sound.pk3 file with all the custom sounds in it and it worked great so now I have a sound pk3 and a npc.pk3 in the base folder. One thing I found interesting is the game ignores any suroff's in the base/model/players folders. (ex. jarjar had gauntlets on when I spawned him eventhough the surface was off in the model_default.surf file. However when I put the line in the npcs.cfg file of the npc.pk3 jarjar was "fixed" had to do the same for leia as boushh and the gungan model. Yep I was struggling with the age old question of playing as nekkid jan. Question.. if I remamed the npcs.cfg file in the npc.pk3 file to newnpc.cfg and included only the "new"spawnable models would the game read both? Right now my npcs.cfg file has all the originals npcs as well as the new ones and I've read that there is a limit to how many you can put in there. I tried making the separate new npcs folder as in emon's tutorial but that didn't work for me. Sure love listening to jarjar as I hack him apart with a saber

Gram_Reaper
07-18-2002, 12:37 PM
Hey, is someone working on a huge NPC mod with all the models and mabye some skins

drjimmy515
07-18-2002, 12:59 PM
Londo, JK2 won't recognize whatever.cfg, but it will recognize whatever.npc. So if you want to make a separate entry for each custom npc or put all of the new characters in just one, go ahead and put them in an .npc file(s). Stick this in ext_data just as you would an npcs.cfg, and the game will read both. Using .npc files avoids having to update the entire .cfg file and you won't have to worry about knocking out different mods that utilize the npcs.cfg.

The limit I reported earlier (still unconfirmed by anyone else) seems to occur at the 60th new npc (as in additional to the default npcs), but as far as I can tell it makes no difference whether the new npcs' entries are all in the npcs.cfg or in one or several .npc files, or both - the limit is still in effect.

Gram_Reaper
07-19-2002, 12:12 AM
Hey Guys I got it working finally, but i had to delete Desann to VAder Mod

Lord Ignasius
07-19-2002, 01:24 AM
Gram I am making my mod and it will be released as open beta today.

Chrono i am sorry I never took ownership of the findings I said someone found out some stuff on the modelling forum that I presented over here to get more people to see it and help out

Red Devil
07-19-2002, 03:50 AM
Hello all i made a npc mod

you can download my one you can have
Vader
Robeless_maul
obi-wan
jarjar
dooku
jango_fett
boba_fett
windu
anakin
diablo the guy on the diablo 2 cd case
jan with saber

the new npc's are
RebornVader :deathstar
RebornBoba
RebornJango :fett:
RebornDooku
RebornMaul
RebornDiablo
JediJarJar
JediAnakin
JediObiWan
JediWindu
Jedirf jan with saber

if there is a npc you want added just email me at Red Devil Red Devil (gunnut14@msn.com)

if you want it tell me your email and ill send it

just need to thank the others who made the skins

Red Devil :jawa

Lord Ignasius
07-19-2002, 03:59 AM
This isn't a thread for promoting your mod, it is for improving on custom npc modding as a whole

Londo Mollari
07-19-2002, 09:50 AM
Thank You DrJimmy I got it to work using the npc.npc file

ronbrothers
07-19-2002, 12:41 PM
This is great! And it's not that hard to do once you get the hang of it.

Question: the class may not permit it, but I'm trying to get a NPC to spawn empty handed, yet have forcepowers. This would be good for a TESB Yoda which did not yield a lightsaber or a Emporer Palpatine which did not appear to have a lightsaber in ROTJ. Does anyone think this is possible?

Lord Ignasius
07-20-2002, 01:03 AM
To do one like that you will have to use scripting in a map. It can't be spawned in-game. So you would use the updated .def's for sp that I have. If you don't have it e-mail me. I am also going to upload it to jediknightii.net

Darth_Gamegod
07-20-2002, 02:09 AM
Anyone know if its possible to give custom npc's there own saber sound effects?

For example.

Give Vader, the old trilogy style sound effects. But

Give Qui-GonJinn and Obi the episode 1 style saber sounds.

Couldent you just take the sounds put them in your sound folder, then edit the animsounds.cfg by adding the lines in and the new directory for the saber sounds. I assume there is a line command that you can add for the saber sounds.

Just curious:D

Gram_Reaper
07-20-2002, 05:40 AM
hey, im having truoble getting jarjar into the game under prisonerjarjar. He just doesnt spawn. If i could use ugnaughtjarjar and just switch the player teams would that do it

Lord Ignasius
07-24-2002, 11:59 AM
I got jarjar in using st and then setting his class to imperial.

He is agianst you but he puts his hands up in danger unless he can get a weapon