PDA

View Full Version : NPC Mod Pack 1 released.

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:12 AM
I just made a nice new mod for everyone that should prolong SP game life (and provide some very interesting TC opportunities in the future for anyone who needs my help).

This neato mod allows you to spawn four new Jedi into the game. Count Dooku is also included in the npcs.cfg however he isn't working right now so you'll have to wait for the second release.

The following are the Jedi you can spawn to help you (in addition to Luke, Jedi, Jedi2, Jedi Trainer, and Jedi F):

Mace Windu
Anakin Skywalker
Plo Koon
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Coming next release:

Chewie
Aayla Secura
Count Dooku (as enemy)
Vader (as enemy)

There will be several releases so I recommend you grab them all in succession or you will not have a working version (if you download the latest without downloading the first one).

Screenies, of course:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dortiz2k1/shot0020.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dortiz2k1/shot0021.jpg

I'm also taking suggestions on other NPCs (preferably Jedi as putting regular NPCs right now is rather tricky for me :P) I should add in future expansion packs.
Enjoy! (as soon as they put it up ^_^)

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:14 AM
and for anyone that's wondering why this is in the modeling thread it's because in future packs I'm going to be updating it with the proper Obi-Wan/Anakin/Mace/Plo/Yoda/Kit/etc models, so I wanted to keep Kinja and co. aware of what I was doing.

t3rr0r
07-10-2002, 11:16 AM
so you figured out the whole new individual npc idea?

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:18 AM
pretty much, yea. I'm pretty familiar with it (though I'm not incredibly saavy with it just yet ^_^) but near as I can tell you should be able to add quite a few new npcs without breaking the game. I think there's room for about 30 or so without killing it completely. I'd be careful though, if you spawn more entities than is coded on a map the game will crash in SP.

t3rr0r
07-10-2002, 11:20 AM
hmm... maybe if you made a spawnable jango or boba, you could give them desann-esque force jump as their only power, yet they'd have a weapon.

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Jango's next on my list too :P

t3rr0r
07-10-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by -Chrono_MOT-
Jango's next on my list too :P
consider my force jump idea, won't you? :D

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:31 AM
I'll have to see, because editing their force powers...

never mind it just came to my head I could give them force jump no problem. just requires some editing of their bot file. ok.

I'm on this :P

HEY! Get that battle droid out so we can release a Geonosis Arena mod!

t3rr0r
07-10-2002, 11:33 AM
HEY! Get that battle droid out so we can release a Geonosis Arena mod!
preferably silentmobius', since the polycount is lower than the others. :o

studman0201
07-10-2002, 11:44 AM
Chrono to give them force change their class.

to class tavion
or desann
or reborn
or luke

that changes their force abilities, just find one that works best

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 11:46 AM
I already asked him about it. Hopefully he gets it out soon so we can have some REAL fun (and so I can post some awesome screens with like 20 Jedi and 40 battle droids :P)

So far all the Jedi that are spawnable in-game:

Luke
Jedi
Jedi 2
Female Jedi
Jedi Trainer
Obi-Wan
Anakin
Mace Windu
Plo Koon

If I could get my hands on it I will do Chewie and Han next pack just for kicks :P

I want to add the following in the coming weeks though:

Darth Maul
Dooku
Exar Kun
Tyrion
Qui-Gon (when the model comes out)
Ki-Adi Mundi (ditto)
Aurra Sing
Mara Jade
Aayla Secura
Kit Fisto
Coleman Trebor
Yoda

Stay updated, because my mod is going to be standard updates (rather than sporadic updates like other mods), with every release working with the one before it (unlike other expansions, which are just written to work by itself).

studman0201
07-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Chrono I got a Sith Tyrion, a Jango, a Chewie(enemy tho), and a Jedi Tyrion working that I can send to you

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 12:05 PM
oh I have all of em. I just have to have time to implement them all into my next NPC code. Should be fairly easy now that it doesn't take me all night to figure out how to get them working. But unforunately you have to change the directory name with my mod :( so that's where all the hard work comes in ^_^. So that way, no one has to do all the work themselves! ^_^

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:11 PM
I am working on a grenade user. also chrono currently a friendly bowcaster user doesn't work. I think an enemy with the prefix gran creates a grenade user

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 12:14 PM
near as I can tell you should be able to add quite a few new npcs without breaking the game. I think there's room for about 30 or so without killing it completely. I'd be careful though, if you spawn more entities than is coded on a map the game will crash in SP.

It took me quite a while last night, but I made such a mod with about 50 (and counting) different npcs. (works using either edited npcs.cfg or custom.npc). Hasn't killed anything yet. I'd be happy to send some screens of the mass chaos battle royale to anyone who'll host them - generate some more excitement for Chrono's mods. :)

PIo Koon
07-10-2002, 12:18 PM
Chrono great ideas man...can't wait for release

BTW..i see u want Coleman Trebor in it...were u wanting to use my model?

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Chrono I got a JarJar npc working. He puts his hands up when he sees you. I will send him to you if you want.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:33 PM
Also Chrono I think I could be part of the team. I can work on another release of the pack or sumthin with people that you haven't done. So the mod could be completed quicker

Emon
07-10-2002, 12:34 PM
Well, you can use NPC spawn xxxx for the new NPC, but they won't appear in the entities menu, and it's impossible to spawn them using ICARUS, so new entries are useless, you gotta replace old ones for it to be really useful. :(

studman0201
07-10-2002, 12:50 PM
Actually Chang said it is possible to spawn npcs in a map with a script so dont be mister it is impossible

Emon
07-10-2002, 12:53 PM
You can spawn NPCs using entity scripts, but you can't spawn completely NEW NPCs, because they do not show up in Radiant, SP entities are hard coded, so we're screwed. There's also no ICARUS commands to spawn new NPCs, gah, I hate closed source! :mad:

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 12:55 PM
Useless for now maybe, but a lot fun for just spawning and playing around with anyway :)

As a mod, it's pretty simple (compared to custom sabers, changed animation, etc.) - kind of along the lines of an SP conversion. Once the prefixes and values that can be changed are fully explored and shared, it'll probably be easier for those who have the ability to just create their own custom npc packs using the characters they want and already have.

Along those lines, Chrono, are you planning on including the skin textures in the pack? I could see how these things could get real big in filesize... Though if you just include modified folders and .npc files with linked .skin files, some may not have the patience or understanding to download the original skinpacks. Hmmm...

Emon
BTW, changing the key or whatever in the entity window to like NPC_Wookiee doesn't work either. :(

studman0201
Chang said custom npcs are possible he said to use a script.
I am not familiar with scripts so i didn't go further. But it is possible

Emon
07-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Um, no.

Either one of two things:

1. You misunderstood him.

2. Chang forgot that we don't have access to the SP source, as he so often seems to do.

jipe
07-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Interesting discovery, even if it's only semi-useful.

And no, studman, there is no icarus command to spawn anything - trust me, I've looked.

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Well Ill ask him again and be specific. I will also send my new npc with it

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:02 PM
Good luck, but I think he's on vacation for the summer. :(

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:04 PM
No because I e-mailed him yesterday and he replied

studman0201
07-10-2002, 01:07 PM
BTW Chrono MT I have a jarjar with no weapon and a Gungan with a thermal that I would gladly include in your mod.

JarJar puts his hands up when he sees you.

Gungan also Punches You if your too close. Reply about this please

Emon
07-10-2002, 01:11 PM
Alright. I had e-mailed him a week or two ago, just got a vacation auto response.

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 01:52 PM
Here are a few screenies of my custom npc crowd, just to illustrate the coolness possible:

You may have to cut+ paste the links into a new browser to get them working....

(I give them about one hour before the geocities transfer limit clamps down...)

The Good
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood3.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood4.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood5.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood6.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thegood7.jpg

The Bad
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/thebad.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/npckillall.jpg

Mini-Battle Royale
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/battle1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/battle2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/battle3.jpg

Misc
http://www.geocities.com/jk2mayhem/rematch.jpg

Thanks to the skinners and modelers who make this stuff possible! :)

pud1
07-10-2002, 04:57 PM
ok
1. damn u have a nice system, mine looks like crap and would prolly crash if i spawned 10 npcs. The colors and fps is great.

2. wow, thats alot of good guys
3. Psylocke with a lightsaber turns me on(x-men fan)
4. i wanna do that!

C]-[33S3/\/\@N
07-10-2002, 06:48 PM
The thread title says released, am i in danger of seeing a link for a D/L anytime soon?

BTW: Great job in advance, ive been holding my breath for someone with the skills to actually be nice enough to release a pack such as this

Cheers

volrathxp
07-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Emon
Well, you can use NPC spawn xxxx for the new NPC, but they won't appear in the entities menu, and it's impossible to spawn them using ICARUS, so new entries are useless, you gotta replace old ones for it to be really useful. :(

what about maybe editing the def files for radiant? maybe then you could spawn it within radiant and talk to it with scripts. or am i shooting in the dark here...

:D

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 08:03 PM
OK some quick details about it:

The mod itself includes all the necessary skinpacks/models for you to use this, as they include edited directorys that the new npc file points to. The NPC file is called jedipack1.npc and all concurrent versions after the first one will have an updated npc packfile with the models listed in it. I did it this way to make it easier to download, and also to make it easier to upgrade.

I also did it this way because I want people to download all of them and have all of them, not just one of them. I may still do it to where each upgrade contains a separate packfile for the NPCs but that would be downright pointless to calling it an NPC mod if each one could be downloaded individually. Tell me what you guys think:

1. Make it so that each version requires the one before it
2. Make it so that each version is stand-alone

Oh yes and I would currently like to make an NPC team where we can release these sorts of things so I don't have to be the only one doing it ^_^.

crazy_elmo
07-10-2002, 09:23 PM
I would go for option 1. Otherwise the size of the file would also grow far to big. And this way you are sure everybody has all the stuff, and not only some parts.

BTW, I think this is a great idea, hope to see the release soon.

drjimmy515
07-10-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by pud1
ok
1. damn u have a nice system, mine looks like crap and would prolly crash if i spawned 10 npcs. The colors and fps is great.

2. wow, thats alot of good guys
3. Psylocke with a lightsaber turns me on(x-men fan)
4. i wanna do that!

Hardly... PIII800 with a 32 Mb GeForce 1 and set to high detail.... don't ask me how it works... :cool:

Chrono, a few things,

By #2, each version standing alone, do you mean each pack containing all of the npcs in previous versions as well? How would any version "require" other versions, other than in the sense that you'd be missing out on some characters?

Either way, the only reasonable way to do it seems to be to release individual packs with different characters. If you just kept adding more and more characters to the same pack it would balloon in size real quickly, and people would always have to re-download a whole huge mod each time a new release is made. My ~50 character mod is about 10Mb and that's with linking all of the textures. If I had packed the textures as well, it would probably be around 35-40 Mb.

In this light, I have to say that forming a team to create an ongoing slew of custom npcs WILL constitute an endless project, and result in a lot of huge mods. Not to be a downer, but I think releasing a couple cool modpacks initially, and developing the practice and ultimately creating a comprehensive tutorial (including all the prefixes and the effects of known variables) should be the goal. That way, with the released modpacks people will be able to see if they like custom npcs, and hopefully use that as an example in conjuction with the tutorial to create their own custom npcs with skins and models they already have - thereby saving a lot of space.

Maybe once this becomes an understood practice, skinners and modelers will even include their own custom npc using texture linking with their releases. After all, they if anyone, should have the most license to determine the character's traits, just as in botfiles. As to the little debate in general editing about who deserves credit for these modpacks, I'd say studman and chang deserve a shout for proposing the "st" prefix idea, as do others in that first thread for getting it working and immediately figuring out some other prefixes. New tricks and prefixes will definitely be discovered, so kudos to those who take the time to try stuff out. However, I'm kind of uncomfortable with the idea of one or two people "holding the rights" to the custom npc practice. Ultimately, it pretty much amounts to MP-SP character conversion with a few more variables - as far as artistry goes, most of the credit should go to the skinners/modelers IMHO. Of course, if someone wants to take the time to assemble and release a custom npc pack, they of course deserve credit for their efforts and time spent :)

Just my (long) two cents...

-Chrono_MOT-
07-10-2002, 10:44 PM
No, by #1 being requiring previous versions I mean if you download chrono.zip and unzip 5 jedi with the jedipack.npc file, and you want to use the 10 jedi that are in the new version, you will have needed to download the first version to spawn them. So no, I don't mean including all of them in one pack. I'm not that crazy.

by #2 I mean just adding a separate NPC file for each version released, rather than having one NPC (which is more streamlined) file you have a separate control file for each pack. Which means you could have a JEDI pack, a BOUNTY HUNTER pack, a WOOKIE pack, etc.

I personally would like to use a combination of both. Rather than have mixed NPCs in one file I want to release each one as a separate add-on, with different control files. BUT if you want to have all the ones in a particular category (like all the bounty hunters) you would need to have downloaded all the BHPACKS for example, for that particular group.

So in short, next release will contain 5 more jedi than the first one (to preserve file size). If you want to be able to spawn Plo, Windu, Anakin, and Obi in addition to the next 5, you need to download the mod for them first. But when the next release comes out with Bounty Hunters and such, they will have their own stand alone file and the same goes for everything else.

Jimmy, how about we form a team for this? I could take care of adding NPC Jedi and everyone who joins could take on adding particular NPCs. My eventual hope is to spawn NPCs with their own weapons, rather than using the weapon of the NPC they are based on.

Galactic Magi
07-11-2002, 12:15 AM
what no jar jar or gungan being put in? Im sure everyone would like that! (for their own reasons anyway)

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Chrono, your efforts to make this into a workable project are admirable indeed.

I think I agree with you (if I understand right) in terms of the format to release these things in. Since you can have multiple .npc files, I'd say release each one as a self-contained pack, with its own file. That should result in the least confusion.

As for joining the team, like I said above, I'd be happy to put together a custom pack or two, but in the long run it's an ongoing committment I don't think I have time for. Besides, I personally wouldn't download such a pack, because I can make my own, with my own npc settings and using .skin linking to avoid taking up space. Which is why I still think coming up with a seriously detailed comprehensive guide when we're ready and a few good sample npc packs might ultimately be a better goal. People are going to want npcs with their own settings (who's to say which characters use sabers and what their stats and fighting styles are like?), so I'd be reluctant to make anything without getting some public input first.

Anyways, I'll keep playing around with the stuff...

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 12:55 AM
I'm using skin linking I believe ^_^.

Ultimately what I'm going to do is gather up a guide as to which NPCs use what. Right now we have yet to really make any kind of packs that depict classes, so once that is decided (and we can make our own class, along with force powers and sabers and what not) we can easily update the pack to match that.

Right now we don't really have any models to work with, let alone any files that depict class...so this will have to do for now :(

Eventually, I'll get enough knowledge to write up a tutorial that will help people give NPCs their own force powers and weapons through scripting (which, without class definitions, is utterly useless).

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Oh, you are using linking? Cool. So you'll include something like a list of and links to the skinpack needed to make it work then?

Weapon X
07-11-2002, 01:40 AM
where do i download this from?

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 01:51 AM
well my definition of skinlinking may be different from yours. I have to go into the SKIN file and edit the directories because you have to alter the directory to say "jediBLAHBLAH" when you pk3 it up. this creates some skinning problems, because in some folders I guess it calls for a skin that doesn't exist. either way, the only way I know how to do it right now is to edit the skinfile to point to the correct directory :(

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 02:00 AM
Chrono, do you need correct scales for everyone?

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 02:04 AM
Gotcha, Chrono. Yeah I guess I did pull the term out of nowhere. :rolleyes:

What I meant, and what I use for my own mod, is creating a new models/players folder for each character with the desired prefix, and including in that folder the sounds, .glm, .skin, and .surf files - basically everything but the textures. This way the .skin file can remain unaltered and "links" instead to the existing textures in the original skinpack in your base folder. For personal npc packs it's easier than changing each line of the .skin file (just extract the skin pk3 to the npc pack folder, rename this and delete the .jpgs). Though obviously it doesn't work if you don't already have the original skinpack installed to link to... so for ready-to-go npc mod packs, it's not really applicable.

Gram_Reaper
07-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Sweet work Chrono, I got one question to ask, do they just run around and do nothing. or do they attack if there evil. If that makes any sense

drjimmy515
07-11-2002, 03:07 AM
They work like normal npcs - depending on how their alignments are set, they'll either attack you, or support you (attack enemies). I haven't tried any neutral ones yet though...

Gram_Reaper
07-11-2002, 03:12 AM
Yeah, it would be pretty tricky to do nuetral guys

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Matt Shoemaker
Chrono, do you need correct scales for everyone?

yes.

and yes, depending on how you set their levels NPCs will act differently according to rank. A captain ranked jedi will survive longer than a lt ranked jedi (captain is what desann is set to). Their mannerisms are all dependent on class. If you set someone's class to shadowtrooper for example, they will cloak (and obviously be evil) when not attacking.

I set Plo and Mace to Captain, and anakin to lt. Obi-Wan is set on ltcomm. Plo and Mace have no problems beating Tavion, but Obi-Wan and Anakin had to work together to beat her :P

Hmm...I see. But the thing I'm aiming for in my mods is to include the actual NPCs, models and all. That way you don't have to download the models, THEN download the mods.

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 04:08 AM
Chrono, sent you a PM. Hope it helps.

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 04:24 AM
it did, thanks I'll be implementing these soon (jediknightii is holding off because I sent them two separate files and they don't like "mixing").

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 04:44 AM
Great. Would it be too much to ask for maybe a mention in the readme or something?

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 05:01 AM

yes.

and yes, depending on how you set their levels NPCs will act differently according to rank. A captain ranked jedi will survive longer than a lt ranked jedi (captain is what desann is set to). Their mannerisms are all dependent on class. If you set someone's class to shadowtrooper for example, they will cloak (and obviously be evil) when not attacking.

I set Plo and Mace to Captain, and anakin to lt. Obi-Wan is set on ltcomm. Plo and Mace have no problems beating Tavion, but Obi-Wan and Anakin had to work together to beat her :P

Hmm...I see. But the thing I'm aiming for in my mods is to include the actual NPCs, models and all. That way you don't have to download the models, THEN download the mods.

Chrono,i need some help with a mod im making....im not making new NPC's....but im trying to replace some...i replaced jedi with anakin....and jedi2 with plo koon...but jedi 2 STILL shows up like the normal jedi two....sept he has NO HEAD AND HIS EYES FLOAT!
lol...
another problem....i installed the desann to vader thing.....and deleted it....but my desann still show's as vader,sounds like vader,and has vaders saber even AFTER replacing it with someone new.....i wanna replace it with dooku or Rawg....but i cant because of this.

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by SithBrakiss

Chrono,i need some help with a mod im making....im not making new NPC's....but im trying to replace some...i replaced jedi with anakin....and jedi2 with plo koon...but jedi 2 STILL shows up like the normal jedi two....sept he has NO HEAD AND HIS EYES FLOAT!
lol...

Go into the npcs.cfg file, find Jedi2 and delete the surfOn and surfOff stuff for him.

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 05:22 AM
k....only one problem...it still doesnt work.

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 05:44 AM
Ok, do both skins use the same model? If so you can rename one of the skin files to model_jedi2.skin or something and then put it in the Jedi model's fold and assign Jedi2 to the custom skin.

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 05:45 AM
nope..Jedi is Anakin,and Jedi2 is Plo Koon

studman0201
07-11-2002, 05:52 AM
Brakiss do you have mainframe in your base folder cuz that changes desann to vader

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 06:06 AM
THANK YOU STUDMAN!
but i still cant fix the plokoon/jedi2 problem

studman0201
07-11-2002, 06:15 AM
try renaming plo kloons's files to model_j2.skin

I remember in mp the jedi2 skin is j2. so try playing around with j2 as a skin placed in the same directory as the regular jedi replacement

Sounds Risky
07-11-2002, 06:24 AM
Here's an idea then. The Plo Koon skin is a skin of the Imperial Worker correct? Take the Plo Koon .skin file and rename it to model_plo.skin and put it into the Imperial Worker's folder. In the npcs.cfg file find Jedi2. Change the model to the imperial worker (however it's written in there) and add customskin plo. That could work.

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 06:39 AM
What's your email? As soon as the computer its on is working I will email you my mod so you can just install it and spawn plo and anaking separately. If you are desperate to get them in game make ABSOLUTELY sure that every file corresponding to him in model/players/plokoon is zipped up into the directory called model/players/jedi2 and the same for anakin (model/players/jedi). This way you ensure the skins are there correctly and zipped up.

Alternatively, you can do as what was suggested. Put all of Plo's skins in there and edit the npcs.cfg - your choice.

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 06:44 AM
k....
Voltron2077@yahoo.com
can you just send the stuff to make plokoon spawn,cause i dont want it changing other things,i have the Tyrion obi wan skin....and some others,so i dont wanna mess it up

-Chrono_MOT-
07-11-2002, 07:50 AM
coming your way (plo only, with plo's NPC file. there are no other jedi per your request).

SithBrakiss
07-11-2002, 08:17 AM
Chrono,whats the command to spawn him?

Gram_Reaper
07-15-2002, 09:03 AM
how do you just change a npc sp model, to a multiplayer model

ex
desann-vader

or is it too complicated to explain?

drjimmy515
07-15-2002, 11:35 AM
um... why don't you just download the Vader model for MP?

http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=111

Gram_Reaper
07-15-2002, 01:04 PM
no i was just using that as an example of how to put them into single player by replacing npcs

Gram_Reaper
07-15-2002, 01:14 PM
But could you just take any multiplayer model and switch them with a single player npc and have them in game. and do this all by yourself without having to download premade ones

drjimmy515
07-15-2002, 01:32 PM
By "premade" ones, you mean a pre-made custom npc, right? Sure, you can change any skin/model into an npc, and you don't even have to replace old ones to do it. Obviously, you have to download or already have the skin/model you want to convert.

There's lots of info on how to do this in the general editing forum, mostly in the "custom npcs are possible" thread.

Gram_Reaper
07-15-2002, 01:36 PM
ok thanks man:imp:

K.O
07-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Lol.. Well no one's gotten an answer yet so I guess I'll try...
You said it's released... Where is it? :D