PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Joruus C'baoth

Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 01:10 AM
Joruus C'baoth is a Dark Jedi from the Timothy Zahn novels. I just started on the head last night, and it is by no means finished.

Pics here:

http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/

Delmar
07-12-2002, 01:16 AM
looking good so far. what kind of outfit will he be wearing?

nucular_jedi_14
07-12-2002, 01:22 AM
nice a bearded dude!
btw he kinda looks like Gandalf from J.R.R. Tolkeins Lord Of The Rings Books And Movies

Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 01:42 AM
He will be wearing a brown cloak. Check out the reference pic at the bottom of the site. And, He does kinda remind me of Gandalf.

Delmar
07-12-2002, 03:20 AM
oh cool.. he definitely has a gandalf/saruman feel to him

Grets Sirob
07-12-2002, 07:25 AM
Hey!
It's Joruus.
Sweet.
You'll have to skin him so he looks like Gandalf and Saruman(don'tk now why, just cause I guess...)

:emperor: I shall rule the galaxy.

Emon
07-12-2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Delmar
oh cool.. he definitely has a gandalf/saruman feel to him

That's exactly what kind of character Joruus is.

Great work, are you gonna make a Jorus C'Baoth model, too? Oh, wait, he'd be identicle, nevermind. ;)

Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the praise guys. And for those who don't know Joruus is an insane clone of the Jedi Master Jorus who was born 100 years before A New Hope.

TUX
07-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Wow... Great model! Timothy Zahn's EU is the best. Anybody working on a Noghri (sp?)?

darthweaver
07-12-2002, 10:59 PM
looking good. on the covers of the books, he is always wearing a brown robe with nothing underneath it.oh and remeber to add the medalion thing which is round his neck ;)

t3rr0r
07-12-2002, 11:01 PM
don't forget to utilise shaders w/ alpha maps on the beard, when it comes to skinning. i'm sure major clod could assist in that area, with the wookiee and all. :D

Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 11:44 PM
My Main reference for this model is the cover of Heir to the Empire.
I've started work on the robe and I added the medallion he has around his neck. The shaders for the beard sounds like a great idea. I'll look into it.

Darth Vigrid
07-12-2002, 11:47 PM
Updated Pics:

Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 03:59 PM
I did alot more work on the robes and some more on the hair. Still have some more details to do.

Check out the new images:

What do you think?

nucular_jedi_14
07-13-2002, 04:02 PM
i love it!

Horrorz2002
07-13-2002, 04:04 PM
Looking amazing so far, keep up the good work! I can't wait to chop people in half by the dozens with my "old decrepit" Jedi master!

moooa
07-13-2002, 06:14 PM
It's looking very good but whydo u make the robe with 2 part (like a pant). Why do u not make it in 1 part (like monmothma)

moooa

Harukaze
07-13-2002, 10:39 PM
I think his robes actually are supposed to be divided. My friend has the comic, which I'll check out, although it's hardly accurate [Khabarak, for example, was larger than Leia in one scene, and they're supposed to be roughly child-sized]. It's impossible to say on the cover to the book, because heads are blocking him from the waist down. Perhaps some other art will help shed light on that. Either way, in game, it will probably work better for him to have the split-robe design.

StarViperPilot
07-13-2002, 11:13 PM
Nice!!!:cool: One suggestion, he doesn't look angry/stern :mad: enough. But I know your not finished so maybe you were going to change that anyway...

genthar
07-13-2002, 11:43 PM
Good work Vigrid! There's alway room for a loopy dark Jedi to run about with delusions of universal domination.

Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 11:54 PM
From all the pics I've seen of him I think his robes were always divided. But, I might attach it and just see what looks best. I agree that the face does need some more anger in it, to look more like the cover of the book.

Darth Vigrid
07-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Oh, and Harukaze if you can give me anymore pics/information from the comics that would be great. I don't have any pictures of him from behind and I'm still trying to figure out what the back of his hair should look like.

Harukaze
07-14-2002, 01:47 AM
You don't want to use the comics as reference for his hair. The artist was really very untalented, it was sad.

As for the back of his hair, I'd say go with mid-lower back length. Not quite to his waist, but close to it. That's just my opinion though, but it's fitting in with how long he let his beard get.

Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 02:02 AM
Thanks, That sounds like a good length for the hair.

Kstar__2
07-14-2002, 02:02 AM
cool!

Xyphox
07-14-2002, 04:39 AM
Nice model! You're doing a great job. BTW I love your avatar. Cecil from FFIV!

Harukaze
07-14-2002, 06:25 AM
*grins* Glad you said four, otherwise I'd have to hurt you :)

Got any skinners lined up yet, btw? I am admittedly just a novice but I'm learning more by the day . I could seriously see the default skin pack containing a skin for Jorus C'baoth [I]and Joruus C'baoth. I'm not sure team support could be pulled off without an overabundance of cheese [sorry, to my mind, it doesn't seem like Master C'baoth, either one, would walk around in a red or a blue robe, and anything more subtle might be too subtle for team gameplay]. If you already have someone lined up, maybe could I at least try my hand at the Jorus skin?

spacermonkey
07-14-2002, 06:28 AM
he looks good, why not have a few polys hanging over his face then using some opacity to turn them into whispy hair like in the drawing.
:)

Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 06:48 AM
I was gonna try to skin Joruus myself, though I still have alot to learn. Harukaze, if you wanted to do a Jorus skin that would be great. I still have some more work to do on the model itself. When that is finished, I'll let you know. Maybe the team skins can be a different character all together like Chesire did with his Darth Maul. Thanks for the suggestion spacermonkey, I'm still working on the hair.

By the way have you made any skins before, Harukaze. If not, then that's fine, I haven't either, I was just wondering.

NerfYoda
07-14-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Harukaze
*grins* Glad you said four, otherwise I'd have to hurt you :)

Got any skinners lined up yet, btw? I am admittedly just a novice but I'm learning more by the day . I could seriously see the default skin pack containing a skin for Jorus C'baoth [I]and Joruus C'baoth. I'm not sure team support could be pulled off without an overabundance of cheese [sorry, to my mind, it doesn't seem like Master C'baoth, either one, would walk around in a red or a blue robe, and anything more subtle might be too subtle for team gameplay]. If you already have someone lined up, maybe could I at least try my hand at the Jorus skin?

Dumb request: add a Charleton Heston style Moses skin to the model. :) Moses using the force & lightsabers = funny & this model is perfect for it. :)

Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Thanks Xyphox, good to see a fellow FFIV fan!

Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 09:27 AM
I'll probably just stick with Star Wars type characters for the first release. Once I get better at skinning I could maybe do a skinpack, as I know there are alot of bearded/robed characters out there.

Harukaze
07-14-2002, 07:28 PM
*sheeps* I don't have anything released yet, no. I started off by editing existing skins, but thanks to Chesire I was able to get to work on a skin straight off the wire-frame. Let me tell you, I've learned so much more from doing that than any skin editing I could have done, and I'm glad I never embarassed myself by releasing a modified skin like that. Some people have and, no offense intended, they're really not nearly as nice as the fresh, entirely new ones.

My current project, the male Zabrak, is exactly like what you described for Joruus: each team color skin is a different character altogether. Coincidently enough it uses the Maul model you mentioned ^_^ Maybe by tonight check out the skinning forum for a screenshot of what I've accomplished; what's there thus far is nothing special, but I'm working on another update today. I think those pictures there are before I discovered the wonders of charcoal, so it's really a lot more flat than he is now.

Oh, and since you're also a novice to this, I'll give you advice I just discovered. Lighting sucks. Badly. So, whatever it is you're doing, make it much more overly obvious than you normally would, otherwise you're going to get nowhere. After I first got a texture to look like cloth, I was so psyched, thinking it would look so amazing in-game. Got it in-game, and it looked almost as flat as when I had had him entirely without texture.

Anyway for the skins for this model. I think it's a good idea for you to do team colors for Joruus, but if you don't mind, I'll release Jorus without team colors. They'll be similar enough to begin with [although I look forward to seeing our differences in design; I've already got something in mind to distinguish Jorus from Joruus] that doing additional team colors might be redundant. Once you're done with the model, let me know, and maybe we can discuss some skinning ideas, conceptually and actual design-wise.

Lucko Mabri
07-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Wow Amazing! :D

-Lucko Mabri

Darth Vigrid
07-14-2002, 11:51 PM
I worked a little more on the model last night. I made the hair longer in the back and I think it is at a good length. The bottom of his robe still needs some work.

Harukaze, that all sounds great. Team support really isn't necessary for Jorus. I usually don't play team CTF seeing as how my labtop isn't too powerful, I usually just duel. I do realize that other people will want it though so it will be included with Joruus. Thanks for the texturing advice, everything looks different ingame. I checked out your Male Zabrak thread (and the pictures without the charcoal) and its looking pretty good. I check back there later for your updated shots.

Pics updated:

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 12:41 AM
I'm nearing completion on the actual model itself, but I have one question. Are the bones included in the polygon count of the model?

With the bones I have a count over 4,000.
Without the bones the count is 2500.

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 02:25 AM
I've finished the actual modeling and am going to start with all the technical stuff (weighting, UVW mapping).

Updated pics:

What do you think?

Master Burner
07-16-2002, 02:45 AM
its awesome!!! any idea when you are finished?? looks like it would be fun to play as him in SP ;)

adillon
07-16-2002, 03:13 AM
darth vigrid -

you're model is *BLEEP* amazing! i'm so impressed by how quickly you cranked it out, too.

although i'm unfamiliar with this character and his background, but to be able to play as a character who's an insane clone of a jedi knight is awesome! you just gotta have some insane laughter/sounds/taunts for him.

keep up the great work! can't wait to see its progression.

Volkie
07-16-2002, 03:14 AM
I can see this model is going to be very popular,good work so far, you are obviously a very skilled artist

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 03:24 AM
Wow thanks, This is my first model and I'm happy with the way it has turned out so far. As for the release date, I'm not sure. I still have to get him ingame and skinned.

adillon
07-16-2002, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Darth Vigrid
This is my first model

your FIRST model?! wow! you could've said it was your 30th and i would've believed you. it's just that great!

good luck with all you have left to do ... and keep us posted on your progress!

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 07:05 AM
Today, my computer decided it wanted to crash and I had to format my hard drive, so I lost all my files, including my model. I'm just going to have to restart it, and hey maybe it will come out even better. Hopefully, it won't take me too long. Don't worry, I won't give up on it.

At least I've learned an important lesson (Always back up your files).

Harukaze
07-16-2002, 10:32 AM
*dies*

Darth Vigrid
07-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Don't worry. This just pushes the release a few days back. It really didn't take me to long to make, and I've learned alot since I first started. After I finished modeling, I realized I was going to have a hard time fitting it to the skeleton. This time I'm going to build my model directly on the skeleton from the root.xsi. This should shorten the process by alot. Maybe, this will all work out better in the end. Hopefully, you're still up for skinning Jorus, Harukaze.

Harukaze
07-16-2002, 06:47 PM
Absolutely! Spent the entire night on the phone. Not with whom I hoped, but a good friend none-the-less, who happens to own JO and is GM for my Star Wars campaign on campus. So *sheeps* didn't get any skinning done. Turned Maw into a single-player NIGHTMARE, so that was fun, but I didn't even TOUCH photoshop ^_^ So my own skin pack will probably not be out until the end of the weekend rather than Friday like I originally guestimated.

And I know what you mean about learning and being able to redo something new a lot faster the second time around. At one point, I completely threw out all of my Zabrak's clothing and began from a purely flat set, each piece all one color, and went from there. The results speak for themselves; it's up to the community to interpret what they say though ;) If what we saw was your first attempt at modelling, I for one cannot WAIT to see what we can expect from you this time around.

Darth Vigrid
07-17-2002, 03:44 PM
I've begun work on the head again, though I still have more work to do on it.

Updated pics:

Harukaze
07-17-2002, 06:03 PM
I definately like. He looks very dignified there, which I like. Even Joruus was a bit cultured, even if his instabilities won out in the end. Skinning ideas are definately running around in my head for our friend Jorus.

Random note, but I don't think you'll mind my bringing it up. Scheduled for 2004 is a new Zahn duology set in the prequel era and focusing a bit on the mysteries still surrounding Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth. No title and little more information than that, but I thought you'd be interested; I know I am.

Wakka Bongo
07-17-2002, 11:26 PM
WOW!!!
That Looks Great!
:D

t3rr0r
07-17-2002, 11:34 PM
wow. you new jorus head is a work of art. :eek: it surpasses the old one by far (no offence ;)). :D

Darth Vigrid
07-17-2002, 11:49 PM
Thanks, I think the new one captures his personality a bit more and the hair is more defined. I'm happy to hear about the new Zahn books. His Trilogy was absolutely my favorite out of all the Star Wars books.

Darth Vigrid
07-18-2002, 08:09 AM
I started to work on the top of the robe and I can already see that this model is probably going to turn out better than my original. The hair isn't finished though. I have to finish the robe first.

Updated Pics:

What do you think?

cROsIs**
07-18-2002, 08:13 AM
Lookin nice.

Harukaze
07-18-2002, 09:04 AM
You said you're building the model wrapped around the skeleton already, correct? Will this model be able to frown and blink and everything like most of the Raven models can? If not, no biggie, since most now don't, but I was just curious.

Gram_Reaper
07-18-2002, 09:32 AM
Haurkaze, do you know of any mp models that have came out that can blink and stuff in game?

Harukaze
07-18-2002, 10:27 AM
I haven't checked nearly all of them, but the only ones I've seen blink and flex their hands and such are the Raven crafted models. They fidget, which, to me, seems to add more life to the models. And also, as of what, a week or so ago, it's much more likely to see these models in the SP game as well. I could easily see an SP mission created with Joruus as a villain. It would be endlessly interesting to see how that fight is handled... I think it could be entirely done without Joruus using a lightsaber at all, and still have a challenge. Much akin to how Desann owns Kyle early on in the game. Yes, that would be interesting.... *ponders* Perhaps a lightsaber for minimal defense anyway, but not truly for offense.

Sorry, getting off base. I was just momentarily inspired. *grins* And still thinking about that skin. I've got him planned out perfectly in my head, and I'm itching to get started, whether or not my other project is finished yet ^_^

MaulerZ
07-18-2002, 10:35 AM
WOW!!!!! This is a great looking model I'll dl it as soon as it comes out......Vigrid GW!!!!

Darth Vigrid
07-19-2002, 02:28 AM
I think the reason most custom models aren't released with the moving facial expressions is because it is probably a long process which involves weighting the face to all of the facial bones (And there is alot of them!). Spacemonkey's tutorial says to completely ignore them, and just weight the head and face to the head and neck bones. I could be wrong about this though. I do agree though that Joruus would be much better in Single Player with facial bones. If I don't release this model with facial bones perhaps I can do a second updated version that will include them, but I don't think their absence would detract much from the model. I'm looking foward to the skinning phase as well.

Harukaze
07-19-2002, 06:27 AM
That would be wonderful, but I agree with your decision to hold off until later.

I do hope it happens someday; Joruus' insanity could be truly brought out with facial expressions, as could Jorus' relative strength and stability.

I'm off from work tomorrow, so Il'l be trying to finish up my Zabrak. I'm consider scapping the whole team support and concentrate on making one exceptional [for me anyway] skin. Not only that, but then I'll be ready to begin Jorus the moment you unwrap him.

Wow, that sounds wrong; I think I'll just end this post now.

Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 03:30 AM
The model is nearly complete. I just have a few more details to add. Here's the updated pic.

adillon
07-20-2002, 04:22 AM
wow, DV, the model is looking wonderful. maybe your computer crisis was a blessing in disguise. i actually think that this version is better than the first. ;)

my only 3 comments/questions are as follows ... :confused:

1 - can you make the cuffs slightly larger? in the model they look significantly smaller/tighter than in the sketch.

2 - based on the sketch, it seems that the opening (split) in the lower part of his robe and his belt are more situated to his left. can you possibly adjust them in the model so that they aren't centered on his body (a little more dramatic)?

3 - the model makes it look like he has a pretty big forehead ... i think he needs to have some hair falling down into his face, again like the sketch (just a little bit).

don't take these comments negatively. the model is nearing perfection ... splendid job on his facial hair. keep up the great work! :D

Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 06:25 AM
1. You're right about the cuffs, I'll make them wider.

2. I'm still working on the bottom of the robe. I'll see if the I can move the split to the side a little and see how it works out.

3. The hairline with definetely be lowered to look more like the sketch and the book. And, About the hair, does anybody know how to make shaders with alpha maps?

Thanks for the comments. Criticism is always welcome.

Harukaze
07-20-2002, 09:05 AM
No, but maybe the author of the Wookie model can help you out? Couldn't hurt to ask him.

adillon
07-20-2002, 10:01 AM
does anybody know how to make shaders with alpha maps?

i have yet to play around with anything, but check out this thread (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70148) where i gave sniper wolf some links for shader and alpha mapping tutorials.

i really hope it helps you out! :D

Darth Vigrid
07-20-2002, 01:26 PM
Cool, I'll read up on it.

Darth Vigrid
07-22-2002, 03:42 AM
I made the sleeves wider, finished up the hair, and added some more details. I'm keeping the robe split down the middle. I just think it will work better that way. I think I'm pretty much finished with the actual modeling (If you think I've missed something let me know). Still have all the technical stuff to finish.

Updated Pics:

adillon
07-22-2002, 11:07 AM
yeah, DV, Joruus is looking *BLEEP* great! the hair is looking mucho better, and i like the cuffs wider. good stuff you got there! :D

btw, did the alpha map tutorial help you out at all?

BobaFett9999
07-22-2002, 01:41 PM
:fett:

This Model will be absolutely brilliant, its a godo thing some people are up to making cool models.

I appreciate the effort you are putting in!

Just to give you another cool idea; you could make a Darth Rage Model, just image search on Google. He is sweet; he uses two lightsabers.

Well thanks again for your effort; i love new models that are actually good.

:fett:

Darth Vigrid
07-22-2002, 03:21 PM
Hey, thanks alot. I think it's safe to say my second model has turned out much better than my first, and I'm kind of glad I lost the first one. Right now I'm in the process of weighting, and then it's on to UVW mapping. Adillon, I looked at the alpha map tutorial breifly and it looked like some very helpful information (Once I start skinning I'll be sure to read the whole thing). Thanks again for the help.

remark 666
07-22-2002, 04:02 PM
damn, the page is down

Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 12:35 AM
I've weighted the model quickly to see if I could get it in-game, and I've run into a problem during assimilate.

I get the message:

Bone "ld1eff" not found
Bone "lhand_tag_bone" not found

These bones are present so I don't know what the problem is. Someone has probably had this problem before so I'll search the forum, but if anyone can help me here that would be great.

Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 02:06 PM
Anavel Gato had the same problem I had with his Padme model, so I've fixed it. I have to weight the robe agian though. Some vertices have more than 4 bones weighted to them.

Harukaze
07-23-2002, 07:14 PM
Refresh my memory... did you say you're going to need help unwrapping too?

Darth Vigrid
07-23-2002, 07:23 PM
I shouldn't need any help unwrapping it. I've never done it before, but I have some good tutorials and I think I'll be able to manage.

Darth Vigrid
07-24-2002, 03:22 AM
I got the model into ModView and it was all messed up. The torso was not even connected to the legs and alot of the body parts were floating in various places. Does anybody know what I might have done wrong? Is this just a weighting problem?

cROsIs**
07-25-2002, 11:25 PM
G
O
O
D

J
O
B

Hopes that this post begins next page.

Darth Vigrid
07-26-2002, 01:01 PM
I'm just now fixing the problem I mentioned earlier. After I'm done I'm going to UVW map the model before I weight it, so Harukaze and I can skin it.

Grafox
07-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Looking forward to the model!

StarViperPilot
07-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Very nice! Thank you for taking time to make this model we needed and older jedi in game. :D :D :D :ben:

Darth Vigrid
07-30-2002, 01:01 PM
UVW mapping should be completed today and then I'll get right to skinning (which might take me awhile).

ronbrothers
07-30-2002, 08:38 PM
I can't wait ... :D

Darth Vigrid
07-31-2002, 03:32 PM
I'm having some problems mapping the hair. I've tried it a few different ways and I haven't really liked how they have turned out. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach the hair mapping?

Here's some pictures of it:

http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/hair.html

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-31-2002, 10:41 PM
Very nice man. Tis post doesnt really have anything to do with this model but about a future project. I was thinking maybe you could model/skin the clone luke from the zahn novel the last command. Anyway it looks wonderful man. Keep it up... I creamed myself upon looking at it for the first time... lo j/k. Have a good one. :)

Wes Marrakesh
07-31-2002, 11:16 PM
nice model! i'll be looking forward to this being released!

Darth Vigrid
08-01-2002, 03:05 AM
Mapping is complete and I've sent the model to Harukaze so he can start the Jorus skin. I'll start on the Joruus skin right away.

Thanks everybody for your support.

nucular_jedi_14
08-01-2002, 03:11 AM
sry just had 2 say it:D

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
08-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Vigrid, can you post some in game shots? If not then that's cool. :) I look forward to seeing this in the jk2.net models section. :D

Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 02:10 AM
Sorry, but Joruus isn't in-game yet. I still have to weight the mesh. I did a quick weighting before, but I had to scrap it because I ran in to some problems (which were later worked out).

Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 04:20 AM
I've made some progress skinning the face.

Early Face Skin (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)

What do you think?

adillon
08-02-2002, 07:23 AM
DV-

holy *BLEEP* ... that's looking great. i think there needs to be some blending or something at the top of his nose and around his eyelids, but i am very impressed. is he supposed to be so GRAY though?

btw, i really dig how people chang their avatars to showcase their WIPs ... a little tease perhaps. i knew something momentous had happened when i saw yours was different.

keep up the great work, man!! :D

Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 09:40 AM
Yeah I have some more work to do on the nose, and I haven't even touched the eyelids yet. I'm going to add color later, its alot easier to do the skin in black and white first and then add color.

adillon
08-02-2002, 10:27 AM
its alot easier to do the skin in black and white first and then add color.

is it easier to do it that way?! maybe that's why i'm having problems with a skin i'm currently working on. :rolleyes:

so tell me, if you start the skin in grayscale, how do you go about adding color to it?

Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 10:31 AM
This is my first skin, so I'm no expert, but I've read a few tutorials. You can add color by creating new layers of color and messing around with the opacity and different modes.

Darth Vigrid
08-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Harukaze is supposed to do the Jorus skin. I sent him the model but he hasn't replied. He's usually a pretty active person in these forums. Hopefully he's still around.

Def
08-02-2002, 09:31 PM
You should make a robed version with hood and one without hood.

Nice work by the way! :)

Sivy
08-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Looking good, the face is great.
Can't wait untill it's finished.

Darth Vigrid
08-03-2002, 07:14 PM
I did some more work on the face and beard and started the chest.

Updated Pics Here (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)

t3rr0r
08-03-2002, 07:17 PM
I did some more work on the face and beard and started the chest.

Updated Pics Here (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/skin.html)
looking good. the shadows on the chest seem a little dark, though. also, you still planning on using an alpha map on the hair?

Darth Vigrid
08-03-2002, 08:38 PM
The chest will probably look better once I color it. As for the alpha maps, yes I'm going to try them out. However, I know on yoda they were used to make the hair thin. And Joruus's hair is pretty thick (even the beard). Can alpha maps be used without making the hair appear real thin?

Def
08-03-2002, 09:21 PM
It's looking real good! Keep up the good work! :)

t3rr0r
08-04-2002, 11:44 AM
Can alpha maps be used without making the hair appear real thin?
yes they can. like you could make the edges whispy or something, yet the rest be thick. take a look at hapslash's green twi'lek skin, more specifically the net flaps at her waist. that utilizes alpha maps.

Darth Vigrid
08-07-2002, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the help t3rr0r. I'll get all that shader stuff worked out soon. In the meantime, I've done some work on the robes.

Click for the pic (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/index7.html)

Criticism is welcome.

Darth Vigrid
08-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Here's a side view (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/index8.html)

Def
08-07-2002, 03:54 AM
God damn that's cool.

I suggest you do a version with a shirt instead of seeing his skin..

just an idea...keep up the good work

Darth Vigrid
08-08-2002, 12:14 PM
I did some more work on the robes, and started the hair. Don't mind the belt. I have'nt started it yet. As for the color of his chest and face, I still have more to work on there.

The Pic (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/index9.html)

I also have to make the torso match the arms.

adillon
08-08-2002, 12:32 PM
i don't know if it was mentioned here or in the skinning thread, but those abs are looking too ripped ... and i know you know that, i just wanted to mention it again. i wonder how many sit-ups you gotta do to get THEM?! lol

the texture you have on the robe is making it really look like fabric ... good job on that. i'd keep the bare chest instead of a shirt version ... how else would you see his pimp-daddy gold chains? the hair and face look great to me. i'm very impressed how it went from grayscale to full-color and looks so great.

you've said in the past that this is your first model/skin, right? the more progress you show, the more i'm inclined to say that you just might be trying to pull a fast one on us. this guy is a high-quality, grade-A, USDA prime piece of kick@$$ work. keep up the great work!

Darth Vigrid
08-08-2002, 03:03 PM
Thanks adillon, but this truley is my first model. About the abs, I'll tone them down but Joruus is pretty ripped. I'm going by the cover of Heir to the Empire. I'll post of pic of it as soon as I have time.

adillon
08-08-2002, 03:11 PM
this truley is my first model

oh, i'm sure it is ... i'm just so impressed by this project i felt i needed to mess around with your head a little bit and give you a hard time. :D

since it IS your first model, i can't wait to see how much more incredible your next go-around is.

seriously though, what are your thoughts/ideas/plans for sounds and/or taunts for ole joruus here?

BradFu
08-08-2002, 03:19 PM
Looking good, Vigrid! I think the skin is going very well so far :)

I agree that it should definitely be obvious that he's well-muscled, so I think you should keep it as it is, because when it gets in-game, it'll be a bit more blurry and washed out, so if you have the current level of contrast, it should work well.

t3rr0r
08-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BradFu
I agree that it should definitely be obvious that he's well-muscled, so I think you should keep it as it is, because when it gets in-game, it'll be a bit more blurry and washed out, so if you have the current level of contrast, it should work well.
not so, at a high picmip setting, everything would appear just as detailed. and the jk2 lighting might darken the shadows too much.

Master Bodle
08-08-2002, 06:10 PM
This skin looks cool. I can't wait to see it in game. Keep up the good work !!!:)

Darth Vigrid
08-09-2002, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the praise. I'm pretty happy with the way the skin has turned out so far. I worked some on the belt, and toned the abs down a little bit. About the sounds, that is a very good question. I've thought about it and really haven't come up with any solution. I'd rather not use default sounds, so if anybody can help in that department that would be great.

Updated Pic (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/index9.html)

adillon
08-09-2002, 01:06 PM
man, joruus just keeps getting better and better.

i'm have just started to reading HEIR TO THE EMPIRE ... just finished up I, JEDI ... seeing this model made the decision obvious as to which book to read next.

please don't ruin anything for me, but you've said before that joruus is an insane clone, right? i think his sounds and taunt should reflect this loss of mental capacity. he could laugh a lot, but not the laugh of the reborn/galak/shadowtrooper ... there's gotta be a lunacy in how he sounds. is there anything from the book that you think might be a good taunt?

what i'm trying to say is, i'd be MORE than willing to help you out with the custom sounds. i have some editing software (sound forge) so i can record and modify/edit as necessary. PM me if you're interested, and we can figure this out.

keep up the great work!

t3rr0r
08-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I've thought about it and really haven't come up with any solution. I'd rather not use default sounds, so if anybody can help in that department that would be great.
maybe these gandalf sounds could be of some use (they could use some editing/cutting here and there). :sweat:

http://www.myfavmovies.com/cgi-bin/DownloadWav.cgi?01200035&Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring&0056
http://www.myfavmovies.com/cgi-bin/DownloadWav.cgi?01200035&Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring&0057

Darth Vigrid
08-12-2002, 03:47 AM
I started doing some weighting of my mesh and when I tried to assimilate I got this message:

"Unable to find bone "l_hand" referenced in this mesh"

This is pretty weird since l_hand isn't even a bone. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Darth-Nasty
08-12-2002, 07:05 AM
that sounds like the problem that occured with the padme model

you should try and contact Anavel Gato, he will probably be able to help

Darth Vigrid
08-13-2002, 02:47 PM
Harukaze has contacted me and he will no longer be working on a Jorus skin. He's been pretty busy lately and has lost his internet connection.

I've been talking to adillon and he's agreed to put together some custom sounds for Joruus.

I started some weighting yesterday just to see if I could get Joruus in game. The final skin is still not completed however.

Right know Joruus does not have any legs underneath the robe, there are only the shins and the legs. I've been debating what I'm going to do with that area. I think I might model some new legs and feet because Joruus wears sandals. But I think I may run into clipping problems if he has legs underneath the robe. The Mon Mothma model only has the bottoms of the legs, and I've been using that as the idea for mine. The problem is the split down the middle. With it you can see under the robe in certain angles. So I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas.

I'll probably have to end up modeling the entire leg.

Darth Vigrid
08-16-2002, 11:03 AM
Well Joruus is now in ModView, but I still have alot of clipping issues to work out. The good news is I'm pretty happy with the way I've weighted the robe. As soon as I get a decent weighting done, I'll go back and finish up the skin.

adillon
08-16-2002, 11:28 AM
hey DV, i'll give you 2 guesses as to who my new avatar is??

Right know Joruus does not have any legs underneath the robe, there are only the shins and the legs. I've been debating what I'm going to do with that area. I think I might model some new legs and feet because Joruus wears sandals. But I think I may run into clipping problems if he has legs underneath the robe. The Mon Mothma model only has the bottoms of the legs, and I've been using that as the idea for mine. The problem is the split down the middle. With it you can see under the robe in certain angles. So I don't know what to do. Anyone have any ideas.

i think modeling new shins and feet is a good way to go, that way he will be able to have his sandals, as he should.

from what i understand, and please correct me if i'm wrong, but is the split in the robe actually part of the model or is it the skin? if it is how joruus is modeled, and since the split isn't that large, would you really see his legs? can you model it without the split and just skin it to look like it's split? just paint it black?

i don't really know how it'll look if it's skinned to look split, but this would help you avoid modeling the full legs and clipping the robe.

btw, i hope to have preliminary sounds sent to you by sunday. are you able to receive relatively large e-mails?

Darth Vigrid
08-16-2002, 02:49 PM
adillon, I see you've been sportin that new Joruus avatar, Very Cool Pic.

I actually modeled the robe split. I think this is necessary. If I just made it part of the skin, it would probably look weird in certain animations. What I've been thinking of doing is to just model another layer underneath so when the robe splits the legs will not be seen. I will be making the sandals and lower part of the legs though.

I should be able to recieve the sounds. Just don't send them to my Hotmail account. Send them...

Right Here (tdonahue@houston.rr.com)

adillon
08-17-2002, 04:52 PM
joruus is a very cool character ... i figured as long as i was helping you out, i'd show him off in my avatar. plus the pic, without knowing WHO he is, is a pretty cool image in itself.

your idea to model the 2nd layer seems like a good one. it'll be dark under his robe, so i don't see how you'd see his legs anyway. hope it works out for you.

i'll send you the sounds, most likely tonite (yeah, you heard me right), to that address. i was thinking of posting them here as well to get other people's input ... stay tuned.

adillon
08-17-2002, 07:35 PM
here are my first stabs at creating sounds for ole joruus. since jkII now has the capability to have up to 12 taunts, darth vigrid and i have decided to take advantage of this make a few taunts. here are the two we have come up with so far ... lines that he says from Heir to the Empire. if anybody knows of any other lines from that book, or the other two books in the thrawn trilogy, that you think would work please let us know.

basically what we're going for is a rather dignified, noble, sophisticated, confident voice. he is supposed to be insane, but only because he believed himself to be a jedi master, but his actions were not that of a jedi at all.

here they are ...

i grow tired of waiting (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/taunt.mp3)

and now i will kill you (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/taunt1.mp3)

... let us know what you think. THANKS!

Darth Vigrid
08-17-2002, 09:39 PM
Great job, adillon. Joruus now has a voice. I can't stop listening to the taunts you've made. I like how he has an edge to his speech. Tonight, I'll try to find some more taunts. By the way, your avatar captures Joruus's power perfectly.

What do the rest of you think...

mariners2001
08-18-2002, 01:47 AM
awesome that you made some taunts....can't wait for this model...if you want me to be really picky then I'd say put more emotion into "And now I will kill you." Say it like you're kinda psycho.lol

dreamer
08-18-2002, 01:52 AM
cool model!

Fart_Vader
08-18-2002, 11:36 AM
darth vigrid, your joruus model looks amazing. do you think you would be able to give gandalf and saruman a world? that would be awsome! anyway looking forward to your model!!!!!

BradFu
08-18-2002, 11:56 AM
Vigrid: My 2 cents, I don't think the split in the robes is really necessary. You might see it in some reference pics, but a robe wouldn't always be hanging open, and if you closed it up, I think it might look/work a bit better. I like how it's turning out :D

For the sounds, I would cut some of the raspiness out of the voice, it's pretty harsh and inhuman. More emotion would be good too.

adillon
08-18-2002, 05:18 PM
i agree about adding some more emotion to the taunts, but to a degree. the idea is that he sounds very dignified/sophisticated as well as very confident ... pretty matter-of-fact. a little more emotion can't hurt, but i kinda thought his taunts would be statements of his, not necessarily something to "taunt" his opponent to get them flustered. he's just stating a fact, at least in his mind.

and brad, PRETTY HARSH AND INHUMAN?! but that's MY voice, albeit pretty heavily modified. guess i gotta work on expressing my emotions more, huh? heheh ;)

i'll see what i can come up with ...

BradFu
08-18-2002, 06:00 PM
No no, the underlying voice sounds good, just tone down some of the modifications. There's a scratchiness to it, probably meant to give the impression of a growling/rumbling resonance, but should be toned down or removed :)

Darth Vigrid
08-19-2002, 01:18 PM
As far as making Gandalf or Saruman, that would be really cool, (I just got the Lord of the Rings DVD), but I don't think I would do it unless it was for a Lord of the Rings total conversion. I like having the robe split down the middle because it looks pretty cool with the animations, and I'm going to put another layer underneath the robe anyways which should solve all those problems. Currently I'm modeling the feet, so that shouldn't take much longer. BradFu, you make some good points about the sounds. They do sound a little to harsh. Hopefully, I'll find some more taunts soon.

BradFu
08-19-2002, 07:24 PM
Cool, another layer is a good way to go :)

Darth Vigrid
08-22-2002, 11:28 AM
My, how fast this thread slips to the second page. I just wanted to give a quick update. I haven't had to much free time lately but I've been going back and forth between weighting and skinning.

Latest pic of face (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/skinned head new.jpg)

t3rr0r
08-22-2002, 11:41 AM
the face looks great... nice definition.

ronbrothers
08-22-2002, 05:31 PM
Wow, this model is REALLY shaping up. I can't wait.

Darth Vigrid
08-23-2002, 03:40 AM
I've finished modeling the legs (complete with sandals), and have uvw mapped most of them. I took a break from the the mapping though and did some more work on the face.

Latest pic of face (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/front view of face.jpg)

And here's the legs (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/legs.jpg)

Darth Vigrid
08-28-2002, 07:02 PM
I've finished a decent weighting of Joruus and he's now in game. I've also decided I didn't like the job I did of skinning the robe so I'm in the process of re-doing it. Don't mind the left hand missing, I haven't fixed it yet. I still have some more weighting to do as there is some clipping issues.

Image 1 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0000.jpg)
Image 2 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0001.jpg)
Image 3 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0002.jpg)
Image 4 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0003.jpg)
Image 5 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0004.jpg)
Image 6 (http://home.houston.rr.com/pjdindustries/Screenshots/shot0007.jpg)

adillon
08-28-2002, 07:39 PM
oh yeah, joruus is in game! great to see that, DV.

i know you said there's a lot of work left to do, so i'm gonna keep my 2 cents to myself for now. i'm just so *BLEEP* excited to see him as a fully-functioning model.

HOOWAH!! :thumbs1:

and for those who haven't helped us out yet, please head on over here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76649) and cast your vote! thanks! :D

Darth Vigrid
08-29-2002, 01:01 AM
I'm excited to have gotten this far. I think my second attempt at skinning will yield better results than the first. I just thought the first robe was a little too rough looking. I'm trying to get the robe weighted so it will move like Mon Mothma's.

Darth Vigrid
09-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Ok, I've gotten a pretty good weighting done, but I still have to do the hands. One problem though. Every time I try assimilate the model the same vertices have no weights. I look at them in max, but they do have weights. So I mess around with their settings and that solves the problem. However, when I save the max file and come back I have to do the same thing all over again. Anyone have this problem. It's not a big deal, just very annoying, and it makes weighting a real nightmare.

Anyway here's the latest in game screenshots:

Image 1 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0001)
Image 2 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0002)
Image 3 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0003)
Image 4 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0005)
Image 5 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0009)
Image 6 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0014)
Image 7 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0018)
Image 8 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0021)
Image 9 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0022)
Image 10 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0024)
Image 11 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0028)
Image 12 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0035)
Image 13 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0036)
Image 14 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0038)
Image 15 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0040)
Image 16 (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/shot0041)

mariners2001
09-03-2002, 12:56 AM
absolutely awesome...all i say to do is recolor the chest a bit more so it blends more to the face and i don't know why but in screen #2, his saber seems to be out of his hand. awesome job, it'd say release it after you get those things solved. can't wait.

Darth Vigrid
09-03-2002, 02:11 AM
thanks, I'm still working on the skin. I never seem to be satisfied with it. As far as the hands, they really haven't been weighted correctly yet, and that's why it appears as though he's weilding his saber with the force.

Also, adillon, I've been trying to PM you but it's not working. I can't send you e-mails for some reason either. I was hoping to send you the latest .pk3 file, so you could maybe test it out, or put the sounds together and test them out in-game.

adillon
09-03-2002, 09:40 AM
DV-

i got a couple notices that you've sent me some PMs, but the forums aren't letting me look at them. what's up with THAT?! :(

i'd be more than happy to help you test c'baoth in-game and see how the sounds work. can send it to this address (adillon@jkroller.com) AND this address (andrew.dillon@verizon.net) ... this way i know i'll get it and be able to work on it asap.

i hadn't worked on the sounds all weekend, though. they're still in the rather rough state they were in when i PMed you last. i hope to FINISH them this week ... what's your time-frame looking like? when would you like to have them done by?

send me the pk3 ... i'll be eagerly awaiting it.

Jason Solo
09-03-2002, 04:44 PM
Yeah i am probably a little late to make a suggestion, but i am reading the last command and C'baoth says two really neat lines that i think whould make good taunts. "I ruler the Empire."
and "You will obey me, or you will die!" Yeah he is talking to thrawn when he says these things.

Darth Vigrid
09-03-2002, 10:34 PM
adillon, I e-mailed you the pk3. Did you get it?

Whenever you finish the sounds will be fine with me. You'll probably be done with them before I'm done weighting and skinning, so take your time.

adillon
09-04-2002, 09:14 AM
yeah, DV, i got the email at both addresses ... THANKS!

i played with joruus a little bit last night ... let me tell you it's so *BLEEP* cool to see him running around on my machine. he also sounds cool with the taunts we came up with, although they are still in a rough state like i mentioned above. much better than the default sounds.

i'm thinking since we currently have nine, with the ability to use 12, i might add the two taunts jason solo had suggested. THANKS, JASON! while we're at it, we might as well come up with one more and make it an even dozen. any ideas?

DV, i have some things i want to point out to you regarding my testing of the model. i took some screenies of what i'm talking about to help you see it. expect an email from me soon.

Jason Solo
09-04-2002, 03:38 PM
I was looking at my thread again and i noticed a typo in one of the taunts. I ruler the empire. lol its suppose to be "I rule the empire."

adillon
09-04-2002, 04:05 PM
i picked up on that typo, jason ... but thanks for bringing it to my attention. as soon as i saw joruus being modeled i had to start reading the thrawn trilogy, just so i could have a better understanding and respect for our mentally unstable jedi master. i'm more than halfway through The Last Command and remember reading those 2 lines just the other day. :D

and fyi, i think we ARE gonna use the 2 taunts you suggested. do you have any ideas for 1 more, just to bring us up to an even dozen?

Professor Snape
09-04-2002, 06:17 PM
who is joruus c'baoth. I'm guessing he's in the lord of the rings and mayb he was played by christopher lee in the movie???? correct me if i'm wrong please

fat_101
09-04-2002, 06:21 PM
Im not sure but methinks hes a jedi from the star wars books but hay im probably wrong :D

FATTEH

oh and christopher lee played count dooku in the film

pjdonnell
09-04-2002, 06:45 PM
Joruu C'baoth is the insane clone of the Clone War era Jedi Master Jorus C'Baoth. Recruited by Grand Admiral Thrawn five years after the Battle of Endor to help organize Imperial attacks, one of his many goals was to be teacher of the Force to Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade, and Jaicen and Jaina Solo. He died at the conlusion of the Thrawn trilogy, a Dark Jedi even Thrawn was ready to do away with.

adillon
09-04-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Anakin-Davin
who is joruus c'baoth. I'm guessing he's in the lord of the rings and mayb he was played by christopher lee in the movie???? correct me if i'm wrong please

ok boys and girls, i have some homework for you. go out, RIGHT NOW and read this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553296124/reader/1/ref=lib_dp_TFCV/102-9424341-6975304#reader-link), this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553560719/reader/1/ref=lib_dp_TFCV/102-9424341-6975304#reader-link), and this book (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553564927/reader/1/ref=lib_dp_TFCV/102-9424341-6975304#reader-link). prepare for me a 5000 word essay analyzing joruus c'baoth through the eyes of siegmund freud. for extra credit, compare cloning in the star wars universe with the cloning of dolly the sheep (http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20010716.html). please include all necessary quotes, footnotes, cross-references, etc. all papers are to be double-spaced and handed in by first thing friday morning.

good luck, and have a nice day. :)

Jason Solo
09-04-2002, 08:00 PM
Here are a few more I think are neat C'baoth moments.
"I control the Force!"
He is again yelling at Thrawn in this quote.
"I am the Master. You are the servant."
He is talking to luke in this one.
Those were the only two i could really find in the book The Last Command, but i remember in Dark Forces Rising I believe when Luke was with C'baoth on the planet Jomark then Mara came to rescue him and save Karrde that C'baoth said some crazy stuff to luke as he delt out justice or whatever. I don't own that book so i can't page through it.

adillon
09-04-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Jason Solo
"I am the Master. You are the servant."

WE HAVE A WINNER!

i really like this one, jason. thanks again for your help! :D

Jason Solo
09-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Hey no problem anytime. I look forward to this models release. I would like to see many more EU models to be made. I know of Mara Jade, but I would like to see the Solo kids as well. And I will be happy to search for quotes for taunts.

Darth Vigrid
09-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Thanks for your help, Jason Solo, I like the taunts you've come up with. With a dozen taunts in all, there is no way you'll get tired of any of them, and it really adds alot to the model.

adillon, I got your e-mail about your initial testing of the model, and am currently trying to work out the issues that you've mentioned. Thanks alot for the critique and the pics. They really help out alot. I know you mentioned a change in the icon. The icon I use currently is just a old avatar of mine, I'll make a new more professional looking one as soon as I get the model completed.

Darth Vigrid
09-07-2002, 03:20 AM
I've done a little more work on Joruus. The sleeves had been clipping the sides of the robe when he walked, so I've completely redone the mesh on them. Now they are at a different angle. I'm in the process of completely re-weighting the torso and the robe. I want to get a perfect weighting done, so I can finally try to get a finished skin on him.

Here's the new sleeves (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/newsleeves.txt)

note: the texture on the sleeves appears weird because I used the map from the old sleeves. I have to redo the mapping on them.

Zedar
09-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Cool model:)
There's too much good models coming!!!

BradFu
09-07-2002, 09:58 PM
Our esteemed insane Jedi Master is looking quite spiffy :)

Darth Vigrid
09-10-2002, 04:32 AM
Thanks, These new arms will work much better, and there will be no clipping on the side of the robe as he walks. I really haven't gotten a chance to do any work on the model itself (the result of Computer Science classes and school in general). Origionally, I was just thinking of making the team CTF skins recolors of the origional one I've made, but I'm having second thoughts. Does anyone want to have a go at making a skin for this model? It would be cool if it was released with more than just my default one.

adillon
09-10-2002, 08:05 AM
DV-

i like the changes you made to the sleeves. not that the clipping was all that noticable (sp?), especially during a duel, but it was happening ... glad to see you're making joruus as perfect as can be. :D

ctf skins would be awesome ... maybe they could be younger versions of him, especially with darker hair, with the red skin looking a little more sinister.

i think i've nailed down all 12 taunts we have so far. there is a certain raspiness and slight echo to them, and i've tried to make the volume a little louder than the default taunts, because of c'baoth's tendency to amplify his voice when he's ticked off. heheh. check 'em out ...

c'baoth (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/cbaoth.mp3)
destiny (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/destiny.mp3)
duel_death (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/duel_death.mp3)
force_bind (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/force_bind.mp3)
jedi_rule (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/jedi_rule.mp3)
kill_you (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/kill_you.mp3)
kneel (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/kneel.mp3)
master_servant (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/master_servant.mp3)
mine (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/mine.mp3)
obey_die (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/obey_die.mp3)
rule_empire (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/rule_empire.mp3)
tired (http://members.verizon.net/~vze3p69r/tired.mp3)

... let me know what you think. if you're happy, i'm happy, then i'll finish up with his other assorted sounds.

fat_101
09-10-2002, 08:44 AM
wow nice powerful boom in his voice, this would scare the c**p outta my niece and nephew :evil3: .

I really like the taunts keep em :D

FATTEH

Darth Vigrid
09-10-2002, 01:17 PM
Great work adillon, I think we have our twelve taunts, and they're sounding great. When Joruus speaks, people will listen. As soon as I have time, I'll try to come up with a new pk3 to send you. I want the weighting to be perfect so I can finally get the skins finished.

adillon
09-10-2002, 02:30 PM
great to hear you like the taunts DV. i wanted to get the volume so loud it would blow people's speakers out, but decided against that. just trying to be as "authentic" as possible. heheh

let me know if you need my email addresses again if/when you send that to me. looking forward to it.

Jason Solo
09-10-2002, 03:24 PM
Those sound really good, but none of the taunts really protray the crazy clone side of him. Like my taunt that I suggested "I rule the Empire." I think this would be one of his crazy clone moments. I know its tough to get that through is booming voice which sounds good but maybe speed it up or something like that.

adillon
09-10-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jason Solo
I think this would be one of his crazy clone moments.

i never got the impression that he ever "lost it" and went crazy ... he was just mentally unstable. but maybe that's just my interpretation of it. :confused:

darth vigrid is pretty happy with them, and i am too, for the most part. i need to start working on joruus' others sounds, but i may come back to the taunts and tweak them some more. we shall see.

thanks for your input and help, jason ... much appreciated. :D

Darth Vigrid
09-11-2002, 03:26 AM
I agree adillon, Joruus really never openly displays his insanity.

I got some work done on the skin today. I mapped the arms and skinned them. I also re-skinned the torso, and did some more work on the face.

Here's the new torso (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/newtorso.txt)

I'm thinking the hair needs some more work. Tell me what you think.

moooa
09-11-2002, 04:06 AM
I really like the model but I think that the torso looks too "strong"
Joruus is an old guy and maybe if the texture have less contrast
For the hair I think it's too perfect, like the beard. He live alone in a caste so maybe his hair goes in many way like his hair (if u could add some polygon which goes in many way or use shader for some transparency on the extremity of the hair and beard like the chewbacca model)
For the rest it's perfect, the face texture and the coat texture is impressive :)

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-11-2002, 04:09 AM
I personally think that it would benifit the initial skin if you lightened the shades on his pecks and six pack. Otherwise the model looks great.

moooa
09-11-2002, 02:35 PM
Sorry if it's offense you but for illustrate what i say I take your render of joruus new torso and paint over it
I know that paint over a picture is easier than model it but it make a idea of what i think.

http://www.geocities.com/mooooa2002/joruus.txt
For the hair i just add 1 or 2 details
For the beard i change a little the form
I see in an old render of u with the sleeves bigger. Do u already use them ?
I think u already have this pics but I think his robe have a hood.
http://www.haight-ashbury.com/starwars/baoth.gif
I'm not sure but maybe

Once a again you're job is very great I just try to help u a little bit.

moooa

moooa
09-11-2002, 02:43 PM
The link of the last pics doesn't work
here the correct

http://www.geocities.com/mooooa2002/baoth.txt

Darth Vigrid
09-11-2002, 02:59 PM
I really like what you've done with the hair and the beard. I think I will try to add some random polygons to get the hair looking more realistic. As far as the abs, I have to disagree with you there. I know Joruus is old, but he is a pretty buff individual. Take a look here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0553296124/reader/1/ref%3Dlib%5Fdp%5FTFCV/102-5198642-2134564) at this reference pic.

moooa
09-11-2002, 03:26 PM
You are right I haven't view this pics. I just looking at my abs and they doesn't look like those :D

For the hair maybe take a look at the chewbacca model and see how major clod do the fur of the wookie maybe u can use the same technic
And for the beard you will not have many things to change, just the form, add 1 or 2 poly and change a little the texture

Daskers
09-11-2002, 06:29 PM
His abs are a little bit too defined.
Looks like the guys painted them on.
I knew the guy was corrupt, but now he's in a whole different league!:-)

Jon_Cypher
09-11-2002, 09:12 PM
I like the taunts, but there's no emotion in the voice, it sounds like it's just a synthesized darth vader. I always thought that the way he said things like "I am the master. You are the servent." that he'd say it in an angry, presumptuous voice. I don't mean to critique, but the taunts do sound really emotionless in my opinion...

adillon
09-12-2002, 09:33 AM
well, the taunts were just my interpretation of joruus. i picture him being rather emotionless, more of a matter-of-fact kind of character. and being that we have no "real" basis for the tone of his voice, other than anthony daniels' wonderful rendition in the audio books, this is what i've come up with.

it IS darth vigrid's project, however. if he wants more emotion in the voice, then by golly, i'm gonna put more in. :D

let's wait and see what he has to say ...

BradFu
09-12-2002, 12:57 PM
I have to agree about the emotion. I've read the Heir Trilogy numerous times (more than 10), and there is DEFINITELY a loss of control many times. At other times, he IS very cold and emotionless. I think the best thing would be to make most of his taunts with fairly normal, but slightly menacing emotion, then make a couple cold and calm, and a couple outright insane and full of rage. The key to making the taunts good is to make sure you convey the impression that this IS an insane clone of a Jedi Master.

I would cut the distortion in it. A slight touch of reverb to make the voice sound powerful, but not too much. As it is now, he doesn't sound human. He should definitely sound human, just a powerful and insane human :)

adillon
09-12-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by BradFu
I think the best thing would be to make most of his taunts with fairly normal, but slightly menacing emotion, then make a couple cold and calm, and a couple outright insane and full of rage. The key to making the taunts good is to make sure you convey the impression that this IS an insane clone of a Jedi Master.

thanks for the feedback, brad. would you mind pointing out which taunts you feel should sound menacing, which should be cold and calm, and which should convey his insanity and rage? :confused:

after recording and re-recording my voice many many many many many times, i felt like i nailed the taunts down pretty well. it's good to get other people's opinions and see things from a different angle. i'd like for all of joruus' sounds to do darth vigrid's model justice ... any and all input is welcome.

on a lighter not, i thought i DID put some emotion into his voice ... guess i'm just an emotionless kinda guy. :lol:

Darth Vigrid
09-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I've haven't read completely through the books in about 4 years, so I don't quite remember exactly how emotional Joruus gets. However, you've made some good points BradFu. adillon, if you want to make the changes that BradFu has suggested, then by all means go right ahead. Each time you have redone the sounds, they have only improved, so It really can't hurt.

Well, yesterday I was browsing the forums and checked out Major Clod's Han Solo thread, and he had some great pictures of Han in-game with facial expressions, and then he explained exactly how he weighted the face, and it really wasn't as difficult as I had previously thought. So, I've rigged the face and the beard with the facial bones. I just got a few questions.

1. Are there any facial expressions used in MultiPlayer?

2. How do you replace a single player character with a custom model?

t3rr0r
09-12-2002, 07:00 PM
1. Are there any facial expressions used in MultiPlayer?

2. How do you replace a single player character with a custom model?
1. no.

2. if you were going to replace desann with joruus, you'd name the folder with all the joruus stuff "desann".

adillon
09-12-2002, 08:39 PM
Each time you have redone the sounds, they have only improved, so It really can't hurt.

well then maybe that's just what i'll do. ;)

Darth Vigrid
09-13-2002, 02:52 AM
Thanks for the help t3rr0r. I've been able to get Joruus into Single Player, complete with facial expresssions.

pics:

Blinking (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/expression1)
Sad (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/expression2)
Angry (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/expression3)

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-13-2002, 05:56 AM
Wow, very impressive. I like alot. The angry pic is exactly how I pictured him when he gets angry. Very very good.

frendon
09-13-2002, 08:25 AM
actually, to replace a single player character you should also change the .skin file, go in it with notepad and change all the dirs to the new folder, example: if you are going to change kyle you should rename all the folders in the skin file to kyle except the ones for the caps, those are usually in the folder stormtrooper, if you don't do it like this the skin file is going to try to find the image for the skins in the original folder and if you don't have that model in your base folder your character is going to be "invisible" in game because there are no such images in the base folder. :D

frendon
09-13-2002, 08:29 AM
hey Darth Vigrid I think it is great that now all you modeleres are getting facial expresions into your models, that was the only thing i didn't like from the custom models, they looked so stupid in the sp cutscenes just moving their heads while they were talking, it kind of remind me of jk1, well that is a great update, keep up the good work!!!

adillon
09-13-2002, 09:41 AM
wow, joruus looks really ticked off. very impressive DV. :D

now, if only i can make his voice reflect some extreme emotional states ...

t3rr0r
09-13-2002, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by frendon
actually, to replace a single player character you should also change the .skin file, go in it with notepad and change all the dirs to the new folder, example: if you are going to change kyle you should rename all the folders in the skin file to kyle except the ones for the caps, those are usually in the folder stormtrooper, if you don't do it like this the skin file is going to try to find the image for the skins in the original folder and if you don't have that model in your base folder your character is going to be "invisible" in game because there are no such images in the base folder. :D
if you already have the model for mp, then the directory does exist.

frendon
09-13-2002, 01:22 PM
t3rr0r i know that i was just trying to clear things up, it isn't just changing the folder's name but the other stuff must also exist in order for things to work properly.

Darth Vigrid
09-13-2002, 05:12 PM
You're right about the skin file frendon. Thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll release a Single Player version to replace Desaan. What do you think?

frendon
09-13-2002, 09:24 PM
yep that would be great but remeber to change the sound files too so we don't get a Joruus talking like an over grown kowakian monkey lizard !!!

Darth Vigrid
09-14-2002, 03:12 AM
I did a quick replace of desann in single player. Here are some screenshots with him as a npc. The bottom of the robe isn't my final version, That's why it doesn't match the top. Also, you'll notice Joruus still has Desann's size:

Triple Vision (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/1)

The fallen Kyle (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/2)

That's gotta hurt (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/3)

The End is Near (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/4)

Acrobatic (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/5)

Scope (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/6)

That's it, He's Dead (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/7)

Darth Vigrid
09-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Ok, After having alot of trouble with the robe I've decided to get rid of the split in the middle. It really looks bad in-game and removing it really doesn't take anything away from the model. This will aslo make weighting the robe much easier to do. I've also completely modified the bottom to show Joruus's sandals (might as well make them visible), and I like the way it has turned out. What do you think?

Click (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/new_front.txt)

The mapping on the robe has to be redone. The pic uses the old one.

Jon_Cypher
09-18-2002, 04:43 AM
I like it a lot! I also like the angry face you did for him, I thought it captured his attitude perfectly :D

Darth Loki
09-18-2002, 05:11 AM
Impressive. Most Impressive.

adillon
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
yeah, DV ... looking as sinister as ever!

good move with removal of the robe split. you're not losing a thing by doing that. i also like how you can see his feet now!

i can't remember who posted it (think it was moooa), but what, if anything, are you gonna do regarding making his hair a little messier? along the same lines, i think it would be cool to make the bottom of his robe have ripped/torn edges ... look at the tusken raider model to see what i mean.

keep up the great work, DV! :D

Darth Vigrid
09-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I've pm'ed Major Clod, so hopefully he can give me some information on how to get the hair shaders working. And, making the bottom of the robe with torn edges shouldn't be too hard, I'll see what I can do. By the time this model is completed, I want to be an expert of shaders. Glad you like the new look!

frendon
09-18-2002, 12:59 PM
I think u should realease 2 versions one with messy hair and one with the hair as it is now.

Darth Vigrid
09-23-2002, 11:57 AM
frendon, I know this model is taking a long time to complete, but I really don't want to have to versions of it floating around. I want everything to be pretty much perfect for the release. Also, Major Clod has given me some help with the shaders for the hair, and they should not be too difficult.

Darth Vigrid
10-01-2002, 07:06 PM
The model itself is pretty near completion. I've gotten the new robe weighted and it's working 10 times better than the old one. The only real work I now have to do is some touchups in the skin (the chest, the legs, and the face). I really don't think I'm going to have time right now to implement shaders for the robe and the hair. Shaders on the hair would require an increase in polycount, and I'm already pushing 3000, so without some major work, I don't see it happening. I really want to get this model released soon, but I'm pretty busy with school and all, so please just bear with me. Thanks.

new pic (http://www.geocities.com/donahuepj/model)

Enjoi9187
10-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Really nice Darth :) great progress :)

Padawan_7
10-01-2002, 07:14 PM
Don't worry about it Darth. I think C'baoth looks great! And I thank you for all of your hard work. :D

keo718
10-03-2002, 08:38 PM
Hey Darth, did you ever consider Darth Bane after your current project? Micah Giiett, Plo-koon's master and Ki-Adi-Mundi's predecessor in the Jedi Council is also a nice selection. I don't know all that much about the EU, but these to characters would be nice to have. I think Bane may have a cameo in EP III from what I've read....

t3rr0r
10-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by keo718
Hey Darth, did you ever consider Darth Bane after your current project? Micah Giiett, Plo-koon's master and Ki-Adi-Mundi's predecessor in the Jedi Council is also a nice selection. I don't know all that much about the EU, but these to characters would be nice to have. I think Bane may have a cameo in EP III from what I've read....
how the hell would they fit in an over 1000 year old sith into episode 3... i don't see it happening.

keo718
10-03-2002, 08:51 PM
how the hell would they fit in an over 1000 year old sith into episode 3... i don't see it happening.

Well, I'll just say that it was on one of the scripts I've seen.

Darth Vigrid
10-03-2002, 10:10 PM

That's really funny that you mentioned that keo. Bane was actually one of the first characters I was going to do, until I realized I needed more practice modeling before I tackled him. Joruus was a simpler model to make, so I started him and things have gone pretty well. I've learned alot about modeling from this project. I've been stopping by the polycount message boards recently, and the work there is amazing. Hopefully, I'll be able to produce that kind of quality one day. So, Bane is a possibility for the future, but I still haven't made a definitive decision as to what I will do next.

keo718
10-03-2002, 10:18 PM
Micah Giiett is a more simple one. Only thing is I couldn't really find good pics for him. Just one or two from a distance.

About your current model, my only crtique is that maybe you should blend in the shading more on the abdominal section.

Darth Vigrid
10-03-2002, 10:28 PM
About your current model, my only crtique is that maybe you should blend in the shading more on the abodminal section.

Yeah, that's one of the things I'm working on for the final skin.

Zedar
10-04-2002, 08:33 AM
Well, I'll just say that it was on one of the scripts I've seen.
I've seen the script too.
Bane is a nice idea for a model:)

adillon
10-04-2002, 10:09 AM
darth bane would be cool ... we need more bada$$ (http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/darthbane1b.jpg) characters in-game.

and you just gotta love micah giiett's hair ...

rear 1 (http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/micahcortosisore.jpg)
rear 2 (http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/micahfights.jpg)
front (http://jediencyclopedia.150m.com/micahsurrounded.jpg)

just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents on another project, DV. i'm finishing up the sounds for joruus, been busy with work though so it's taking longer than i'd like. if/when the time comes you need help on another project, you know who to turn to. *hint* *hint*

:D

Darth Vigrid
10-05-2002, 01:42 PM
So many characters, so little time. I like doing the EU characters since they allow a certain amount of artistic license.

adillon, no rush on the sounds, and don't worry, you'll be the first one I contact to help with my next model.

{BK}SupremePain
10-05-2002, 02:40 PM
o yeah that model is sweet man. but who is that guy? lol i have no idea who it is u are making a model of. so who is it?:D

frendon
10-05-2002, 02:46 PM
haha is the clone of the jedi master Jorus C' Baoth it was introduced in Timothy Zahn's novels "Heir To The Empire" "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command" same novels where Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn were introduced.

frendon
10-05-2002, 03:31 PM
hey Darth Vigrid i just want to say the model looks great as it is now but i would greatly appreciate it if you would also make a version of him with his hair like in these pics, i know you took the cover of the novel as a reference, but in the comic version of the last command his hair looks great, take a look the pointy hair makes him look like a real badass

http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendon/joruus.JPG
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendon/joruus2.JPG

keo718
10-05-2002, 10:45 PM
Darth, this guy looks kind of serious too....

Tyvokka, Wookie Jedi Master

http://www.geocities.com/eo718/tyvokka1b.jpg

-copy and paste-

However, this model would require a great amount of detail.

Actually I was mistaken Micah Giiett was not Plo Koons master, it was this guy. Rather Plo Koon and Micah went on several missions together.

Darth Vigrid
10-07-2002, 12:55 AM
frendon, those are some cool pics, never seen them before, Maybe I will make an update in the future after the first one is complete.

Wow, a wookie is tough enough, but a jedi wookie is unstoppable, cool character.

keo718
10-07-2002, 05:38 PM
Yes, cool character indeed. Its also cool that he's Plo Koons master.

frendon
10-08-2002, 05:44 PM
frendon, those are some cool pics, never seen them before, Maybe I will make an update in the future after the first one is complete.

OK thanks, i have the thrawn trilogy in comics and Joruus looks really cool in there, i see you are looking for more characters to model so i scanned other pics for you they are also from the last command's comic, the character's name is Mazzic is a smuggler/mercenary and looks really cool, i have a lot of reference pics if you decide to make him :)

http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendon/mazzic.JPG
http://bellsouthpwp.net/f/r/frendon/mazzic2.JPG

frendon
10-14-2002, 08:35 AM
BUMP !!!!!!!!!!!

frendon
10-15-2002, 10:17 PM
any updates??? :(

Lightning
10-16-2002, 10:52 AM
looks good so far:)

Darth Vigrid
10-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Sorry frendon, but It's right about midterm time an I'm not having much time to work on the model. After this weekend, I'll probably be able to get some more work done on it.

frendon
10-16-2002, 03:44 PM
and what about mazzic? did u checked the pics? what do u think?

Darth Vigrid
10-17-2002, 05:11 AM
He's an interesting character, I'll put him on the list of possibilites for my next model.

frendon
10-17-2002, 08:52 AM
He's an interesting character, I'll put him on the list of possibilites for my next model.
ok thanks :D that's good enough for me.

Padawan_7
11-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Any progress Darth Vigrid? It's been a while since you've posted anything. C'baoth was looking good.

Darth Vigrid
11-17-2002, 01:29 AM
Sorry for the complete lack of updates, there really hasn't been anything to say. School has been really overwhelming as of late, and I probably wont be able to put the finishing touches on the model until the Christmas break.

Hellfire Jedi
11-25-2002, 08:28 PM
*sigh* that stinks.... what u gotta finish....

boinga1
11-25-2002, 10:49 PM
Amazing model. Honestly, iit would seem to be very close to perfect...what DOES need to be done?

Rebel_Spy
11-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Hey Darth, like to read that you are fine and kickin' I didn't see you here in the forums in a while, How is Joruus coming? Hope you find some time and do some work on him, but we are all busy as same, so don't rush and take your time.

Also, I like to thank you for all the help that you give me before. I just started my own WIP, hope you like it, its also an expanded universe character.

Laaaaaate!

DarkLord_44
12-23-2002, 12:10 PM
Yay it is Christmas break :)

Hellfire Jedi
12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
YAY! Lets see this done man!!!

Hellfire

p.s. Good luck!

MasterKoon237
12-23-2002, 02:41 PM
hopefully proggress on this model is going well........So, that being said,.....Farewell and may the force be with you! lol!

Darth Vigrid
01-16-2003, 12:40 AM
Ok, Ok so here's the current situation for anyone who's still interested. The model has been basically done for awhile with just a few glitches, but I'm willing to overlook them for now. This was the first model I've ever created and I really knew nothing about the basics of the efficient use of polys (this pretty simple model is over 3000), but I've been hanging out over at polycount.com and have been learning alot. And the glitches I've been stressing over stem from a bad use of polys. I'm willing to release this beta version as soon as I can get everything together, but I first need to contact adillon to see If he's still interested in making the sounds. Well that's pretty much everything. Sorry again about the insanely long wait.

Classic Luke
01-16-2003, 01:12 AM
Wow, sounds great darth. I saw some shots of the model awhile back and....
Impressive....most impressive....
If your willing to send me a beta version I would gladly take it!
(even without the sounds included, :) )
bertleroy2000@yahoo.com

Thank-you much for the effort friend, and KEEP UP the Good work!

frendon
01-16-2003, 01:47 AM
hey those are great news!!! u know i have being following this model from the beginning i'm so happy that it will finally be released!!

adillon
01-16-2003, 09:23 AM
but I first need to contact adillon to see If he's still interested in making the sounds
you know it DV ... i'm still ready, willing, and able to do them.

MasterKoon237
01-16-2003, 09:44 AM
so this is soon to be realeased i take it? That's awesome! But take your time.

Darth Vigrid
01-16-2003, 10:13 PM
Ok, that's great news adillon, just contact me or post here when you have them completed. No rush though.

dekerd
01-17-2003, 02:58 AM
Hey, that's some good work there Darth Vigrid! Looks very true to the extended universe books. The Thrawn Trilogy was one of my favorites.

However, those MP3 clips on your site for his voice; they sound cool, but they seem a little too low. I know they are a rough cut I'm sure it's not easy creating the voice, but maybe try something a little more raspy and worn. Sort of like Anakin's voice in Return of the Jedi (mask off) but more deranged.

Well, regardless, you're still doing a great job! Can't wait to play it!

adillon
01-17-2003, 09:17 AM
i know it's been posted a while back, but i'm such a nice guy, i'll reiterate a few things regarding joruus' voice.
although he was old, he seemed to be in pretty good physical shape, so his voice will be 'healthy' sounding (is that makes sense)
sometimes when he spoke, his voice had no emotion whatsoever, as though he were just stating a fact ... at other times he was full of rage ... his taunts/sounds will reflect both emotional states
when joruus WAS in a fit of rage, he somehow managed to project his voice in a booming, echoing manner ... the appropriate taunts/sounds will reflect this
DV, i'm thinking of cutting down on the 12 total taunts we had originally come up with ... the more i thought about it, the more i realized that some of them don't 'feel' like appropriate taunts. at the same time, i was thinking of using a couple of them for his near death and death sounds. stay tuned ...

Darth Vigrid
01-21-2003, 02:35 AM
Well it sounds like you've got everything under control adillon. Do what you want with the sounds, I'm sure they'll do the character justice.

adillon
01-21-2003, 08:43 AM
DV, expect some NEW sounds this weekend (or monday at the latest). i hope i can do the character justice. ;)

Darth Vigrid
01-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Sounds good, looking foward to what you come up with.