PDA

View Full Version : Are RPGs addictive?

MediocreSlacker
07-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Has anyone else heard of Everquest being called Evercrack? Does the way that hours of playing is rewarded with character advancement mean that RPGs are more addictive than other kinds of games? What do you think?

Koffin
07-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Oh yeah, especially the MORPG's. You might find yourself playing into the early morning without having the slightest idea you stayed up all night.

When a new game like everquest comes out, the stock on caffeine products goes through the roof.

YourGod
07-16-2002, 03:23 PM
does the question really need to be asked?
of course they do...any game that draws on both mental & emotional/judgemental traits must be...most other games jus ask for fast reflexes (FPS), or planning (RTS)

setsuko
07-16-2002, 06:30 PM
Tuesday night, 5:30 am:

"just....fifteen....more....minutes....just....one. ...more......spawn....zzzzz"

FunClown
07-16-2002, 09:47 PM
RPG's make you hopelessly addictive and then once you stop playing the game you think how stupid you were...

MediocreSlacker
07-17-2002, 01:43 AM
Awesome thanks a lot guys; I'm writing a paper on this and I need all the feedback from as many different people as I can get.

thanks!!

slacker

Jan Gaarni
07-17-2002, 05:28 AM
MMORPG SUCKS!!!!

:D

setsuko
07-17-2002, 06:25 AM
ROFLOL!

Btw, Gaarni, guess who were in Norway last week! Only some short trips to the Oslo Airport, though. I had never seen warning signs for roaming ducks before! ;)

Yoda_623
07-18-2002, 07:32 AM
I think RPG's are addictive,but I don't really like them. The only one I really ever played was FF7,and it was awesome. :)

Treacherous Mercenary
07-18-2002, 10:19 AM
I don't play many RPGs, but I might actually consider getting SWG come to think of it. The only game series for RPGs I have played is Zelda, so....

Jan Gaarni
07-18-2002, 11:14 PM
Btw, Gaarni, guess who were in Norway last week! Only some short trips to the Oslo Airport, though. I had never seen warning signs for roaming ducks before!
Up at Gardemoen? Yeah, those are for the pilots of the planes. :D
So, while your first visiting, why aren't you up here in Molde (where I live) this week (the 29th) during the International Jazz Festival? :D

setsuko
07-19-2002, 02:06 AM
I love jazz festivals. But after the Arvika festival, with 17 hours of work each day for a week, I had my fill of festivals this year. And no, those signs were not at the airport, it was at the road between Karlstad and Oslo! Right among all those moose signs! It even had three cute, small ducklings wandering after the big duck on the sign.

Jan Gaarni
07-19-2002, 03:59 AM
The others here don't know that (with the exception of Darth Simpson). You're killing my joke. :(

Oh, and yeah, did you know that there was a big problem with tourists taking down the Moose signs for suveniers at one time? :D

setsuko
07-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Yeah, we have the same problem here. The damn germans! They pick down the signs! They are important warnings, not souveneirs! *grumbl* *grumbl*

And regarding the duck sign, I just assumed that you norwegians are either very paranoid, or you have some really nasty ducks over there.

*quack!**quack!*

norwegians: Nooooo!!!

I really should stop posting at these hours.

Koffin
07-19-2002, 02:17 PM
we have a sign that says "road bears to the left".

Aint ever seen one though (a road bear that is...)

Oh yeah and imagine the brains it took to make
a sign that says "survey crew ahead",

but they dont give you any questions to ask them....

Jan Gaarni
07-19-2002, 11:21 PM
Yeah, we have the same problem here. The damn germans! They pick down the signs! They are important warnings, not souveneirs! *grumbl* *grumbl*
Hey, Raven. She's talking about you, man. :D

And regarding the duck sign, I just assumed that you norwegians are either very paranoid, or you have some really nasty ducks over there.
Well, Norway is lagging behind the rest of the world with wierd things. :p
Seriously, I have no idea why that sign is up there. Must be some sort of naturspot or bird ... errr, ducksanctuary or something, I don't know. :rolleyes:
Norvegian Road Commision is wierd. *shakes head*

Yeah, Koffin I think I've heard about that sign. lol :p

Com Raven
07-20-2002, 08:05 PM
ha, I heard that !

and going to norway about every 2 years cause my aunt lives there, I have to say it's a cool country, but expensive as hell...

setsuko
07-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Zelda is NOT an RPG.

Lets see....

Role Playing Game, as in playing a role, as in having choises: moral choises, freedom of action, imagining how another person might think in a given situation. "Sure, I would like some popcorn, but what would a 45 year old construction worker who lives in Hampton say?" That's roleplaying. Using traits as empathy, psychology and trying to live through another entity, who has a different past, present and future than you have.

Roleplaying is perhaps the most misused word in the gaming scene. No, gaining experience and rising in levels doesn't make it a RPG. Neither is giving you the choise whether to play an elf, a dwarf or a human.

Zelda is an adventure game franchise. And a pretty good one, especially Zelda III. And I am posting at 6 am. Gotta go to bed.

Ewok Hunter
07-21-2002, 05:36 AM
anywayyyy, back some what on topic:
Originally posted by Sgt Sardaukar
I don't play many RPGs, but I might actually consider getting SWG come to think of it. The only game series for RPGs I have played is Zelda, so....
Zelda is more of an adventure or console game than a true RPG.

Com Raven
07-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Zelda is an action-adventure with some slight rpg touches...

Treacherous Mercenary
07-23-2002, 09:24 PM
I was mislead to believe all that then? Grrr....

Com Raven
07-24-2002, 05:47 AM
not that Zelda is bad of course....

not my type of game, but very well designed and executed...

D@rth M@ul
07-26-2002, 03:09 AM
Zelda was my only real rpg, if it was even that.

Majora's mask was too hard. I just threw it away.

Com Raven
07-26-2002, 08:20 AM
my first console was a ps 2, so I never got to play Zeldas much...

setsuko
07-29-2002, 12:42 PM
If Zelda is your only RPG, then you have not played a RPG :)

Com Raven
07-29-2002, 04:14 PM
that's the direct way of saying it :)

Ewok Hunter
07-29-2002, 04:25 PM
:wstupid: if I got a nickle for every time I heard some call zelda an RPG, I'd have a lot of nickles :p

Com Raven
07-29-2002, 05:55 PM
hmm, how about I say "Zelda is an rpg" all the time, and we share the nickles ?

setsuko
07-29-2002, 08:14 PM
Yes. And after I have decapitated everyone who has ever called Diablo 1 or 2 an 'rpg', we're all done! *grumbl* *grumbl*

Com Raven
07-30-2002, 08:22 AM
would you decapitate me for calling them ACTION rpgs ?

setsuko
07-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Yes. Diablo is a fun game, but really, it includes about as much roleplaying as, say, HalfLife.

Ewok Hunter
07-30-2002, 11:26 PM
:rolleyes: Lucasart's adventure games have more rpg elements than D2
^ opinion

Com Raven
07-31-2002, 09:27 AM
I see your reasoning, and I know that it's somehow right, but it's as well a fact that ppl feel that anything with skills and levels is, at least partially, a rpg...

setsuko
07-31-2002, 09:50 AM
Yes, and those people will be decapitated by me. I fail to see the problem, Com Raven :)

*chop*
*chunk*
*thudd*
*chop*

Com Raven
07-31-2002, 10:04 AM
well, looking how widespread that assumption is, I hope you have a lot of spare time...

setsuko
07-31-2002, 12:06 PM
...that, and a very sharp axe.

Ewok Hunter
07-31-2002, 03:56 PM
that means JK2 is an rpg because it has leveled skills ;)

Com Raven
07-31-2002, 07:11 PM
well, in JK , choosing your side was a rpg element...

setsuko
08-01-2002, 06:02 AM
Yes. And frankly, I consider that more of an RPG than the whole FF series. Final Fantasy is very "not-an-RPG"-ish. And still, people call it that. It's a sad, sad world we live in. ;)

Com Raven
08-01-2002, 07:16 AM
hmm, well...

it's not rpging in that you decide what to do, but you take on the role of the heroe...

setsuko
08-01-2002, 08:08 AM
With that logic, almost all games are RPG. And they are not. Because that logic is false :)

Com Raven
08-01-2002, 10:19 AM
it's not the same degree of taking on the role in othe games...

setsuko
08-01-2002, 10:52 AM
No. But fact is that they are adventure/action games, not RPG. Sorry, but sometimes I get a bit fixated with dividing things into genres. Sucks pretty bad when you try to describe to people the difference between 'triphop with newjazz influences' and 'acidhouse with hiphop samples' :D

Com Raven
08-02-2002, 09:44 AM
to me, it all sounds like .... ;)

Ewok Hunter
08-03-2002, 05:54 PM
then are liniar 'RPGs' like say QFG adventure games. uh, never mind QFG WAS labled as adventure. how about BG, the story followed pretty much the same route only changing minor story elemnts for Player choices.

setsuko
08-04-2002, 12:21 AM
There has yet to be released a true RPG for computers. It is that simple. HOWEVER, some are more RPG than others. I must say that this far, the best shots have been Fallout 1, Arcanum, Morrowind. Oh, and Neverwinter Nights CAN be a RPG. Most MMORPGs can be played as an RPG, though on most servers they are not. The dedicated roleplaying servers use to be quite ok, though.

Other than that, most RPGs are just adventure games with a little bit of choises put into them. This is not necessary bad: I like Final Fantasy, and I've played close to ALL black isle games, etc. But they are not role playing games per se, since they are not about playing a role, more about following a script. RPG is when you make that script yourself. How do you possibly manage that? By playing pen and paper RPGs, of course.

I play pen and paper when I want to roleplay. And I play "computer RPGs" when I want to play computer games. It's as simple as that: they fill two almost completely different roles *da-dum-DISH!* for me. Two different needs.

Com Raven
08-04-2002, 07:07 PM
what p&p rpgs do you play....

and NWN can be close to p&p, with the right ppl...

Ewok Hunter
08-04-2002, 07:24 PM
yeah, but how often does that happen ;)

setsuko
08-04-2002, 09:17 PM
For pen and paper I enjoy "Drakar och Demoner" (no, it's not D&D), Vampire:tm (and other WOD games), Call of Cthulhu (I have a plush Cthulhu beanie baby!), Western, Kult, and a little bit of Eon now and then. Of course, I don't play these all the time: the last year, I've only played one campaign (a Drakar och demoner campaign), which we play once a week for six hours. After one year, we are halfway through the four book long scenario. I love that! You know that you are roleplaying when an scenario that is meant to be played in 5-6 hours takes four months. Screw the munchkins; we have a story to tell.

Bountyman
08-05-2002, 10:05 AM
To answer the original question, yes, for me, they are highly addictive. I'm just worried how my gf is going to react when I get sucked in to swg. We had many arguments over my gaming in everquest. These games can truly test your relationship.

Com Raven
08-05-2002, 03:39 PM
get her to play with you...

and I know that: we spend several evenings on a simple, thin 32 page adventure...

but instead of killing the bad guy, my party called a resistance to life and made a rebellion...

Ewok Hunter
08-06-2002, 12:25 AM
well if she stayed with you through everquest SWG shouldn't be much different

Com Raven
08-07-2002, 01:53 PM
hmm, well EQ was very pixel-heavy...

but if you start looking at those gorgeously rendered SWG babes, she might think about staying :)

Ewok Hunter
08-07-2002, 02:32 PM
well if you plan on stying with her you might want to think about making a comprimise...

setsuko
08-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Compromises are baaaad. Compromises are for weak people. :)

Ewok Hunter
08-07-2002, 06:45 PM
well depending on the history it might not be prudent to completly drop he all together...