PDA

View Full Version : Camera portal texture question

MDL_Sas
07-16-2002, 08:38 AM
I am trying to make a tv in my bar and I think i got the jist of making a camera portal but I am not sure what texture shader it is

is it the area portal shader? and do I have to angle my portal at my shader for it to work..?

so far I have a flat screen tv with a portal no further than 64 away connected to a portal camera with a target position pointed at what i want viewed..

idontlikegeorge
07-16-2002, 04:02 PM
sorry i cant really help you but ill bump this thread up; maybe try out the different portal textures; experiment! maybe you will be the one answering questions on this subject!

RichDiesal
07-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Odd, quirky, and difficult thing to do. I will go over the whole thing so that I don't hafta again.

Set up the surface that you want to be the camera portal following the rules for mirrors found in this thread (http://64.246.44.70/~lucasforums.com/showthread.php?postid=627992).

Texture the surface with common/mirror_yavin (just because I like mirror_yavin) and place a misc_portal_surface within 64 units of the surface. Target the misc_portal_surface at a misc_portal_camera (placed where you want the point of view of the camera to be). THEN target the misc_portal_camera at a target_position.

Thus you should have something like:

Brush with front face covered in common/mirror_yavin

misc_portal_surface (64 units from brush):
target t1

misc_portal_camera:
targetname t1
target t2

target_position:
targetname t2

----
JO cameras/mirrors are VERY quirky about placement, so make sure you read the mirror thread to make sure you have it set up right.

winner_rex
07-31-2002, 06:06 PM
could I make a camera on a train and have a monitor inside the train show what the cam sees?

RichDiesal
07-31-2002, 08:12 PM
Theoretically, though probably not. Never tried it... why don't you? :p

winner_rex
07-31-2002, 08:24 PM
I'm busy!