PDA

View Full Version : My stubborn friend thinks EU is the offical SW storyline+lucas uses the EU

Pada-Wan
07-22-2002, 05:08 PM
my friend and i were talking about GL and how he makes his own stories up and my friend said that he takes his ideas mostly from the EU books. And that the EU is the "offical" star wars storyline. and that GL "personally" qualifies every book to be published. i told him that he makes his own stories and he has his workers qualify each book and he said i had no proof of this. so would u guys give me some proof so i can win this argument with him? ;)

s0ulblihtr
07-22-2002, 05:27 PM
EU isn't the "official" story line, but GL does authorize every one of the books that goes out. Being that he does that, I am sure that he also tries to keep all the stories together. Don't want to have a new book after ROTJ that GL wrote saying that The emperor never comes back. That could mean for a major suit against GL.

CagedCrado
07-22-2002, 06:27 PM
if one day george lucas decides the emperor never comes back, he can say that because the storyline is his. The EU books are approved by the lucas people but not necesarily george lucas himself, it is just how george wants it, the people that write EU dont really have a say and that is part of the contract it is unofficial.

Kyth'emos
07-22-2002, 06:34 PM
basicaly what CagedCrado said, though trying to tell that to one of those damn EU worshing idiots is damn near impossible.

NerfYoda
07-22-2002, 07:38 PM
The EU started in the SW fan mags with authors submitting stories. After getting Lucas (the comapany) to finally release their right to publish these stories under the Lucas label did the EU finally become semi "official". The storyline's are written by the authors, but its still Lucas' baby. If he says jump they'll say how high. eg:

Lucas thought the stories were getting stale so he requested that a major character (Chewbacca) get killed off in one of the NJO books.

Agen
07-22-2002, 07:47 PM
That's more or less it, justl iek as long as it doesn't interefere with my film saga then you're alright ;)

Clem
07-22-2002, 07:59 PM
i bet lucas reads some of these books in his spare time ..... but yeah i think hes got a group that oks the books

MotionMan
07-22-2002, 08:39 PM
Tell your friend to read my sig.
That says what is official or canon.

Pada-Wan
07-23-2002, 12:28 AM
^^where on SW.com does it say this?

Darth Knight
07-23-2002, 12:39 AM
if chewie dies or died in the mvies i would cry

Redwing
07-23-2002, 12:43 AM
Officially:

EU is a clouded window to the SW universe. (official SW magazine that I can't remember the name of, SW.com) It is superior to what unlicensed fanboys/fangirls dream up. :p

Lucas no longer reads all SW literature, except for the comics; there got to be too much of it, I suppose. Don't quote me on that; I forgot the source. :sweat:

Lucas took Coruscant, double-bladed lightsabers, the Sith, Jango Fett's armor (notice those spikes that popped out from his arms on Kamino? Yup, taken from EU comics), Holocrons (although they had to be cut from Ep 2 along with a TON of cool stuff that I would die to see on the DVD :D) among other things from EU.

EU does matter. That's the way it is.

obi
07-23-2002, 12:45 AM
My yound padawan, The EU=Garbage.

Sure, it is interesting to read, but it is not the story line. I can offer no proof that it is not the story line, but I just know.

We all know that Boba Fett Died in that Sarlacc pit, and we know that there is no Lizard that can block out force powers, and we know that just finding a lightsaber in a closet doesn't make you a jedi.

(Well, maybe there is proof after all)

Redwing
07-23-2002, 01:05 AM
I demand proof :D *knows you said you didn't have any*

Why is it that no one on the DIE EU DIE side offers anything but trying to force their own opinion on everyone else and flamin "EU-lovers". (Note I don't even like much of the EU :p)

I'm trying to explain: EU isn't absolute canon. It's partial canon. IE "Something like it happened/existed/etc". With the actual films, "That's exactly what happened/existed/etc". That isn't something I just came up with on my own, either. It's the official stance.

(Note that half the argument I'm talking about here took place on the Ep 2 forums :D)

obi
07-23-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
I demand proof :D *knows you said you didn't have any*

Why is it that no one on the DIE EU DIE side offers anything but trying to force their own opinion on everyone else and flamin "EU-lovers". (Note I don't even like much of the EU :p)

I'm trying to explain: EU isn't absolute canon. It's partial canon. IE "Something like it happened/existed/etc". With the actual films, "That's exactly what happened/existed/etc". Now that isn't something I just came up with on my own. It's the official stance.

(Note that half the argument I'm talking about here took place on the Ep 2 forums :D)

well, I didn't flame you in any way, and the "padawan" comment was to "pada-wan" so I didn't mean any offense. :)

And I agree that some(big emphasis on the word "some") EU is actually good for the movies, IE: Shadows of the Empire.

I see EU as one Huge, gigantic FanFic. Like if Fett survived the sarlacc pit, Chewie Dieing, approx. 1 mill Clones of the emporer made, etc.

MotionMan
07-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Pada-Wan
^^where on SW.com does it say this?

http://www.starwars.com/community/askjc/steve/askjc20010817.html

Pada-Wan
07-23-2002, 03:20 AM
^^^ thanks. and thank you for the guidance, master

MotionMan
07-23-2002, 03:30 AM
No problem, Im here to guide the lost ones in the right direction.
Like your foolish friend:)

Dissectional
07-23-2002, 03:59 AM
yeah that little tidbit enlightened my view on the EU. They are meant to tell the after story, but not exactly, in the way that an after story trilogy of films would.

Divine Spirit
07-23-2002, 11:09 AM
I think we should make a petition to try and get George Lucas to make a proper and difinitative statement on this whole matter!

So many times we discuss this and we dont know anything for sure because the whole Star Wars world is in his hands!

I demand a statement dammit!

:D

Kyth'emos
07-23-2002, 12:27 PM

I'm trying to explain: EU isn't absolute canon. It's partial canon. IE "Something like it happened/existed/etc". With the actual films, "That's exactly what happened/existed/etc". That isn't something I just came up with on my own, either. It's the official stance.

It isn't cannon at all. It is cannon when its in the movies, no matter where George Lucas got the idea it is cannon when it in the movies not when its written in the EU.

Redwing
07-23-2002, 05:14 PM
Yes! Thank you Motion Man, that's what I was looking for :D

Here is what I've been saying:

"The analogy is that every piece of published Star Wars fiction is a window into the 'real' Star Wars universe. Some windows are a bit foggier than others. Some are decidedly abstract. But each contains a nugget of truth to them. Like the great Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi said, 'many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.' "

*kick* I told you! :D

NwO_2k_Mutt
07-23-2002, 05:21 PM
holy crap you guys dont get out much to argue on this level do ya ? Seek the sunshine !

MotionMan
07-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Yes! Thank you Motion Man, that's what I was looking for :D

*kick* I told you! :D

Look at my sig again. ;)
We are not looking for semi canon. or a foggy window.
ABSOLUTE CANON are the movies. The rest are storys of nobodys being made into somebodys:D
If you read it again youll see a phrase that says
"SW-FICTION"-thank you and good night!:cool:

starwars.com
"they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies. "
fic·tion Pronunciation Key (fkshn)
n.

An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

Redwing
07-24-2002, 01:35 AM
Ummm...you realize , right? That Star Wars IS FICTION?? :D

I never said I was looking for absolute canon...stop trying to mold me into the image of everyone you've ever argued with before. :p ;)

The Star Wars saga is the movies alone quite simply because it is a heavily symbolic mythology. EU ruins much of the symbolism. That's why it's a clouded window. :D

You're not looking for a clouded window. But some of the rest of us may be. ;)

And no one has a right to flame another person for what they are looking for. ^_^

MotionMan
07-24-2002, 02:38 AM
I wasnt flaming you man, sorry if I sounded like I was.:(
I was just stating my veiw on the subject.

Redwing
07-24-2002, 03:56 AM
I didn't take it as a flame...I just wanted to make sure you knew what my view was. ^_~

Darth Groovy
07-24-2002, 04:19 AM
Goerge dips into the EU for material from time to time. Here are two known examples.

Example Number one:
Dash Rendar's Outrider in Star Wars Special Edition of "A New Hope".
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue38/eisley.jpg

Example Number Two:
Aayla Secura, popular in the EU.
http://galactic-voyage.com/images/Episode%20II/Aayla%20Secura.jpg

Master Moo
07-24-2002, 04:41 AM
One of the EU things that upsets me is that about 10% of all Luke's students at the Jedi academy seem to turn to the dark side. Can Luke realy be that bad of a teacher. Even if he was that bad of a teacher, it seems like more people would try to stop them.
Anyway more to the subject at hand, I think (but have no evidence to support) that GL's people read the books and sumerise them for GL. It seems to me Lucas Film is more interested in making money then keeping GL's vision clear, and will let a lot of Tom-foolry slide.

:fett:
(Boba Fett died in the Sarlacc pit but it's more fun to pretend he is still alive [like Elvis])

Redwing
07-24-2002, 06:30 AM
Actually, either Boba got out of the Sarlaac pit and died of old age, or he's in there and will be digested for a thousand years :D

*adds examples to Groovy's*

Coruscant.

Double-bladed lightsaber.

Jango Fett's armor functions.

The Sith.

Holocrons. (sadly, will only be seen on the DVD...)

Darth Groovy
07-24-2002, 07:29 AM
Actually, either Boba got out of the Sarlaac pit and died of old age, or he's in there and will be digested for a thousand years :D

*adds examples to Groovy's*

Coruscant.

Double-bladed lightsaber.

Jango Fett's armor functions.

The Sith.

Holocrons. (sadly, will only be seen on the DVD...)

Well coruscant was mentioned in the novelization of episode 4 so I can't touch that. The double bladed lightsaber I think was first introduced by Exar Kuun in the EU so you score ten points there.

You got me lost on Jango's armor funtions........which book was that?

And the sith have been needed to be explained since day one. And I think the novelization by Terry Brooks says more about the Sith than anyone ever will. But that is not EU so your 2 for 2.....sorry!

Divine Spirit
07-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Goerge dips into the EU for material from time to time. Here are two known examples.

Example Number one:
Dash Rendar's Outrider in Star Wars Special Edition of "A New Hope".
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue38/eisley.jpg

Example Number Two:
Aayla Secura, popular in the EU.
http://galactic-voyage.com/images/Episode%20II/Aayla%20Secura.jpg

hmmmmm still cant see the outrider! :confused: is it the blurry spacecraft in the distance?

top marks for the second pic! :p :D

AgentSmith
07-24-2002, 05:21 PM
Hehehe. My fav Jedi babe Aayla is canon now, hehehe. :D :p

The constructive thing I wanted to add actually was that George Lucas himself instructed the NJO authors to kill off Anakin Solo (though they had plans for him) because too much people were confusing Anakin Skywalker (Becomes Darth Vader, Ep I-Ep VI era) and Anakin Solo (Son of Han Solo and Leia Organa Solo).

Jedi_Monk
07-24-2002, 06:22 PM
The novelizations are EU or semi-canon... not everything in the novel is canon and things that are included in the book but are not in the movie (such as the explanation of the Sith's history) is highly suspect.

And if you're implying that the Sith are a completely EU creation, you're wrong. The Sith have been a part of Lucas' Star Wars almost since the beginning; the second draft of the Star Wars script says that Darth Vader is a "Black Knight of the Sith". Another exapmle of the Sith's pre-EU existance is in the script for ANH when General Tagge says: "I tell you he's gone too far. This Sith Lord sent by the Emperor will be our undoing. Until this battle station is fully operation, we are vulnerable."

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg

Redwing
07-24-2002, 11:19 PM
About Jango's armor: Not a book. The comics. Which Lucas reads alot more then the books, incidently. It's somewhere on theforce.net...

Darth Groovy
07-24-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Divine Spirit

hmmmmm still cant see the outrider! :confused: is it the blurry spacecraft in the distance?

top marks for the second pic! :p :D

Unfortunately That was the only photo I was able to locate on the web. There is a back issue of the Star Wars Insider that has an enhanced zoom so you can see it plain as day. Also if you have a good 4 head VCR with a large screen and the widescreen version of "A New Hope" the Special Edition you can just pause on that scene and see it plain as day also. So to answer your quesion....yes it is the blurry object just above the building in the center.