PDA

View Full Version : Random Map Scripts

Compa_Mighty
09-08-2001, 11:09 PM
Yeah guys, we'll be able to do great maps with so many things... cloud terrain... space terrain... so many different kinds of trees... so many editor-only units... they'll just be great!!! :D

Kvan
09-08-2001, 11:35 PM
Its gonna be a little weird going from ground to space or Sky. It looks odd.
BTW Does anyone else think/hope the "cloud" terrain should have a more Sunset look to it? I do :)

Compa_Mighty
09-08-2001, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Kvan
Its gonna be a little weird going from ground to space or Sky. It looks odd.
BTW Does anyone else think/hope the "cloud" terrain should have a more Sunset look to it? I do :)

My guess is there will be different cloud terrains... orangy, white, grayish.... I mean in Age of Kings there were around 3 per each terrain... Or let's suggest it to Gaber. ( Along with having him and Lucas in the editor ;) :) )

Paladin
09-09-2001, 09:51 AM
Yeah, in AOE there was three different grasses so there will probably be more than one cloud type

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Paladin
Yeah, in AOE there was three different grasses so there will probably be more than one cloud type

Yep, let's hope it is that way. Orange clouds would look real cool!

darthfergie
09-09-2001, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Compa_Mighty

Yep, let's hope it is that way. Orange clouds would look real cool!

I hope they have a terrain type for CITY!!!! That way you could make all those skyscrapers Easier.

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie

I hope they have a terrain type for CITY!!!! That way you could make all those skyscrapers Easier.

I bet there is one... like the stone path in AoK

darthfergie
09-09-2001, 04:50 PM

I bet there is one... like the stone path in AoK

You never know. They might just make you place buildings down one at a time like in AoK.

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 05:10 PM
Oh, I get it now. No, I don't think there'll be such terrain.

xwing guy
09-09-2001, 06:01 PM
Ahhhh... oh well.

Gamma732
09-09-2001, 07:49 PM
I hope they include a better explaination on how to make random maps in GB. I read through the whole AOK one and could just barely make a RM. Granted, I know absolutely NOTHING about any kind of programing whatsoever, but I would like it if they exlained it just a little better.

But then again, if I have any problems I'm sure some of my pals from the forums would help me out, right? ;)

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 07:52 PM
Of course we'll help!!! What are fellow forumers for ?:) Anyway I didn't know anything about programming... the first thing I programmed was a Random Map, and after it, Visual Basic was much easier.

Kvan
09-09-2001, 07:59 PM
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I haven't played with the Aok editor (and some people won't answer this question over AIM!!!) but what is a Random Map? :)

Gamma732
09-09-2001, 08:02 PM
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I haven't played with the Aok editor (and some people won't answer this question over AIM!!!) but what is a Random Map? :)

No, its not a stupid question.........even though it has nothing to do with the scenerio editor ;) A random map is a map the pc randomly generates when you go to play a skirimish-type game. You can write scripts for them defining how much/what kinds of things will appear on the map. It adds a lot of replayability.

darthfergie
09-09-2001, 08:06 PM
Of course we'll help!!! What are fellow forumers for ?:) Anyway I didn't know anything about programming... the first thing I programmed was a Random Map, and after it, Visual Basic was much easier.

:confused: you guys are strange

I picked up the random map thing in seconds. Since I never read the manuals I explore games VERY thoroughly so it was too easy. I kind stoped messing with random maps when I started disigning campaigns all the time.

Kvan
09-09-2001, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Gamma732

No, its not a stupid question.........even though it has nothing to do with the scenerio editor ;) A random map is a map the pc randomly generates when you go to play a skirimish-type game. You can write scripts for them defining how much/what kinds of things will appear on the map. It adds a lot of replayability.
Oh, that seems simple enough. Compa I take it, its a lot like VB? I know a great deal of VB :)

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 08:09 PM

Kvan, there aren't stupid questions, just stupid people that don't ask...

It's kinda like Visual Basic, through written orders you generate a map which will always be different (of course under the parameters you wrote) in skirmish, deathmatch, terminate the commander, etc...

You decide, which is the base terrain, elevations, player's units, map units, other patches of terrain, resources, etc.

darthfergie
09-09-2001, 08:10 PM

Oh, that seems simple enough. Compa I take it, its a lot like VB? I know a great deal of VB :)

NOOO It is easy to use they just don't now what they are talking about!!!:p

Compa_Mighty
09-09-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by darthfergie

NOOO It is easy to use they just don't now what they are talking about!!!:p

Believe me Kvan, there are several instructions that are very similar, and Fergie, I never said it was difficult. I said it was the first thing I programmed, and that it eased VB for me.