PDA

View Full Version : BUG - Republic unbeatable

simwiz2
08-10-2002, 10:31 PM
I was playing a multiplayer game and discovered a bug that makes the republic unbeatable on some space maps. If the republic can get to T4, research mind trick and get a starfighter, then they are unbeatable. There is no detector unit (other than UU's) that can fly. So if you put the starfighters out of range of land sentry posts/bounties, they cannot be killed, unless you are playing against rebels or another republic. It is an unbeatable roaching tactic (not that I would ever roach).

So here are some fixes that could be implemented to prevent abuse of this bug.

*Starfighters not keep person in game. In other words, they would be like turrets, such that having a turret (or starfighter) surviving does not prevent you from losing.

*Make fighters detector units. Not recommended as this may ruin the importance of jedi and starfighters.

*Make Bothan Spies reveal stealth units. Not recommended as this could reduce the importance of stealth units.

Sithmaster_821
08-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Or you could be a respectable player and not roach. Just my two cents.

simwiz2
08-10-2002, 10:35 PM
I don't roach. But not everyone is as respecable as I am, and would abuse this bug.

CorranSec
08-11-2002, 03:56 AM
Well, that is interesting.
The fact is that not many people would think of that, and if they thought they might lose, they'd actually defend their base with their starfighters.
The other point is that the evil people who would do things like that but just haven't thought of it yet have come in here and SEEN your post, and by posting it, you've given them a tactic.
Pretty bad huh?
I don't believe that implementing any of the ideas you proposed would either help out the game or be fair in maps other than space maps. There aren't that many stealth units anyway, and everyone gets Bothan Spynet eventually. Fighters could act as airborne scouts with your proposed upgrade.. this would make scouts obsolete once you reach tech 3.
What I propose is a new air unit that has stealth-detecting technology. This may be a little unbalancing; it couldn't be slow, or it would be useless, but too fast and they could sweep enemy bases. Starfighters should count as a unit, because otherwise big units of starfighters designed for defence/running away/ etc. wouldn't count and would screw up the republic a bit.
So it should be around bomber speed, and to prevent easy detection of jedi etc. and making the scout useless, it should be designed to locate air stealth units.
This may also unbalance land maps... so you could make it useable only on space maps.
It's also tailored anti-republic, so it depowers the Republic a bit.
Damn. I just paid out my own idea.

Another way is to have a 'stealth sweeper' tech like in StarCraft... that would be cool.
I'm fairly respectable. I wouldn't do that, that's just dumb and denying a good player a fair kill.

Kryllith
08-11-2002, 12:08 PM
If I were in a game where the situation got to this point; I'd just end the game (if bothans didn't show anything existing and I'd covered the ground enough to know that no jedi were in existence). The game it pretty much over anyway since the opponent has no way of building anything anymore (or even collecting resources). It's sort of like chess, where the jedi starfighters represent the king standing on it's own. Even if the opponent doesn't actually TAKE the king, the game is over...

Kryllith

Bulzye
08-11-2002, 10:26 PM
simwiz2: "I don't roach. But not everyone is as respecable as I am, and would abuse this bug."

You're a lying **** and you know it! I was the one that played him in the game where he found the bug (which btw he sucks). After I destroyed his base he roached. He pointed out that he roached and up until this point he still says "You didn't win! I was never defeated!".

So simwiz, here's the question that I ask you. Did I win? Let's analyze the outcomes of your response.

1) "Yes Bulzye, you won. You beat me fair and square. Even though the map that we played which I(simwiz2) built myself was made in favor of me. You still won because you are so good and I am so bad"

Result: I won the game, and you admit it.

2) "No Bulzye, I'm a roacher. Even though I did eventually resign (so if you're looking for technicalities I won), you didn't win because I roached and I'm a stupid honorless roacher."

Result: I still won, but everyone on the forum knows you roached and lied too.

GOD I'm good :)

Compa_Mighty
08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
The thing is that it's not a bug, it's just exploiting the unit.

simwiz2
08-12-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Bulzye
simwiz2: "I don't roach. But not everyone is as respecable as I am, and would abuse this bug."

You're a lying **** and you know it! I was the one that played him in the game where he found the bug (which btw he sucks). After I destroyed his base he roached. He pointed out that he roached and up until this point he still says "You didn't win! I was never defeated!".
Fine, so I roached once because it was right when I discovered it and I wanted to see if it worked. Then, after an entire 2 minutes, I had to get off the computer and I left, so you won anyway. Besides, I would not have had the patience to sit for long with a few starfighters sitting over the space. Btw I was JOKING when I said you never technically defeated me, it was obvious you won. You know what a joke is right?

So simwiz, here's the question that I ask you. Did I win? Let's analyze the outcomes of your response.

1) "Yes Bulzye, you won. You beat me fair and square. Even though the map that we played which I(simwiz2) built myself was made in favor of me. You still won because you are so good and I am so bad"
What the hell kind of lies are you trying to tell, half this **** is nowhere near the truth. The map was even, I made certain myself, with the exeption of ONE NOVA CHUNK (omg how incredibly earth-shattering) which was an error. There were many nova chunks, and they are hard to count because they form one piece when they are placed together. You of course being constantly paranoid were the only one who could notice an erroneous nova chunk on a map with at least 40. And how the hell does you being a bit better than me in 1v1 GB make me bad? So if I find someone on the zone who is better than you then you suck at GB? Actually Sithmaster can beat you, so Sithmaster is so good and you are so bad? Makes as much sense as half the stuff you are ranting about. And IIRC in that zone game we had, who had all the points? I rushed and took down an entire opponent while you sat around trying to decide how to rush one of the other opponents effectively (I saw your attack, it sucked). You even had Sithmaster helping you, yet you were unable to take down a little turret. And don't give me any "it was high resources, you had an advantage" crap, because EVERYONE had high resources, I just used mine more effectively.

Result: I won the game, and you admit it.

2) "No Bulzye, I'm a roacher. Even though I did eventually resign (so if you're looking for technicalities I won), you didn't win because I roached and I'm a stupid honorless roacher."

Result: I still won, but everyone on the forum knows you roached and lied too.

What the hell are you talking about, you are making about as much sense DK_Viceroy's fragmented ideas in the second Gunship poll thread. Are your quotes supposed to represent something that I might in a million years actually say? Are they supposed to be the truth? Either way they sure as hell aren't very accurate. As I said, I only roached that one time because I had just discovered and exploit and I wanted to see if it would work. Not only do I willingly admit defeat when I lose a game, I rarely have to because I win about 98% of my MP games.

I notice you only have one post, and I know you weren't a member of Lucasforums before now. Did you seriously register just to start a flame war with me? That is so very, very sad. I truly pity you. Besides all that you are being a hypocrite, calling me a lying **** while you make up stories about an uneven map and me constantly roaching. Very sad indeed.

pbguy1211
08-12-2002, 03:21 AM
roaching = last guys hiding out so they cant technically be defeated?

Bulzye
08-12-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to turn this into a personal battle, I can do that off forum if I want, which I will ;).

But let me close by saying roachers = (fill in whatever you find appropriate)

Kryllith
08-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by pbguy1211
roaching = last guys hiding out so they cant technically be defeated?
Basically yeah... cheesey stalemate is what it is. Though its pointless since everyone knows who the winner is in such an outcome anyway. As for simwiz2 doing it... *shrug*... I know lots of people who will try something just to see if it can be done (that's what finding bugs, loopholes, etc are all about). He freely admits to it; so frankly it's no big deal. :) If nothing else, he should be commended for finding the flaw that makes it possible.

Btw, if you want a suggestion for fixing the flaw. Allow something (workers, or perhaps a command center or something) to build space probes that work like water probes/watch towers. Then let ait transports pick them up like they would any other unit and place them out in space. It's a slow going strategy since the starfighters could attack the probes, but if fighters were used to guard the probes and the transports, it would certainly work (especially against an opponent who no longer had the capability to build more starfighters).

Kryllith

pbguy1211
08-12-2002, 12:35 PM
Okay... explain to me if this is roaching... I was in a game over the weekend. 6 player RM, 3v3. One of my teammates quit early. But his base was fairly hidden so they didnt wipe it out and I was able to use his spaceport. Thank god... my other teammate was fairly a n00b as were 2 guys on the opposing team. My one teammate was getting hammered by their good guy and I took out their 2 crappy guys. However, my teammate hid in the back and sides of my base, and those 2 hid in the back of his. And it was a pain in tha @$$ but eventually I got them all, even after my partner disconnected.
Their good guy stormed my not so fortified center base, and made his way to my main one which was well defended. But didn't expect 10 AC's coming in the back door and wiping up his entire base. Sucks when you have a big army but no prefabs :p
The AC's then took care of the rest. So were these 3 guys roaching?

Kryllith
08-12-2002, 09:03 PM
I'm taking roaching to mean setting it up so that the opponent CANNOT win (or otherwise abusing something). I could be wrong, but that's the way I read it. I would hardly consider allies building in and around each other in order to increase their defensive stance as abusing something...

Of course, I might be reading you wrong. What specifically do you think might be roaching on their part?

Kryllith

simwiz2
08-13-2002, 12:27 AM
Roaching is hiding or fleeing a few units after you have been clearly defeated, your buildings gone, no workers, no hope to build more, no purpose to it whatsoever except to try to gain victory by forcing the other person to resign (possibly if he gets fed up searching for the unit). However, all roachers can eventually be found, with the exception of this exploit. It is unique because it is IMPOSSIBLE to see the starfighters if they are placed properly, and therefore impossible to destroy them even if you have your entire air force sitting next to them. Only the Rebels or another Republic player have the detector units (Airspeeder and Starfighter) to fly over space and see the Starfighters.

Btw I just thought of something, the Empire can probably defeat this too, using its probots - they are detectors right? Probots can go over all terrain, including space, and find the starfighters if they are detectors.

pbguy1211
08-13-2002, 04:44 AM
K... that's just being a friggin loser.
BTW, simwiz, where are you in jersey?

jcb231
08-13-2002, 05:23 PM
I think that Bothan spynet should work more like the Terran scan technology in Star Craft. In that game, you used the scanner at your command center (which recovered energy between scans at a slow pace) to click on an area of the map. That area was revealed in all its glory for several seconds....then it faded back to the "explored, but not visible" grey. I don't remember if it let you see stealth units or not, but that feature could be added for GB...Bothan spynet is a little too powerful for my tastes as it stands right now, so maybe changing it to something like this would work better, as well as solving the stealth roaching problem.

Kryllith
08-13-2002, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I always thought the bothans should show a brief view of where everything is (cept possibly stealth, though even that's possible) for about 10 seconds or so. After that, it would go back to the explored, but not viewed variation. Buildings would still show as being there, but units wouldn't, nor would any new buildings (or even destroyed buildings, if the person who used the spynet didn't destroy them). Subsequently, a player might use the bothans multiple times, with the most expensive cost being the first and the others being a fair bit cheaper (since it would most likely be used to hunt down hiding units).

Kryllith

CorranSec
08-14-2002, 06:20 AM
Yeah, Jcb, that's what I meant. If my disconnected discourse made any sense.
The ComScan thing, or whatever it was called, did reveal stealth units; that's why it was so remarkably useful. Eg, if your base was under attack by Ghosts or those Zerg things that burrowed in Brood War, you could sensor sweep the area and have your men take them out.
Of course, this purpose is rendered fairly useless in SW:GB as all cloaked units decloak when attacking anyway, but it would still be incredibly useful and not as powerful as the Bothan Spynet, which I always thought was a ineptly named and overpowered upgrade.

eizo131
08-15-2002, 06:01 AM
err well I don't know if this roaching but I use starfighters to terrorize unprotected workers and spy on their production facilities i.e. troop centers, etc... is that roaching? Jedi , Sith and Jedi starfighters do not turn up on ANYTHING unless attacking or of course detector units. But the republic is NOT invincible unless the player is a sore loser that i when they hide troops.:fett:

Darth Windu
08-15-2002, 07:47 AM
eizo - no, thats not roaching.

I also think that the bothan spynet is way too good, and should be taken out of the game. Instead the rebels should lose some heavy weapons such as the assault mech, but get a 'bothan spy' unit that works like the spy in the C&C: Red Alert series. Its abilities would be that if you got it in a building, it would give you certain advatages such as-
-Command center - LOS of units
-unit producing buildings - lets you see what their building/queing
-resource buildings - steals a certain amount of that resource

Kryllith
08-15-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by eizo131
err well I don't know if this roaching but I use starfighters to terrorize unprotected workers and spy on their production facilities i.e. troop centers, etc... is that roaching? Jedi , Sith and Jedi starfighters do not turn up on ANYTHING unless attacking or of course detector units. But the republic is NOT invincible unless the player is a sore loser that i when they hide troops.:fett:
Well first it's not roaching because you're actually using your starfighters to engage in battle (or to spy). Your starfighters are still vulnerable at this point because if a scout or similar detector unit comes across them then your opponent can counterattack. If you were simply hiding them in hopes of nobody being able to find them so you wouldn't lose, then you're roaching.

Kryllith

pbguy1211
08-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Windu, if you have so many problems with the game, then just stop playing it so we don't have to hear you whine about it.

simwiz2
08-15-2002, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Darth Windu
eizo - no, thats not roaching.

(1) I also think that the bothan spynet is way too good, and should be taken out of the game. (2)Instead the rebels should lose some (3)heavy weapons such as the assault mech, but get a (4)'bothan spy' unit that works like the spy in the C&C: Red Alert series. Its abilities would be that if you got it in a building, it would give you certain advatages such as-
(5)-Command center - LOS of units
-unit producing buildings - lets you see what their building/queing
-resource buildings - steals a certain amount of that resource

1 - Your idea would be a dream come true for the non-starfighter roachers.

2 - Just leave the rebels alone, is the comp beating you with them and you want to depower them?

3 - Hate to break it to you but the assault mech is not a heavy weapon.

4 - If C&C is so great then go play it and shut up. Or ask LucasArts to make GB2 using the C&C engine, since they obviously won't make their own. :rolleyes:

5 - Okay, you don't want to depower them, you want to OVERPOWER them. LOS of units is a valuable thing, and all a rebel player has to do is put a spy in a CC? And no one else gets it? And no, that's not strong enough, now they can steal resources, and see exactly what kind of units are being built to counter them.

Darth Windu
08-16-2002, 11:13 AM
simwiz - there is certainly no need for the bothan spynet to be as good as it currently is. Also, by 'heavy weapon' i was refering to any weapon that happened to be heavy, and im pretty sure an assault mech would be heavy. What im saying with the rebels is that they need to be more of a shoot-n-scoot civ with good intelligence, wheras the empire for example would use brute force. There really needs to be a bigger difference between the civs, and i think a start would be denying civs some units, as was done in the original AoE.

simwiz2
08-16-2002, 11:34 AM
(1) simwiz - there is certainly no need for the bothan spynet to be as good as it currently is. (2) Also, by 'heavy weapon' i was refering to any weapon that happened to be heavy, and im pretty sure an assault mech would be heavy. (3) What im saying with the rebels is that they need to be more of a shoot-n-scoot civ with good intelligence, wheras the empire for example would use brute force. (4) There really needs to be a bigger difference between the civs, and i think a start would be denying civs some units, (5) as was done in the original AoE.

1 - No, there isn't. But I could think of several ideas better than the one you suggested.

2 - What you are refering to is something called a mech, not a heavy weapon.

3 - Now Rebels would not only be one of the few civs able to counter starfighter roach, they would be the ONLY civ to counter a regular roach without taking several hours searching the map. EVERYONE needs the bothan spy tech, whether its potency is reduced or not. Seeing all unit LOS is just too valuable to give to one civ only.

4 - That could work in a non-generic unit game.

5 - The original AoE was unbalanced as hell. Not a good direction for GB to take.

Darth Windu
08-16-2002, 11:46 AM
simwiz - assault mechs such as the AT-AT would be heavy right? Getting back to the spynet, giving everyone the opportunity to see everything their opponent is doing i think takes some of the fun out of the game, and is also totally unrealistic. Also, with denying civs some units, i think it needs to be done. At the moment, almost every civ in the entire star wars universe is almost identical! An example would be that in the original AoE, the Yamato were very good with cavalry, but poor in most other areas, while the greeks were good with siege weapons and hoplites.

pbguy1211
08-16-2002, 09:19 PM
You friggin' rube...

AT-AT = Mech. You build them in the Mech Center.

Pummels, Artillery & Mobile Anti Air = Heavy Weapons... You build them in the Heavy Weapons Center.

Darth Windu
08-17-2002, 04:46 AM
jesus frickin christ...i am talking about the weight of the weapon, not where it's built! An AT-AT is a weapon. It is heavy. It is therefore a heavy weapon, wether it is a mech or not is irrelevant. Besides, the term 'mech' is wrong anyway, an animal with a gun on it (gungans) isnt mechanised.

eizo131
08-17-2002, 05:40 AM
Well what darth windu wants to say is ATATs ARE WEAPONS AND THEIR ARE HEAVY FORGET THE FACT THAT IT IS CALLED A MECH LOL.:atat: I think that their should be spies in SWGB anyways back to the invicible republic thing. Did you notice that the computer gives up when you kill half it's base? That is so that it doesan't cheat like some players... ( no names plz )
P.S. what do the names above your pictures mean? ie mine is bantha fodder

Darth Windu
08-17-2002, 08:48 AM
It's just a 'rank' and when you achieve a certain number of posts, you advance to the next rank, just a bit of fun.

eizo131
08-19-2002, 04:46 AM
I quess I am as low as you get......:fett:

eizo131
08-19-2002, 04:54 AM
I quess I am as low as you get......:fett:

Jethro
08-20-2002, 09:47 PM
You are not that bright. Do you think that something the size of a house isn't heavy? DUH! If that's what you meant then they were ALL heavy.

Jethro, revenge is sweet

simwiz2
08-20-2002, 10:10 PM
BTW, simwiz, where are you in jersey?

South Brunswick

You friggin' rube...

LOL! Poor Windu.

Besides, the term 'mech' is wrong anyway, an animal with a gun on it (gungans) isnt mechanised.

This is a good example of idiotic logic. For 7 out of the 8 civs it is accurate. For the Gungans almost EVERYTHING is some kind of creature. In GB a mech is a unit built at the Mech Factory and tends to be somewhat more expensive yet stronger (except scouts). Whether it is an animal or not is irrelivent. Do you have a better term to use? And please, please, please don't say heavy weapon.

Jethro
08-20-2002, 11:01 PM
By just putting so many AA turrets around that it's impoosible for the ship to be anywhere without being shot?

Jethro, there's always a solution, even if it means driving (or flying) to his house and breaking his modem

pbguy1211
08-21-2002, 01:48 AM
ah, i used to live in milltown... then in old bridge...

i'm in edison now

Darth Windu
08-21-2002, 07:20 AM
jethro - thats the point. What im saying is the rebels should be more of a 'muhajadeen' faction, relying heavily on troops. Can you seriously see the muhajadeen using MBT's against the Soviets during the war in Afghanistan?

Jethro
08-21-2002, 10:55 AM
Great airfare. Now why would they need to rely on troopers, when they have airfare?

Jethro, what does this have to do with this topic? I forget...

Jethro
08-21-2002, 10:57 AM
The word that you used in quotes. My vocabulary is too small.

Jethro, thanks

Sithmaster_821
08-28-2002, 07:01 PM
I don't roach
My @$$!! Also, you DO make maps that favor one strat (turtle war of attrition)

Bulzye, you tell him. Also, i didnt know you perused the forums. I think you should be posting more often (you know what threads im talking about, right?). While im on the subject, how did the 3v3 end? I know my rebel mounties were owning that turtle but why were you and Will still in t3?

Windu, i swear to god if you mention adding another unit to the game...! Shut up already. Not only is the spy a dumb unit, it seems to me like you are trying to make this game more like C&C so you can actually get past the first scenerio in the learning campaign. Spies (and, subsequently, Bothan Spy Net) was added to prevent annoying little SOBs like yourself from running with one villie around the map undetected, a problem that plagued AoE the original. Also, try to stop acting like you know the littlest bit of anything

then in old bridge...
Grrrr.. old bridge. Did you go to school there?

Kyrillth, jcb, pbguy, et al.-Roaching is, when you know you lost, either hiding out in a remote corner of the map with a small army or once your base and army are destroyed, running around with a handful of villies building lumber camps or troop centers. Be grownup and admit defeat. 50% of all games are lost. There is nothing wrong with losing. There is also nothing wrong with making up excuses (it doesnt hurt:)).

Darth Windu
08-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Sithmaster - if you had any ideas of your own, i would probably take notice of you. How exactly is my spy idea dumb? It works, and i think it would make the game a lot more interesting.

lukeiamyourdad
08-29-2002, 12:07 PM
Don't ask why to other people windu...ask it to yourself first why they think your idea is dumb then come and ask him...if you still have an argument left.

simwiz2
08-29-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Sithmaster_821

(1) My @$$!! Also, you DO make maps that favor one strat (turtle war of attrition)

(2)While im on the subject, how did the 3v3 end? I know my rebel mounties were owning that turtle but why were you and Will still in t3?

Aww, do you have to ruin everything? There was some really funny Windu-bashing going on here, and you change the subject!

1 - ??? I roach? Or are you trying to be funny? (Key word is trying) Unless not giving up after one battle is roaching (even when I still had my entire town left) then I don't roach with the exception of the time I was trying out this bug (which I already explained). That turtle map I made was just to see what the game would be like, a sort of experiment. You say I "tend" to make maps "favoring one strategy" yet I have only made 2 GB maps and one of them was for my first MP game against you. So how could you judge my preferred strategy based on 2 maps?

2 - After you left, the Empire player that I rushed fled to the other Empire player and I mopped up his base. Then I destroyed the original Empire player and started denting the other Empire player's base, forward building a few fortresses and military buildings while my mounties took out turrets. I started to go t4, and about that time Bulzeye finally took out the turret he was attacking and his massive army of 1 berserker flooded through. The other, unscathed enemy had to leave, and the one remaining empire player resigned as my armies flooded into his town. The sad thing was that you had more points than Bulzeye even though you left halfway though. :)

simwiz2
09-01-2002, 06:01 PM
How exactly is my spy idea dumb? It works, and i think it would make the game a lot more interesting.

How exactly is your spy idea good? Because it works? The current bothan spies tech works, so you will need to come up with something better than that. As someone else already said, when you suggest an idea, the burden of proof is on you.

Also, IMO your idea will be a micromanaging hell, and will overpower the Rebels, even if you take away their heavy weapon / assault mech. :lol:

Sithmaster_821
09-01-2002, 06:02 PM
Simwiz, i remember a little AoK player who made single-chokepoint, nonrush, turtle, Black Forest maps exclusively.

Yeah bulzye does suck. My mounties/air would have mopped things up alot quicker.

Windu, my idea (unique unit set for next Star Wars RTS) is very popular, even YOU support it. On the other hand, your ideas are...well i dont need to explain, a windu idea is self explanitory.

Your spy idea tilts the game way to much towards the Rebs, thus people would play them exclusively. If you cant balance it Lucasarts cant either.

simwiz2
09-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Simwiz, i remember a little AoK player who made single-chokepoint, nonrush, turtle, Black Forest maps exclusively.

Umm, sure, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you're not thinking of yourself?

I never was that great of an AoK player, but I do NOT turtle - in any game.

And even if I did, this is about GB, not AoK. They are two different games.

Sithmaster_821
09-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Are you sure you're not thinking of yourself?
No im certain im thinking about you.I never was that great of an AoK player, but I do NOT turtle - in any game.
Thats a laugh, mr. no-attack-until-imperial-so-i-can-build-my-rows-of-korean-towers/walls-in-my-especially-made-black-forest-maps.And even if I did, this is about GB, not AoK. They are two different games.
SWGB is practially an X-pack or a large mod for AoK.

Darth Windu
09-02-2002, 05:37 AM
The spy, apart from bringing more realism, would make the game more fun in my opinion. To me, just researching one tech that allows you to see everything takes away realism, and also some of the fun by being able to know exactly where the enemy will attack from.

If it would unbalanced the rebels, just give the spy to everyone, and i assure you, the micromanagement isnt that big or hard.

simwiz2
09-02-2002, 10:53 AM
The spy, apart from bringing more realism, would make the game more fun in my opinion. To me, just researching one tech that allows you to see everything takes away realism, and also some of the fun by being able to know exactly where the enemy will attack from.

If it would unbalanced the rebels, just give the spy to everyone, and i assure you, the micromanagement isnt that big or hard.

There are still better ways to have the spy thing work. Possibly the tech could be cheaper but only last a certain amount of time.

Or here's another idea. When you get Bothan Spynet (at the same price) your opponent is notified but they can take away your spies by researching Counter-Spies (for about the same price). Then, anyone could still research spies again, if they have enough nova and then people could research counter-spies. That way it could still take out roachers (since they won't have much nova or workers), but to get permanent spies on another player who is still doing well would be very, very hard. Maybe researching counter-spies would take slightly longer, so that Bothan Spynet can be timed to give valuable intelligence during attacks.

(1) No im certain im thinking about you.
(2) Thats a laugh, mr. no-attack-until-imperial-so-i-can-build-my-rows-of-korean-towers/walls-in-my-especially-made-black-forest-maps.
(3) SWGB is practially an X-pack or a large mod for AoK.

First I would like to say that I would rather not bore everyone by responding to your pathetic attempts to seem better than me at a GAME, or to make yourself look better by trying to make me look bad. So after this how about you shut up rather than dragging this thread off topic. And remember it is a computer GAME, so get a life and stop obsessing over it. :p

1 - I already said I don't turtle. Stop imagining things.

2 - I never told you not to attack till Imperial, though you never did rush because you were too busy turtling. Similarly, the rest of your statement is also bull****.

3 - This sounds like something Windu would say. An X-pack is something that adds something to a game, and you generally need the original game to run it. I hate to break it to you, but just because two games use the same engine does not make one an X-pack. You see, AoK is kind of a game with guys with swords and horsies and arrows and castles. GB is a STAR WARS game, with lasers and tie fighters and X wings and jedi and mechs (which are heavy as Windu informed us all) and missiles and turrets (but thankfully no useless Gunship UU) and shields, and a lot of other star wars stuff.

Now I know you're going to reply with other lies just so you can get the last word in, but I am not going to reply to any similar posts from you. It is boring to me and to everyone who has to read it. :bored: If you find stuff like this so fun then why not go back to Windu bashing? :) At least THAT was fun to read! :D

Sithmaster_821
09-02-2002, 01:50 PM
And remember it is a computer GAME, so get a life and stop obsessing over it.
Will, whose life revolves around waiting for their sister to get off the computer so that they can go on and play games? And who plays sports year round and isnt on the computer cause hes out doing something? Thought so.
1 - I already said I don't turtle. Stop imagining things.
Bulzye would agree with me. :p
2 - I never told you not to attack till Imperial, though you never did rush because you were too busy turtling. Similarly, the rest of your statement is also bull****.
I couldnt attack until imp because no 2nd or 3rd age units could break though your lines of walls and towers:D
3 - This sounds like something Windu would say. An X-pack is something that adds something to a game, and you generally need the original game to run it. I hate to break it to you, but just because two games use the same engine does not make one an X-pack. You see, AoK is kind of a game with guys with swords and horsies and arrows and castles. GB is a STAR WARS game, with lasers and tie fighters and X wings and jedi and mechs (which are heavy as Windu informed us all) and missiles and turrets (but thankfully no useless Gunship UU) and shields, and a lot of other star wars stuff.
Yeah but that stuff is all cosmetic;) ;)

Also, i would flame windu for his horrificly dumb idea but you kinda took all my points:) It seems your pondering what im pondering, pinky:D

MadrixTF
09-13-2002, 07:55 AM
I don't seem to understand this Roaching principle:
Scenario: If you destroy my base, but i happen to get away (with say 2 workers and a few miltary units) - the game can't be over - i could rebuild an entire Empire with just one worker unless you find me! That's what Spynet is for. So, how can that be roaching - or is it when there are NO workers left?

pbguy1211
09-13-2002, 09:47 AM
That's EXACTLY what the Spynet is for! To wipe out those last few guys! It's not to plan an attack on your enemy, but to finish them off.

Kryllith
09-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by MadrixTF
I don't seem to understand this Roaching principle:
Scenario: If you destroy my base, but i happen to get away (with say 2 workers and a few miltary units) - the game can't be over - i could rebuild an entire Empire with just one worker unless you find me! That's what Spynet is for. So, how can that be roaching - or is it when there are NO workers left?
You can still win a war with no workers, provided that both sides are severely weakened and you still have a decent military. But yeah, usually when you're out of workers and either don't have a command center (or don't have the resources to make new workers) then the war's over. Anything past it is just a stalling effort to an inevitable conclusion. Of course, some would say that it's over before that if you're well out-numbered, but guerilla tactics against overwhelming odds has proven successful so...

Kryllith

simwiz2
09-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Roaching is generally no workers, no unit-creation buildings (CC, TC, MF, Airbase, Fortress) and only a few units. Basically if you have absolutely no way to EVER make more units and you hide some units then you are roaching.

lukeiamyourdad
09-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Roaching is when you have obviously lost and some idiot keeps one or two units in hidden places so you will get tired of searching and give up, you usually hate these guys.........

CorranSec
09-16-2002, 04:11 AM
Roaching is what luke's dad said. If you're "hiding" away units so you can rebuild a base, that's not roaching. It's recovering, and hoping the other guy isn't smart enough to get spynet.:)
If you still have an army that ran away when your base is destroyed, and are preparing for an attack, that's OK too. But just hiding a guy or two or doing something tricky like the Jedi Starfighter thing (which this thread is supposed to be about), that's roaching.

Simwiz.... sith... people... calm down. I don't think the rest of us care or want to hear your accusations and denials of roaching etc. :) Though it might be good if I ever play against you. :p

I don't really like this spy thing. Other people have already said why it's bad, and I'm too lazy too, so i'll just state my opposition. :D I have yet another idea to replace/complement Bothan Spynet, but I'll leave that for another day... it's only in conception right now.