PDA

View Full Version : Was Bane perhaps Sidious master?

JediNyt
08-25-2002, 12:27 AM
Ive never heard anyone talk about who Banes apprentice or Sidious Master was. We know that the force can greatly increases your longevity so do you think perhaps Sidious is the apprentice of Bane? Is there any info on this?

Btw is Bane canon? Did George create him? Even if hes not in the movies if George created him hes canon.

Legacy_Of_Sith
08-25-2002, 01:37 AM
I'm not sure if Bane is Canon. I doubt he would be able to live several centuries long enought to train Sidious.

Ratmjedi
08-25-2002, 02:16 AM
Yoda wasn't even around at the time that Bane was around. So that must tell you that Bane did not teach Sidiouse.
:duel: :lsduel:

JediNyt
08-25-2002, 03:49 AM
But who knows how old Bane and Sidious were? You never know Sidious age. Perhaps Bane lived a thousand years and Sidious lived a thousand years. Perhaps Yodas species without the Force does not live as long as humans.

Kit fisto JK
08-25-2002, 04:03 AM
:rolleyes: the dark side of the force has no affect on your age at all

Ratmjedi
08-25-2002, 04:19 AM
Yes it does. I would start typing but I am tired and want to go to bed. Anybody want to fill him on what the Force does to you?

Holo-Sidious
08-25-2002, 06:56 AM
There is a very weak theory that Darth Bane is still alive to this day. He will reveal himself in "Episode III - Rise of the Empire" with a whole host of new Sith Lords (including a clone of Darth Maul and Darth Tyranus) to combat Darth Sidious and Darth Vader (who turns to the Dark Side in the first half-hour of the film) over who will rule the galaxy. Sidious barely defeats Bane, and Vader displays much skill in wiping out the multiple Sith Lords. This very old Darth Bane says that he created the "only two Sith" rule so that he could gather his forces and bide his time until the two Sith Lords take over the galaxy, then he just walks in, kills the two Sith and claims all the credit. As I said, very weak and unbelievable. Still, could be interesting...

:holosid:

Also, who has actually seen Darth Bane... he has only been mentioned randomly in a few books about the Dark Side. No back-story about him, no images and no word on how he died (or not).

Norin Radd
08-25-2002, 10:27 AM
Darth Bane lived a thousand years before Episode I. It is unlikely that he was Sidious' master, unless his spirit trained Sidious, like Freedon Nadd trained Exar Kun(these guys are all EU, BTW).

Being a Sith does effect your age, in that utilizing the Dark Force drains your life over time, which is why Sith Lords have perfected the arcane art of transferring their life force to other beings. As far as Sidious' age, being human, he could not be a thousand years old. I personally believe that Sidious found a Sith Holocron or some other channel of Dark Force knowledge and trained himself.:D

ckcsaber
08-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Where did Bane come from. I'm assuming comics

Legacy_Of_Sith
08-25-2002, 02:09 PM
This seems silly but i always had a mental picture of Bane being a Zabrak.

Ratmjedi
08-25-2002, 03:44 PM
I've seen a picture of him from another website when I was surfing one day. All he looks like is a mongol with a cape. He is also very big and buff looking. I also read an alleged script of what Holo- Sidiouse said. But I think it is very unlikely.

Norin Radd
08-25-2002, 09:33 PM
This is the depiction of him in the "Secrets of The Sith" book. I think it looks the coolest out of the few photos of him that I've seen. Very little is known about Bane's background. Though all sources agree that he was the father of the New Sith Order.

http://www.starwars.nu/bilder/bildarkiv/guide/darthbane_close_o.jpg

He stayed in the shadows until the Sith War had all but destroyed the old order, then he was the only living Sith Lord, who initiated the "rule of two". Master and Apprentice.:D

JediNyt
08-25-2002, 09:48 PM
The Force DOES increase your longevity. Yoda lived 900 years. You might say "Thats because his species lives that long" No one knows anything about Yodas species. Only George. The Force makes you live longer! Dont know how much longer exactly but a lot is for sure. Sidious probably was not trained by Bane but he still lived a long time im sure. No one knows who his master was. No one knows who Banes apprentice was. George will probably not decide who they are. He probably doesnt care. I think thats all there is to discuss.

Norin Radd
08-25-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by DarkJediNut
The Force DOES increase your longevity.

The Light force prolongs your life. The Dark Force drains it away. Do you ever wonder why Sidious looked like death walking?

JediNyt
08-25-2002, 10:27 PM
He sure kept "ticking" though. And he was still very powerful.:lightning

Legacy_Of_Sith
08-25-2002, 11:11 PM
Palpatine is still the toughest walking carcass I know of, with the exception of Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th.

Taos
08-26-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Legacy_Of_Sith
Palpatine is still the toughest walking carcass I know of, with the exception of Jason Voorhees from Friday the 13th.

OOOhhh man, you had to go there!!! He will live long than Yoda....even his spirit will kill people. Man....Jason X?? :D

:chop1: :hang1: :blaze6: :launcher:

Do what you can.....he just keeps coming!!!:eek: :p :rolleyes:

JediNyt
08-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Jason Voorhees is the stupidest ass piece of **** idea pulled out of some hippie directors fat ass! Just my opinion.:rolleyes:

Legacy_Of_Sith
08-26-2002, 05:26 PM
Don't worry DarkJediNut, you didn't offend me. Your opinion is valid.

Taos
08-26-2002, 06:59 PM
I don't really know my EU very well.....is Darth Bane before or after Exar Kun????

ckcsaber
08-26-2002, 07:04 PM
I think hes from before Exar Kun

Jedi_Monk
08-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Darth Bane comes after Exar Kun. According to the EU timeline, Exar Kun is 4,000 years before ANH while Bane is 3,000 years later. Darth Bane was a member of the Sith Brotherhood, a Dark Side cult that had little relationship with the ancient Sith. The Sith Brotherhood was challenged on Ruusan by the Army of the Light led by General Hoth and the Dark Siders created a "thought bomb" that destroyed both armies (this is what created the Valley of the Jedi). Darth Bane was the last survivor of the Sith Brotherhood, and seeing that the very nature of the Dark Side prevented there from being more than two Sith Lords. This is all from the comic series "Jedi vs. Sith", and Darth Bane does take on an apprentice at the end of this series.

I think Palpatine is only about 40 in TPM... think about it... he's supposed to have come from Naboo... the Naboo choose their political leaders when they're still young (Amidala was only 14). They believe that children are pure enough to not be corrupted by politics and that they will better represent their people than their adult counterparts. In order to become politically powerful on Naboo, one would have to begin their career at a young age, which would seem to prohibit Palpatine being any older than he appears to be.

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg

ckcsaber
08-28-2002, 04:11 PM
So Palpitine is way younger than he looks in ROJ

Jedi_Monk
08-28-2002, 04:19 PM
If Palpatine was 40 in TPM, he'd be 76 by the time we see him in RotJ (that's pretty old)... Obi-Wan was 23 in TPM, meaning he's 55 in ANH. Anakin was 9 in TPM, so he's 41 in ANH. There is absolutely no cannonical evidence that the Force increases a human's life span.

ckcsaber
08-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Palpitine in ROTJ looks like hes 150! My gramps is 80 and he doesn't look that old. It has to be the power of the darkside corrupting palpys body

Legacy_Of_Sith
08-28-2002, 06:26 PM
Are you sure he's only 40 during TPM? He looks at least 5-10 years older!

ET Warrior
08-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Actually Jedi Monk, there is canon to suggest that the force increases life-span. ROTJ. Luke is on Degobah talking to Yoda...i'm not certain of the exact quote but Yoda tells luke that he is going to die and luke says "Master Yoda, you can't die."
And yoda says "Strong am I in the force, not that strong."

That suggests that the force is, indeed related to increased life-span.

Taos
08-29-2002, 12:20 AM
Seems to me like jedi monk always has great info:) . Thanks!

I do agree with ET Warrior about the force increasing someones life-span.

Jedi_Monk
09-04-2002, 12:04 AM
"Strong am I with the Force... but not that strong..."

It looks like I read that quote in the exact opposite way... I think that Yoda's saying that the Force can't extend his life. Even the strongest Jedi can die, by violence or pass away in a nice warm bed late at night. The Force can increase vitality, can lend strength to someone who is otherwise frail... but it can't stop them from dying when their time comes.

ET Warrior
09-04-2002, 12:09 AM
It's quite possible that we'll never know. I feel that since luke made the comment about Yoda not being able to die it must mean the Force can extend your life period, and when yoda says that he's not THAT strong as to never die....that he was strong enough to stay alive for 900 years. But your reasoning also makes sense........hmmmmmm

Jedi_Monk
09-04-2002, 12:18 AM
It's possible that when Luke said, "Master Yoda, you can't die..." what he meant was, "You can't die, you haven't finished my training and if you die now, I'll never be able to resurrect the Jedi..." Then Yoda turned his words around to give him one last lesson... that no matter how strong you are in the Force (and Luke is without a doubt very strong), he can still die. He's not immortal, he can't be reckless, especially not when facing the Emperor. He's the Jedi's last hope, but he can still die and then all's lost. I think that this interpretation is valid, in the light of what Luke tells Artoo later on in this scene, "I can't do it, Artoo... I can't go on alone..."

ET Warrior
09-04-2002, 12:24 AM
Your point is valid, but the way that luke says the line makes me wonder if he's saying he cannot die because he must complete his training. It's not in a pleading tone, it's more of a statement. Something he seems certain of, like he was given reason to believe that power in the force does increase length of life.

Jedi_Monk
09-04-2002, 12:45 AM
His tone could be out of respect, too... doesn't want to sass off to his Master by saying "You CAN'T die..." And that would also bring us back to the whiny look circa. ANH, which I think is something Lucas was trying to avoid to emphasise the maturity Luke's gained through his trials. Or maybe the tone is out of trust that Yoda won't abandon him in the middle of his training (I don't think that Luke expected Yoda to just up and die right there in front of him, either... ) Or it could have been Luke thinking Yoda was joking with him, making light of his age ("When 900 years old you reach, look as good, you will not!") saying that he was going to die soon, and Luke not believing him. There are many ways to read the line and tone of voice that don't indicate that the Force extends someone's life like that.

Jedi keep in shape, they eat well, they're spiritually aware... they keep healthy and do things that lengthen your lifespan naturally... My great grandpa lived to be 90 by doing these kinds of things... the Jedi lifestyle promotes longevity. So Jedi probably do live longer than your average... what have you... but I doubt that a human could live 900 years, even with the Force and the Jedi training ;)

.:Silver:.
09-18-2002, 05:11 AM
Darth Bane may have been the guy who said out loud that the Sith would have the rule of two, but he got the idea from Exar Kun. Kun is the first guy you see actually using the rule of two when he fights Ullic Qel Droma (not sure about spelling there) and beats him. Then the spirit of Naga Sadow shows up and gives them both marks on their heads and tells Kun that he will be the leader and Ullic will follow Kun's lead. All EU by the way.

Not all Sith were big tough warriors either. Some were politicians and mystics in the early days, so it's possible that Palpatine was trained by a Sith of this type. I don't by that Palp just found a Sith holocron and taught himself the ways of the Sith because he follows Sith rules to closely. He acts and talks like he was trained.

.:Silver:.
09-18-2002, 05:25 AM
Ah I screwed up. Here is a excerpt from a Sith web site.

As they fight, their amulets begin to glow. In moments, the room in which they fought has been replaced by an image of a long forgotten time, during the last days of the Sith Empire. They are stopped by the figure of a Dark Lord, presumably Marka Ragnos, who tells them that they are the chosen, who will "bring about the great destiny foretold." He completes their "initiation" to the Dark Side, and proclaims Exar Kun to be the new Dark Lord:
"Exar Kun, because of you, the Sith will never die... You have rightly earned the title of Dark Lord of the Sith" Ulic is named as Kun's first and foremost apprentice, and leaves, confident that the Sith will have their revenge!

Both have been marked by the spectre, and now agree that together, they will conquer the galaxy.

Sorry for the mix up. Won't happen again.
:D