PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Gandalf

Madjai
09-02-2002, 12:05 AM
ive almost completed his mesh, the head is just about how i want it, but of course i need input to perfect it.
ive only got 1 screenshot to show right now, and its just a face shot with a lighting effect on him, i was just fooling around with rendering. and its dark and hard to see well. but dont worry ill post more tomorrow when im not so tired.

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf1.txt

so ill need a skinner soon, any takers?

also, after this id like to do a Sauron (sp?) afterwords, but im having a terrible time finding good quality pics of him, any help would be appreciated.

StarViperPilot
09-02-2002, 12:25 AM
"Gandalf! Gandalf! It's Gandalf! Fireworks Gandalf! Fireworks!":p

Looks great! I'm sure this will make a lot of poeple happy :D. And a few might get mad, silly Star Wars only pureists. Thank you for useing your time and skills to bring us Gandalf.

BradFu
09-02-2002, 12:38 AM
Cool! Gandalf rocks :) For Saruman, you might be able to acheive a model of him simply by making Gandalf's big hat removeable. They really are quite similar in shape. Old, long-bearded Jedi can be made in the same way :D

Eets
09-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Saruman's face is alot thinner, and his beard is more well-kempt.

I have a pal who is willing and ready to make Saruman taunts, and he can imitate Christopher Lee's voice PERFECTLY.

Nice job, btw! :D

BradFu
09-02-2002, 01:17 AM
Well, thin-ness of the face can probably be simulated through skinning, as can tidyness of the hair/beard :)

Frumpus
09-02-2002, 02:34 AM
Hey Madjai. (hm, I just noticed: A fellow Canuck! eh)

Great start on Gandalf! Question:. .Are you attempting to model him after Ian McKellan? Or just "Gandalf" as you see him (and as described by Tolkien)? Your choice.

Constructive Criticism:
Hmm, is his hat sitting too high on his head?

He needs BUSHY eyebrows! The Hobbit and LOTR describe his eyebrows as actually sticking out BEYONG the brim of his hat!! :)

I think he looks too young. He could just be a young biker with a beard. :) His face needs more. .ermm "crags" (? ). Extend cheeks? Lower the bags under his eyes?

Also, concerning the hair/beard, you can do AMAZING things just by using TURN EDGES function - to get more depth/texture. (Check out the pic of the she-elf I sent you.) Hair isn't like skin; not soft, flowing (especially if it has any curl to it). Hair has holes, crevices, and random tangles. ASsymetry will help alot I think (once you get to that stage). Also, the area immediately around the mustache doesn't have to mirror the lips exactly; i.e., near the corners of the lower lip, men usually grow slightly "sparser" hair than in the middle.

The nose is one part of our body that never stops growing. Even though Gandalf is actually a Maia (an angelic form/missionary to Middle Earth), he's in the form of an old man. His nose can be exaggerated. (Just take a look at any old man you know ;) )

. .. erm. . I'd have to see another (different) view of the model to add anything else.

Re: pics of Sauron. . . . give me a shout on MSN. . . I've got a few great pics of Sauron (but they're mostly of his helm - it's hard to get good pics of his armour). I just don't have any place to "post" them.

And BradFu?. . . Were you suggesting to have a "reskin" or "optional" version of Gandalf - who looks like Saruman?. . Good idea (CTF?) .. Or were you mistaking Saruman (the wizard) for Sauron (the Dark Lord)? Hmm, Madjai? If you wanted to get Gandalf and Saruman's likeness more similar (in the mesh), you could make "Gandalf the White", where in the movie The Two Towers at least, Gandalf's hair is white and straight, much like Saruman's.

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-02-2002, 02:44 AM
Great to see some Lord of the Rings models in the works. And great ones at that. Good job. :)

VampireHunterD
09-02-2002, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Frumpus
Re: pics of Sauron. . . . give me a shout on MSN. . . I've got a few great pics of Sauron (but they're mostly of his helm - it's hard to get good pics of his armour). I just don't have any place to "post" them.[/B]

I've got a pretty good screen-cap of Sauron's armor if you want it Frumpus. ;)

VampireHunterD
09-02-2002, 03:08 AM
Here, This was the best screen-cap I could come up with since
Sauron is always showed either at a distance or too close in
the movie:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Armorview.jpg

Darth Vigrid
09-02-2002, 03:33 AM
Try an image search on google. There are some pretty good pics of him there.

LordSauron
09-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Awww... Y'all wanna do a model after me... I'm touched :D

But anyway. That is a good Gandalf. And I agree that the eyebrows need to be like push brooms sticking out of the head :P Also the beard needs to be more bushier if you want to model to be more movie like. I don't recall how his beard was described in LOTR books. All I remember that it was long.

As far as the Sauron model. Try looking up paintings and drawings by Jim Howe and uhh...what's that guy's name Tim uhh. Nasbeth? and such artists. Lots of representations of Dark Lords (Melkor/Morgoth and Sauron) in a black armor. Although Sauron's helmet looked nice in LOTR movie.

Just some suggestions. Keep up the work! Doin' well!

LordSauron
09-02-2002, 03:49 PM
I forgot I had this!
http://public.csusm.edu/bcline2000/imgs/tolkien_gandalf2_800.jpg

I hope this helps!

SithMaster01
09-02-2002, 05:10 PM
Lord of the Rings is Gay!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just Kidding this ones gonna rock!

Madjai
09-02-2002, 07:15 PM
ok here are a couple more pics, i havent changed anything just yet, and right now his body is just mirrored on the other side so there isnt different detail yet. plus im expecting lots of detail to be in the skin.

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf2.txt
www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gandalf3.txt

im not too sure how im going to do his hair, it looks really flat and plain right now but i think i can add a shader that makes "gaps" where there is mesh but no hair drawn, if you understand what im trying to say.

the only thing i know about LotR is the movie, ive never read or heard much about it before the news of the trilogy being made, so the Gandalf im creating is roughly based on the movie LotR character/actor.

BradFu
09-02-2002, 07:26 PM
Oops! I thought he was saying he wants to make Saruman next, that'll learn me to actually read things a little more closely :D

Madjai, Gandalf is looking great :) I assume you'll be doing some alpha work on the beard?

obi
09-02-2002, 09:23 PM
As you can see in my avatar, Gandalf is the man, so I am looking forward to this!

YOU CANNOT PASS!

Madjai
09-02-2002, 10:16 PM
yea i just dont know how to do that "alpha" stuff, so any help on that subject would be nice!

Eklin
09-03-2002, 12:29 AM
I have to admit, when I first checked this thread out, I was a little suspicious as to how goo of quality the model would actually be, but now that I've checked out the screenshots, I've gotta say AWESOME JOB! :D

Originally posted by obi-wan13
YOU CANNOT PASS!
That'd make a great taunt for the model, don'tcha think?

bomberman_xc
09-03-2002, 12:35 AM
Please consider this next, please
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77222

VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 12:37 AM
Not too sure whether this one will help any of you, but I figured
some of you could use it anyway:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorView(second).jpg

StarViperPilot
09-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by VampireHunterD
Here, This was the best screen-cap I could come up with since
Sauron is always showed either at a distance or too close in
the movie:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Armorview.jpg

Was it just me or do you think the movie made him look fat? I know we didn't see him much but I thought the movie made him look fat. Maybe It was the angle.

VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by StarViperPilot

Was it just me or do you think the movie made him look fat? I know we didn't see him much but I thought the movie made him look fat. Maybe It was the angle.

You know, I thought that as well when I saw that first scene with
him in Mount Doom. It almost looked like as if he had a beer gut
going. lol.:D

Anyway it's not just the angle. If you'll notice part of his armor separates from his torso on the lower part so that's why it makes
him look fat right at that scene. :)

VampireHunterD
09-03-2002, 01:23 AM
Here's pretty much all I can come up with that will be of any
use (that is if these are of any use). Enjoy:

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/AndAnotherView.jpg

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/Anotherview.jpg

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorThirdView.jpg

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorForthView.jpg

http://mohaa.cact-sd.org/aasigs/ArmorFifthView.jpg

By the way this new screencap program I got is great. :D

Madjai
09-03-2002, 09:29 AM
they didnt show him in the movie very well, not enough angles to really know every square-inch of his armor. i guess ill have to look for concept art or something.

Kstar__2
09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
wow! that really looks amazingly detailed!

D.L.
09-03-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Eklin
YOU CANNOT PASS!

That'd make a great taunt for the model, don'tcha think?

It would if it were the correct quote. It's "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" not "YOU CANNOT PASS!"

Model is looking great. Keep up the good work.

Major Clod
09-03-2002, 10:48 AM
It would if it were the correct quote. It's "YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" not "YOU CANNOT PASS!"

Actually, it is "YOU CANNOT PASS!" The movie is wrong, the book is right.

Madjai
09-03-2002, 10:58 AM
well unless someone wants to voice act it, its going to be ripped from the movie

D.L.
09-03-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Major Clod

Actually, it is "YOU CANNOT PASS!" The movie is wrong, the book is right.

Well, get me a soundbite from the book then. :)

The quote that will be used will be "SHALL NOT PASS" as that's what is said in sound, rather than print.

I am fully aware than it's CANNOT PASS in the book. I love the books and I can quote that piece from the Chapter Bridge of Khazad-Dum

You cannot pass! I am servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow! You cannot pass!

:)

Major Clod
09-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Why not voice act it... Sit at the computer screaming that into the mic, I'm sure you won't get any strange looks at all ;)

bomberman_xc
09-04-2002, 01:04 AM
Dude Madjai will you please do a model of Lurtz (Uruk-hai captain) next?? Please!!! He kicks sooo much ass. I have a request for him in the model request thread. 4th page. there are some good reference pics there. and if you need more just ask me. Please.....He's the orc dude that killed Borimir and took on Aragorn in LOTR incase anyone who didn't know was wondering.
If you make him (wich i'm praying you will) will you make his orcish sword also??

BTW, Gandalf looks good so far

bomberman_xc
09-04-2002, 01:09 AM
the second reference pic is a full body of the action figure. If you make him (please god)....i mean Madjai, will you make him w/out the shield on his left arm???

jaybiggspr
09-04-2002, 06:21 AM
;) ;) :D :D :) :rolleyes:

Nice Try!

Eets
09-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by BradFu
Oops! I thought he was saying he wants to make Saruman next, that'll learn me to actually read things a little more closely :D

Spast! So did I.. :(

Exar Kun II
09-04-2002, 03:32 PM
To the modeler doing Sauron in his armor, you probably have enough photos, but here is a picture I found, maybe it will help.

http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_22761c8101de4ab3126b4e8eb8446c25/i-1.JPG

:D

Hard to find any depictions of him in physical form.

djnugget84
09-04-2002, 04:25 PM
this is one of the best images of saurons helmet i could find. http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots/saurons_helmet.jpg

djnugget84
09-04-2002, 04:30 PM
i also found thius website were if you scrole down some you will find any image of saurons armor that there is. http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Nasty/Sauron.htm

Zedar
09-05-2002, 10:29 AM
Looking good!!!:saberr: :lightning:
Please make more lotr models
Sauron model will be just incredible
:duel:

hawk_of_war
09-05-2002, 02:42 PM
Are there going to be both Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the white skins?

P.S. Gandalf the White doesn't have the hat, if you've seen The Two Towers trailer.

Madjai
09-05-2002, 02:57 PM
hmm i suppose i could make the hat removeable, make it one of those "surface on/off" thingys.

but who wants to skin him?

RGF_okiN
09-05-2002, 03:00 PM
Looking good, but the hat! T'is too small!

Broader brim and taller tip, please!

Madjai
09-05-2002, 03:23 PM
ok i made it a little bigger.

im wondering, is the whole "alpha" thing with the hair done by the skinner or is there something special i have to do to the model first?

SAIK HUAT
09-05-2002, 07:00 PM
no, just use a .tga file instead of a .jpg file to get that effect. I dont know how to do it but i know thats how you would go about doing it

Zedar
09-08-2002, 09:30 AM
So is someone making Sauron model??Cos I've been waiting for one a looooong time
Sauron and Sephiroth...that's what i want:) (not a request:D)

Madjai
09-08-2002, 10:25 AM
if i have enough pics of him ill try.

right now im uvwmapping Gandalf

Grafox
09-08-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Madjai
if i have enough pics of him ill try.

right now im uvwmapping Gandalf

I'd love to have a go at skinning him.

BradFu
09-08-2002, 11:20 AM
I wouldn't mind taking a crack at skinning him, if his hat is a removeable surface :) I won't be shooting for a Gandalf look, but instead, maybe an old Jedi, or perhaps Radagast the Brown.

Madjai
09-08-2002, 11:55 AM
yea it doesnt specifically have to be Gandalf, just a general wizard would look good.

Eets
09-12-2002, 10:52 AM
I rented the FOTR DVD, and I got some GREAT screenshots of Sauron. Do you want em, Madjai?

Madjai
09-12-2002, 02:22 PM
i dont need any more movie pics, they dont really show enough of him, i need good real life pics that show every inch of his armor.

Eets
09-12-2002, 03:09 PM
You sure? I have great pics of his helmet, fingers, and boots. :D

short_ent
09-12-2002, 04:18 PM
He looks great for the most part!
I do have a coulple critiscisms to make
1. His waist should have more volume. His robes are massive and his belt cuts through them. So there should be a little more over hanging robe on the top of the belt and a little more puff to the robe just below the belt.

2. I don't think you should even attempt making Gandalf the White out of this same model. Gandalf the Gray has a thick heavy wool robe that is simple and messy. When he returns after the battle with the Balrog in the pits of Middle Earth he is transformed. He is wearing thin, light , robes on. They are still simple but are completely different in style. So, it's a lot of work but, you can do it. Quite frankly I think your one of the best modelers we have.

3. As for Suaron... The best armour shot in all of the Felowship of the Ring footage is on the special features disk. Got to the "Special Edition Preview" and towards the end of the film, there is about a 3 second blip of footage that shows Sauron, full armor as in the battle sequence, from mid thighs up. You will be able to pause and get a side view and a frontal view.
I hope I have helped a little.
Talk to yah later.

Madjai
09-12-2002, 07:16 PM
well Eets, if you can get a look at what short_ent was talking about, that whole special feature stuff, id like a look see.

uvwmapping is almost done, it might be a little ugly at some parts but shouldnt cause too much trouble for a skilled skinner ;)

Eets
09-12-2002, 09:03 PM
Got em. :)

The .zip is 3MB, I didn't feel like JPEG'ing some of them.. heh ^_^

Do you have ICQ, AIM, MSN, or YIM, so I can send it to you?

Madjai
09-12-2002, 09:10 PM
going_postal99@hotmail.com

im on messenger now

Madjai
09-12-2002, 09:49 PM
ok Gandalf is ready for skinning, if you want to skin him just leave me your email and ill send him to ya.

Eets
09-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Spast! Looks as if I missed you :(

I'm Eets@GalacticBattles.com

Grafox
09-13-2002, 01:48 AM
great! grafox@quicknet.nl

short_ent
09-13-2002, 06:03 AM
I'm a skinner (getting better and better but still learning) and madjai is obviously an amazing modeler and eats is also a good skinner... so I' m thinking a Lord of the rings clan... I love the LoRT story and its like my life... you guys should really consider this... madjai...eats... and Short_ent... the lord of the rings clan...
I think it sounds nice... well think about it and give me an email ---- short_ent@iolwest.com----
or post a forum...
see yah round

"they are the Nazgul... niether living nor dead"

Eets
09-13-2002, 08:59 AM
Well, I like LotR, but not enough to be in a clan based on it. :D

I'll help out with models as much as I can though.

short_ent
09-13-2002, 01:55 PM
well then i only recuest that webe eachothers first contacts when project is born

Grafox
09-13-2002, 02:19 PM
Got the model, already started skinning!

Madjai
09-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by short_ent
well then i only recuest that webe eachothers first contacts when project is born

umm... hmmm.... nope i cant figure it out. could you rephrase that?

bomberman_xc
09-13-2002, 05:12 PM
I'm impressed Madjai. Looks great. I need a model uv mapped. Think you could help me out?? I added you to my buddy list. my e-mail is bomberman_xc@hotmail.com

Midgit Yoda
09-13-2002, 05:47 PM
I need screens asap guys lol, Can't wait.

Grafox
09-14-2002, 07:35 AM
Here's what I have so far:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gshot1.jpg

Zedar
09-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Well...
I think it looks quite good:)

Grafox
09-14-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks!
Here's what I've done in the past hours

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey.jpg

hawk_of_war
09-14-2002, 01:27 PM
The hat wasn't blue (I believe), it was a very dark grey. His cloak ws also darker too. Otherwise it's coming along very nicely.

Grafox
09-14-2002, 01:34 PM
I agree on the cloak, but the hat is blue: http://www.iespana.es/esencia/esencia21/Especial-LOTR/Peliculas/Gandalf.jpg

hawk_of_war
09-14-2002, 01:42 PM
eh, ok, must have been those lighting effects in the mine messing with my head.

SiThLoRd><1000
09-14-2002, 03:42 PM
That looks kicking Grafox! Are you going to make the line where alot of his hair meets his face not so straight so it looks kind of "unkept"?

[SWS]Strider
09-14-2002, 05:42 PM
That's looking real cool. The more LOTR the better.

*****Spoiler******

You think you could make a Gandalf the white also?

-Chrono_MOT-
09-15-2002, 12:53 AM
I thought Christopher Lee played 'Saruman', not Sauron. I thought Sauron was the evil guy who wants the ring so he can reclaim Middle Earth....right?

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
09-15-2002, 12:58 AM
I think the model looks great. One suggestion though. I think that the mustache looks a bit strange. I think that maybe the mustache should overlap the lips a bit. But that's just my view. Other then that the model looks great. :)

VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by -Chrono_MOT-
I thought Christopher Lee played 'Saruman', not Sauron. I thought Sauron was the evil guy who wants the ring so he can reclaim Middle Earth....right?

Christopher Lee does play Saruman. And Sauron is the 'evil guy' who wants the ring back so he can overwhelm Middle Earth. You are correct.

If you really want to get into detail about the wizards, Sauron, the Balrogs, and those other magical characters, they're pretty much all the same race really.:) They just come in different forms like as they appear in the books. They are all just Miar of Illuvatar.;)

Of course you then have the ones known as the Valar (Morgoth and Manwe and all that bunch in the Silmarillion). Even though Sauron is the most powerful of the Miar the Valar could wipe the floor with Sauron and his "precious ring". It would have been funny if they hadn't have left because they could easily undo the ring's power. lol.

Just think about when Tom Bombadil was playing with the ring on his finger. lol. I figure he either was just a really powerful Miar under Sauron or maybe he was a Valar that stayed behind. There was some rumor claiming that maybe he even was Illuvatar.. lol.

Grafox
09-15-2002, 03:43 AM
update time!

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey2.jpg

Zedar
09-15-2002, 06:58 AM
Looks good:)
I didn't know his hat was blue either:D

And were balrogs part of the maiar too???
Sauron was Aulė's maia:)

VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Zedar

Sauron was created by Illuvatar just like the rest. He was just a Miar that served the Valar known as Aule before Morgoth corrupted him along the Balrogs. Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

And Aule did create the Dwarfs, but it was Illuvatar that gave them conscious thought.;)

VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Zedar

Sauron was created by Illuvatar just like the rest. He was just a Miar that served the Valar known as Aule before Morgoth corrupted him along the Balrogs. Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

And Aule did create the Dwarfs, but it was Illuvatar that gave them conscious thought.;)

And Balrogs are Miar. Anything that has powers in these stories are pretty much either Miar or Valar. The Valar are the strongest race of the two.:)

MaaZeus
09-15-2002, 02:00 PM
Where did you get information about miars and valars and origin of Balrogs? LOTR book did not mention anything about those. From another book? What?

VampireHunterD
09-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by MaaZeus
Where did you get information about miars and valars and origin of Balrogs? LOTR book did not mention anything about those. From another book? What?

I got all this information from The Silmarillion. It's the book that tells the story of how Middle Earth and all that stuff was created. And it also has it's own glossary of all the names of the ancient characters and stuff. That will help with understanding how everything is what it is..;)

Eets
09-15-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Grafox
update time!

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey2.jpg

Looking a hella lot better! Just add a slightly greener hue to his robes...

Grafox
09-16-2002, 09:45 AM
Ok, totally redid the hair, I think it looks better now. I added some color to the clothing, still working on it.

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey3.jpg

Deetox187
09-16-2002, 10:19 AM
Lookin good Grafox, the hair is better.

hawk_of_war
09-16-2002, 10:43 AM
For some reason the clothes still seem a tad bit too bright...

Sniper Wolf
09-16-2002, 10:51 AM
I think the hair looks wet now. Perhaps blur it a little in places and blur the lines on the face a little. Make the dark hues a little softer so it won't contrast the blue hat as much. Otherwise, pretty good job.

Sniper Wolf
09-16-2002, 10:53 AM
I figured out what was bothering me about the skin:
The folds in the fabric are too stiff. They need to be sweeping downwards. Look at pictures of Gandalf in the movie. His garments are sweeping, not sticking to him.

Madjai
09-17-2002, 01:04 PM
alright i think im done weighting, there are _some_ clipping issues, but nothing terrible.

now i just need to find some good sounds for pain, jumping, etc...
any help?

Eldritch
09-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Yeah, Gandalf's clothes were much baggier in the movie than they are in this model. They also weren't as smooth, they had more ridges and were rougher looking.

Double_S84
09-20-2002, 01:40 AM
Are you making this based on the books or the movie. Well either way it doesnt matter his nose was much larger than that in both the books and movie. Its way to small Madjai.

Andy867
09-20-2002, 07:50 AM
From just looking at the pics, it looks like Madjai and Co. are leaning more towards the books, like that one shot of Gandalf walking, and his robe is flowing with the gusting wind. By the way, the model looks Great Madjai, and great looking skin grafox.

Madjai
09-20-2002, 04:43 PM
hes mostly based off of this pic, along with other movie images

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gmovie.txt

and yea, your right, the nose is too small. ill fix that up, hopefully wont affect the skin.

Double_S84
09-20-2002, 05:19 PM
I read how i wrote my last post and it seemed really rude. I did not intend it to be so. Im just really a big LOTR fan and i want to make sure it does him justice. If ne one can make it so it is probably you. May the force be with you.

Madjai
09-20-2002, 05:22 PM
didnt seem rude to me, just good constructive criticism.

Eldritch
09-20-2002, 06:24 PM
Madjai,

My recommendation would've been to work off a different picture for the model... that's not really the most accurate representation of Gandalf (at least in terms of the movie). Ah well, too late now.

-Anakin

Grafox
09-21-2002, 04:24 AM
hes mostly based off of this pic, along with other movie images

www.geocities.com/madpostal2002/gmovie.txt

and yea, your right, the nose is too small. ill fix that up, hopefully wont affect the skin.

If you don't add any polys and don't change uvw's, it shouldn't affect the skin.

Darth Loki
09-21-2002, 08:51 AM

I got all this information from The Silmarillion. It's the book that tells the story of how Middle Earth and all that stuff was created. And it also has it's own glossary of all the names of the ancient characters and stuff. That will help with understanding how everything is what it is..;)

the tolkein encyclopedia is also a fount of knowledge when it comes to LOTR information.

Frumpus
09-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Dragons are also Miar that were corrupted by Morgoth as well.

Hmm, what chapter/page in The Silmarillion did you get that dragon info from, VH? I've read it once, and going over it - and Unfinished Tales - again; it appeared to me that we never really found out the beginnings of the dragons (Glaurung being the father of them all),

... Anything that has powers in these stories are pretty much either Miar or Valar. The Valar are the strongest race of the two.:)

I think it's more precise to say that the Maiar are of the same species as the Ainur, but less powerful. "Valar" is the title given to the 14 Ainur (Manwe, Varda, Ulmo, Aule, Yavanna, Orome, Vana, Nienna, Este, Nessa, Tulkas, Mandos, Lorien, and Vaire), who came to fashion and govern Arda (Middle Earth). These "Valar" were some of the most powerful Ainur.

BTW, Gandalf and Saruman are both Maiar (sub-class: Istari, or "wizards"), sent sort of as missionaries to Middle Earth. They're the same race as the Balrogs, Sauron, and Melian (she married an elvish king, Olwe, who became Thingol, Lord of the Sindarin Elves. She is both Elrond and Aragorn's ancient ancestor).

**EDIT: Wow. . . was browsing through www.lordoftherings.com and found a link to this site made for the upcoming Hobbit game:

http://www.planetnintendo.com/thehobbit/info/story/

It gives some quotes and quite a good summary of some "main" issues concerning Tolkien's Middle Earth. :)

Double_S84
09-22-2002, 04:43 AM
God bless you for postin that site. I had a few ?s that have now been answered. Mostly bout the beggining.

Is it just me or is Gil Galad the coolest lookin person in the movie?

Zedar
09-22-2002, 06:19 AM
I just can't find any info of balrogs being maiar
I've been browsing through the Silmarillion but still I found nothing
Well...if u say so...I guess they are maiar then:)

Grafox
09-23-2002, 11:57 AM
update time:

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey4.jpg

Madjai
09-23-2002, 11:59 AM
wicked, but his cloak still needs that hint of green. and his belt is a light brown. the pics i sent you should show that.

Eets
09-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Looking great! I can't wait to see shaders on that puppy.

IPHDTD
09-23-2002, 03:24 PM
i dont know if the face and beard are finished but they need some work, specifically in the dark black lines around the eyes, the face looks nothing like Ian McKellan and the beard is too dark, it needs to have less shadow and more hair in it. might just be the shape of it tho, i dont know, something just is off on it.

short_ent
09-23-2002, 08:04 PM
You really really need to change the color of his hat... It is blue, yes, but not that blue. You need more gray in the hat... tone it down. His garments match the hat very well. I suggest cloning his hat and garment colors and textures from some well lit picture.

The beard is very angled at the bottom. I sugest fading it very carefully to the color and texture of his robe. Try to keep as much of the beard as possible though.

His robes look to dark now and they look very smooth make them look like wool. Once again I would use cloning as my main tool.

You might also try cloning his face/ beard but I dont know...

I really do appriciate your hard work because it is a hard task and I have been waiting for gandalf and other lotr charaters for a long time...

Frumpus
09-24-2002, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by short_ent
The beard is very angled at the bottom. I sugest fading it very carefully to the color and texture of his robe. Try to keep as much of the beard as possible though.

Hey bud. . .I was going to say much the same thing. . .. :)

Also, he could use just about 1/4 inch more skin under his lower lip - before the hair starts to grow. . .usually the hair in that area is a bit more sparse in men (AND women too, I'd hope :) )

Also, I think the crease between his eyes doesn't need to be quite so pronounced (too dark), (or perhaps add a couple more?). Under his eyes look to much like he went a little heavy on the movie makeup - needs more natural skin colour. Right now, they kind of look like they're puffy - like just one "bag" under his eye. Instead, you might try to add more creases within that one bag (Sorry, I'm not a skinner, I don't know HOW this will look - just a thought)

Oh yeah. . . Like I posted earlier, the upper corners of his moustache can pretty much cover the sides of his mouth - sort of angled down from nose to jaw

Also, I think his hairline can be more "receding" .. .right now he's only got about an inch of "forehead" :)

Grafox
09-24-2002, 10:03 AM
Ok, I agree with all of the points mentioned. The beard will be alpha'd out with a shader in-game.

I totally redid the face, as I was not happy with it. Haven't done anything else except recolor the hat a bit.
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey5.jpg

Madjai
09-24-2002, 10:36 AM
wow big difference, i love it!

Eldritch
09-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Definitely much better. You might consider lightening up the grey in the beard... I don't think it was that dark grey. Same deal with the eyebrows.

-Anakin

Grafox
09-25-2002, 02:29 AM
Thanks guys,

Madjai, are you gonna enlarge the nose? Should not make a difference as long as you don't add any polies. The uvw maps should stay the same.

Madjai
09-25-2002, 06:08 PM
yea ill enlarge the nose. ill send it to ya as soon as i do.

Marth
09-25-2002, 07:07 PM
What nose where am i?I can kick your ass in MOHAA countless times

SpYzEr
09-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Marth, plz stop making useless posts to raise your post count (which we all know your doing) :rolleyes:

Madjai
09-25-2002, 08:37 PM
yea seriously :D

oo im a stormtrooper, Hey you there!

Andy867
09-26-2002, 12:03 AM
Haha Madjai. The only advise I can offer is to lessen the darkness on the beard, so that it blends more, instead of contrasting. but not too much, or it will look more cartoonish than what you guys would want. But overall, its really coming together.

Grafox
09-26-2002, 03:00 AM
update:
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalfthegrey6.jpg

Darth Loki
09-26-2002, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Frumpus
Hmm, what chapter/page in The Silmarillion did you get that dragon info from, VH? I've read it once, and going over it - and Unfinished Tales - again; it appeared to me that we never really found out the beginnings of the dragons (Glaurung being the father of them all),

That info too can be found in the tolkein encyclopedia.

Eldritch
09-26-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Marth
What nose where am i?

Marth,
You can't make anyone believe that you honestly clicked on a topic without looking at it, then posted a response without knowing which thread you were in. If you want to raise your post count, do it the right way, not by acting stupid.

Grafox,
It's getting better and better with each new revision. The bags under his eyes still look a little too pronounced though... perhaps consider not making them ring entirely underneath his eyes? The eyebrows also look a little dark still. The beard is much better though.

-Anakin

Leonheart
09-26-2002, 11:48 AM
The beard needs some work, it doesnt really look like hair, i would look at some of the hair techniques used at polycount and encorporate them into the model, and the clothes looks a tad too tight on the model.

the skin is looking decent, the face needs a little bit of aging and the clothes are a tad too blue/grey, gandalf wore grey/brown clothes in the movie if i remember correctly.

Padawan_7
09-28-2002, 01:29 AM
Everything is really looking good, but I do have one question.

Why does some areas of the clothing, especially the hat, look abnormally "glowy"? It looks like it is reflecting too much light.
Just wondering.

But, keep up the good work. It's looking great! :)

Grafox
09-28-2002, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the comments they will all be taken into consideration.

Madjai, do you have a new glm version for me? Cuz then I could take an ingame screenshot with beard shader, now he's all clipped.

Also, do you think you could make your Gandalf Staff Jedimod compatible? Cuz then I could make some nice screens of him with his staff.

Madjai
09-28-2002, 06:09 PM
yay forums are up

ill send them to you asap

Grafox
09-28-2002, 07:03 PM
great! *Checks email inbox every second*

Darth Vader III
09-29-2002, 02:55 AM
Looks really nice, but I think that the hat is wrong colored it should be gray.

Eldritch
09-29-2002, 10:50 PM
In the books he has a blue hat, Darth. In the movies they made it a greyish blue, but the hat colour Grafox has is accurate (to the movies, anyway).

-Anakin

The Truthful Liar
09-30-2002, 07:17 AM
That last pic, Grafox - those robes are just perfect, they have the right amount of greeness to them and now perhaps just add some 'wear' to them, perhaps a tad greyer.

Cheers :cool:

Grafox
09-30-2002, 11:25 AM
Here's an ingame screenshot. Just a quickie. Madjai, I couldn't get the staff to work properly :(

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/j.hagmeijer/gandalf_ingame.jpg

Also, I need some good refference of his boots.

Eldritch
09-30-2002, 02:31 PM
His eyes look weird in game. Instead of looking straight ahead, the right eye seems to be looking slightly right, and the left eye slightly left.
Also the nose seems too thin... this may just be a trick of the light, though.

-Anakin

Grafox
09-30-2002, 02:35 PM
I can't fix the nose size, it's a modeling thing :)

The Truthful Liar
10-01-2002, 04:17 AM
There's something about him that just doesn't make me say "Gandalf!"... can't pin point it really...

B
U
M
P
A
G
E

Grafox
10-04-2002, 03:38 AM
No updates as of yet, been very bussy.

Does anyone have any ref pics of his boots?

MaaZeus
10-07-2002, 11:30 AM
I think he just wears simple leather boots. Think, what medieval hardleather boots looked like.

Padawan_7
10-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Any news?

Grafox
10-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates on this one. Expect one soon

c0licab
10-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates on this one. Expect one soon Ø

hurray! :rhett:

Madjai
10-20-2002, 12:08 PM
alrighty Grafox has sent me the final textures, still a couple of things to work out though.

but what im in need of now is sounds for the guy, so if anyone has any good Gandalf sounds for anything (getting hurt, jumping, choking, dying, etc etc) please send them to me or post em here, thanks.

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 12:51 PM
alrighty Grafox has sent me the final textures, still a couple of things to work out though.

but what im in need of now is sounds for the guy, so if anyone has any good Gandalf sounds for anything (getting hurt, jumping, choking, dying, etc etc) please send them to me or post em here, thanks.

How about making his "falling death" sound the part in the movie where he's hanging off the broken bridge and he says, "Fly, you fools!"

Just a suggestion. I'll see if I can get it from the DVD if you want it.

-Anakin

MaaZeus
10-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Any updates “n“ stuff?

Madjai
10-28-2002, 05:37 PM
hey hes all ready to go, i just need sounds, to which i can find none.

Eldritch
10-28-2002, 06:12 PM
hey hes all ready to go, i just need sounds, to which i can find none.

Madjai, I just started working on a sound pack for you. Would like to know a few things though :
1) Do you want the pain sounds to be grunts, or him saying something (I prefer grunts)?

2) How many taunts do you want?

3) Is there anything specific you wanted?

Madjai
10-28-2002, 07:26 PM
yea i prefer grunts
i usually only use 1 taunt, but send them all so i have some choices
and there isnt anything specific i want, just the general sounds for a player character for Gandalf.

Yarah Dahile
10-28-2002, 08:06 PM
Looks good... would you mind if I stae my thoughts?

Eldritch
10-28-2002, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Yarah Dahile
Looks good... would you mind if I stae my thoughts?

I don't know if you're talking to me or Madjai, but you don't need anyone's permission to state your thoughts, opinions, crits, etc on the forum - just do it! :)

But do try to be polite. :D

Madjai
10-28-2002, 10:02 PM
well theres not much point now because the model and skin are done.

Eldritch
10-28-2002, 10:15 PM
Maybe they wanted to throw their 2 cents in on the sounds?

Falco-Fett
10-28-2002, 11:38 PM
i hope this model is good cuz i luv gandalf

MaaZeus
11-06-2002, 01:23 PM
*KICK* :mad: Updates etc...!?

Mex
11-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Be patient, I think Grafox is doing great with time :)

Grafox
11-07-2002, 03:48 AM
Thank you, but I aaaaaaaaaaaaal finished, and I have been finished with the skin for some time now.

It's all up to madjai from now.

[JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2002, 10:10 AM
nice model i can't wait and its a lotr model cool :smirk2: :smirk2:

[JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2002, 10:13 AM
opss

Eldritch
11-07-2002, 12:08 PM
Hey Yun, there's a button not many :newbie:'s seem to know about called the 'Edit' button. It's there so if you make a mistake with your post, you can fix it - you don't have to post another one to apologize or explain.

_NinjaGaiden_
11-07-2002, 02:09 PM
Lookin good From what i have seen it looks good keep it up

[JKZ]_Yun
11-07-2002, 02:17 PM
ok yes i am a :newbie:

Matt-Liell
11-08-2002, 09:45 PM
i dont suppose ud be interested in making a legolas model for me would ya seeing hows u like LOTR?!

Matt-Liell
12-02-2002, 07:11 PM
Is this model dead or released? its been months since an update!

Grafox
12-03-2002, 03:49 AM
Last I heard, Madjai is looking for sounds.

Jo
12-20-2002, 08:27 PM
is there any updates or has gandalf the grey died. it would be wicked if you ever got this released, seeing as a skin for the TT would go good with it.

Grafox
12-21-2002, 03:56 AM
Last I heard, Madjai is looking for sounds.

Still last I heard.

Jo
12-21-2002, 09:44 AM
seeing as i saw the two towers yesterday, this would rule right now. along with a gandalf the white skin.