09-04-2002, 03:36 PM
lost in space ... watching it now

ever notice the connections between it and star wars

those fighters at the beginning ... ARE SOOOOO B-wings

and they have a hyperdrive

... discuss

ShockV1.89
09-04-2002, 03:44 PM
I liked that movie a lot, but I dont really see a connection between it and Star Wars. Their hyperdrive operates on a different principle than the Star Wars drives. The Star Wars drives temporarily transports the ships into another dimension (sort of) where they can move about and emerge in a different place in realspace. Almost like a smaller version of realspace, but the ships move at the same speed. Thats hyperspace.

LIS used a gate system, sorta like Babylon 5. It's instantaneous travel, but it requires the gates at either end. Thus the Robinson Family traveling as far as they did in cryosleep.

The B-Wing comparison is probably just a coincidence. It's a logical design, though, I guess. If the ship takes a hit on one wing, instead of flying off and losing all its momentum, it just spins on its axis.

;)

ShockV1.89

Pad
09-04-2002, 03:45 PM
i havent seen it yet, so ... (cant argue there)

C'jais
09-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Lost In Space is the second worst film I've ever seen, right up next to Solaris...

But Solaris remains unchallenged.

Clem
09-04-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ShockV1.89

I liked that movie a lot, but I dont really see a connection between it and Star Wars. Their hyperdrive operates on a different principle than the Star Wars drives. The Star Wars drives temporarily transports the ships into another dimension (sort of) where they can move about and emerge in a different place in realspace. Almost like a smaller version of realspace, but the ships move at the same speed. Thats hyperspace.

LIS used a gate system, sorta like Babylon 5. It's instantaneous travel, but it requires the gates at either end. Thus the Robinson Family traveling as far as they did in cryosleep.

The B-Wing comparison is probably just a coincidence. It's a logical design, though, I guess. If the ship takes a hit on one wing, instead of flying off and losing all its momentum, it just spins on its axis.

;)

ShockV1.89

i agree with that i just wanted to start convo .... also the bwing design is not particularly brilliant in space ... u need no wings ... theres just more to hit

Absurd
09-04-2002, 03:54 PM
You do realize the TV show came out before Star Wars?

Clem
09-04-2002, 03:58 PM
i dunno what tv show ur talking about

im talking about the filum

Clem
09-04-2002, 04:54 PM
also at the end the ship riding an explosion out of the planet ... is SOOO the falcon out of death star mk2

ShockV1.89
09-04-2002, 06:17 PM
i agree with that i just wanted to start convo Touchy touchy...

I used to watch the TV show all the time. Dr. Smith had a more humorous feel to him, and the robot was used in about a dozen other movies. (the movie robot was better). As far as the family interactions, it reminded me of Leave it to Beaver...except in space...with aliens...and monsters....

ShockV1.89

Darklighter
09-04-2002, 06:20 PM
You watched it on BBC1 right Clem?:)Ya, me too...

I actually really liked it, it was a good Sci-fi movie...though I think that any space-orientated sci-fi story will attain some influence from classic films like Star Wars and Star Trek, so it really isn't surprising they looked like B-wings:Dlol

Darth Groovy
09-04-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by cjais
Lost In Space is the second worst film I've ever seen, right up next to Solaris...

But Solaris remains unchallenged. :wstupid:

Another film that had potential yet crashed like a lead balloon. Another $6 down the crapper. Come to think of it the TV series was stupid too. I would have killed Dr. Smith a long, long time ago!

Kyth'emos
09-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Darth Clem
i dunno what tv show ur talking about

im talking about the filum

Hes is talking about the TV show the movie was based on:rolleyes:

XERXES
09-04-2002, 10:09 PM
for some reason i thought the movie was gay, however the chick was cute.

ShockV1.89
09-04-2002, 10:55 PM
Which chick? There were three of them...

ShockV1.89

Jedi_Monk
09-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Lost in Space was one of the worst movies I'd ever seen... it was too long, too preachy and... for everyone who complains that Star Wars is just a special effects movie, watch Lost in Space... it's just completely without substance. Three hours of craptacular special effects and a nonsensical story.

Any given SW movie is a billion times better than Lost in Space...

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg

acdcfanbill
09-05-2002, 12:19 AM
well i though it was an ok movie, maybe not one to see in the theatre (i see nearly every movie that comes out), or rent, but i would say that watching it on TV isnt too much of a waste of time...

raise you hand if you like Saturn 3... ;)