PDA

View Full Version : Grappling hook

-Tercero-
09-05-2002, 03:09 PM
I rarely make requests, but I couldn't hold this one in any longer. If anyone remembers WOD for Quake II, they'll know what I'm talking about. I'd really like to see a grappling hook with physics. I love the way the physics of the jetpack work, and they made me want it even more. I'd just love to be able to swing on a grappling hook, rather that just be pulled statically toward my target. Furthermore, the world of Star Wars is littered with grappling hooks - Luke rescues Leia and himself with one in A New Hope, and Jango Fett uses one to combat Obi-Wan in Attack of the Clones. I think that it would add something to the game being able to manuver vertically without a jetpack, and when used in tandem with the force or a jetpack, it would prove a powerful mode of transit. Again, anyone who has played WOD will know what I'm taking about. It was rare that you walked anywhere - the grappling hook almost became my main mode of transit. If anyone is interested, I'd me more than happy to make any custom models or such that would be needed.

Thanks for hearing me out - I just needed to get that out there.

Enjoi9187
09-05-2002, 04:25 PM
ull get one soon enough :), the guys that made the jetpack mod said that when they release their final version of the mod, it will include tons of mandalorian armor related stuff (including a realistic grappling hook) :)

Tinny
09-05-2002, 07:28 PM
whoa, maybe not for this mod, but could a spiderman type character be implemented?

-Tercero-
09-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Sweet - I can't wait to get back to my spider-man style antics again... heh heh heh...

keo718
09-06-2002, 12:05 AM
I like that idea(grappling hook). I thought of that before as well.

Deetox187
09-06-2002, 08:50 AM
Hell yeah those Quake2 grapples were the best, i too would absolutely love to see something similar created for JK2.

The Eternal
09-06-2002, 04:02 PM
howdy,

i shouldn't really say this.. but i already coded a grappling hook with proper physics...
better than any i've seen anywhere...
anyone remember worms or something? well something like that only 3d :)

(if you don't remember, it 'bends' around corners :))
and you can drag bots when you're jetpacking ;)

we MIGHT just release it before our final mod is out (probably in combination with the jetpack mod)...
but for this we will probably not release the source.

-Tercero-
09-06-2002, 10:15 PM
I hope that you do release it early - I'd love to have a hook that works properly - the dragging bots options would be simply fantastic too - just like Jango in AOTC...

If you need anyone to beta-test it, I'd be extremely grateful if you'd consider me - also if you want to use my Anakin model in your mod or need a model for the grappling hook or anything else, just drop me an e-mail or a PM. I'd love to contribute to your project.

Deetox187
09-07-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by The Eternal
howdy,

i shouldn't really say this.. but i already coded a grappling hook with proper physics...
better than any i've seen anywhere...
anyone remember worms or something? well something like that only 3d :)

(if you don't remember, it 'bends' around corners :))
and you can drag bots when you're jetpacking ;)

we MIGHT just release it before our final mod is out (probably in combination with the jetpack mod)...
but for this we will probably not release the source.

OMG that sounds unreal, i know exactly what kind of hook you're talking about, i've played worms. And dragging bots?? that is incredible, can you drag human controlled players too?

Also if i were you i'd take Tercero up on his modeling offer. ;)

The Eternal
09-07-2002, 04:06 AM
hehe yeah.. hasn't been tested really good in MP yet.. but if it can drag bots i'm 99.9% sure it can drag human players ;)

(it should even be able to drag MULTIPLE human players, but this is also untested with bots ;))

-Tercero-
09-07-2002, 05:08 AM
Did you need any hook models? I could whip up a number of different styles in a matter of hours - could have a whole package of them by Sunday night - they could be like sabers with hiltmods - pick your preference... heh heh... Seriously, though- if you need some graphics done for them I'd be glad to supply them.

Also, if you need someone to test it in MP, I'd be glad to - I run a LAN server in my house - it's firewalled and hidden from the internet, so the file couldn't get out on the net until you put it there.

Oh, and MULTIPLE PLAYERS!?! That must look so odd...

The Eternal
09-07-2002, 09:40 AM
Heh i just took some screenshots for darth syrup ;) and tested multiple player dragging, but you can't (i could probably enable it easily ;)) and dragging still needs some tweaking (dragging doesn't have really proper physics yet, it works and rather good also, but still not perfectly).

also i think we could use a cool hook model and maybe rope texture (look in the base pk3 files whiteline.jpg i think, that texture is used right now) i can't guarantee they will be used because it's up to the entire team assault team :) but if we use them we'll offcourse give you credit for them :)

Grtz,
The Eternal

-Tercero-
09-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Cool, I'll do some hooks up tomorrow night.

Deetox187
09-08-2002, 12:29 AM
hehe yeah.. hasn't been tested really good in MP yet.. but if it can drag bots i'm 99.9% sure it can drag human players ;)

(it should even be able to drag MULTIPLE human players, but this is also untested with bots ;))

lol that was a pretty stupid question wasn't it, sure sounds great though.

lionknight
09-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Is it possible to test the modified grapple before you release it? Great job on the jetpack.? Will the finished mod have jetpack options like DARTH_SYRUP'S excellent force mod? Thanks (Team A and Darth_syrup) for all the hard work and enableing us to enhance our gameplay experience.
Leoking13@prodigy.net

-Tercero-
09-09-2002, 04:17 PM
Here are a few shots of the hook I promised - tell me if you want it!

http://www.geocities.com/anakin_tercero/hook.txt

keo718
09-09-2002, 04:36 PM
That's sick.

-Tercero-
09-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Sick good or sick bad?

t3rr0r
09-09-2002, 05:15 PM
whoa that's sweet eternal. :D tercero, could you make qui-gon's grapple hook? there's a picture of it in the tpm visual dictionary. i'd scan it, if my scanner was configed... but maybe you have the book. :)

-Tercero-
09-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Don't have it, but if anyone can post a link to a shot, I'd be happy to make the hook!

keo718
09-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Sick good, of course.

t3rr0r
09-09-2002, 05:26 PM
now that i looked at it again, the hook part mainly just looks like a cone. /\ <-

lionknight
09-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Great job guys, when can we look foward to the finished mod?

Primesghost
09-09-2002, 10:33 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaple

Are you planning to release source for this?

Azymn
09-10-2002, 03:03 AM
-Tercero- :
That is one fine grapple model. Might i get a copy?

-Tercero-
09-10-2002, 04:31 AM
Darth Syrup, just give me an e-mail addy or something to send it to. Anyone is welcome to anything that I make for JKII - if think that if the modding community shares a bit more, everyone will benefit from it.

I do still need to UVW map it and skin it, so if you want to hold off on me sending it to you till it's done, I'll get to work on finishing it up, but if you want the current incarnation just to get it in-game, that's cool too - I'll send you the finished version when it's done.

All I ask in return is the ability to beta-test the mod. I just love seeing what you guys can come up with!

One more thing and then I'm done - I know that a lot of coders come through here (this is the coding forum after all...) so I thought I'd post a link to some thoughts I had about combat in JKII...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=817452#post817452

If there's anyone who's interested, just drop me an e-mail, post, or PM.

PS: Darth-Syrup, fantastic work on ForceMod - it's the only way I play JKII anymore...

Deetox187
09-10-2002, 04:46 AM
excellent grapple Terc, just as i thought it would be. :)

lionknight
09-10-2002, 07:18 AM
NICE GRAPPLE!!!!

The Eternal
09-11-2002, 03:40 AM
could you please mail me the grapple model so i can implement it etc.. thanks :) ( the_eternal@wanadoo.nl )

also i will probably release some screenshots..
maybe lateron a simple mod for it (including the jetpack mod probably)
but i think we will not release the source for the hook. we do
want at least something unique in our mod ;) ;)

-Tercero-
09-11-2002, 04:40 AM
Should be in your e-mail now...

Jman3ooo
09-11-2002, 07:36 AM
Jman3ooo@yahoo.com If you would plz.....

aS^Tetsuo
09-21-2002, 08:44 AM
A grabble hook would indeed rule, but i was wondering if any one could give the source to me ? or give it free or something.

Coze i am beginning with mod making for JK2 and i already have a little mod, but a grapling hook would be sooo cool :P

so if some one wants to e-mail it please e-mail to o0akira0o@hotmail.com. tnx :P

The Eternal
09-23-2002, 01:35 PM
First of all it's verry unlikely we'll release the source, we will probably release a seperate simple mod for it, but not the source. also the code is too hard for any starting mod maker to understand. nothin too easy ;)

aS^Tetsuo
09-23-2002, 03:47 PM
guess that leaves me with the q3 grabble hook tutorial than ;P

btw, i am also working on a sort of Weapons of Destruction mod :)
so who knows, maybe we can join forces :D

lionknight
09-23-2002, 07:22 PM
First of, great job on your past work. Any idea when the grapple hook simple mod will be released. We are really excited to try the new grapple. What are the new function's you have been able to achieve? Thanks in advance.

The Eternal
09-25-2002, 03:21 PM
i've implemented hook bending and bot dragging in the hook.
if you know worms you probably know what i mean.
it's still far from perfect since i haven't worked on it too much yet :)
and it offcourse has proper physics (also not perfect ;) but getting there imo)

Jrob
09-25-2002, 08:56 PM
Your work is outstanding. Is there any way we could get a demo of this feature.

The Eternal
09-26-2002, 11:57 AM
not yet, but we will release one, not sure when tough :)

El Sitherino
09-26-2002, 07:26 PM
could i have a copy someone of the implemented grappling hook my email is SirFobos2021@yahoo.com (yes i know the moon of mars is spelled phobos but the guy on sealabe 2021 where i got this from is kinda stupid so i thought id get that across by spelling it wrong ok) just thought id make that clear so noone says (the moon is spelled phobos not fobos) which pisses me off. ok sorry but please let me have a copy

El Sitherino
10-01-2002, 11:31 PM
bumpity bumpity bump bump

The Eternal
10-02-2002, 04:14 PM
if you would've read the entire thread you could've seen we haven't released it yet, and won't release the source.
we will tough... but not YET ;)

El Sitherino
10-05-2002, 12:21 PM
i did read it i just meant for when you finish ok. i guess i forgot to add the when its finished part didnt i. i sorry eternal didnt mean to make you mad. *begging for forgiveness*

The Eternal
10-05-2002, 02:08 PM
i'm NEVER mad GODDAMNIT ;) ;)

:P no but serious.. the basic code is finished, all we need to do
is add sound and some other fx related stuff. then we can release it..

(end of next week, or the week after probably)

El Sitherino
10-05-2002, 03:18 PM
if you want i could help you get the sounds.

El Sitherino
10-05-2002, 11:22 PM
bump

The Eternal
10-09-2002, 05:04 AM
sorry for the delayed answer ;) but i've had alot to do lately
also another guy in the teamassault team is gonna do sounds
(he also put sounds in my jetpack)

El Sitherino
10-20-2002, 02:52 AM
weeeeeeeeeeee bump

mariners2001
10-20-2002, 04:07 AM
hehe, it's been a week...hehe *laughs like a schoolgirl*

El Sitherino
10-20-2002, 12:30 PM
oh no mariners turned into a giggling schoolgirl. ah quick we need that hook stat if we are to transform him back.

{xg}darthVADER
10-21-2002, 06:06 PM
any idea or esimate when it wil be done?

mariners2001
10-21-2002, 06:30 PM
well judging by what he said in his last post, it looks as though it'll be out anytime. however, i have a feeling that they may have already submitted it but jediknightii.net hasn't posted it yet. that's where they only sent their jetpack mod last time. hopefully, eternal can tell us how it's going and possibly give us a link to download here until jkii.net gets back up.

until then.....

*keeps giggling until Eternal returns*

El Sitherino
10-22-2002, 08:36 AM
*joins mariners in giggling*

El Sitherino
11-18-2002, 06:23 PM
is it done yet?

The Eternal
11-22-2002, 04:23 AM
Hi again, sorry for the long wait ;)
but i've been really bussy with other things lately.
i will probably release the source code soon, with the
mod (it isn't completely finished yet, lacks some graphics etc.
but it does work rather good... might need an easier
to use control scheme tough (hard to think of one which doesn't
use like 100 keys :D)

but i'll get the mod together and try to post it on jk2 when i have some more time. (tonight maybe? :p)

t3rr0r
11-22-2002, 08:24 AM
but i'll get the mod together and try to post it on jk2 when i have some more time. (tonight maybe? :p)
that'd be sweet. :O

El Sitherino
11-24-2002, 06:16 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh bump

The Eternal
11-25-2002, 05:52 AM
Heh haven't had ANY time again :(
i'll look into it this week ....
hope i get some time :)

El Sitherino
11-25-2002, 06:59 PM
ok cool cuz ive been going insane

The Eternal
11-26-2002, 03:29 AM
:)

mariners2001
11-26-2002, 05:59 PM
eek. i hope it's soon!

Hellfire Jedi
11-26-2002, 07:49 PM
ETA and finish this hot thang up dude Good luck with it :-)

El Sitherino
11-28-2002, 04:16 PM
bump........
where?......
in the road......
oh i see a bump in the road......
yeah.........
BUMP

Tinny
11-29-2002, 02:40 AM
oh wow, jango fett model, jetpack, flamethrower, and dual pistols and complex graple soon.

The Eternal
11-29-2002, 04:03 AM
aaahhhrgggg :p

nooo timmeee :rolleyes:
contact me this evening (European time) on icq (50535326)
to remember me to finish the mod.. when i'm
at home i have soo much stuff to do i always
forget :p

hope i remember it this evening.. and hope i have some time ;)
hook is still just a little buggy tough, but it does work cool :)
and since i''ll probably release the source code some guys which
actually understand the code (wow ;)) will fix the last few buggies :) (not much noticable...)

also once i released the mod, don't go asking me every silly
question possible ;) (hmm... thinks of jetpack :P) and read the
information with the released version :P

really hope i can get it done this weekend...

El Sitherino
11-29-2002, 03:22 PM
ok...........
FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH
oh and dont forget to FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH FINISH
is that enough reminder..........

Tinny
12-01-2002, 11:49 PM
hey Eternal, it probably is too late to suggest this already, but im assuming while swinging and approaching your grapple point you would be moving at incrdible speeds. therefore, im assuming it would be unfair for mecs to have that and a long range weapon such as repeater at the same time. making them hard targets and dangerous. so i was wondering if it could be mapped to a weapon, such as the stun baton and use grapple as its secondary function :D.

The Eternal
12-02-2002, 04:05 AM
You're not moving too fast unless you're swinging, and it would be as hard to hit another guy as for another guy to hit you so :)
also i'm not spening any more time on the code and i'll probably just release the mod with code. (holds code for reloadable weapons, jetpack (already out ;)) and the hook, and a small
start to a class system)

i'll try to mail it to a few sites this evening so you can all finally take a look :P

t3rr0r
12-02-2002, 06:32 PM
You're not moving too fast unless you're swinging, and it would be as hard to hit another guy as for another guy to hit you so :)
also i'm not spening any more time on the code and i'll probably just release the mod with code. (holds code for reloadable weapons, jetpack (already out ;)) and the hook, and a small
start to a class system)

i'll try to mail it to a few sites this evening so you can all finally take a look :P
w00t... can't wait to try it out. :D

Tinny
12-07-2002, 08:51 PM
hey Eternal, i don't want to sound bothersome, but i was just wondering, did you send it to the popular jo sites yet and just waiting for them to upload to the files sections?

The Eternal
12-12-2002, 04:12 AM
no :( STILL no time..
i think i'll just upload the code and qvms and
which aren't 100% finished yet. (still some minor bugs)
and things keep getting in the way.

12-23-2002, 07:53 PM
bump...only been two months since this was announced, dont want to rush anyone :P.

somewhere in this thread it went from "we wont release the source" to "im gonna post the source soon" without any announcement of the change, right? or did i miss something?

12-23-2002, 09:05 PM
just release it, someone who isnt so busy can squash the bugs.

El Sitherino
12-24-2002, 03:22 AM
shut up. thats all i gotta say. thank you bye.

12-28-2002, 12:46 PM
uh, does this dude think the netherlands are too far away for a midnight drive by?

release your code dutchman, or face the most feared american export, a hoopdie packed full of hard assed, pipe hittin niggas.

El Sitherino
12-28-2002, 01:20 PM
uhmmm.... yeah you know that wont make him want to release it dont you. cuz i know i would sure as hell beat your ass and never release a god damn thing cuz of that. maybe only email it to some people.

12-28-2002, 01:36 PM
mmm...humor must regularly evade your understanding.

and no, you'd TRY to kick my ass, id promptly feed you a curb sandwich, and put you back on the bus to dumbsville.

that last part wasnt humor, btw, for those with short attention spans.

El Sitherino
12-28-2002, 03:37 PM
yeah i fail to see how threatening him if its not released is humor. but anyways whatever.

Wudan
12-29-2002, 05:16 AM
Hmmmm ... I don't know who to side with. While I enjoy the occasional random-act-of-violence proposed by numeralboy, I, too, am a lover of asian women.

El Sitherino
12-31-2002, 11:40 AM
heh. wudan wanna card? you get free slushies everytime you mention your love of asian women.;)

Dark Reaper
12-31-2002, 12:19 PM
*hopes code gets released soon*
and offcourse hopes the same for the mod itself hehe..:D

and Numberguy!! Got anything against Dutch people, do you ?!?You better watch yourself, cause there are more Dutch people over here then you think there are !!! and I'm proud to be one of 'm !!

12-31-2002, 12:52 PM
mmm, lemme check... i got pink skin, blonde hair, blue eyes...no, dont think i hate dutch people. not that theres any reasonable way to extrapolate a hatred for the dutch on my part from the posts i made...but i digress.

i made a joke cuz the guy is dragging his feet, not cuz he's dutch :P.

Wudan
12-31-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
heh. wudan wanna card? you get free slushies everytime you mention your love of asian women.;)

Of course, you should know, I'm married to an asian woman, so I'm partial.

El Sitherino
12-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Of course, you should know, I'm married to an asian woman, so I'm partial. really i had no idea..... ok ill give you a card you can pick it up in a week. but i need you to fill out a form on yourself. you know hair color, eye color, height, weight, likes, dislikes, hobbies, and favorite position;) *optional*

Dark Reaper
12-31-2002, 08:24 PM
it's ok newb.. ehm numberguy ;)
is all of this still about the grapple ? and if it is... what do asian woman have to do with it ?!?!?

El Sitherino
12-31-2002, 10:41 PM
me and wudan were just chatting.

Wudan
01-01-2003, 09:42 AM
You know, just burning away the hours before the Grapple Hook is released.

Dark Reaper
01-02-2003, 12:29 PM
ah... yes ...
lalala..... * whistles* just waiting....
while time passes.. ...takes to long ... I'l go back to editing my gun model

Dark Reaper
01-24-2003, 04:01 PM
is this already released or what ?
cause if it is where can I find it?

Dark Reaper
03-09-2003, 02:08 PM
IS this thing out yet ????

t3rr0r
03-09-2003, 02:20 PM
nope.

lionknight
03-17-2003, 12:16 PM
What happaned to the new grapple mod, that you were going to release. We were really looking foward to it's new functions. And it would of gone great in force mod 2.0. Thank You

Tinny
04-19-2003, 06:11 PM
hey Eternal, just wondering if you've completed ur grapple hook mod :D

zeek2304
04-19-2003, 10:46 PM
WHAT IS THE HOLD UP?!?!?!

recombinant
04-22-2003, 02:41 AM
...and his last post was December.

Perhaps there will be no grapple?

;)

Wudan
04-22-2003, 11:13 AM
I think it would be ok to close this thread now. I'm tired of seeing it revived OVER AND OVER.

RenegadeOfPhunk
04-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Just to put everyone at rest,

Eternal is now pretty much out of the JKII modding scene. He's moved on to other things, and I don't think their's much chance of him coming back to it.

The stuff he had worked on I have in my posession. And I plan to at least look into getting it finished, specifically for my Movie Battles mod - but I will also release the grapple code seperately (as long as Eternal is Ok with it, which i'm sure he would be) so that everybody can incorrporate it.. This will be some time in the future though, cos I'm too busy to look at it right at the moment.

And I'm not making any promises. After all, it's always a real ball-ache messing around with other people's code. Especially when it's not even finished!!

...we'll see how it goes I guess...

recombinant
04-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by RenegadeOfPhunk
After all, it's always a real ball-ache messing around with other people's code. Especially when it's not even finished!!

...tell me about it. Working with WLS' code is a real PIA.

At any rate, thanks for the update!

:D