PDA

View Full Version : ** IDEAS wanted for a Competiton **

DarthMaulUK
09-16-2002, 06:48 AM
With the release of SWGB:SAGA, I am thinking about running a new competition to win some prizes. Once I have spoken with LA about prizes, I can announce what they will be.

So, I would like ideas from you to what sort of competition we should have.

I have already done:
Scenario contesnt
Simple Question/Answer

Let me know !
DMUK

KoL ShadowJedi
09-16-2002, 05:18 PM
an online scenario competition..... see who can make the best type. 3 types of course, Senate, RPG and Blood

pbguy1211
09-19-2002, 08:31 PM
how exactly would one win a senate game? please explain that to me.

KoL ShadowJedi
09-20-2002, 03:34 AM
who said winning a senate game?
I said MAKING

CorranSec
09-20-2002, 04:39 AM
um... ShadowJedi... you mention a competition to see who can make the best type of scenario, but then you restrict the types to three. I don't get it.
Personally, I think any scenario comp should be open to either all scenarios or a certain scenario type (ff, rpg, b&d, etc.).

Maybe "Most Ingenious Tactic" or some such? See who has the most amazing tactics, and anybody could view the thread, so everyone will benefit from knowing these tactics.
Maybe. I don't know.

DarthMaulUK
09-20-2002, 06:01 AM
If we held a contest like that, it wouldn't work. As I know from seeing on the MSN ZONE, someone makes 1 scenario and then others just hash it up and add in their own units - calling it 'theirs'.

If there was going to be a contest like that, it probably would be a Campaign, so people who have to actually think up something, rather than modifiy something, that I believe are a waste of time (such as Senate)

DMUK

KoL ShadowJedi
09-20-2002, 10:58 AM
i made the first senate and frankly i agree with u DMUK ppl just modify them and slap there name on it. I still make them but ppl dont like them because it hasn't got evry single hero from the game. Corran i think i said it wrong.... I just meant as an example.

CorranSec
09-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I agree with both of you. I've played a couple of those games but people just keep modifying them and calling them 'theirs.'
Oh, sorry, KoL. I think I understand what you mean now.
DMUK, that sounds like a pretty good idea (the campaign comp). You'd need to set some limits eg.
Campaign Competition
Submit a campaign, with:
-Between 7 and 9 scenarios
-Any mix of mission types (ff, b&d, etc.)
-etc.
Judged on:
-Ingenuity and creativity
-Map design
-Story
-Gameplay
-etc.
This would be pretty fun. Sure, you might end up with a couple of really poor campaigns, but you'd be sure to recieve a whole bunch of well-designed and enjoyable campaigns (which you can then make available for download)

Sithmaster_821
09-20-2002, 09:10 PM
KoL, you made the first senate game? I dont mean to be harsh, but the majority of the problems that plague swgb stem from senate games. Not you, but the people who came after you.

Admiral Vostok
09-22-2002, 08:40 PM
What would the prizes be? Presumably everyone who would enter already has Galactic Battlegrounds, and most if not all also have Clone Campaigns.

I think a Campaign competition is the way to go.

CorranSec
09-23-2002, 02:03 AM
DMUK said he's going to speak to LA about prizes... we'll just have to wait and see.
Yeah, once i think about it, a campaign comp is really the way to go. The only possible problem is that a talented and professional scenario making group, i know a couple of them are around but I forget their names, will come up with some great scenarios and take all the prizes. To deal with this I had an idea: there could be three sections, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, and they will be judged indepently. I don't know how you'd figure which class you'd fall into though... Oh well. I'll come up with something later.

DarthMaulUK
09-23-2002, 07:19 AM
Im not sure what the prizes will be yet. Im speaking with Lucasarts to find out what they can offer. I am hoping that they will be generous again (they gave us 5 copies of Clone Campaigns last time) and I will be looking for copies of Galactic Battlegrounds: SAGA and maybe other goodies like posters and stuff.

Once I know, I will let you all know. I will also be speaking with Activision in the UK who publish LA games for Europe so I dont have the mix up like last time with people outside the USA waiting months to get their prizes.

DMUK

Xirion
09-24-2002, 01:30 AM
what about having something fun?
like the a comp to make the best take off Campaigns, like a Space Balls Scenario :)
something Odd/Off beat type of thing/something to celebrate the humour of SW

eg
The Fellowship of the Droid :) ( i actually tried something like it but failed :p)
Indiana Calrissian and the Temple of Sabacc
3 wookiees and a jawa
george Lucas-Jedi Master :p
Goldern Rod- 00 C3PO

CorranSec
09-24-2002, 02:19 AM
That would be pretty fun. A "Best Humorous/Satirical Campaign" comp or some such. :D
It would still be judged on map design, playability etc., but it'd also be judged on humour.

KoL ShadowJedi
09-24-2002, 03:23 AM
well it wud be funny to see but i lack a lot of humor making skills!!!!! so i wud lose out on points for that :(

DMUK....so your saying the competition will be for europe aswell??
SWEET