PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Optimus Prime, By Sithlordii and me...

Arco
09-17-2002, 01:48 PM
Right well me and mike (sithlordii) have been busy on a new project. i thought I would pimp it here as it is going to be put in jk2. Well the thread title alone sugests what it is. So here are some pics...

the DW comic varient-
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/head_dw.jpg

the hand of the beast-
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/hand-cartoon.jpg

and here he is in all his cartoon glory-
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/op5.jpg

We will be making a high end version of the model with a cell shading effect and then one for peeps with not so good computers taht will not have the cell shading effect but will have a detailed comic stlye skin by me (wip)

I will update as soon as we do anything new. Enjoy and all crit is more than welcome... I want him to be PERFECT.

All prise should go to sithlord for such an AMAZINGLY acurate mesh. It rocks!

Arco:deathii:

ps: Transformers rock my world!

Madjai
09-17-2002, 01:59 PM
neat. could you explain this "cell shading" thing in detail?

Toonces
09-17-2002, 02:20 PM
It's a technique for making 3d models appear to be hand drawn. Check out Jet Grind Radio for Dreamcast for a good example, or the upcoming Robotech game for the X-Box

A quick example
http://www.celshader.com/classic/zones.html

More extensive info, the tuts are for lightwave, but this can be accomplished in Max
http://www.celshader.com/learning.html

Darth Vigrid
09-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Wow, I'll really be interested in how you go about implementing cell shading effects for JKii.

Madjai
09-17-2002, 02:29 PM
ahh its that thing theyre doing with Zelda... cool.

fat_101
09-17-2002, 02:50 PM
OMG.....i havent seen transformers for ... 10+ years , just seeing optimus prime has flooded memories back :) tnx

I hope this goes well, but as u and sithlord ii are working on it , itll be only the best.

FATTEH

P.S are u going to make the others :)

Deetox187
09-17-2002, 03:04 PM
That looks absolutely perfect, Transformers rule.

Luuke
09-17-2002, 03:04 PM
wow, seems like there are a lot of transformers fans around here!
the model looks really great... and the cartoon skin is almost perfect!!
but i think the head on the first pic could use some modifications!
in my opinion the "chin" (the rifled metal) makes him look more like the optimus from "beast wars" and looks a little bit stupid.
and the left and right side should also be blue without the metal on it.
but that's just my opinion, it looks really great, just my 2 cents

Andy867
09-17-2002, 03:29 PM
good looking WIP. By the way, when you say SithlordII, do you mean the Darth Vader modeler Sithlord-II. If so, its great to see him back in action, if not.. sniffle sniffle... But keep up the good work. Can't wait to see Optimus Prime in action.

[edit: Its good to hear Sith is back. JO just wasn't the same. ]

Toonces
09-17-2002, 03:33 PM
Yeah Andy, same guy :) He's been working on him for a while, it's a great model

sithlord-II
09-17-2002, 03:46 PM
i'll be around for a bit yet
:)
i was never really gone before... just taking a break, mostly -stress is not fun. And i never deleted any of my old work, nor would i have...
Optimus is nearing completion, i still need to work him into the game. There will be others...
and i have something helpful in the works as well for you guys, i've shown it around a bit to a few people and i have received some good feedback on it.

sithlord-ii

icepool
09-17-2002, 03:55 PM
Yeah the transformers are great. When the comics came out these past few months I started buying them. Never thought of a transformer an jk but seeing it I cant wait. This cell shading thing do you actually do it by hand in a way. If so that would be great.

BradFu
09-17-2002, 03:57 PM
Wooo! Transformers rock! Optimus looks great! Planning a Transformers Mod or TC at all? I sure hope so, of all the non-SW TCs or Mods that could be done for JKII, that would interest me the most! :D

Who's next on your list? I'd love to see the original Prowl :D Now you've got me all excited, maybe I'll try my hand at doing some Transformers models :)

12thMonkey
09-17-2002, 04:40 PM
I loved Transformers when i was little.

I love the cartoony effect on the skin and as usual Sithlord-II great model and nice to hear from you.

Arco
09-17-2002, 05:21 PM
to get the cartoon cell shaded effect it will firstly have an inverted version of the model that will give it a black outline (and double the polycount). And then I have made a shader that will give it that two tone manga cartoon stlye. A bit like a specular shader only different.

Madjai
09-17-2002, 05:38 PM
sounds, uh... confusing lol. good luck!

KMan
09-17-2002, 06:17 PM
Arco- you are going to use a spec map on it? Are you sure about that? You would probably want to use an env map as a filter over the image like how the Honey model was done.

Arco
09-17-2002, 06:37 PM
right more done on the varient skin. MEGA DETAIL!

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/dw-optimus.jpg

-Chrono_MOT-
09-17-2002, 06:53 PM
VERY NICE. But, since I was the world's biggest Transformers fan when I was a kid (and a huge Optimus booster) I have one rant...his fingers need to be more rounded. They look too human, and other than the hands the rest of the model is PERFECTLY accurate. So uh...when do you think you'll be starting on Galvatron? He kicked so much more ass than megatron (ooh ooh and maybe do Rodimus or even Goldbug/Bumblebee).

sithlord-II
09-17-2002, 07:02 PM
i made up optimus' hands a bit larger than the normal ones, and i had to make the fingers a bit less rounded due to poly count issues... i'll take a look and see what can be done for it, but right now i think they may have to stay as is
good point tho, i'll play with it later to see chrono

Arco
09-17-2002, 08:24 PM
nearly done on comic version-

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/dw-optimus2.jpg

Garik Loran
09-17-2002, 08:26 PM
Yeah, this model kick ass. :D Recently I watched all Transformers episodes from 1984 to 1987, oh man, this was my childhood. And now I see this great Optimus model, which just makes me wanting MORE Transformers. :p
Galvatron, Rodimus, Megatron, Starscream is cool, Cyclonus, Springer, Runabout and Runamuck... there are so many of them I like. :)
Erm, where was I?!? Did I say I love your Optimus?!
If someone is planning a Transformers TC....I join the team! ;)

Toonces
09-17-2002, 08:31 PM
heh, me too Garik, me too :D

I'm tempted in modeling one as well, Soundwave maby?

That skin is brilliant Arco

-Chrono_MOT-
09-17-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey, you know what? If I have time maybe I can model Optimus' gun for you. Since I don't know what skin you are going for, I don't really think I should skin it...but I'd like to give his gun a shot. I haven't seen it in a while, anyone got reference pics?

sithlord-II
09-17-2002, 09:50 PM
arco - dang. I am tearing up. I want to have your children
heheh
:D

Arco
09-17-2002, 10:00 PM
cheers. It ain't done yet tho. I still have tweekage and niggles to iron out. I wanna sharpen up the legs too. Cos they could be better.

Plasmacoolant
09-17-2002, 11:51 PM
Very cool guys.

Looks great.

nomad
09-18-2002, 03:18 AM
You guys are too awesome!
I love it.
sithlord, talk about picking this stuff back up with a bang. Man, what scale would you want to set this guy on in Jedimod? :)

Heh, those skins are looking amazing Arco, and sithlord that mesh looks mint. This will bring one of my good buddies to tears when he sees this.
It's funny I was just watching an old Max Fleischer cartoon and was thinking about cel shaders for JK2. Way to go guys :D

-nomad

MTFBWY

-Chrono_MOT-
09-18-2002, 09:24 AM
considering they turn into cars when they transform, you would probably want Optimus to be somewhere around 2.0

fat_101
09-18-2002, 11:33 AM
:eek: that looks awesome !!!! u guys rock :urpdude:

FATTEH

bleek
09-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Plasmacool....do you only release your skins on your website? You are an awesome skinner looks like to me! I luv that Hydro Jan and Tavion skins.

MF-SIRDARLON-HC
09-18-2002, 01:26 PM
OH MY GOD, SITHLORD, I LOVE YOU, THIS IS THE BEST SKIN IN THE WORLD, REALLY, THANKS GUYS :deathii: :D :D :D :D :D :D

Flamegrape
09-18-2002, 02:05 PM
Lookin' good, guys! Think you'll work on any of the other Autobots or Decepticons?

Koldsabercut
09-18-2002, 02:14 PM
Oh wow. I think I'm about to faint. My heart just skipped a beat.

I LOVE Transformers (the original ones not those dumb ones out today)! I want to see the dino guys made! What were they called again? It's been so long since I have seen the show. Oh yeah, maybe this is wishful thinking but; on some later date would you guys consider making you transformers skins....erm.... transform? If you did I'd probably kill to get them. :D :p

Edit: Just remembered. Their name is the Dinobots!

JusticeAngel
09-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Either way you look at it. I will HAVE that model, and/or any more that can be made. Just for parting gifts though, speaking of Transformers, check this bad mother of a video clip out. It caught me off guard when I seen it. Cool transformation effects. Check this out.

----> http://members.cox.net/michaelsstorage/VWMPG.mpg

:atat:

Keeper
09-18-2002, 03:16 PM
One question: Will it come with Truck transformation ability too? :D

Okay. The real question: Will it have real taunts and sounds from the cartoon? That would rock so much :urpdude::twogun:

JusticeAngel
09-18-2002, 03:18 PM
God, that would be nice, but even if not, it is not too difficult to add those. I've turned into a Goldwave master. Well, at least knowledgeable anyway.

JusticeAngel
09-18-2002, 03:22 PM
I'd add a line like... "Freedom is the right of ALL sentient beings."
Hella!!!!!

sithlord-II
09-18-2002, 03:55 PM
One shall stand, one shall fall.

he will have taunts from the show and movie, i do plan on a full sound pack for him. I have a little bit more to do on the mesh by means of touching up and UV mapping last bits for arco to sink his teeth into.

Currently, Optimus will not transform in JK2 - perhaps in other engines if he is ported to them...

Davesy
09-18-2002, 03:57 PM
One Question!

When will it be ready! Only just got JK2 running over the office LAN, Kick's butt! Need more models!

Does anyone know if there is an Ewok model out there??!?!?

R2D202
09-18-2002, 04:41 PM
This is cool, lets hope no pethetic jedis muck it up... May the force be with this model, and the emporer models coming out................

hawk_of_war
09-18-2002, 07:04 PM
Wow, Looks good, and we haven't had any "Star Wars ONLY" loosers reply yet.

As for the cell shading, its been done in many Q3 engine games before. It looks awsome if implemented right.

Arco
09-18-2002, 08:32 PM
Well i'm pretty much done on the skins now. there will be more updates soon tho hopefully.

Jo
09-18-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by sithlord-II
One shall stand, one shall fall.

he will have taunts from the show and movie, i do plan on a full sound pack for him. I have a little bit more to do on the mesh by means of touching up and UV mapping last bits for arco to sink his teeth into.

Currently, Optimus will not transform in JK2 - perhaps in other engines if he is ported to them...

He can be imported to transform on Bid For Power: the quake 3 mod

TheDeathBringer
09-18-2002, 09:54 PM
Great work this looks like every thing else the all-star team has done before all of arco sithlordii and others always looks great but when you put pros together you give people chill bumbs by there outstanding work. Incase anyone didnt know theres a new transformers out but its not as good as the first... (fridays cartoon network)

Beanspan
09-18-2002, 11:11 PM
My god in heaven, that model looks amazing. I am a huge fan of Optimus Prime, and that is the best 3D model I have ever seen of him. SithLord and Arco, you guys need to do this stuff for a living. I am not going to sit here and pick at any of it. The model is obviously dead on, and the skin- the comic one in particular- is detailed like madness!
Please finish this.. and someone get to work on a SP Kyle replacement so that I can kick Desann's ass with the big OP!!!!

Brings tears to me wee eyes... (sniff)

I think Megatron or Galvaton would make a great next model, then you could replace Desann with him.. oh the possibilities!

Bookmaker221
09-18-2002, 11:59 PM
Excellent model, excellent skin. There are some differences between the DW skin and what Prime actually looks like in the comic, such as the missing detailing in the thighs, the ridges on the shins go all the way up to the knee, biceps and elbows are silver, the blue bit at the bottom of the crotch, the exorbitant amount of plate lines accross his body... all excluding the totally different proportions Pat Lee draws Prime in. But the character is completely recognizable and flawlessly executed.

And more people need to be buying DreamWave Productions' Transformers comic, written by Chris Sarracini and illustrated by Pat Lee. Both the art and the story are the best Transformers related media I've seen out of anything, including the original season. I'd skip Transformers: Armada, which they are also adapting, and I can't make any calls on The War Within (a limited series detailing how Optimus came to be Prime). But get Transformers by DW. (Best moment so far: Prime leaping up to Devestator's head and letting loose with his gun. Lots of collatoral damage, which actually plays a large role in the series.)

gorganfloss
09-19-2002, 12:17 AM
Great model guys!
Keep it up!:thumbsup:

E.B.o.R.C.
09-19-2002, 12:20 AM
I am glad to see a community that seems so strong come together and recognize "good ideas." In this case, a model. A great one at that that will surely please all those familiar with the Transformers in any way what-so-ever. Hopefully, as the TC's role out they will be recognized as well. Not even the UT community had such a strong gathering. Way to go JK2!:D

peloquin
09-19-2002, 03:35 AM
oh happy day :) this just brings a smile to my face.

You sound like you have all the sounds taken care of, I just thought I'd offer my help if needed as I have the complete 1st season of 1st gen on DVD. I've been watching it every morning for the last few weeks and loving every minute of it.

I was laughing for at least an hour after hearing Brawn call soundwave a "dipstick tapedeck"

long live skyfire!!

fat_101
09-19-2002, 06:49 AM
justice angel , that clip was brilliant, wow i thought it was an actual car then it does its transformation :eek:

looks real, but on a bad note i always woundered where they got there weapons from....looked like he pulled it outta his a**e :D slightly disturbing :(

FATTEH

Woodrodius
09-19-2002, 06:52 AM
HEY! THAT'S NOT IN STAR WARS! WHATS THE BIG IDEA?!!!!!

lol j/k, look great, let's just hope a Decepticon model comes out so we can all do in first person what we all did with toy's in a pile of dirt behind our house. Have transformer fights, hehe.

JusticeAngel
09-19-2002, 10:49 AM
First off, thanks for the compliment Fat_101. Next, just because of the forum and this model, I began going over jk2 models this morning. Gotta keep up with the world.

Anyway, I won't touch the Transformers. DOn't want to muck up the lineage started here. I'll do the Thundercatsthough. Already got the Sword of Omens hilt, so the player models were just next in line.

sithlord-II
09-19-2002, 12:18 PM
woodrodius said:

"let's just hope a Decepticon model comes out so we can all do in first person what we all did with toy's in a pile of dirt behind our house. Have transformer fights, hehe"

hopefully, soon
;)

Psynex
09-19-2002, 03:34 PM
"Coming through people, stand aside please!"

Boy, it was hard pushing my way through all those praising comments. Now to get down to it. I see this more and more on these threads everyday and it's starting to make me sick. Everyone giving praise, but not a single person dares to criticize. Well, I plan to put a stop to that because everyone needs it; it only makes us all better artists.

I'm notorious for attention to detail (not replicating it, but seeing it). AND I was of the generation to first lay eyes on the Generation one series of Transformers and have never let it leave my site. I'm still collecting the toys/figures in fact. Just got my Prowl G1 Takara re-issue in it's collectors edition box. I wasn't going to open it, but I feel it necessary because by the looks of it they molded it all in plastic. Bad Monkeys!

Anyway, I'm thrilled there's an Optimus model on its way to jk2, however there are a few minor areas on the model that could use some serious touch up to make it look more like the G1 Optimus.

First, the grill the section of his waist that would be considered the hips of the model should be raised a bit as the "hips" are the headlights of Optimus when in truck mode and are joined to the grill.

Second, those cubes on the sides of his legs...? I know it's based on DW but that was one of many drawings they have of Optimus, not to mention there are SOOooo many generations of the character itself. The look you're going for is the original, so those cubes should be cylinders. Go take a look at a real Mac truck and notice those big chrome barrels near the wheels (and sometimes under the cab I believe; used for a step). Speaking of wheels...

...let us not forget (or here's a lesson for all of you youngsters out there), Optimus is a truck! Trucks have wheels! Again, I saw the blueprint drawing of Optimus by DW comics, but it's just a rendition. One I'm not too fond of.

Lastly, those ugly feet. Optimus never had boots. His trailer hitch became his legs and feet. Those metal sneakers you gave him don't make him look like he could turn into a truck either. Dreamwave made a really kick @s$ poster of Optimus with his right leg HUGELY defined by foreshortening. There is the perfect example of what his feet should look like. The tail lights for the truck end up becoming the "tips of his toes" and sit flush with the form of his legs when pointed straight down. Let's not forget the apparent detail where the ankle joint is...it's much like a link in a wrist-watch band.

I think your team is very talented, but if you're going to introduce a character that's been around for 20 years, a bit of research and some major thinking/decision making are in order.

Arco
09-19-2002, 06:52 PM
hmmm psynex you are wrong ish. The model was based off the cartoon. So the point about wheels is mute as they disappear when he transforms and also the feet look like that in the cartoon. The point about the box on the side of his shin is good tho... but I don't think it's really a big deal. It doesn't detract and keeps the polycount down. look at this site-
http://www.thetransformers.net/characters/optimus_prime.html

the DW stlye skin I did and I emphasize STLYE. Is just inspired by the comic and since the model is the cartoon version I can't make it exactly the same and I don't want to either.... think of it as more of the jk2 incarnation of optimus if anything.

I rest my case. I would of course be happy to accpet crit on my skinning technique. But saying it is wrong in terms of what it looks like isn't really so good in this particular case. And the artist should be allowed some creative freedom. Look at what Pat Lee did in the Dreamwave comics... they look very different there. This is really just another incarnation of optimus BASED on the cartoon.

and I think it is very rude saying we didn't do any research. i also own the toys and the cartoons on tape and the movie and I downloaded a huge amount of reference images to help me out. I tried very hard to make it as acurate as posible and I am afraid that you are going to have to likei t or lump it.

I apologise in advance if this is rude but I have been up on my feet 10-10 today and I am very tired.

-Chrono_MOT-
09-19-2002, 06:58 PM
hey, justice I think I may still have the Sword Of Omens full hilt on my computer if you want the milkshape file for it.

Also, as soon as I'm done with my End Of Time map, I think I'll start working on Autobot Base.

Midgit Yoda
09-19-2002, 08:18 PM
Whoa man, how can you diss this model by sayin it's "incorrect". This is extremely accurate. It's based on the cartoon. Besides it's their interpretation of Optimus Prime. I personally think it's a shame that they just make these models for a living because they're both top notch modelers/skinners. Great job guys. I'll have to say that's gonna be my favorite model because as a young kid, I was a Transformer Finatic (and also praise god it isn't optimus Primal. Beast Wars was kewl but Optimus Primal looked gay in it and Beast Machines (the sequal to Beast Wars) sucked ass).
And now to JusticeAngel, holy god that video is freakin awesome.

sithlord-II
09-19-2002, 08:23 PM
few addons to what arco said

Psynex said:
"AND I was of the generation to first lay eyes on the Generation one series of Transformers "

just what generation, exactly, do you think arco and myself are from?
i still have a few of the original TF's kicking around, not re-issues...

and arco is right, the wheel point only has meaning if we planned to base him off the toy... on that respect optimus is faithful to the cartoon.
The skin there is based on DW but the model is based upon the cartoon. There will be a full cartoon skin included as well.

the shin part is a good crit but i went with the current shape because from the source images i had from the show, when he is in robot form, those parts really do look quite square - so for polycount sake, i kept it low.
and i personally do consider your assumptions a bit rude, too. I have absolutely no problems with constructive criticism, but your position was a bit abrasive. Do you think we were asking for all these "praise" posts you seem to be so angry about?

"Everyone giving praise, but not a single person dares to criticize. Well, I plan to put a stop to that because everyone needs it; it only makes us all better artists."

Why weren't you doing this before? why now? and will you only criticize transformers models?

i don't mean to scare you off at all dude, i'm not angry or anything but one suggestion; for future crits, just be as honest as possible and dont try to position it as anything else. Point out areas that can be improved and give suggestions, like you did in your post, but don't make incorrect assumptions about the people working on it. Work with what you know and not with what you assume, it makes the crits much more valid and the author will be more willing to listen to it.

sithlord-ii

Madjai
09-19-2002, 11:20 PM
sithlord-II said:
"Why weren't you doing this before? why now? and will you only criticize transformers models?"

im assuming he didnt post earlier because he was waiting for criticism but only found praise, so he got all mad and had enough of this nice and happy thread and posted. and i doubt he would ONLY criticize transformer models, he just feels the need to because he sees himself as an expert in the "field" (and i wouldnt deny this).

but thats only my opinion, and i like to consider all sides of a story.

Psynex
09-19-2002, 11:48 PM
Ok. I have two statements. I didn't mean to sound rude before. I'm just a bit of a blunt person sometimes. I also didn't realize it was just the skin that was based on DW comics, which is why I pointed out the wheels and feet. Even though it's true to the cartoon, that cartoon had a lot of anomalies in it. Why they never drew on the wheels in robot form I'll never know, but the point is they should have been there. And an "honest" criticism for you is I think the wheels will better balance the bulk of the model. The lower half looks a bit "small" in conjunction to the torso. Plus it's more for your eyes to look at. The grey boxes on his legs would look nicer as the cylinders they should be. Even the link above show them. But if there were tires there, leaving them as boxes wouldn't be as recognizable.

Secondly, I have criticized other models too, I didn't just start with this one. Take a look at kman's Samus Aran thread if you don't believe me.

I'm not a bad guy really; I'm not here to make any enemies. I would expect the same on any of my models had I a place to post pictures. That statement about doing research came out all wrong too. I simply meant going over the many different generations and renditions of various artists and picking out the best visual aspects to make the model. Despite what I said I can understand cutting back on the legs now, but couldn't you add the wheels as part of the highest level of detail? I plan on getting the new Radeon 9700 so I don't expect it to be pushed to it's limits too easily.

So I appologize for my abrupt tone and leading peoople to think I was "dissing".

I still think the hips area should be raised more flush with the grill though as they are a part of each other.

On a side note, someone mentioned the Sword of Omens? I have a model in the works if someone wants to see pics. I was going for high poly on this one though to add meshmooth for a Blizzard quality render. But some optimization could be done if anyone wanted to use it in jk2.

ibballin
09-20-2002, 02:20 AM
Best Model EVER!!! IMO well that cause hes who i go buy on JO and RTCW. Good job guys you did it again

sithlord-II
09-20-2002, 03:01 AM
hey psynex, no worries
i may still perhaps modify the tanks on the legs for the lower poly/detailed version, and for the cel-shaded, i will leave it the same, because well, it probably won't be noticed on that one...
I did modify the hips slightly to raise its top up a bit towards the grill, the hips were a bit small compared to the actual cartoon.

i had considered putting wheels on there too, but i think for now, i will leave them off, it would make a neat detail... perhaps in future if i play around with it, but i kinda wanted to have it look more like the cartoon version, regardless of anomalies (of which there were a good deal, but hey, i didn't care... it was great nonetheless)

what is funny, is i think that the bottom half is almost bigger than the top because of the length - seen from the side, i gave the legs appropriate bulk to even it out

don't worry, i believe you have given crits for other stuff, i just haven't been around the forums in a while, so i have lost track of who is around here...

i'm not around here to make enemies, i'd sooner be able to work with and for the other guys here in the forums than fight with them, including yourself. I do hope to get more crits from you and others in future, instead of either those two great opinions "THAT SUCKS" or "OMG YUO R A GOD!!! MAEK ME THIS MODLE PLS PLS"
heh

nomad
09-20-2002, 03:33 AM
Well said.
I'll back you up in that you were right to take a little offense to some of that, but no worries Psynex. I know you didn't really mean to sound that rude. Good crit is not rude, but questioning their research efforts... aah any way that's over with.
I'm just glad that none of you are going to hold it against eachother for a few words typed here and there ;)
Lets face it, when involving things from this "generation" (And I believe that we share roughly the same one) not many topics will grow more passionate than Star Wars and Transformers ;)

On that note... Sith,
Will you be using an invisible pole to get Prime's size right?
-Just kidding :p
Have you begun any weighting on him yet? I was just wondering if there were any tricks you were planning to attempt to use, in order to get a certain rigid style of movement (Of course within the constraints of the JK2 Engine)
Just curious about that part of the process, as I know you're a bit of a pro at it.

-nomad

The empire... more than meets the eyes. Han and Luke... rebels in disguise.
(ooh that was bad)

sithlord-II
09-20-2002, 04:36 AM
BLAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG!!!!

heh
dang invisible pole, coming back to attack me in the ass.

Of course if you were serious, i'd have to break something very very soon. (Well, tomorrow is my last day at my old job, and we do have a bunch of broken Xboxes and PS2's in the back room... )
SMASHY SMASHY
heheh

ah, the good old invisible pole legacy... i think that should go down as an infamous bit of JK2 modeling lore

but i have started on some test weighting, i have a few options on hand - one is to actually have each model part or otherwise be physically modeled to each part of the skeleton (ie physically broken at each part to give it a more mechanical look)
so say, the upper torso, just above the grill, would be linked to upper_lumbar, and such
whereas most of the other parts would be linked to each corresponding part, and for areas that rotate in the middle (thigh, forearm, and such), perhaps break the model at a specific point to allow for that part to actually rotate independently (that way we don't get a bending metal effect on his limbs...)

Woodrodius
09-20-2002, 06:04 AM
Off topic but, remember Battlebeasts? Man, those things kicked ass, with the little holograms on their chests. Awwww.....

To make this post look feasible I'll just say, keep up the good work. This model is "More then meets the eye?" Muahahah

cROsIs**
09-20-2002, 08:55 AM
;)

Psynex
09-20-2002, 10:07 AM
BTW that praise thing was directed at the masses, not at the team. Just so you know. Sith said it best when he posted "I do hope to get more crits from you and others in future, instead of either those two great opinions "THAT SUCKS" or "OMG YUO R A GOD!!! MAEK ME THIS MODLE PLS PLS"
heh"

Anywho, for weighting, I'd say seperate parts is good. Maybe just rigid assignments at the shoulders, elbows, knees and ankle (much like the Half-Life animation system). But I think the hips area should be done more fluidly. You wouldn't want the grill seperating itself. The shoulders should move in conjunction so I don't know what you would do there. In the cartoon his abs and hips section could "flex" slightly I'm pretty sure. Just his upper body is a cab so his shoulders shouldn't be independently moveable.

Arco
09-20-2002, 10:57 AM
hey doooods. i been busy. i hope these pics make you feel a little better psynex. i have changed a few things and have been adding detail till my arse hurts!

here is a nice wallpaper for those with 56k (myself included)-

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/optimus_prime_final.jpg

and here is a HUGE render and i mean HUGE well over 2000 pixels high. This is so you can look at all teh details and just see him big... like he should be. You may well have problems downloading this as it is huge....

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/optimus-bigrender.jpg

i'm still working on him adding bits here and there etc... it will be PERFECT!

R2D202
09-20-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by ibballin
Best Model EVER!!! JO and RTCW

Erm, i dont think this is the BEST model ever (I think the Emporer model coming up and the Yoda model are the best)

But this model/skin is the 3rd best in my books.

Arco
09-20-2002, 12:32 PM
evil optimus guys an gals!

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/genq3/eviloptimus.jpg

sithlord-II
09-20-2002, 01:51 PM
way ahead of you psynex - i will have to weight the hips area a bit more fluidly, especially the top of the legs, too, as they come into the hips - otherwise they will clip and seperate like crazy

i will be playinga round with him a bit more tonite (busy today...
:(

but i should have a somewhat screwy version working ingame soon, and after that, i will touch it up more
heheh

Garik Loran
09-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Yeaj, looking great. But what about making Scourge from the RID series out of the evil Optimus. The textures would just need some turquise on some places, and if you want to make an own model for Scourge it would be even better.
There are not many differences between Optimus and Scourge, so I think a new model would be too much work (it's easy to write that :D )
I have found some pics for you, so you can see what changes would have to be made.
Front: http://thetransportal.hypermart.net/RID_Scourge_7.JPG
Back: http://thetransportal.hypermart.net/RID_Scourge_8.JPG
close-up: http://thetransportal.hypermart.net/RID_Scourge_12.JPG
img: http://www.transfandom.net/rid/NEWTECHS/BBC-C.jpg
http://www.transfandom.net/rid/Images_Cartoon/_caps/scourge025.jpg
http://www.transfandom.net/rid/Images_Cartoon/_caps/scourge022.jpg
http://www.transfandom.net/rid/Images_Cartoon/_caps/scourge039.jpg

And here is Scourge's head compared to Optimus'
http://www.transfandom.net/rid/Images_Cartoon/_caps/scourge015.jpg
http://www.seibertron.com/cartoon/tftm_dvd/dvd002/tftm_dvd0054.jpg
What do you say? Is it possible? And would you like to do it after Optiumus is finished?

Toonces
09-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Psynex
BTW that praise thing was directed at the masses, not at the team. Just so you know. Sith said it best when he posted "I do hope to get more crits from you and others in future, instead of either those two great opinions "THAT SUCKS" or "OMG YUO R A GOD!!! MAEK ME THIS MODLE PLS PLS"
heh"

heh, I guess I do that alot ;)

Love the Evil Optimus skin Arco :D Are you going to put a Decepticon symbol on him?

OMG YURE GODS! MAEK ME THIS MODUEL PLS!!! MAEK ME DIS! (www.drivingcatstudios.com/evilfisto.jpg) ;)

icepool
09-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Acro those skins look great. As for critisism I wish I could help you out and give you some but as far as I can tell that looks almost exactly as he does in the comic and the cartoon. As said there has always been variations so every artist is going to have there own style wether it be 2d art or 3d art. As far as making a decepticon I think megatron would be better than galvatron since Megatron and Optimus Prime were arch enimies. Im pretty sure if I remeber right Megatron became Galvatron in a pit of lava sort of like anakin to Vader.:rolleyes:

Arco
09-20-2002, 02:45 PM
heh toonces my skins get everywhere nowadays!

no scourge type person i'm afraid. You can make your own skin tho when the model comes out. which reminds any good skinners wanna do a skin for him? I don't think mike would mind if we had some different talent on this guy..... kman i'm thinking you baby!

I am in the process of a battle damaged prime... i may or may not complete it. I am getting tired now.

Garik Loran
09-20-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by icepool
As far as making a decepticon I think megatron would be better than galvatron since Megatron and Optimus Prime were arch enimies. Im pretty sure if I remeber right Megatron became Galvatron in a pit of lava sort of like anakin to Vader.:rolleyes:
Indeed, Megatron became Galvatron. When he killed Optimus and was heavily damaged Starscream threw him out of Astrotrain. Eventually Unicron gave Megatron a new body and called him Galvatron. After a battle with the new born Rodimus Prime Galvatron was thrown out of Unicron and landed in a Plasma bath where he rested. Later Cyclonus and the sweeps came to bring him back.
So it's not exactly like Anakin to Vader ;)
When Optimus Prime was resurrected later Rodimus became Hot Rod again and from then on Galvatron and Optimus were archenemies as well as Megatron and Optimus were, so personally I think Galvatron would not be a bad choise (especially since Galvatron is my favourite of all times :) )
(And the RID Scourge.)
Well this was kind of off-topic, just wanted to let you know.

Arco
09-20-2002, 04:12 PM
ahahahaha! galvatron :P

megatron was the original and better for it. the end. but yeah galvatron could still be made i guess.

Zathu Koon
09-20-2002, 05:40 PM
Nice!

I really appreciate this as a transfan. :cool:

Now, if only there was a TM2 Spittor/Gushar/Slapper model being made, heh heh...

Psynex
09-20-2002, 05:50 PM
always funny how not only the characters change, but didn't really, so did the toy line. The evil optimus reminds me of the newly release Scourge figure, but if you look at that...the new scource is just a new paint job on the Generation 2 optimus prime mold, (http://www.botcollector.com/TFInfo.asp?ID=373) so by doing the Transformers association game...you can almost say that the Evil Optimus skin is Scourge.

{edit}

Oh yes, the grill looks much better now. What poly count is he at?

Garik Loran
09-20-2002, 08:28 PM
To Arco and Sithlord-II,
I have not much time lately, so I think I won't make new models in the near future, but I would really like to have that RiD Scourge.
So I thought, maybe I could edit your Optimus when it's finished.
Of course I respect your work and when you say you don't want it, I won't do it.
But it doesn't cost anything to ask.
It would save a lot of work with the legs, hands and head, so please think about it before you say "no". ;)

Midgit Yoda
09-20-2002, 09:39 PM
Well, how many of you guys out there would like to see a good ole megatron model? Well I finished the mesh on my Cloud model but I just can't get all the kinks out of it for some reason. I started it over in a low poly version (the polycount on the original cloud was pretty big so it wouldn't work on crappy comps). I'm thinkin it probably wouldn't take long to make a Megatron (block man deluxe :)). I've started on him a lil'. I have the torso and hips nearly completed leaving only the head arms and legs left. If people actually want him I might release him if not, I guess I'll continue on cloud.

Phizzle
09-20-2002, 09:58 PM
That would be really cool but I think you should finish Cloud first. :p model lookin great

sithlord-II
09-21-2002, 01:18 AM
midgit:
arco and i kinda had plans for this one...
;)

Midgit Yoda
09-21-2002, 02:24 AM
Oh ummmm. Well, I have already Finished the mesh and nearly done UVMapping it and started skinning the head.........
That's basically all I've worked on for 2 days heh. I wouldn't have started it if I had known. I expect to have it in game by the beginning of next week (probably Tues. or Wed.). I don't exactly know what to say. I guess I'll just go ahead and finish mine since it's already so near completion. That'll tide the people over for yours since you're the more "recognized" and experienced modeler. If nothing else I'll have fun playing with my Megatron and that's all that matters. I've had a blast makin him and can't wait to get the rest of him in Photoshop :)

sithlord-II
09-21-2002, 03:20 AM
no worries man
send pics!

Arco
09-21-2002, 07:35 AM
I have sad news for you jk2 types. Mike and I have decided to stop trying to get this badboy ingame. He just won't weight properly and it is too hard to get him to animate to the animations. But we are still going to put him in ut2k3 and we are still gonna make the best megatron posible. No jedi optimus from us guys.

Garik Loran
09-21-2002, 08:03 AM
:rolleyes: You know what that means?!!? :mad:
This means I have to go and get UT2003 :p
Heehee, that's not so bad news.

Midgit Yoda
09-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Well guys, if you want you can send it over to me and I'll try my best to get it in game, I don't see why it wouldn't actually "go" ingame but I can see where animation might be a problem. Also, Sithlordii, I am going to release some renders of Megatron once I get a rough skin on him b/c w/o the skin he looks odd in these renders I already have. I have about half of his face skinned roughly (keep that in mind, roughly lol). I should be able to post a decent head skin by later today or later tomorrow.

fat_101
09-21-2002, 11:53 AM
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
im not getting unreal 2k3 , :( i think its the same as the first one tarted up.( <---this opinion to be changed when u2k3 and optimous prime realeses over net :D )

FATTEH

P.S when ppl goto unreal2k3 and model are they all gonna run to doom3 when that comes out :( oh man my heads so confused :confused:

edit:oh midget ur da man

Psynex
09-21-2002, 12:57 PM
"I thought you were made of sturner stuff"

and

"It's over Priiiime!"

That's all I have to say. ;)

-Chrono_MOT-
09-21-2002, 04:59 PM
hehe that's the coolest scene in the whole movie.

"nnnnnnnnOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Now...it's over."

12thMonkey
09-21-2002, 05:57 PM
I dont mind one bit if its only coming out for UT2K3, cos i am gonna certainly get UT2K3 anyway.

Woodrodius
09-21-2002, 09:40 PM
Bummer! We will Opti-Miss, this model. Muahahah, my pun's know no end!

sithlord-II
09-21-2002, 10:29 PM
hi guys... yeah, i'm sorry about this, i was hoping to be able to get him to work in JK2... but unfortunately, that will only happen with some *severe* modifications and design changes that go beyond just how i modeled him, it goes into optimus's design itself, and i didn't want to stray too far from his basic design.... regardless of what changes i may have made to him for sizing and such i tried to stay faithful to the material and i feel i cannot do that without ending up with a horribly butchered version. The model and the JK2 skeleton just do not agree with each other...

Midgit Yoda
09-21-2002, 10:53 PM
Sithlordii, I just experienced your problem with my Megatron. The chest needs to be wider than the collar bones are on the model. I tried stretching them but then it just mucked up the widths of the arms and stuff. Then I tried again to get the chest to look "normal" with out editing the skeleton and I just couldn't do it, so I'm makin mine lower poly (about 1000) and putting it in Unreal Tournament for now and I'll use the higher poly version for Unreal Tournament 2003 (and it'll be better because I fixed the proportion problem).

sithlord-II
09-22-2002, 03:24 AM
yeah.... its a pain in the butt, eh?
i figure i'd sooner have the model as originally intended than to have to hack it up... it wouldn't be so bad if it was a human model but for something like optimus, its too hard to fit him to the skeleton and still have him look like optimus, whilst animating decently
oh well... onto bigger and better things i guess.... i do hope there is some way eventually to put him in as he should be...

Dark_One
09-22-2002, 03:52 AM
But how did they make those Gundam models then?? Or aren't they like the optimus and megatron model?

Midgit Yoda
09-22-2002, 01:54 PM
Well the Gundam Models are more Human based and human proportioned than Transformers are. Plus I think they were edited TO fit the JK2 skeleton unlike myself and sithlordii want to do.
Sithlordii, I don't know if you are going to or not but my megatron (now the right proportions) is low enough poly to get into UT so that's what I'm workin sorta on as a side project. Also I am glad you decided to come back heh.

Dark_One
09-22-2002, 03:59 PM
I guess you guys are right ... bending metal arms look kinda stupid :(

Dark_One
09-22-2002, 04:01 PM
Before I forget .... what about those newer transformers, from the beast wars. They aren't that *how do I put this* blocky.

They look nice too ... not the same but nice :D

sithlord-II
09-22-2002, 08:18 PM
the new transformers from beast wars... ugh...
heheh
and for my models i plan to go into UT 2k3...
btw there are some shots up there for the megatron model i am working at, just started him last nite

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005185.html?00006

Jim Fuse
09-22-2002, 08:34 PM
If you get this to work I will worship you.

Midgit Yoda
09-23-2002, 12:13 AM
grrrr I wanted Megatron grrrr lol
I guess I'll do a Beast Machines Megatron (the one in the like square body thing with the wires in his head lol, that'd be sweet). Bumble bee maybe.... hmmm heheh. eh that's in the future I have some JK2ing to do (GUMBY!). If you had gotten optimus in JK2, my gumby would have killed him in combat! lol

sithlord-II
09-23-2002, 01:09 AM
hey man
the megatron i was onto wont be done for a lil bit... i had always planned to work on megs after optimus was done anyways, right from the start - i was originally going to create both models then release them as a surprise two-pack....
dont quit making yours just because arco and i have one coming, ours won't even be going into JK2 because of the same reasons we stopped optimus for jk2

Midgit Yoda
09-23-2002, 07:50 AM
Ehh c'mon Sithlordii I was jsut messin wit ya. I don't care, I'll make somethin else (SPAWN lol)

SSO_DarthVader_
09-23-2002, 01:08 PM
I'm a HUGE Transformers fan! I've seen G1, Beast Wars, Beast Machines, RiD (which sucked), and Armada (which is new, and sucks).

I can't wait to try out your OP model, hope you make more of the other characters as well!

SSO_DarthVader_
09-23-2002, 01:15 PM
Oh crap, you ain't releasing OP for JKII? Damn...*crawls to a corner*

sithlord-II
09-26-2002, 03:58 AM
hi guys.. thought this might be relevant to this thread as well...

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Forum2/HTML/005185.html?00016

unfortunately he will not be going to JK2, but i thought it might be interesting to show what i have been onto since optimus...

sith-ii

Psynex
09-27-2002, 11:43 AM
Looking good. His chin seems a little too long. I'd post in the polycount forums if I didn't want to sign up for yet another account (grrrr). Other then that, he looks really good. Unfortunately for me I won't be buying unreal 2k3 because of some bad reviews by friends that played the demo.

Kururin
09-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Midgit Yoda
grrrr I wanted Megatron grrrr

Doesnt matter cause it would go to the garbage, since
everthing you do never works....

But its the same with me though lol :D

BTW great job of course; also your next project should be the one and only Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

- Cowabunga :thmbup1:

Brina1
09-29-2002, 04:30 PM
It's been a while since I've posted opn Lucasforums...

I just have this to say... Cell Shading on Optimus Prime is ok I suppose, I mean it's acceptable. But could we PLEASE have a NON Cell Shaded version? I mean, Cell Shading SUCKS!!! It's only useful in cartoonish stuff. And it all started with that one game for XBox and now everybody has to do it! It's not impressive and it makes the graphics look like ****! I've already boycotted Nintendo for perverting my favorite game series of all time (Zelda) with that crap! It's fine for cartoon oriented material like Optimus, but that level contest that's in France for that one Unreal Championship Game... That game does not look like it has any cartoon aspects at all asside from the cell shaded graphics and the "KABOOM!" that you see written in explosion smoke... GEEZE!!

On Optimus or any other transformer it's fine, as long as it's skinned to look like the original cartoon version, but could we please please PLEASE have a non cell shaded version?

BTW I LOVE transformers...

Brina's TF Fan Page (http://www.sabrinahosting.com:8080/brina1/)

Dark_One
09-29-2002, 05:00 PM
Just a little question I hope you'll do this but I guess not. Will you convert him to Q3 ??

If not I understand ... not buying UT2K3 either, don't like it (nothing new) :(

keo718
09-29-2002, 05:56 PM
Sithlord-II, I heard you mention making a modeling tutorial somewhere. Is this tutorial available now?

Kururin
09-30-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Brina1
I've already boycotted Nintendo for perverting my favorite game series of all time (Zelda) with that crap!

I'm boycotting also the New Zelda game is a discrace to the 3D Zelda games. ^
i don't if that's how u spell it

D.L.
09-30-2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by JDiesal

I'm boycotting also the New Zelda game is a discrace to the 3D Zelda games. ^
i don't if that's how u spell it

*rolls eyes*

Just because it's something different. Look at the original Zelda with the crappy graphics. Still a great game. Don't be so picky. It's going to rock.

Now back on topic.

So, from what I get, neither Megatron or Optimus are being converted to JK2 or is it just Megatron coming and Optimus being put to UT2k3.

KMan
09-30-2002, 06:48 PM
Actually, both models are going to be put out for UT2k3.
And as such, (as well as the slow downhill slide into flaming Zelda) it is going to be closed.