PDA

View Full Version : npc's are trying to shoot me through glass

Bell
09-19-2002, 02:20 AM
i stand at the window looking into the other room and they are all shooting at me; how do i get them to stop it already.
maybe place a clip or caulk brush or something over the window?
anyone?

Bell
09-19-2002, 02:46 AM
oh and my second question is how to get npc's that are killed to not disappear after they are dead. i need the bodys to stay there for a few more minutes. any ideas on how to do this?

JavaGuy
09-19-2002, 10:24 AM
You could write an ICARUS script and use SET_IGNOREENEMIES to have them just ignore you. Then turn it off when you're ready to have them notice you again.

Disclaimer: I'm pretty new to this and have had my head down in the ICARUS manual for about a week...and you know the old saying, when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. So there might be a simpler/easier solution than a script, but that's the first thing that came to my mind.

Joben
09-19-2002, 01:29 PM
The shooting through glass is an old problem that many games have...JK1 did too if memory serves. They seem to shoot when the have a clear line of sight to you. So their AI may not detect solid objects as blocking lines of sight but rather visibility.
Because of that i would think that an additional transparent brush wouldnt help but you never know.

idontlikegeorge
09-20-2002, 01:15 AM
yeah, would they see thru a caulk brush?

hehe java, that way would work too... hehe yeah i like that "old saying, when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail."

about the disappearing bodies thing, i dont know, but just how that works sounds like itd be a code thing; the only thing i can think of is try to find if npcs can carry items, cuz you know imps with keys cant be pushed off ledges and their bodies dont dissapear; but like said its pretty likely in code

Bell
09-20-2002, 07:02 PM
ya i guess i'll have to script around it. a cin starts as he is looking through the window and of coarse you can't hear him talk cuz of the big racket going on lol. i guess i'll have to put those bodies in myself too; maybe the player won't notice they are not in exactly the same position they fell when he killed em.
can i give the npc's on the other side of the window a team name and just affect the team with one line of script? that wouldn't be too bad.