PDA

View Full Version : Do I sound like I have a British accent?

Natty
09-22-2002, 07:52 AM
:( A guy at work said it to me last week and since then I've been really paronoid about it, thinking I do have a British accent, which is stupid coz I've never even been to England. You've all heard my voice though, do I sound British or was this guy dreaming?

Feral
09-22-2002, 07:56 AM
Tell him that an Englishman you know says you don't :D

NiKo
09-22-2002, 08:06 AM
i know what you mean, someone once told me I have a south african fench american accent....:rolleyes:

BTW, roflmao@ ferals sig

Dracyia
09-22-2002, 12:00 PM
ya... 'parently i sound american.. but im scottish/welsh so how that happened i dont no.... *kills those who think im american* there... problem sorted.

ps. if you sound english then they mean they think you sound posh. no offence *huggles* just english peeps sound posh.

Acrylic
09-22-2002, 12:35 PM
Well, all my friends say that when after I eat to much sugar or something...or when I get hyper...I sond Yugoslavian...since my dad is...they know what he sounds like...then they say I sound like him...

SamNMax
09-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Natty
You've all heard my voice though

I haven't, please tell me your ways.

Feral
09-22-2002, 02:30 PM
I'm English, and no-one would ever call me posh.
Oh, ****, wait, yeah they do...but that's jsut due to my references to literature and politics.

Natty At Work
09-22-2002, 11:16 PM
Feral scares me :( I wouldn't wanna be in a dark ally with him, he'd probably smack me one :(

NiKo
09-23-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by NiKo
i know what you mean, someone once told me I have a south african french american accent....:rolleyes:

....oh..wait, it's all coming back to me now......

Natty, you were the one who told me I have a south african french american accent...:p

Joshi
09-23-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Dracyia
ps. if you sound english then they mean they think you sound posh. no offence *huggles* just english peeps sound posh.

and that shows how crappy cheap american Tinsil Town people can't be bothered to get in real english actors for english parts, so they hire some american guy to play an english part and he thinks we sound posh, so he sounds posh and before you know it, the whole american nation thinks we sound posh. hugh grant or liz hurley aren't proper english people unles they "go down to tha pub for a right ole knees up and a pork pie" or something to that nature. we don't talk with posh accents, but we do talk with english accents and there is one hell of a diffrence. and natty, i've heard your voice, and your friend probably don't know what an english accent is. your australian (and at this point i would wish not to mention the croc hunter) and that is how you speak.

Dracyia
09-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Im Scottish and i think you sound posh... its not that you are its just you say words proper, whereas i drop off the end of of almost every word.

example:

'lo - hello
watcha dooin? - wot are you doing
Etc. . . many of me relations r english, but not posh sosorry, i duidnt mean 2 slag u off *hits herself* bad me.

Deadmeat_X
09-23-2002, 01:24 PM
I wish I had a British accent (specially the Monty Python British is cool). When I try to talk English, I always sound like...well...a Dutch idiot trying to speak English in a British way :D

Feral
09-23-2002, 02:43 PM
Yeah, Dracyia? I very rarely sound the "t" on words like "Bolton", or "right", or "rotten". I never say "g" on -"ing" words. Therefore, instead of living in Warrington, I'm livin in Warrin'on.

Frenchyd
09-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Hurrah for Canadians/Americans! Except southerners. and new yorkers.

SamNMax
09-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Whats wrong with New Yorkers? They're not all bad people.

Acrylic
09-23-2002, 08:16 PM
theyre all caught up in a conspiracy of LIIIIIIIIIES! LIES I TELL YA!

Natty
09-24-2002, 06:11 AM
Theres a post somewhere here which is probably about 3months old, its got a link to a voice recording of me

Dracyia
09-24-2002, 07:51 AM
well... i speak more slang thn ne1 in me skool so i guess i canni tok. So okay, u win. English rnt posh, just that they aint scottish and thus soond it sometimes.

LONG LIVE THE SCOTS AND WELSH!

Joshi
09-24-2002, 12:47 PM
i hardly pronounce words properly, maybe when i'm writing them i like to type it properly, but if i were to type how i normally speak, it would be something like this

"sup forumers. i''s me, neil. i jus thoughh i'd come by and say ello so howya doin? so ya see, this is ow i normally talk and am in no way posh. i also know a member of the royal family (distant relation, prince williams uncle) and he isn't posh either, he speaks just like me (whenever the pres aren't around. ) okay, so i'm not good friends with him and i've only said hello to him twice, but i work for him and see him almost everyday i work there. my point is, people here rarely speak posh. and dracyia, i am not english, i am indian, and therefor can safely say that i actually like scottish people a lot better than english.:D

Lynk Former
09-24-2002, 12:50 PM
yyyyyyyyyyyeaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh... well nuthin beats the stereo type australian accent...

g'day mate, wnna puta shrimp on the barby? strouth, i thought twaz a flippin wallabe...

bleah >.<

Dracyia
09-24-2002, 12:52 PM
doesnt everyone love the scots more than the english??????

Joshi
09-24-2002, 01:07 PM
the english dont

and link former, not all australians sound like that, the croc hunter maybe, but he's a git, natty doesn't sound like that and neither do a lot of other australians.

Brighteyes
09-24-2002, 01:58 PM
Hell no us English are gods to the chinese!
And it's probably the worlds foremost language.
You gotta love us we're just so damn...........loveable!

Joshi
09-24-2002, 02:16 PM
japanese is the worlds foremost language.

Feral
09-24-2002, 02:53 PM
No, Cantonese Chinese is the world's most spoken language.
And Prince William's uncle is barely distant...that would be Charles's brother, Andrew, the 4th in line to the throne, or the late Princess Diana's brother, if she has/had one.

Feral
09-24-2002, 02:57 PM
BRIGHTEYES! Good to see you again!
Add me on AIM (TheFeralChicken), ICQ (74203089), or MSN (feral_chicken@hotmail.com),

Natty At Work
09-24-2002, 11:11 PM
British people love Australia because of Neighbours, Home and Away, Kylie Minogue, Holly Vallance and ummmm lots of other reasons but I can't think of yet but basically any soap star turned singer- that includes Jason Donovan

America loves us because of the Crocodile Huner

Asia loves us because of Sunny Queensland

Joshi
09-25-2002, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by The Feral Chicken
And Prince William's uncle is barely distant...that would be Charles's brother, Andrew, the 4th in line to the throne, or the late Princess Diana's brother, if she has/had one.

that's right, princess diana's brother, charles spencer. he lives at althorpe house where diana is buried, and i work there during the open season when people can come and see the house, see some exhibitions about diana and see the lake with the island where she is buried (but you can't go on theisland, only see it from afar) and the temple set up in memory of her. all setup by charles spencer, the ninth earl of spencer.

Lynk Former
09-25-2002, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
the english dont

and link former, not all australians sound like that, the croc hunter maybe, but he's a git, natty doesn't sound like that and neither do a lot of other australians.

Firstly... my name is Lynk Former, not Link...

Secondly. I am australian. I LIVE in australia and I said that it was a stereotype accent...

got it?

@ Natty: Asia also loves us cause of Ian Thorpe :D

Joshi
09-25-2002, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by The Feral Chicken

i knew it was one of the two, only i thought it might be japanese because a lot of buisiness goes on there and so lots of people need to speak it, but yeah, i also thought it was chinese. now what was that you were saying Brighteyes? the english are god to the chinese? (and BTW, the english have no power in the world whatsoever, america has all of what england thinks it has and has power over a lot more as well, only a select few countries aren't owned or controlled by america because america doesn't think it needs them, but what of it now eh?)

Acrylic
09-25-2002, 05:00 PM
u know whats reall good..........cantonese chicken

*licks chicken*
*sniffs chicken*
*eats it*
:D

Lynk Former
09-27-2002, 06:22 AM
look out he's sniffing chickens!!

Joshi
09-29-2002, 02:55 PM
Those are worse than solvents those are!

Feral
09-29-2002, 04:24 PM
Hey! I am not worse than a solvent!
You know, it's comments like that that reallyumake me come unglued :D

Joshi
09-29-2002, 04:28 PM
**groan**:( sorry, but that was pretty bad.

Lynk Former
09-30-2002, 03:57 AM
O_O *walks away*

Brighteyes
09-30-2002, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi

i knew it was one of the two, only i thought it might be japanese because a lot of buisiness goes on there and so lots of people need to speak it, but yeah, i also thought it was chinese. now what was that you were saying Brighteyes? the english are god to the chinese?

I know the chinese love us probably dueing to the fact I've actually been there and experienced it first hand.