PDA

View Full Version : Anchorhead SAGA Map Available

monsoontide
10-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Hooray,

The forum is back up!

My Anchorhead map is ready for 'Final' testing.

See the Editing Central/Beta Testing forum for details.

Map includes support for ALL gamplay modes including SAGA!

Monsoontide.

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 11:30 AM
I still need more people to test this map!!!

Monsoontide

SunBurN
10-14-2002, 12:42 PM
I'll test it. Is it on your ftp site? Also, I'm sending you an email.

SunBurN

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 01:31 PM
Thanks SunBurn,

It's just doing a quick (15hr) comp at the moment and will be finsihed by about 3pm, so will make it available to the testers shortly afterwards.

For those curious - I have made some new screenshots available.
(Check the Beta Testing Forum for the link)

Monsoontide.

keo718
10-14-2002, 05:05 PM
I'll test it too.

Eldritch
10-14-2002, 05:19 PM
I'd love to test it... unfortunately, I'm a complete retard when it comes to implementing the Saga gametype into my copy of Outcast, so maybe could someone give me like a "Saga for Dummies" step by step thing? Please? I just get lost with the Saga thread that was stuck, it's just too much for me. PM me if you can help so I can beta test!
Thanks in advance,
-Anakin

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 06:10 PM
JEDI_Anakin_S

I've included the necessary support in my PK3 file - intheory you should just be able to but the PK3 in the base folder and have SAGA mode appear in your Create Server menu, so there's no need to do anything other than that!!!
Makes life a bit simpler.

Monsoontide

Eldritch
10-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Wow! Talk about your idiot-proof plans... so does that mean that any and all *FUTURE* Saga maps will work as well without me doing a thing?

keo718
10-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Current Testers:
mariners2001
Kengo
Scotchy
Sunburn
JEDI_Anakin_S
Did you forget me?

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 06:30 PM
Keo718 & Jedi_Anakin_S,

I need an e-mail address, so I can send you the details on where to download the file and some last minute info.

Thanks

Email me at monsoontide@earthlink.net

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 07:19 PM
Ah ha!

Kengo!

I also need your email as well!

Monsoontide

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 08:52 PM
OK thankyou everyone the testing positions are full.
Testers are

Mariners2001
Kengo
Scotchy
Keo718
SunBurn
Jedi_Anakin_S

Thanks
Monsoontide

Kengo
10-14-2002, 09:16 PM
Sorry it took so long, misunderstanding on my part, sent my email address at last :)

Eldritch
10-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Just tried it and in a word - awesome. The stage size is staggering. I'm emailed you about the problem with implementing Saga though, monsoontide.

-Anakin

monsoontide
10-14-2002, 09:57 PM
I have a solution but need to check a couple of things in my PK3 to see what initial problem is.

monsoontide.

SiThLoRd><1000
10-14-2002, 11:41 PM
I'll test and leave you some feed...

I'll just email you about it.

SunBurN
10-15-2002, 09:37 AM
That map rocks! IMO, that's one of the best star wars maps ever made. This is on a calibur with maps made by ravensoft! GReat job!

Monsoontide, I sent you an email about the few things that needed tweaking. Just to let everyone know, my fps never dropped below the 30's. and a lot of the time was up in the 60's!!! Now that could be due to my machine:

AmD 2000 1.67ghz
768mb DDR Ram
Geforce 3 Ti 200 128mb DDR

Anyway, this is a must have map! Be ready to grab it the minute it's released!

SunBurN

monsoontide
10-15-2002, 12:21 PM
Good Morning All,

Just To Reiterate, All testing positions are full.
The first 6 people were.

Mariners2001
Kengo
Scotchy
Keo718
SunBurn
Jedi_Anakin_S

Thanks to everyone for your interest.
Release date is NOV 1st

Monsoontide

Kengo
10-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by SunBurN
this is a must have map! Be ready to grab it the minute it's released!

SunBurN

Just sent my report, I totally agree with SunBurN, this has gotta be the best MP map I've played bar none :)

monsoontide
10-15-2002, 11:02 PM
Anyone know how to start Bot_Routing mode not in FFA?

i.e. every time I start Bot_Routing mode it's in FFA.

I want to route for a different game mode.

Any ideas?

(I've already tried tacking on +g_gametype 1 to my startup file but to no avail and when switching modes in-game it then can't find the map!)

Monsoontide

SunBurN
10-15-2002, 11:41 PM
I sent you the feed back report but I didn't mention bot routing because I figured you probably already knew about it. One more thing, I don't know if you had one in there (couldn't find one) but a few sniper rifles would be perfect for that map.

Also, just curious, but I take it you meant for spectator mode to be "stuck" up top right? I would've like to explore the map a bit further in spectator mode. Ok that's it.

SunBurN

Lord_Plo_Koon
10-16-2002, 09:41 PM
What is your mission thing in the saga game type for this map?

monsoontide
10-16-2002, 10:41 PM
I'm guessing by that you mean the overall objective for each team?

RED (Imperial): Must sieze the illegal contraband, obtain the illegal cargo, activate the tractor beam and diable the hyperdrive on the Outrider to stop the smugglers from escaping.

BLUE (Smugglers): Must obtain the illegal cargo, obtain the flight co-ordinates, deactivate the tractor-beam generator and get a replacement part for the Outriders hyperdrive to make their escape.

keo718
10-16-2002, 11:33 PM
Monsoon, how do you view saga objectives ingame?

monsoontide
10-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Do Not.

Actually there is no current way to view objectives in game but the lads on the SAGA coding team are aware of the problem and are looking at various ways to implement a system that will allow the player to see what the objectives are.
It's a pity RAVEN didn't see fit/or have the time to fully implement this gamemode.

So for now you'll just have to memorize the README file inside the PK3.

Monsoontide

Eldritch
10-17-2002, 09:06 AM
Or print out the pertinent information, like I did. :D

And Sunburn, there's a sniper rifle in the stage. It's on the tallest tower... when you're on the platform that goes around it, there's a room above it you have to jump to. Inside that room is the sniper rifle.

monsoontide
10-17-2002, 11:44 AM
Testers...

There will be an update to the main file tonight featuring several tweaks and fixes, another update to the bot routing and also I've taken into account your current feedback (As much as possible so far - I'm still looking into ways to improve framerate).

I've made the SAGA objectives more obvious now - There are special objects for each objective that are coloured BLUE and RED and there is also a BLUE or RED light by each.
I'm still working on trying to find a way that when you activate the ysalimiri objective that you actually pick up the damn thing - so far I've tried several different methods to no avail!

There will be an UPDATE README listing the major changes.

Please keep as much feedback coming as possible - I value your imput immensely and if you guys can somehow arrange a suitable time to get together, SunBurn indicates he is able and willing to host a match.

Eldritch
10-17-2002, 11:50 AM
So when we get the updated version, I should just switch out the .pk3 file? Do I have to mess with it at all (like last time)? And i'd love to get into a match with the other testers... though i'm unable to connect to the Zone due to my current firewall settings (which i'm working on), if Sunburn gives me the IP address I can just join whenever the match is.

-Anakin

monsoontide
10-17-2002, 12:38 PM
I will try to make certain everything is included in the PK3.
No-one wants to have to mess with the damn things!

Just swap out the old one with the new one!

Monsoontide

Eldritch
10-17-2002, 12:53 PM
::Monty Burns voice:: Excellent... :D

Eldritch
10-17-2002, 02:28 PM
By the way, are any of you other testers having problems with the objectives? All of them but one crashed the game each time they were completed.

monsoontide
10-17-2002, 02:45 PM
Yes, I've had that problem too!

The only solution I've found so far is to add the base.pk3 file that I put on the server to your JK2/base/ folder (where you put the Anchorhead folder).

Let me know if this does or doesn't work so I can get this problem fixed.

Thx.
Monsoontide

Lord_Plo_Koon
10-17-2002, 09:44 PM
I love the saga thing!! I hope everything works out for this level.

Eldritch
10-17-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by monsoontide
Yes, I've had that problem too!

The only solution I've found so far is to add the base.pk3 file that I put on the server to your JK2/base/ folder (where you put the Anchorhead folder).

Let me know if this does or doesn't work so I can get this problem fixed.

Thx.
Monsoontide

It didn't work for me. It still froze when I completed any objectives (except the red "Activate the Tractor beam" one).

-Anakin

Wes Marrakesh
10-17-2002, 10:31 PM
Is it too late?

send it here, please :D (wesmarrakesh@earthlink.net)

monsoontide
10-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Sorry Wes... NOV 1st for you :)

As far Your problem JEDI_Anakin_S, that's something I'll be looking at tonight with the update! It HAS to work from my PK3 alone or it's not worth the hassle!

Monsoontide

mariners2001
10-17-2002, 10:50 PM
moonsoon, i'll get that questionaire thingy back to you soon. want to test it up some more before I send it to you. i am, however, experiencing a dramatic error in the Saga mode that crashes my game every time i complete an objective...:mad: so that's probably not a good thing. i'll get back to you later. love the map though!

monsoontide
10-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Hi All,

Yup everyone 'cept me seems to get that crash!

Which is why I have some BAD NEWS.

The update I had planned to release tonight will have to wait til I get this problem sorted out.

(Meanwhile this is a great opportunity to send more more feedback to incorporate!!!)

Really need to beat this problem if SAGA mode is going to be viable.

Am just in the process of widening the platform with the railings where the skyhopper is located!

Monsoontide

Leslie Judge
10-18-2002, 10:40 AM
I made a very short test for SAGA mode yet, and I didn't encouter that game crash problem on completing an objective.

Eldritch
10-18-2002, 10:50 AM
Monsoontide,
There's probably a small difference in something between the one objective that works (red, activate tractor beam) and the rest that don't... perhaps look over the one that works and see if it has something the others are missing?

-Anakin

monsoontide
10-18-2002, 12:10 PM
That's what I figured! Just Investigating that!

Kengo
10-18-2002, 12:16 PM
I haven't had any problems with the SAGA objectives myself either, but I got the base thing before I played it at al. I'll keep testing the SAGA stuff see if I do get any probs...

Eldritch
10-18-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Kengo
I haven't had any problems with the SAGA objectives myself either, but I got the base thing before I played it at al. I'll keep testing the SAGA stuff see if I do get any probs...

I fixed the jkmpinfo file first so that I could play in Saga mode, and it started freezing so I then got the base file but it didn't seem to help.
So Kengo, when you complete any of the Saga objectives it doesn't crash you?

Kengo
10-18-2002, 12:38 PM
I haven't had that, although there were one or two objectives I didn't find, I'll go through the lot and see :)

monsoontide
10-18-2002, 12:48 PM
I'm also just testing a very simple and primitive way of lisitng the objectives whenever you spawn - until there is a SAGA mod update.

Kengo
10-18-2002, 12:56 PM
I'm also just testing a very simple and primitive way of lisitng the objectives whenever you spawn - until there is a SAGA mod update.

Great idea, would make life a lot easier for people who've just started playing the map :)

monsoontide
10-18-2002, 01:27 PM
AH HA!

Located the problem with the objectives crashing the game.
:p (Let's just put it down to my totally coroded coding skills - when you triggered the objectives, the objectives triggered themselves again, causing the crash).

:sweating:

Also the objective message works (But it will show up in all team modes unfortunately) and it only lasts a moment - but at least there is something now!

Monsoontide

Eldritch
10-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Most excellent! When can I expect the new beta version? Hopefully in about 15 hours or so, eh? Or maybe sooner?

-Anakin

monsoontide
10-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Yup!

Just a few more tweaks to make then in about 15 hours or so I should be able to upload the UPDATE!

Monsoontide

Lord_Plo_Koon
10-19-2002, 07:55 PM
How soon can we expect this map to be downloadable to the public?

monsoontide
10-19-2002, 11:47 PM
As I think I mentioned earlier in the thread - NOV 1st for public release.

TESTERS:

I'm uploading the UPDATE now!
Will post a further message when it's ready for download!

Monsoontide

Eldritch
10-19-2002, 11:51 PM

TESTERS:

I'm uploading the UPDATE now!
Will post a further message when it's ready for download!

Monsoontide

Dah! And me so far from my computer... i'll download the new version tomorrow morning. Very excited about getting Saga to work. Saga is good news considering that WLS has dropped the co-op mode - hopefully this will become widespread and fill in the hole left by the abandoning of a Co-op MP stage.

-Anakin

Gandel
10-21-2002, 10:30 AM
monsoontide , check PM's

monsoontide
10-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Gandel, did you PM me? There's currently nothing there... will check again in a bit.

Gandel
10-21-2002, 03:40 PM
re-sent pm :p hoping it goes through this time

Wudan
10-21-2002, 03:58 PM

Located the problem with the objectives crashing the game.
:p (Let's just put it down to my totally coroded coding skills - when you triggered the objectives, the objectives triggered themselves again, causing the crash).

Um ... ok - is there a particular line of code I need to watch out for? I've also included the SAGA code into my mod, and I haven't got crashes yet (but I am far from any Beta-Testing stage), except for an error message when I exit, which might or might not be related to the other code modifications I have made.

Also the objective message works (But it will show up in all team modes unfortunately) and it only lasts a moment - but at least there is something now!

I thought the Objective Message was set in the .saga file - how could it affect other modes of play? I better post this to the saga thread, but why don't we modify the available gametypes to Just Saga, and make it it's own Mod? I don't think it's wise to put any additional .qvm's in the Base folder - it can only cause problems, methinks.

monsoontide
10-21-2002, 05:51 PM
WUDAN - Not to worry, as far as the crashes went, I just had the objectives triggering themselves when they were activated (Instead of something else e.g. explosion). It caused the crash.

As for the objective list, I'm refering to the fact that there is no list of objectives to complete/have been completed. I know this is being worked on for the SAGA MOD (See CODING FORUM). I simply made a Target_Print with a quick list of objectives in it to remind the players when they start.

NOTE: It is imperative that any player using your map over the internet has the EXACT SAME ui/jk2mp/gameinfo.txt file as each other or it WON'T WORK!
I am going to release notes about this with my map.

Monsoontide.

Wudan
10-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Oh - so it was a mapping problem?

Such as - you had an action that targetted the info_saga_objective (thus, the action, when fired, completes the objective?), and then when the objective was completed, the objective was triggering the objective again?

I'm also working on a Saga Modification, and I'm not to your stage of developement, but I'm trying to keep my eyes open about everything.

monsoontide
10-30-2002, 03:13 AM
Well, the FINAL TESTING reports are in and there's only a few minor tweaks to be done. FINAL COMP begins tomorrow night while I'm at work and all going well, the map is set to meet it's NOV 1st release date! :D

Thanks to all who have contributed so far.

Monsoontide.

ASk
10-30-2002, 06:32 AM
I see that SAGA finally got a good map
/me gets monsoontide a cold beer

I will definitely get the map. Looks interesting and of course the .saga file will be analyzed line by line :)

Wudan
10-30-2002, 01:02 PM
I was just wondering MonsoonTide, if you would help me write a tutorial on making a saga map, and possibly checking out my Mod (which isn't named, and consists of only me), which has saga in it (thanks to ASk's changes, but I have added a few more ... and plan to add more) and releasing your map with my modifications?

Basically, I have weather effects (courtesy of q3f and RR2DO2), func_door_rotates, and saga - I plan to extend UI to show objectives and some bug fixes, but it should be pretty good.

Lemme know whatchoo think - or .. have you already released the map?

Omikron
11-01-2002, 06:01 AM
Nov 1st today!
I can't wait for this!

monsoontide
11-01-2002, 06:09 AM
LATE NOVEMBER 1st!!!!!!!!;)

(It's still compiling!!!)