PDA

View Full Version : Hey...

NiKo
10-16-2002, 11:07 AM
....just wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive and breathing...
in case you were wondering...

Joshi
10-16-2002, 01:43 PM
thanx Niko, come by more often eh?

and death isn't the best option to dwell on at the moment.

NiKo
10-16-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi

and death isn't the best option to dwell on at the moment.

heh, yeah, sorry....i read that topic kinda after i posted this one

Al-back from the BigWhoop
10-16-2002, 04:58 PM
y do we draw stars in the sky with five points? they are rather dots, we should draw just plain dots.

Joshi
10-16-2002, 05:05 PM
actually, i draw them with eight points because i like to be different.

and yes, i guess this needed a change of topic considering 'hi, niko's still here in case you were wandering' wasn't really a big conversation starter.

10-17-2002, 12:20 AM
oh, oh, i know a swell convo starter:

"y do we draw stars in the sky with five points? they are rather dots, we should draw just plain dots."

Drunken_Sailor
10-17-2002, 01:57 PM
I think the answer here is "poetic license!"

Actually, I think the "pointed star" design is meant to represent the sparkling look a star will have during time of air turbulance. Granted, it's not accurate, but then again, a child's room with just dots on the ceiling wouldn't look nearly as cutesy.

Joshi
10-17-2002, 02:49 PM
dots are used when talking about contellations, but points are used to identify what this thing actually it, a white dot on a black backround could be anything, they could be firefly's, fireflies that got stuck in some big... blueish... black... thing.

10-17-2002, 03:14 PM
good point from both of you. but a more accurated form to show sparkling would b asterisks (sp?) " * * * ** * *"

storken
10-17-2002, 04:18 PM
"Why do we draw hearts like we do? And why does it symbolize love?"

Kj°len
10-17-2002, 05:34 PM
maybe because hearts have that crevice in it... and our heart beat when we're in a situation like that... BTW...

YOU PEOPLE FORGOT!

*sits in the corner and cries*

Tyrion
10-17-2002, 07:15 PM
dots are used when talking about contellations, but points are used to identify what this thing actually it, a white dot on a black backround could be anything, they could be firefly's, fireflies that got stuck in some big... blueish... black... thing.

Watching too much Lion King,are we hmmm?

Natty At Work
10-17-2002, 08:34 PM
our real hearts dont have that pointy thing at the bottom though.

And NiKo I'm glad your still alive *smoochies*

Drunken_Sailor
10-18-2002, 06:19 AM
I think the five pointed star comes from ancent Egypt. They used it for some religous reason. I read this in a National Geographic somewhere.

And in star charts and software, different sized dots indicate the different magnitudes. Overlapping dots indicate doubles, etc.

Originally posted by Al-back from the Big Whoop
y do we draw stars in the sky with five points? they are rather dots, we should draw just plain dots.

So I've been digging around since I first read your question and have come up with a little info:

http://www.earthsky.org/2001/es010127.html

talks about where and guesses why the five-pointed star is used with the crescent moon symbol in several cultures, mostly Middle Eastern.

Another site mentioned the eight-pointed star was on Solomon's shield, and the 6-pointed star as the Star of David, so maybe some of our Jewish friends can enlighten us on that historical point.

This next one (in keeping with the season) is a Witch/Wiccan site and gives a history of the pentagram and five-pointed star symbol from that standpoint (you have been warned ... !):

http://www.witchvox.com/basics/pentacle.html

It says the "pentacle" (five-pointed star with crossed lines in the middle showing) is the symbol of witchcraft. I did not know it was called a pentacle, or that it symbolized witchcraft.

This link leads to a discussion thread on this very point:

http://www.triplemoon.com/pathways/messages/15457.html

A very interesting article on the Jewish News site:

http://www.jewishaz.com/jewishnews/000310/why.shtml

Lots of different star symbols described here, including 6, 7, 8, and even 9-pointed ones:

http://www.byzant.com/symbols/stars.asp

And, I apologize: after all that and more reading, I still don't know the answer ... but the search is fascinating.

Moving on:

In grade school, they always draw stars with the five points and crossed lines. However, I think the witchcraft pentacle is the regular star upside down with one point on the bottom and two on the top.

Ok, before I'm done, I would like to correct an error that I made:

This is actually a major point of contention among Wiccans and other new age quacks. The upside down star is actually called a pentagram, and with point up is a pentacle. They are both usually encircled to represent a power circle, a symbol of protection, and containment. But pay no mind, because both of these are borrowed from older, more arcane religions. I believe the 5 points are meant to represent the 4 elements, and an extra one - either spirit, or the soul, I can't remember. To the modern jokers, the pentacle is a symbol of white magic, and goodness, and the pentagram represents evil and the devil. But again, pay no mind to these. So, in my best reckoning, the 5 pointed star is just a symbol so old, that it's original meaning has probably been lost to the ages, and only shadows of memory remain to explain. In other words, somewhere in all the different meanings there is probably a grain of the original truth, or purpose, but it has evolved into many different forms, to suit those who now use it, and who came after.

jannar85
10-18-2002, 06:21 AM
Good to see you're still here...
Welcome back, kinda:p

Tall Guy
10-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NiKo
....just wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive and breathing...
in case you were wondering... hey man, aint heard from you in a while! hows it goin? get over to the GF Forums...NOW! :D

Joshi
10-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Kj°len
YOU PEOPLE FORGOT!

*sits in the corner and cries*

whoops, um happy birthday! sorry for the lateness.

Deadmeat_X
10-19-2002, 11:05 AM
Is it cause I have slept enough, cause I missed a week of escapemi, or cause you're just confusing? I'm so lost. Maybe next time I should start with the hottest topic, then work my way down instead of up...

brief
10-21-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by Al-back from the BigWhoop

It's quite simple, really...

Stars appare small to us, therefore it is typically difficult to draw a small, white, dot... because people don't usually have white ink.

In drawing, the points are added to the stars to emphasize the effect of the stars being shiney. For the same reason, when we draw the sun, we don't draw just a big, yellow circle. We add flares to the sun, which almost resemble a lion's mane.

Why five points? Well, as stated, it can be more than five points. But usually no less than five. Actually, it would be difficult to illustrate athe shining effects of a star with anything less than five points. What happens when you connect three points? You get a triangle. Doesn't look like a star. With four, you get just an X or a rectangle. And since people are lazy by nature, they typically will use the least amount of points required to make it look like something they want, ergo, five points.

Joshi
10-21-2002, 12:26 PM
good answer.

also, the six point star is easy to draw is it is only two triangles, but it is mainly associated with the start of david and such. the five point star is associated with the more pagen traditions which have come down to us as the basic drawing of a star. i personally draw a star with eight points as it is just my style.

Drunken_Sailor
10-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Interesting stuff. However, in art class (grammar school and high) they have drawing paper of all colors including black and dark blue and consequently they have ink of all colors too, including white. Never thought to draw any stars though. LOL!

brief
10-21-2002, 08:05 PM
Anthropologically speaking, most ancient people do not have easy access to white paint...

Remember, we're talking about the origins of such drawings, so what you see in modern life need not apply. We must consider the resources available to the people who first started such endeavors, not what we have now.

Joshi
10-22-2002, 02:11 PM
you must also remember that although the ancient egyptians weren't the first to come up with the pointy star system, just the five point star system. neanderthal man did cave drawing with stars ni it using white chalk on pretty dark cave walls. so why not just dot, well, these would have to actually be carved into the rock using the chalk otherwise it would just wash off, and it's very hard to carve a simple dot into stone, much harder than simply dragging the chalk across the wall which is why they used more lines than dots and therfore had to make it pointy to give the impression of a star.

also, the native americans used to navigate using the moon and the stars and differerent sized stars were drawn on paper as most of there navigations took place using the north star, which is of course much bigger than the rest. a simpl dot couldn't portray this, so they used points, often about eight points though, instead of five, with the top and bottom point being much longer than the horizontal or diagonal ones.

Drunken_Sailor
10-23-2002, 04:07 AM
Actually, I find it hard to believe that the native Americans were drawing star charts on paper...and also that they were primarily using the North Star due to its size. There are several stars that are MUCH brighter than Polaris. However, I can imagine that it was used for much the same reason we use it as a point of reference--it's relatively stationary in the sky, so there's no calculations to work out in order to figure direction.

Joshi
10-23-2002, 10:36 AM
okay, first of all, i didn't say anything about paper (although after the english and spanish came along, they could have easily got hold of the stuff), but they grenrally used the wall or oral methods. also, when i said they drew the north star bigger, it wasn't because it was the biggest, but at the time (we have to think about time here, this was a good 200 years ago, many stars have come and gone since then) it was teh brightest. plus, they may not have been using the north star as that is not what they were calling it, but it was found in the north (and so could be used to distinguish wher north was) and was very bright. they could also tell the time with the stars and the moon if they wanted to at night.

Joshi
10-23-2002, 02:41 PM
oh, and also

PENTACLE / PENTAGRAM: 1) traditional symbol of the five pointed star, used as protection or for invoking or banishing magickal forces and entities. Symbolic of humankind made perfect.

2) The basic 5 point star is worn by Wiccans or Witches with one point up, and enclosed by a Circle; The symbol represents the Wicca Religion: the 5 senses; the Elements; and the human body; and a protective symbol known from the times of Babylon.

3) Symbol of power and/or protection when hung over doors and windows. Represents the Element - Earth. A tool for summoning the Goddess.

4) PENTACLE: is the article of jewelry or altar piece, etc.

5) PENTAGRAM: is the drawing. Also, penagram, pentangle. 'Pente' meaning 5, and gram/me meaning line; Greek.

6) Pentagram is a material object charged with psychic power and used for concentrating psychic power;

7) symbol of a man/woman standing with spread legs and outstretched arms; a miniature symbol of the Universe, the points representing the elements.

8) In Latin PENTACULUM. The points & center can stand for: Birth, initiation, love, repose, death & transformation.
Also, some consider it to symbolize Sex, self, passion, pride, power & timelessness.
Further, some say it represents Beginning, adolescence, adulthood, elderly, ending & power to move, change, and transform.

Another meaning, albeit arguable: Earth, Air, Fire, Water & Spirit.

NOTE: the early Christians often wore pentacles, for to them it represented the 5 wounds of Christ on the cross AND the parts of the human body; that is: head, arms, & legs. But the symbol was first used by the hebrews as a traditional symbol used as protection or for invoking or banishing magickal forces and entities. Symbolic of humankind made perfect.

hope that helps.:D

Drunken_Sailor
10-24-2002, 04:17 AM
Actually, you did mention paper. In fact :

Also, the native Americans used to navigate using the Moon and the stars and differerent sized stars were drawn on paper as most of their navigations took place using the North Star, which is of course much bigger than the rest.

And I have to question your statement:

it wasn't because it was the biggest, but at the time (we have to think about time here, this was a good 200 years ago, many stars have come and gone since then) it was the brightest.

The North Star (Polaris) wasn't any brighter 200 years ago, or 2000 years ago, than it is now. Anyway it isn't particularly bright (about 1.9 magnitude).

Polaris has been a pretty steady magnitude since before written history, at least. And if so many stars have come and gone in the past 200 years, I think there would be some note somewhere about all these mysteriously appearing and disappearing stars. I'm wondering what you're using for sources (I'm not trying to be snide, I'm just curious). In all my reading, I haven't heard anything like this. In fact, a star appearing in the sky is quite a notable event, often remarked throughout the world in a variety of written accounts, and portrayed in art, drawing, etc.

Actually, on a star chart, a star with a line through it indicates a double star, while overlapping dots indicate a variable star, with the smaller dot being the star's minimum magnitude, and the larger dot the star's maximum magnitude.

Deadmeat_X
10-24-2002, 04:29 AM
You forgot to mention the copyright you violated Neil :D

Joshi
10-24-2002, 01:05 PM
ahem... uhh, copywirght, what are you talking about, that all came from the top of my head that did.:D

and DS, what i meant about the stars comeing and going was that 200 years ago, we did not have the technology to see as many stars as we can now. also, it is a fact that stars do burn out (as will our sun eventually) and if they burnt out, oh lets say, 2 billion years ago and is about two billion light years away from us, then it would dissapear sometime in the past 2 or 3 centuries.

fine, so the north star wasn't the brightest, but it was brighter than the majority of the stars out there and so they had to draw them in different sizes. plus, the native americans were primarily using the north star along with it's surrounding stars for navigation and so to distinguish between the other stars, they would make the north star bigger, i.e. larger points and such.

finally, yes, i see now i did say paper, but as i said before, what is so unbeleivable about the native americans haveing some sort of parchment or paper to write on, the english asnd spanish could have given it to them and they could have made their own.

think about it.

Guybrush122
10-24-2002, 05:51 PM
yeah! what natty said! *smoochies*

SuicidalXWing
10-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Wow, you people get off topic even faster than those of Aresen.

Kuuki
10-24-2002, 06:25 PM
*lurk* *lurk* *lurk*

:D

SuicidalXWing
10-24-2002, 06:29 PM
Hmm, these people should be easier to conquer than I thought, LeChuck must have been quite a weakling.

Joshi
10-26-2002, 01:18 PM
yes, because there was certainly a topic there to begin with.
oh, and btw, i'vebeen over to RSN to look at it... you may as well have invaded yourselves, the amount of spamming you do. i thought we were bad, but you push new bounderies. and you think we'll be easy to conquere, you'll try for a day or so and then give up because you guys are lazy. i mean, come on, think about it.

Kj°len
10-26-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by SuicidalXWing
LeChuck must have been quite a weakling.

Accually, yes. :D
Of course they had to make the game a challege so they made the main character Guybrush, even more of a weakling. :xp:

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 04:34 PM
I find Guybrush's lack of intelligence quite amusing.

Joshi
10-27-2002, 04:56 PM
as do the rest of us. that's why we play the game.

Rottingham: every enemy i've met i've anniahelated(sp?)
Guybrush: oh yeah... well... you fight like a cow.

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:05 PM
LeChuck and his minions were high above Guybrush intellectually, but they were extremely gullible.

Joshi
10-27-2002, 05:09 PM
can you honestly tell me that you'd pass up a chance at seeing some fine leather jackets?

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:11 PM
...um, yeah.

Joshi
10-27-2002, 05:17 PM
and come on, who doesn't keep their wedding invitations in a spritzer bottle, i mean that's just common sense!

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:21 PM
*smirks*

I believe insanity has already been unleashed here once before.

Joshi
10-27-2002, 05:27 PM
hang on a second. you mean you didn't leave you sanity at the door. K-Jo!!! where's that damn sanity collector when we need him.

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:31 PM
I was referring to your sanity. You seemed more sane earlier, but something tells me otherwise now.

Joshi
10-27-2002, 05:35 PM
well, sanity has this annoying habit of creeping up on me at the worst times.

but really, i can be serious if i want to, but it seems that i've been too serious lately for some reason (i think it's all this stuff in Bali and Iraq not to mention i've been really down lately)

i'm mainly serious when i have to be. but this pathetic attempt at a one man invasion really cheered me up.:D

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:39 PM
I see you've already forgotten my minions.

*points to the path of destruction being created by the continuing influx of soldiers and monsters.*

*sits down in a lawn chair and watches the invasion while he drinks a bottle of Smirnoff Ice*

Joshi
10-27-2002, 05:42 PM
oh, i'm pretty sure our elephants can handle them.

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

SuicidalXWing
10-27-2002, 05:44 PM
You do realize that those :elephant:s are imaginary, and thus can't hurt my legions, don't you?

Kj°len
10-27-2002, 05:45 PM
I'm here I'm here!

*scoops up random tidbits of sanity on the ground and puts them in the bag*

Tee hee hee

By the way, anyone like my avatar? It's one that will never fail or be broken. Even if it is broken, the purpsoe of the avatar wills till remain! Muahahahahahahahahahaha!

10-29-2002, 02:57 PM
oh, so there they r. ive been looking for those imaginary pink elefants for hours now.
*takes the elephants and puts them on pocket, leaving the path clear for that minion*
thx, cyaround

btw-
lol @ k-jo and his never failing avatar ;)

Kj°len
10-29-2002, 05:32 PM
lol @ k-jo and his never failing avatar ;)

Haha, it's accually working!
Even if the link ever is broken, which it currently isnt as you think, it will still serve it's purpose. :D Look closely at it, highlight it. You'll soon understand.

SuicidalXWing
10-29-2002, 06:20 PM
*watches the place come down around him as his minions continue. He continues drinking and pulls out a Danger Girl comic to read.*

Fly my pretties!

10-29-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Kj°len

Haha, it's accually working!
Even if the link ever is broken, which it currently isnt as you think, it will still serve it's purpose.

yeah, i knew it, i was congratulating you for your joke. "pretending the avatar was failing" i got it...

for patronizing me, i ll take away all your pink elephants and that bridge between u and the minion

there, that ought teach him!

SuicidalXWing
10-29-2002, 10:33 PM
minions, plural. And they can fly anyways, that's why I said Fly my pretties, it isn't just from Wizard of Oz.

Kj°len
10-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Bah! All your minions are in you head. :p

SuicidalXWing
10-29-2002, 10:48 PM
No, that was the :elephant:s.

Joshi
10-30-2002, 01:27 PM
those minions are about as real as your manhood! (interperet that however you feel)

SuicidalXWing
10-30-2002, 02:51 PM
So, they're so real, its unbelievable.

Joshi
10-31-2002, 12:04 PM
actually i meant so made up, it's embarrassingly all in your head.

SuicidalXWing
11-03-2002, 11:35 PM
You're just mad because the minions don't make destructive advances within your mind.

Kj°len
11-04-2002, 05:26 PM
*Unleashed my favorite minions*

http://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage0611082.gifhttp://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage0423549.gifhttp://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage036837.gifhttp://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage0318987.gifhttp://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage0354180.gif

*And some lesser but still powerful ones*
http://web.ecomplanet.com/M6072/ServerContent/MyCustomImages/M6072CustomImage0899077.gif

Haha, beat me now!

Anyone thing this thread should be closed BTW?

11-04-2002, 06:00 PM
NO, DEFINITLY NOT!!!

there are 2 things im totally against of: 1st is closing toics, and 2nd is having sex while thinking about soccer to make it last longer.
im totally against!

Joshi
11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
i agree with AL (especially about his second point, but we won't delve into that)

these are the kind of wonderful topics that we can look back on in years to come as escapemi forum memories. if we closed it, we wouldn't be able to bump it back up then would we?

and k-jo, putting all the pics together like that is kinda funny. all of the top guy's (we'll call them the generals) each have a different stride and walking pace, but all of teh botom guys (soldiers) are actually marching together. bet you weren't expecting that (or maybe you were, i don't know)

Deadmeat_X
11-07-2002, 11:19 AM
NO, DEFINITLY NOT!!!

... and 2nd is having sex while thinking about soccer to make it last longer.
im totally against!

:D You sick minded you!

BTW It's even worse when you're thinking about a boring sport like darts. Tells a lot about your life if you're getting horny on fat sweating men throwing sharp objects for fun, I think....

BTSW This topic is fun, so no point closing it.

11-07-2002, 04:21 PM
1- no point in closing any topics unless it is from a spammer

2- i dont get horny, thats the whole idea: u dont get too horny, so sex lasts longer

SuicidalXWing
11-07-2002, 11:41 PM
typically when I think of darts, I think of a hot drunk chick throwing them, not a sweaty, balding, fat man. You people make me sick, darts is a good way to get horny, when ya picture the chick. Of course if you're thinking about something other than the girl in order to make the sex last longer, you're hurting the girl that way (whether she knows it or not) and it means you're poor in bed. In other words, your will isn't strong.

Deadmeat_X
11-08-2002, 03:48 PM
Think about school during sex and it will last for hours! :D

Kj°len
11-08-2002, 06:38 PM
and k-jo, putting all the pics together like that is kinda funny. all of the top guy's (we'll call them the generals) each have a different stride and walking pace, but all of teh botom guys (soldiers) are actually marching together. bet you weren't expecting that (or maybe you were, i don't know)

Like star wars, the generals are all different, but the soldiers are all the same :D But no, each of the generals are deiiferet, and the soldiers are all one picure.

mercatfat
11-10-2002, 02:09 AM
If I thought about school during sex, all I could think about is the hot teachers I've had, and that'd be just plain terrible.

The manic-depressive-goth X-wing is right. If you think about anything other than the girl, you suck.

SuicidalXWing
11-10-2002, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure, but I think there was a mixture of insults and compliments in that remark. Ah, its too early to rack my brain.

Joshi
11-10-2002, 03:45 PM
in my opinion, if your not thinking about the girl (or boy, lets not forget the girls in this forum, be they reading this or not, and of course some may be homosexuals, we don't know) then is there really any point. call me old fasioned, but isn't it all about your partner and no one else.

SuicidalXWing
11-10-2002, 04:44 PM
I fully agree with that statement. Thinking about anything other than the girl means you gotta get your priorities straight.