PDA

View Full Version : Hogwarts WIP

Pages : [1] 2

Eldritch
10-19-2002, 05:10 PM
Just started this today... still finding textures and playing around, but this is just a start.

http://www.msnusers.com/hogwartsWIP/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

I'm gonna need lots of help with textures... i'm no good at making them, so if anyone wants to help that would be VERY much appreciated.

Quotation
10-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Looks promising. How did you create the arches?

Eldritch
10-19-2002, 05:40 PM
They're just bevels that I played around with and put caps on.

This map will eventually be huge, and there doesn't seem to be any existing textures that I can use - they just don't go with it. I have some reference pics but i'm gonna need more - a lot more.

-Anakin

Quotation
10-19-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks. I'm working on a similar concept with the map I'm working on..

I'll get you a few reference pictures...

Google Image Search: Handy (http://images.google.co.nz/images?q=Hogwarts&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&start=0&sa=N)

Eldritch
10-19-2002, 06:37 PM
Thanks... i've already robbed Google blind of pics, LOL.

ZBomber
10-19-2002, 07:04 PM
I gave him the idea! :D

I'll start looking for pics, and I'll TRY to get DVD pictures.

__CKY__
10-19-2002, 11:42 PM
That looks really good i wanna play at Hogwarts now :) good luck with it all ill be dling this level:urpdude:

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by __CKY__
That looks really good i wanna play at Hogwarts now :) good luck with it all ill be dling this level:urpdude:

Thanks. If you want to speed it up, grab me some reference pics. Whoever gets me a map of the actual floorplan of Hogwarts would be my God. I'm gonna go looking in bookstores and libraries to see if there's anything I can use as well. Still have no volunteers for help, with one or two exceptions. :(

-Anakin

Chewie Bakker
10-20-2002, 12:03 PM
JEDI_Anakin_S: My girlfriend has a very large collection of Harry Potter images, including images of the original cathedrals they 'borrowed' the design from, other production shots, and even the banners/standards of the four houses. I can get some for you if you so wish.
:animelol: (bakkerluke@hotmail.com)
The Harry Potter Lexicon (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/) has a maps (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/atlas-h.html) section that might be of use to you. My girlfriend recommends starting at this one (http://www.i2k.com/~svderark/lexicon/atlas-h-ground.html).
:animelol: (bakkerluke@hotmail.com)
Good luck with the map. :thumbs1:

:gben: The Force will be with you, always.

Chewie Bakker
10-20-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JEDI_Anakin_S

Thanks. If you want to speed it up, grab me some reference pics. Whoever gets me a map of the actual floorplan of Hogwarts would be my God. I'm gonna go looking in bookstores and libraries to see if there's anything I can use as well. Still have no volunteers for help, with one or two exceptions. :(

-Anakin

You gonna bow to your god? ;P

Anakin you can contact me via e-mail (or through private message, whichever takes your fancy), and let me know what "volunteers" you're after.

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Chewie Bakker

You gonna bow to your god? ;P

Anakin you can contact me via e-mail (or through private message, whichever takes your fancy), and let me know what "volunteers" you're after.

:bounce1: *bows* *bows* *bows* I don't know how you (or your girlfriend) found the Lexicon, but it will be immensely helpful. :D
I'm sending you a PM now about details, or you can check in the other thread for Help with the Hogwarts Map also.

-Anakin

__CKY__
10-20-2002, 05:04 PM
If I could I would take the extra thing where you tour around Hogwarts as a special feature on the DVD but I don't have the equipment but i'll still look for something.

:dev6:

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 05:14 PM
You only tour the Gryffindor Common Room and one of the bedrooms, and it's horribly blurry. If the rest of Hogwarts was mapped like that, i'd use it, but there are better sources of reference pics.

-Anakin

Andy867
10-20-2002, 07:29 PM
Hey Jedi_Anakin_S, just wanted to let you know that I made a post on the main site about your request for texture artists and a few good modelers. And I posted a link to the thread for people to check out the WIP.

Professor Snape
10-20-2002, 07:39 PM
yo dude this is awesome. I was wondering. Is tehre only the one pic or are there more?

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
Hey Jedi_Anakin_S, just wanted to let you know that I made a post on the main site about your request for texture artists and a few good modelers. And I posted a link to the thread for people to check out the WIP.

Thanks a bunch Andy! :D

And Anakin-Davin, I just started on it yesterday, and there's not enough new stuff to post a new picture. Soon though. :)

Professor Snape
10-20-2002, 09:01 PM
aight thats fine. We need some harry potter models for this. I wanna be hagrid!

Eldritch
10-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Just uploaded a new picture, as i've started working on the Great Hall.
I still have to make the tables longer, they're not quite long enough.

-Anakin

Eldritch
10-21-2002, 12:34 PM
There's now a website for the Hogwarts WIP that the screenshots are on... here's the link

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk/)

littledragoon
10-21-2002, 02:39 PM
This is gonna be awesome! And yes; we do need models to go along with it. I definately wanna be Hagrid.:D

~The Little Dragoon~
<><

"I am Spartan

Altus_Thrawn
10-21-2002, 05:24 PM
Good luck...

Eldritch
10-21-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
Good luck...

Uh, thanks...

Eldritch
10-22-2002, 12:23 AM
Site updated with pic number 3... it's an early build of one of the staircases.

http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk

__CKY__
10-22-2002, 12:30 AM
:D They all look really good dude see if i were to try that it would be a big block of black lol

Yugioh79
10-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Can't you just find the textures used for the Harry Potter game for the pc? They could be deep inside some file just like all the skins are for Jk2. or are the textures to cartoonish? That would be the easy way out... :p :ewok:

Chewie Bakker
10-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Looking good.

Lemme know if/when you need my help. You know where to e-mail me ;)

:aobi: This weapon is you life. :saberb:

Eldritch
10-22-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Yugioh79
Can't you just find the textures used for the Harry Potter game for the pc? They could be deep inside some file just like all the skins are for Jk2. or are the textures to cartoonish? That would be the easy way out... :p :ewok:

Welcome to the forums, Yugioh. :D

Couple of problems with your suggestion:
1) I don't have the Harry Potter game for the PC (nor do I really want it, lol... but if someone has it and could check out your suggestion, it might help)
2) IF there are textures in the PC game for Harry Potter, they may not work, or may be too blurry or something. I'd have to see them to know.

On a side note, i've finally caved in on the textures thing and gotten to work on it myself... not sure how it will turn out, but hopefully you'll be able to tell for yourself later tonight. WhiteShdw has offered to help me with some textures, but he's also currently busy with the DotF version 2 map working with Shadriss. That's all for now.

__CKY__
10-22-2002, 07:01 PM
You can take textures out of other games? :confused:

Eldritch
10-22-2002, 07:02 PM
You can take textures out of other games? :confused:

It depends on the game. Some you can, some you have to go thru a lot of trouble if you wanted a specific texture. It all depends.

Cagliostro
10-22-2002, 08:06 PM
http://www.davegh.com/

Free textures, many are stone, etc. I think he only asks you mention him in the text file as a source.

Eldritch
10-22-2002, 10:49 PM
Small update to the website, new screenshot posted. I've started texturing the great hall with some of the new textures i've been working with.

__CKY__
10-23-2002, 01:23 AM
That us really good looking dude it looks perfect to me what else do you have to add in to that room or is it done?:)

James Brophy
10-23-2002, 05:46 AM
if you want i can take some screenies of harry potter the game, P.S it is my brothers game he is 7 plz dont flame me for having harry potter :D :o

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 11:25 AM
That us really good looking dude it looks perfect to me what else do you have to add in to that room or is it done?:)

It's not even nearly done. There's still about a zillion things to add. If I left it like that I'd get laughed at - plus it only vaguely looks like the room right now. That was just to show how it looked with some textures that weren't from JO.

And James, screenies would be nice... as many as you can get from as many of the areas of the castle as you can get. And if you have it on PC, perhaps you could look in the folder where it's installed to see if there's any texture folder. If so, contact me right away (I can tell you how to copy them out so I can possibly use them). Both things would be a great help.

James Brophy
10-23-2002, 12:24 PM
i can get lots of screenies but i need like an area inside outside or quidditch field or wat?:confused: :D

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 12:27 PM
This is a texture site i found
http://www.noctua-graphics.de/english/freetex_e.htm

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Quidditch field and most outdoors areas will most likely not be included in the map, as it would be too difficult. However, if this changes, I'll let you know.

I basically need as many screenshots of the inside as you can get - Great hall, entrance hall, House common rooms, classrooms, hallways, etc.

Take pictures of EVERYTHING (close ups too if something is too small) - architecture, paintings, stones in the ceiling, wall or floor, rugs, the more pictures you get, the more accurate I can make the level.

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 05:22 PM
I just downloaded the Harry Potter game and i have found the textures for the game. I will get them up to a site so you can download them.

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 05:59 PM
That would be great. Or you can email them to me - it's up to you. Click the little 'email' button right below my post if you want to do that.

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Na i have already uploaded them and i hope you have cable because before i zip them they where 99 mb. but now after the zip they are about 64mb. i had to brake them up into 6 diff zips because i had to make up 6 different names to upload them all to tripod. but the viewer is in the 6th zip file.

here it is http://yugioh796.tripod.com/index.html ..
:p

Elijah
10-23-2002, 08:51 PM
People say i look like Draco... or what ever his name is, becuse of my hair... yea i wont bore you with my life :D

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
People say i look like Draco... or what ever his name is, becuse of my hair... yea i wont bore you with my life :D

You've got blonde hair slicked back? Interesting.

And Yugioh, I do have cable, dling them now. Thanks for your hard work - you'll be sure to get a mention in the readme when it's released. :D

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 09:16 PM
I just uploaded some screenshots of the entrance hall. http://yugioh796.tripod.com/

Altus_Thrawn
10-23-2002, 09:20 PM
I wish I could help make this map somehow, but the only thing I can do is map, but not as well as the screenshots show that you can...

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 09:20 PM
You'll have to post a link to the screenshots (just like the other .zips)... Tripod won't allow me to do a remote download. :(

Altus, I may be able to use your help with some parts of the mapping... I just need to get a little organized, and I need some time to sort through this mountain of information that Yugioh just got for me. Email or PM a way to contact you and I'll give you details when I have it.

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 09:25 PM
I just edited the url and thanks JEDI_Anakin_S. I just wish i could do more like make some of the map but im a newb to map making and modding.

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 09:30 PM
I just edited the url and thanks JEDI_Anakin_S. I just wish i could do more like make some of the map but im a newb to map making and modding.

Well, you were able to put together this pretty well... can you make textures or model? Because I do need a couple of different things... those these textures are fantastic, it's going to take me forever to go through them, lol.

Yugioh79
10-23-2002, 09:36 PM
Im kind of good with photo shop so i guess i could do some of the textures. Just tell me what you want to be done. If you do not want me to do anything tonight then i will take more screen shots in the game.

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 09:56 PM
No, nothing for tonight. I just want to work on the textures... if you can just keep taking screenshots, i'm going to put together sort of a map... so I know how to build it, what goes where, what textures to use... it will save a lot of time later on.

:EDIT: Looking at the screenshots, don't worry about closeups of paintings and stuff... I need more of the big picture of where stuff goes, especially in the Dining Hall and the rest of Hogwarts hallways, staircases, etc...

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Sorry for not getting the dining hall yet. I have to play the game to get into the new places so i'm trying to hurry through the game so i can get there. I got more screen shots last night and i will post them when i get home from school. :bored: Do you want any pics of the outside? Like outside the main entrance door. :rolleyes:

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 02:37 PM
Unless you can see the outside from the inside, I don't want any screenshots of that. If there's something like a courtyard that's surrounded by walls or something, you can take pictures of that though. And I found these... maybe they'll help you get thru the game more quickly.

Cheat Codes
Debug mode; press [F7] to disable harrydebugmodeon
Unknown harrysuperkoresh
Restores health harrygetsfullhealth
Super jumps harrysuperjump
Big jumps harrynormaljump
15 beans harrytriggercheat
Invisibility harrykoresh
Silent walking1 harrykorwalk

Level select:
Enable the harrydebugmodeon code, then return to the main menu. Press [F1] through [F4] to switch to various locations, or press [F5] for all of them.

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 05:02 PM
I just uploaded the screen shots that i took last night. http://yugioh796.tripod.com/
:rolleyes:
P.S. Thanks for the codes.

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 05:57 PM
When I click on screenshots2.zip, it tells me the page no longer exists. I think you need to fix the link, probably a typo somewhere. :p

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 06:01 PM
Sorry, there was no "s" on the screenshot file. works now.;)

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 06:10 PM
Got it. The pictures look nice... i'm wondering though - I just dled a copy of the game myself, but am not sure how to install it... perhaps you could send me an email of how you installed yours?

The way mine works is it's got a self-extracting zip which extracts the warez file that extracts the game... but the warez wants to know where to install it and after that, I just don't know. Little help. :)

P.S. - Like the new avatar, by the way

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 06:29 PM
I sent you an email.. and thanks i made it just a sec ago, and i just got finished with another one too.

Do you want me to stop taking screen shots?

So is there any thing new for me to do?

__CKY__
10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
I just make a new folder on ym desktop go into the fodler copy the link on top paste it where it says where you want it to extract then after its done i go into the folder and either it has the installation in it or it is just the already installed part.

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 08:39 PM
Yugioh, if I can get the game working, I won't need you to take any more screenshots for me. You've already been immensely helpful - if you want a new project, I can give you one...

In other news, i've been working on the ceiling in the great hall... posted 3 new screens on the webpage (the last one in 3rd person view so you have an idea of how big the place really is).

Also have thrown in some of the textures that Yugioh found and I have formated for use in the game. Hope you like them... they still need a little tweaking but for now they're ok.

:EDIT: Yugioh, are you sure that you sent it to the right email address? I haven't gotten any mail from you yet...

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 09:18 PM
yeah im sure i sent it to you. I pushed the email button under your name. sure i will work on a new project :p

Lookin Great !!!!!

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 09:26 PM
yeah im sure i sent it to you. I pushed the email button under your name. sure i will work on a new project :p

Lookin Great !!!!!

Hmm... it didn't go thru, nor did one I just tried to send myself from the forums... try sending it directly to chrisjahosky@cfl.rr.com

Also, new project... not sure if you can do this BUT I figured I'd ask anyway. I'd like a new skybox, preferably nighttime to be made for the map. Also I need some way to make the ceiling in the Great Hall look like the night sky, but also be able to see the architecture behind it. So my idea is a semi-transparent moving shader thing that looks like the night sky (with clouds and stars and whatnot).
So if you think you can do it (the skybox and the nightsky ceiling) that's your new project. :D If you can't, let me know.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the map.

Altus_Thrawn
10-24-2002, 09:38 PM
This is shaping up to be a great map...great....

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 09:46 PM
Thanks. Those torches (and the things holding them) are really just placeholders... the grey blocky spots on the wall holding the torches will eventually be gargoyles, and the torch will be bigger. Next I have to add detail to the windows, add the big window behind the teacher's table, add chairs and plates/cups, add the doors, add the floating candles and finalize the textures and the Great Hall is finished - then I can get onto the rest of Hogwarts. :D

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 10:30 PM
ummmm i really havent learned anything about the shader files or the skyboy things :( but i would love to learn how. if you know any tutorials on how to make them i would make the skybox and the shader. I have the tools to do it but do not know how to use them. I would spend all day on it tomorrow because i have no school :p

i sent you an email

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 10:47 PM
I've got no idea on how to do shaders or skyboxes or anything relating to textures... check the stuck threads up at the top of the mapping forum maybe? Also, I emailed you back because the setup of the game isn't working.

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 11:09 PM
thanks i found a tutorial and i sent you and email back. ;)

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 11:14 PM
thanks i found a tutorial and i sent you and email back. ;)

Cool. Let me see what you come up with. :D

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 11:19 PM
it will probably be tomorrow even before i even try to start on the shader. but i will spend all day on it and i am looking forward to having no school tomorrow!!!!! :eek:

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 11:23 PM
it will probably be tomorrow even before i even try to start on the shader. but i will spend all day on it and i am looking forward to having no school tomorrow!!!!! :eek:

I've got my last day of midterms tomorrow... just Calculus, but that class is pulling down my entire GPA so i've got to do well on it. God I hate college. :sigh:

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 11:43 PM
lol im taking pre Calculus and im only in 10th grade. but im very good at math... so what are you taking in college. what are you majoring in. What college are you going to? sorry for all the questions but im just curious about college.

Eldritch
10-24-2002, 11:50 PM
Taking 16 credits this semester...
Calculus
Religion
Western Humanities
Oceanography (Astronomy was full, so I had to take this)
Biology

Haven't declared a major yet... something in game design (kind of like what i'm doing as an amateur, lol) would be ideal but i'm not sure what to take for that. I used to write code back in high school but that got WAY too boring, so I wouldn't want to write the code for the games. I'd design 'em, though.

Yugioh79
10-24-2002, 11:56 PM
That is kewl i wish i was out of school so i could go to college and do what im interested in. Im going to do computer programing...

Eldritch
10-25-2002, 12:02 AM
That is kewl i wish i was out of school so i could go to college and do what im interested in. Im going to do computer programing...

Good luck with that. I just found it too boring for me to do for the rest of my life. But let's not clog up the thread with this personal stuff. If you want to continue this chat, let's do it in PMs.

__CKY__
10-25-2002, 01:58 AM
LOL I'm just a freshman but when I go to college I look forward to learning Computer Graphic Designing.:)

Altus_Thrawn
10-25-2002, 07:23 AM
lol, i'm in 6th grade, doing pre algrebra, so far I have learned 1 thing, on thursdays I study SAT math...

Eldritch
10-25-2002, 08:08 AM
Yugioh,

Anything you get done today with the shaders don't post publicly... send me an email with it - I wouldn't want stuff to get out before the map is ready, it would just ruin it. :D
Do try to make the ceiling shader as big as you can... 1024x1024 if at all possible, I think it will look better at a larger resolution.
Good luck.

Yugioh79
10-25-2002, 03:29 PM
I really don't think i can make one i have no idea how to make a shader. i tryed to read the tutorial but it did not help at all and i can't find one that will help. Did you get the Hp game yet? Could you help me look for one that would help? Do you think that the pics in the Skybox.utx of the hp game would work?

Eldritch
10-25-2002, 04:40 PM
I really don't think i can make one i have no idea how to make a shader. i tryed to read the tutorial but it did not help at all and i can't find one that will help. Did you get the Hp game yet? Could you help me look for one that would help? Do you think that the pics in the Skybox.utx of the hp game would work?

Don't worry about the shader. I'll figure it out... i've been meaning to anyway, so now i'll have to. :D

I got the game working, by the way.

And no, the pics in skybox.utx aren't quite what i'm looking for, so i'll have to go with something else.

Altus_Thrawn
10-26-2002, 08:40 AM
bump :)

Omikron
10-26-2002, 09:06 AM
If someone could direct me to a tutorial i could give it a crack for ya! :)

Eldritch
10-26-2002, 06:14 PM
3 new pics up on the site...

1st one is more of a detailed window... the black texture is a WIP in itself (the black eventually will look like opaque frosted glass)

2nd one is rough start of one of the 2 fireplaces in the Great Hall

3rd one is of the whole hall, and you can see the start of the big window at the end of it (also have a couple candles floating around just to see how it looks)

Crits, please. :D

http://www.hogwarts.tk

Sephiroth CR
10-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Hey are u going to put any special features in the map that other big maps have ( like a detention facility, a lounge, a bar, ect.)?

By the way, even though I don't know a thing about Harry Potter, it looks like it'll be an awesome map!:)

Eldritch
10-26-2002, 07:59 PM
Hey are u going to put any special features in the map that other big maps have ( like a detention facility, a lounge, a bar, ect.)?

Hogwarts is basically a huge castle which contains (among other things) a Great Hall (which is what most of the pictures are of so far) whose ceiling looks like the night sky (which isn't done yet, obviously); moving staircases, multiple classrooms (as it is a school), a large kitchen, dungeons (which I suppose could be used as a detention facility), and dormitories and their common rooms (aka lounges). Other stuff will be in there i'm sure - just haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm also considering adding Saga objectives to this map, although i'm not sure what those objectives will be yet (ideas, anyone?) or how to implement Saga, so i'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

__CKY__
10-27-2002, 12:29 AM
This level is going to make the word 0wnage all new:D

Eldritch
10-27-2002, 01:24 AM
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but wait until i've completed a little more of the level first, lol. ;) I'm not even at 5% yet.

But I will remember the name Ownage. Maybe I'll make a sequel to this map and call it Hogwarts II: The Ownage :D

Scouttrooper
10-27-2002, 08:18 AM
He JEDI_Anakin_S do you have some pictures of the mapobjects that I go to make ?

Stupid reply, but i tryd to send you a PM ,... :( i get a message that your mailbox is full

---------------------------------------------------------------
Sith Infiltrator : 85 %
Pit Droid : 55 %
Tie Interceptor : 100 % (error)
Eopie : 60 %
Hoth Lasercannon 100 % (error)
Hoth Atgar 1.4 Fd cannon : 0 %

The Models (http://photos.lycos.com/PhotoCShare/PhotoAlbum.asp?CG=23i5hu2e8634n8rc7u7atnrv68&AID=390382)

Waiting for making a model for The Past Awakened (http://www.geocities.com/thepastawakened/team.html)

Eldritch
10-27-2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Scouttrooper
He JEDI_Anakin_S do you have some pictures of the mapobjects that I go to make ?

Stupid reply, but i tryd to send you a PM ,... :( i get a message that your mailbox is full

I do have some pictures. I'll throw them your way soon.

And i'll clean out my PM mailbox - hadn't realized it'd gotten that full.

__CKY__
10-27-2002, 02:14 PM
Lol that would be funny everyone would be calling it 0wnage for sure though :)

Eldritch
10-27-2002, 10:19 PM
Small update tonight... mostly texture changes, and in the second shot I added what will eventually be the night sky effect seen on the ceiling... it's not transparent yet - it's just there to give me an idea of what it will look like.

Crits are needed, as always. :D

Bar_Tender
10-27-2002, 11:52 PM
Small update tonight... mostly texture changes, and in the second shot I added what will eventually be the night sky effect seen on the ceiling... it's not transparent yet - it's just there to give me an idea of what it will look like.

Crits are needed, as always. :D

Are you sure it's supposed to be the NIGHT sky? In the book, Hermione says, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." The windows make it clear that, at the moment, it's a daylight level. If so, it should probably be the daytime sky in the ceiling.

Other than that, this level is looking great! I am really looking forward to it.

__CKY__
10-28-2002, 01:51 AM
Very good looking dude also night looks much better *starts saving money to bribe JEDI for beta testing when its done* :p

Eldritch
10-28-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Bar_Tender

Are you sure it's supposed to be the NIGHT sky? In the book, Hermione says, "It's bewitched to look like the sky outside. I read about it in Hogwarts, A History." The windows make it clear that, at the moment, it's a daylight level. If so, it should probably be the daytime sky in the ceiling.

Other than that, this level is looking great! I am really looking forward to it.

The sky outside is a skybox from Outcast, and will not be used in the final version. It's just there to have something to look at. The stage will take place at night, though. And to my recollection, the ceiling only displays the effect at night - meaning that at night it shows the sky outside. Also, it remains to be seen whether or not the windows in the hall will be clear or opaque. WhiteShdw is working on two different window textures for me, and when I get them back i'll see which one looks better (though I'm leaning towards opaque because that's whats seen in the movie). Thanks for your input. :)

Altus_Thrawn
10-28-2002, 09:19 AM
I can't tell if it is here from your screenies, but I believe there is a door and a small room behind the teacher's table.

Yugioh79
10-28-2002, 12:18 PM
sorry for not posting, i was gone all weekend. But anakin do you have the harry potter game yet? Nice ceiling but is is going to cover the whole ceiling at the end?

Eldritch
10-28-2002, 06:32 PM
I can't tell if it is here from your screenies, but I believe there is a door and a small room behind the teacher's table.

It's not there yet, but there is actually two doors on that end of the hall. There's a lot of stuff on the walls that's not there yet, and none of the doors are in yet. A number of details aren't in yet, but i'm working on it. ;)

And to Yugioh - I haven't decided if it will cover the whole ceiling yet; i'm waiting to see how it will look when it's semi-transparent. It will most likely end up covering it all though. And yes, I have the game.

Chewie Bakker
10-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Hi all,

Some more Harry Potter pics here (http://www.pojo.com/harrypotter/movieimages.shtml), that might be useful in the development of the Hogwarts JK2 map.

:aobi: This weapon is your life. :saberb:

Shadriss
10-29-2002, 08:19 AM
Heyas Anakin. Thought I'd drop by and see what you were up to. From what I've seen and read, ,it looks like things are on track here, but I do have two concerns.

I dont think you'r night sky, as you want to do it, is going to work in the great hall. The semi-transparent effect can only be achieved, so far as I know, with a fog shader. I havent seen it tried, but I dont know if you can do an actual picture-type texture on a fog style brush and still have it look right. Just a thought.

The second relates to the textures you're taking from the HP game... not to sound pedantic or anything, but I dont think that's allowed. Now, if you were to make your own textures BASED on them, that would be something else, but taking the textures direct, changing them slightly to be usable in the engine, and plugging them in is, I'm pretty sure, a copyright issue. Maybe I'm wrong (It's happened before! :) ) but you MAY want to make sure of that before you go too much farther.

Other than that, looking good. We shall be watching this thread with MUCH interest...

Eldritch
10-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Shadriss

I dont think you'r night sky, as you want to do it, is going to work in the great hall. The semi-transparent effect can only be achieved, so far as I know, with a fog shader. I havent seen it tried, but I dont know if you can do an actual picture-type texture on a fog style brush and still have it look right. Just a thought.

The second relates to the textures you're taking from the HP game... not to sound pedantic or anything, but I dont think that's allowed. Now, if you were to make your own textures BASED on them, that would be something else, but taking the textures direct, changing them slightly to be usable in the engine, and plugging them in is, I'm pretty sure, a copyright issue. Maybe I'm wrong (It's happened before! :) ) but you MAY want to make sure of that before you go too much farther.

Other than that, looking good. We shall be watching this thread with MUCH interest...

Thanks for the input, Shadriss. I'm going to ask WhiteShdw about the night sky thing - I know nothing about shaders, and thus my idea is just me stating something that seems rational, but I really don't know. :D

As for the textures from the HP game, of course it's not allowed. So aside from strictly altering them so they can be used in the game, i've made a number of changes to the textures i've used. Besides, only 2 or 3 of the textures used in the Great Hall are from the HP game - the rest are taken from free texture sites or created by me.
So if I were to get any kind of official message about the copyright thing, i'll just swap out the HP game textures for the ones I was using before.

Shadriss
10-29-2002, 11:36 AM
:) Just making sure your bases were covered, so to speak.

Wudan
10-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Ok, now it's my turn to quiz the mast'a mapp'a :

Do you have rotating doors, or are you going to have this be a standard JK2 Map? Or are you going to leave the doors propped open a la SOF2?

And ... I think you can do the ceiling justice using a fog that uses the skybox as its 'fog' - i know you can do an entire maps fog with the skyshader as fog, but I don't know bout just a block o ' fog.

Eldritch
10-29-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by wudan
Ok, now it's my turn to quiz the mast'a mapp'a :

Do you have rotating doors, or are you going to have this be a standard JK2 Map? Or are you going to leave the doors propped open a la SOF2?

And ... I think you can do the ceiling justice using a fog that uses the skybox as its 'fog' - i know you can do an entire maps fog with the skyshader as fog, but I don't know bout just a block o ' fog.

As of this moment, I have no doors right now. I'm currently testing a few different ideas to have doors that swing open and close (like real doors)... not going to let the cat out of the bag on it yet, but i'll let you know if it works. ;) If it doesn't though, I won't have the standard JK2 sliding doors - they'll be open a la SOF2.

The fog is a good idea - I still have yet to ask WhiteShdw about the night sky shader thing... I will soon though.

And Shadriss, thanks for your concern. :)

Wudan
10-29-2002, 06:38 PM
Oh, i was just mentioning it cuz uh ... my ... unnamed code changes ... happends to include ... func_door_rotating ... just like mamma used to make ...

On second thought, that might not be something you want to do. But, if it is something you want to try out, PM me. You'd need door creaking sounds, but ... should do.

Eldritch
10-29-2002, 07:20 PM
Oh, i was just mentioning it cuz uh ... my ... unnamed code changes ... happends to include ... func_door_rotating ... just like mamma used to make ...

On second thought, that might not be something you want to do. But, if it is something you want to try out, PM me. You'd need door creaking sounds, but ... should do.

Check your PMs, Wudan. ;)

Wudan
10-29-2002, 07:46 PM

Check your PMs, Wudan. ;)

No, check your PMs ... ;P

Altus_Thrawn
10-30-2002, 06:46 AM
bump.

I want to help in this map in any way I can even if it means bumping it every day and nothing else.

Eldritch
10-30-2002, 08:43 AM
Ok - here's an update. I've been talking with Wudan about the doors in Hogwarts. As you know, they don't slide like the typical JK2 doors, which leaves me with 3 options.

1) Leave the doors open
2) Use Wudan's modifications to get doors that swing open - the drawback is that the level would have to be run as a mod
3) Use scripting

For all the regular game modes (FFA, Duel, etc) I'm leaning towards options 1 or 3. However, for the Saga game mode, which would be run as a mod anyway, I'm leaning towards option 2. It all depends on what works better, so we'll have to see.

WhiteShdw is working on the nightsky problem for me... as soon as he gets through with it, i'll throw it in game and see how it looks. He's also doing a few things with some other textures.

As for the map itself, i've been pretty busy so I haven't done enough to warrant more screenshots. I'll have more as we get closer to the weekend (and into the weekend). I'm also in the process of upgrading my computer, so i'm backing everything up in case I have to reformat my hard drive. Hopefully everything will be loaded smoothly so I don't have any real downtime.

That's all for now.

Shadriss
10-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Hmmm. That upgrade sounds familier - I wonder why you're taking pain to be sure of backups... Nah. Must be coincidance. :)

Wudan
10-30-2002, 11:20 AM
OOooooh - good point. With large maps, make a backup ... after each eighth of the map is finished - do you have a rough map of hogwarts?

Also, there's a func_rotate riddle posted somewhere here where somebody has a script for func_static that rotates doors, dunno if it can play sounds, but it would make life easier than using my hitherto unfinished mod.

Eldritch
10-30-2002, 02:22 PM
Hmmm. That upgrade sounds familier - I wonder why you're taking pain to be sure of backups... Nah. Must be coincidance. :)

What, you had some problems and didn't have a backup? ;)
Seriously though, your unfortunate accident did remind me to do it, so thanks. :D

Wudan, what do you mean by "rough map?" If you mean the layout, i'm still working on that, taking clues from the movies and the game to fill in the blanks, as there is no existing detailed "map" of Hogwarts that I'm aware of. I'm going to try that rotating script and see if I can't get sound to work with it. I don't see a reason why I couldn't, but you never know with these things...

Wudan
10-30-2002, 08:05 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get sounds on those scripts.

I just mean, do you have an idea of what layout you are going to choose? I can't find a map either, it'll be best just to map it the way you want, seems as how anyone could get lost in Hogwart's anyway.

Eldritch
10-30-2002, 09:35 PM
I do have an idea for the layout. Currently, most of it resides in my head ;) but i'm in the process of transcribing it to paper in map form to have as a handy reference (as I think most good mappers should do). I also have countless sketches of details i've taken from the movies, ideas jotted down, many reference pics (though not nearly enough).

And you are right - it does seem as though anyone could get lost in Hogwarts. I do intend to try and capture that effect. Even Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts, said that one morning while heading to the bathroom he took a wrong turn and ended up in a room he'd never seen before. :D

I plan on having many of the locations mentioned in the books/movies, with few exceptions (like the kitchen beneath the Great Hall and the prefect's private bathroom). I also plan on creating some of the hidden passages and rooms.

Depending on how large this gets (at present it seems to be growing) I may have to take on a co-mapper or two. We'll just have to see.

Shadriss
10-30-2002, 09:41 PM
Well, I think you can simplify your work in some areas. By which I mean this -

Four Houses (Griffendor, ,SLitherin, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff...)
Each with thier own towers, or complexes, or whatever...

Which would PROBOBLY be the same layout, with slightly different decorations.

The term "cut and paste" comes to mind here.... of course, ,that's probobly obvious, but just the same, ,I thought I'd point it out.

Altus_Thrawn
10-30-2002, 09:46 PM
gotta love the space bar when using radiant

Eldritch
10-30-2002, 09:48 PM
Sadly, there's actually little information on the common rooms for the 4 houses... the most info is on Gryffindor, which has a tower. Slytherin however is in the dungeons, and according to the books the layout is essentially the opposite of Gryffindor's open and light rooms.

Going to use my imagination when it comes to Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff, unless for some reason the new movie gives something up. Even the location of their common rooms is a secret, so i'll really be winging it.

However, I have observed that there are certain sections of Hogwarts that do look similar (hallways/coridors) so once I have basic architecture for these places done, it is a simple cut and paste job. So we are on the same page. :)

Altus_Thrawn
10-31-2002, 09:30 PM
hmmm...it seems my job for this map is bumping the topic to the top.

bump

and what you said about the houses is true.

At least one house has a tower, Slytherin is in the dungeons, and we don't know what the others are like. As for duplicating, Yeah! All the walls are stone...

Altus_Thrawn
10-31-2002, 09:33 PM
If this map is as big as the books portray it as, it will be huge. I see two reasons why to run it as a mod:
1)Rotating doors
2)adding a "radar", so you can find others in the huge map.

Also, 1 reason for not running as a mod:
1) can't use other mods (duh)

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, those house locations that you mention make sencee, ,given thier names and house symbols... think about it.

Griffendor - A griffin. Soaring high above the plains and such. And it's in a tower. :)

Slytherin - a snake. So close to the ground, they're in it, in a dungeon.

So, given those two, think of the other two in the same way... Ravenclaw would get a tower, or something similar, ,where they could "perch" over the school grounds, and as for Hufflepuff.... Hmmm. What IS Hufflepuffs crest, anyways? (For some reason, I see a giant Kirby from "Kirby's Dream Land...")

Eldritch
11-01-2002, 01:38 PM
If this map is as big as the books portray it as, it will be huge. I see two reasons why to run it as a mod:
1)Rotating doors
2)adding a "radar", so you can find others in the huge map.

Also, 1 reason for not running as a mod:
1) can't use other mods (duh)

In response to your points, Altus :

1) I can do the rotating (or more accurately, swinging) doors with scripting. The point of creating this map initially was so that it could be played easily and by multiple people at the same time. Running it as a mod complicates this.

2) This is a good idea. I have absolutely no idea how to do it, but Wudan seems to be handy with that sort of thing, so i'll ask him about it. Chances are that it would have to be run as a mod to accomplish this, but we'll see.

What i'd like to do is have a "regular" (no radars or other mod-like stuff) version of the map for all the usual gamemodes : Duel (though I think I'll maybe confine the Duel part to the Great Hall only, otherwise it'd just be too big), FFA, CTF, etc.
Then i'd like to have a "moded" version of the map (with radars and Saga objectives).

Well, those house locations that you mention make sencee, ,given thier names and house symbols... think about it.

Griffendor - A griffin. Soaring high above the plains and such. And it's in a tower. :)

Slytherin - a snake. So close to the ground, they're in it, in a dungeon.

So, given those two, think of the other two in the same way... Ravenclaw would get a tower, or something similar, ,where they could "perch" over the school grounds, and as for Hufflepuff.... Hmmm. What IS Hufflepuffs crest, anyways? (For some reason, I see a giant Kirby from "Kirby's Dream Land...")

:rofl: Kirby... I thought of that too the first time I heard it.

Hufflepuff's crest (or mascot) is a badger. Ravenclaw is supposed to be the "wise" house, so maybe i'll put them close to the library and in a tower. We'll see.

If all goes to plan, the new computer parts should arrive today and I can upgrade the comp over the weekend. Should make it a lot easier to work on the map. Expect updates later tonight! ;)

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Hufflepuff's crest (or mascot) is a badger

Badgers? BADGERS???

WE DONT NEED NO STINKIN' BADGERS!!!!

Eldritch
11-01-2002, 01:49 PM
LOL Shadriss...

"'You want badgers? You want badgers, mother b***h? I give you badgers. Two dollars each.'
*Smith/Lawrence pull their guns out*
'Now put the gun down, and give me a pack of tropical fruit Bubblicious.'
'Yeah, and some Skittles.'"

(Bad Boys, in case anyone doesn't know...)

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 01:52 PM
Ummmm... Anakin... I think BADGES was your referance word... I quoted "UHF". :)

wedge2211
11-01-2002, 01:53 PM
Given that all the corridors and stairs and stuff in Hogwarts bend around and go unexpected places and go to new locations depending on the stairwell's mood at the time ( ;) ), i bet you could do a lot of neat things with teleporters...make corridors that look like they run off into the distance at the edge of the map on the bottom level but when a player walks down it it turns out to end up right in the middle of the map in a tower...

coul dmake gameplay REALLY interesting to throw in such illogical stuff like that. :D

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 01:57 PM
*puts little finger to corner of his mouth* THat would be... EVIL! :)

Eldritch
11-01-2002, 02:02 PM
Ummmm... Anakin... I think BADGES was your referance word... I quoted "UHF". :)

I know, but I thought we were on a Badgers kick, so it was intended as a pun. Ah well, another failed attempt at humor. ;)

And wedge, some teleporters around the place isn't a bad idea... but too many of them would indeed, as Shadriss said, be EVIIIL.

Scouttrooper
11-01-2002, 04:15 PM
JEDI_Anakin_S check your PM :D:D:D
Your map is looking great !!! :D:D:D

(I'm looking for someone hwo will betatest my Tie Interceptor,... please reply to my thread (WIP : 4 Md3 models)

Darth_Acidius
11-02-2002, 04:34 AM
I will admit i did only read page one http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/m/diffident.gif however if you are still after Gryfindor Common room pics i might be able to help.

The DVD extras disc has a tour of hogworts. Basicly it has the empty set and seeing as you contral it with the arrows you can stop and look.......

meaning i could get you pics of the empty common roomhttp://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/v/hairraise.gif ..........

hows that sound?

Altus_Thrawn
11-02-2002, 08:07 AM
Welcome to the forums.

I can't speak for Anakin, but I think it would be great to have a picture to copy.

Chewie Bakker
11-02-2002, 10:24 AM
I plan on having many of the locations mentioned in the books/movies, with few exceptions (like the kitchen beneath the Great Hall and the prefect's private bathroom). I also plan on creating some of the hidden passages and rooms.

Depending on how large this gets (at present it seems to be growing) I may have to take on a co-mapper or two. We'll just have to see.

:trooper::trooper::trooper::trooper::trooper:

Ah yes, secret passageways and moving stairwells... I think the Slytherin dorms are underneath the lake, and that the dorm uses the lake as a sort of skylight (or so the missus tells me). That would be pretty neat. Are you planning on including the grounds (Big map, BIG MAP)?

If you need a co-mapper or two, I can help with fairly basic maps.

KenKatarn
11-02-2002, 04:27 PM
When will this map be ready?:atat:

Altus_Thrawn
11-02-2002, 04:53 PM
Soon, we hope.

Welcom to the forums.

Amakin, it really says something about how much people want your map when the first thing a new member does is ask when it will be ready. :)

Eldritch
11-02-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by KenKatarn
When will this map be ready?:atat:

Ahhh! I knew this question would pop up eventually. :p

As of right now, I haven't even set a date that I want to shoot for yet. It's not going to be within the next few days though, I can tell you that. :(

I've hit a snag in the upgrading process of my comp - nothing too major, I should have it fixed by the end of the weekend, but it's kept me from working on the map. Combine that with college handing out many projects to me, and you have a recipe for slow progress. However, even though it may appear nothing new has happened, a couple things are going on in the background - i've got two different people modeling some things for me, i'm working on textures and the layout of the map (which will save a LOT of time later on) as well as a few other things. Just wanted to let you know I am working on it, even though I haven't posted a new screenshot for a couple days.

Altus_Thrawn
11-03-2002, 04:53 PM
The good old bump.
What can I say that will make this post not spam....

Ah yes! Will you include the greenhouse and the quiditch stadium?

Eldritch
11-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Greenhouse, maybe.

Quidditch, no. To do all of the inside as well as the outside (the grounds are much larger than the castle itself) would be impossible given the constraints of the engine.

Altus_Thrawn
11-04-2002, 07:34 AM
True, but the quiditch itself wouln't be that hard because it is mostly open right?
Maybe you could put a warp with a door texture that says "quiditch" and have the player warp.

Eldritch
11-04-2002, 08:33 AM
True, but because it's mostly open it's kind of useless. Unless there was a quidditch mod or something, it's just a big open field with a few seating towers around it.

Altus_Thrawn
11-05-2002, 07:48 AM
<yoda voice>
Smart, you are.
</yoda voice>

I think this thread needs a bump!
If you do a greenhouse, it would be cool to have plants that hurt you when you touch them.

Shadriss
11-05-2002, 08:23 AM
If he does the greenhouse??? /sarcastic voice/ Living in reality you are not!

People, as cool as a lot of this stuff would be, lets try to keep suggestions within the realm or possibility! Face it, , the castle itself is huge, and will in all probability take a good long while to finish. Anything OUTSIDE the castle would be, IMHO, overkill.

Of course, ,that's up to Anakin, but shall we trty to keep things "on the ground" for our suggestions? :)

Chewie Bakker
11-05-2002, 10:36 AM
If he does the greenhouse??? /sarcastic voice/ Living in reality you are not!

People, as cool as a lot of this stuff would be, lets try to keep suggestions within the realm or possibility! Face it, , the castle itself is huge, and will in all probability take a good long while to finish. Anything OUTSIDE the castle would be, IMHO, overkill.

Of course, ,that's up to Anakin, but shall we trty to keep things "on the ground" for our suggestions? :)

<SHRUG> I don't see how a greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility. It would be a simple room made of glass.

Not that I recall reading about a greenhouse in any of the Harry Potter books. Or is that where they took herbology class with Professor Sprout?

The grounds of Hogwarts may be a little "labour intensive" for the 'ole CPU. Still there are courtyards within the building... perhaps this greenhouse is within the castle.

Well, I'm tired now. I'm going to bed. Goodnight.

:gben: (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=81929&goto=newpost) The Force will be with you, always.

Eldritch
11-05-2002, 12:38 PM

<SHRUG> I don't see how a greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility. It would be a simple room made of glass.

The grounds of Hogwarts may be a little "labour intensive" for the 'ole CPU. Still there are courtyards within the building... perhaps this greenhouse is within the castle.

The greenhouse is outside of the realm of possibility because it's on the school grounds, not contained in the main school itself. That's it. Discussion over. :D

It is where they have Herbology, but according to the books it's not "attached" to the school - it's on the grounds somewhere. I'd rather have the focus on the school anyway, rather than the grounds.

Shadriss
11-05-2002, 04:08 PM
*does a victory dance*

Altus_Thrawn
11-05-2002, 05:11 PM
Reality over wish I guess...

I have another idea, if it has not already been done-since caulk is invisible ingame, you could make some caulk brushes as if the magic makes anybody who walks there not fall to the ground...

Eldritch
11-05-2002, 05:21 PM
LOL Shadriss...

Here's the skinny on my computer upgrading problem... when the motherboard was delievered, it was delievered minus the documentation for jumper/switch settings, where to hook up power cords, etc. It was also delievered minus the software CD with the drivers for the mobo. So, angrily (:mad:) I called them up and they apologized, "We're sending your stuff, we're sorry, we suck, yadi yada yoda." Not sure when I'm going to get that, but I hope it'll be soon. But if any of you have a manual for a SiS730S chipset let me know and I can get up and running faster. ;)

In the meantime what I'm going to do is put up the rough "map" of the castle I've been making for your approval... I'd really like to get some feedback on :

1) location - as some of you know, not every location in Hogwarts is known. Some are alluded to, and some haven't even been seen. So let me know if you think locations are good or if they need to be changed.

2) placement - slightly different from location... let me know if things are too close together, too far apart, or if things just don't look right (hard to tell from a diagram, but do your best :D).

3) Size - does it look too big? too small? Just right? Let me know.

4) Miscellaneous ideas - things you'd like to see (do not include grounds!)

That's it for now.

-Anakin

Chewie Bakker
11-06-2002, 11:29 PM
...how hard is it to make a room of glass?

Okay, it still can't be done because the grounds won't be included, but it is possible!

What am I arguing for? I'm not the one who wanted the greenhouse! :nut:

It will be interesting to see the final result of the map, though.

Eldritch
11-07-2002, 01:00 AM
...how hard is it to make a room of glass?

Okay, it still can't be done because the grounds won't be included, but it is possible!

What am I arguing for? I'm not the one who wanted the greenhouse! :nut:

It will be interesting to see the final result of the map, though.

If it was just a room of glass, it would be easy - and if it was attached to the castle, I'd put it in.

But look at a greenhouse. Any greenhouse. Really look at it. It's not just glass. The glass will usually have condensed water on it. And it's not just glass holding it up, there's also a frame. Not to mention the plants (which, in Hogwarts, aren't your usual array of daisies)... it could be a WIP all by itself. There's all kinds of things that would have to go into it to make it a convincing greenhouse.

Chewie Bakker
11-07-2002, 07:36 AM
True. The building itself wouldn't be too tricky, but there should've been condensation on the glass in all the Yavin maps and there isn't.

Too bad there's no greenhouse though. It'd be amusing to have a lightfight in a building that ends up just being a frame... :animelol:

Anyway, the greenhouse thing's just getting off-topic now...

What's going on with the map so far?

Altus_Thrawn
11-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Thank whatever God you believe for the bump.

nucular_jedi_14
11-10-2002, 01:17 PM
and yes it was professor sprout i think the bigger the map the cooler it will be, and btw mabye if you could make so secret areas that would own dude! btw you own as a map maker when u get through with this mabye u should make the World Quidditch Tourney in book 4 and your next map i wanna beta test dude.

Psynex
11-11-2002, 12:25 PM
Just wanted to drop some info that the new Chamber of Secrets game by EA is pretty! Hogwart's looks very very close to the movie. I'm watching the movie later tonight to compare, but the bedroom and common room look damn near identicle. It's a good reference and I saw it for PC at Target for $30. Though renting it for Gamecube is what I did and I have it for a week. That's enough time to grab numerous screenshots. You have to check out the lighting effects on the windows though...EA really made this game look magical. I haven't seen the dining hall yet though, and chances are (because of the story) I won't get to see the enchanted ceiling even if the dining hall is in the game.

Eldritch
11-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Ok, my scanner still isn't working so I had to take these shots with a digital camera, but the rough map for the Dungeon, 1st Floor and 2nd Floor is up on the site.

Altus_Thrawn
11-11-2002, 07:14 PM
Wow, I never thought over making sketches.

*slaps head with palm of hand*

Matt-Liell
11-14-2002, 07:55 PM
replied to your thread in the request forum!
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=910279#post910279

Psynex
11-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Could you somehow merge those 2 threads, or close one of them because this is getting confusing. I looked at the screenshots in the other thread and was bored at work so I made 3 tileable tile textures for you to use on the floor should you choose to do so. I'm no texture artist, but these didn't turn out too damn bad. I don't know if you can angle the...brush (is it called), to set the textures at that odd 45 degree angle like in the picture, but you should could rotate them on your own I'm sure.

Floor texture (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile.jpg)
Floor Texture 2 (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile02.jpg)
Floor Texture 3 (http://psynex-land.com/images/HW_Tile03.jpg)

Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 11:05 AM
u mean i could make textures, they r just jpg files ill make some for u Aru-Wen sound good?

Clemme w/Stick
11-17-2002, 02:15 PM
Well, looks pretty k00 to me!

I'm no Harry Potter fan, but still it looks pretty nice!!

-Clemme

Eldritch
11-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Yadu - Sounds great! I'd love to see what you come up with.

I'm still having problems with the comp I do my mapping on... I'm trying my best to get it fixed, but I've been in a customer service nightmare and am still waiting for answers. *sigh*

Matt-Liell
11-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Ok, well i have three textures done for u! I have a ceiling texture, a floor texture and a stained glass window texture! let me know if u like em and tell me what textures u still need! here is the page with the textures on them!

www.geocities.com/yaduskins/hogwarttextures

Psynex
11-18-2002, 11:30 AM
duu doo doom dom...I never wrote about the chamber of secrets! Awesome movie! (I'm not a fan of reading; sorry to any die-hard book fans out there) But I was never aware of the fireplace in the dining hall until I saw screenshots of the map and then I noticed it very clearly in this second movie. I also took a really good look at the enchanted ceilings in both movies and most of it is lighting tricks. You's have to place a bunch of blue lighting up in the rafters and then somehow make a fog that's more dense in some areas more then others (for clouds). I don't think a simple skymap and a shader will pull it off, but it's worth a try as well. That blue lighting absolutely needs to be there though.

In the chamber of secrets they also had the enchanted ceiling snowing in the winter time...it was awesome! The snow only fell down so far.

*EDIT*
Aru, I also edited my previous post that had the textures so there are actually 3 now.

Professor Snape
11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
sry u may have answered this alrdy, but are u putting dungons in the map. Or is it just going to be the main floor and up. Because the Slytherian house is in teh Dungons

Eldritch
11-21-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Professor Snape
sry u may have answered this alrdy, but are u putting dungons in the map. Or is it just going to be the main floor and up. Because the Slytherian house is in teh Dungons

There's the link to the webpage with all the screenshots. I'm well aware of the location of the Slytherin Domitories, and I've started preliminary sketches of the dungeon (as well as other parts of the castle) as I've got nothing but time until the 'puter gets fixed.

Matt-Liell
11-21-2002, 07:38 PM
can u use those textures i made?

nucular_jedi_14
11-25-2002, 11:52 AM
i have 2 say when this is done i'll be the first 2 d/l it.

Eldritch
12-02-2002, 12:59 PM
Ok, after a long hiatus (due to computer problems) work is back in full swing on Hogwarts. Expect new screenshots soon!

Psynex
12-03-2002, 11:20 PM
yippee! Congrats m8. Looking forward to it.

Pyro638
12-04-2002, 06:53 PM
C'mon now....Harry Potter in JO ? :snear: Well I am a little optimistic. If it is as big as the movies version....hehe then that'll be somthin to look at :D

Sounds cool g/l !

Taigan
12-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Not a really big fan of the potter thing but i saw hogwarts in the movies and for a map id get it,GJ man keep up the good work :P

Klorel
12-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Very cool idea. I think perhaps that a night setting would be a good idea, then you could "lock" a lot of the castle doors, and wouldn't have to worry about modelling the grounds (just need a really cool skybox). Also, are you planning on making the entire castle!? that would be huge... amazingly cool, but i doubt a lot of people would be able to run such a level. The duel of the fates level back in the day had a hard time running... then again you probably won't be showing as many polys as once as that level was, but anyhoo, its very cool. Definitelly support the moving stair idea-- and if you did it right you could make it so you wouldn't have to model a lot of the castle, just give the appearance of more castle. I think one of the most important aspects of this level will be the textures and lighting, so make sure you get those right. (and dont forget the dueling room from chamber of secrets... perfect for a lightsaber fight)
thats all I have to say about that (its not really, i just can't think of anything right now)
-Klorel

Eldritch
12-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Klorel,

I'm working as hard as I can to make sure that this map is as huge as it should be yet runs as smoothly as possible. Much of Hogwarts is hallways and won't have as much visible at one time as the original DoTF map, which makes it much easier to use things like area portals and hint brushes to increase the framerate.

And by the way, the "duel room" from Chamber of Secrets is in actuality the Great Hall, just with all but one of the tables and all of the benches removed. ;)

And as far as updates go... more screenshots soon when I really have something to show. WhiteShdw has sent me some excellent stuff that I'm incorporating into the map now. I'm also finalizing my drawings for map layout... it's really getting pretty big.

However, I'm still at a loss for how to create the "outside" effect of the ceiling in the Great Hall... if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Scouttrooper
12-08-2002, 04:19 PM
Cool cant wait for the new screenshots

Aru-Wen check you email :D ;)

Sith Infiltrator : 99 % almost done
Tie Interceptor : 99 % almost done
Eopie : 60 %
Hoth Lasercannon : 99 % almost done
NEW Gargoyle : 40 %
Snowtrooper : 85 %
Ponda Baba : 75 %

Oxygen Team (http://www.geocities.com/oxygenteammodellers/)

Eldritch
12-08-2002, 08:28 PM
Scouttrooper,

The pic you sent me looks great! The spirit is right, but there's a couple of things I could nitpick it about. I'm trying to find some better pics, but right now you've got it pretty close! :D

Psynex
12-09-2002, 11:50 AM
Aru: I posted a couple of posts reguarding the ceiling a while back, but I can repost my ideas here so you don't have to search. For starters, there needs to be a blue light source in between or on all of the rafters in the ceiling. In The Chamber of Secrets film you get an extended shot of the ceiling and I had your map in mind through the entire film.
The clouds could be done a couple of ways. You could create a light fog effect across the entire celieng and make a couple of planes to apply a cloud texture to for the more dense clouds, or you could try and create one big plane and apply a skymap texture that would be 50-65% transparent. The texture could be layered using a shader file to have stars underneath the moving clouds. ;) I liked how in The Chamber of Secrets they had snow falling from the ceiling, but that would surely slow things down on the map. I don't see a skymap being too much of a problem.

Eldritch
12-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Psynex
Aru: I posted a couple of posts reguarding the ceiling a while back, but I can repost my ideas here so you don't have to search. For starters, there needs to be a blue light source in between or on all of the rafters in the ceiling. In The Chamber of Secrets film you get an extended shot of the ceiling and I had your map in mind through the entire film.
The clouds could be done a couple of ways. You could create a light fog effect across the entire celieng and make a couple of planes to apply a cloud texture to for the more dense clouds, or you could try and create one big plane and apply a skymap texture that would be 50-65% transparent. The texture could be layered using a shader file to have stars underneath the moving clouds. ;) I liked how in The Chamber of Secrets they had snow falling from the ceiling, but that would surely slow things down on the map. I don't see a skymap being too much of a problem.

I remember your original post, Psynex. ;)
However, I don't remember if I responded, so I will definitely this time.

I'm in agreement with you on the blue lighting... most of Hogwarts (in the movies and games) has blue/orange lighting, which makes sense since so much is lit by fire. As for the rest of your idea... it sounds good, but I have absolutely NO idea how to create a shader like that. I'll ask WhiteShdw about it and see what he thinks.

In other news, I'm playing through the Chamber of Secrets PC game to round out the layout of Hogwarts. I'm almost done with the game, and this version looks much better than the Sorceror's Stone version...

Psynex
12-09-2002, 12:55 PM
I played part of the new game too and was enjoying it until the rental time was up. Then Mortal Kombat came my way and everything halted. As for the shader...I can do that much. I just need some textures and I can work one up.

Scouttrooper
12-13-2002, 04:47 PM
Aru Wen,

What must i change on the Gargoyle ? and how many versions do you want to have ?

Sith Infiltrator : 99 % (almost done)
Tie Interceptor : 100 % (released on www.pcgamemods.com)
Hoth Lasercannon : 99 % (almost done)
New Gargoyle : 60 %
Snowtrooper : 85 %
Ponda Baba : 75 %
Ysanne Isard : 50 %

Oxygen Team (http://www.geocities.com/oxygenteammodellers/)

Eldritch
12-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Aru Wen,

What must i change on the Gargoyle ? and how many versions do you want to have ?

Check your email for your answer. ;) Also sent a couple more reference pics.

Eldritch
12-19-2002, 11:05 PM
For anyone who thought this project was dead... there's 2 new screenshots to snack on at the website here. (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk) They're of the entrance hall. I'll be releasing some more shots soon - enjoy!

|[ Aru-Wen ]|

Matt-Liell
12-19-2002, 11:07 PM
I've been waiting for these updates for awhile now!;) glad to see my textures are working and being used!

Eldritch
12-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
glad to see my textures are working and being used!

I haven't actually found a place to use them [your textures] just yet, Matt. When I do, I'll be sure to note it so you can see how they work. ;) :D

Matt-Liell
12-20-2002, 02:56 PM
but what about the window and ceiling i see in those pics, those are the textures i sent u!

Eldritch
12-20-2002, 08:34 PM
Matt,

While you did send me textures similar to those, the ones that are being used in the screenshots are ones that I have provided myself. They just seemed to work better for me. As I said in my last reponse, if and when I use your textures, I will be sure to note it so that you can see them "in action," so to speak.

|[ Aru-Wen ]|

Wolfey
12-30-2002, 03:48 AM
The entrancehall is looking sweet, but it is so small, make it bigger, add some more lights and upload shots so mesa can se! :D
Hmm, i am gonna try to make the quiddich arena, cuz it looks so fun to begin mapping again. :)

Eldritch
12-30-2002, 07:40 AM
The entrance hall is much bigger than it appears. I'll have to throw in a 3rd person shot so you can see for yourself. Mapping, however, is on hold until I get back home on the 3rd of January. There will be some more updates then.

Matt-Liell
12-30-2002, 07:42 AM
Great work! :thumbsup: I've started mapping myslef Aru-Wen, its fun but alot of work and skill. I appreciate your skill much more now! (u can see my WIP here in the mapping showcase forum if u like!)

Eldritch
12-31-2002, 07:26 AM
Great work! :thumbsup: I've started mapping myslef Aru-Wen, its fun but alot of work and skill. I appreciate your skill much more now! (u can see my WIP here in the mapping showcase forum if u like!)

Thanks. I saw your map... not too bad for a first-timer. It gets easier the more you practice. Keep it up!

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 07:09 AM
Info update from the website:

==| Friday, January 3rd, 2003 |==

The map is moving along nicely - it's been held up a bit while I was on vacation, but is now back in full swing. Still need a couple of things though. The big one is the ceiling in the Great Hall... a couple people have made suggestions on how to do this, but I've had no luck implementing it. Whoever wants to help me out here would get a BIG thank you from me, as well as your name in the credits. ;) Scouttrouper has been working on some model gargoyles for the map, and they're looking pretty good. Another problem is the Owl torches... if I can't find someone to model it, I'll make it in Radiant. Also could use a couple of "gothic" looking torches if anyone feels up to it. As usual, if you're interested in helping, email me here (chrisjahosky@cfl.rr.com).

Wolfey
01-03-2003, 09:03 AM
Welcome back Aru ;)
I'll be happy to help you with the map! I'm a sorta newb to mapping tho, never tryed in something like this big before if u se what I mean.
One more thing. If you can tell me how to bend things and such in Radiant, I would be pleased!

Cheerso Wolfey (jkz_wolfe@hotmail.com)

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Wolfey
Welcome back Aru ;)
I'll be happy to help you with the map! I'm a sorta newb to mapping tho, never tryed in something like this big before if u se what I mean.
One more thing. If you can tell me how to bend things and such in Radiant, I would be pleased!

Cheerso Wolfey (jkz_wolfe@hotmail.com)
What are you trying to bend? And what way are you trying to bend it? Or maybe you could just tell me what you're trying to do. ;)

Aru-Wen

Shadriss
01-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Attack of the Killer Patch Meshes! :)

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 06:34 PM
:lol: LOL Shadriss!

Didn't you have to use like 12 patch meshes for each platform in the generator room in DoTF version 2?

Shadriss
01-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Actually, I managed to trim it from *16* to 4 each. I learned more about curve adaptation from that room and the Pit room to last me a LIFETIME.

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 06:43 PM
I shudder just thinking about working 4 patch meshes, let alone 16. I haven't really hit a need for patch meshing, although I'm thinking i'm going to give it a shot for some nice curtains for some of the windows in Hogwarts.

Say, you heard of a glossy floor shader? I think Dad*Mad used one in Palace Wars, and I'm thinking of using it in a couple of places to save the framerate, but I can't seem to find it (or any info on it). You heard of anything?

Shadriss
01-03-2003, 06:46 PM
It'sall over the place in DOTF2. Mostly in the forcefield corridor and pit rooms. Whiteshdw did the shaders of course, but that's the effect they are referring to.

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Ah, so that's what it is. White made it, eh? Any objections to me using it?

Shadriss
01-03-2003, 06:57 PM
Personally, I dont care. Of course, you'll have to figure out which ones actually have it. You may want to ask White about it though - he spent all the time on them, after all.

Eldritch
01-03-2003, 07:01 PM
I may not even be able to use any of them, but it's nice to know I can if I need to. Really what I'd like is to take a look at White's shader code and see if I can replicate it, so i'll ask him... wouldn't want him to think I'm ripping him off or something. Thanks Shad.

Shadriss
01-03-2003, 07:02 PM
Here to support. Speaking of which, I havent seen your name pop up on my WIP thread at all, that I can recall. What gives, eh? No helpful feeedback? :)

Wolfey
01-04-2003, 01:46 AM
Heh, never mind bout that bending...
Anyway, is there any updates, or have u been busy at this...conversation?
And btw, Shad, change your sig! :D

Eldritch
01-04-2003, 05:47 AM
Here to support. Speaking of which, I havent seen your name pop up on my WIP thread at all, that I can recall. What gives, eh? No helpful feeedback? :)

Now I *know* you're not talking about the Resort WIP, so you must be talking about Deception, eh? ;)
I have been following it, but most of the thread (until recently) was... outside of my realm of expertise, shall we say? I really don't know anything about scripting, plot writing, character development, etc. Your ideas sound good, and I'd most definitely play it though. I also think that the screenshots look promising. I'll be sure to chime in more regularly from now on, I promise. ;) :D

Eldritch
01-05-2003, 01:27 PM
*Update*

Put together a custom sky (finally) and used it in the Great Hall for effect. Also put in WhiteShdw's great window texture. 3 new screenshots are up at the website here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).

Wolfey
01-05-2003, 02:57 PM
Mmm, very nice! Is there anyway to make fog of custom textures? Cuz that is needed.

Eldritch
01-07-2003, 06:22 PM
*Update*

Just added 3 new screenshots to the website... played with the lighting, put in all the windows, and put in the lamps. Also started the hallway to the dungeons (to the left of the stairs). Here's the link (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).

Also have decided to start selecting beta testers, as the beta stage is right around the corner. See the beta testing forum for details!

Eldritch
01-08-2003, 04:38 PM
~Yawn~

Feedback on the map has slowed considerably, so these will probably be the last screenshots for a while (unless someone objects). The map is still being worked on, but I see no need to keep creating screenshots if no one wants to see them.

New screenshots at the usual place here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).

Eldritch
01-08-2003, 04:40 PM
~Yawn~

Feedback on the map has slowed considerably, so these will probably be the last screenshots for a while (unless someone objects). The map is still being worked on, but I see no need to keep creating screenshots if no one wants to see them.

New screenshots at the usual place here (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk).

wedge2211
01-08-2003, 04:53 PM
I think it looks neat. The colored lighting in the later shots really adds to the atmosphere, great job. I can't wait to see what other sorts of details you can pull out in the great hall.

If it helps, I specified in my City of the Ancients readme that other mappers may use my custom textures, so if you need some brick/sand/mud/adobe-like textures, feel free. CotA only needs to be posted on jkii.net...

Klorel
01-09-2003, 10:54 AM
I Really like what you did on the texturing for that dome cieling. As far as screenshots go, maybe don't post as many, unless you make something we really haven't seen yet, but don't stop working on the project all together though, without the pressure to make screenshots this is easy to happen. One more thing i'd like to add is that the wall texture seems to repeat too often and too obviosly, perhaps try a larger texture with less contrast? just an observation I made, good luck to you.

-Klorel

Eldritch
01-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Klorel
I Really like what you did on the texturing for that dome cieling. As far as screenshots go, maybe don't post as many, unless you make something we really haven't seen yet, but don't stop working on the project all together though, without the pressure to make screenshots this is easy to happen. One more thing i'd like to add is that the wall texture seems to repeat too often and too obviosly, perhaps try a larger texture with less contrast? just an observation I made, good luck to you.

First of all, thank you for the crits. Second, as far as your screenshots comment goes... i'm way ahead of you. Those are going to be the last screenshots for a while. I think initially I did it because when seeing WIP I always like to see as much as possible, but I think enough is enough.
I want to stress that although there will not be as many screenshots, work IS continuing on Hogwarts. I might just post one when someone requests it.
I do agree with you on the wall texture, but please realize the map is not done yet - there will be a significant amount of alcoves and recessions that will be placed in the walls which should serve to break it up. If I think it still looks like it's repeating too much after that, then I'll change the texture itself or explore other options.
Thanks again for your comments, Klorel. BTW, how is Mace doing?

WhiteShdw
01-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Nice pics. One problem though, it looks like you applied the glass shader on both sides of your brush. This is not necesarry. I made the shader to show on both sides of the surface it's applied to. So you can just caulk the rest of the brush.:D

Eldritch
01-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by WhiteShdw
Nice pics. One problem though, it looks like you applied the glass shader on both sides of your brush. This is not necesarry. I made the shader to show on both sides of the surface it's applied to. So you can just caulk the rest of the brush.:D

Yeah, I realized that immediately and fixed it. The rest of the windows are done correctly. Thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway, though. :D

Eldritch
01-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Added some more today. As of now, 3 of the 6 doors/hallways that lead from the Entrance Hall to various parts of the castle have been put in. No snags so far, but a couple of questions :

1. Does anyone know of a good tutorial on hint brushes? I don't need them yet, but I'm sure I will eventually, and there is a lack of a good tutorial for them.

2. Does anyone have (or seen) something that could work as a candle flame? I don't think that any of the fx_runners would work... i'm wondering about some kind of flare or shader, but I just don't know.

Help/crits/suggestions are always appreciated. Thanks.

SunBurN
01-10-2003, 02:07 PM
Looking pretty good! I don't know if this has been suggested yet, but if you have an xbox, GC or PS2, (I think they have it for PC too) rent or buy Harry potter and the chanber of secrets. EA did a really good job of recreating the the entire school from inside out including the outside grounds to the forest where you fight Aragog (the spider). You could use the game as a reference for your map. Just a thought.

Also, It'd be cool too if someone could make a mod to go with this so you can fly around on the broom. Well just my two cents...keep up the great work!

SunBurN

Klorel
01-10-2003, 02:37 PM
OOOOOOO a Harry Potter MOD... thats something worth looking into. Good for this game too just change a lot of the force powers for spells and such, and the grappling hook addition could be modified even further to make it work like a broom stick, kind of a modification of No Clip (Me and my brother us it in moriaII to swing around like spiderman between pillars outmanuevering seeking rockets... you should all try it sometime). And the weapons could be modified to be a broomstick, Wand, Beater stick, or other stuff like floo powder (haven't read it in a while, so apologize for spelling) to transport you to random places in the map or something. Just some creative ramblings.

back on topic:
True Aru-Wen, other brushes would help to break up the repeating texture effect... good call.
I don't know how much help these will be but:
here are some shader tutorials:
http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials.shtml
http://quake3.qeradiant.com/tutorials.shtml
And the bottom of this page says something about hint brushes, although my brother (altimira) is more of a modeller than me and might know more about it:
http://www.qeradiant.com/manual/Q3Rad_Manual/ch05/pg5_1.htm#brusheff

and Aru-Wen, as for my mace, he's going well. I actually have a little bit I want to add to the model itself just to make it... cooler :D and I've been working on alternate skins for him as well. He's in game already and seems to animate just fine, but i'm going back to school on sunday and well... 20 credits doesn't leave much free time, but I will finish it sometime soon.
Even more off topic is how do you get the "GREEN" glow around your name? I want a blue glow around mine... that would be cool... how do I go about doing that.

-Klorel

wedge2211
01-10-2003, 05:38 PM
One of the yavin models is of a little yellow flickering torch thingy...you could maybe use that...

And there's a dynamic light option to make the light flicker like a candle, right?

Eldritch
01-10-2003, 08:58 PM
SunBurN - I already have Chamber of Secrets for the PC and have hundreds of reference shots. It's a great reference source, as you said. I will be putting in the grounds only if the rest of the castle doesn't eat up all the space. If the stage is too big, no one will play it. :( It'd be great for SP, though.

and Aru-Wen, as for my mace, he's going well. I actually have a little bit I want to add to the model itself just to make it... cooler and I've been working on alternate skins for him as well. He's in game already and seems to animate just fine, but i'm going back to school on sunday and well... 20 credits doesn't leave much free time, but I will finish it sometime soon.

Thanks for the links and suggestions, Klorel. A Harry Potter mod sounds good, but I lack the modeling/coding skills to make it a reality. Perhaps a staff could get it together? And 'floo powder' is the correct spelling, so your memory is still good. ;) Glad to hear your Mace is going well. 20 credits is quite a full load of courses - I'm only taking 15 this semester, but I'm also working full time, so...
As for the glowing usernames, you can get them in any color once you purchase the right to use them. You can buy the ability at the new Lucasforums Store (check the stuck Admin thread at the top of every forum for more details on this) - it's a steal at only 300 points (that's what the new 'Points' thing is for beneath your Post count).

Originally posted by wedge2211
One of the yavin models is of a little yellow flickering torch thingy...you could maybe use that...

And there's a dynamic light option to make the light flicker like a candle, right?

Wedge, the Yavin model does have a little flickering torch, but it would stick out like a sore thumb here - it just doesn't go. There is a dynamic light option for flickering candle light, but I don't really like working with dynamic lights (they really kill fps). All I want is a simple looking shader or something that looks like a little candle flame because there are lots of candle sticks at Hogwarts...

Altus_Thrawn
01-10-2003, 11:34 PM
looking very good...nice detail work.

Eldritch
01-11-2003, 01:44 AM
I'm glad you like it, Altus. :D

Eldritch
01-13-2003, 03:06 AM
*Yawn* I've got to stop staying up mapping until 2am. :p

The map is progressing... i've just finished the hallway(s) connecting the Entrance Hall to the Great Hall (sure seem to be a lot of Halls/hallways in this place, eh?). Next I'll be working on the hallways to the Grand Staircase area, which is pretty much the center of the castle, and will contain all the various entrances to the different floors/areas/whatever you want to call them. Still haven't figured out a way to get the stairways to move, but I'm still testing out ideas.
Would anyone be opposed to me using fixed staircases in the event I can't get them to move convincingly?

After the hallway(s) to the Grand Staircase are completed and I throw in basic bot support, beta testing on this section will start. Should be sometime later this week.

Chewie Bakker
01-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
*Yawn* I've got to stop staying up mapping until 2am. :p

The map is progressing... i've just finished the hallway(s) connecting the Entrance Hall to the Great Hall (sure seem to be a lot of Halls/hallways in this place, eh?). Next I'll be working on the hallways to the Grand Staircase area, which is pretty much the center of the castle, and will contain all the various entrances to the different floors/areas/whatever you want to call them. Still haven't figured out a way to get the stairways to move, but I'm still testing out ideas.
Would anyone be opposed to me using fixed staircases in the event I can't get them to move convincingly?

After the hallway(s) to the Grand Staircase are completed and I throw in basic bot support, beta testing on this section will start. Should be sometime later this week.

The Hogwarts map (http://www.hogwarts-wip.tk/) is looking NICE, Aru-Wen! I have faith in you: You should be able to get those staircases to move, but I won't be too let down if they don't. IT's lookin' really great! :D

:wan: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/)

Keep it up!

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.

Klorel
01-13-2003, 12:02 PM
If you figure out how to get staircases to move like the movie let some Coders know so they might be able to implement that into a SWINGING door mod, Cause most places people model would look much better with swinging doors, and its a shame that wasn't built-in in the first place. If you could trigger the stairs to move that would be cool too, but random movement would be more movie like I suppose. good luck.

-Klorel

wedge2211
01-13-2003, 03:25 PM
You could always just use func_usables to make them disappear and reappear. Or func_doors to make them move in straight lines.

Eldritch
01-13-2003, 08:43 PM
If you figure out how to get staircases to move like the movie let some Coders know so they might be able to implement that into a SWINGING door mod, Cause most places people model would look much better with swinging doors, and its a shame that wasn't built-in in the first place. If you could trigger the stairs to move that would be cool too, but random movement would be more movie like I suppose. good luck.

-Klorel

Wudan has already written the code for swinging doors... anyone interested in it should ask him about it. My regular version of Hogwarts will not feature swinging doors, but the Saga version of the map will. That said, I can't use the 'swinging' code for the staircases because it would require the map to be played as a mod, and I'm not aiming for that with the regular release, so I'm searching to find a way around it.

You could always just use func_usables to make them disappear and reappear. Or func_doors to make them move in straight lines.

I could... but the problem is that the staircases at Hogwarts rotate rather than move in straight lines, and I'd rather have them not move then move incorrectly. I wish it was that simple, though. :p

Klorel
01-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Well I've seen some maps and models include modifications with their stuff, like hilts and what not, is it possible to include the swinging door with your map and just have it automatically recognize that this is what it does? I know people don't usually like things that are extra and included that they didn't intend to download, but for this circumstance I think it would be worth it. Just a thought.

-Klorel

Eldritch
01-13-2003, 09:15 PM
It might be. It might not be. As you said, most folks don't like the extra stuff - they like to know exactly what they're downloading. If I can't figure out a way to get the stairs moving, then I might ask Wudan what can be done.

As I said, though... the Saga version will definitely feature 'swinging' doors (and possibly stairs).

Matt-Liell
01-13-2003, 09:51 PM
Nice Updates! :thumbsup:

wedge2211
01-14-2003, 12:02 AM
I recall in the books the staircases just "changed," its only int he movies that they rotated. Artisitc license!

Eldritch
01-14-2003, 01:13 AM
I recall in the books the staircases just "changed," its only int he movies that they rotated. Artisitc license!

:lol: Artistic license is the easy way out, Wedge. ;)

While the book does only say that the staircases "change," the map is based on the movie and the books. I happen to prefer the way the staircases are depicted in the movie, so, naturally, I would try and make them that way.

Chewie Bakker
01-14-2003, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
:lol: Artistic license is the easy way out, Wedge. ;)

While the book does only say that the staircases "change," the map is based on the movie and the books. I happen to prefer the way the staircases are depicted in the movie, so, naturally, I would try and make them that way.

That's a good point. Another one would be that the changing stairs wouldn't really effect a game of JK2 when they can probably over come with a level 3 (perhaps even level 2) Force jump.

Still, it's attention to detail that made the masters great masters.

:gben: (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/) The Force will be with you, always.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 12:00 AM
That's a good point. Another one would be that the changing stairs wouldn't really effect a game of JK2 when they can probably over come with a level 3 (perhaps even level 2) Force jump.

Ah... you'd like to think that, wouldn't you? :p

wedge2211
01-15-2003, 01:50 AM
Yeah, and I suppose if they just disappear and reappear and one happens to reappear in the exact same location as a player...that could get rather gruesome...

Aru, just curious, are any of the CotA textures useful? The wood ones might be especially nice to have, I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of bricks, though.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 02:25 AM
Yeah, and I suppose if they just disappear and reappear and one happens to reappear in the exact same location as a player...that could get rather gruesome...

Aru, just curious, are any of the CotA textures useful? The wood ones might be especially nice to have, I'm afraid I don't have much in the way of bricks, though.

Very gruesome. :D

To tell you the truth, Wedge, I haven't had a chance to look thru the texture files in the CotA pk3, but I've been meaning to. If I find something I can use, I'll be sure to let you know.

And now, just because I feel like it... a screenshot of a place you haven't seen yet - specifically, part of the hallway leading to the Great Hall.
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0025.jpg

Those of you who've been following from the beginning might remember the torches in the next screenshot. Here they are, redesigned slightly and updated with new textures.
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0026.jpg

And here's part of the hallway leading to the Grand Staircase...
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/shot0027.jpg

Enjoy!

Shadriss
01-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Nice looking work, Aru. "Attention, Mappers : Due to rececnt good usage of curves, the patch meshes have been relocated from the 3rd Level of hell to the 1st. And we grrumble at the fact thaty we had to move it."

Can't wait to see what you come up with for DECEPTION.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Nice looking work, Aru. "Attention, Mappers : Due to rececnt good usage of curves, the patch meshes have been relocated from the 3rd Level of hell to the 1st. And we grrumble at the fact thaty we had to move it."

Can't wait to see what you come up with for DECEPTION.

:lol: Wait, does that mean that the patch meshes are more evil, or less evil? ;)

I'm still sketching out ideas for Deception, Shadriss. Hopefully I should have something for you to look at next week.

Klorel
01-15-2003, 03:54 PM
That texturing and lighting is incredible... (your name i mean :D )

seriously though, did you use multi-layer texturing or something? cause I was going to recomend you do to break up the textures, plus it just looks good, but it appears that whatever you did worked beautifully... this map gets a 10 based on texturing alone.

-Klorel

wedge2211
01-15-2003, 04:10 PM
The textures on the arches look stretched, though. At the top, they're full-size, but at the bottom, they get squished into a point. (I didn't know there were black holes in Hogwarts...) You might try re-doing the custom texture so that you can use the "cap" option instead of the "natural" option on those patches, it might look better.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 04:14 PM
That texturing and lighting is incredible... (your name i mean :D )

Heh, thanks. :p I just got it last night.

seriously though, did you use multi-layer texturing or something? cause I was going to recomend you do to break up the textures, plus it just looks good, but it appears that whatever you did worked beautifully... this map gets a 10 based on texturing alone.

-Klorel

Multi-layer texturing? Nope. But there are quite a few textures in this map. I've got to cut some from the pk3 that I'm not using anymore, but as of right now, the textures account for about half of the file size (which stands right now at about 11 MB). I figure after I cut it down and add the rest of the beta, it'll be about 10 MB. I'm glad you like it. There are some areas I still have to break up, though... and of course, the beta testers should be giving me feedback on what else could be improved/changed/reworked.

I'm hoping to get the map out to the beta testers by Friday so they'll have the weekend to try it out, and if all goes well the map will be released as a duel/smallish FFA open beta sometime next week.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 04:19 PM
The textures on the arches look stretched, though. At the top, they're full-size, but at the bottom, they get squished into a point. (I didn't know there were black holes in Hogwarts...) You might try re-doing the custom texture so that you can use the "cap" option instead of the "natural" option on those patches, it might look better.

I'm working on it, Wedge. :) I don't like them how they are now either... until I get a fix, though, they're just in there to see how it goes with the rest of the map.

Wudan
01-15-2003, 04:21 PM
Use bumpmaps to add a little extra "nicey-nicey" touch to your map.

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Use bumpmaps to add a little extra "nicey-nicey" touch to your map.

:confused: Are 'bumpmaps' exactly what they sound like? :confused:

What are they and how would I go about using them?

Matt-Liell
01-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Youch, that made my eyes hurt, the sheer beauty and skill of that map inflicts pain! You should put a warning in the readme that you might faint over the awsome skill shown in the map!:p :thumbsup:

Eldritch
01-15-2003, 11:29 PM
Youch, that made my eyes hurt, the sheer beauty and skill of that map inflicts pain! You should put a warning in the readme that you might faint over the awsome skill shown in the map!:p :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments, Matt. Feedback in any form is always appreciated. I will be putting a note in the Readme, but it will be about the location of the weapons/health/armor pickups. I was planning on putting some of the regular powerups and lower powered guns (like the 25 health/armor and the bowcaster/blaster) in locations that are not too noticeable yet still in the open... like behind a column or something. Then I was planning on putting the more powerful weapons (Repeater, Rocket Launcher, etc) in the secret/hidden passage areas... I wanted to do it because a better knowledge/exploration of Hogwarts would yield more powerful stuff, sort of like how in the movies the dangerous/powerful things are hidden or protected in remote parts of the castle. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Shadriss
01-16-2003, 12:07 AM
Now THAT idea has a lot of merit. WOuld keep the missile whoreing to a minimum, really. Good idea.

Eldritch
01-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Thanks. Glad you like it.

For CTF, I was also toying with the idea of using the Gryffindor (the good house) Common Room as the Blue Team Flag location, and the Slytherin (the bad house) Common Room as the Red Team Flag location. The only problem is that the Slytherin common room's entrance is a wall in the dungeon that looks exactly like the rest of the wall, and Gryffindor's is a large painting, which seems to be a lot more obvious. Perhaps I could use something to indicate the Slytherin entrance - anyone have any bright ideas on what it could be?

wedge2211
01-16-2003, 01:58 AM
Put a gargoyle/torch/column/statue on either side of it.

Eldritch
01-16-2003, 02:08 AM
Not a bad idea. Scouttrooper is working on some gargoyles for me, so I'll see if any of them could work when it's all said and done.

Klorel
01-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Or maybe you could put a snake seal on the floor in front of the secret entrance or something?I kind of like the challenge of finding the secret entrance, its different from the flag just being obvious. Would you have to do anything special to open the door? maybe an auto open would be good enough, but I'd rather you make it harder to get into both bases like it is in the book, but something with a snake is the way to go in my opinion. maybe you even have to go stand on the snake for the door to open, then run as fast as you can before it closes (like in the sp level where you get your saber) and do a different challenge for gryfindor.... I think that would be best. Also, will you be modelling Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms? that would be a fun place to go as well, also a good neutral spawing point.

-Klorel

Scouttrooper
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
well here is one shot of two gargoyles where i working on:

http://scouttrooper1.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gargoylesforaru2.jpg

Eldritch
01-16-2003, 03:15 PM
Or maybe you could put a snake seal on the floor in front of the secret entrance or something?I kind of like the challenge of finding the secret entrance, its different from the flag just being obvious. Would you have to do anything special to open the door? maybe an auto open would be good enough, but I'd rather you make it harder to get into both bases like it is in the book, but something with a snake is the way to go in my opinion. maybe you even have to go stand on the snake for the door to open, then run as fast as you can before it closes (like in the sp level where you get your saber) and do a different challenge for gryfindor.... I think that would be best. Also, will you be modelling Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms? that would be a fun place to go as well, also a good neutral spawing point.

I wasn't planning on the door being auto-open... you'd have to know where it is and press the 'use' button (like an invisible door switch)... but maybe I could incorporate your idea like this : I could have a snake something that would be the switch that would open the door, then you'd have to run to get thru the door before it closes. For Slytherin, something with snakes is the only way to go.
Not sure how to make Gryffindor more challenging, as it's only a painting... any thoughts?
As for the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff rooms... I have no idea where they are or what they look like, but I might brainstorm and see what I can come up with.
Off Topic : The next Harry Potter book arrives June 21st!

well here is one shot of two gargoyles where i working on:

http://scouttrooper1.tripod.com/sit...ylesforaru2.jpg

The Raven looks great, Scout! How're the Lion, Badger, and Snake coming along?
Oh, and the extra Dragon one you're making doesn't have to be holding that torch thing - I don't want you to go thru any more trouble than you have to. Only the Raven, Lion, Badger and Snake have to be holding the torch.

Scouttrooper
01-16-2003, 05:53 PM
about the gargoyles,

im going to test the raven and dragon ingame tomorow, and next i go make the snake and the other ones,... i think all will be done on monday (dunno for sure)

about betatesting ,

if it is more then 10 mb send it to ----
ill check everything on that level ; texture,sounds,models, etc etc everything :)

Eldritch
01-16-2003, 06:23 PM
about the gargoyles,

im going to test the raven and dragon ingame tomorow, and next i go make the snake and the other ones,... i think all will be done on monday (dunno for sure)

about betatesting ,

if it is more then 10 mb send it to j.lubbers9@chello.nl
ill check everything on that level ; texture,sounds,models, etc etc everything :)

Sweet! :)

I'll be sending it to that email address, then. There are no models in it yet... everything has been made in Radiant.

Eldritch
01-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Unfortunately, due to college and work (mostly work) I was not able to get the map to a point where I wanted to send it to the beta testers (was aiming for today... err, yesterday now). I hope to get it to them at some point over this weekend. This shouldn't affect the release of the open beta too much - it'll probably be next weekend at the latest.

PaDDyWanD
01-18-2003, 02:02 AM
I've been away from the game for several, several, several....a long time. This all sounds great. I was very startled to see that interest in the jkII community has decreased so greatly. I would love to get back to playing again....only one problem....who's using what mod's and what do i need to get to get going again. Had to do a new install after all those months of downtime and now i'm lost......HELP!!!!!

Just send me an email no need to tie up the thread!

Eldritch
01-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Err... are you sure you meant to post here? I think you'd have more luck finding answers posting your message in Valley of the Jedi or Yoda's Swamp.

I'm not too sure what mods are popular these days - I don't play with mods... just wondering why you chose my thread in the Mapping Showcase to ask this question. :confused:

Altus_Thrawn
01-19-2003, 11:10 AM
looking good once again, nice detail.

this will definitly be played alot. have you decided on how to do the doors yet?