PDA

View Full Version : Ranking System

Skuttle24
10-22-2002, 08:38 PM
Does anyone else agree with me when I say that this forum doesn't need to have a ranking system, especially one based on the number of posts. I mean, isn't it a bit discouraging to new members to be called Bantha Fodder? Wouldn't you rather have like 48 high quality posts, rather than thousands of spam posts? In fact, i'm willing to bet that the leading cause of spam is to advance in rank faster.

Anyone out there agree with me?

Tyrion
10-22-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Skuttle24
Does anyone else agree with me when I say that this forum doesn't need to have a ranking system, especially one based on the number of posts. I mean, isn't it a bit discouraging to new members to be called Bantha Fodder? Wouldn't you rather have like 48 high quality posts, rather than thousands of spam posts? In fact, i'm willing to bet that the leading cause of spam is to advance in rank faster.

Anyone out there agree with me?

I am not at liberty to say...

*points to Boba Rhett with the ban-a-spammer flag*

gorganfloss
10-22-2002, 08:45 PM
I like the ranking system...now that I have a custom title, that is.

Taos
10-22-2002, 08:46 PM
I agree with some of what you are saying............I just think that ranks are a neccessary evil. In just about everything else you will do in your life, you have a certain rank (position). Why should LF be any different?????

Sivy
10-22-2002, 08:49 PM
I couldn't care less really,

btw Skuttle24, the porky dude in your avatar is wearing lipstick

JandoFett1842
10-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Ranking helps disginguish people, if you have a low rank/post cound, it donsnt mean your a noob, cuz you cna have better things 2 say than a person with 2573 posts! (joke there, lol)

Tyrion
10-22-2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by JandoFett1842
Ranking helps disginguish people, if you have a low rank/post cound, it donsnt mean your a noob, cuz you cna have better things 2 say than a person with 2573 posts! (joke there, lol)

2574, jackass.

:D

ForceElf
10-22-2002, 09:25 PM
I like the ranking system but no really slightly putdown titles such as Bantha Fodder.

obi
10-22-2002, 09:32 PM
Well these ranks are good. We used to have a user-to-user ranking system.

LIke, user could vote another user 3 or 4 or 5 stars, etc.

The more stars you had, the more special you were, i guess. It was sort of stupid, so they got rid of it.

gorganfloss
10-22-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Well these ranks are good. We used to have a user-to-user ranking system.

LIke, user could vote another user 3 or 4 or 5 stars, etc.

The more stars you had, the more special you were, i guess. It was sort of stupid, so they got rid of it.

lol
I would have like .5 stars.:p

obi
10-22-2002, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by gorganfloss

lol
I would have like .5 stars.:p

I did every day :cool:

The trools back then usually got 0 stars :p

Reb Starblazer
10-22-2002, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't you rather have like 48 high quality posts, rather than thousands of spam posts? In fact, i'm willing to bet that the leading cause of spam is to advance in rank faster.

The leading cause of spam is to advance in rank faster.

Truer words were never spoken my friend:D

I don't mind the ranking system, but I don't love it either. I wouldn't miss it if it were removed, but I would notice that it was gone. I'm all for keeping it though. It'll make reaching 1000 posts someday and having a custom title so much sweeter...

Chewbacco
10-22-2002, 11:19 PM
I like Ranks. It is an incentive to post alot. And after a thousand posts, you get to name your own rank.:)

Ratmjedi
10-22-2002, 11:22 PM
I think it tells how involved a person is even if most of it is spam. The custom title isn't so bad either. Just my $0.02
:lsduel: :duel:

Tyrion
10-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13

I did every day :cool:

The trools back then usually got 0 stars :p

I dont want to know what I would've gotten...

Rogue Nine
10-23-2002, 12:46 AM
I'd be up for a revamping of the rank system.

Taos
10-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
I'd be up for a revamping of the rank system.

Interesting......how would you do it?? I mean how would you structure it????

Rogue Nine
10-23-2002, 12:57 AM
I wanna make tons of changes. Fix the system so that "degrading" ranks like Bantha Fodder and the like are replaced with something more suitable. Install board mods in the RP forums that don't count posts there.

And a few other things...like public caning for spamming....things like that.

GonkH8er
10-23-2002, 02:16 AM
I'll bring it up at the next meeting... :)

Tyrion
10-23-2002, 02:21 AM
Some ideas for the titles.

0-50 Bantha
50 - 100 Gonk
100 - 150 Sith probe
150 - 200 Battle droid
200 - 250 Ewok
250 - 300 Gungan
300 - 350 Wookie
350 - 400 Wampa
400 - 450 Rebel
450 -500 Stormtrooper
500 - 600 Yasalimy(or whatever they are called)
600 - 700 Sith
700 - 800 Jedi
800 - 900 Sith Master
900 - 1000 Jedi Master

:)

GonkH8er
10-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Nah, I say we change "banned" to gonk...

as if a gonk's better than a bantha

banthas r tuff:D

Boba Rhett
10-23-2002, 02:34 AM
"gonked"

I'd miss Bantha Fodder if we got rid of it. :(

Taos
10-23-2002, 02:44 AM
I agree with what Chewbacco was saying.......rank and posts are good because they "encourage" staying active in LF once you join.

I know for me, once I joined and got things down better, I was on LF much more trying to get involved and check out different things. I wanted to change my rank and once I figured out what a n00b was, I decided that I didn't want to be that anymore (thanks Rhett ;) I'm still workin' on it). So

I have learned much in my short time here and I expect to keep on learning because as long as they don't take away my cpu, well, I'll be around. :D

Datheus
10-23-2002, 04:05 AM
They are the root of evil... I like to think all my posts have quality... whether you agree with me or not is your problem.

Ranks and post counts don't show opinion or wit... They just infer you know what you're talking about...

Darklighter
10-23-2002, 08:50 AM
Well, people who do spam to raise their post count, and are noticed for it, do get considerable punishment (e.g. post count reduction)...people really shouldn't take it that seriously, but I guess when it comes down to it everyone wants a high post count:(I don't know which option to choose, so I clicked on the space in between the two answers;)

PhantomHelix
10-23-2002, 08:53 AM
lol.....did the poll work then? :lol:

but seriously, i like the rankings. they show you that you have posted a certain number of times, which trains you to be a better poster over time, and it shows you what level of posting you have......i dunno, i like having ranks.

Pad
10-23-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
I wanna make tons of changes. Fix the system so that "degrading" ranks like Bantha Fodder and the like are replaced with something more suitable. Install board mods in the RP forums that don't count posts there.

And a few other things...like public caning for spamming....things like that.

maybe thats a good idea.

its a tough calling about he ranking sysytem.
first as teemu said. it keeps ppl active on the forums.
but second it could evolve to spam.

maybe something like darky said is good. too much spam = decreasing of post count.

as for me, i dont care less on my post count now. when i want to reply ill do it. when i dont want to do it or i dont know anything good to post ill keep my mouth shut instead of saying "i agree" "hmmm" "...."

Hekx
10-23-2002, 10:05 AM
I like the ranks at these forums. It's nice to have variety on each different forums. But of course Sith Probe Droid is 1337.
Might take me a few years, but eventually I will gain the title of 'Ewok Hairdresser'. I can only hope and wait. :)

C'jais
10-23-2002, 12:02 PM
I'm all for a custom title at...

*50 posts*

Yes, you read me right.

Why? Because it encourages people to stay. When they get confronted with the goal of making 1000 posts in order to do a friggin' custom title, they either spam, or leave.

If not 200, then at the most 2-300.

Besides, how much does a custom title matter? :D :lol:

Eldritch
10-23-2002, 12:07 PM
While many people do spam to increase their post count, there are also a lot of people out there with a lot to say (like me; just look at how many posts i've had since I registered in Sep) who don't spam.

I think if you want to keep spam down, report it when you see it. That keeps the spammers out for the most part, and leaves the forum to the rest of us who follow the rules.

PhantomHelix
10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
we def gotta keep bantha fodder....thats a classic.

Mex
10-23-2002, 02:34 PM
Maaaake, custom title at 100 posts pleeeeeeease! 1-10 bantha fodder 10-20 Gonk, so on :P

C'jais
10-23-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by M____Omaister
Maaaake, custom title at 100 posts pleeeeeeease! 1-10 bantha fodder 10-20 Gonk, so on :P

Oooh... you'd like that, wouldn't you? naughty boy :naughty:

Seriously though, I couldn't care less about the custom title - why not just make it selectable right from the beginning?

Pleases everyone anyway, IMHO.

PhantomHelix
10-23-2002, 02:47 PM
much as you want it to change, it shouldn't it gives ppl a goal to complete. besides, you gotta work hard and be dedicated to gain your custom title, and if you only post 100 times, you wouldn't be very dedicated......btw, for ppl with 1000+ posts, how would you change your title? do you have to contact an admin or mod, or is there a new option under user cp that you can do......

obi
10-23-2002, 02:52 PM
You can change it whenever you want under a CP option.

C'jais
10-23-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by PhantomHelix
much as you want it to change, it shouldn't it gives ppl a goal to complete. besides, you gotta work hard and be dedicated to gain your custom title, and if you only post 100 times, you wouldn't be very dedicated......btw, for ppl with 1000+ posts, how would you change your title? do you have to contact an admin or mod, or is there a new option under user cp that you can do......

Yes, it gives people a goal - but the goal shouldn't be to reach 1000 posts as soon as possible, but rather to make good, long quality posts. If you give everyone the custom title right away, it'll scare away those guys who do nothing but spam - when there's no incentive to spam, why do it then?

PS: It's easy as pie to change your title once you've got it. It's on the same page as your "Location" box.

PhantomHelix
10-23-2002, 02:56 PM
oh it is? ok, thats cool. i thought u had to get a mod to do it everytime u wanna change it. that would be really annoying.

Mex
10-23-2002, 03:08 PM
Yeah damn right, it would be like this

Change rank thread

"change mine to ooppp"
"Change mine to London!"
"Change mine to Goku!"

Man, that would be nutz :jawa

C'jais
10-23-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by PhantomHelix
oh it is? ok, thats cool. i thought u had to get a mod to do it everytime u wanna change it. that would be really annoying.

Oh, no no no noooo! :lol: That would cause the mods an untold amount of grief and pain every time Lexx had a sudden change of mind :rofl:

Well, about the custom title issue - would it make people happy if they got their own title at 50 posts? Would it piss some people off if they did?

:confused:

Boba Rhett
10-23-2002, 03:13 PM
Where would the fun in that be? :confused:

You all know it's fun to watch someone struggle through all those hilarious ranks to achieve a custom rank. :D

C'jais
10-23-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Where would the fun in that be? :confused:

You all know it's fun to watch someone struggle through all those hilarious ranks to achieve a custom rank. :D

I know, I know....

I'm glad my Gungan days are over! :D :lol:

ZBomber
10-23-2002, 03:39 PM
I like um, except for the spamming.

I love Custom Titles! :)

Jed
10-24-2002, 05:40 PM
I can't wait for the day I have a custom title. And I'll be there soon, but the point of the matter is I'll feel proud I got there without posting a crap load of spam. Ppl that spam are lamers. :D

Lamers, what a stupid word....