PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Yarael Poof

Psyk0Sith
10-27-2002, 02:46 PM
I started making a few meshes for JK2 and thought Poof would make a cool addition to the characters.

*Use copy paste to see the screenshots*

No lights:
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof.jpg

Lights and shadow
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof2.jpg

Now i have a problem...since he's got longer arms and hands (and no i'm not making 4 arms) than a human being, the mesh gets distorted when the fingers move (taunts and force powers).

No problems with the neck.

It's not weighted or uvw mapped yet, since i want people to give some feedback before i start messing around with it.

Also looking for skinners and voice/audio talent.

Eldritch
10-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Looks to be a great start. He looks too wide, though.

Kururin
10-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Great job face the face looks just like it.

-s/<itzo-
10-27-2002, 03:50 PM
can't wait for this one. and jedi_anakin is right the body is too wide. slim him down a bit.

{BK}SupremePain
10-27-2002, 04:36 PM
yes i agree slim it down a lil they are very slim in da movie

btw: what program do u use for modelling?;)

Hellfire Jedi
10-27-2002, 04:52 PM
are these those cloners from the movie....Looks nice btw
Did u make ki adi?

Mex
10-27-2002, 05:00 PM
This looks finished already!! (Exept it is a little too fat, like nearly everyone else said :)) And he did make Ki-Adi-Mundi

Psyk0Sith
10-27-2002, 05:07 PM
i thought people would have said he is too slim! :) i got the impression he was larger because of his puffy robe.

The bottom of the robe needs to be wider to follow the skeleton, but i'll slim down the torso.

{BK}SupremePain: i'm usimg 3D studio max 4.2

btw there will be no facial anims, cuz it would screw up really bad.

edit:Yep i did Ki Adi, Grafox made the original skins

Hellfire: Poof is a Quermian, member of the Jedi council not a Kaminoan (or cloners like u said) i believe he wasnt in AOTC.

Hellfire Jedi
10-27-2002, 05:22 PM
thanks for the info m8 great job on ki adi love the your motha taunt :D good luck with this it looks nice

Padawan_7
10-27-2002, 07:37 PM
Wow, that looks awesome Psyk0Sith! :D

Please don't slim Poof down too much. :( I kind of like him the way he is.

If you watch Ep1 carefully, even though Poof is sitting down, you can see that his body is indeed quite a bit wider than one would normally expect. ;)

GreenDevil
10-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Hey there Psyk0Sith!!!

Long time no see bud!

Glad to see your still in the game... and haven't lost that touch of yours it seems :) That looks great bud, keep it up!

Poof has never looked so good!! :)

t3rr0r
10-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Padawan_7
If you watch Ep1 carefully, even though Poof is sitting down, you can see that his body is indeed quite a bit wider than one would normally expect. ;)
it's just because of his arms underneath.

Padawan_7
10-27-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

it's just because of his arms underneath.

I just took a look at Poof's pics in the Insider's Guide, and yeah your right about that t3rr0r. Sorry. :p

So slimmer it is!:D

Kit Fisto
10-28-2002, 02:19 AM
wow, that looks very nice. I agree with the others, slim it down slightly and maybe make the neck a tad longer. If somebody could make custom animations for this that would rock, i think he would move alot like a stick insect.

seks03
10-28-2002, 07:54 AM
great start man, gotta agree with everyone else, slim him down a bit and his feet look a little to big, oh by the way if this model works out good which it seems like it will, you should do a cloner skin, that would rock, oh and im gonna put your model on my site.

awsome job !!!

Enjoi9187
10-28-2002, 08:09 AM
http://starwars.com/databank/character/yaraelpoof/index_eu.html

his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

BTW does anyone get tempted to just slice right through that long skinny head of his if you were a jedi? >:) :eek:

Professor Snape
10-28-2002, 09:42 AM
sry to be off topic but seks actually put his site in his sig and didn't spam it. Looks like he is learning

Psynex
10-28-2002, 12:20 PM
actually, after seeing that star wars database pic of him, Psych0sith has it damn near perfect. One thing that might balance it out is taking a couple more screenshots ad different angles. It looks to me like his shoulders should be widened EVER SO SLIGHTLY (but that could be the camera angle). The robes could use some enhancing. The section that sits on top of the robes and arcs down over his chest (what the hell is that thing called anyway?) starts to flatten itself back out parallel with the ground plane instead of following the contour of the shoulder line all the way out. Same kind of deal with the robes. If you notice the way it forms a point at the ends of both shoulders? I notice the section where the neck starts to fan out into the shoulders could be dropped down just a bit as well. It will make his neck look a bit longer. The neck looks shorter when compared to the reference pic. That cone shape comes together not too far from the colar.
These were just a few of the tiny details I noticed that were different in the comparison from the model renders to the reference pic.

Psyk0Sith
10-28-2002, 08:43 PM
thanx for the comments...

Psynex: i agree there are some things a bit off about the robe and his "neck pad" :)

I notice now the shoulders are in fact wider than the pad (the pad itself is also bigger than the current one, and flattens instead of following the shoulders)

the neck should also be smaller at the bottom.

also, like enjoi9187 said: his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

seks03: I made the feet smaller than the pic where he's sitting down...about the "cloner" skin, id rather start a new character from scratch (and i dont have time for that right now), but someone will probably do a skin for that anyway.

i'll go back to work now...

P.S.:Wassup GreenDevil?!? :D bet u cant wait for Plo Koon to be released (like most people!)

t3rr0r
10-28-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Psyk0Sith
also, like enjoi9187 said: his body is pretty wide, just not fat.

that said, you might want to add some ripples or folds in the robe.

GreenDevil
10-28-2002, 09:33 PM
Heheh... you bet I am Psyc0Sith!!!

Though, I wish you would have stuck with your model... it at least made progress :)

Zathu Koon
10-28-2002, 10:58 PM
Hehe, I'm not sure how that'd work with _humanoid.gla.

How distorted does it get?

inbredyokel
10-28-2002, 11:30 PM
Very impressive. I recall a few people a while ago saying poof couldn't be done, but it looks like you're doing it. Awsome job!

Btw, his robe does look to be in need of a few folds (see: plo koon model).

Psyk0Sith
10-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Hehe, I'm not sure how that'd work with _humanoid.gla.

The neck will work fine, i already did some tests with another model.

The hands are not in the right position so i know they will distort, the easiest solution would be to weight the fingers and hand as one mesh instead of using all the "finger bones".

I'm assuming fingers won't move for the taunts or force powers...i dont mind this but some people might not like it.

about ripples and folds, i'll leave that to the skinner...or maybe i'll add some, but it'll cost a lot more polys, i'm already @ 3000+ polys.

I'll post an update later this week.

nomad
10-29-2002, 03:00 AM
Very nice to see you working on this PsykoSith!
I actually tried messing around with a Yareal Poof mesh a while ago (It was my first modelling attempt) and it can definitely be done.
Toonces and I actually did a tiny amount of experimenting with how it might animate on the root skeleton and it worked pretty well without even adjusting the weighting at all.
A few tweaks with the weighting and it should be able to deform quite well.

As far as critiquing goes... I think that the neck is a bit too short, you've already talked about shaping the "neck pad" more accurately and I thought i'd add that it actually rounds out in the back (as opposed to the point in the front).
I just re-sized your screens to the same scale as some ref pics that I have, and I think that the body could just be scaled down a tad to match his head and neck (or increase the head and neck scale) Heh you still may need to extend that neck a little without widening it too much though.
One more thing. You may want to include a scale-mod size suggestion in the readme. I have a great pic, and I would gladly send you all my ref pics (just email ygmypay@yahoo.com) of a crew member behind the scenes adjusting something with Yareal. You can see that even while Poof is sitting down, he looks to be about 7 feet high. I know when I was messing around with making him I scaled him very very tall and it really made it seem right. :D
Also, I might enjoy making sounds for this Jedi. He is one of my favorites and I think I could create a sound pack that would do him justice.
I'm not around here too much these days, but I could definitely manage the time for this.

-nomad

May the force be with you.

paulthomasband.i8.com

Jahs
10-29-2002, 09:27 AM

i believe he wasnt in AOTC.

He died between EP 1 and EP2

Looking great. Im looking forward to be in Poof's robes :D

Kururin
10-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Jahs

He died between EP 1 and EP2

Looking great. Im looking forward to be in Poof's robes :D

He died before Ep 2 cause Coleman Trebor took his place in the Jedi Council.

Psyk0Sith
10-30-2002, 10:06 PM
Small update:

*copy paste this link* (renegade mods is down :(, i hate geocities!)

a 360 degrees render:
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/poof.zip

--->You need to rename the file to .mpg<---

-Adjusted neck pad/wider shoulders
-Neck is smaller at the bottom
-Robe is a bit slimmer
-Added small ripples on the sleeves to give a better cloth feel.

A few things still need to be tweaked, but i think its heading the right way...

seks03
10-31-2002, 06:19 AM
hey pskykosith,
i turned your 3d render into a flash movie with play and stop controls on it. and the size is now 104kb instead of 476kb so its easy to download, you can have it or use this link to display it

http://www.icpdas-usa.com/test/files/center/request/poof/poof.html

keep up the good work.

P.S. how do you guys know he died? I believe you but just curiuos.

Wolf Devil
10-31-2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Theron Qu'ud

He died before Ep 2 cause Coleman Trebor took his place in the Jedi Council.

I think that does classifys as BETWEEN TPM and AOTC

The skin is very good, however he should be more skiny and the neck should be longer

P.S. how do you guys know he died? I believe you but just curiuos

Go to www.starwars.com and look up Coleman Trebor, it'll say somewhere that he replaced Yarael when he died

Psyk0Sith
10-31-2002, 08:54 AM
Thank you seks03, tho i cant see it for some reason??

Wolf: it's not skinned yet, ill probably ask mars or grafox.

i think he got stabbed in his 2nd brain (stomach) in the comic book series.

fat_101
10-31-2002, 09:19 AM
WOW seks03 are u doing that to all models or just this one :)
and this model looks great but is his height gonna be different?

FATTEH

t3rr0r
10-31-2002, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by fat_101
and this model looks great but is his height gonna be different?
definately with jedimod and the like, after all he is 2.64m tall. :eek:

seks03
10-31-2002, 10:11 AM
no problem Psyk0Sith, you need the new flash mx player, get it here.

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&P5_Language=English

and to Wolf Devil thanks for the info.

to fat_101, i'll definatily do this for all the models, its just that Psyk0Sith is the only one that has made a video possible.

but to all modelers if you want me to do a flash render just contact me at my site and send the file.

Wolf Devil
10-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Wolf: it's not skinned yet, ill probably ask mars or grafox.

Sorry, meant model.

and to Wolf Devil thanks for the info

Your welcome

JediQuermian
11-04-2002, 07:18 PM
OMG! I can't believe it! I have been waiting for this model so long and it is finally in the works of being made. Happy day!

fat_101
11-04-2002, 08:07 PM
tnx for clearing that up :) wow hes gonna be tall just need jediplus on my server now :P

FATTEH

keo718
11-04-2002, 10:25 PM
Psyk0Sith, question. I know this is off topic but did you ever fix the hair animation problem with your Ki Adi Mundi model?

Psyk0Sith
11-04-2002, 11:49 PM
keo: i did some tweaks on it, and its barely moving now. Also added facial anims to see how its done, maybe LODs will be added. Kinda busy working on Poof and other stuff.

Small update: I'll uvw map Poof and find someone to skin it, while i weight and link all the cr*p together.

Jahs
11-05-2002, 02:34 PM
He didn't die because of COleman Trebor!
General Khorda killed him in the Zam wessel series.

JediQuermian
11-05-2002, 03:20 PM
I never go by EU...so maybe Yarael is really not dead. He could have just taken a break from the council.

t3rr0r
11-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Jahs
He didn't die because of COleman Trebor!
no one said he died because of coleman trebor. they said when poof died, coleman trebor took his place.

Kranckor
11-06-2002, 01:34 AM
Jahs is English your first language?

Psyk0Sith
11-09-2002, 01:09 AM
Sorry for not updating, uvw mapping is almost done.

Still looking for a skinner...anyone interested? cuz marz wont answer my mails and pm. :(

i need a skinner!

thanx

DapperDanMan
11-09-2002, 07:38 PM
wow! that is one cool lookin model. can't wait for it. good work.
:drop2:

Eldritch
11-11-2002, 02:16 AM

Still looking for a skinner...anyone interested? cuz marz wont answer my mails and pm. :(

i need a skinner!

thanx

Hmm... I know Marz is around and posting, because i've seen him in other threads. Perhaps post a short message to Marz in Toonces' Episode 1 Obi thread - I know he checks it.

Psyk0Sith
11-11-2002, 05:32 PM
good idea!

thanx!

Hellfire Jedi
11-13-2002, 10:05 PM
BUMP!

NeoMarz1
11-14-2002, 01:45 AM

i need a skinner!

thanx

Yeah, I want to skin him. Dont look to hard... You probably got my old E-mail. Heres the new one... neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

I got you last E-mail. If you got a glm/texture maps ready just send it my way, and I'll start skinning. Mars out! Hey, send me some screens of the model too! Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
11-14-2002, 02:21 AM
hehe yeah i was using the other e-mail, and got no progress since win2k crashed this week, had to work with a temporary win98.

Work should resume at the end of the week. Thanx marz!

Hellfire: Sorry if i didnt reply, but your pm box is full!...so yes you are still a beta tester.

Hellfire Jedi
11-14-2002, 08:19 AM
Dude once u wanna send it
blazoor@aol.com i have NO pm's in my box at this time weird i havnet had any for quite a bit..says its full hmmm
well after u send it there
www.geocities.com/mikeman02341/poof
that will be the page i post pictures :) ok thanks all

Kururin
11-14-2002, 09:39 AM
Could i beta test also?

Bobafett10186@aol.com :D

Thanks

Eldritch
11-14-2002, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1

Yeah, I want to skin him. Dont look to hard... You probably got my old E-mail. Heres the new one... neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

I got you last E-mail. If you got a glm/texture maps ready just send it my way, and I'll start skinning. Mars out! Hey, send me some screens of the model too! Mars out!

Good to see you on the case, Mars. You've done excellent work on all the skins of yours i've seen... can't wait to see what you cook up for this!

SpYzEr
11-15-2002, 08:09 PM
Bump :D

Hellfire Jedi
11-15-2002, 09:29 PM
Marz how is it coming along?

Psyk0Sith
11-16-2002, 01:37 AM
He doesnt have it yet, sorry guys, i had to re-install win2k and just getting back on my feet...

NeoMarz1
11-17-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
Marz how is it coming along?

Like Psyko said "Havent got it yet", but rest assured... Once I get it, the first skin draft will be out. I plan to get it moving that quick. Mars out!

MuRaSaMuNe
11-17-2002, 02:01 AM
Finally! Yareal Poof! Jedi Freaks rule! :wornout:

Psyk0Sith
11-18-2002, 05:22 PM
model has been sent to marz so he can start working on it.
Meanwhile i'll weight and fix the many errors that i fear will happen.

So no one gets to beta test this thing for now...when there's something to test u will get the files.

Anyone interested in making custom sounds for this guy?

nomad
11-19-2002, 03:01 AM
Perhaps you missed my post on the first page...

nomad originally wrote:
Also, I might enjoy making sounds for this Jedi. He is one of my favorites and I think I could create a sound pack that would do him justice. I'm not around here too much these days, but I could definately manage the time for this.

Just in case it means anything to you, I'm the person that made the sounds for Toonces' Kit Fisto.

-nomad

MTFBWY

t3rr0r
11-19-2002, 12:54 PM
i'm thinking poof should have a calm voice... anyone agree?

Psyk0Sith
11-19-2002, 02:12 PM
Thanx nomad! i kept searching through my pm's and the request thread to find who offered to help with audio. You're hired! :)

i'm thinking poof should have a calm voice... anyone agree?

Definately, kinda like those grey aliens in SG-1.

seks03
11-20-2002, 06:52 AM
a calm voice would be good to use, maybe with a weird breathing,
e.g.
"I am a :::::hiss::::: jedi"

something new like that i guess

Kururin
11-20-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by seks03
a calm voice would be good to use, maybe with a weird breathing,
e.g.
"I am a :::::hiss::::: jedi"

something new like that i guess

hiss?

Psyk0Sith
11-22-2002, 02:13 AM
Like Kit Fisto said "I think he would move like an insect", so how about some kind of insect noise? not sure how to do this but it would make him sound a bit more alien.

adillon
11-22-2002, 11:26 AM
maybe he (?) could have a cricket-like sound ... clicks and/or chirps incorporated in the speech, much like kit fisto and his squeeking noises. or maybe poof's voice could have a buzzing undertone. but i think the insect-like voice would be very nice ... a change from the normal.

Kit Fisto
11-22-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm thinking maybe a softer, less high pitched version of the Geonosian language. If you can imagine a cross between the Geonosian language of insect like clicks and chirps and the calm relaxed tone of the Kamino cloners language the results would be quite interesting.

Kururin
11-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Like Kit Fisto said "I think he would move like an insect", so how about some kind of insect noise? not sure how to do this but it would make him sound a bit more alien.

He looks more like a turtle to me.

t3rr0r
11-22-2002, 05:37 PM
i don't think he needs any crazy criket like sound... just a simple, calm voice.

Mex
11-22-2002, 06:12 PM
i don't think he needs any crazy criket like sound... just a simple, calm voice.

I agree with you :)

:duel:

NeoMarz1
11-22-2002, 07:54 PM
I just sent Psyko the first skin draft! He'll probably get a screenshot up soon. It skinned well, Maybe more tweaks when the model gets weighted/adjusted. Till then we'll keep the updates rolling. Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
11-23-2002, 06:38 PM
marz did an awesome job on the skins, check them out here:

*copy paste url*

Close up shots of the head with different light sources:
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/head00.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/head01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/head02.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/head03.jpg

Others
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/rough01.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/yarael_screen2.jpg

Some work is still needed but i think the skins kickass!

Thanks marz!

P.S.: no beta testing yet.

t3rr0r
11-23-2002, 06:42 PM
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/rough01.jpg = :O !!

you've outdone yourself marz.

SpYzEr
11-23-2002, 06:42 PM
:drop2: :drop2: WOW! That is the most realistic skin i have seen on any model in a while! Nice job marz!

inbredyokel
11-23-2002, 08:45 PM
Damn, that was quick. Wish I could skin that well and that fast.

Kranckor
11-23-2002, 10:37 PM
That's great, but he needs to be more pale, perhaps even white, and I believe he had red or dark pink eyes. Infact, I believe he was an albino.

Padawan_7
11-24-2002, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by Kranckor
That's great, but he needs to be more pale, perhaps even white, and I believe he had red or dark pink eyes. Infact, I believe he was an albino.

Yeah, Kranckor has got a good point. Take a look here...

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yaraelpoof/index_movie.html

But aside from that, I must say...MARZ YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!!

How did you make such a good skin in so short of a time?!?!

Amazing.

NeoMarz1
11-24-2002, 04:03 AM
Wow, Psyko... What model viewer is that? Looks even better than the screens I sent you. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
11-24-2002, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Padawan_7

Yeah, Kranckor has got a good point. Take a look here...

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/yaraelpoof/index_movie.html

But aside from that, I must say...MARZ YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!!!

How did you make such a good skin in so short of a time?!?!

Amazing.

Yeah, Psyko sent me the same reference shot... It's the same thing with all those damn photos. They all have a different take (color and lighting). I would like to make him more light colored. The Zam Wessel comic seems to show him like that. Plus, I like him less green personally, Maybe we'll go that way. Depends on what everyone thinks. Chime in with your opinions (You too Psyko) Mars out!

Oh... Another note here. The comic seems to show him with a belt (with two metal rings to the front). But the photo doesn't seem to show such a thing. I wanted to skin that, but as a safe bet... I decided to not go that way. Mars out!

nomad
11-24-2002, 05:20 AM
That is looking beautiful!
I can't wait to see it with the colors re-worked, although that is a nice color scheme, maybe for an alternate skin :)
The full body pics made me very happy.
You guys are really moving along with this, I'll bump up my schedule. (I've been very busy recently)
Oh, thanks for hiring me too :D I'll do my best.
Don't think I've been ignoring the suggestions about the voice. I have my own opinions, but listening to many different takes can always be great inspiration. Of course everything will come down to PsykoSith's final say.

I have to admit, while I personally love making exotic and bizzare things, I initially think of a simple and calm voice to go with Yareal Poof. (Zen master kind of thing) I have been contemplating what I might do to alter the simpleness a bit, and that is always the most fun part. Please be patient, and trust in me that I will hold the integrety of a huge and deeply committed Star Wars Fan.

It's interesting that some of you have talked about insect-like. I can see that in movement perhaps, as I've always imagined him moving (in combat) slowly, deliberately, and with an artful grace. Someone said about him reminding him more of a turtle, and I can certainly relate to that, judging by his skin and facial shape/features.
Anyway, the great thing is that he is none of these things, yet perhaps all of these things and more...
Thank George!!

Oh and one other thing. The Geonosian dialect has got to be one of the greats all time, certainly one of my favorites, though I don't think I'll rip that for Yareal.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Kit Fisto
11-24-2002, 10:15 AM
The skin color needs to be changed to fit the reference images at the official star wars website. Comics aint cannon, the movies are, stick to the reference pictures. Aside from that gripe it looks damn cool, keep up the good work ;)

Padawan_7
11-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by nomad
...I initially think of a simple and calm voice to go with Yareal Poof.

That's the same way I see it, nomad. However, I was wondering, what pitch do you think his voice should be?

I was thinking of a slightly higher-pitched voice, although not too high-pitched because you don't want him to sound female. The reason I think this way, is that Yarael obviously has a long and thin wind pipe. This could act kind of like the tubing in a trumpet or bugle. Not that he should sound like a trumpet or bugle; I’m just talking about pitch. ;)

Enjoi9187
11-24-2002, 01:27 PM
what about a high pitch "wookie-sounding"

Psyk0Sith
11-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Wow, Psyko... What model viewer is that? Looks even better than the screens I sent you. Mars out!

It's the default 3D max renderer. This gives a better idea on how the shadows could look like in game, but it wont look like that in JK2.

You are right he seems albino! i wouldnt mind seeing two (or more) skins with color variations, its always good to have variety.

Oh... Another note here. The comic seems to show him with a belt (with two metal rings to the front). But the photo doesn't seem to show such a thing. I wanted to skin that, but as a safe bet... I decided to not go that way. Mars out!

Yeah i didnt know if he should wear the belt either, so i didnt make one, but it still can be done at this point.

nomad: Thanks for your help on this! and do whatever you think fits him best.

Hellfire Jedi
11-27-2002, 02:45 PM
bump:rolleyes:

keo718
11-27-2002, 03:20 PM
Damn! that skin is looking REAL nice.

Mex
11-27-2002, 04:38 PM
Looking quite nice, but I have a few questions.

1. How are you going to get taunts? I havent heard Poof speak in the movies.

2. Will you shrink the body size because the head is bigger?

And thats it, and keep on going!

Psyk0Sith
11-27-2002, 10:06 PM
1. How are you going to get taunts? I havent heard Poof speak in the movies.

Nomad is the voice talent for Poof, i give him full creative control...we'll just give him feedback on how it sounds.

2. Will you shrink the body size because the head is bigger?

His head is just taller than the default skeleton, and the body size is about the same as a human being. It was suggested to make him bigger, but i dunno if this will be necessary.

If so, i could make his default size bigger (without the use of any resizing mod.) just by re-scaling the skeleton.

Hellfire Jedi
11-27-2002, 10:09 PM
I think if u can make it so u get the low amount of error's the better like u said at the beginning the taunt error with the fingers...

P.S.Soon till we beta test i can FEEL it

Psyk0Sith
11-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Spyzer, Hellfire Jedi, Supreme Pain and Marz were sent the latest beta version of the in-game model. Expect some screenshots soon.

I'm very pleased with the results, even if there's some minor bugs to fix, i think it's looking pretty good.

I'm not sure on the scaling but like i said, its easy to adjust.

Mex
11-29-2002, 03:12 PM
I'm sorry, I meant taller not fatter in my other post,

And how come Hellfire tests lots of models? Man hes lucky! Maybe if I stick here long enough I could test it! :)

Hellfire Jedi
11-29-2002, 03:35 PM
Ok i just got back from a nice thanksgiving from connecticut it was good now i got the yarael and i have pictures in a few minutes goto
www.geocities.com/mikeman02341/poof
pictures wil be there

NOTE: I tryed getting my ass smoked by the bot and to rip the bot apart could not find any dismember shots :(

Hekx
11-29-2002, 03:57 PM
His hand doesn't look like it's on the lightsaber (http://www.geocities.com/mikeman02341/shot0150.jpg), you may want to check that out ;)

quamosity
11-30-2002, 03:54 AM
That is a great skin. I look forward to that model.

For more images from various Yarael comics, check here:
http://web.umr.edu/~mlang/jk2/Pictures/

Those should give an idea as to what Yarael says (granted, they ARENT cannon, but they are the only public materials that give insight into Yaraels character).

Also

http://web.umr.edu/~mlang/jk2/Sabers/saber_poof.jpg

His lightsaber, taken from those same comics.

Download here:

http://web.umr.edu/~mlang/jk2/Downloads/sabers_q_jedimodcompatible.zip

Mex
11-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Could you make it non jedi-mod compatable? I want to use it without jedimod! :)

t3rr0r
11-30-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by quamosity
His lightsaber, taken from those same comics.

Download here:

http://web.umr.edu/~mlang/jk2/Downloads/sabers_q_jedimodcompatible.zip
quamosity. :O good to see you again [still planning those adi galia and aayla (aotc) hilts?].

poof looks nice ingame (save the hand weighting)... someone should test it in jedimod (after adding the model to the tckmodel.cfg, or whatever).

quamosity
11-30-2002, 03:58 PM
:D

I always want to come back to saber modelling, but the biggest problem is with time--and how I haven't had any of it lately. I might be able to whip something up, though

I will also work on making that poof saber non-jedimod compatible

-quamosity

{BK}SupremePain
11-30-2002, 05:51 PM
Psyk0Sith
ive tested it ingame the dismemberment works fine, ive sendt you a mail showing stuff on the model ive found here and there. Here are some shots of him ingame.....

http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0025.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0088.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0029.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0030.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0031.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0032.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0033.jpg http://www.geocities.com/pains_hood/shot0034.jpg
Hope ya'll like em.
(if the pics dont work then take the litle red X's where the pics should be, and drag them into your internet browser)

Toonces
11-30-2002, 05:57 PM
I'm really digging it :D Nice job on the skin Mars :)

Psyk0Sith
11-30-2002, 08:08 PM
Thanx {BK}SupremePain, wasnt sure about the caps, errors can happen everywhere.

I think i will resize him...but should i make the skeleton taller or leave it to default and use the mod? Not all servers have the
resize mod...

I could also duplicate the current model, and use the console to load the giant freak when there's no resize mod :)? (like /model yarael_scale

I'm not sure how to fix the left hand, it seems the hand is forced into default position and cannot be told where to grip the saber.
I will try to find a way to fix this.

quamosity: very nice work with the hilt!, i'll make sure to include this in the released version...with your permission of course.

El Sitherino
11-30-2002, 08:18 PM
hey you think i could beta test? if not oh well. just a question

t3rr0r
11-30-2002, 08:36 PM
I think i will resize him...but should i make the skeleton taller or leave it to default and use the mod? Not all servers have the
resize mod...
personally, i think you should leave it up to the mod to make him taller.

El Sitherino
11-30-2002, 08:42 PM

i agree seeing how hes taking time out of his life to make this for us.

Padawan_7
11-30-2002, 09:20 PM

Yeap, I too agree.

Elessar-Eärfalas
12-01-2002, 03:38 AM
this is coming out amazing! i was going to attempt this guy! but i was told a while ago that the bone structure didnt allow it so i didnt..:p but i guess people were wrong, lol this is looking great guys, keep up the great work.

Psyk0Sith
12-01-2002, 03:17 PM
resizing the whole thing takes about 45 seconds (time to load 3D max, load the file and use the scale tool!)...

i will do it and post a screenshot later.

t3rr0r
12-01-2002, 03:27 PM
resizing the whole thing takes about 45 seconds (time to load 3D max, load the file and use the scale tool!)...

i will do it and post a screenshot later.
but it will be more difficult for jedimod, etc. to resize him correctly... he'll be really, really big if you use the tck scaling on the scaled skeleton... since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O

Psyk0Sith
12-01-2002, 05:07 PM
T3rr0r:
I would have made 2 versions of the model, the default one would have been normal height (re-scaled with jedimod) and the other one would be loaded through the console when there is no mod to resize him.

but let's forget about my crazy ideas:

it does work, but he is walking through the ground because of the skeleton's origin. When i move the whole thing (to have everything at normal floor height) things get really screwed up.

This was possible in quake 3 so i thought it would work the same in JK2.

So default size it is.

NeoMarz1
12-01-2002, 07:53 PM
Just sent Psyko the First final skin texture.

heres what I did...
1) darkened the robe
2) Changed the skin Hue, and lightened it.
3) Made Red, Blue, and Sith varient.
4) Finished Icons.
5) adjusted facial texure to look more like the movie shots.

Should be some screenshots soon... keep watching the thread.
Mars out!:D

Master_Payne
12-01-2002, 11:46 PM
Great model (and skin too), after this one someone should try a kaminoan

NeoMarz1
12-02-2002, 01:45 AM

but it will be more difficult for jedimod, etc. to resize him correctly... he'll be really, really big if you use the tck scaling on the scaled skeleton... since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O

Yeah I just tried it at 1.5 (maybe a little tall) but hell, Its way cool fighting Yarael when he's the right size. That huge saber sliced through me like butter. I sent Psyko the screeny, I hope he posts it... This model has gotten me more "psyked" since I made the sizing adjustment. Wayyyyyyyyyyy cool!
Mars out...

By the way I used Jedi Mod 3 .cfg- More servers should support these mods.

NeoMarz1
12-02-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Master_Payne
Great model (and skin too), after this one someone should try a kaminoan

Yeah I agree, Only thing is that the race seems slow and gracefull. I dont know if they would make good fighters. I still would like to see it.

Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
12-02-2002, 04:39 PM
as promised by marz...

http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/screenyarael.jpg

Will post more soon...thanx marz! the skins rock!

if you cant see it anymore, copy/paste this link

t3rr0r
12-02-2002, 05:42 PM
as promised by marz...

Will post more soon...thanx marz! the skins rock!
rofl... he's quite intimidating. :D

Eldritch
12-02-2002, 06:10 PM

rofl... he's quite intimidating. :D

*Gulp*... he is scaled up, right? ;)

Both model and skin look great... can't wait to download it!

Hekx
12-02-2002, 07:46 PM
Oh... my.. god...

Lovely :)
Look foward to seeing him scaled in JediMod :p

He looks quite.. demonic... the stare...

Good work :thumbsup:

quamosity
12-02-2002, 08:51 PM
yeah psykosith, feel free to include the hilt

Sebulba-Dug
12-03-2002, 01:51 AM
Okay, from what I've seen, he kcks ass (He's my favorite Jedi) I know a lot about how he should look and every thing so if ya ever need a bit of help email me!

thatsashot@yahoo.com

Sebulba-Dug
12-03-2002, 01:55 AM
P.S. Is the a release date? Sorry, I had to ask.

Eldritch
12-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Sebulba-Dug
P.S. Is the a release date? Sorry, I had to ask.

Don't be afraid to use the http://www.lucasforums.com/images/edit.gif button. It's useful for editing your original post, rather than posting a new one. ;)

Mex
12-03-2002, 11:43 AM
Nice picture, he is big tho, maybe a little too big!

and whats the skin you are using to face Poof? Looks cool! :)

nomad
12-04-2002, 01:34 AM
That in-game screenshot has me real excited :D
I finished recording this evening and I plan to mix down late tonight. I hope you all like it. I think we captured what we attempted to do with it.
My Brother, Stephen, is the voice talent. He and I totally agreed with each other on how his voice should sound. I wrote a bunch of lines for him and then we just winged it until we found the voice we were looking for.

Padawan_7, I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your question before... heh, I kept meaning to, but I was trying to figure out the same thing as you. "What should his pitch be?" Based on the whole long tube thing, I was trying to figure out how high-pitched that would make it.
You should have seen us, testing sounds and voices through all different types of brass instruments and tubes and such.
Length and width both effect the pitch, but the materials that the tube is made of can affect it even more so.
We eventually went with the voice that I had, pretty much, originally thought of.
The pitch is not very high at all. I could equate it to an old and wise monk, who has spent countless years meditating in a mountain some where in The Orient.
Of course, I haven't edited this stuff yet, and we'll see how I like it when I start playing around with it. I expect it to remain pretty simple... but we'll see.
Anyway all this talk is quite boring compared to the interesting things the model and skin makers have to say... so I'll stop rambling...

now.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Oops... hehe We also have put together a bunch of sounds for Hans Moleman's Watto model. I really think everyone will love these, but their editing will take a back seet to my work on Yareal :D

Kit Fisto
12-04-2002, 02:15 AM
That really does look awesome. Great work :)

Padawan_7
12-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Padawan_7, I'm sorry that I didn't reply to your question before... heh, I kept meaning to, but I was trying to figure out the same thing as you. "What should his pitch be?" Based on the whole long tube thing, I was trying to figure out how high-pitched that would make it.
You should have seen us, testing sounds and voices through all different types of brass instruments and tubes and such.
Length and width both effect the pitch, but the materials that the tube is made of can affect it even more so.
We eventually went with the voice that I had, pretty much, originally thought of.
The pitch is not very high at all. I could equate it to an old and wise monk, who has spent countless years meditating in a mountain some where in The Orient.
Of course, I haven't edited this stuff yet, and we'll see how I like it when I start playing around with it. I expect it to remain pretty simple... but we'll see.
Anyway all this talk is quite boring compared to the interesting things the model and skin makers have to say... so I'll stop rambling...

now.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Oops... hehe We also have put together a bunch of sounds for Hans Moleman's Watto model. I really think everyone will love these, but their editing will take a back seet to my work on Yareal :D

No problem nomad. Wow, it sounds like you and your brother have really worked hard on creating Yarael's sounds. I'm sure both of you will be able to make him sound right.:D I can't wait to play and hear Yarael Poof!

Oh and that's good news about Watto. I didn't know you were working on sounds for him too. That's good to hear!

Mex
12-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Flanders

Could somene awnser my question?

frendon
12-04-2002, 02:10 PM

Could somene awnser my question?

that's one of the ctf skins for the ep2obi model that toonces, arco and neomarz are working on.

Andi Ken-Obi
12-05-2002, 04:24 PM
I will also work on making that poof saber non-jedimod compatible
I have a non jedimod compatible lightsaber package from Quamosity and there´s already Yarael´s lightsaber included.
I added a saber icon for the weapon bar as you can see on that screenshot.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/fitaclan/andi/shot0000.jpg

If requested, I could submit a link for download.

Taigan
12-05-2002, 04:47 PM
Yarael is my least favourite from the jedi council,But now im actually anxious to have it!
AHHHHHHH

quamosity
12-05-2002, 07:20 PM
wow, I completely forgot about that original package. You have my permission to re-release the saber with the graphics. Thanks for doing them.

oh, and I would like to download em, too :)

NeoMarz1
12-05-2002, 11:16 PM

well you may be right. I was looking at the Zam Wessel comic as a reference for his height. Comics tend to exagerate for effect. In one scene he looks almost to be twice the size of Zam! In the cfg file it's an easy fix, so don't worry too much about that! We will come up with a good Height, right guys? :D Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-05-2002, 11:22 PM

Could somene answer my question?

Glad you asked... It does look rather interesting eh? :D Its the Sith version of my ObiWan. Should be released soon:D I think Toonces said it may come out the weekend (Obi that is)

Mars out!

nomad
12-06-2002, 02:20 AM
Marz, what size was he in that screenie?
I tried him out at 1.4
Check out this pic:

http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/snapshot/2000/11/snapshot20001113.html

It's a good one for trying to determine Yarael Poof's size. Remember, he is sitting down in this picture. I was glad to see that you had him very large in that first in-game shot, because I was afraid that people wouldn't realize how tall he really is.
Great job on the skin!!

And Psykosith, really awesome job on the model. It looks great and it moves very well. I see you used the Mon Mothma style for the bottom of the robe's weighting. It works quite well.
If only we could make his head sway with JK2's engine.

Just so everyone knows, Yarael seems like a very peaceful being, and his taunts reflect that.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Andi Ken-Obi
12-06-2002, 03:15 PM
Thanks for your permission quamosity, I´m glad that you like it. I also added icons to the other sabers in your package (except Quinlan Vos) because I don´t like to have a new saber model and still see the default icon of Kyle´s.
I hope that everyone who wanted the saber will enjoy it. So here´s the link.

Saber Poof ( http://mitglied.lycos.de/fitaclan/andi/saber_poof.zip)

Taigan
12-06-2002, 05:11 PM
So.....
Is it coming out real soon?:D:lsduel: :dsaber: :slave: :wan: :mauls: :jfett:

NeoMarz1
12-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Marz, what size was he in that screenie?
I tried him out at 1.4

-nomad

MTFBWY

Yeah we must think about the same, I did it at 1.5! Based on the fact that we have similar numbers, we cant be too far off! Anyone one else have any thoughts on the sizing?

Mars out!

t3rr0r
12-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
Anyone one else have any thoughts on the sizing?
since his scaled height would be 1.47 (since kyle = 1.8m = 1). :O
:p

Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 02:55 AM
I also used 1.4 to size him, it looked pretty good.

nomad: is it ok if i send the soundpack to the beta testers? i think they should listen to it and give some feedback.

By the way i lowered the pitch of the voice to a whole step down, and it makes him sound more like a monk like you said. If you have cool edit or something like that, you should try it and let me know what you think.

and maybe some examples could be linked here so others can hear what he could sound like...

Padawan_7
12-07-2002, 03:57 AM
t3rr0r, actually Yarael Poof should be scaled down a little lower than 1.47.

It's true Yarael is 2.64 meters tall and Kyle is 1.8 meters tall. And thus, the scaling factor would normally be 1.47....but you have to take in consideration that when Kyle is measured as 1.8 meters tall, that's from his head to his feet as attached to the JKII skeleton. The Yarael Poof model's head is attached way above the JKII skeleton’s position for Kyle's head (do to Yarael's neck length). So his scale should be adjusted accordingly. ;)

NeoMarz1
12-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Just sent Psyko the final skin pack. It looks pretty good, so there shouldn't be anymore adjustments (with exception to model tweaks) I added a new "green robed" varient... Oops I just thought of something... Hey Psyko, did we want to keep the "green skinned" varient as a choice? (e-mail me on this matter)

On top of that I just finished the icons. Which were a pain due to Yaraels size. His long neck forced me to downsize the image causing problems with resolution. I made some good compromises, so it doesnt look too bad. Mars out!

Enjoi9187
12-07-2002, 12:10 PM
padawan, so you are saying that the 2.64 meters on yareal ARENT from his head to his feet? meaning, if kyle is 1.8 from head to toe, and in game he is 1, and yareal is 2.64 from head to toe, then the same rules apply

Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 03:31 PM
marz, i only got the screenshot?, haha it looks cool! :D thanx!

http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/yarael_vs_yoda.jpg

(copy paste if ya cant see it)
http://www.geocities.com/psykopat.geo/yarael_vs_yoda.jpg

could you please send the skin pack again?, i dunno what i happened but it's not in my box.

oh and about the icons, should i send new ones with close ups of his face?

Padawan_7
12-07-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Enjoi9187
padawan, so you are saying that the 2.64 meters on yareal ARENT from his head to his feet? meaning, if kyle is 1.8 from head to toe, and in game he is 1, and yareal is 2.64 from head to toe, then the same rules apply

No, Yarael is 2.64 meters tall from his head to his feet. What I'm trying to say (this is difficult without a picture)....well, picture this:

Kyle is 1.8 meters tall in 'real life,' right? In game the JKII skeleton used for all the models in multiplayer is 1.8 meters tall. And thus, the Kyle model attached to the JKII skeleton is 1.8 meters tall. Now (here is the tricky part) Yarael in 'real life' is 2.64 meters tall. The JKII skeleton used by Yarael in game (without a scaling mod) is again 1.8 meters tall. And the Yarael model attached to the JKII skeleton in game (without a scaling mod) is 1.8+ meters tall, due to the fact that he has a very long neck that extends way above the JKII skeleton itself. In fact, the Yarael model's lower section of the neck is attached at the place that the Kyle model's head and face would be attached on the JKII skeleton.

So in other words, without any scaling mod in use, if you had the Kyle and Yarael models in game, the Yarael model would already be taller than Kyle (due to Yarael's neck length). However, since both are attached to the same JKII skeleton, their shoulders will be exactly the same height. Understand now? I hope all that makes sense. :)

Taigan
12-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Its coming out soon right.....?
Its done right!?!!?

SOON RIGHT?!!?:mob:

SpYzEr
12-07-2002, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Taigan
Its coming out soon right.....?
Its done right!?!!?

SOON RIGHT?!!?:mob:

2 words to describe your posts: useless spam
1 word to describe you: N00B
2 words of advice: SHUT UP!

Sry for being off topic :D

Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 07:41 PM
Spyzer one word...
Amen.

Hellfire

Sry fer off topic

Psyk0Sith
12-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Sorry for making you guys wait for the model, but it still needs some small fixing up, the audio is not final yet, and i'm waiting for the final skin from neomarz...so please /me looks in Taigan's direction...be patient ;).

I have fixed the left hand bug (i had to make his arms shorter, but it still looks good so its alright.)

Here's the first soundpack from nomad, anyone interested in this model should listen to it and give feedback.

(the file is 1.177 mb. taunts, jump and gasp)
http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/yp_sndpack.zip

Here's my opinion:
i think you and your bro did an excellent job, here's a few things i would like to change:

1.Some of the taunts are too long, i personnaly prefer shorter taunts. We could leave a few longer taunts.

2.I would like to lower the pitch of the voice to make him sound
older.

3.Finally, a bit of de-noise or something like that to reduce the hissing.

Remember that this is not final, so please don't hesitate to add your own suggestions.

Thanx!

Hellfire Jedi
12-07-2002, 09:31 PM
My fav is Lower your weapons
There great maybe sound like schhhhhhhhhhh to much in the backround
Do you record these your self nomad or make them from a proggy

Hekx
12-07-2002, 09:53 PM
They sound very... intriguing.. hehe :D

I picture futuristic aliens to look similar to Yarael Poof, what about the idea of harmonic keyboard-type sounds instead of an actual voice?
Just a suggestion. :)

t3rr0r
12-07-2002, 10:01 PM
they sound really good... any chance you could lower the pitch of his voice just a bit?

Enjoi9187
12-08-2002, 12:01 AM
nice, but if hes gonna roll the r's, do it for all taunts, like:

"The forrrce, is my ally, the darkside (should roll r) is enemy to all."

"As a jedi, is it my responcibility (roll r), to eliminate threats like you."

also, that jump is WAY too long

Padawan_7
12-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Yeah, I'll have to agree with Psyk0Sith on points 1 and 3.

I like shorter taunts and there is a little background hissing noise.

However, I like the pitch of the voice just the way it is. :D

Also, I would go with just a little less of an asian accent. It really sounds fine the way it is...but I think it could be toned down just a little bit. The other part of the accent, the wierd part, is great!

Oh yeah, one more thing, the jump sound could be much louder.

But, over all, very nice nomad (and nomad's brother)!:D

inbredyokel
12-08-2002, 02:56 AM
The sounds are quite good, they just seem too human. I played around with them in cool edit, and if the pitch is lowered half a level or so, the speed is increased for some of the longer taunts, and the hiss is filtered out, they sound much better. I can upload some samples if anyone is interested.

NeoMarz1
12-08-2002, 05:29 AM

could you please send the skin pack again?, i dunno what i happened but it's not in my box.

oh and about the icons, should i send new ones with close ups of his face?

Well I just sent it again, let me know the second you get it. When you get the skin pack, take a look at the icons. If they look ok, then dont worry about the close ups. We could do a close up for the default icon just to set the flavor, but I dont know, cuz to me it looks odd. His head popping into the icon frame looks a bit unbalanced. Just let me know what you think. Mars out!

nomad
12-08-2002, 05:48 PM
Hey,
Sorry I disappeared a little bit the past few days.
I've been kind of busy... you know how it can be.

I've downloaded cooledit, and I've messed with the pitch a bit. Some of it sounds OK with that, and I think I'll be able to set it up nicely.
Stephen, the voice actor, suggested we lower the pitch after listening to the sounds in the game, so I'm willing to bend with the wind ;)
I actually meant to speed up the tape just a tad before I mixed it down, as that can just eliminate a bit of "human sounding quality" to the voice, so I originally did intend to slightly alter the speed... just the other way.

Psykosith, I meant to ask you if you prefered short taunts (personally I don't mind long ones if they represent the character well).
I think there are enough options that we could have a good enough mix. I could cut a couple in half, move a shorter one to the main taunt, and leave some longer ones (they're not THAT long)
sound good?
Oh, and the noise reduction seems to work nicely with cooledit. I had to increase the volume, after I put it into the PC, by so much that it definitely hurt the quality. I'll do my best to clean them up, perhaps using a better program to increase the volume again from the original levels.

Just some inside info: The way I got the voice's sound is by having the actor talk through a Didgeridoo (made from real eucolyptus tree) aimed into a bass drum with the microphone set up inside the drum. I did this to try and capture the long thin neck and the deep booming of his large chest cavity. Combined with Stephen Thomas's performance, I'm happy with the results.
We recorded at a 3 to 1 ratio on each and every taunt and sound. So, I had many, many takes to listen through and edit.
I had mentioned to Psykosith in an email that I also went with the idea that Yarael can expell air from his chest and out of his long windpipe-neck, acting like a large bellowed instrument.
I'm glad to see that people are, for the most part, happy with the sounds.

I think I can have it finished late tonight, but we'll have to meet some kind of final approval of course.
Once again, the model is truly excellent... and I'm glad you were able to fix that hand bug.

-nomad

MTFBWY

NeoMarz1
12-09-2002, 09:39 PM
they sound really good... any chance you could lower the pitch of his voice just a bit?

I agree, It would make it sound less human, Plus short taunts are just a good idea anyhow. They take up less space. You may want to play around with a second track overlap. Use a low base sound (similar to the gasp sound you have). If that played (overlapped) with the dialogue, you might get a more alien sound. (keep the volume way down on the gasp) Kinda like a creature with dual vocal cords. Just a thought. Mars out!

nomad
12-10-2002, 08:13 PM
You may want to play around with a second track overlap. Use a low base sound (similar to the gasp sound you have). If that played (overlapped) with the dialogue, you might get a more alien sound. (keep the volume way down on the gasp) Kinda like a creature with dual vocal cords. Just a thought. Mars out!

We think alike. I have tried to do that. In fact that's one thing that I did do with Fisto and I thought it may work here, but the only way to do it right is to filter the second sound through an envelope that matches the spoken words. When I've tried it as is, it just sounds pretty much like backround noise. Before I sent any of these out, I had tried using an exhaling along with the voice, to make it seem like he expells air through a second tube, while he speaks... but this sounded too much like Vader actually.
If I could write a filter to act out the frequencies of the voice and put the low humming through that... then we'd be cooking. However, I don't know how to do that with these programs.
I honestly went for a simple voice for Yarael, just because that's what I imagined. I'm still messing with them now, (sorry that I gave a false finish line) but I want to get these done, because I'm not sure if I'm delaying things here... hope not.
The main reason I'm not finished yet is because the pain sounds that I had recorded DO NOT work with the new way that the voice sounds. It doesn't work well when I've lowered their pitch, so I want to record new pain sounds. That's not a big deal, it's just that I couldn't get to do it until tonight.
PsykoSith, please email me if you need me to get these to you sooner.
I've just been quite busy, but I want to do a good job on these.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Psyk0Sith
12-10-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm still doing a bit of experimentation with the weighting, this will give you more time, so don't worry about the delay.

thanks for taking the time to do these!, i'll aslo experiment with the sounds just for fun.

I can upload some samples if anyone is interested.

Yo inbred! i'm interested :), just let me know when you have something ready for download.

boinga1
12-10-2002, 10:37 PM
Ooooh...nice skin/model... I used to think this guy was just a fool but that yoda vs. yareal picture ot me really excited :) :) :)

Psyk0Sith
12-13-2002, 05:05 PM
Good news, nomad just sent me the almost final soundpack, im very happy with the results.

He lowered the pitch, chopped some of the longer taunts and cleaned the noise.

On monday the model should be ready for release.

Padawan_7
12-13-2002, 07:08 PM
On monday the model should be ready for release.

Wow, this is great news!

Taigan
12-15-2002, 09:17 PM
Nice....
Can't wait :D

nomad
12-17-2002, 02:39 AM
Hey, I just got back into town.
I'm glad you like the sounds PsykoSith.
I think this model kicks :D
Sorry I didn't send a different jump... I must have forgotten it when I packed them up for you (I was in a bit of a rush)
I did make some alternate jump sounds... though none were much better than what you had (maybe shorter). If you want to mess with that yourself, feel free.

I need some major sleep right now, but I'll try and help you out however I can afterwards... if you haven't released it by then. Honestly everything's cool as is, but if we can make any improvements... by all means, we shall :D

-nomad

flim flammer and the flam flams

Psyk0Sith
12-17-2002, 03:42 PM
What should the recommended size be with jedimod (or any scaling mod)? i thought 1.4 or 1.3 would be good, cuz his head's pretty high compared to kyle.

Remember that when he's scaled too tall he wont fit in some doorways, the player will most likely have to crouch to pass through.

Not a big deal when dueling, but in FFA you have to think about that.

NeoMarz1
12-18-2002, 04:27 PM
I tried it in shuttle bay. He seems to fit through those doors. Mars out!

nomad
12-19-2002, 06:39 PM
I've been playing around in FFA with 1.4 for a while now.
Definitely seems good. You have to crouch through some doorways, although so does Shaquille Oneal.
I keep thinking I should try 1.35, but I haven't yet.

Have you ever noticed that you can't always pick up items when you are a very large scale? So, I end up using Force Pull to pick up the items.
Anyone else have this issue? (I don't mind it myself)

Sorry I haven't been more in touch. I've just been so busy with other stuff.
I did spend a bunch of time working on a new jump sound today. I'm sending you some files (I think I left falling, land and jump out of the misc I sent you)

I also have some Sith taunts that I started a while ago. You could give the Sith Skin his own sounds if you don't mind the added file size. I'll throw those taunts in there so you can hear them. They need more work, but I figured you might like to hear the possibilities.

-nomad

MTFBWY

MasterKoon237
12-19-2002, 08:02 PM
This model hasn't been realeased to the general public yet has it?

Psyk0Sith
12-20-2002, 03:32 AM
Thanx nomad, i've converted the sounds to 64kbps so the file is just under 2mb, also lowered the pitch of the pain sound for the sith. The sith sounds could have used a couple variation but it's better than nothing.

I think 1.4 is good, people can always resize if they have some problems.

This model hasn't been realeased to the general public yet has it?

Nope but i think i will release it today, unless we need to have more sith sounds? or if there's something that need to be fixed...

sorry for the wait...hang in there it's almost released!

skywalker19
12-20-2002, 06:08 AM
sounds great :)

should be interesting fighting that big dude in a duel ;),of course i'll win lol

Hellfire Jedi
12-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Yeah Release it today my final decision is release it when u want. Its all good!

Hellfire

SpYzEr
12-20-2002, 10:38 AM
Before releasing it, you might want to shorten up the jump/roll sound a tad bit, its a lil too long. Other than that, this model is fantastic, Great work!:D

MasterKoon237
12-20-2002, 04:09 PM
orginally posted by Psyk0Sith
sorry for the wait...hang in there it's almost released!

It's okay, take your time! I was just wondering!

t3rr0r
12-20-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by SpYzEr
Before releasing it, you might want to shorten up the jump/roll sound a tad bit, its a lil too long.
nomad already said he had made a new one.

MasterKoon237
12-20-2002, 05:06 PM
So this model is going to be realeased today? If so, that's awesome!! If not, that's okay i can wait.

Hekx
12-20-2002, 05:13 PM
http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=8813

It must be released.
jk2files.com have the Yarael Poof model :)
I'm downloading it now ;)

frendon
12-20-2002, 05:34 PM
IT LOOKS GREAT THANKS A LOT YARAEL POOF TEAM!!! :D

Toonces
12-20-2002, 05:39 PM
http://www.jediknightii.net/files/index.php?link=file&id=1088

I'll do a write up in the news as soon as I settle in here :)

Psyk0Sith
12-20-2002, 05:44 PM
Yep it's officialy released, i didnt know how long it would take for them to put it online.

Thanx Toonces :)

Hope you guys enjoy the final product. again thanx to the whole team for making this possible.

nomad
12-20-2002, 06:07 PM
LOL
I just sent a full sith variant sound misc to you Psyko.
Heh, I checked my email a couple of hours ago, then I started finishing up all the sounds I had. Then when I checked my email again, you'd already sent the thing.
Well, if there is any need to re-release, we know we have new options I guess.

The sounds I just finished were definitely better than the sith ones already included.

Well anyway, I'm going to go check out the finished product! :)

-nomad

MTFBWY

Psyk0Sith
12-20-2002, 06:12 PM
Doh!

well i guess we'll have to release some kind of sith soundpack if people are interested.

Kit Fisto
12-20-2002, 10:14 PM
Very cool model guys, he looks exactly like he does in the movie. Keep up the good work

WhiteShdw
12-20-2002, 10:21 PM
Nice work Psyk0Sith. Very well done. I was surprised how well the robe works on this model.

I made some pics of the model to compare it's true size to the other Jedi. I did it in SP because it's easier to scale models there.

the usual suspects (http://homepage.bysky.nl/~ka1e1/shot0013.jpg)
sabers out! (http://homepage.bysky.nl/~ka1e1/shot0014.jpg)

I used the actual sizes, that i found on the Star Wars Databank and size all the models relative to Obi-Wan. So in these pics Obi-wan is the same size as the player character. Ki Adi Mundi and Yarael Poof were a little harder to do, because of the strange shape of their heads/necks.

Again, nice work.

Ps. Does Ki Adi Mundi support facial animation? If not, are you planning another version that does support it?

-s/<itzo-
12-21-2002, 12:35 AM
nice pics WhiteShdw.

can you give me the character player sizes?

i'm also having a hard time setting up the height of each characters and yours look very accurate.

appreciate it.

Psyk0Sith
12-21-2002, 01:35 AM
Ps. Does Ki Adi Mundi support facial animation? If not, are you planning another version that does support it?

Yep i've added facial anims, but he wasnt meant for that from the beginning so it doesnt look that good. He's got no teeth yet, i was kind of busy working on poof.

very nice pics btw, how did you render that scene?

Luuke
12-21-2002, 05:35 AM
another awesome model!!! GREAT!!!

WhiteShdw
12-21-2002, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by -s/&lt;itzo-
nice pics WhiteShdw.

can you give me the character player sizes?

i'm also having a hard time setting up the height of each characters and yours look very accurate.

Looking at my NPC file:

Yoda: 37

Aayla Secura: 96 This was just guesswork really. They didn't post her height on the Star Wars database.

Obi-Wan: 100 This is my reference model every other size is relative to this one

Mace Windu: 105

Qui-Gon Jinn: Scale Z 108 ScaleX 105 ScaleY 105. I scaled his height a little more than the rest of his body. If you scale the complete model his body looks too big.

Kit Fisto: ScaleZ 109 ScaleX 107 ScaleY 107

Ki Adi Mundi: 103 This one's a little more tricky. He listed as being taller than Kit Fisto, but that's mostly because of his weird head. The shoulder height is actually lower than Kit Fisto's

Yarael Poof: 140 Psyk0's estimate was pretty good. I tried 135 at first, but it didn't seem tall enough.

You can find the heights of a lot of characters at Star Wars.com (http://www.starwars.com) . I just put their height in an Excel sheet and let it calculate the relative height to Obi-wan to get these numbers. I you use another player character, like for example Qui-gon Jinn, you'll have to recalculate the heights again.

very nice pics btw, how did you render that scene? I just lined up some NPC_spawner entities with no default AI(cinematic), to keep them from moving. I built a little square box around it and used some of my DoTF shaders on it. Added some lights and there you go.

-s/<itzo-
12-21-2002, 04:52 PM
thanx for the help WhiteShdw. :D