PDA

View Full Version : Circle Sky Problem

DarkLord_44
11-01-2002, 10:19 PM
I have been trying to make a Circle hole in the roof for the sky. I have been trying and keep getting this:
http://www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/shot0012
http://www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/wrong1
What do I need to do. Thanks

Elijah
11-01-2002, 10:36 PM
the pics arnt working...
*kicks Geocities*

DarkLord_44
11-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Delete the Http://www.

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 10:52 PM
So THATS why you've been asking me about the pit room in DOTF... Why didn't you just say so?

OK, to get this to work right, you have to change the way you've been building it. First, forget about using a cylinder curve. Use two endcaps fit together to form a circle. DOnt ask why, it will make sence in a moment.

Now, select one of them, and go into your menu. Under the curves menu, select "cap" then "reverse endcap". Another menu will pop up. Select "reverse endcap" again, and click OK. BOOM! THat side is closed up. Repeat for the other side, and viola. DONE! You have a hole to look up through, and those reverse endcap caps will block view around it. :)

YOu could have been more descriptive in your email, dude. :)

DarkLord_44
11-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Hehe, thx. I just tried making it tonight it took a long time. I was just trying to get the idea of what I was supposed to do. I will go try this now. eheh Thx a lot :monkey2:

DarkLord_44
11-01-2002, 11:08 PM
WAHOO THX I GOT IT TO WORK. Now for stage 3: the stairs

Shadriss
11-01-2002, 11:10 PM
*shudder*

Why do I get the feeling I've marked myself as an answer man?

:eek: :snipe1:

DarkLord_44
11-01-2002, 11:21 PM
Don't worry I am using prefab hehe

DarkLord_44
11-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Darn I am very sorry this is too complex for me so I have hopefully 1 last question. I am making a cylinder in the ground. In that cylinder I want to put water. In the middle of the cylinder I want to put another cylider. How do I do this lol.
This is what it looks like if you can't understand me.mspaint
http://www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/howto

Shadriss
11-02-2002, 10:24 AM
OK, ,that link didn't work at all... but I dont think I need it.

I am making a cylinder in the ground

Do tht part like the one in the cieling you did. Easy. :)

In the middle of the cylinder I want to put another cylider

Also done like the one in the cieling - the only differancee will be that instead of using two endcaps, use a cylinder here and cap it using the "normal" option. :)

In that cylinder I want to put water.

Trickier. This is basically how it works though -

First, create a brush that fills your cylinder to the height you want the water to be. Texture the whole thing with the "system/caulk_nonsolid" texture. Now, go into the Yavin texture set and find one of the water SHADERS. Not a texture, a SHADER. It'll have a white border (In JK2Rad). Apply the shader to the TOP and BOTTOM faces of the brush ONLY! NO OTHER FACES! Compile, and get out your floaties. :)

DarkLord_44
11-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Wahoo it works thank you very much.

DarkLord_44
11-02-2002, 01:13 PM
I know it seems that I am an idiot and I am so I must bother you people again : ( . OK I have new Map shots up at www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/map.html
I have glass over the water in the center of the room. I put some lights in the water. But it still comes up blurry. What do I do. I made a brush for the glass and I believe I made it a detail brush.

Wudan
11-02-2002, 02:45 PM
What is blurry? The water, or the glass?

DarkLord_44
11-02-2002, 04:07 PM
I fixed it somehow. Well I have yet another question. I gave my friend a copy of the lvl(bsp form) and he can load the lvl but the light and the shaders don't seem to work at all. he only sees gray and black. Updated pics

What i see: www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/map.html
What he sees: www.geocities.com/skx_darkblade/untitled

Shadriss
11-02-2002, 05:17 PM
If you used any custom shaders or textures, those also need to be included in the PK3.

DarkLord_44
11-02-2002, 05:23 PM
I have just used System, Yavin, and common textures and shaders

WhiteShdw
11-02-2002, 07:46 PM
Set your server to unpure by typing sv_pure 0 in the console before you start your map.

Or you can add the tag +sv_pure 0 to your desktop icon.

DarkLord_44
11-03-2002, 02:14 AM
I have the problem again : ( I have glass over the water in the center of the room. I put some lights in the water. But the water still comes up blurry but sometimes it isn't and it is transparent but has the water color to it. Also I don't think it is good that my map is over 2 megabytes and it is only 1 room lol.

DarkLord_44
11-03-2002, 02:20 AM
LOL i just tried the map again and the problem is gone. Ok this is messed up.

Shadriss
11-03-2002, 08:44 AM
If you want, you can zip up the map file and send it to me to look at at shadriss@hotmail.com. I'll take a look as see what's up.

Shadriss
11-03-2002, 01:08 PM
OK, first problem is you have a leak near your window. Small one, but still there. If you're using JK2Radient, then you should have noticed that big thick red line... you need to close up the map.

Second - the water doesn't work. I compiled with no changes (Save fixing the leak) and got a grey solid surface. I think you used the wrong water texture. I'm testing out another one - for some reason only SOME of the water shaders work in MP.

Finally, I'm having a hard time'believing' the enviroment. Glass that not only does not shatter, but is suspended in mid air? With no support? BOTH of those need to be addressed.

Also, while it is a good beginning, it needs a central point of focus. Right now, all it really is is a room with a window and and a skylight with a small pool in the center. It needs something as a focus to the room... right now, it doesn't have one.

DarkLord_44
11-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Hehe thanks I will go see about those problems.

DarkLord_44
11-03-2002, 01:58 PM
I have failed my mission. Can't find the leak and the reason the water doesn't work is glass is over it but the glass is blurry though I have it on detail brush

legameboy
11-03-2002, 03:59 PM
find a way around it, thats what i do

Shadriss
11-04-2002, 12:05 PM
How could having glass several "feet" over the water area make it solid? Doen't make sence. I ssume you taken out that glass to test that theory?

DarkLord_44
11-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Shadriss I can't find the leak can you post a screenshot of where it is or something?

DarkLord_44
11-04-2002, 05:59 PM
YES AFTER MANY HOURS(7 mins) OF SEARCHING I HAVE FOUND THE LEAK. Now time to see about the water.

Shadriss
11-04-2002, 06:03 PM
I've always found that the best search method is using the standard equipped Mark One Mod One Eyeball.

Doesn';t fail that often, if used correctly! :)

DarkLord_44
11-05-2002, 08:47 PM
I have made more than half the level now and I have come to a problem I have used more than 442 brushes on a duel lvl lol. It is 3 megabytes and I need to cut it back for everyones sake and for my 11 minute compile time sake. Shadriss or anyone do you know how to make a circle with both an inside and out for texturing and the circle has thickness and high. Look here this is what I am using but I want a circle to delete about 60 brushes. http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=2421fcb1263b9530df88f7f002e78ea5

Also I have 26 lights lol.

Shadriss
11-06-2002, 07:16 AM
It's a bit complex, but the thick cirlces CAN be done. It will take something on the order of three brushes to do it, and probobly a little hair pulling for you, but here goes...

First, make a cylinder. Make it the size, ,height, etx that you want thie circle to be.

Next, go to "curves/thicken" in your menu. A window will pop up, asking for the thickness (your choice here( and asking if you want to patch the edges or not (yes, you do).

At this point, it's esentially done. Hoever, it'll "cap" both ends of your cylinder, ,and we dont want that. Select the group, and then deselect everything except the bottom cap, then delete it. JOb done - now just fit it over your stairways.

BTW - 800 brushes isn't too bad foir a duel map... to give you a referance, the DOTF Map used just under 6000 brushes for it's entirety.

DarkLord_44
11-06-2002, 05:06 PM
ok thanks for the info :D. Is the number of Lights I have count for how large the compile time is and how big the bsp file is.

DarkLord_44
11-06-2002, 06:41 PM
With that can you texture the inside differenently than the outside because I am having to put 2 inside eachother to do it.

Shadriss
11-06-2002, 07:16 PM
Yes, light entities affect compile time. SO does any dust that may have crept into your map. :)

Yes, you will be able to texture them differently. THey'll be two seperate patches anyways. :)

DarkLord_44
11-06-2002, 07:18 PM
LOl I am so sorry but 1 last question than I think i am done for 2 days lol. Well can I clip the tube like I do a wall and make a hole in it?

Shadriss
11-06-2002, 07:24 PM
No questions for two days? :) I'll believe THAT when I see it.

No, you can't clip curves. So, what you'll have to do is make a standard brush to hold the opening, another to be the back (these need to be the same width) and then use curves to "cap" the sides and make it look round.

DarkLord_44
11-07-2002, 06:16 PM
har har, it has been 23 hours lol and thanks for the reply

DarkLord_44
11-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Har har I am too lazy to do what you suggested because I have spent so long trying to get 1 done and it is taken forever lol.

DarkLord_44
11-08-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, It has been longer then 48 hours so I can ask a question. I have been missing with making the circle walls around the side of the stairs FOR a long time and I still can't get them to fit right. You have any ideas?

DarkLord_44
11-09-2002, 02:33 PM
bump

Shadriss
11-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Keep trying?

Don't know what to tell you.... I cant help you from here on actual button pressing. :)

DarkLord_44
11-09-2002, 03:45 PM
LoL, I know that was a stupid question. I have decided to destroy what I did with the circles and just do some modifications to the walls. I tried compiling into a pk3 but it didn't show up but I am gonna retry tonight (using a tutorial to compiling). I have been trying to make that light shining through the window where if you looking at the side you see that huge beam of light. Shadriss do you know a good shader that looks like something is being held in place by a antigravity device(rockets or something) so that I can make it the glass platforms more physics like hehe.

DarkLord_44
11-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Wahoo time for a stupid question. I am making a pk3 for an alpha test and hey if you have very good detective skills you know I had problems. I put the duel_yavindueltrial.bsp so it goes to /maps, duel_yavindueltrial.jpg to /levelshots, and this is the part that I think messed it up duel_yavindueltrial.arena.txt . I have this inside the duel_yavindueltrial.arena.txt
{
map "duel_yavindueltrial"
longname "Yavin Duel Trial"
type "duel ffa holocron jedimaster team"
}
Plz what did I do?????????

Shadriss
11-10-2002, 12:41 AM
THe problem is your arena file name.

duel_yavintrial.arena.txt is incorrect. The correct filename is duel_yavintrial.arena. NO txt extension. Open it up in notepad (best one for this, really) and SAVE AS "duel_yavintrial.arena"

If it adds the txt extension onto it, simply rename it by left clicking on it and then selecting rename and typing in the correct name.

DarkLord_44
11-10-2002, 12:44 AM
Har Har thank you very much I will try it out now. I LOVE MY STUPID ESSAY THAT I HAVE TO WRITE!!(takes time away from my mapping)

DarkLord_44
11-10-2002, 12:51 AM
Bah the lvl shot doesn't work but the pk3 shows up, time to figure this out. Thank you so much Shadriss.

Shadriss
11-10-2002, 10:07 AM
The levelshot needs to be the standard power of two dimensions (most use 1024 x 1024) so that's the first thing to check. The second is to make sure that the levelshot file name is "duel_yavintrial.jpg" Has to EXACTLY match the bsp name and the arena name.

DarkLord_44
11-10-2002, 11:40 AM
Well the alpha is out. If you feel like see it click there. It is in my profile.