PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis - legalize it?

C'jais
11-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Cannabis=Hash, marijuana, skunk and a bunch of other names I've no clue about.

I think cannabis is the lesser evil compared to alcohol.
-You don't get more aggressive by smoking.
-You stay in relative control of your body, you don't get "numb" like with alcohol.

The only reason alcohol is legal and cannabis isn't, is because of tradition - it has always been accepted that it's okay to drink your brains out, and consequently, there'd be an outcry if alcohol was made illegal.

If a drug was introduced, that had the same effects as alcohol, it'd be made illegal instantly.

Cannabis, OTOH, is only illegal because people are afraid of the mental disorders, which are as bad as alcohol.

Wacky_Baccy
11-09-2002, 01:33 PM
Are you trying to split the Swamp in two with all these controversial threads? :D

I say legalise it :)

Kylilin
11-09-2002, 01:34 PM
As Peter Tosh once sang: "Legalize It"

C'jais
11-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
Are you trying to split the Swamp in two with all these controversial threads? :D

Hehe, thanks for noticing! :thumbsup: :D :p

No seriously, I just a hadden burst of thread ideas....

I'm gonna save the last one for later.

Wacky_Baccy
11-09-2002, 01:39 PM
There aren't all that many more highly controversial topics I can think you might post about... I wonder which it'll be... :D

C'jais
11-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy
There aren't all that many more highly controversial topics I can think you might post about... I wonder which it'll be... :D

Think religion ;)

BTW - I mainly did this because the swamp yet again has become bogged down with "a little game to play" threads and other such instant entertainment.

My threads never live long though :(

NerfYoda
11-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Legalize it

Pot laws fill the jails needlessly.

Its not (that) bad for you.

This would also drive the price down (god willing :))

Wacky_Baccy
11-09-2002, 01:56 PM
Posted by cjais
Think religion ;)
Oh dear :D
BTW - I mainly did this because the swamp yet again has become bogged down with "a little game to play" threads and other such instant entertainment.
I'm very glad you did it - it's a nice change, and it makes (some of) us actually think for a change :)
My threads never live long though :(
It seems that the worthwhile threads rarely do nowadays... :(

So, are you only going to do religion after this? :D

--Edit--
Posted by NerfYoda
This would also drive the price down (god willing :))
LMFAO :lol:

I like the way you think :p :D

-s/<itzo-
11-09-2002, 02:44 PM
What pisses me off is all these people sitting there saying marijuanna shouldn't be legal, it's bad for you. But are those same people saying booze should be legal. Alcohol has proven over and over that it kills people and destroys peoples lives. But yet these alcoholics can go into a bar at six in the morning and sit there drinking until 1 or 3 in the morning and then drive home where they will undoubtley kill an innocent person. But there are no government officials enforcing laws on the booze.

Our country sits here in a defecit of billions. We spend 6 billion dollars a year burning down pot fields, instead of spending 6 billion dollars cracking down on meth labs or getting killers off the streets. Do you realize how much revenue marijuanna would bring if people got their heads out of their asses. So all you complaining shouldn't be legal don't you think we'd better get every pain pill off the shelves? Because it give you the same effect and also can become very addictive and deadly. Take to many and you are dead. Do you also realize that the government are taking away farmers loans, you know the ones who grow the corn you eat at dinner, or that big fat steak you're eating, they are taking away their money and reposing farms, and putting it towards what. Wtf will you eat in five years.

As I sit here smoking a cigarette I think, why the hell is that legal??? There's a warning label on the side of the pack that tells me I will get cancer from smoking them. And guess what, you want to talk about addiction. I can't go three hours before I get all antsy. And yet that is okay. God I'm tired of all the stupidity!!!

While children starve from their own country, the government is spending billions on the war against dope, and millions on trying to make third world countries our allies.

Pots not the problem, the government is!!!

Kstar__2
11-09-2002, 02:50 PM
it's already legal here:D

leXX
11-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Of course legalise it. I smoked from the ages of 16 to 25 and I only stopped because I wanted kids. In all that time, it never did me any harm whatsoever. It is a hell of a lot less dangerous than alcohol and if that is legal, I don't see any reason why weed shouldn't be. The fact that it is illegal makes no difference to ppl who want to smoke it anyway and 9 times outta 10, ppl who get caught are just given a warning.

Bob Marley wrote all his songs while stoned...nuff said.

JediNyt
11-09-2002, 03:07 PM
Negative. Drugs are bad, drugs are bad. Do more positive things. Recreation is the way to go. Its natural, its cool, it pumps you up, and makes you feel good. :)

Oh and play computer games, learn stuff, go to movies, go to SW conventions!

...........uh na man...I jus wanna get stoned...heh heh...heh he. Wow dude whadda great lifffe...I just do **** and dont do ****...hehe...:bored:

Nuff said. :cool:

Darklighter
11-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Even though the drug marketing side of it is bad, I don't seem a lot of harm with legalising it. Ultimately it will do more good than harm:)

Elijah
11-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by cjais
The only reason alcohol is legal and cannabis isn't, is because of tradition - it has always been accepted that it's okay to drink your brains out, and consequently, there'd be an outcry if alcohol was made illegal.
Alcohol doesnt kill brain cells... Pot does.

Elijah
11-09-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
Alcohol doesnt kill brain cells... Pot does.

Originally posted by JediNyt
Negative. Drugs are bad, drugs are bad. Do more positive things. Recreation is the way to go. Its natural, its cool, it pumps you up, and makes you feel good. :)

Oh and play computer games, learn stuff, go to movies, go to SW conventions!

...........uh na man...I jus wanna get stoned...heh heh...heh he. Wow dude whadda great lifffe...I just do **** and dont do ****...hehe...:bored:

Nuff said. :cool:

*ZDawg Starts Clapping* Bravo!

Kjølen
11-09-2002, 03:25 PM
Um... why get high and kill yourslef when it's more fun to PRETEND to be high, then you can remember it! :)

In otherwards, legalize it? Um... riiiiight.

Reb Starblazer
11-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Legalize it... nope, I'm not completly for that. Decriminalize it, control it, treat it as a problem for people instead of sending them off to jail with a mandotory minimun sentance(thank you SOAD), sure, I'm up for that.

In Canada, Marijunana isn't legal, nor is it decriminalized(not yet anyway...). But, we do treat it more as a disease, or a problem. Drug addicts get sent to rehab and the like, for help, not sent to rot in a jail cell. Alcoholics get helped by society, not immediately sent to jail, why should drug addicts be any different? In most provinces in Canada, if you have less than a quarter ounce found on your person, the police don't care. They've got bigger problems than some kid smokin' a J. Now, if you've got a couple pounds, with intention to traffic it, you're pretty much screwed. We don't punish the kids who're smoking the drugs, we punish the people selling it to them.

But say for example, that it does become legal here, or dare I say it, in the States. Think about all the money that the Government could make. They could have certain farmers licenced to grow it, harvest it, and sell it to perhaps Drug Stores and Pharmacies(Hey, I've seen Pharmacies that sell Cigarettes, so this isn't so far fetched...) The goverment could impose taxes on pot, just like on booze and cigs, and bam, a sudden influx of extra tax dollars for the economy. The prices would probably fall a LOT compared to now, and all the people who smoke pot, would then buy it from the goverment, once they're of a certain age of course, and they should only be allowed to smoke so much of it and drive. I know so many people who say it doesn't affect their driving, but sorry, it does. Just like booze, it affects your reaction time, so there should be a limit.

So all in all, decriminalize it? Sure. Legalize it? Possibly. Control it? Most definitely.

Oh, and by the way. I have honestly never done drugs of any kind. Never have, never will. So don't say I'm biased.:D

Thank you for your time.

XERXES
11-09-2002, 04:01 PM
legalize it...im eating right now otherwise id go into detail.

Jah Warrior
11-09-2002, 04:30 PM
well thgis shouldnt even warrant a thread, the fact that its illegal is utterly ridiculous.

imho caffeine is more dangerous, (it probably is too!)
alcohol is CERTAINLY far more dangerous and antisocial,

best thing to do is allow everyone to make an informed choice as to whether or not they smoke dope, educate everyone as to the effects of this drug and then let them make their own decision.

In fact this is the way i feeel about all drugs:- including heroin coke lsd etc.

Once people are armed with the knowledge of what these drugs do, then misuse is not an issue. people should have the right to make their own choices is my point!

Elijah
11-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Reb Starblazer
Oh, and by the way. I have honestly never done drugs of any kind. Never have, never will. So don't say I'm biased.:D

Aye, Me Either... it has never been somthing i wanted to do... If i was going to go and do somthing stupid like have sex (before i was married) i wouldnt want to be stoned out of my mind and not remember it... or dunk.

Darth Talliusc
11-09-2002, 04:50 PM
so many things to say. ok well here it goes:

i think that it should be legalized. mainly because those who smoke it WILL smoke it and keeping it illegal drives the price up and puts money in the druglords stash. i also dont think it should be treated like alcohol. it shouldnt be served in bars at all. it should be sold by the government to those who want it. at a reasonable price. BUT if you were to buy it from the government you must sign up your name and give your information so that the government can track you and prevent you from selling it, and treat you if necessary. While pots effects are different from those of alcohol im not going to say that they are less or more dangerous. pot may effect some ppl worse then others and its effects tend to last for several days (not as a high but ppl are burnt out and not at 100% for the following week if stuff is strong enough).

i know ppl who have smoked themselves stupid and they are only in highschool. their marks have dropped 30% and all they do is weed. it should have a legal age limit no smoking till ur 20 or something.

weed also leads to other harder drugs. not in all cases *the only thing it leads to in ALL cases is snack food :D but in many cases all the same.

i think that pot is one thing that a fair number of the population will try at some point, its an experiment and it can be very helpful for some ppl. but there are some ppl that imo should not touch the stuff. it can ruin lives and should be treated as such.

im not sure what this forums rules are on discussing personal experiences with illegal drugs so i wont mention any, but i will say that ill never do it again. if you want to try it then maybe you should, but dont let yourself fall into it too hard. ive lost a few friends to drugs, first it was just the small stuff but now one of thems doing crack and blew up a car last semester with a cherry bomb during lunchbreak. his life is pretty much over now, only the shell of what used to be.

if its going to be legalized then the gov needs to be VERY careful with it, its dangerous and cant be entrusted to just anybody.

Jah Warrior
11-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Darth Talliusc

if its going to be legalized then the gov needs to be VERY careful with it, its dangerous and cant be entrusted to just anybody.

as careful as they are with alcohol or caffeine they are both addictive unlike ganja...:rolleyes:

also, regarding your comments about your friend going on crack... what has that to do with ganja? it isnt a gateway drug man, believe me if anything ganja has turned me off the harder stuff. I used to do a LOT of ecstasy's coke and amphetamines. weed was like a breath of fresh air. no joke there is something about weed that gets you in tune with the "real world"

*puts soapbox away and rolls a fat one*

Reb Starblazer
11-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Jah Warrior

as careful as they are with alcohol or caffeine they are both addictive unlike ganja...:rolleyes:

also, regarding your comments about your friend going on crack... what has that to do with ganja? it isnt a gateway drug man, believe me if anything ganja has turned me off the harder stuff. I used to do a LOT of ecstasy's coke and amphetamines. weed was like a breath of fresh air. no joke there is something about weed that gets you in tune with the "real world"

*puts soapbox away and rolls a fat one*

No, ganja actually is addictive. While not physically addictive like Alcohol or Caffiene, it is very mentally addicitve. I know plenty of people who are addicted to it, and admit to it. People who's hands are shaking nervously, because they need to smoke a joint, people who can't wait to get out on lunch break so they can get stoned again. It is addictive.

And if pot was not a gateway drug for you, in fact it was the opposite, then you are a very rare type indeed. Marijuana is the most common gateway drug in the world. Multiple studies, polls, questionaires have shown it, most people start with pot and then decide that it's not enough anymore, and move on to the harder stuff. It is nice to hear that you got off all that nasty crap though Jah:)

But, like I said earlier, I'm not against you in this fight. While I don't feel that things like Heroin and Cocaine should be legalized, I do think that Marijuana is not nearly as bad, and could possibly be decriminalized somewhat. But, it should be controlled. Just like alcohol and ciggarettes, and anything else that's potentially dangerous. So I'm not flaming you Jah, we're both kinda going for the same thing here, just in different ways.:D

Breton
11-09-2002, 07:00 PM
Don't legalize it.

It is really bad for you, just as alcohol and tobacco is. Though slowly, it will kill you. And I see no reason to encourage people to use this. As said before weed also leads to heavier drugs.

I also want tobacco and certain types of alcoholic drinks illegal. Simply because it kills you, and I see no reason for people to use it.

C'jais
11-09-2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn
Don't legalize it.

It is really bad for you, just as alcohol and tobacco is. Though slowly, it will kill you. And I see no reason to encourage people to use this. As said before weed also leads to heavier drugs.

I also want tobacco and certain types of alcoholic drinks illegal. Simply because it kills you, and I see no reason for people to use it.

Qui, I can agree with you that both alcohol, tobacco and hash is bad for your body. However, many people need some kind of uplifting drug - something that makes them forget the worldly needs for a moment. And between hash and beer, hash is the lesser evil.

But yes, everything taken to excess is bad for you - everything in this world and the next.

I have an idea for a system to legalize all drugs - another thread idea to be posted soon.

Jah Warrior
11-09-2002, 08:23 PM
oh yeah i just remembered something, i dunno iff its documented elsewhere but its true none the less.

Skunk or weed, NOT Hash actually helps people with asthma if taken without tobacco, sounds silly dont it?

let me explain:-

tobacco causes the air passages to constrict thus causing lack of breath which in an asthmatic can ultimately be fatal in rare cases. OK weed on the other hand causes the lungs to dialate which means it opens up the air ways, this si the reason that if you have good weed you cough, its not because the lungs are being damaged rather than you are using parts of the lung which would other wise remain closed.

A friend of mine who is heavily asthmatic has had a noticable improvement in her condition by smoking neat weed (what a great excuse) hehe

acdcfanbill
11-09-2002, 08:33 PM
I have never, nor will i ever smoke pot... but there is no reason it should be illegal, thats just dumb. Sure there are bad alcoholics, but i have seen bad potheads too, heck, some people get really addicted to pop, it just depends on the person...

Clem
11-09-2002, 08:34 PM
right ... caffiene is not dangerous in neway whatsoever ... and doesnt affect ur brain so much as other drugs it is safe

<slurps out of pint mug of coffee>

also its not addictive at all

<finishes mug .... gets all jittery ... fetches another>

:)

right legalise it ... its no more harmful that alcohol

BUT

DONT SAY IT DOES NO HARM COS IT DOES

it like ne other drug takes ur mood and enhances it ... if ur happy it makes u happier etc.

if ur depressed it makes u more depressed ... and if u smoke alot of it ... i can really **** u up trust me ive seen it happen

and it is addictive

Elijah
11-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Your saying Coffee and Acohol are Equal?

Clem
11-09-2002, 08:41 PM
im not Z ... sum1 else might be

right .... gateway drug

cannabis cant be a gateway drug .... but only to the easily addicted

this however ... is true of ne drug

except the lesser drugs like caffiene

C'jais
11-09-2002, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
I have never, nor will i ever smoke pot... but there is no reason it should be illegal, thats just dumb. Sure there are bad alcoholics, but i have seen bad potheads too, heck, some people get really addicted to pop, it just depends on the person...

Yeah, pot isn't innocent.

But the thing to remember is, the sideeffects of alcohol are so much worse - not only to yourself, but alcohol will generally make you agrresive and violent towards others. Cannabis generally won't make you do anything stupid to others, it calms and uplifts you.

If joints were sold just as cigarettes, there'd be no need for people to try experiementing with harder drugs.

I say we give people the choice - let them choose between alcohol and hash. Maybe some people will find greater pleasure in smoking and will begin to drink less or even stop. Either way, it'll get more people off the booze since at least some dudes are spending more time smoking "harmless" weed and less time smashing people up on the streets due to booze. And it'll always be possible to quit the whole thing if it turns out to be a bad idea.

Elijah
11-09-2002, 08:51 PM
Bah... I don’t think it really matters... if you think ganja is going to fix problems you have or get you away from reality, than be my guest... I just know that you will be let down.

And I do *NOT* mean that in a religious way.

Clem
11-09-2002, 09:14 PM
i agree with zdawg ....

legalising pot will not solve ne problems

it may however ease our prison and our police forces load

the police seem to be spending alot of time chasing pot .... which could be better spent

and money

Jah Warrior
11-10-2002, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by ZDawg
Bah... I don’t think it really matters... if you think ganja is going to fix problems you have or get you away from reality, than be my guest... I just know that you will be let down.

And I do *NOT* mean that in a religious way.

believe me ganja dont take you "away" form reality, it clarifies what reality is.

pros:- ganja makes you laugh
it makes you concentrate and focus
it smells nice
it makes you more empathic
it makes you more careful
it helps people with addiction problems
it is the very best cure for insomnia

cons:- its expensive
it does mess with your memory
abuse can make you withdraw form society
not a good idea to drive when stoned
slows reaction time.

Kstar__2
11-10-2002, 06:28 AM
more pro's than con's, that's why it is already legal here:D

Redwing
11-10-2002, 06:31 AM
I don't know. I think it's stoopid the way they're dealing with it now. And it doesn't make sense - alcohol is worse (besides the gateway thing) yet alcohol is legal! And so are cigarettes. Yeah, it's a cultural thing, but it's STUPID!

I say if it should be illegal, so should cigarettes and alcohol. That won't happen, huh? Fine, legalize it. I'll never, ever, touch it. But I'll never, ever, drink or smoke either.

JediNyt
11-10-2002, 06:37 AM
If its the best answer to a medical problem then ok use it. Any other case dont do it. If you read my above post it says it all right there. Do something else with your life. Why do **** when you dont have to? Wheres the logic in doing it for fun? Its not real fun. Rock climbing is real fun, or skiing, surfing, biking, backpacking. Join the army for all I care. Get a life!:roleyess:

mima kake
11-10-2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by kstar__2
more pro's than con's, that's why it is already legal here:D

I'ts not actual legal to grow it.
But it is legal to own 5 grams.
I'ts more like it is decrimminalized

The rules about soft drugs here are realy weird over here.

and the thing about using it and beeing adictive.
I'ts all up to the person who use it.

The times it smoked it realy maked me think and think and think about life.
But I din't feel diconected with the world at al.

the down side here in holland is that a lot of people smoke it but are drinking as well and some times it will get ugly.
(i've seen people realy got messed up by that combination)

And yes it does harm your body.
But hey Who want's to live for ever:D

Kstar__2
11-10-2002, 07:58 AM
it's true what mima says, i will never use it, or smoke. the rules in the netherlands are sortof like this: there are stores where you can buy cannabis, wich is legal, but you cannot grow cannabis to sell to others, so, they can sell it if they want, but they are not alowed to grow it:confused:

C'jais
11-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by JediNyt
Rock climbing is real fun, or skiing, surfing.

*Sighs*

I wish I lived in a country that has mountains - the highest hill this forsaken land has is about 150 meters high :eyeraise: Go figure....

Surfing? Sounds fun, if we had the weather for it... :(

I do agree, to an extent - except that you need to be careful how you enforce the popular view of how a life should be lived down on others. Some people find joy in pushing their bodies to the limit by rock climbing or skiing - some people do the same with alcohol and hash. It's all about experiencing new sensations.

Jah Warrior
11-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by cjais

I do agree, to an extent - except that you need to be careful how you enforce the popular view of how a life should be lived down on others. Some people find joy in pushing their bodies to the limit by rock climbing or skiing - some people do the same with alcohol and hash. It's all about experiencing new sensations.

Jais man you got it one, I dont and never will accept a government or anyone for that matter determine what is and is not right for me. I mean jesus christ its a plant that grows in the wild and has been used for millenia by humans the world over, teh worst it can do is make you forget to go to work ;)

its positive effects far outweigh the negative and thats a fact.

One thing i notice is that its the people that havent tried it that feel it should be illegal. hence i offer this statement. Is this because of informed views or by the cultural brainwashing that takes place by government organisations and the media?

I was vehemently anti drugs until i actually tried them. OK i started out on e's and speed and have since found them to be bad, weed on the other hand i can not fault. I for one would oppose making ecstasy or speed legal yet drawing form my experience i simply can not see the justification in keeping weed illegal while things like caffeine and alcohol are legal.

Another tidbit of info for you:-

were you aware that hemp (marijuana) which is used for making rope, cloth etc, was campaigned against by du-pont just as they invented nylon. Therefore would it not be fair to say that one of the reasons that ganja was prohibited be for monetary gain?!?! think about it!

Reb Starblazer
11-10-2002, 10:46 AM
I'm posting in here a lot, becuase it's something I know about and have an opinion on ... and also because I'm avoiding the creation and abortion threads like the plague. Not gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole...:D

Anyway, I'm not so sure about the "clarifying the world for you" part. I've seen people become stoned and stare at their hand moving for half an hour. Personally, I'd call that pretty disconnected from the world.

I've also seen people become aggressive from weed. No, really it's true. I've seen people who everytime they get stoned, they want to fight people. There are also people (I'm one of them) who become extremely friendly, and even social when I drink, not violent at all. This is the exact opposite of what you guys just said that they always do to you. Just trying to give another point of view on the subject here.

To me, pot is no more evil than alcohol. But I've seen a lot worse things happen to people from drugs than from booze (so far anyway). I know people, that since they started doing drugs, their grades have dropped drastically. My Chemistry teacher, one day in class, got out the grade book for the past few years. By looking at the grades, he told every one of the potheads when they started, and he was right everytime. I also know someone who has literally "smoked himself retarded". He's incredibly mentally slow now, from doing so much pot. Shame too, he was such a bright fellow...

Like I said, I'm more for controlled decriminalization than I am for completely legalizing it. All the people that smoke it illegally would start buying it from the government because it would be cheaper than buying it from dealers, drug cartels in other countries would lose revenue(the only reason pot is expensive is because they can charge whatever they want), which would also cause a lot of terrorist organizations to lose a LOT of money, benefitting pretty much everyone. A lot less people would go to jail for such a petty crime, tax dollars would be saved from this(not to forget earned from selling the pot).

But it should be controlled, same as alcohol and cigs, I can't stress this enough. I can't drive or go out in public drunk, I don't think you should be allowed to do it stoned either. No drug is "harmless", that's why it's called a drug. It does harm your mind and body, same as alcohol, same as cigarettes. Personally, I can't understand why cigarrettes are legal. At least alcohol and pot can make you happy in expense for a bit of harm to your body, all smoking does is make you dead...

C'jais
11-10-2002, 10:53 AM
Very true Reb.

Of course, there are exceptions to the rule the "Smoking makes you calm and relaxed and Alcohol makes you violent" - but it generally is that way.

About your friend and your classmates, I'm very sorry to hear that - but as I said earlier, everything taken to excess is bad. Heck, even vitamins can kill you if you overdose.

I, too, believe that hash should be controlled just as alcohol, with an age cap as well. In Denmark, you can buy booze when you're 15 and buy ciggies from the moment you have the money...

Darth Talliusc
11-10-2002, 11:09 AM
Jah Warrior: i respect you as a person and as a poster on these forums but i think we have to agree to disagree here.

your arguement that its found naturally in nature makes it fine, and that the worst it can do to you is make you late for work is a bit off.

natural poisons are also found in nature and some tribes of old got a certain high by poisoning themselves to a nonlethal degree, it was still dangerous and it still resulted in fatalities. not that weed is THAT dangerous (think i read a report that said to die from straight weed you'd have to smoke 1.5 times your body weight). and as for weed "clarifying the world" i really have to disagree there, for me it made everything stranger, it was like zooming in on one thing but i couldnt change the focus. not clear at all. but HEY thats just me i could be a special case. fact is that if the potency is high enough then you will hallucinate off marijuana. ive seen this proven to me.

my friend is 6'4 and skinny as a twig. he smoked a quarter in my backyard when i was having a party and was convinced that he saw gremlins and toads all over the place for the rest of the night. hes not the bull****ting type and i believe that he saw what he saw.

im glad to hear that you worked your way down to weed from E and speed but i think that you probably know that you're a rare case. weed is a gateway drug and it can lead to other stuff more often then not. you seem like a responsible guy and from what ive read of YOUR reactions to smoking weed i have no problem with hearing that you go out and bust a J in the yard. its ppl that are less responsible then you that worry me.

you stated that the pro's outweigh the cons and that that was a fact. im sorry but that may well be true for you and any number of other ppl but its not a blanket FACT. sometimes the negative effects of weed are far greater then the high you get. my sister flunked her final exam in calculus because she was so highstrung that she needed to calm down and chose to smoke. the next day she was burnt to **** and forgot everything.

and yes weed isnt nearly as physically addictive as cofee or alcohol but as Reb said it IS mentally addictive. some ppl become social smokers and then they dont feel comfortable with other ppl unless they're high. if they're in a group situation they NEED that buzz.

if everybody who smoked weed was responsible with it i would have NO objections to its legalization. but many ppl arent responsible tokers and thats why we need strong government control over it.

edit: and one more con for your list that you may have forgotten: weed causes impotence. *listens to 95% of Lf shudder and laughs*