PDA

View Full Version : Disney

elTee
11-13-2002, 06:16 PM
So, whats your favourite Disney movie?
For me its Beauty and the Beast. Closely followed by the Lion King. I just bought the newly released Beauty and the Beast collectors DVD, you see, and its on my mind.
Here's an idea - as Disney released Beauty and the Beast on IMAX with new scenes, then did a special collectors DVD, do you think they'll do it with other movies? Hopefully yes, and the Lion King will be next. Oh well, do you guys still admit to liking Disney, or are you all "Its for kids and girls" - ie, in denial?

Rogue Nine
11-13-2002, 08:22 PM
In terms of storyline and character elements, I agree. Beauty and the Beast was certainly the best I've seen in a long time. In terms of eye candy, I liked the Hunchback of Notre Dame (even though they screwed it up and changed the ending) and Hercules (which they screwed up the ass).

The Adventurer
11-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Atlantise: Lost Empire is the greatest Disney movie ever. Followed closly by Toy Story 1 and 2, Bugs Life, and Monster Inc.

jimmycracker
11-13-2002, 10:57 PM
I don't like any of them that were made after 1990.

Eets
11-13-2002, 11:13 PM
When I was younger, The Lion King was teh 1337.. :D

Aladdin is a close second..

ckcsaber
11-14-2002, 12:27 AM
I used to like Aladdin a lot. Plus I bought the game for SNES.

Alien426
11-14-2002, 01:38 AM
The Jungle Book!

mercatfat
11-14-2002, 02:04 AM
Aladdin, definately. It needs a DVD release as feature filled as Beauty and the Beast, and soon.

C Shutt
11-14-2002, 02:22 AM
I'm going to throw my support behind The Jungle Book.

scabb
11-14-2002, 07:02 AM
Nice Topic :)

1. Aladdin
2. The Lion King
3. The Jungle Book

Aladdin was brilliant - I've noticed that with the more recent Disney films, the soundtracks have been a little shoddy. The story was also extremely fun, too. Same with the Lion King. I haven't watched The Jungle Book for a long time, but it definetely belongs up there. Also worth noting are Toy Story and Dumbo.

scabb
11-14-2002, 07:07 AM
Literally seconds after posting that, I skipped over to Animation Planet (http://www.animationplanet.net) to read the news:

Originally posted as news by 8 of 12
Jungle Book II Wrapped

Production on The Jungle Book II is now wrapped, and is slated to hit the cinemas in the US on February 7th. It was originally set to be a direct to video release.

What can we expect? Singing. Dancing. Bear Neccessities. A rather strange cast of voices (Haley Joel Osmet as Mowgli, John Goodman as Baloo, Phil Collins as Lucky the Vulture).

I'm experiencing ambivolance about this one. I have yet to see a good sequel come from Disney's direct to video releases

I agree with the last sentence. Return of Jafar sucked. And I haven't seen Simba's Pride.

guybrush guy
11-14-2002, 09:23 AM
i've been told about, disney spoofs. such as when you watch "The Loin King" when simba falls down onto the ground and dust flys in the air becuse of it, it spell the word "sex."
i have seen the one with the cover for "The Little Mermaid" and it is true about the part of the castle looking like a mans penis.

Rogue Nine
11-14-2002, 10:54 AM
Ugh, those things are awful.

I never, ever watch Disney's direct to video sequels. They are crap incarnate. Travesties not to be watched, except by little kids who don't know any better.

Sopabuena
11-14-2002, 11:10 AM
If you don't count Pixar's films I would have to say The Jungle Book.
Oh and I hated Mulan.

The Adventurer
11-14-2002, 01:11 PM
How can they do a Jungle Book Sequal? The Man who did Baloo's voice died. I'll be sacralige with anyone else.

Rogue Nine
11-14-2002, 01:29 PM
No....NOT BALOO!!!!!!

Jake
11-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Did you not watch Tale Spin?

The Adventurer
11-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Jake
Did you not watch Tale Spin?

Hell yeah, best cartoon show EVER. But the guy who did Baloo's voice died after the show was canceled.

QueZTone
11-14-2002, 02:40 PM
argh not fair! i replied before but now its not showing, booyah!

anyway in short what i typed earlier today:

Toy Story was amazing. STOP.
Belle and Beast okay but not best too fairytale like. STOP.
Aladdin nice and exotic indy like. STOP.
Lion's King really good. STOP.

i think that was about it?

i really think some of the 3d panning shots from Tarzan are BEAUTIFUL and that's how they should all be at Disney :)

elTee
11-14-2002, 03:00 PM
Yeah, those sequels bite. Apparantly "Simbas Pride" was exactly the same as the Lion King, but Simba was the dad.
The disney spoofs thing is funny, on the directors commmentary for Beauty and the Beast they say whenever gaston looks through belle's books he's looking for a centre-fold.
Toy Story 1 & 2, as well as Monsters Inc. were funny, but not real classics in my opinion. When I think of Disney I think of hand drawn animation. That said, the computer generated bits in Aladdin / Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King (The lava eruption when Abu touches the lamp, the dance scene and the stampede respectively) all look amazing.

Hellbeard
11-14-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by guybrush guy
i've been told about, disney spoofs. such as when you watch "The Loin King" when simba falls down onto the ground and dust flys in the air becuse of it, it spell the word "sex."
i have seen the one with the cover for "The Little Mermaid" and it is true about the part of the castle looking like a mans penis.
LoL, there was this one on the original version of "the Rescuers".
There was one frame that has a picture of a naked women for like half a second. Then they rereleased it. The origianl sells for a lot on eBay I think.

The Adventurer
11-14-2002, 05:15 PM

Those are myths, when simba hits the ground the dust spell SFX after the effects studio who worked on LK.

The towers are all shaped as spires, the guy who drew it was up all night just drawing TONs of those spires for the box, all of them had to be different. Somehow by accident one came out looking like a wang. Niether of these are Disneys chose or falt.

The Resuer one was an animator drawing it in, he was fired for it when found out(I think).

Hellbeard
11-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I think so, but I know for fact that that mermaid spire was a penis, I'll try to find a picture of it.

Btw, I own that little mermaid package!

EDIT:
http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/mermcvr.jpg

http://www.snopes.com/disney/graphics/phallic.gif

Rogue Nine
11-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Honestly, who the **** would look that close?

mercatfat
11-14-2002, 06:54 PM
http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/films.asp

Just read through that.

Ztev
11-14-2002, 07:20 PM
Mercatfat beat me to the post. Myths is right. Snopes (http://www.snopes.com) is the one.

I haven't seen a lot of Disney films, but not counting the Pixar films (Toy Story, Toy Story II, Bugs Life, Monsters Inc.) cause I attribute them to Pixar not Disney, I'd say Alladdin is definitly one of my favourites. Great animation as always, Robin Williams is great and the music's fantastic. More recently, The Emperors New Groove had a few laughs, and I also saw Atlantis which was okay. Most of the disney films come off ok, but they need a new zing like they had when they had their resurgance with A little mermaid, Alladdin, Beauty, and Lion King.

Anyone see Titan AE, by Fox? It wasn't that great. Fox's big animation facility was shut down after that.
Though, Ice Age did well for them. Ice Age was good.

Iron Giant wasn't bad.

Next up for Disney is
Treasure Planet (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/treasureplanet/).

guybrush guy
11-14-2002, 09:27 PM
that was very imfomative mercatfat, thank you

Yoghurt
11-15-2002, 03:59 AM
Actually, I didn't like Beauty and the Beast that much...

Movies I did enjoy where most certainley The Rescuers Down Under. Also I liked Aladdin and loved Lion King.
Jungle Book is also one of my favorites.

itsgood2slide
11-15-2002, 06:58 AM
I have never been a fan of disney, even in my youth, but I did enjoy The Jungle Book a lot.

What was Tale Spin? It rings a bell...

scabb
11-15-2002, 07:15 AM
Yeah, Tale Spin rings a bell with me too - seems to be one of those shows that's not prominent enough to mark the mind.

Anyway, go here (http://www.talespin.net) for a site that leads to a webring.

BooJaka
11-15-2002, 11:54 AM

I would be worried if it was a wonan's penis...

bgbennyboy
11-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Aw come on everyone remembers Talespin.
Altogether now "Ooh-eh-ou, Talespin....."

Gabez
11-15-2002, 10:07 PM
Iím not a huge fan of Disney. Although I do remember watching Pete Pan 500 times since it was on everyday on the Disney Channel.

sheaday6
11-15-2002, 10:11 PM
I liked the short cartoon about goofy tuning into a maniac when he got in a car.

JollyRoger
11-16-2002, 02:04 PM
doesn't anyone else like the nightmare before christmas?:D

Alien426
11-16-2002, 02:15 PM
Sure do, great music. I guess I'm an Elfmaniac.

"Spin-it-let's-begin-it-bear-'n-grin-it-when-you're-in-it-you-can-win-it-in-a-minute-when-you-spin-it-spin-it-spin-it!"

*huff, huff* Anyone got a spare lung?

scabb
11-16-2002, 05:30 PM
Nightmare before christmas is great.

I want the DVD.

sheaday6
11-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Danny Elfman is a baller

ginger
11-16-2002, 09:34 PM
Ugh, not Talispin! I never really liked that show. Same goes for chip & dale rescue rangers, I hated that show for some reason, as well as all the shows made after hit Disney animated movies (such as Aladdin, Hercules, the Little Mermaid.....)
The movies I like best are all are the ones that are super old. Like the way 101 Dalmatians was. I guess Peter Pan was one of my favorites, don't know why though. Dumbo and bambi were OK too, I was never upset at the famous hunt part in bambi though, maybe I was too young to really care about it.
i don't really like any of the ones after Beauty and the Beast, maybe the Rescuers Down Under, that was pretty good as a sequal (considering it was Disney's first-ever sequal, too.) I really didn't like Hunchback, I think they totally screwed up the story even though some say it looked good. I didn't like Pocohantas at all, that was just weird, and I don't really care all that much for all the new ones with moving backgrounds and stuff, like in Tarzan or Mulan. Admittedly Mulan's music was OK but I disliked the storyline, and Tarzan, I don't know, it was OK but I sure wasn't wild about it. I liked it better when they had the rough sort of backgrounds and slightly scratchy, old feel to them.

JollyRoger
11-17-2002, 09:58 PM
the dvd is nice:D

elTee
11-18-2002, 06:15 AM
Of course, when we talk about non-animated Disney, you all know what's coming over the horizon... Monkey Island lookalike Pirates of tha Carribean!

BooJaka
11-18-2002, 01:29 PM
Have you been building up to that one since the beginning?

elTee
11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
Lol, no. It was about Beauty and the Beast. But it is relevant, and as we've pretty much reached the end of the topic...

elTee
11-19-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Me
as Disney released Beauty and the Beast on IMAX with new scenes, then did a special collectors DVD, do you think they'll do it with other movies? Hopefully yes, and the Lion King will be next.

You won't believe this, but...
I just went to see Harry Potter at the cinema, and there was a trailer for IMAX Lion King!!! Opens on christmas day! Thats really creepy...