View Full Version : Door questions
11-16-2002, 05:11 PM
1) when i select a door direction, How do I know which is the proper direction to use on the grid. is it the following
90 = y
360 = x
270 = -y
180 = -x
2) Area portals. as long as it is the size of the door, and is narrower than the doors thinckness, it is used properly, right?
3)triggering a door to open.
any clearer tutorials than rich's for this?
1. The angle selector thing is positioned like north, south, east and west. Switch to the top view in the main window, and then select the direction you want to move it in. So if you click on the right/east button, that moves it the same was as right/east on the top view of the Radiant grid.
2. I think so. Use r_showtris 1 to find out.
3. Could you be more specific?
11-16-2002, 07:01 PM
Well, if you mean a button to open a door, I tried Rich's, got very confused. I am wondering the same.
11-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Every time a door is targeted by something, firing that target will open the door (or close it if you select the start_open flag). The door will wait wait seconds befroe moving to it's original position.
11-17-2002, 07:09 AM
With areaportals remember also that there must not be any way around the door, like windows. If you make a frame for a door and turn it detail brushes, your areaportal must also cover it. Someone once claimed an areaportal must be only one unit thick, but as far as I have used them (with success) thickness does not matter that much. Well, I still have areaportals that are not working (who knows for what reason. Luckily they are still ten times easier to use than hint brushes - boy, you really must experiment with those...).
And (obviously) a door with a toggle flag will need one trigger event to open, and a second event to close.
11-17-2002, 04:26 PM
i actually made a perfect trigger to a door.
I do belive the reason that Richs' tutorials confuse me is due to hte fact that they are all to be done IN ORDER.
I've noticed that if you jst go to look for a specific tutorial, you may have to look in the previous one to clarify something.
Its his fault not ours, Altus_Thrawn, lol
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.