PDA

View Full Version : Which SW film had the best special FX?


ondrahosek
11-17-2002, 06:47 AM
So... another poll. Vote if you have an opinion!

C'jais
11-17-2002, 07:12 AM
Eh? :eyeraise:

I'd like some good opinions as to why it shouldn't be episode 2, personally.

Srikin Talilles
11-17-2002, 10:02 AM
Episode II has the greatest FX. But when Episode III comes out....:p

Murdoch
11-17-2002, 10:12 AM
What's great FX then? Is it the FX that has the most grandiose spectacular battles and environments.. or is it the FX that gives a movie 'the feel'.

Frankly, the last two movies have been nothing but cgi without any hint of soul or dedication. Stereotypes when they are at their worst.

C'jais
11-17-2002, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Murdoch
What's great FX then? Is it the FX that has the most grandiose spectacular battles and environments.. or is it the FX that gives a movie 'the feel'.

Frankly, the last two movies have been nothing but cgi without any hint of soul or dedication. Stereotypes when they are at their worst.

That might be true, but they did have the best SFX.

Murdoch
11-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Well the whole point of my question was 'what is good SFX?'

Imo you can't just look at the scenery. I think its mostly because of the FX that the acting sucked so much. Thus the effects have ruined the movie and can hardly be called good SFX.

Clemme w/Stick
11-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Ep 2, even though some of them made the film look kinda stupid from time to time....

*runs and hides under my bed!!*

-Clemme

C'jais
11-17-2002, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Murdoch
Well the whole point of my question was 'what is good SFX?'

Imo you can't just look at the scenery. I think its mostly because of the FX that the acting sucked so much. Thus the effects have ruined the movie and can hardly be called good SFX.

Honestly, I find the action scenes in Ep1+2 much more believable and realistic - way better at sucking you into the universe.

No, ep1+2's action scenes didn't suck, they were delivered beautifully and were much better at presenting the universe in a convincable and fantastic way.

Compared to the prequels, the original trilogy practically didn't have any "action" scenes, IMHO.

Jed
11-17-2002, 11:12 AM
Let's be nice here....


Well, I do have to say Ep. 2.

Despite how much it sucked, would anyone really say there were better graphics in ANH or ESB?

Mex
11-17-2002, 11:16 AM
Episode 2, I like all of it apart from the most annoying person in the film

Anakin piewalker oops I mean Skywalker :D

Who ever played him is such a crap actor!
He sounds rediculess

Sivy
11-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Ep II has fantastic sfx, but all of them were revolutionary at the time that they were made

ET Warrior
11-17-2002, 01:38 PM
It depends on if you're saying which one has the best special effects NOW, or which one has the best for the time. Because now a lot of movies have really awesome computer effects. But back when star wars first came out it revolutionized the field of special effects.

Taos
11-17-2002, 01:49 PM
This is an easy one..

AOTC :D

I do have a feeling that ep 3 will have some kewl effects as well :p

C'jais
11-17-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
It depends on if you're saying which one has the best special effects NOW, or which one has the best for the time. Because now a lot of movies have really awesome computer effects. But back when star wars first came out it revolutionized the field of special effects.

I'd say the animated Yoda is quite revolutionary too, with flowing robes et all.

The question is, can you make ep3 look even better than ep2? :confused: They've kinda reached the barrier, without going into full blown 3d virtual reality, IMO.

Clemme w/Stick
11-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Cjais


I'd say the animated Yoda is quite revolutionary too, with flowing robes et all.

The question is, can you make ep3 look even better than ep2? :confused: They've kinda reached the barrier, without going into full blown 3d virtual reality, IMO.

You have a point...! Lets pray that they wont do that, I mean a completely CG Star Wars movie...! I couldnt imagaine that!!

-Clemme

Jedi_Monk
11-17-2002, 02:46 PM
You can't say that the FX have sucked the life out of Star Wars, because Star Wars has always and without exception used the most state of the art effects in the movie industry... which is basically what ET Warrior said :D

What it's always been about is George Lucas, pushing the envelope of effects so that he could tell the story that he wanted to tell, how he wanted to tell it. And as for acting... if you think that Hayden Christensen is any worse than Mark Hamill, then there's something wrong with you :eyeraise:

I think Lucas has reached the level where he can do just about anything with the effects ILM can manage. And the fact that so many people see CG where there was an actual, physical model is just testament to how far CGI technology has come. Episode II definately has the best effects of the bunch, so far... it's a progressive thing ;)

http://members.aol.com/dannilalfletch/Jedi_Monk.jpg

Agen
11-17-2002, 03:55 PM
yoda but ep2 is the best. BUT YODA!!!!!!

teutonicknight
11-17-2002, 11:10 PM
EP2, the clone war scene/ arena battle was awesome on the big screen. Plus yoda looked real good, I could barely tell the difference between the puppet and the digital yoda.

JediNyt
11-17-2002, 11:33 PM
AOTC duh, cause its the newest one made. So of course the special effects are the newest and greatest. :roleyess:

Elijah
11-17-2002, 11:49 PM
mmm... I like the FX from the last 2 SW's but the story line is much better in the first 3...

Darth Groovy
11-18-2002, 12:06 AM
Althought Empire is still my favorite movie, I would venture to say that Episode2 has the best effecst so far. You can't top an animated ass kickin' Yoda, or the big Trade Federation/Clone Battle!

acdcfanbill
11-18-2002, 03:02 AM
everyone raves about the Eps2 SFX, and i agree they are great, but the space battle in RotJ just cannot be beat in my mind (im a space junkie i know :D)... even the battle in Eps1 pales in comparison, i dunno why, it has always held a special place in my heart... :D

BCanr2d2
11-18-2002, 04:38 AM
I think all of the movies have had the best SFX at the time. It is hard to imagine how far they were able to take CGI from the cutting edge stuff in TPM, to what can be done now......

They invented GO-motion in TESB.....

So, over time they have always led the way, just look at the LOTR:FOTR pre-viz animatics, used after Peter Jackson talked to Rick McCallum, and you will see how close to the real thing the animated pre-viz is.....