PDA

View Full Version : JKII or KOTOR?

Lord Glorfindel
12-06-2002, 11:11 PM
:lsduel: When KOTOR comes out do you believe JKII will get less community attention?

Rogue15
12-06-2002, 11:35 PM
yeah.

p.s. your sig, while nice, is a little too big.

Com Raven
12-07-2002, 06:55 AM
no.

these two games are much to different, and BioWare handles their community stuff themselves as far as possible...

Hannibal
12-07-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
yeah.

p.s. your sig, while nice, is a little too big.

Wow! If you post anything more than one line you've already taken up half the page. ;)

Com Raven
12-07-2002, 12:52 PM
you know guys, long posts still just count as 1 :)

Taos
12-07-2002, 03:40 PM
Man have you been there recently?? The JKii.net community is already slowly dying......:(

But like Com has said.....Knights is an rpg and JO is a fps.

TheMadDoofer
12-07-2002, 04:37 PM
But it probably will create a giant rush of newbies our way, leaving JK2 in the dust, unless some big mod comes out for it.

Com Raven
12-07-2002, 06:19 PM
you should be happy to get rid of all those trendy kids and the fact that the hardcore will stay...

adillon
12-07-2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by TheMadDoofer
unless some big mod comes out for it
as in ProMod 3? check it out when you have the chance.

i for one am looking forward to KotoR, but in no way will i be departing the land of JK2. com said it ... they are two different types of games ... it's like comparing apples and oranges.

starwarsman77
12-08-2002, 01:04 AM
jk2 has very good multiplayer value, and a huge community. kotor, although groundbreaking, has no multi and will not sap the jk2 fellowship. There is no question that kotor is far better in the sp department, but in the end, both have great value. :D

Com Raven
12-08-2002, 07:33 AM
yeah, no need to start a new xx vs xy discussion...

TheMadDoofer
12-08-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by adillon

as in ProMod 3? check it out when you have the chance.

i for one am looking forward to KotoR, but in no way will i be departing the land of JK2. com said it ... they are two different types of games ... it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Something bigger than that. A sort of total conversion like the DF mod.

Com Raven
12-08-2002, 03:27 PM
I don't like tcs....

what's the point in playing JK II if it has nothing to do with JK II...

Darth Simpson
12-08-2002, 04:40 PM
Mods are good. They extend the life of the game.

JKII is already getting less and less attention from me, so it'll probably just collect dust on the shelf after KOTOR is out.

Taos
12-08-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm actually playing JO for the Xbox right now.......it's fun and will keep me busy til Kotor comes out.....or until I pick up Splinter Cell, Mech Assault, and LIVE! :D

Com Raven
12-08-2002, 05:25 PM
I can only recommend all three of them :)

Taos
12-08-2002, 05:35 PM
They are all awesome aren't they? :D I just need to save my money to buy Christmas gifts....then we'll see what I have left.

Most importantly I'm saving for Knights. ;) :D

Rogue15
12-08-2002, 10:20 PM
I got a list of games lined up for my xbox i'm getting them in this order:

Turok-this week hopefully
Mech Assault-for christmas possibly
Halo-for my birthday :D
Jedi Outcast-with birthday money (if i get any)
KOTOR
[whatever cool games are out]
Project Ego (Fable)

Naphtali
12-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Your right, your community will get rush of newbies just popping in over night with every annoying question possible, and a lot of you will get tired of it and leave.

Just like JO

Aliasalpha
12-09-2002, 03:56 AM
Unfortunately, KOTOR will probably have a relatively short life since there's neither modding nor multiplayer and it's these things that keep a game alive in the community. I think bio will have to get working on sequels/expansions soon after release.

Taos
12-09-2002, 05:19 AM
It will be interesting to see how it plays itself out.......Alias has brought up some great points.

Originally posted by Naphtali
Your right, your community will get rush of newbies just popping in over night with every annoying question possible, and a lot of you will get tired of it and leave.

I'm not gonna leave........Com is just gonna have to work a little harder during that time. :D Maybe have to have some threads stickied and make them glow in the dark so that you can't miss them.

but someone always does.........

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 06:36 AM
we handle newbies since the beginning, so oh well....

Rogue, I'd really think about getting Turok, unless you're a huge fan of it...

Wolf Devil
12-09-2002, 08:41 AM
I'm not a real big fan of FPS, though I've played quite a few. I stick to JO for its unique style, and because Artifex is trying to breath new life to it..... And cuz I aint got no money :D . I DO intend to get KoTOR if possible, since I like RPGs alot and I like the idea of KoTOR and what I've heard of so far it sounds to be cool. JO will die very soon, I fear.. It'll last another year at best in my opinion... But we must be devoted to it for it last! I'll enjoy the RPG genre again, after bein away from it for so long, however I will never forget JO, nor the joy it brought me, nor the best type of battling there is: Right there with your enemy. KoTOR will be "attack this person, back off, wait your turn, get attacked, my turn, attack" while JO action is always right in your face: You're the one controlling your character, you can implement skills and tactics into hte fighting. Like Com Raven said (a regular on KoTOR forums), it's like comparing apples and oranges.. and for the record for this post I'm forgetting that I don't like apples and love oranges :D

Rogue15
12-09-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Com Raven

Rogue, I'd really think about getting Turok, unless you're a huge fan of it...

thing is, i am a huge fan of it.. =/ I own all the turoks on n64 ,and have beaten them all...Turok Evolution is what they tried to do in Turok 3 and failed at (still an alright game though, just too damn short). I played Turok Evolution on PS2 and pretty much enjoyed it apart from the brutal lack of save points.

http://www.turok.com/evolution/images/indexart_B.jpg

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 09:55 AM
that changes things of course :)

Rogue15
12-09-2002, 02:52 PM
so, what's splinter cell like? Is it better than MGS? :D

Wolf Devil
12-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Aint this suppost to be about JO vs KoTOR?

Hannibal
12-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Wolf Devil
Aint this suppost to be about JO vs KoTOR?

Ok.

JO=dieing
KoTOR=not born yet

Happy?:)

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 03:30 PM
Rogue, it's honestly one of the best games I ever played.

Wolf Devil
12-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal

Ok.

JO=dieing
KoTOR=not born yet

Happy?:)

Well no f***in duh!!!! But if this thread isn't being used for its original purpose, it should be deleted and s**t like Turok can be discussed in PMs anyways!!!!

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 03:38 PM
keep your language cool guys, I am too lazy to take measures....for now ;)

Wolf Devil
12-09-2002, 03:47 PM
At the risk of sounding immature: He started it...

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 03:52 PM
no matter, you both are bad kiddies!
no cookies today :)

this comes from the man who got banned from BioBoards for a day cause of the f-word....

Wolf Devil
12-09-2002, 03:53 PM
"The f-word?" What is this, first grade? Besides, I used asterisk

Hannibal
12-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Wolf Devil

Well no f***in duh!!!! But if this thread isn't being used for its original purpose, it should be deleted and s**t like Turok can be discussed in PMs anyways!!!!

Calm down. This isn't the first ever thread to change directions. If people are still coming here and posting why should they go somewhere else.
Some people have no senses of humor. It's so sad.
It makes me weep for the future. :weep:

I apologize for my language Com but I just like saying 'weep'.:)

Rogue15
12-09-2002, 04:30 PM
hey, this is general discussions, not 'discussion' :p

anyways i'm not sorry. I've been used to the topics at Aresen being switched around too much. :D

Com Raven
12-09-2002, 04:31 PM
yah, lost your grip on sanity...

Taos
12-09-2002, 04:37 PM
Com, I don't think 15 had much to begin with...;) :p :D

Jedi_Staailis
12-09-2002, 07:33 PM
I will buy KotOR when it comes out (for PC anyway), but I will still play JKII. I played the original Jedi Knight for years until the release of JKII. And I have a feeling the mod community won't be completely falling off the face of the earth. Yes, the regular FPS fans will move on to games with better graphics. It's inevitable, especially in a genre that is so competitive. But Star Wars fans will still play JKII. There are a lot of big projects on the horizon that will be worth waiting for. New models are being developed, multiplayer levels are improving all the time, and we've set to see a quality single player level, but there are some good ones in the works.

Com Raven
12-10-2002, 10:05 AM
the original JK also held out quite a while, though it was a rather small community...

Wolf Devil
12-10-2002, 10:30 AM
Hell, the JK community is holding out now; though small, truly it is. While the only thing real big bein worked on is TDIR (they REALLY need to move on!) many people still play SBX 3.1, alot less play GoTG ME 16-bit, some play the leaked beta of TDIR, etc etc, JK has not died, the JO community continues to degrade. Most stick with JK due to its high editability

covenant_bad
12-10-2002, 03:25 PM
Hmmm...dying it is...rotting like a piece of rancid meat....

Wolf Devil
12-10-2002, 03:40 PM
JO or JK? I wouldn't know that much about JK, I don't play it no more (not including when I reinstalled it last night to play SP)

Carnival
12-12-2002, 10:33 AM
well ive got to say that JO was the first game i actually completed...

Com Raven
12-12-2002, 02:31 PM
whoa, that's a bummer Carnival :)

Frosty_V2.1
12-13-2002, 03:03 AM
lol, I left JK2.net forums soon after the trolls started attacking..

I don't think the Kotor community will be as big on average as the JK2 community was/is, there are alot of dedicated Bioware followers tho. Have u guys seen how many projects are continueing on the infinity engine(used in Icewind Dale II not that long ago) and thats without any support or tools whatsoever from Bioware! There are alot of new npcs etc with a small but dedicated following.

Hey, when did they say they weren't going to release mod tools? last I heard they said they were 'thinking about it' or something like that.

Frosty_V2.1
12-13-2002, 03:10 AM
Does Wardz ever visit here? I still remember his sig

- please keep sig size to a minimum

:D

Raquor
12-13-2002, 04:32 AM
hmm, just wondering if there is a big diff between GameCube version of JK 2 and PC version?? Can Anyone tell me? thanks!

Boba Rhett
12-13-2002, 04:48 AM
Well, the controller setup in the GC version is not very good and from the looks of it, they didn't use all the shaders that the PC version did. So things are going to look a little different and the control will feel akward but besides that they're basically the same. At least in SP aspects.

Carnival
12-13-2002, 09:58 AM
besides everyone knows that console FPS's suck compared to PC ones...i think that the JO community will turn into the hexen community...just die hard players...

Wolf Devil
12-13-2002, 12:47 PM
Wont be no online MP, and it's gonna be a b**** to control the saber... And there will never be any lag :D :D

Com Raven
12-13-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Carnival
besides everyone knows that console FPS's suck compared to PC ones...i think that the JO community will turn into the hexen community...just die hard players...

That's not right!

I'd take halo everyday over most pc fps !

Hannibal
12-13-2002, 01:49 PM

That's not right!

I'd take halo everyday over most pc fps !

Halo is the exception to the rule.

Com Raven
12-13-2002, 02:20 PM
Nightfire on xbox is better than pc, according to the reviews :)

And Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were excellent too :)

I just want to show that saying pc is always better is a pretty big mistake :)

Taos
12-13-2002, 03:02 PM
Goldeneye and perfect dark were also a lot of fun too! :D

I just want to show that saying pc is always better is a pretty big mistake :)

Yes, this represents an ignorant way of thinking. :)

Com Raven
12-13-2002, 04:08 PM
usually, I am ignorant :)

Lord Glorfindel
12-13-2002, 07:36 PM
I think KOTOR will be popular in the SW gaming community for a short period of time, and when that period of time is over I think all of the KOTOR players will continue playing KOTOR and play JKII for the MP. In other words I think the SW community will split or do both with the same amount of enthusiasm.The best Tolkien site in the world (http://www.theonering.net)

Taos
12-13-2002, 08:32 PM
I don't think there's any question that Knights will be popular in the SW community. :D

After all of the reading I've been doing.......it seems to me that the replayability of this game is going to be excellent. There's so much that is packed into this game that there isn't any way that a person could do it all on their first time through the game (their might be exceptions of course).

Then of course you can fall to the darkside of the force <if you haven't already> :D

A lot of people I know in the LF community are eagerly awaiting the release of this game. So we should stay pretty active here for quite a while, I think.

:)

Com Raven
12-14-2002, 06:17 AM
well, between the SWcommunity, and the Bio fans, this game should be fairly popular :)

Taos
12-14-2002, 10:29 PM
I was a little surprised to see how big the bio community is. 676.000 registered users. :eek: I mean that's huge! I can't imagine that all are active though. :) They probably don't get rid of 'em like they do here at LF.

FunClown
12-15-2002, 01:23 AM
I like JO and think I will like KOTOR. However, I think I will play KOTOR more than JO. I've already beaten JKII twice but if I did the same for KOTOR that will be a lot of hours.

I was a little surprised to see how big the bio community is. 676.000 registered users. I mean that's huge! I can't imagine that all are active though. They probably don't get rid of 'em like they do here at LF.

I can still access my login that I made in January 2000. I logged in as it for the first time in 1.5 years. Finally remembered my password lol, but only had 25 posts anyway. :D

Com Raven
12-15-2002, 06:47 AM
well, two times jedi equals about the time of one time Knights :)

FunClown
12-15-2002, 07:20 AM
Yeah, it is a bit hard basing it on time. What I should say is that I should get more out of KOTOR gameplay and replayability wise. :)

Com Raven
12-15-2002, 10:47 AM
that much be sure :)

Taos
12-15-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by FunClown
What I should say is that I should get more out of KOTOR gameplay and replayability wise. :)

Without question you will. :)

One time I'll go through as a jedi....then the next time I'm going as a dark jedi. So much to do, so little time! :D

Com Raven
12-15-2002, 04:26 PM
why, you that old ?

Taos
12-15-2002, 04:57 PM
Yes I am! :)

No my reasoning is that I do have to work almost everyday. I can post....but can't play games. So time is limited....:(

Com Raven
12-16-2002, 06:59 AM
sad :)

Taos
12-16-2002, 11:58 AM
Nah.....I don't sleep much, that's how I get my things done. :D

Hey 3.000! nice ;)

Com Raven
12-16-2002, 05:04 PM
yeah, nice it is :)