PDA

View Full Version : Zam Wesell Project being started

Pages : [1] 2

NeoMarz1
12-16-2002, 02:55 AM
Well I'm starting this post, so I'll stay motivated. I have decided to give modeling a shot (over my skinning projects). I decided to go with "Zam". So far I have started the helmet. This is moving kinda slow since im learning, but I'm dead serious about getting this out! I am trying to get Toonces, or Psyko involved, but we'll see. Any help offered would be appreciated! I plan to skin her, but I will need someone to post Pics here (since I dont have any webspace at the moment). Sounds, Rigging help, just whatever...

Mars out!

Zathu Koon
12-16-2002, 08:03 AM
I could help you with any sounds you need, perhaps I could spare some webspace for pics as well.

ksk h2o
12-16-2002, 08:37 AM
I am ready to help with whatever you'll need.

Webspace, modelling help, weighing etc. Just ask away :)

Kururin
12-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Are u sure you want to make a model already being made by moooa.

{BK}SupremePain
12-16-2002, 03:12 PM
yup its true he is working on a Zam model...:)

Psyk0Sith
12-16-2002, 04:49 PM
That's great news!, if you need anything drop me a line.

True there is another Zam model, but i think he's better off doing what he wants to do, this will keep him motivated.

I can host your stuff on my webpage, i've redone the whole site just to show 3D stuff in progress.

Hekx
12-16-2002, 04:54 PM
I'd be glad to help you out.

I might try my hand at modelling if I can get the right software.

I can help test the model for bugs and stuff :)

Good news Mars, bet the model turns out great :D

NeoMarz1
12-16-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Psyk0Sith
That's great news!, if you need anything drop me a line.

True there is another Zam model, but i think he's better off doing what he wants to do, this will keep him motivated.

I can host your stuff on my webpage, i've redone the whole site just to show 3D stuff in progress.

Heck yeah, I knew you would find this thread. Yeah, i would like you to help me out, If you could spare the time. Especially in the modeling department. I'm not too worried about someone else doing the same model. Past experiance has shown many projects just get dumped. I'm gonna try and find the thread you all are talking about (is there a thread?). Any of you still interested, just stay tuned. I may come back at a later date asking for your help. Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
12-16-2002, 09:45 PM
Here's the thread:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84647

NeoMarz1
12-17-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by ksk h2o
I am ready to help with whatever you'll need.

Webspace, modelling help, weighing etc. Just ask away :)

Well I could ask on all those issues, but for now can you put up some screenies for me? I'm at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net, Write me and I'll send back some shots! Mars out!

ksk h2o
12-18-2002, 05:46 AM
email sent

Lord Tnuc
12-18-2002, 06:47 AM
I can't wait till this model comes out. Take your time, though. Zam's one hell of a character. Her replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie. Some sounds could possibly be taken from your local Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game, perhaps. I'm not sure how, I've never taken sounds from a ps2 game before...but..perhaps? She has a lot of dialogue in them. As does Jango. And sniper sounds. Oooh...an idea. Will we have a skin where her face is the more alien looking face that we saw in Episode II? Perhaps a shader could be worked out so that During gameplay..it switches back and forth every so often.

NeoMarz1
12-18-2002, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Lord Tnuc
I can't wait till this model comes out. Take your time, though. Zam's one hell of a character. Her replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie. Some sounds could possibly be taken from your local Star Wars: Bounty Hunter game, perhaps. I'm not sure how, I've never taken sounds from a ps2 game before...but..perhaps? She has a lot of dialogue in them. As does Jango. And sniper sounds. Oooh...an idea. Will we have a skin where her face is the more alien looking face that we saw in Episode II? Perhaps a shader could be worked out so that During gameplay..it switches back and forth every so often.

I like your thinking! You got some great ideas... I thought about most of your points. The shader thing sounds tough, not sure how to do shaders. I think the alien version could be done. I like the rifle idea, not sure how to implement it. Does anyone have thoughts on this one. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-18-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Hkx Nx
I'd be glad to help you out.

I might try my hand at modelling if I can get the right software.

I can help test the model for bugs and stuff :)

Good news Mars, bet the model turns out great :D

Hey go and download "G max". Its free! It gives you an idea of what to expect with "3ds max 4" (which is what you really want).

Pros,
G-max is good because it is a lot of power for "Free"
G-max supports many different games

Cons,
As far as I can tell... there is no way to Import or Export other 3d formats. You can't even Export to 3Ds max itself...

and because of that :eek: ... I may have to start Zam over again, good thing I'm not far ;) No problem I learned a lot from "G-Max", so I will probably get a lot done this weekend.

Mars out!

P.S. If I'm wrong about the Import/Export thing... Please someone correct me! It'll save about 2 days of work.

Hekx
12-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Is Milkshape 3D any good?

I think I've downloaded it in the past; but I always give up on trying to model :D

Padawan_7
12-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by NeoMarz1
P.S. If I'm wrong about the Import/Export thing... Please someone correct me! It'll save about 2 days of work.

Hey Marz, I have a gmax md3 exporter. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but I could e-mail it to you.

NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by Padawan_7

Hey Marz, I have a gmax md3 exporter. I can't remember where I downloaded it from, but I could e-mail it to you.

Heck yeah! send it... Your a light saber... oops I mean life saver:D

Heres my e-mail neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 03:10 AM
Is Milkshape 3D any good?

I think I've downloaded it in the past; but I always give up on trying to model :D

I messed around with it... it seemed cool, but a lot of people seem to think its like comparing the Yugo to a Ferrarri. It does have a lot of patches, it seems as though you can export to just about any 3d format.

G-max may seem overwelming, but give it a shot! It will grow on you. Mars out!

Hellfire Jedi
12-19-2002, 07:22 AM
What program you gonna use Marz? Good luck! I would beta test this too when the time comes IF ok with you.....
Goood Luck again Marz!!! Cant wait to see what u cook up!

Hellfire

ksk h2o
12-19-2002, 08:42 AM
Milkshape does have a glm importer that makes it interesting to load up existing player models to see how they were done. But Mars is right to suggest gmax over it any day. It's free and you get used to an interface similar to 3ds max.

If you want to make player models however, definitely go with 3ds max. As it's the only one that will allow you to get your model ready for animations and carcass glm conversion.

I cant stress how important it is to build your model around the skeleton found in the raven tools, or better yet, the skeleton with the wieghed tags that somebody released on the modelling forum (way way back there buried deep in the threads). :)

Padawan_7
12-19-2002, 12:52 PM
Heck yeah! send it... Your a light saber... oops I mean life saver:D

Heres my e-mail neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Okay Marz, I just sent it your way. Enjoy. :D

NeoMarz1
12-19-2002, 08:53 PM
Ok, Thanks to "KSK h2o" we got some screen shots.

www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet.jpg
www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet2.jpg
www.talocan.net/mars/zamhelmet3.jpg

I hope you all like what you see, I think I'm gonna have more to show sometime after Christmas... I am stoked, because now I have 3Ds Max. I got tons of Zam pics, and I mean business! This is going to be an awesome model. Keep checkin the thread. Mars out!

Thanks again KSK h2o! Your my man!

Hekx
12-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Is that your first try at modelling Mars?
They're very damn good :D

Keep up with the good work ;)

ksk h2o
12-20-2002, 02:55 AM
Nice helmet pics, and, any time mars.
:)

NeoMarz1
12-20-2002, 04:22 PM
Is that your first try at modelling Mars?
They're very damn good :D

Keep up with the good work ;)

Well yeah it is, but I've done sculpture which I think is helping me quite a bit. I am working on the face, which is a more difficult task. I am very excited, and I'm glad I chose Zam as my first attempt at modeling. She a bit of a challenge. Mars out!

Hellfire Jedi
12-20-2002, 05:22 PM
You should make Coleman Trebor he would kick ass espcially by a new great modeler and a skinner thats better than words. Good Luck with this Marz its a good start.

Hellfire

NeoMarz1
12-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Well I just finished the rough in of Zam's head! Gawd this is working out better than I expected.
Mars out!

:D Edit :D
Here's the shot I promised......
www.talocan.net/mars/Zam_head_screen.jpg

Thanks again KSK H2O!!!!!!

NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 02:20 AM
Replacing Jan would be kinda cool. And perhaps, like someone else said (maybe in another thread?) maybe her sniper rifle that she used in Episode II could also be modeled. With the some .efx files mixed around so that the rifle actually fires the red bolts, like in the movie.

Hey, Guess what... I just modeled the rifle. Screens will be up eventually. I dont know how it can be used in the game. Ive never done weapons (cant be too tough right?). We'll see how it comes into play later. If anyone knows how to get a weapon into the game, let me know. Mars out!

El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 02:25 AM
i like it marz.:D

Lord Tnuc
12-22-2002, 02:55 AM
Talk to Toonces. He's quite good.

Padawan_7
12-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Looks pretty good Marz. :)

Suggestions for the face: 1.) move the back section of the jaw bone up some, 2.) make the nose point more level (it points up currently), and 3.) 'push' the mouth and chin back further into the face.

Keep up the good work!

El Sitherino
12-22-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Padawan_7
2.) make the nose point more level (it points up currently)[/B] her nose is supposed to point up. if you see her face it points up.

Mex
12-22-2002, 02:45 PM
Very nice Mars, I am impressed!

And its your first time modelling? Gee, you most be joking! :D

Psyk0Sith
12-22-2002, 03:40 PM
Awesome, i knew you would kick a** at modeling!

and if you need anything, drop me a line.

-Psyk0

NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 10:39 PM
Ok heres the screenshot for Zam's rifle.

www.talocan.net/mars/zams_riflescrn.jpg

:confused:
I have a target reticule that looks just like the one in the movie. Only problem is... I'm having trouble getting it to work right. As soon as you right click (with sniper rifle) the reticule comes up, but its not transparent, so you cant see any thing. I loaded the shaders that come with the original. Does anyone know how to get this to work right? I need help in getting the model into the game as well. Mars out! :chop1:

t3rr0r
12-22-2002, 10:47 PM
Ok heres the screenshot for Zam's rifle.

www.talocan.net/mars/zams_riflescrn.jpg

:confused:
I have a target reticule that looks just like the one in the movie. Only problem is... I'm having trouble getting it to work right. As soon as you right click (with sniper rifle) the reticule comes up, but its not transparent, so you cant see any thing. I loaded the shaders that come with the original. Does anyone know how to get this to work right?
did you open the normal reticle image? it is the key to success. :)

NeoMarz1
12-22-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r

did you open the normal reticle image? it is the key to success. :)

well I think so... I found 3 files that are the reticule images.
cropcircle
cropcircle2
cropcirleglow

If I edited them and saved 'em as a Targa 32bit, would that mess em up?

I added effects, shader, and model folders. am I missing something here? If you have messed with these thing, maybe I can send you what I got. Write me at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Mars out!

t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 12:00 AM
well I think so... I found 3 files that are the reticule images.
cropcircle
cropcircle2
cropcirleglow

If I edited them and saved 'em as a Targa 32bit, would that mess em up?

I added effects, shader, and model folders. am I missing something here? If you have messed with these thing, maybe I can send you what I got. Write me at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net

Mars out!
i'll look into it tomorrow (i haven't actually looked at the reticle images before)... when i'll be at my computer again... i'll let you know if i figure anything out. :)

NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 01:48 AM

i'll look into it tomorrow (i haven't actually looked at the reticle images before)... when i'll be at my computer again... i'll let you know if i figure anything out. :)

awesome, thanks. If this will help...
I found the shader, under "Shaders/effects"
sniper rifle under "models/weapons2/disruptor
Images were under "gfx/2d/cropcircle1.jpg, 2, and glow

Thanks for your time man!:cool:

moooa
12-23-2002, 04:04 AM
So there's another zam wesell model :)
No i'm happy to hear that because when i see the skin of mars and when i see his begginning to modelling i think mars will do better job than mine.
When i have begin zam project i think i have time to make her quickly but i have too much work so I can't finish her for the moment, I hope finish the mon calamari model first and after maybe finish zam or maybe make another model.

I will be glad to help you mars in every way

t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 10:18 AM
awesome, thanks. If this will help...
I found the shader, under "Shaders/effects"
sniper rifle under "models/weapons2/disruptor
Images were under "gfx/2d/cropcircle1.jpg, 2, and glow

Thanks for your time man!:cool:
did the .tga's you made have transparencies? because i just made a simple crosshair reticle and it worked. http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/reticletest.txt

NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by moooa
So there's another zam wesell model :)
No i'm happy to hear that because when i see the skin of mars and when i see his begginning to modelling i think mars will do better job than mine.
When i have begin zam project i think i have time to make her quickly but i have too much work so I can't finish her for the moment, I hope finish the mon calamari model first and after maybe finish zam or maybe make another model.

I will be glad to help you mars in every way

I may take you up on this. My hands are full, and I just got started. I appreciate your kind words friend. I hope you don't totally give up on your Zam Model, she looks great! Your work is incredible. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 11:43 AM

did the .tga's you made have transparencies? because i just made a simple crosshair reticle and it worked. http://clan-cd.tripod.com/jk2/reticletest.txt

Maybe that's it. I have adobe photo shop. What do I need to do? do I just use the transparency tool? Mars out!

ksk h2o
12-23-2002, 11:54 AM
In the layers section in PS there will be a tab for channels, add an alpha channel to the tga and set the transparency percentage from the channel properties. Depending on what you will pick as your shader blend (alpha or one minus alpha) it will be the black or white regions of the alpha channel that will be taken as transparent. (did I just say something really redundant? or did this help out at all? I thought this was what you were asking but since you are imo one of the best skinners out there I thought you'd know this stuff cold :) ).

t3rr0r
12-23-2002, 11:55 AM
Maybe that's it. I have adobe photo shop. What do I need to do? do I just use the transparency tool? Mars out!
well, all you have to do is delete the parts you don't want, or change the opacity of the sections you want to be slightly transparent... and make sure you delete the background layer... since you can't make any parts of that layer transparent.

NeoMarz1
12-23-2002, 07:25 PM
In the layers section in PS there will be a tab for channels, add an alpha channel to the tga and set the transparency percentage from the channel properties. Depending on what you will pick as your shader blend (alpha or one minus alpha) it will be the black or white regions of the alpha channel that will be taken as transparent. (did I just say something really redundant? or did this help out at all? I thought this was what you were asking but since you are imo one of the best skinners out there I thought you'd know this stuff cold :) ).

I wish I could say I knew it all, but I am nothing more than a refined artist with just a few tech skills. Im learning thanks to helpfull persons (like yourself)... really thanks! Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-24-2002, 01:22 AM

Thanks man! It worked. It was hell, since I tried to save it as 24 bit... because of that it didnt work. It took me all day to figure that one out! I am spent! End result... An awesome reticule that is very close to the one in the movie. I plan to release it with the rifle pack. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
12-24-2002, 04:21 AM
I trust her sounds and whatnot will be taken from the Bounty Hunter game? And the rifle sounds will be taken from the Episode II single shot? I'm very into this rifle idea...good going with the reticle. Perhaps somehow, someone could make a reticle that could lock on, like the rocket..but also act differently...like..there's a large reticle when you have the rifle...a reticle in the middle..and a circle that is around the middle reticle. perhaps, someone could make it so that the circle leaves the reticle once someone has entered the larger reticle..making it so that they're more noticeable...more of a cool feature than anything, probably.

ksk h2o
12-24-2002, 06:43 AM
Glad to have been of some help there... I am basically the exact opposite of you when it comes to drawing skills. I can't even draw stickmen using the mouse, so I have to resort to using every technique available to make my work barely viewable.

:D

NeoMarz1
12-24-2002, 07:04 PM
Glad to have been of some help there... I am basically the exact opposite of you when it comes to drawing skills. I can't even draw stickmen using the mouse, so I have to resort to using every technique available to make my work barely viewable.

Well, Hey I understand where your coming from. We should work together more often ;) At any rate Im grateful that you wrote that detailed advice, I actually could follow it. The only thing that was giving me a problem, was trying to understand what an Alpha channel was even for... now I know! Thanks man! Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-24-2002, 07:07 PM
I trust her sounds and whatnot will be taken from the Bounty Hunter game? And the rifle sounds will be taken from the Episode II single shot? I'm very into this rifle idea...good going with the reticle. Perhaps somehow, someone could make a reticle that could lock on, like the rocket..but also act differently...like..there's a large reticle when you have the rifle...a reticle in the middle..and a circle that is around the middle reticle. perhaps, someone could make it so that the circle leaves the reticle once someone has entered the larger reticle..making it so that they're more noticeable...more of a cool feature than anything, probably.

Hey you just keep the ideas a rolling. I hadnt even considered the rifle till you suggested it! I may even do a pistol. I now got a contact who is helping me on weapons. Ill post more as it become available. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Thanks to everyone for showing interest in the model. Heres what ive done so far...

1) refined the head model
2) finished the helmet
3) attached the helmet
4) finished the target reticule
5) sent Zam's rifle to "Locutus", in turn I should get the rifle skin out quickely.
6) started the body.

I want to take a moment and thank "Locutus" for helping me on the rifle, He is the one responsible for "Jangos" Westar pistol.

Ive been thinking about a pre release on Zam's rifle; however, it will be included with the Zam model on release. :D

Thanks again, Mars out!

Oh one more thing, stay tuned... screenshots will be coming soon!

Lord Tnuc
12-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Way to go, Marz. I hope you'll have the sound effects and the correct weapon effects (the red bolts) with the rifle.

NeoMarz1
12-29-2002, 09:58 PM
*****screenshot is up****

www.talocan.net/mars/zamcollauge.jpg

courtesy of KSK H2o Mars out!:D

Jolts
12-29-2002, 10:28 PM
looks good, I would smooth down the cheek bones a little, and then work on the eyes and nose shape.

ksk h2o
12-30-2002, 03:53 AM
I'm not sure but I think it could be related to open edges. an STL check should show if the nose and chin is attached properly.

NeoMarz1
12-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Jolts
looks good, I would smooth down the cheek bones a little, and then work on the eyes and nose shape.

Yeah I agree, Im really worried about polygon count, I used a lot on the helmet, head, and now the body. I'm trying to keep it down, but I dont want to lose too many details. I actually modeled the hoses on the torso, and the crescent buckle. My concern here is that when it gets animated, are those things gonna twist and look funny?

Another point with the nose, nothing is attached (like the nose), should it be? Everything at this point is one modeled shape. Does the nose or any protrusions have an effect on UVmapping, And whats with the overlap warnings when doing the map? Is that from the nose? I guess Im a little nervous about getting in all that detail and finding out that it was modeled wrong (as far as rigging/skinning details go). What kind of things should I be concerned about when making the model? Are there things that im doing that may make the job harder down the road?

Mars out!

NeoMarz1
12-30-2002, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure but I think it could be related to open edges. an STL check should show if the nose and chin is attached properly.

Whats STL check? Is that an option in 3Dstudio max?

Jolts
12-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Keeping the nose attached to the head is the way I would do it, I noticed the raven models don't, they might have done it that way for ease of recyling and uvmapping. If you model everything as one piece you can always segment it later w/o any troubles.

I would keep the rest of the head as one piece. If its easier to model everything in patches do it that way, then later merge it all together. Personally I do it all as one. For the helmet maybe model it in 3 different lods do a quick texture test and see what works best.

Things like hoses you can model real cheap with a cube or triangle since its so small from a normal distance it would read fine.

Keep your surface topology as clean as possible and make sure you have enough rows around the joints for better deformation, reference the raven model for examples. It might also be easier to start modelling in quads, and then after everything is modelled go in and triangulate it.

experiment, look at other models surface topology, pm me or post a wire frame shot so I can see better what you got going

ksk h2o
12-30-2002, 05:24 PM
Whats STL check? Is that an option in 3Dstudio max?

It goes in the modifier stack. Click the scroll down list in the modifier options in the edit/modify tab and you should see a modifier called STL check somewhere in there.

Although an STL check is essentially for other purposes, it will be helpful in showing you open edges, double faces and essentially double vertices. These occur as you mirror your mesh or copy/clone parts of it as you edit the mesh. An open edge might also not animate properly or be visible in the in-game model. Double vertices are my personal hates since they seriously mess me up during weighing. They are found usually on both ends of an open-edge that was supposed to be closed. If you slect these vertices by dragging a selection box around them, you will see one vertice selected on screen, but it will say 2 vertices selected in the menu on the left. These vertices occupy the same point, but join to different edges. In most cases (not all) the open edge is supposed to be closed and these vertices which are located in the same spot are supposed to be only one. just collapse these vertices to fix this and open edges. They cause many problems when you try to weigh your mesh as you may weigh one of these verts but not the other, and although it may LOOK like your mesh is weighed and there are no unweighed vertices, carcass will tell you there is a certain vert thats left out... good luck finding this vert when its buried underneath a properly weighed vert. >.<

STL errors also come into play during smoothing. If two surfaces that are next to each other are not attached to each other (seperated by an open edge) the max smoothing will not work very well and/or the shading difference of the two surfaces will be drastic. Although this is a moot point since assimilate will do it's own smoothing regardless of what you do to your mesh in max (If you import the XSI you will see that they are devoid of smoothing), but I like to have max smooth my model properly for good renders and also to be able to view it properly and make valid editing decisions. :)

NeoMarz1
12-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Thanks H2o and Jolts! You guys cleared a lot up for me. I have one more question, (sort of embarrased), but when you talk about "weighted"... what does that mean? You have to understand that I'm basically a newbie. I have my ideas of what that means, but maybe you can clarify :D

I appreciate the detailed info! Sincerely Mars

ksk h2o
12-31-2002, 03:58 AM
weighing comes into play later on in the modelling process. If you take a look at spacemonkeys tutorial you will see a section on weighing. It is what needs to be done for the model to animate properly in game. You don't need to worry about it much untill your model is basically complete anyway. But it's important that you build your model close and tightly around to the raven skeleton bc that is what you will "weigh" your mesh to, when modelling is done. :)

NeoMarz1
01-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Well the project is moving along. I must say that im about to pull my own hair out. I am happy to report that I have made some great changes to both the helmet and face. The goggles were way off on the last screenies. It's hard to get any detail shots of em, but I think im close enough (unless someone has good pics of the goggles). I changed the brim of the helmet to look more sweeping. Only thing slowing me down is that I dont have the skelaton available. Psyko is sending I hope. Im a little reluctant to do more modeling without that, Also, if anyone has the "space monkey tutorial" (not the appendum) please send it :D
I dont want to disappoint anyone who is following this thread, so I'm doing my best!

P.S. It looks as though the rifle is moving along as well, I just got the maps, I may start skinning that even though I don't have the glm/pk3 yet. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-01-2003, 08:01 PM
P.S. It looks as though the rifle is moving along as well, I just got the maps, I may start skinning that even though I don't have the glm/pk3 yet. Mars out!

I am very much in love with this rifle idea. Did you get the sound effects from the movie or are you just doing the visuals?

ksk h2o
01-02-2003, 09:07 AM
Mars, if you look into the modelling forum, I think it got renamed and joined into one HUUUGE general editing forum now. There is a thread I recently bumped up that has the title:

for anyone that needs a weighted skeleton

Inside you will find that somebody had put up a skeleton with all the tags weighed allready.... a great thing for starters. :)

Psyk0Sith
01-02-2003, 10:56 AM
I've just sent the skeleton and spacemonkey's tutorial to u marz, hope it wont jam your mail box.

NeoMarz1
01-03-2003, 06:53 PM
I got some Great news!!!!!!!!:D

The Zam Rifle is now completed, Thanks to Locutus! He has been very very helpful, and we both have been punching away at this thing. I am going to go ahead and put out version 1 (version 2 will come out with the zam model).

Version 1 has the reticule and gun model with completed skins.
Version 2 will have sounds and edited fire blast.

I plan to send the pk3 out tommarow, so keep checking www.JediKnight2Files.com

I have played around with the rifle and its way cool, much better than the disruptor (in my own opinion:D ). Only bad thing is that the rifle clips the player's elbow just a tad (to be expected with the long rifle design). :mob: Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-04-2003, 12:46 AM
The Zam Rifle is now completed

Great job, Neo. I, for one, will be downloading both of the versions...and I can't wait for the second version..and especially for Zam herself.

Many thanks to Locutus, also, for the help he gave Neo.

NeoMarz1
01-04-2003, 07:44 AM
:D Just sent the Rifle out! :D

MasterKoon237
01-04-2003, 08:04 AM
:D Just sent the Rifle out! :D

To where?

Edit:just saw your other post! I'll keep checkin www.jk2files.com (http://www.jk2files.com)

Lord Tnuc
01-04-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm curious if it will also be sent to www.JkII.net

Higgi
01-04-2003, 02:37 PM
Good job man. I'm lookin out for the rifle and will definately get zam herself. keep up the good work ;)

NeoMarz1
01-04-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm curious if it will also be sent to www.JkII.net

Yup! It was... Although, I'm not sure if it will make it to the posting there. They can be slow sometimes. Mars out!

:D****Good news****:D
More pictures posted by H20, I'm sure you will all get a kick out of what's been done so far! I'm basically working the forms, nothings been attached to the skelaton. I am considering a Zam varient with the veil covering! Possibly Zam's airspeeder for map constructions. We'll see... Mars out!

www.talocan.net/mars/zam_riflescrn2.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot2.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot3.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamtorsoshot4.jpg

{BK}SupremePain
01-04-2003, 04:01 PM
oh my god! Mars you made THAT!? all by yourself? my freaking god your just of good a modeller as you are a skinner! :D thats amazing for a guy that hasent realy done modelling before!
coming along very nicely....

NeoMarz1
01-05-2003, 01:12 PM
:D *********EVEN BETTER NEWS***********:D

I just finished the Zam model, Don't get too excited though... It's just the model! Now comes the hard part... getting it on the skelaton, and in the game. This may actually take longer than the modeling process (for me). Its going to be a rough road from here on out! I know you guys will help me (you know who you are). I am excited, and can't wait to get Zam finished. A little early to say this but... Adi Gallia is my next one;) Mars out!

MasterKoon237
01-05-2003, 01:23 PM
:D *********EVEN BETTER NEWS***********:D

I just finished the Zam model, Don't get too excited though... It's just the model! Now comes the hard part... getting it on the skelaton, and in the game. This may actually take longer than the modeling process (for me). Its going to be a rough road from here on out! I know you guys will help me (you know who you are). I am excited, and can't wait to get Zam finished. A little early to say this but... Adi Gallia is my next one;) Mars out!

That's awesome! But now for some bad news. Jk2files is down for some reason! O well, guess we'll just have to wait *curses*.

Lord Tnuc
01-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Well, Mister Marz could always ask someone with some space to spare until tomorrow to host the rifle for him so that people can actually get it.

Lord Tnuc
01-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Damn, still no rifle from either www.jkii.net or www.jk2files.com
Perhaps someone could host this themselves?

NeoMarz1
01-06-2003, 08:31 PM
:D **********new screens**********:D

Thanks again H2o!!!!!

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigure.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigure3.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigure4.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigure5.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigureveiled.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamfullfigureveiled2.jpg

:D Mars out!

boinga1
01-06-2003, 08:38 PM
can't see the shots... :(

NeoMarz1
01-06-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
can't see the shots... :(

Sorry forgot the .jpg attachments, Try em again, I fixed the link!

*******Also*******
I Just sent the Zam rifle out again to both Jk sites, They should show up... I hope... If someone want to host the pk3 for download, let me know and I'll send it your way. Mars out!

{BK}SupremePain
01-06-2003, 08:45 PM
wow sweet! the links work now, its looking very very very nice, im lovin it,can we get some smouth shaded pics of her?... um thats great, that the model is done, i assume your going to do the skinning work yourself too, am i correct?

NeoMarz1
01-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by {BK}SupremePain
same here... um thats great, that the model is done, i assume your going to do the skinning work yourself too, am i correct?

Yep... of course ;). After first release, should anyone want to do a varient of some sort, just let me know. Mars out!

Smooth shaded pics? Sure, but Ive been slamming our good friend "KsK H2o" with screen shots. I'll do that a little later. Mars out yet again!

Psyk0Sith
01-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Sweet!, cant wait to see the final product!

NeoMarz1
01-06-2003, 09:22 PM
Sweet!, cant wait to see the final product!

:D Me Too :D lol

mort!!!
01-07-2003, 09:36 AM
Nice marz, but isn't that a little *ahem* BLOCKY! also her boobs kind of are sagging

NeoMarz1
01-07-2003, 10:31 AM
well dont think a thing like boobs goes un-attended! They arent sagging, they are restricted by the chest plate (almost pushed in). They in (most photos) are positioned just slightely below the shoulder frame. The idea in tho movie was to confuse the viewer into wondering if Zam was a male or female assassin. I will consider your comment, and give it a second look:D I may have positioned it too low.

Why its blocky? Well the game will smooth out the polys (to my knowledge), Right guys? It can be smoothed out in the program, but I just put out the rough screens. Thanks for your comments, Mars out.

ksk h2o
01-07-2003, 10:37 AM
The game will do it's own smooth shading (You'll have to put it into the .car file as a command but thats one of the last steps of modelling...) If you want to have an idea how the smoothing is going to look, you can allways smooth objects in max. But you're right, carcass will smooth the xsi all by itself. :D

moooa
01-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Very nice models Mars. you're working very fast and very well

Yes carcass will smooth your model but i suggest u to see how your model looks when it's smooth in max because sometimes the smooth is not very good and it's look "bizarre" in the game
And in max you can correct it on moving some points

If you want help for weighting the points i can help you
Just a question how many polygons do you have ? If you haven't too much poly i think you can smooth some area on adding poly
(the back torso under the neck, the veil and maybe add details on her belt) but if not that's looks very good. More polygons you have on the articulations better will be the deformations.

In the model i specially love the head and the helmet they are really realistic.

Oh another point i think that the hand are a little "bizarre" i think that they are too flat maybe make them more curve and i don't know how to say that in english but the little finger is maybe too big and the finger too draw aside. and maybe they are too big
Or make like me use the raven hands they are perfect and i have never success in moddeling hand

Another question do you plan to make a clawdite version?

Hope my criticism are not too strong and that they help you

Psyk0Sith
01-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Just a thought, don't forget to add some lights to the scene.

I've had problems with Ki Adi, things looked fine until i sent him in-game...some weird shadows were "rendered", i had to tweak the meshes to fix the problems.

Since then i'm adding a few omni lights with shadows when modelling, it helps to see flaws and gives a better feel of the surface.

Lord Tnuc
01-07-2003, 03:52 PM
Psyk0Sith, you have a site, could you possibly do the hosting for the Zam Wessel Rifle? I'm sure Marz won't mind letting you host it since the delay with the sites.

Psyk0Sith
01-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Psyk0Sith, you have a site, could you possibly do the hosting for the Zam Wessel Rifle? I'm sure Marz won't mind letting you host it since the delay with the sites.

Sure, i dunno how much bandwith i'm allowed, but i'll link it to my mirror site too.

Send it my way Marz, or anyone else who has it.
psykopat@geocities.com

NeoMarz1
01-07-2003, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the interest in the rifle. Those guys at JK2files & JediKnight2 must be busy. I hate it cuz I see new posts all the time. Sometimes I wonder if they just dont like weapon models, but then again... They havent posted every skin I've sent in, so who knows.

So how can you get it? well Ive sent it to our good friend Psyko, maybe he can get it up for download. Mars out!

Oh! One more thing... Once you guys get the rifle, let me know what you think. There will be a version 2, so think of this as beta testing.;)

NeoMarz1
01-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Very nice models Mars. you're working very fast and very well

Yes carcass will smooth your model but i suggest u to see how your model looks when it's smooth in max because sometimes the smooth is not very good and it's look "bizarre" in the game
And in max you can correct it on moving some points

If you want help for weighting the points i can help you
Just a question how many polygons do you have ? If you haven't too much poly i think you can smooth some area on adding poly
(the back torso under the neck, the veil and maybe add details on her belt) but if not that's looks very good.

Oh another point i think that the hand are a little "bizarre" i think that they are too flat maybe make them more curve.

Another question do you plan to make a clawdite version?

Hope my criticism are not too strong and that they help you

Your criticisms are greatly appreciated! They are dead on, so I take no offense. I agree with all your points, and I like what I saw of your Zam. I know we have dealt with the same character, and respect your thoughts.

Yes, I would like to add polys, How can I get a count in 3Dmax?
Im only allowed so many for the head, torso, and other parts right? Ive been really carefull about using too many (maybe too carefull?)

I may need your help, I'll let you know this weekend, or next week. I know the hands look funny right now. I more or less just slapped em on. They are going to get more work. I think its important, because they are tough, and I want to do everything from scratch. It's important to me to learn this modeling thing, it's something that ive always wanted to do. Damn its tough!

Also (and anyone can answer this), I ended up with "doubled edges" all over the helmet. How can I get rid of these without deleting polys? I messed it up somehow. Is it really a big concern?

Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-07-2003, 09:29 PM
Just a thought, don't forget to add some lights to the scene.

I've had problems with Ki Adi, things looked fine until i sent him in-game...some weird shadows were "rendered", i had to tweak the meshes to fix the problems.

Since then i'm adding a few omni lights with shadows when modelling, it helps to see flaws and gives a better feel of the surface.

Thats a great suggestion. I'ma gonna do that! Hey by the way, thanks for putting my Ki Adi skin as one of your links, way cool! Now everyone one will know my name Wooohahahahaha! Sorry my ego got out again;) Mars out!

boinga1
01-07-2003, 09:37 PM
marz, everyone already knows your name...see the pics now, look good. Could we see her in another position sometime, like doing something?

Jolts
01-07-2003, 09:45 PM
along with the hands I would work on the shoulders and forarms also. The neck leading into the shoulders could be tinkered with, sometimes I model part of the body under the clothing then delete out what won't be seen later. Here's a ref pic you might wanna check out

http://www.fineart.sk/page027.gif

NeoMarz1
01-07-2003, 10:42 PM
along with the hands I would work on the shoulders and forarms also. The neck leading into the shoulders could be tinkered with, sometimes I model part of the body under the clothing then delete out what won't be seen later. Here's a ref pic you might wanna check out

http://www.fineart.sk/page027.gif

I guess the problem I'm having now is aligning The parts to the skeleton and keeping proportions right. The neck is almost too long, simply cuz I'm trying to center the head mass with the bone. how close do they need to be? I'm curious how Psyko handled this with his Yarael poof model (with long neck). The skeleton should be pretty straight forward (one would think), but the raven frame seems a bit odd. This may sound dumb cuz I'm just getting into the skeleton, but what's with the burst of bones coming out of the front of the skull section?(if they are bones) Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-07-2003, 10:55 PM
Someone...get...this..rifle...hosted :crybaby:

Psyk0Sith
01-08-2003, 12:03 AM
Alright i got the rifle up on my site, sorry i didnt check my e-mails, i was busy fixing Ponda Baba...argh.

****Download Zam's rifle by Marz!!!!*** (http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/downloads/zam_rifle_v1.zip)

...This may sound dumb cuz I'm just getting into the skeleton, but what's with the burst of bones coming out of the front of the skull section?...

i think you mean the facial bones? hehe yeah that looks scary but its pretty easy to weight, just dont start there.

i usually start with the feet and end with da fingers (the worst part).

You dont have to follow the skeleton 100% to deform the mesh correctly, just as long as you follow the structure you should be alright.

Yarael's neck uses 1 bone for the head movement, so i applied 100% influence on the skull and part of the neck, the other half (down) got 50%. Dunno if that makes any sense to you.

Good luck with the weighting marathon! :D

Lord Tnuc
01-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Thank you so much, Psyko.

Edit: I just tried the rifle, and it looks great. In single player, there is a problem right in front of where one of the hands goes. It's like it's missing. also, the rifle seems a bit thin. I'm not sure if that's how it is really or not, but to me it seems a little thin.

Edit2: On another note..have you talked to anyone about Zam's sounds? Like I suggested earlier, perhaps someone can bring up their ps2 Bounty Hunter game and take sounds from there, since she has quite a bit of vocab. A LOT more than in Episode II.
And also. Have you thought about your next model?
My personal preference would be the X-Man; Gambit.
I have absolutely tons of reference material for him, and there are tons of different model ideas...different variations..a lot of very kickass stuff that you could do with a Gambit model.

Psyk0Sith
01-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Zam's rifle is available at jk2!
http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=9261

NeoMarz1
01-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Zam's rifle is available at jk2!
http://www.jk2files.com/file.info?ID=9261

Thanks for the post (both of em). You beat me to it.;)

Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Thank you so much, Psyko.

Edit: I just tried the rifle, and it looks great. In single player, there is a problem right in front of where one of the hands goes. It's like it's missing. also, the rifle seems a bit thin.

Edit2: On another note..have you talked to anyone about Zam's sounds? Have you thought about your next model?
My personal preference would be the X-Man; Gambit.

Comment Uno: I'm glad you like it (since it was your idea). I'll take another look at it, I never really considered its width since there are no good front profile photos. I just modeled it using my own memories of the rifle that its based on (the older flint locks used during british american war). They are almost as thin as they are in the side profile, but I'll give it a look.

Comment Dos: Well... I just watched the movie again (for about the 150th time) and I definately want to use the rifle sounds. They are just too cool to not use, plus the fire effects are awsome. I'll except any help to get these sounds. I can tape the sounds directly off the DVD, but have no good way to get em onto the PC (other than the mic). Please anyone who can get em, let us know here on this thread.

Comment Tres: I am thinking about Adi Gallia for my next model. I guess the whole star wars theme is about all I think about these days, but I do love comics (since I used to actually work as a freelance comic artist). Gambit is cool.

Heres the link to my old comic site http://hometown.aol.com/NeoMarz1/box/page1.htm

Mars out!

El Sitherino
01-08-2003, 08:04 PM
I am thinking about Adi Gallia for my next model. that would be cool marz. i cant wait for this or any other models you release you are doing great.

Lord Tnuc
01-09-2003, 02:03 AM
With the sounds, I actually meant Zam herself, not her rifle. The Bounty Hunter game has some excellent Zam Wessel sounds. Nice choice on next models, by the way. Perhaps, in doing so, you could also figure out a new saber style, where you hold the saber backwards. Not so much changing animations, just turning the saber around? I'm not sure how it would be done. But like in Jedi Power Battles, she weilded her lightsaber held backwards. Perhaps, you could edit a tag(?) or perhaps an idle stance to make the lightsaber held backwards.
Perhaps, with Zam...some ideas for alternate skins, you could turn some surfs off and have some of her costume off. I'm not talking about stripping her, I'm talking about perhaps a piece of armor would be taken off. Or perhaps, skin it so that it looks like she's wearing something else.

ksk h2o
01-09-2003, 07:48 AM
Whoa this thread moves fast :)

Double edges shouldn't be too much of a problem, not as bad as double vertices (weighing becomes frustrating). If you really want to get rid oft them though (save before you try) select the edge in question and just remove it. Normally, if it's anything like I experienced before, one of the edges will remove the polygon that it was associated with (the face) the other will not. It's a little tricky to get the right unwanted edge. Yea, I'm quite a perfectionist when if comes to models and really like to have no STL errors whatsoever (besides where they should be like the edges of the segment). :)

If you want a pretty good idea of where the bones should fall, you should try taking a peek at some of the XSI files raven has released (you are using 3ds max and have the plugin right?) The files will show you the ideal positions of the bones. Like psyko said, you don't have to adhere to it precisely, but cetrain parts and things are quite sensitive. I'll make a short paragraph pf the problems I had with alignment before.

Head: Not much of a problem as long as you weigh the majority of the head mesh to the cranium. The face bones that you see sticking out can be left for last and are only needed if you are going to make an SP version of your model. The face does not animate in MP, and can be left out for ONLY MP models.

Torso/Shoulders: My first problems came here. Ry to make sure the joint where the clavical meets the arm bone (forgot which one) is quite central to where the shoulder of your mesh is. The Raven animations are a little buggy on the shoulders for some movements like the backstab and some swings will look pretty bad if the mesh is not well aligned.

Arms/Hands: pretty much the same... I would take care in aligning the elbow joint and making sure the bones run straight through the middle of the arm mesh. For simplicity's sake, you can weigh all of the hand mesh to the hand bone initially to get your model in game faster, then go back one you have tweaked out the major bugs and add the finger bones. I allways weigh the finger and face bones last, and only after having worked out all the other weight bugs in the mesh.

Hips/Legs: Very simlar to the arms. The hips can be troublesome depending on how high your hip is according to the pelvis. It will be trial and error and you probably will adjust your mesh a little when you are debugging the hip later on. The hip can be weighed mainly ot the pelvis, but it might look better if the lower lumbar comes into play, depending on where the hips end.

Well, that was a long post. Hope something there is helpful. :)

boinga1
01-09-2003, 08:10 AM
marz, why are you so good at everything? Adi Gallia sounds like a great model, if all the other WIPs here get done, then we'd have most of the jedi council for gameplay. Haven't tried the rifle yet, gonna go get it now.

boinga1
01-09-2003, 09:49 AM
whohooo, got the rifle and it ROCKS go marz!

moooa
01-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Mars for counting the polygons : select the mesh of your model go to the utilities panel (on the right) and there's a button "number of polygon" and there it is :)

for the double edge i don't know if i have well understanding what you mean but you can try this (save before) select the points on one extremity of the 2 edges, make an edit mesh scroll down find the section weld or join (or something like this i have max in french so i don't know the name in english) in the case next selection enter a big value (like 250) and then click on selection. Normally the 2 points will be 1 point now :) make the same with the 2 other spoints and the double edge will be a simple edge (it's important for the smooth)

For the weighting before you begun i suggest you to see if your polygons are not invert select a part of your mesh go to the panel utilities/restore transformation and then click reinitialize selection go to modify panel right click on transf. and select retract on. If nothing happen it's good if the polygon of your mesh is invert make an edit mesh select all the polygon and invert them. If you make this after the weighting and it's not good you will have to reweight the mesh

Like ksk h2o said see what proportion raven give to there model so you align your model on these. For the facial animation make it at the end, it's easy to do. For the others parts i suggest to you to open some existant model in modview, go in the view menu and select "showing vert index ..." , then on the right of the model click on the + next model.glm, surface and here left click on the part you want to see to highlight it,after right click on the name of the part select info and tape on return
normally it will open you a wordpad windows with all the weighting info of the part (points per points)you have select. See how it's make and try to make the same. It's like that I have learn to weight the points

If you have another question i'll be here

Another suggestion make the skin before you weight the points. in that way you can see in modview if the model move well or not and for you it will not take to much time :D

Master_Payne
01-09-2003, 02:28 PM
The face bones that you see sticking out can be left for last and are only needed if you are going to make an SP version of your model. The face does not animate in MP, and can be left out for ONLY MP models.

Face is animated in MP, only that its hard to see.
BTW: Great Model!

ksk h2o
01-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Wow Mooa, you actually said something about mod view which I didn't know... It sure would have made my life easier had I known that but hey. Learned the hard way.

Payne, I'm surprised to hear that the face is animated in MP. I have positioned the camera smack on the face and never saw lips/jaw move on default meshes... strange... what sequences did you see animate the face? :)

moooa
01-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Wow Mooa, you actually said something about mod view which I didn't know... It sure would have made my life easier had I known that but hey. Learned the hard way.

Payne, I'm surprised to hear that the face is animated in MP. I have positioned the camera smack on the face and never saw lips/jaw move on default meshes... strange... what sequences did you see animate the face? :) I'm happy if i can help you :D
In Mp i'm not sure that all the facial bone is use I think there's just the jaw bone that is used and so it's seems that we have facial animation but i'm not sure. We can see the jaw move on the taunt action

Bob Gnarly
01-09-2003, 09:17 PM
GOOOOOOD JOB neomarz, your stepping up and my skinning master is now a madler and you stuck to your first idea to, Zam Weasel.

by the way Howd you learn to model so fast and so well

Master_Payne
01-09-2003, 09:28 PM
If you have the geometrical detail on low and wait a while you will find this: http://jedimasterpayne.netfirms.com/shot0098.jpg
On Hi-res will look better.

Psyk0Sith
01-09-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Master_Payne
If you have the geometrical detail on low and wait a while you will find this: http://jedimasterpayne.netfirms.com/shot0098.jpg
On Hi-res will look better.

Man that's scary, Kyle looks like a zombie! :D

sorry for being off topic...

NeoMarz1
01-09-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Boss
GOOOOOOD JOB neomarz, your stepping up and my skinning master is now a madler and you stuck to your first idea to, Zam Weasel.

by the way Howd you learn to model so fast and so well

Well... It looks good, but I got some bugs to work out. Modeling is more or less sculpture, and Ive done all kinds of sculpture. I actually wanted to be a prop designer when I was in highschool. I started out by making props for these silly sci-fi films... I painted/sculpted in college (for 1 year), went into comics for about 10 years, then web design.... Hmmm where am I going with this. I guess what I'm trying to say is, all that stuff made it a little easier to model.:D Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Where does the model stand right now? Well... I decided to hold off on the weighting this weekend. I think the model still needs more work, so I'm going to spend a lot of time making sure it's gonna fit the skelaton just right! Tommarow I'm gonna get a Polygon count, so you guys can give me some feed back. Let me know if I'm going overboard. The arms and legs are low on polygons, so I may actually model the gloves and boots. Mars out!

boinga1
01-09-2003, 11:59 PM
the thought of a model like this with creator who can skin like you, Marz...geez, it's just plain old scary!

ksk h2o
01-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Maybe you should temporarily post various screenies with the skeleton viewable and the mesh set to see-through, it might help get some feedback on the positioning.

NeoMarz1
01-10-2003, 10:28 AM
Maybe you should temporarily post various screenies with the skeleton viewable and the mesh set to see-through, it might help get some feedback on the positioning.

I will definately do that. I'll also put tags on it to address the areas of my concern. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-10-2003, 09:25 PM
Okay. I've been thinking about this idea for quite some time. I'm not sure if it's possible, but hear it out to the end. A rocket launcher/jetpack conversion. Basically...the same way you change the positions of the animations of the saber stances...could someone perhaps create a rocket launcher that you basically have nothing in your hands...but then once you hit the fire button, the animation causes you to crouch, with the rocket positioned on the back, so that it would be like it was coming out of the jetpack. I'm not talking about coding in a crouch, I'm talking about changing the "stance" from the "recoil"(?) so that instead of recoiling, it could just crouch, and it'd fire. Possible? I think so.

NeoMarz1
01-10-2003, 09:35 PM

Hey man! I just sent the pics to you. The model is not segmented right, but it will give you an idea. Soon as you post em Ill explain. I got a lot of questions. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-11-2003, 11:14 AM
Ok, here we go. I got some pics here, and a load of questions. Ksk h2o answered a lot of em, but I'm gonna post these anyhow.

Let's start with this one...
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon1.jpg

My question here is this, I am way over polys on both the head and helmet. H20, tells me to stay within the 500 Vertices limit. 1st, is there a vertices counter?
2nd, I really wanted to keep the helmet separate. For one thing, if I combine those, I will then need to deal with over 1200 polys. What do you all think I should do here?

Next...(with listed Poly counts)
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon2.jpg
If you look on the left you will see the tail skirt. I made it thick, should I have made it a single plane? Should it be separate from the hips? Is it easy enough to keep separate (If we go that route)?
If you look on the right side you'll see the Hoses, and Belt buckle... My question here is this, Should those parts be welded to the torso (my concern here is for making the skin maps), or can they be grouped? I guess another question is this, Can you even use the "Grouping method" to associate items with say... the Torso?

(just for Poly counts)
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon3.jpg
No question here really.

www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon4.jpg
The helmet is separated in a lot of bits. Again the same question as above. Should it be welded or grouped? If I do weld it, will it cause problems when I start mapping?

Well, thats my questions... Next I will send a screenie showing the skelaton alighnment. Thanks everyone, Mars out!

ksk h2o
01-11-2003, 01:47 PM
The 500 vertex limit is per object. You could have your head in three or four objects if you are going to be above 500 vertices. My homer model will have the head as Head, Head_eyes, and Head_mouth to deal with this.

500 vertices is a LOT. There is a mini counting plugin for max.
TINY COUNTER works very well. I just select the object, then select edit mesh, vertex and press Q for the vertice count once the plugin is installed.

Get it here:
http://www.3dcafe.com/asp/software4.asp

moooa
01-12-2003, 07:30 AM
[B]Ok, here we go. I got some pics here, and a load of questions. Ksk h2o answered a lot of em, but I'm gonna post these anyhow.

Let's start with this one...
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon1.jpg

My question here is this, I am way over polys on both the head and helmet. H20, tells me to stay within the 500 Vertices limit. 1st, is there a vertices counter?
2nd, I really wanted to keep the helmet separate. For one thing, if I combine those, I will then need to deal with over 1200 polys. What do you all think I should do here?
I definitively love the head and the helmet :)
Yes you must keep the helmet and the head separate because in this way you can add a non-helmet version. For the question of hierarchy sapcermonkey tutorial is very very good. In your case i think you will have :

head
head_eyes_mouth
head_augment_off
head_helmet

For your polycount, the head can be reduced: the top of the head is not see so you can detach the polygons which were under the helmet. It depends if you want to make a non-helmet version. If you don't want you can delete the polygons. But if you want to detach the polygons i suggest you 1 things : make the uvmapping, the skin and the final weighting and after make an edit mesh select the polygons you want to detach, save a copy of the file, go in the file/fusion and select the first copy select the the part you want to detach polygons, rename it in the new name part (like head_augment_off or something like this). On the head delete the polygons you have select and on the head_augment_off invert the selection of the polygon and delete.
So in this way the uvmap don't need to be adjust to the other part, the weighting too, the only bad thing is that in your file you will have each bone you use for this part duplicate.

For the polycount don't worry my mon calamari model have first over 700 polygons for the head and it works fine

moooa
01-12-2003, 07:43 AM
Next...(with listed Poly counts)
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon2.jpg
If you look on the left you will see the tail skirt. I made it thick, should I have made it a single plane? Should it be separate from the hips? Is it easy enough to keep separate (If we go that route)?
If you look on the right side you'll see the Hoses, and Belt buckle... My question here is this, Should those parts be welded to the torso (my concern here is for making the skin maps), or can they be grouped? I guess another question is this, Can you even use the "Grouping method" to associate items with say... the Torso? Well i have make the polycount and you have about 2500 polygons, but you don't put the polycount of the arm. The arm will be ok like this, the torso can have much polygons, the hips too (in the pelvis area), the skirt is better thick then just a plan otherwise in some point of view she will looks like she has no skirt (in the back). The boots may have many more polygons i think.
For the belt and hoses keep them separate (i think you should the more thing you can separate)

moooa
01-12-2003, 07:47 AM
www.talocan.net/mars/zamdecon4.jpg
The helmet is separated in a lot of bits. Again the same question as above. Should it be welded or grouped? If I do weld it, will it cause problems when I start mapping?

Well, thats my questions... Next I will send a screenie showing the skelaton alighnment. Thanks everyone, Mars out! For the helmet, if you have separate you can make first the uvmap for each part and after select the bigger part make an edit mesh and attach the other parts.
And never group the part the game will not recognize it, you can only use the attach function or to tie the child part with the parent part

And can't wait to see the next screenie

NeoMarz1
01-12-2003, 10:57 AM
For the helmet, if you have separate you can make first the uvmap for each part and after select the bigger part make an edit mesh and attach the other parts.
And never group the part the game will not recognize it, you can only use the attach function or to tie the child part with the parent part

And can't wait to see the next screenie

Thanks, I was waiting for someone to answer my questions. I may need your help in weighting (if your not busy). I am struggling with UV mapping right now... "What? A skinner who doesn't know how to map?". You heard me right. It's embarrasing to admit, but true! Its driving me nuts. I know it will be simple once I figure it out (just like modeling). I'm trying to get info from you guys in such a way that its not too much, so bare with me.

Moooa, If you could... send me your e-mail. I'm at neomarz1@sbcglobal.net , Mars out!

Jolts
01-12-2003, 02:51 PM
I think you could clean up the face some, reduce the back of the head a little. I see some 5 point polys in the face, you should avoid that.

here's something I might do to clean it up

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/wfr.txt

NeoMarz1
01-12-2003, 04:18 PM
I think you could clean up the face some, reduce the back of the head a little. I see some 5 point polys in the face, you should avoid that.

here's something I might do to clean it up

http://www.geocities.com/joltsone/wfr.txt

Yeah, a lot of the lines you put in make a lot of sense. I will certainly consider your comments. What problems do you see with the 5 point poly's. I think I know where your coming from, just wanted to hear what your thoughts were. Mars out!

Jolts
01-12-2003, 04:58 PM
they will screw with your textures and deformation. If you plan on having facial animation you want to keep your line network running smooth, some people find it easie to model in quads, then triangulate at the end. The way you have it right now will look odd when the mouth opens, put a jaw bone in and try moving it around and you'll see.

Jo facial animation is pretty weak, so I wouldn't worry it about too much for this model, but if you plan on doing models for other games with facial animation like unreal 2, you really should watch your topology.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/viking/main2.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

NeoMarz1
01-12-2003, 07:00 PM
they will screw with your textures and deformation. If you plan on having facial animation you want to keep your line network running smooth, some people find it easie to model in quads, then triangulate at the end. The way you have it right now will look odd when the mouth opens, put a jaw bone in and try moving it around and you'll see.

Jo facial animation is pretty weak, so I wouldn't worry it about too much for this model, but if you plan on doing models for other games with facial animation like unreal 2, you really should watch your topology.

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/viking/main2.asp

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

Awesome links, Best advice Ive gotten. Thanks a million Jolts!!!!:D It's awsome getting advice from the Jolts;) Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-13-2003, 01:06 AM
This is to help with fixing the rifle, Mister Marz.

http://www.boomspeed.com/tnucrojam/idle.jpg
http://www.boomspeed.com/tnucrojam/Firing.jpg

When held, the rifle has the appearance of the first shot...but once you shoot, the recoil pushes the barrel backwards, filling the void.

NeoMarz1
01-14-2003, 10:29 AM
This is to help with fixing the rifle, Mister Marz.
When held, the rifle has the appearance of the first shot...but once you shoot, the recoil pushes the barrel backwards, filling the void.

We are looking into the bug... Next weekend I'll try to give some feedback.

By the way both sites (Jediknight2, and Jk2files) now have the rifle for download. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-14-2003, 10:38 AM
So where are we on Zam now?

Currently I'm battling with model fatique. I had to take a break, but tonight I should be back on the horse. I'm still making sure the model is lined up right, Psyko was working on skelaton bugs. I could have used the skelaton in Raven files, but he had one pretty much ready to use. I actually started modeling the Clawdite head. I dont know if we'll use it, but who knows;) I decided that the legs needed more work. I actually reworked the arms to have gloves. All and all it's moving along. Just a bit slow, since I'm moving more and more into the unknown. Mars out! By the way check out Psyko's new site!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/

boinga1
01-15-2003, 12:14 AM
oh marz...on the topic of your next model...you or someone else needs to do a Padme Ep1 from the hangar fight and all. I can't believe the epii has been out so long and no one's done it!

Sounds Risky
01-15-2003, 12:37 AM
I think Marz is doing Adi Gallia next.

Classic Luke
01-15-2003, 03:49 AM
Hi NeoMarz. I managed to make a reskin of your anakin which was included in the ep1_obi model pk3. I must apologize however, cause I submitted the first version I did and it got posted on one of the jedi outcast sites:( I was wonderin if I could get your official approval to post my second version of the reskin. Thank-you for your time friend.

Lord Tnuc
01-15-2003, 04:18 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think NeoMarz had anything to do with the Obi-Wan model. That was Toonces and Arco.

NeoMarz1
01-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Classic Luke
Hi NeoMarz. I managed to make a reskin of your anakin which was included in the ep1_obi model pk3. I must apologize however, cause I submitted the first version I did and it got posted on one of the jedi outcast sites:( I was wonderin if I could get your official approval to post my second version of the reskin. Thank-you for your time friend.

Sure, You can do that. I kinda rushed him anyhow, so it's no big deal. My intentions was to do another, but I'm on this project now. Thanks for asking. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-15-2003, 10:13 AM
I could be wrong, but I don't think NeoMarz had anything to do with the Obi-Wan model. That was Toonces and Arco.

No he's right I did do several varients that were included alongside Arcos work. It was a fun model to work on. I actually did A version of his Mace Windu as well. I was going to do the Qui Gon model, but I got into this model. I may still skin him later on. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-15-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Matt Shoemaker
I think Marz is doing Adi Gallia next.

Yes I am, but I may also do Trebor Coleman. I may get someone one to help me out, so I can do both. Mars out!

Classic Luke
01-15-2003, 11:42 AM
Thank you much for your permission Neo!
BtW, it is about time someone made Zam! Keep up the GREAT WORK!

Sounds Risky
01-15-2003, 12:47 PM
Yes I am, but I may also do Trebor Coleman. I may get someone one to help me out, so I can do both. Mars out!

I've actually been working on Trebor for a little while now, so you can do Gallia first at least.

NeoMarz1
01-15-2003, 08:45 PM
I've actually been working on Trebor for a little while now, so you can do Gallia first at least.

Really?, you got a link. Mars out

Lord Tnuc
01-15-2003, 08:55 PM
You could always take my suggestion and work on a Gambit player model. ;) Joking, but hey, not like I'd mind, eh?

Sounds Risky
01-15-2003, 09:22 PM
I've sent you a PM Marz.

AutoCept
01-16-2003, 12:48 AM
Ooh, cool.
Love your rifle.

NeoMarz1
01-16-2003, 01:04 AM
I've sent you a PM Marz.

Not bad! Not bad at all! Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-16-2003, 10:26 AM
:D************New Screen!*************:D

Well not to much, but here it is.
www.talocan.net/mars/zam_final_line.jpg

I changed the legs, arms, and added Clawdite head (still working that out). It's just about lined up and ready on the skelaton. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Way to go, Marz. Who's going to skin her?

Sounds Risky
01-16-2003, 03:41 PM
She's looking excellent Marz. Think you could show us a larger picture to maybe better critique?

NeoMarz1
01-16-2003, 08:18 PM
Way to go, Marz. Who's going to skin her?

I'm going to, so be ready for something way cool (when finished) ;) Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-16-2003, 08:20 PM
She's looking excellent Marz. Think you could show us a larger picture to maybe better critique?

Yeah I can, Theres not much change in facial features... so the early screens are still good. This was more or less, just a shot to show that the work is still moving along. Mars out!

boinga1
01-16-2003, 08:33 PM
looks good. If i may comment, the torso and head seem disproportionately small compared to the arms and lower body.

NeoMarz1
01-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by boinga1
looks good. If i may comment, the torso and head seem disproportionately small compared to the arms and lower body.

Iv'e gotten similar comments from others, The model is lined up on the Skelaton... I may enlarge the head and extend the crotch area. This is the only area that seems to be off. It may be whats making the arms look long, since the arms arc should place it in proportion to the crotch :eek: (sounds perverse) :eek:, but you know what I mean. Mars out!

morphius_doh
01-17-2003, 08:53 PM
There seems to be something funky going on with the boots. The toe sections need to be flattened out.

Here's a full body referance pic (side view) of Zam

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/zamwesell/index_eu.html

NeoMarz1
01-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Well, here's where I am so far...

The model has been segmented and capped.
I'm almost done with the hierarchy.

Here are some of the model fixes...
1) Feet were flattened.
2) Arms reworked.
3) Nose rounded better.
4) Helmet tilted forward (for that sniper look).
5) I made several small adjustments to get rid of the "elongated arms" problem. (flattened shoulder line, lowered crotch, resized torso, etc...)

Hang in there guys, the model is on its way;) Mars out.

Psyk0Sith
01-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Cant wait to see the skin on this one! Go marz!

:monkey4::snipe1:

NeoMarz1
01-19-2003, 11:47 PM
:DGood news:D

I spent sunday morning making Zam's speeder. Im going to map it as soon as I figure that part out! I plan to put it out for map usage. Maybe I can get someone to do a Zam map. I know I'm getting crazy with the models, but I want to make everthing related to Zam, She's just so damn hot!:eek: Next weekend Im gonna try to start mapping both models. Anyone who wants to use the speeder in a map, let me know.

Here are screens courtesy of our good pal "KSK H2O". :D

www.talocan.net/mars/zampose.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdscn1.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdscn5.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspeeder2.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspeeder3.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspeeder4.jpg

Mars out!

boinga1
01-20-2003, 01:44 PM
:drop2: amazing Marz, you MUST, go ahead and skin...well, all of it!

Lord Tnuc
01-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Very good, Mars. Can'twait to see the final product

SpYzEr
01-20-2003, 07:26 PM
:drop2: Wow Marz, that looks amazing! I can't wait for the skins and the release. :D

The Truthful Liar
01-20-2003, 08:41 PM
Love the ship. :]

inbredyokel
01-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Sweet bajesus! It all looks so perfect...why didn't you start modeling sooner?!

El Sitherino
01-20-2003, 09:16 PM
holy ****ing **** thats nice.

Dragonlancer
01-21-2003, 01:00 AM
That looks awsome, can't wait to play as Zam. I'm kinda surprised no one has tried this yet. The ship is awsome too. Can't wait to see her skinned (that's not how it sounds...textured. Yes, textured!) It'll go good with the new sniper rifle model.:D :D

__CKY__
01-21-2003, 11:28 PM
:eek: That is Fu***** awesome You are 1 talented person :D I can't wait to play as Zam :p

NeoMarz1
01-24-2003, 03:38 AM
***:D Zam Project Update :D***

Zam is coming along nicely!
1) I made big improvements to the figure!
2) I am now working on the weighting
3) This weekend I will more than likely have the Model Mapped.

The Speeder model now has the interior cockpit modeled, and Windows. I might have time to map and skin that one by this sunday! Down side, no responses for help on the map. A Zam Map may have to wait till I can figure that one out on my own. Hopefully someone will volunteer to work on it.

The second version of Zam's rifle will have an Icon, and new sound files. Down side, the actual rifle sounds in the movie have music track over the top (barely noticable, but its there). Not sure if I want to risk the quality for that sound. The fire effects sound like Tie Fighter blasts sped up. Just a guess, but I'm going to experiment a little.

In a nutshell, I feel like things are working out, but I wont know till I actually get it into a glm file. Hopefully I didnt make any bad mistakes. Keep checking here for screenies. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-24-2003, 09:53 AM
For the sounds, perhaps you could take the sounds from the epII weapons pack, which includes your rifle. Someone added the rifle blast sound and it sounds just fine. Great job, Marz. I hope you do really well on this.

mort!!!
01-24-2003, 11:07 AM
Hey Marz, someone's beat you to making an icon for it.

Check out Episode II Weapons Pack at www.jk2files.com.

NeoMarz1
01-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by mort!!!
Hey Marz, someone's beat you to making an icon for it.

Check out Episode II Weapons Pack at www.jk2files.com.

You know... that is so cool when someone likes your work enough to sponser it in a weapons pack! So cool! I'll have to download it, and see what he did.

On another note, I missed a small detail on the rifle... Or should I say that Lucas arts did. Let me explain... I got most my imagery from the "Attack of the clones visual dictionary". In the book they show the rifle with a single scope. Recently I went to look at the Zam Wesell doll (which the doll itself sucks badly), and I looked at the rifle, Guess what? It has Dual scopes! At first I didnt know what to think, then I went to the DVD to get confirmation. Yes it does have a dual scopes (or maybe a scope with a side computer). I may change it, we'll have to see. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by __CKY__
:eek: That is Fu***** awesome You are 1 talented person :D I can't wait to play as Zam :p

Thanks a lot man, but I have to say that it's not talent. Every thing I know comes from hard work... but then again my father was a painter, so maybe there is something in the blood. More than anything, Just plain hard work. I believe that anyone can achieve what they want, with exception to the runner ups for "American Idol"! :D Mars out!

__CKY__
01-25-2003, 01:26 AM
True true lol.:D Hows it coming? (Zam that is)

DeadlyBOFH
01-25-2003, 08:44 PM
Marz: Im not only putting it in the weapons pack.. I like it so much after ive given it the real zam sniper rifle sound that im going to include it in the next omnimod.

You know... that is so cool when someone likes your work enough to sponser it in a weapons pack! So cool! I'll have to download it, and see what he did.

On another note, I missed a small detail on the rifle... Or should I say that Lucas arts did. Let me explain... I got most my imagery from the "Attack of the clones visual dictionary". In the book they show the rifle with a single scope. Recently I went to look at the Zam Wesell doll (which the doll itself sucks badly), and I looked at the rifle, Guess what? It has Dual scopes! At first I didnt know what to think, then I went to the DVD to get confirmation. Yes it does have a dual scopes (or maybe a scope with a side computer). I may change it, we'll have to see. Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-25-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by DeadlyBOFH
Marz: Im not only putting it in the weapons pack.. I like it so much after ive given it the real zam sniper rifle sound that im going to include it in the next omnimod.

Thats great! I can't wait to see the mod! Should be awesome!

I Finally got good references for Version 2.0. If your sound bite is better than what I got, can I use it? Mars out!

NeoMarz1
01-25-2003, 11:33 PM
:D***** Smashing News from Mars*****:D

I just totally finished the Speeder. I decided to Map it first (for the purposes of learning). It came out way better than expected. Screens will be up soon. Get ready for something special;) I am Skinning Zam Tonight!!!!! Wish me luck! Mars out!

El Sitherino
01-25-2003, 11:37 PM
sweet cant wait marz.

[JKZ]_Yun
01-26-2003, 05:38 AM
sweet model marz :D
can't wait
:)

Wolfey
01-26-2003, 06:50 AM
Wow, Marz!
The model is looking soo awesome, i just cant wait till it gets skinned :drool1:!

Cheers!

NeoMarz1
01-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Wolfey
Wow, Marz!
The model is looking soo awesome, i just cant wait till it gets skinned :drool1:!

Cheers!

Well, I just finished skinning the Head/helmet area. I'll try to get "H2O" to put the screens up.

On the same note: Here is a question for those who have mapping knowledge... I have the helmet, goggles, and head mapped separetely. How can I get them on the same Bit Map? As you know the "Texporter" for 3Dmax only allows you to pick a single object. Since the helmet, goggles, and head are separate objects, I cant get them on the same bitmap. What can I do here? Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
01-26-2003, 03:27 PM
You have to attach them to one another, assign different face ID to them before tho.

First, unwrap all of the objects, once you're done, assign a different material ID to each.

To change a material id, go in sub-object mode>Faces (or polygon) scroll down the list until you see the material ID spinner (where you can add auto smooth).

Select all of the object's faces and type in a number, 1 for the helmet, 2 for the goggles and the head would be 3 (or any number you want).

The reason you do this, is that once your uvwmap is exported, you can go back and detach the objects from one another just by selecting the material id they were assigned.

If you wanted to detach the head, you would go in sub-object mode, polygon>go to the material id section, type 3 in the "select by material id" dialog and voila! you have all the head's surface, all you have to do is detach it and change it's name back.

Back to the subject...

"once they have different material IDs, you can attach them together."

This will make 1 big mesh formed by the 3 objects with different material IDs (when max ask if you want to assign different materials simply click "keep material id" i dont have max running but its something like that).

Next apply an unwrap modifier and scale/move the uvwmaps so they fit the "texture space". When happy with the layout you can export the texture maps with Texporter. Once it's done you can detach them from one another. When you apply the new textures to each they will only cover the part you told 'em to.

Hope this helps

NeoMarz1
01-26-2003, 04:21 PM

Hope this helps

Heck yeah! Thanks man. I'm sure I'll have a question somewhere down the line, But this really helps. Thanks again Psyko, Yoo Dah Man! Mars out!:D

Psyk0Sith
01-26-2003, 04:52 PM
No problem, and u da man! ;P

Lord Tnuc
01-27-2003, 12:09 AM
Great job, Marz. I seriously can't wait to see what you have cooked up. Zam is looking great. I sure hope you're good with skinning :D

NeoMarz1
01-27-2003, 10:45 AM
:D :D :D More Screens :D :D :D

Heres the screens I promised (Thanks again H2O).

www.talocan.net/mars/zammapped1.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zammapped2.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zammapped3.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdrskinned1.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdrskinned2.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdrskinned4.jpg

www.talocan.net/mars/zamspdrskinned5.jpg

I will have to make some adjustments to the speeder. The running rail lights are missing, and it seems as that there are two versions out there. Single seat or passenger. I made it single, but it's passenger seat in the movie (oops). Mars out!

Hekx
01-27-2003, 10:56 AM
Woah. :eek: Amazing!

Great work Marz. :thumbsup:

Are you planning to make an alternate clawdite head / body for the Zam model? I think you might've said something about it earlier. :)

Both models look nicely well made. I envy your artistic crafting skills. ;) :D

gt r?
01-27-2003, 01:04 PM
WOAH!!!:drop2: :drop2: Really nice job m8!!:eek: :eek:

Excelent work Marz!Cant wait :eek: :eek:

sorry for the double post =)

Psyk0Sith
01-27-2003, 02:40 PM
That's amazing!, but what else would you expect from marz?

Awesome work as always!

NeoMarz1
01-27-2003, 10:11 PM
Woah. :eek: Amazing!

Great work Marz. :thumbsup:

Are you planning to make an alternate clawdite head / body for the Zam model? I think you might've said something about it earlier. :)

Both models look nicely well made. I envy your artistic crafting skills. ;) :D

Well, I'm thinking about it. Havent decided yet. I plan on doing a lot of skin varients for Zam. Maybe Desert, and Congo varient. It seems to me that Zam has probably been on several different bounty/assassin missions. I think she probably would have all kinds of cool equipment that would be usefull in all kinds of terrain. Where Jango has lots of cool weapons like flamethrower, claw gaunts, etc. Zam seem to be a bare knuckles bounty professional. She uses a sniper rifle, short range pistol, and uses her speeder to get in and out of action. I would go so far as to say she would definately have black suit for night missions. The fact that she would where a veil (even though she's morpher), shows to me that she would wear just about anything that would give her the advantage. Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-28-2003, 04:38 AM
Good ideas, Marz. Perhaps I might have some suggestions for some ideas or whatnot? I have a few good ones. You might like them, actually. There any way for me to get ahold of you?
I have AIM.

moooa
01-28-2003, 05:30 PM
I'd like the head and helmet when it's just modelling but with the texture wow .. what can i say it's wonderful

The speeder is impressive too

NeoMarz1
01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Good ideas, Marz. Perhaps I might have some suggestions for some ideas or whatnot? I have a few good ones. You might like them, actually. There any way for me to get ahold of you?
I have AIM.

Well you could use my E-mail (which is posted all over this thread). I need to get IM. Is that AOL IM? Mars out!

Lord Tnuc
01-28-2003, 09:35 PM
Is that AOL IM?

Yeah. It's a seperate program than AOL, but it still basically has the same screen name things and whatnot.

Mine is Host_Gambit@mac.com (yes, that is a screen name)

morphius_doh
01-29-2003, 03:56 PM
The model looks good so far, but there's a few things that need to be worked on:

The top lip sticks out too far, almost looks like she has a swollen lip.

There is a crease in the nose section that needs to be removed.

The ear coverings, or whatever they're called, need to look like they're seperate from the face. Right now it looks like they're attached to the skin on her head.

NeoMarz1
01-29-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by morphius_doh
The model looks good so far, but there's a few things that need to be worked on:

The top lip sticks out too far, almost looks like she has a swollen lip.

There is a crease in the nose section that needs to be removed.

The ear coverings, or whatever they're called, need to look like they're seperate from the face. Right now it looks like they're attached to the skin on her head.

Yeah, I just removed the nose crease... kinda thought it looked funny too. The Comms gear isn't attached. I just snugged em up tight because there arent any back faces on em. I may pull em out a bit any how, cuz I'm not sure how they will render in-game. I'll take another look at the lips. The face has been matched to photos, but that doesnt mean that its perfect by any means. Mars out.

ksk h2o
01-30-2003, 04:58 AM
I find the model looks different in game than it does in modview or the modelling program. It is annoying to have to re-tweak the mesh after you have weighed it and got it in game, but very necessary in most cases.

THe model is coming out great mars. I can barely wait for it. :D

NeoMarz1
01-31-2003, 07:41 PM
I find the model looks different in game than it does in modview or the modelling program. It is annoying to have to re-tweak the mesh after you have weighed it and got it in game, but very necessary in most cases.

THe model is coming out great mars. I can barely wait for it. :D

Lets hope I dont have to do much re-tweaking. I have already had to back track on this model, and its a bit frustrating (sigh);) ... so on that point, The model is moving along still, but I had to redo the maps. Since I had to do that, I went back and made even more tweaks on the figure and head. This model should come out even better than before (thats what we want right?). I feel good though, cuz this model has received more attention than anything else I've done for this game. I know that the next model will be alot easier. Be patient everyone, cuz you should see a fully skinned model when the next screenies come out;) Mars out!

MasterKoon237
01-31-2003, 08:30 PM
That sounds totally sweet! Can't wait for realease! Keep up the good work!

inbredyokel
02-01-2003, 05:39 PM
If you're interested Marz, Aotctc would really like to have you as a modeler/texture artist. Just send me a pm or stop by the forums if you're interested (www.aotctc.com/forums) or to get more info.

NeoMarz1
02-02-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by inbredyokel
If you're interested Marz, Aotctc would really like to have you as a modeler/texture artist. Just send me a pm or stop by the forums if you're interested (www.aotctc.com/forums) or to get more info.

I may consider it. Mars out!

__CKY__
02-02-2003, 01:17 PM
:eek: That is awesome,That is 0wnage, That is...Solid :D

DarkLord60
02-02-2003, 07:28 PM
inbredyokel thats good that your recruiting but you can't just make someone a member you must tell anakin and he will do it.

Ronin_Medjai
02-03-2003, 05:40 AM
Sweet marz! if you are the same marz who makes all those skins on jediknightii.net then you are like my Idol seriously you are making yourself bigger than Kinja probly alreay bigger than his rep. I run a small little organization that has the ideas to explode this community and we have some awesome ideas planeed ahead I use almost all of all of you talented peopls mods,skins,and maps for my JKOing and kudos to you all Maybe you can join these little projects I have coming up they are really something if you ever played on the zone you probly already know what I do my group is called RPI RolePlayers Inc. and our site is www.roleplayersinc.com its under reconstruction that splash page I made day before yesterday gonna try and finish the interface tomorrow and get all the php and news scripts up the flash intro is almost complete as well. See you all soon Im sure of it. :bdroid2:

NeoMarz1
02-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Ronin_Medjai
Sweet marz! if you are the same marz who makes all those skins on jediknightii.net then you are like my Idol seriously you are making yourself bigger than Kinja probly alreay bigger than his rep. I run a small little organization that has the ideas to explode this community and we have some awesome ideas planeed ahead I use almost all of all of you talented peopls mods,skins,and maps for my JKOing and kudos to you all Maybe you can join these little projects I have coming up they are really something if you ever played on the zone you probly already know what I do my group is called RPI RolePlayers Inc. and our site is www.roleplayersinc.com its under reconstruction that splash page I made day before yesterday gonna try and finish the interface tomorrow and get all the php and news scripts up the flash intro is almost complete as well. See you all soon Im sure of it. :bdroid2:

Bigger than Kinja? Whoa... I don't know if I deserve that, but I appreciate it. I'm glad you like my skins. I hope that my name is getting a reputation for good work. Ive been an artist for so long, and rarely have I been "known" for anything. I guess I can only say one thing... Thanks:D it feels good to be appreciated! Mars out!

inbredyokel
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
inbredyokel thats good that your recruiting but you can't just make someone a member you must tell anakin and he will do it.

Yes, I know. However, Anakin has asked me to recruit modelers and Marz was specifically mentioned. So the order does indeed come from central command ;)

DarkLord60
02-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Very Well

DarkLord60
02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Ignore this

DarkLord60
02-04-2003, 05:26 PM
and this

Altus_Thrawn
02-05-2003, 10:03 PM
Zam is awsome, almost as awsome as this model.
This is plain great.
What can I say, excellent detail, no noticable errors.

Altus_Thrawn
This is plain great.

Altus_Thrawn
This is plain great.

Sorry about triple post, the comp froze up and did it. This was not done to increase post count. :(

Altus_Thrawn
02-05-2003, 10:04 PM
This is plain great.
Same as above, comp froze. Sorry. :(

t3rr0r
02-05-2003, 10:17 PM
simple solution... click edit... select the delete check box and press delete... voila.

NeoMarz1
02-05-2003, 11:15 PM
:D****Good News!****:D

Zam has been skinned, just waiting for KSK H2O to post em on his site! Soon as he does I'll shoot the link! The skin looks good, but I will certainly do more to it! Just hope the rest of the process goes smoothly. Stay tuned for more info. Mars out!:D :D :D

Altus_Thrawn
02-06-2003, 07:26 AM
Awsome. This model is really making good progress. Hopefully an excellent skin on an already excellent model. :)

NeoMarz1
02-07-2003, 07:49 PM
Well... "KSK H2O" cant get the pictures up till he is through with personal business. Dont know when I can get the pics up, but I'll make sure they get posted. Anyone wants to be my "backup poster" let me know and I'll shoot the pics your direction. Guess I should get some webspace, huh? Mars out!

Hekx
02-07-2003, 08:05 PM
I can help with webspace for pictures, just send them to me at ka_hekx@hotmail.com ;)

__CKY__
02-08-2003, 12:40 AM
This is one fuxing awesome model dude :D

Ronin_Medjai
02-08-2003, 06:27 AM
yeah i can host on my RPI server also if you want my email is lordsod521@hotmail.com I an take the pics for it if you dont have none yet neither or either way you want it.

Hekx
02-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Here's the screenies:
(8 in all) :)

http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr1.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr2.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr3.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr4.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr5.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr6.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr7.jpg
http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/Zamclr8.jpg

They're all located here (http://www.hekx.cjb.net/zam/).
Excellent work Mars! :D

__CKY__
02-08-2003, 12:11 PM
:eek: Holy **** that is amazing :eek:

Bob Gnarly
02-08-2003, 12:17 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

gt r?
02-08-2003, 12:45 PM
That's ******* nice!?:eek: :eek: :eek:

{BK}SupremePain
02-08-2003, 01:00 PM
wow holy crap thats nice....

mace_sundancer
02-08-2003, 01:31 PM
wow, cool...

12thMonkey
02-08-2003, 02:34 PM
Superb, and for a first model: unbelievable.

SpYzEr
02-08-2003, 02:49 PM
:drop2: Holy ****! Marz, that looks amazing! Keep up the good work!

Psyk0Sith
02-08-2003, 03:41 PM
:eek: ooooooh me like! :D, that's gonna be model of the week for shure when it's released!

I few pointers if i may...she seems to be a bit flat chested, the face is a bit squary and are you planning on modelling the hood or leave it textured? That's all, the rest is perfect!!.

I can understand some parts have lower polycounts given the fact she's got lots of extra polys for the veil, skirt and other accesories!.

How many polys by the way?

nomad
02-08-2003, 04:07 PM
That's insane Marz!!
It's great to see someone that's great at skinning take on modelling and succeed there too.
That really looks amazing for a first model. (I mean, it looks really good, regardless... but for a first...)
Congrats so far. Now you've got all that weighting and fun stuff to learn about.
Good luck, I hope you pick it up and enjoy the whole process.

-nomad

May the force be with you

boinga1
02-08-2003, 06:12 PM
:bored: you disappoint me marz...j/k :lol:

typical marz unbelievability on the skinning, looks very good with the model.

Lord Tnuc
02-08-2003, 07:43 PM
Great job, Marx. That looks outstanding. By the way, I sent you a PM. Again, great job on Zam. She looks amazing.

Matt-Liell
02-08-2003, 07:45 PM
That is absolutly amazing!:eek:

NeoMarz1
02-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Here's the screenies:
(8 in all) :)

Excellent work Mars! :D

Thanks for posting Hekx! And thanks to everyone for the great comments. Like I said the model will be tweaked a little more, but for the most part I'm going to move into the next phases. I dont like to spend to much time on one thing, because it starts to feel old. I want the release of this model to feel new to me as well! It's my one flaw (impatience). Mars out!

morphius_doh
02-08-2003, 09:01 PM
I have to agree that the face is too square. I think it has to do with the shape of the jaw line. The jaw needs to be angled a little more.

Another thing about the face is that it's either too pink or too pale. What needs to be done is to give her a better flesh tone.

One other thing: tubing, or whatever you call it, needs to come further down closer to the waste. http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/zamwesell/index_eu.html

Wudan
02-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Dang - one small question - can we use the model in AotC:tc?

I doubt we'd be able to model it quite as well.

Altus_Thrawn
02-09-2003, 08:30 PM
That is just great. The veil could use some work, everything else is perfect.
If you are impatient, it is only after perfecting your work.

NeoMarz1
02-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Great job, Marx. That looks outstanding. By the way, I sent you a PM. Again, great job on Zam. She looks amazing.

In regards to the PM, check this out!
http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp[/url]

This should help, Mars out!;)

DarkLord60
02-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by wudan

You never know, but yes we do need someone with your talent.

NeoMarz1
02-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by wudan

Well, It shouldnt be an issue. Ask me again when it's finished. Mars out!

:D*****Update*****:D
Just finished getting everything back together, I should already have some of the weighting done by this weekend. I guess this means were in the final stretch, but we'll see ;) Mars out!

Hekx
02-12-2003, 01:30 PM
Just a quick question here; do you plan to make more models after Zam? There still isn't a Coleman Trebor model released. :(

Oh, and if you need a picture host, I can host them if you send me the pics. ;)

NeoMarz1
02-12-2003, 09:17 PM
Just a quick question here; do you plan to make more models after Zam? There still isn't a Coleman Trebor model released. :(

Oh, and if you need a picture host, I can host them if you send me the pics. ;)

Yeah I plan on it... Someone else was working out a Coleman model earlier (several posts back it was mentioned). I may do him if nothing shows up in the forums soon! Adi Gallia was my next consideration, but I dunno. We'll see. Whoever I do, it will be someone cool (of course). So just watch this thread, towards the end I will make a decision. Mars out!

Sounds Risky
02-14-2003, 06:56 PM
You could always skin Trebor for me Marz, if you'd be willing to of course.

NeoMarz1
02-15-2003, 11:52 AM
You could always skin Trebor for me Marz, if you'd be willing to of course.
Oh there you are. Yeah, possibly. I'll get with you later (after this Zam project) Mars out!

NeoMarz1
02-15-2003, 12:02 PM
****Zam Project Update****

Well, I did manage to get going on the weighting. Only one problem... My PC is giving me major performance problems (128 RAM). It's very hard to weight a model when things freeze up, so I'm looking into getting more RAM. On this point, I'm also looking for someone to weight this model (tilll I get the performance issues taken care of). A lot of my current contacts are working other projects, so we'll see where this goes. At any rate, I have been working on the other skin varients to include Desert, Congo, Tundra, and Night surveilance gear. The second version of Zam's Rifle is being tweeked to include better reticule, and Targeting Computer that was not modeled on V 1.0.

This project feels too huge at times, but it will get finished. Mars out!

Psyk0Sith
02-15-2003, 03:25 PM
What kind of PC you have Marz?

I've got a PIII 1Ghz with 256 MB Ram and a 3D Prophet Geforce 3 running win2k...excellent performance when working on lower poly meshes (a P4 would be even better, but i'm not made of money!!!).

Before you buy more ram, make sure your settings are correct for the viewport. Running on the P3/AMD drivers or heidi is not as good as the Open GL extension of your card...if you happen to have a Geforce 2 or 3.

Do not display textures when working on the weighting...textures can really slow down the performance (depends on the machine too).

Ram could be the problem, but first check your viewport settings.

If no one else can help you, you can count on me, i dont want to see all this hard work (and awesome model!) get stuck at this point, when it is so close to being completed.

Hellfire Jedi
02-15-2003, 03:25 PM
Keep chugging Marz your doing great!
I just got my comp working again!!! HOORAY
New motherboard new vid card 128mb of video memory on it :D 655ram w00t
i wish i could give you some marz =/
No money = me =/ But....
When I see people who are good at doing 2 things excellently I automatically think of YOU Marz.

NeoMarz1
02-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi
Keep chugging Marz your doing great!
I just got my comp working again!!! HOORAY
New motherboard new vid card 128mb of video memory on it :D 655ram w00t
i wish i could give you some marz =/
No money = me =/ But....
When I see people who are good at doing 2 things excellently I automatically think of YOU Marz.

Thanks man! that means alot, moooa just talked me into doing LODS. I wasn't going to but I'll give it a swing! Mars out!

__CKY__
02-15-2003, 06:05 PM
Good to hear :D Good luck