PDA

View Full Version : RPG Commenor

Shadriss
01-27-2003, 12:33 AM
Well, for those of you who follow my somewhat dubious mapping career, you may have noticed that my SP Deception set didnt work out, mostly because I didn't feel like I had a whole lot of support from the community. Not blaming you, just saying. Of course, the fact that a month's worth of mapping suddenly vanished in a badly-timed autosave may have had SOMEthing to do with it...

But, now, as usualy, I have something new up my sleeve.

Those who have been following the Mos Entha WIP have probobly heard about RA (Roleplayers Anonymous) and the kind of maps they like, IE RPG. Well, FuzzYCrimmy got to talking to me a week ago, complaining about the lack of trrully good RPG maps.

Guess who got suckered into doing one? :)

After a week of work, I have one area all but finished, and another underway. In addition, I have Fuzzy and WesKesh helping me out with area layouts and designs, so hopefully this one will actually MAKE it to the final stages.

The work, thus far, can be viewed (now and ALWAYS) at http://ramapping.moonfruit.com

I'll keep it as updated as I can, but as I now work much longer hours than once I did, this one wont be going as quicklyas my work might once have.

As always, comments, suggestions for improvement, etc. are always welcome.

Wes Marrakesh
01-27-2003, 12:38 AM
*taps his foot and waits for adminship*

Ya know, Wes would work just fine :D

DISorder
01-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Shadriss, please take out the Mos Entha download until the newest one comes out on pcgamemods.com otherwise everyone who downloads from your site will have an outdated version.

Thanks

As for the map, looks like its comming along nicely, although I dont know if I like the texture for the wall in the little alcove things (the grey with red stripe). Good luck, hope you turned off autosave :D

DISorder

Hekx
01-27-2003, 09:52 AM
It's always great to have good RPG maps, and this one sounds like the bomb. :)

Make sure The Dancing Green Knight has a disco floor so Lando can get his groove on. :D

Nice idea. :thumbsup:

Wudan
01-27-2003, 10:44 AM
I am normally enthused at Shadriss' work, but I find myself needing more depth ... hmmm

Kengo
01-27-2003, 01:41 PM
Same thing happened to me ages ago with a map, and an autosave saving a big error I couldn't fix :( Clearly it's a bit late...but are you gonna turn off autosave in future? I think it's more of a danger than a useful thing, seems more likely to save unsolvable problems than make sure you don't lose work.

Kengo
01-27-2003, 02:03 PM
The ideas for the map look great, JK2 and monty python? you can't lose man :) It sounds like a very detailed and believable place you've got planned, I've never really understood RPG gaming in jk2, but this gives me more of an idea what its about.

Shadriss
01-27-2003, 05:59 PM
So much feedback already? Man that feels good...

DIS - I put it up on the site for RA until it got put on PCGameMods... but not a problem... they only needed it for last night anyways, and it IS taking up hosting space! :)

As for the Red stripe on grey, it looks MUCH better in game than it does in the screenshot... the grey is all chromy and semi-reflective. It needed a highlight to break it up a little, and that looked best of the ideas I tried.

Noxu - I have TENATIVE plans for a disco floor - though me and Fuzzy have yet to fully discuss it. (Myself, I think we almost HAVE to! A nightclub without a DISCO? PERISH the thought!)

Wudan - I think you're missing part of the idea. The Python referances are no more than a big In-Joke. When myself, Fuzzy, and Wes started planning this, we got into a bit of a laugh fest remembering The Holy Grail. It gave us a direction to go, nothing more. It may not be the kind of "in-depth" map I'm usually doing, but, as the old saying goes... "All work and no play..."

Kengo - You have NO idea how pissed I was... the only thing I will say concerning Deception is that at least the Hospital wing DESIGN will live on - it's my basis for the Commenor Clinic. But, I also switched from JK2 to GTK 1.2.11 before I started this, and it's working out MUCH better (aside from a few complaints about how it handles curves, but thats for another place).

As for understanding RPG in JK2 - you dont have to. The level, as I have it envisioned right now, should offer good FFA, Duel, and possibly CTF action as well... I'll figure THAT out when I get more of it put together.

Thanks for all the initial feedback, ,guys, and PLEASE, ,for my OWN sanity, keep commenting as it updates? Please?

Oh, and Legion - Just so there is NO misunderstanding this time... *chuckle* - The "Showcased Item" is being hosted off-thread... so please dont close this one eh? :)

Shadriss

Wudan
01-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Well, I probably am missing part of the idea, but I do LOVE Monty Python :)

I'll try to have a better attitude :)

I'm interested in making another map soon, I've only had one (EVER), but I doubt you'll find it ... tee hee!

At least you're doing what you want to do - what you do is impressive - I always get side-tracked.

Maybe someday, I can try to impress you?

Shadriss
01-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Boy, THERES an assumption! I dont get near HALF the look I wish I could... I guess I'm just good at getting some ideas across better than others. Really, ,I dont have time (or patuience!) to get it all in. :)

DISorder
01-27-2003, 07:28 PM
I dont know if I like the woodgrain texture on the tables, looks fake...of course, I dont know where you could find any better... :/
Just a suggestion :D

EDIT: Do you do your own textures? Also the patchshadows looks cool, are you using q3map2 (gotta learn to use that)? and is anyone else getting slowdown when they try to post?

Wes Marrakesh
01-27-2003, 07:52 PM
For Swallow Spaceport: did the texture last night.

Leslie Judge
01-27-2003, 09:08 PM
Maybe it's too late or just too redundant to say, but a simple autosave shouldn't necessarily be the end of a map. I'm not talking about that 'Do it again, it will be better than original'. I'm talking about snapshots.

Do you guys use them? Very useful, when you saved your map twice (so errorfree .bak file bye-bye) with the error and after that let the editor to make an autosave (errorfree autosave.map bye-bye).

Shadriss
01-27-2003, 09:55 PM
I checked for the snapshots, and, ,lo and behold, ,THOSE were gone too! :(

Sad to have lost all that work... really irked me off.

On to better news.

The clinic area has been fully laid out, ,though not textured or lit yet. I have a few textures to make (some pics of some Jedi Kids from EP2 and a couple of landscapes) that are goingto go in before I do that, but it should be essentially done tommorrow night I hope. IN the meantime, I have a screenshot of the top-down layout view from radient.

While I'm thinking about it, ,is there any reason a fog-type brush (ie, Water) could not be a func_door, so as to simulate rising water?

wedge2211
01-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Shadriss
While I'm thinking about it, ,is there any reason a fog-type brush (ie, Water) could not be a func_door, so as to simulate rising water?

I tried that once. I made a fog brush into a func_door, opening down, negative lip, start_open. Then I hooked a trigger_multiple to it. When I set off the trigger, nothing happened. :) I tried it with water once, too, but that made lots of HOM errors along all the walls and when underwater, the view wasn't tinted/distorted. If you can try it with better luck, let me know!

Originally posted by DISorder
I dont know if I like the woodgrain texture on the tables, looks fake...of course, I dont know where you could find any better... :/

You can use the wood-beam textures that I made for CotA if you'd like.

Really sucks about Deception, I want to see some good SP maps, and you seemed to have a good setup going...nuts.

(PS...wudan? STRONG BAD???)

Shadriss
01-28-2003, 06:49 AM
As to the wood grain, I took a look after I saw that comment, and it looked a lot better when I tightetend up the space between the woodgrains, so the next round of pics for that (Not anytime soon, BTW) should look better there.

And I WILL let you know if this idea works, Wedge... count on it. :)

Wudan
01-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by wedge2211
(PS...wudan? STRONG BAD???)

Yes. Strong Bad. He is verrrry verrrry funny.

Oh, and I saw once how that rising water thing is done, but I do not remember how it was done. It was in the quake3world forums.

Pnut_Man
01-28-2003, 03:24 PM
I'm really looking forward to this map. If you guys ever need help with new textures just email me or something. I'll be watching this thread with a close eye ;)

MuRaSaMuNe
01-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Looks tight, cool site too :thumbsup:

Shadriss
01-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Well, I didnt get too much done today really. A few new textures made and used, but I didnt finish the clinic, let alone get it lit. *shrug* Can't be a workhorse all the time.

However, I can report the following mappers are ALSO now working on this project :

Wes - Currently working the Spaceport
FuzzyCrimmy - Currently working the Detention Center
Kal_El (aka WhiteShdw) - Either the Temple, or the Office (to be determined)

So, at least I have a lot of help this time!

THe clinic should be done tommorrow, , assuming I dont have yet ANOTHER bad day.

Pnut_Man
01-28-2003, 10:03 PM
There's a blueprint of the clinic in the screenshots section of the site. I've also heard that there will be enterable bacta healing tanks..heh..

DISorder
01-28-2003, 10:16 PM
Holy cow, your radiant is very clean, like, you can see the stuff, in Mos Entha it was pretty hard to make things out, especially from the side views with everything else in the way, but anyways, looks like your'e comin along good, w00t.

Shadriss
01-29-2003, 05:59 AM
*grimace* THanks for bringing that up, Pnut - I hadnt posted on that 'cause I'm not sure they will work yet.

But since they HAVE been mentioned... Yes, I plan to have four full sized bacta tanks that are at least PARTIALLY functional. They wont be able to heal you directly (that I've found, anyway), but you will be able to enter them, have the door close behind you, and have the bacta (water) come up and dunk you. It'll only be a few seconds long (or you'd drown) but it'll still be a nice touch... IF it works.

If anyone knows if it IS posible to have a trigger_mult or some other such entity do a partial or full heal to a player, could they please let me know? Assuming the rest of it works, it'd be just the icing on the cake for THAT to work as well.

Eldritch
01-29-2003, 09:00 AM
*grimace* THanks for bringing that up, Pnut - I hadnt posted on that 'cause I'm not sure they will work yet.

But since they HAVE been mentioned... Yes, I plan to have four full sized bacta tanks that are at least PARTIALLY functional. They wont be able to heal you directly (that I've found, anyway), but you will be able to enter them, have the door close behind you, and have the bacta (water) come up and dunk you. It'll only be a few seconds long (or you'd drown) but it'll still be a nice touch... IF it works.

If anyone knows if it IS posible to have a trigger_mult or some other such entity do a partial or full heal to a player, could they please let me know? Assuming the rest of it works, it'd be just the icing on the cake for THAT to work as well.

Didn't Dad*Mad's Palace Wars map have a fountain that healed you if you stood in it?

wedge2211
01-29-2003, 12:46 PM
What? No "Castle of AAAAAAaaaaahhhhhggggg?!"

Speaking of Palace Wars, how do you escape that hunc_alloc error thingy?

Eldritch
01-29-2003, 01:10 PM
Go into the console:

type : set com_hunkmegs 128

That should do it.

Shadriss
01-29-2003, 07:24 PM
Haven't played that one yet. Maybe eventually, Aru...

OK... THe clinic is textured and lit. The screenies are up, and though a few of them are slightly outdated (mostly because of small lighting changes) they are a good representation of the area.

The water thing I asked about works... just gotta make sure you make you water brush correctly is all. Otherwise, you wont sink into it.

Also included in the screenies is a small bloopers pic... I took it when I did the initial texturing and before I put in ANY lighting... I went in-game to evaluate lighting needs, and well... I'll let the pic speak for itself. :D

Also, welcome to the Project, Aru-Wen... NOW GET THAT POWER CENTER DONE! *cracks whip*

Pnut_Man
01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Now if we could just get LivingDeadJedi to join the Commenor team :p

Eldritch
01-29-2003, 11:06 PM
Haven't played that one yet. Maybe eventually, Aru...
You should check it out. Unfortunately, because of insane amount of detail, I am unable to do anything but 'tour' Palace Wars with my 1.53 GHz comp. :( Looks sweet, plays bad.

Also, welcome to the Project, Aru-Wen... NOW GET THAT POWER CENTER DONE! *cracks whip*

OUCH! *bandages back* Thanks, I think. ;) I've decided to shift my mapping schedule around and if I can map uninterrupted for a little while, I should have something to send to you instead of what I promised you'd have by Friday. I think you'll like this better anyway, Shad. Careful with that whip, now - wouldn't want you to lose an eye. :D

DISorder
01-29-2003, 11:47 PM
**DISorder marvles at how fast Shadriss' mapping is, and realizes how incredibly slow he is..."

lol, you are fast man, clinic looks good, the receptionist room looks a little overlit though, which I suspect may be hte lighting change you spoke of...

Shadriss
01-30-2003, 07:02 AM
Now if we could just get LivingDeadJedi to join the Commenor team :)

Oh, that's not TOO out of the question - I used to talk with LDJ fairly often, actually. Unfortunately, I dont see him all too often anymore bacause of work - he's on earlier in the day than when I get back from work. *sigh* As nicee as he'd be to have working with us though, I have enough mappers working right now.

lol, you are fast man, clinic looks good, the receptionist room looks a little overlit though, which I suspect may be hte lighting change you spoke of...

Right you are... and I think I've about got it tweaked in. DOn't be thinking I'm a fast mapper though - itjust happened that with these two areas, I knew EXACLTY what I wanted in terms of look and architecture. The clinic was actually simple - it's the same design as my Deceeption Hospital wing was going to be before it took a nose dive. Expect the pace to slow a little.

I've decided to shift my mapping schedule around and if I can map uninterrupted for a little while, I should have something to send to you instead of what I promised you'd have by Friday. I think you'll like this better anyway, Shad. Careful with that whip, now - wouldn't want you to lose an eye. :)

That'll be great, Aru. I look forward to seeing it. I think I mentioned this to you before, but I'll say it again just to make sure - don't worry about too many pretty details or finishing touches - I'll have to remap it to scale with the rest of the map in all likelihood - (this goes for my other mappers as well!).

Next stop : The detention center.

Eldritch
02-01-2003, 12:09 AM
Just thought I'd drop a screenshot to show you all what I've been working on. I'm still playing with the textures, so nothing is final yet. This is just a corner of the powerstation... nothing too big.

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation001.jpg

Shadriss
02-02-2003, 09:52 PM
Looking very nice, Aru - thanks for the work. When you catch me onine next, ,I'll want to get a better look in-game, of course.

For the rest of you - work has kind of hit a wall for the past few days - it's kind of hard to map when your 6 month old son can (and will) projectile puke at any given second. So, needless to say, No work has been done on my end.

I plan to watch EP4 scenes that show the Death Star detention area, as I plan to base the Detention center around that theme. Heck, If I get a good enough look, it may be a near mirror image. *shrug* We'll see.

Pnut_Man
02-03-2003, 06:53 AM
The Anticipation, God Bless you if this comes out right...
I look forward to screenshots + the detention center :)

Kengo
02-03-2003, 07:55 PM
I really like the way a group of talented mappers are working together on a large map, producing different areas, which have their own individual style whilst maintaining an overall feel for the map, great stuff, looking amazing so far :)

Eldritch
02-03-2003, 08:15 PM
There's talented mappers on this project?! Did I miss a meeting or something?

;)

Shadriss
02-03-2003, 09:09 PM
I think Kengo meant US, Aru... though Heaven knows *I* had to look twice too!

Started the layout for the Det center tonight... have a start on it, but it wont be ready in any shape for a day or two.

So... uh... I guess thats it. :)

Eldritch
02-03-2003, 09:28 PM
:lol: :rofl: *wipes eye* Good one, Shad. Seriously though, who are these mappers?

__CKY__
02-03-2003, 10:28 PM
Looks very good dude :D

Wes Marrakesh
02-05-2003, 01:48 PM
That couldn't be me, Aru.... ;)

Eldritch
02-05-2003, 03:56 PM
Quick look to show you all what I've been working on. Two shots of the main power generator (ignore the texturing, i'm still working on it):

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation003.jpg

http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation004.jpg

Shadriss
02-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Now I feel like I'm slacking on my Detention center... I haven't done much with it the past few days, mostly because I had to study for a test at work and my boy decided to try to set the distance record for projectile puking (he failed, but MAN he tried a lot...).

Eldritch
02-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Your boy has got his work cut out for him... I still hold that record. ;)

Shadriss
02-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Just dont give him any tips please? We're still cleaning up the damage here...

Wes Marrakesh
02-05-2003, 09:20 PM
You think you're slacking, Shad? I haven't touched the Landing for a week and a half!

Eldritch
02-05-2003, 10:04 PM
*wonders if he should crack the whip*

Hmm... yep. I think I need to.

*cracks the whip at Shadriss*

Get on your work!

*cracks the whip at Wes*

You're no exception! Get to work!

:D :p

Shadriss
02-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Wait a second... I thought *I* was in charge here?

OK ok... I got to work and got the Detention center completely laid out, though not textured or lit yet. I put up a "blueprint" screenshot on the site, along with a brief explanation of whats actually in there. Not much, but not bad for a day's work, I think.

Another day should see the area textured and lit... so I hope to have the good pics up tommorrow night.

Eldritch
02-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Wait a second... I thought *I* was in charge here?

You are, you are. At least we let you think that. :D

I was just kidding around, anyway. Can't wait to see the finished Detention Center.

Say, when I finish up the power station, do I get a new section to start on, or are you doing the rest yourself, you big bad mapper man? :p

Shadriss
02-06-2003, 04:00 PM
You honestly think I'm letting you off THAT easy? (Pause for loud racacous laughter). Not hardly.

I'mnot sure which I'm going to ask for next from you, so kind of look them all over and get back to me... if you something you WANT to do, that'll be great.

Eldritch
02-06-2003, 04:10 PM
I'll look over the site and check out the locations. What locations are already taken (or being planned)? I know Wes is working on one of them, and you've got at least 3...

Shadriss
02-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Wes has the spaceeport right now... THough he's talking about turning THAT over to me as well. Everything else is pretty much fair game.

Shadriss
02-07-2003, 05:51 AM
OK, I turned myself into a liar. I SAID I'd try to have the det cells ready last night. Obviously, that didn't happen. Heck, I didn't even OPEN Radient.

My Lame Excuse : I spent seven hours stripping wax from a deck at work yesterday, and I was extreamly pissed about it. (Also, my feet were killing me) When I got home, I decided as how I'd rather be taking a hot bath to relieve my poor footsies.

So, no mapping. I'll TRY to get it tonight though.

Shadriss
02-07-2003, 02:36 PM
I caught a break, ,ladies and gentlemen! Work was canceelled to day, as the snow was just TOO heavy. Yup - I GOT A SNOW DAY! WOO HOO!

So, naturally, I got to work on the Detention Ceter, and am pleased to report it is fully ready to service your criminal needs! Screenshots and a area summary are, ,as always, avaliable on the Commenor RPG site (http://www.ramapping.moonfruit.com).

Enjoy the pics, and, as always, comments are welcome.

Aru-Wen is apparently almost done with the full layout of the Power Center, so I expect to see that section done soon. My own next area will be the hotel, ,which I HOPE will not take as long as this last one did. We'll see.

Pnut_Man
02-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Fantastic work, and the map is 25% done! YA!

Eldritch
02-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Looks good, Shad. Very nice. I've really only got to do the control room (which won't be that big), then finalize the textures and lighting, and the Reactor will be set.

I was thinking of taking on the Museum next, if it's ok. :)

Shadriss
02-07-2003, 06:52 PM
SOunbds like a plan. I was thinking that what we could REALLY use there are some MD3 versions of some of the player models - Vader, Palpatine, and the like. THose would make some great display pieces... not sure if we can do that though...

Eldritch
02-07-2003, 07:16 PM
I think there's a way to place models into maps as .md3s, but it seems to be slipping my mind right now. I know there's a way to do it - maybe someone will enlighten us.

BTW, I finally got my signature image! Woohoo! :D

Shadriss
02-07-2003, 08:50 PM
Keep us posted on that, , Aru.

In other news, this SNOW DAY has continued to go great! I have the entire lobby for the hotel mapped out, including a KICKIN' Chandelier. It was a pain, but it'll look GREAT in the game, ,I'm sure. I hope to bust out this section the rest of the way tommorrow, or by Monday night, latest. We'll see.

Shadriss
02-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Well, at close of work today, I did have the hotel area fully mapped out. It's a tad bit larger than the previous areas (i wonder why). While I dont have it completed just yet, ,I do have some new screenie up on the site showcasing the lobby, and the many, many, many custom textures I did for it. *whew*.

Enjoy.

Eldritch
02-08-2003, 10:43 PM
A little bright, but I like the layout of the lobby, Shad. The wood texture irks me a bit, though. Can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't look quite natural.

Wes Marrakesh
02-09-2003, 05:38 PM
I'll agree with you, Aru. It looks too..... artificial. It's all bright, shiny, and brand-spanking-new-and-polished looking. Wood almost never looks like that. Also, I think the individual pieces are a tad too wide.

Eldritch
02-09-2003, 07:51 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head, Wes.

Shadriss
02-10-2003, 06:20 PM
When I find something I'm comfortable using on those banisters, I'll use it... right now, that wood is the best I have. Any suiggestions would be nicee... :)

Thanks for the donation, BTW, Aru.

Eldritch
02-10-2003, 06:47 PM
Sounds good, Shad. Maybe just lighten up the wood texture a bit, and pass it thru a filter to add some grain-type effect?

I like the glowy name. ;) Told ya it wouldn't take long if I helped you out. :D

Shadriss
02-10-2003, 06:50 PM
Actually, ,I talked with Fuzzy, ,and we're gonna trry a slightly reddish/brown marble with the shine shader effect. In addition, ,I'm changing a few layouts in the hotel, but only to have the rooms come off the balcony, instead of by way of a lift, as I'd originally planned.

And I'm still reworking the lighting too... at least the chandelier looks good. :)

Wes Marrakesh
02-10-2003, 08:19 PM
Ok, Aru. Start the donations :D

I think I'll downgrade to 1.2.10 again then get some serious mapping going...

Eldritch
02-10-2003, 08:55 PM
I donate a bunch of points all at once, Wes. I don't do it in increments. :)

And why downgrade? 1.2.11 is better? Or is it just a "Why do today that which I can put off until tomorrow" type of thing? ;)

Wes Marrakesh
02-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Because 1.2.11 gets insane slowdown :(

Eldritch
02-10-2003, 09:03 PM
That's strange. :confused:

Oh well, I guess go with what works.

Shadriss
02-11-2003, 03:56 PM
Obviously, I need to stop giving time estimates. Once again, I said I'd havean area done by a date, , and I didn't. *shrug* Well, at least it's ALMOST done. All that remains for the hotel area is lighting and a few doors.

The wood texture shown in the current screenies was replaced with a brown/red stone. It works MUCH better now.

Hopefully tonight (keeping in mind the first paragraph) I'll have it done.

Shadriss
02-11-2003, 09:36 PM
Hotel is complete, and screenshots are up.

Aru-Wen is closing in on completion of the Power Center, and has signed on to work the Museum (in case you missed it...).

Wes has done some small work on the Spaceport, but it's slow-going for him right now.

Kal_El is still considering areas, and he may or may not have to time to begin assisting on this project. I'm not going to count on it, though, but if you see him, be nice to him and puch him in the right direction! :)

Eldritch
02-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Looking good, Shad. I like the new texture much better. I'm just finishing up the control room, then I have to finalize the lighting. Should be done by Friday at the latest.

I've started sketching out my ideas for the Museum, but I need to talk with you about it whenever you get a chance.

Shadriss
02-13-2003, 07:16 PM
I'm usually on at least one every day, Aru. Normally on toward evening (6PM + EST).

In other news, I've decided to handle the arena area next. I have a few ideas for it, and it should be slammed out rather quickly. Fuzzy had it mostly laid out, but he did it just a TAD on the small side, and not quite as "glitzy" as I'd thought in my head.

But, as an overview :

Rectangular arena area, using a "natural" terrain motif. Plans include a small water area (puddle/stream), a small bridge, and, if an idea that I have pans out, ,the combatants will appear (from thier perspective) to be on a floating duel platform, when, in fact, they are surrounded by glass and spectators. I'm going to try to make the spectatotr area kind of plush, but not nearly so as the Hotel turned into.

That's the GENERAL plan, and I really hope it turns out well. I'll probobly start it tommorrow after work. Provided that work doesnt wear me out like they have the past couple of days.

wedge2211
02-13-2003, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shadriss
if an idea that I have pans out, ,the combatants will appear (from thier perspective) to be on a floating duel platform, when, in fact, they are surrounded by glass and spectators.[QUOTE]

camera portal? walls textured with glass on one side and a "flaoting platform" sky on the inside?

Shadriss
02-13-2003, 07:24 PM
Close, Wedge. Basically, the glass will be done as a one-way, but the interior will be skyshader textured. I'm not sure if this will work, but MAN it will be cool if it does... and if the FPS doesnt get shot to hell. :) I'm a BIG proponent of FPS... as DOTF2 thread followers will recall.

Shadriss
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
OK, I just made a quick test map for that idea, and it doesnt work. Too bad... Oh well... I guess I'll have to find another way to simulate it... maybe just paste the images of a skyshader onto those panels... wouldn't have QUITE the same effect, but...

Ideas? Comments?

Wes Marrakesh
02-13-2003, 11:10 PM
How come it doesn't work, Shad? Brush type issues?

Leslie Judge
02-14-2003, 04:14 AM
The problem is that if you apply a sky shader to a surface you can see the sky at the place of the surface but it is drawn behind everything. If there is something behind that surface then it will be visible.

I mean if you make a room, and a smaller room in it, and you put a sky shader on the smaller room's walls on the inside, then you will see the bigger room, since the sky will be drawn behind everything else, so behind the outer room's walls.

You CAN'T use skies to hide anything behind them. The only way to make this if you put everything beyond the distancecull value.

Shadriss, what if you make your inner arena walls and ceiling with a shader that simulates fog? Of course a real fog brush is not good because it would be visible for the spectators also. Actually that would be the only thing they see. :)

Wedge's question about using camera portals gives an other idea: why not? You only need 5 of them. And in this case you could make a separate room far from everything else and use real sky shaders for it. And a brush in the spectator room with 5 portal surfaces to display the cameras' picture. It would seem as the duelers are in that box for the audience. Maybe. :) I'm afraid that the displays will not make it looking real.

The big question is was anybody ever succesful in creating camera portals in MP?

Eldritch
02-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Leslie Judge
The big question is was anybody ever succesful in creating camera portals in MP?

Not to my knowledge, but I wouldn't let that stop me from trying. :D

I think Wedge's idea with the camera portals has real merit, but like Leslie, I wonder how good it would look.

wedge2211
02-14-2003, 11:31 AM
Okay, here's a more fleshed-out idea about the cameras, see what you think:

Use only one camera. Place it at the top of the arena, looking down at the combatants. Then, when you make the spectator area, build it as slightly elevated platforms above a glass floor that is ostensibly the cieling of the arena, but really just displays the camera view. Then put the physical arena room really far away from the rest of the map, put your floating-platform sky on it, set a distancecull value, and use teleports to get the players in and out of the arena.

Or you could just make the spectator room look like a movie theater and put the camera view on the big screen. :)

[Hey, I thought going from "wampa" to "jawa" was a demotion, but "jawa" to "gungan"?!]

Eldritch
02-14-2003, 06:20 PM
I like the "looking down into the arena" idea. I think that could work.

Wedge, what's the code for implementing distancecull values? I've never messed around with it myself.

Leslie Judge
02-15-2003, 08:24 AM
There is a default value for distancecull, but I don't know what it is. Anyway, you can specify it in game units. So you only need to know what is the longest distance in your map, and set it a little bigger. :)

Shadriss
02-15-2003, 09:43 AM
I'mnot going to mess with Camera portals... If I can't do the skyshader version of this, I'll just put something else on the inside glass. Remember - this is just one area of a bunch... I dont want to get too fancy here and not be able to make another cool idea later. And really... I dont think looking at the battle with a CAMERA would be that good... would defeat the purpose of the area, to my mind.

I'll proboly just put the IMAGES from the skyshader on the inside... *shrug* Won't look as pretty, but it WILL produce the effect I want. A simulated out-door enviroment.

Eldritch
02-15-2003, 10:46 AM
That's your call, Shad... but the sky textures when not applied as the sky shader don't light properly and look pretty fake. Didn't Leslie have an idea about using fog instead?

In other news, I've finished the layout of the control room for The Reactor. I still have to light and do a couple other various things, but I should be finished with the whole thing tonight.

Here's the partially lit control room:
http://members.aol.com/firstborn1981/powerstation005.jpg

wedge2211
02-15-2003, 01:20 PM
I'll proboly just put the IMAGES from the skyshader on the inside... *shrug* Won't look as pretty, but it WILL produce the effect I want. A simulated out-door enviroment.

Try putting the skyshader images on the inside of a cylinder, maybe?

Shadriss
02-15-2003, 11:36 PM
OK, Status time.

I have the arena fullylaid out nowe, ,and partly textured. ANother two days, I think, to get it all done. My solution for the wall/glass area was to make them one-way glass (as expected) and then make it appear as part of a wall from the inside. The cieling area will still be a skyshader.

Aru-Wen says that he'll have the Power Center as soon as he finishes the control room lighting. Essentially, it's done. He's already got some firm plans for the Museum, which is gonna mke it an ART museum instead of the Political History one we had originaly envisioned. We just couldn't get the char models converted over, and theother idea we had would be too complex for this map. For it's own SEPERATE map, maybe... but not as a part of this one.

Still no word from Wes on the spaceport, and Fuzzy continues to work on the General Store.

Eldritch
02-16-2003, 12:39 AM
Small addendum to Shadriss' post : I have actually finished the Reactor, and will be moving along to the Museum. All I've got to figure out now is which paintings to use... :)

Shadriss
02-16-2003, 09:00 PM
It's done. Didn't take too long, as I had an EXCELLENT basis to work from. (THanks Fuzzy... it helped a GREAT deal!) Screenshots and such are up on the site.

Still waiting for Aru to get on-line and send me the Power Center so I can get screenies ofthat up as well... Hopefully he'll be able to send it tommorrow.

Next project for myself is the Library, which will be faintly EP2 "Jedi Archive"-ish in design. Go figure...

Also, the Museum, as I mentioned before was changed to an Art Museum... it's new name : Sir Robin's Museum of the Fine Arts. (He was the ONLY knight who had his minstrel with him, after all...)

THat's it for now - enjoy the new shots.

Shadriss
02-18-2003, 11:09 AM
Chalk up another completed area. The Library is now complete, and screenshots are now avaliable on the site. Oncec again, for those who are too lazy to scroll around in the thread, the address is http://ramapping.moonfruit.com

Still havent gotten the Power Center from Aru-Wen, but when I have, I'll get screenshots up, along with his designer's notes and what not. (Hint hint, Aru!)

Not sure what's going on with Wes and the spaceport... I haven't gotten a report on that for almost two weeks. If I dont get any progress soon, I may take over that section myself to get it done. As we are now over half done with this thing, I'm trying to keep the momentum going.

Wes Marrakesh
02-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Hey! I've been in Arizona or swamped with school the past week and a half, so lay off ;)

I'll try to do some more work but I'm not sure if I like the way it's coming out.

EDIT: Except for the lobby, I don't, and that's why I passed it to Aru-Wen.

Shadriss
02-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, I have the SPaceport in hand now, and should begin mapping it soon. Wes has his own projects to see to, so he'll not be with us on this one, I guess.

I got the Power Center from Aru-wen, and as soon as it's done compiling, I'll get some screenshots and update the site. He's moving on to the Museum now, and has plans for one section to have old renisance art, including a vaulted cieling textured with the Sistene Chapel artwork. :)

No more news as yet... keep posted (so to speak)

Wes Marrakesh
02-20-2003, 04:56 PM
Well, I have the SPaceport in hand now, and should begin mapping it soon. Wes has his own projects to see to, so he'll not be with us on this one, I guess.

Whoah there! Who said I don't want to beta test? :D

And just in case you didn't guess, I do

Code
02-20-2003, 05:09 PM
are u guys using area portals, detailed brush, hints, and vis friendly mapping ?

im asking this because most of map labled RPG
have horible fps, if not unplayable

plz keep in mind the vis :)

Eldritch
02-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Code
are u guys using area portals, detailed brush, hints, and vis friendly mapping ?

im asking this because most of map labled RPG
have horible fps, if not unplayable

plz keep in mind the vis :)

Of course. We're not some hicks that just stepped off the bus in the big city.

Most RPG maps (no offense to any of the creators of them) have sucked. Royally. I don't think anyone on this project would want yet another craptastic RPG map, so we're constructing it as we would any other map - professionally.

If we do our job correctly, this map should be fun to play for the non-RPers as well. There'll be lots of interesting stuff to look at.

Code
02-20-2003, 05:55 PM
yay,

<--- seen to much huge skybox areas lol

Shadriss
02-20-2003, 06:04 PM
THe individual areas all have great FPS to this point - the only true worry I have for FPS is when we connect them all together.

Since it's been brought up, I've got two ideas on this.

Option A : The Ancient (And Ugly) Huge Skybox Area Method. It's a FPS hog. It's a Compile nightmare. I's been done MANY times before.

Option B : I'm thinking I may want to make this a "underground" City (IE the London Underground). THis would allow me to connect it all using passages (still good sized of course) which would allow me to control FPS to a much greater degree. Obviously, it would preclude the need for a skybox (good thing) and there would aslo obviously be some larger areas (plazas) where it has an open air FEEL.

You can tell MY preferance, but the map, like most, is for the players. Nows the time to think it out and get back to me... we aren't TOO far from getting to that point.

Screenshots will be up for the Power Center in the next hour or so... the compile for the Center was a long one (I think I use WAY to many good options...) but it's done. Enjoy!

Eldritch
02-20-2003, 06:28 PM
I say that we make it mostly underground, but perhaps with a 'skylight' of some kind (perhaps in that courtyard area or the hangar, Shad?).

Otherwise it'd be a real pain to light realistically, IMO.

Wes Marrakesh
02-20-2003, 06:53 PM
I like that idea, Aru :D

EDIT: Code, I'm assuming you're the one doing the RPG mod?

Shadriss
02-20-2003, 09:48 PM
OK, small hitch.

THe Power Center isn't compiling correctly for me. At least, that's what I'm ASSUMING is going on. I upgrgaded to GTK1.2.12 (just released) just prior to compiling it, so I'm gonn downgrade and try it again.

THe only thing I can see the problem being is a string of about 50 or so "Longest Curve : xxx xxx" merssages during the BSP portion of the compile. I've never seen that before, and neither has anyone I've talked to. ANyone with information on that one, get with me.

So, obviously, screenshots will be slightly delayed.

Aru - We'll go with that idea... both the plazas and the Spacecport will have a skybox... I think I'll just use my trusty Naboo skybox... it's got pretty clouds. :)

Any against?

Eldritch
02-20-2003, 10:03 PM
Nah, I'm all for the Naboo skybox.

I had to uninstall all versions of GtK because 1.2.12 wouldn't open, :mad: then reinstall and update to 1.2.11.

It compiled fine for me with 1.2.11, Shad. I'm going back to that, because it appears they didn't change that much between 1.2.11 and 1.2.12 anyway. I've never even heard about that error, but with as many problems as I've had with 1.2.12 today, I'd say it's the software and not my fault.

Hey, it's a good excuse. ;)

Wes Marrakesh
02-20-2003, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the warning not to spend 20 + minutes getting that program :D

Shadriss
02-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Well, I got it working. In addition to downgrading, I also got rid of a target_speaker and replaced two lights that Aru apparently MEANT to be spotlights, but didn't have targets. *shrug* Only two minor glitches in the map, as he sent it. Great job. (The second minor glitch was inside the reactor, Aru - one of the power flows is going the wrong way! :) )

The screenshots are up, ,as well as Aru's brief notes on the area. Enjoy the shots - this area was VERY well done... Makes me want Hogwart's even more (shameless plug fora friend alert!)

Ronin_Medjai
02-21-2003, 04:21 AM
you people in my opinion :mad: ........... OWN! lol /me thinks ur the greatest and cant wait for your l337 map to be released I check ur rammaping.moonfruit site daily and me and my RPG club are eagerly awaiting the release havent checked the library shots yet but im hoping for a part where a book is puleld ad a secret revolving door thing happens hehe secret passage.....speaking of which we need secret areas like Xia 2 had some more secret areas (even tho the lighting and texturing hurt my eyes still awaiting mandarias update on that to see if he fixed it) /me also cant wait for CODEs rpg mod

Shadriss
02-21-2003, 06:00 AM
You;'re gonna be slightly disappointed, Medjai. The library (and the other areas too, for that matter, are exactly as shown. No secret areas. And, at least for now, I dont see any being added either. To be honest, I've never seen the point of it. If it were an SP level, then sure. But not an MP level... the focus here is on the actual RP, not on "how can I get through here, and how many secret areas can I find?" And that's just the logical side.

From the mapper side, it is a right royal pain. As detailed as these areas are, the compile is going to take a long while (the power center, by itself, takes about 15 mins, and the others are a wee bit less) so adding in secret areas would not only lengthen the final compile by that much more, but it would also add more time to the actual construction of the map. And, being who we are (perfectionists! ARGH!) we'd have to make those "secret" areas make sence and look good. Which means a LOT of time that, really, we shouldn't have to use up.

There are a few other reasons why I dont plan to put any in (the func_brush limit comes to mind) but those suffice for now.

Thanks for the input, though. Suggestions are always welcome, unfortunately this one was talked about early on by myself and the other mappers, and this was an area we all pretty much agreed on.

Eldritch
02-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Well, I got it working. In addition to downgrading, I also got rid of a target_speaker and replaced two lights that Aru apparently MEANT to be spotlights, but didn't have targets. *shrug* Only two minor glitches in the map, as he sent it. Great job. (The second minor glitch was inside the reactor, Aru - one of the power flows is going the wrong way! :) )

:eek: Well, can't be perfect, can I? As for the power flow misdirection - I KNEW I forgot to change something before I sent it. That was it, apparently. ;)

The screenshots are up, ,as well as Aru's brief notes on the area. Enjoy the shots - this area was VERY well done... Makes me want Hogwart's even more (shameless plug fora friend alert!)
Thanks for the shameless plug. :D Glad you like the area.

From the mapper side, it is a right royal pain. As detailed as these areas are, the compile is going to take a long while (the power center, by itself, takes about 15 mins, and the others are a wee bit less) so adding in secret areas would not only lengthen the final compile by that much more, but it would also add more time to the actual construction of the map.
:eyeraise: 15 minutes for the power center? Which compile option are you using? Only took like 2 minutes on mine, but you may be using some super-duper ultra good looking final compile option. BTW, I like the shots you took of the Power Center for the site. :D

wedge2211
02-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Woo! Very nice area, Aru...Why not release a duel_CommenorReactor? I'm definately going to have to download this despite not being an RPG player. Keep it up!

PS, I'd love to see you guys work on some SP maps. Deception looked really promising. And hey, two/three/five minds are better than one, right?

Shadriss
02-21-2003, 01:25 PM
I'm almost hurt, Wedge! Downloading it just to see the reactor... that could hurt a man's feelings! :)

I used a couple of option on the compile, Aru, but the one I suspect made it so long is the "patchshadows" option. As there are a GREAT number of curves in the main area, it would have had a LOT more lighting to figure out. *shrug* Best idea I have. I did it with the best BSP I had... I do that for all the sections so that we can see what it will really look like in game... and to give me an idea of overall compile time.

Pnut_Man
02-21-2003, 05:13 PM
The screenshots are awesome! I keep on telling myself that i'll always want to roleplay here!

Btw, I wondering if the "lights out" idea is still being considered. IT would be so sweet to knock out the power ;) Nice ole simple acts of harmless terrorism...

Shadriss
02-21-2003, 06:04 PM
I dont have a straight answer for you right now, Pnut. It's there in the back of our heads, but until we get the whole map put together, I just cant answer that. I like the idea myself, but there is one MAJOR thing I have to think about if I do it...

Do you realize how many LIGHTS I'd have to hook up to that ONE switch???

And, now that Ithink about it, there is one other problem... that would make every light inthe map dynamic - and, as it stands right now, Q3Map2 doesnt compile dynamic lights correctly. And there's no WAY I'm gonna compile this thing with SOFMAP2.

So, if support is added, I'll consider it... but I'm not thinking, at this point, ,that it's likely.

Eldritch
02-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Woo! Very nice area, Aru...Why not release a duel_CommenorReactor? I'm definately going to have to download this despite not being an RPG player. Keep it up!

PS, I'd love to see you guys work on some SP maps. Deception looked really promising. And hey, two/three/five minds are better than one, right?
If I was to release it, I'd ask Shad first (it's his project, after all - I'm just helping). I'd also want to expand it just a tiny bit. There's not much room to duel right now.

I'd like to work on some SP maps as well, but SP maps are on the bottom of my to-do list, what with Hogwarts and Commenor (and another project which I have not released any details on as of yet) on the front burners. When Hogwarts is done then I'll consider new projects.

I used a couple of option on the compile, Aru, but the one I suspect made it so long is the "patchshadows" option. As there are a GREAT number of curves in the main area, it would have had a LOT more lighting to figure out. *shrug* Best idea I have. I did it with the best BSP I had... I do that for all the sections so that we can see what it will really look like in game... and to give me an idea of overall compile time.
Yeah, the patchshadows is probably what caused it. You know how it is with me and those curves - I just can't resist. ;)
Good idea, running it with the best compile.

I had an idea about the "lights out" idea that doesn't involve dynamic lights. What about using func_usables with an on/off type setup to kill all the neon signs and light emitting shaders?

Well, ALL of them would be too much work, but you could do a few of the more noticeable ones. You could also link it to some kind of "power failure" type noise. Just a thought.

Leslie Judge
02-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Hmm...

You know guys I'm curious. Do you know how to make dynamic lighting in MP? I made a test map, compiled with sof2map, and it works fine in SP, but no start_off, no turning on/off, no light styles in MP...

My only idea is to make dynamic lights with effects. I haven't tried yet, but it has to work. What's good, is that they doesn't increase compile time, what's bad is many of them will probably decrese FPS.

Shadriss
02-22-2003, 10:07 AM
DYnamic lights DO work in MP... I've seen them used. However, they DONT work with q3map2 compiles... and I REFUSE to use SOFmap2 on this... aside from the injustice it would do the map, it would also take quite a bit longer.

wedge2211
02-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Good call, Shadriss.

Shadriss
02-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Just a quick note on progress...

The port is about 95% alid out and a good portion of it is textured. Hopefully (if the mood is upon me) I'll get it all wrapped up and finished in the next couple of days.

Just to let you all know - it's been a slow couple of days. But the work continues...

Shadriss
02-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Wow. Not many posts from ANYONE recently... I hope this isnt an indication of slackening interest...

THe Port is fully laid out and textured. Lighting is about done, and, barring unforeseen problems, will be done tonight. Screenshots and such will, as always, be up as soon as they are ready.

Aru-Wen - What's the word on the Museum?

Pnut_Man
02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
I've been looking forward to the spaceport for a long time, i'm interested in how you're gonna pull it off ;)

Eldritch
02-25-2003, 08:39 PM
Aru-Wen - What's the word on the Museum?

Wednesday is my major mapping day, and I hope to get a sizeable chunk of it done tomorrow. All the new textures (and paintings) are set to go, so that won't hold anything up. Should have a couple preliminary shots tomorrow.

Shadriss
02-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
I've been looking forward to the spaceport for a long time, i'm interested in how you're gonna pull it off ;)

Wonder no longer, Pnut - screenies are up, and the Port is done. Enjoy!

As for you Aru, got ya, and good mapping! I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've pulled otgether.

Trying to decide which area to do next, the Temple or the Nightclub...

Eldritch
02-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Spaceport looks good! Kudos to Wes and Shad for some nice looking work. I especially like the lobby and the floor pattern in the hallway. :)

BTW Shad - if we hit the func brush limit, it'll be because of you - my two func brushes won't break the bank. ;)

I'd like to see the Nightclub done next, so long as it does not include a disco floor/ball, as has been seen in some other maps. *shudders*

Shadriss
02-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Actually, I'm having second thoughts about including either of those two areas.

THe nightclub, would, in essence, be a second bar. What would be the point? All it would add to your basic bar is a dance floor, which would just be a big open area. So why bother?

THe Temple is a bit more straightforward... exceept that we haveno idea what religeon, if any, they have in the SW universe. Yes, the Jedi have been referred to in that fashion, but, given the maps location and time frame (Commenor, a Core World, shortly after the fall of the Empire) Having A Jedi Temple would make no logical sence.

ANy ideas here?

Eldritch
02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
Perhaps just make it into some kind of meditation chamber? Just a place to kick back and relax - fountains, marble, comfy chairs, that type of thing.

Pnut_Man
02-26-2003, 07:04 AM
EXCELLENT job with the spaceport! Everything came out like I had envisioned :D Throw a couple of switches in that place that do stuff and the whole thing will come alive :)

Shadriss
02-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Switches tha do something eh?
Hmmmm.
Well... there are a few that make platforms operate... does that count? I tried to thing of something to do there, but nothing came up that seemed like a good idea.

Still no idea which area I'm gonna work next... Maybe inspiration is on vacation...

Eldritch
02-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Behold the dark and mysterious museum with hardly any light! Repent, all ye sinners, thy end is near!

Ok, seriously, the picture is dark, but it's really only there to give an idea on the architecture. Better pics tomorrow, if you're lucky! ;)

http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum01.txt

wedge2211
02-26-2003, 11:42 PM
Funny how the Museum architects on Commenor are familiar with Roman styles...

[/devil's advocate]

Eldritch
02-26-2003, 11:57 PM
It's actually Greek. The Romans just stole it. And besides, it's an old elegant art museum, and has an equally old elegant style. :D

Shadriss
03-01-2003, 09:59 AM
Elegance is elegance, Wedge. WHo's to say that, in a Galaxy Far Far Away, there is not a close congruity of ancient architectural styles? There would almost have to be, no? And some areas lend themselves to particualar types more than others.

In other map news, Fuzzy has turned over the General Store to me, and I'll be getting it polished and finished in the next couple of days... (Assuming I dont spend ALL my time playing MOO3 now that it's finally out...) Also, in case I forgot to mention it earlier, the nightclub and temple both have been scrapped, meaning that the only two internal areas left are the General Store and the the Museum.

Good thing I have an idea of how I want to make the 'street' areas. Some people may be upset that I wont be doing full exterior that they can jump on, but an open air map is going to absolutely murder framerate. So, it's going to be mostly closed in. SOme bits of sky are going to be visible most everywhere, but you wont be able to jump on buildings for a view of the skyline.

So tough! :)

Pnut_Man
03-01-2003, 12:13 PM
Give Commenor a "midnight mood", that's the reason City of Xia did so well...

Wes Marrakesh
03-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Nice looking architecture there, Aru.

Actually, the midnight feel is probably Xia's only saving grace (a small one at that)

lol:D

Shadriss
03-01-2003, 03:50 PM
If we want that night feel, I'll need either a new skybox for it, or I'll have to use one of the base skyboxes... and only the "stars" or the "space" one could even come close to that.

S/C/C? (Suggestions/Comments/Complaints)

Shadriss
03-01-2003, 08:25 PM
Busted out the General Store today... all that now remains before piecing it all together is the Museum... BUT NO RUSH ARU-WEN! :)

Eldritch
03-01-2003, 08:38 PM
Really putting the pressure on, aren't you Shad? ;)
Well, here's a little news update. The main area is finished. The only thing left to do is each of the 2 wings of the museum. Once I've done one wing, I can just mirror it and change the paintings - one side is "old" art, with the Sistine Chapel ceiling (which looks good in-game, I must say) and the other wing is dedicated to more modern and futuristic looking art. I should finish up tonight if I'm lucky, and then begin finalizing things like lighting and textures.

Oh, if you want a nighttime skybox, I've got a few that I tested out with Hogwarts that might do the trick. Don't use the 'stars' one though, I really hate that one.

BTW, for those who care, I did the review for City of Xia II : Xia Reloaded over at Planet IRG (http://www.planetirg.net), and I have to say that it didn't receive very high marks. This was due mostly to the lighting, which was almost at the fullbright level (the opposite of the first Xia map, if I'm correct).

Shadriss
03-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Aru-Wen
Really putting the pressure on, aren't you Shad? ;)

Would I do THAT? :)

Well, here's a little news update. The main area is finished. The only thing left to do is each of the 2 wings of the museum. Once I've done one wing, I can just mirror it and change the paintings - one side is "old" art, with the Sistine Chapel ceiling (which looks good in-game, I must say) and the other wing is dedicated to more modern and futuristic looking art. I should finish up tonight if I'm lucky, and then begin finalizing things like lighting and textures.

Oh, if you want a nighttime skybox, I've got a few that I tested out with Hogwarts that might do the trick. Don't use the 'stars' one though, I really hate that one.

Send them over - I'm on MSN right now, Aru.

Eldritch
03-01-2003, 11:20 PM
Missed you on MSN, Shad. Should I send the skyboxes to the email address you use for MSN? Or should I wait until I see you to send them?

Anyway, here's some shots of the unfinished "old art" wing. Let me know what you think. The lighting isn't finalized, obviously. ;)

http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum02.txt
http://jedi_kotp.tripod.com/museum03.txt

Wes Marrakesh
03-02-2003, 12:02 AM
Did you put my pic in, Aru? :D

I could get more, too...

Blue_Lightsaber
03-02-2003, 03:13 PM
Shadriss are the Streets the part that connects everything?

Just curious

Eldritch
03-02-2003, 09:03 PM
*pretends to be Shadriss*

The streets connect everything.

*stops pretending*

Shadriss
03-02-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Blue_Lightsaber
Shadriss are the Streets the part that connects everything?

Actually, the streets dont connect a blessed thing. THey are there purely for show. I would never demean my players by making them WALK between the locations, oh NO. They have to focus and use the 90% of thier brain they dont normally use and TELEPORT themselves around!

:vadar: Somebody shoot him... I'm too tired to Force Choke him.
:bdroid2: *BANG BANG*

Aru, I'm on MSN NOW! NOW I TELL YOU!

Blue_Lightsaber
03-02-2003, 10:05 PM
Boy do I want this map to come out :)

I LOVE RPG MAPS

Shadriss
03-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Now we hit the longest wait of the map.

Aside from waiting on the Museum (Aru assures me it'll be ready on Wednesday) We are now gearing up to piecec it all together... and that will take some time. Aside from the monster complile times I am about to amass, There are a few technical sides I have to insure get straightened out.

After a small discussion with Fuzzy, we have decided against an Open Beta for this map. Instead, once it's done, we'll be releasing it to RA only for a week or so, then ironing out the bugs from there.

After all - They are who this map was designed for. :)

In addition to the RPG version of this map, I'm also planning a seperate FFA version. They will be released at the same time.

I have made a couple of changes to the maps, however :

A) The skybox on the port has changed to a night skyshader, courtesy of Aru-Wen. (THanks again...)
B) I took out those uber-ugly chairs and sofas in the Hotel area, replaceed them with better looking curvey ones, and changed the texture on them to something a tad bit darker.

No screenshots for either of these, as the rest of the level hasn't really changed. ANd it's a pain to handle replacement screenshots.

I'll be starting construction of the streets tommorrow latest, and I will get the conceptual designs up for viewing by Thursday, I hope.

Eldritch
03-04-2003, 02:21 PM
[Monster Truck Rally Announcer voice]
Wednesday! WEDNESDAY! WEDNESDAY! The Museum of Fine arts should be ready! READY! READY!
[/Monster Truck Rally Announcer voice]

Ok, you get the idea. :p

Couple things. First, i'm glad to see that you're using the skybox, Shad. This way I contribute more than just 2 small sections :D.

Second, even though there's no OPEN beta, do *I* get sent a copy of the map during RA testing week? I'd like to remind you at this juncture that I worked on it as well. ;)
Can't wait to see the finished product myself.

wedge2211
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
In addition to the RPG version of this map, I'm also planning a seperate FFA version. They will be released at the same time.

Will the layouts be any differnet, or will the only differences be bot routing/powerup placement/spawn points?

Shadriss
03-04-2003, 06:49 PM
Will the layouts be any differnet, or will the only differences be bot routing/powerup placement/spawn points?

The map iteself will not change. Just the item locations. For an RPG, it makes sence to have to go to once place to buy weapons. For an FFA, that would make for a "One man holding the Fort" situation. Ugly, but essentially dumb.

ANd Yes, ARu, You WILL get a copy of the Beta... I thought that went without saying...

Eldritch
03-04-2003, 09:23 PM
ANd Yes, ARu, You WILL get a copy of the Beta... I thought that went without saying...

I was just joking around, Shad. Thought that was apparent after my Monster Truck voice, but it's so difficult to convey tone of voice with only text. :D

Shadriss
03-05-2003, 08:40 PM
Tonight, while waiting on Aru-Wen to finish the Museum, I made the exterior signs for the map. THey are now up and displayed on the page, each in it's designated area. Enjoy! :)

Eldritch
03-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Due to circumstances beyond my control (namely, a truckload of schoolwork) I am unable to finish the museum tonight. I will hopefully wrap it up tomorrow, barring any abnormalities in my schedule.

The signs look good, BTW.

Shadriss
03-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Well, the Museum was further delayed tonight. He sent me a unfinished version, and one item leaped to mind on it right off. It was about three times the scale of the rest of the map. Aru-Wen blames it on a night of heavy drinking. I'd buy that! :)

So, he's still working. However, I have begun the streets, and have completed a good deal of them. The Clinic, Bar,and Arena are all connected. No texturing on the streets yet, as I plan to take care of that once it's ALL connected.

I'll tell you guys one thing though... this place is HUGE. A lot bigger than I thought it was going to be. Compile times are gonna fly through the roof... at least it'll be worth it!

More updates as they come up. :)

Shadriss
03-08-2003, 06:15 PM
I find myself growing concerned...

I've put in everything but the General Store, Port, and the as-yet unfinished Museum. And the brush count has skyrocketed up to just over 9700 brushes. I dont KNOW of any upper limit to a brush count, but that doesnt mean that there isn't one. As I recall, Dad*Mad's revolutionary "SNow" map used upwards of 15 grand, but I'm not certain of that.

In the event that this project is, indeed, a trifle too large for the engine, I'm asking all you loyal followers of this thread to make suggestions for which area/areas will, IF NEED BE, be removed from the map.

THis is not to say I PLAN to remove area... but I want my bases covered. This map is by far the largest I've done... So I'm not sure how it's going to pan out.

Just a heads up, fellas. PLEASE post on this issue... I dont want to be yelled at later for unilateral action! :)

Edit : Unused sections, should there be any, will be released seperately as possible duel maps. If the are supports it, of course.

Pnut_Man
03-08-2003, 06:22 PM
If it ever happens that the (piece of crap) jk2 engine can't handle the full extent of the map, then I propose we ditch The Clinic.

No hard feelings toward that section of the map...heh...

Shadriss
03-08-2003, 07:28 PM
Well, I've taken the map as far as I can for now... I eagerly await the Museum... both for screenshots of it and so I can piece it in to the rest of the map. I took a screenshot of the map as it is right now and put it on the site.

My own preferances for area elimination would be, in order:

The Library (trully pointless... and, really, it isn't THAT good! :) )
The Museum (Sorry Aru, but that section, no matter HOW good, is pure eye candy.)
And, if we're REALLY strapped, I'll ditch the Clinic or the Hotel. (Both are high-brush areas)

Eldritch
03-09-2003, 01:20 AM
Just for future reference, Shad... the brush limit for the map is something like 65-70,000, so you're in no danger of pushing the brush limit even if it's 10,000 with the Museum.

However, since high brush counts mean long compiles, I suggest an alternative to ditching areas. Here's my ideas:

A - Every section of the map goes in for the RPG version of the map (since action isn't the main focus here, a lower fps due to the size isn't as much of an issue); for the FFA version, we make some necessary cuts of sections without use (Museum, Clinic, etc)

B - Every section of the map goes in for the RPG, just like in my first idea, but no FFA version of the map is created. If there's a request for it, perhaps we can do a duel map pack or something.

I think A is the best choice but I have no problem with B.

wedge2211
03-09-2003, 02:09 AM
*roots for FFA version*

A! A! A!

Ronin_Medjai
03-09-2003, 03:51 AM
I personally wouldnt want to see any of it go,but if something must I vote for the museum as it just wouldnt work for every kind of rpg I could use every other location in my rpgs.

Eldritch
03-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Hey Shad, why on the site does it say (in the Commenor Locations section) that the Reactor is 70% complete and the Museum is finished and connected? Do you know something I don't? ;)

Shadriss
03-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Yes, indeed I know something you dont - you're eyes are slightly skewed. I just chcked it, ,and it looks fine to me. :)

Shadriss
03-09-2003, 09:25 AM
I've been thinking about your options, Aru, and I think you've got the right idea. I'll go with option A for now (All for you Wedge! :) )and only go to B if I really run out of steam.

I've also been thinking I've been going about doing the streets all wrong. Normally, I've been laying out EVERYthing, connecting up EVERYthing, THEN texturing areas.

This approach isn't going to work with this map... it's sheer size is beginning to bog down my system. GTK plods along on movement pretty badly, so texturing it AFTER it's all laid out is not gonna work.

SO!

I'll be restarting the street areas. I'm going to get them fully laid out, textured, and ready BEFORE I start adding in the other locations. That way, ,all I'll have to do is get doors working (and textured), place items, and compile. As an added benefit, You'll all get those screenshots of the streets you have all, no doubt, been wishing to see.

I'll keep everyone posted on how it's going, naturally.

Oh, for reality's sake - does anyone know of a speeder or other such vehicle that is in the md3 format? I'll use a prefab if I have to but I'd prefer md3.

wedge2211
03-09-2003, 11:50 AM
*and there was much rejoicing*

"...yaaaaaaaaaaaay..."

You could always turn texture detail down to speed things up in Gtk.

Some of the pcgamemods files are md3's, despite being labelled "prefabs," for example, http://www.pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=e2c0be24560d78c5e599c2a9c9d0bbd2 appears to be a model.

Hellfire Jedi
03-09-2003, 12:00 PM
I found a TYPE of speeder...looks like the sh!t so I figured you could use it.
http://pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=33e8075e9970de0cfea955afd4644bb2

Shadriss
03-09-2003, 08:38 PM
OK. Good news, Bad news time.

Good News. THe streets are completely laid out and textured.

Bad News - It doesnt work in game. Error is : NULL Poly-shader

I've heard of that being a problem in SP, but not in MP... any thoughts?

Eldritch
03-09-2003, 09:59 PM
Hmm... I'm not familiar with that error, Shad. Is it what it sounds like?

Shadriss
03-09-2003, 11:12 PM
OK, I got it all figured out. I's always been under the impresion that that error happened because you were using to many shader FILES. THis, ,apparently, was incorrect. It's how many surfaces a shader is applied TOO that causes this.

SO, thats fixed.

In other news, the Museum has been dropped. Aru just got fed up with it, thought what work he'd done so far is rather shoddy, and, after discussion, we decided to drop it like a ton of bricks.

Which means I now have all the areas, and I am now making the final connections prior to Beta.

COntrary to a previous post, the Beta will NOT be done by RA. THere was a small issue there, so I'll be needing testers. Volunteers will be nice. :)

Ronin_Medjai
03-10-2003, 04:12 AM
me plz plz plz plz plz plz if so Ill let you in on my super secret project(s) (Im making two sorta you seem like you might like them...er wait I just remeberd 3 projects!) I would love to beta map my email is lordsod521@hotmail.com let me know there if i got accepted or on my Roleplaying Clubs Forums I run RPI (http://www.roleplayersinc.com/)

Blue_Lightsaber
03-10-2003, 04:04 PM
PLEASE PLEASE IVE BEEN FOLLOWING THIS MAP FROM BEGINING I'D LOVE TO TEST YOUR MAP

*snip* !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok got a little excited there lol, but can I please test the map?

FuzzyCrimmy
03-10-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey There,

I dunno why I didn't post in here sooner :rolleyes: maybe it is because Im always talking on MSN with Shadriss :p Anyways, just to add, I left RA due to some Real Life Issues and Shadriss mentioned that since this map wasnt contracted with them it would follow me. His call. Not to worry though, either way it will be a super cool map.

Have a nice day.

wedge2211
03-11-2003, 03:52 PM
I put some comments for you up on the BETA RPG_Commenor thread at pcgamemods.com.

Shadriss
03-11-2003, 06:09 PM
I saw that and answered it already. And, for those who are confused, I have a partiually complete BETA up on PCGameMods... Check it out! :)

FuzzyCrimmy
03-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Looks really good shadriss :D But do landspeeders really need the yellow dotted lines on the road :p

Shadriss
03-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by FuzzyCrimmy
Looks really good shadriss :D But do landspeeders really need the yellow dotted lines on the road :p

SO long as there is traffic, there will be bad drivers.
So long as there are bad drivers, ,there will be ways to keep people from hitting other people. Hence, we have lines. SO there. :p

Eldritch
03-11-2003, 09:23 PM
Just a thought, Shad. Have you considered adding something like tunnels (that could have clip placed over them to prevent access) or a road that curves off out of sight to increase the feeling of the size of the city? With the roads closed off like that, how could there even be "cars" (aka landspeeders) in that area?
Wouldn't take much time to do it.

Shadriss
03-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Already thought of, and it WILL be implemented... just as soon as I figure out which end of the three is going to be open. This is only one small little area, naturally... I'm thinking almost like a "city inside the alley" idea. I think I already know which one it's gonna be, be I still need to get it all put in the map, so...

Eldritch
03-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Put it at the long end of the T-section. Please excuse the bad Ascii drawing here.

--------------------
. |
. |
. |
. |
. |
. |
Put the tunnel/curved thing at this end.

Hope it shows up! :D

Shadriss
03-11-2003, 09:42 PM
Why not just get on MSN so we can talk it out? You DO remember how to get on MSN, right?

wedge2211
03-11-2003, 10:00 PM
With the roads closed off like that, how could there even be "cars" (aka landspeeders) in that area?
Wouldn't take much time to do it.

Now, do you mean stationary car models, or cars that whiz around on the streets? (OTS cargo ship style :))

Shadriss
03-11-2003, 10:57 PM
If I actually put any in (so far, ,only the swoop md3 fits the scale that I've found) they'd be stationary. No point in making this map any more complex that it already is.

Added the bar into the mix tonight (on the second floor, ,no less) and it's still looking very good. I also fixed the problem in the arena where you could see the streets through the skybox of the arena. And a few other small things.

Tommorrow, the Library should go in, and, If I have the time, the Hotel as well, and that would close out that branch of the road system.

TTFN, guys.

Shadriss
03-13-2003, 10:26 PM
It's all in. It's all connected. (It's STILL compiling! :D)

I've done one or two test compiles, and there may be a problem with releasing it as an FFA - FPS. I'm not sure why (Looking into it) but the FPS went through the floor on the last compile. I've added in the areaportals (finally) and that should help. My other theory is that the music file is taking up too much memory. If that prooves to be the case, it's going away. Which is too bad, since Aru-Wen chose a very nice piece from "Fifth Element".

More news tommorrow... the full BETA should be avaliable soon... maybe even Saturday, thougth PCGameMods.

Shadriss
03-13-2003, 10:59 PM
Well, ,I know what the problem is now. I dont know WHY theres a problem, but at least I know what it is.

Even with areaportals in the map, the engine is drawing EVERYTHING in the map at once. No WONDER the FPS went through the floor.

Anyone with any ideas, now's the time.

Leslie Judge
03-14-2003, 04:34 AM
If I were you I would try to load the map in SP and see if the whole map is drawn. If it is, then something about the compile. If not, then something about the MP engine.

Eldritch
03-14-2003, 08:28 AM
Perhaps you might consider adding hint brushes into the mix to improve the FPS, Shad? If you haven't already, that is.

Shadriss
03-14-2003, 11:18 AM
When I said everything was being drawn, that was because I HAD gone into the SP side to take a look. EVERYTHING was being drawn. Makes very little sence. Why would the compile set it up like that?

As for hint brushes, if the AREAPORTALS arent working properly, why would hint brushes?

Leslie Judge
03-14-2003, 05:19 PM
True.

Hehh, I though that you just took a look with r_showtris on in MP, sorry.

I'm sure there are leaf nodes in the map which can't be seen from an other one directly because of structural brushes between them, so without areaportals one should be not drawn if you are standing in the other. That's why I think there is something more serious. However no idea what can be wrong if the whole VIS phase gone through.

Shadriss
03-14-2003, 06:47 PM
I would like to begin this post with the following statement :

I AM AN IDIOT!

That said, I will now explain why this is so.

Ok, this is a couple of problems. First, I had to shut down direct BSP monitoring, due to the fact that with a map this large, GTK and Q3Map2 kept loosing synch going into lighting. Since I did this, the compile process did NOT STOP when a leak was located.

Yes, this whole problem is because of a STUPID LEAK!

Now, I figured that out, I turned on the moniotring again so I could see that wonderful pointfile. It showed up... in an area that had NOTHING in it. Oh, there USED to be something there, but there wasnt now.

Or so I thought.

When I deleted that area, I forgot that I had lights FILTERED FROM VIEW! And as we all know, what you can't see, you can't delete. SO I had about 20 or so light entities out there, all alone in the void, just leaking over EVERYTHING. If a map leaks, ,it doesnt make a PRT file. If there is no PRT file, VIS cant do it's job.

And thus, oh mighty mappers, we see what a huge PAIN IN THE BUTT those teeny tiny leaks can be, and why one should always make sure all filters are off before deleting areas.

The current compile is underway, and baring any other STUPID mistake, I should be able to send this for BETA either tonight or tommorrow morning. So watch for it on PCGameMods soon!

And remember it IS a Beta - I'll want feedback here! Especially on weapons placement for the FFA version (this means YOU Wedge!).

wedge2211
03-14-2003, 09:33 PM
:D

Don't you just LOVE mapping?

Shadriss
03-14-2003, 10:12 PM
OK. The news at 10pm (EST).

THe map is in it's final BETA compile as we speak. As soon as it's done, I wrpa it all up nice and pretty, and send it to Sergio over at PCGameMods. WIth any luck, he'll have it up toot-sweet, and you can all begin to enjoy this beast of a map.

From the numerical side, this thing weighs in at just over 16 Mg of map, textures, and shaders. Not bad, really... DOTF was closer to 20. It used 11806 brushes, and more curves than you can shake a stick at. (If you couldnt tell that last from the screenshots, you are blind.)

I'm sure there are a few errors out there to be found and fixed, so I want feedback on that soon. FIND THEM! LET US ELIMINATE THE CANCER FROM AMONG US! *trails off...* Wait... this isnt a political rally....

Talk at you all later - and enjoy.

Shadriss
03-15-2003, 10:21 AM
It not up on PCGameMods yet, but it IS up on the Site.

www.ramapping.moonfruit.com

Enjoy, and be sure to post feedback here!

wedge2211
03-15-2003, 12:06 PM
Downloading now...the procrastination of my homework will commence shortly. :D

Blue_Lightsaber
03-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Here are some bugs that I discovered.

First, in the clinic, the windows on the bacta tanks are all shiny and look kinda like a rainbow effect.

Second, in the reactor, there is no floor. It's like the noclip effect.

Third, In the detention center, if you go to the prison chambers when the doors go up ( which has no sounds ) and look on the floor, you see some z fighting.

Fourth, alot of the doors in this map have no sound. I went to the hotel and the doors have no sound.

Fifth, in the general store weapons display, you can grab the weapons right through the glass, which is kinda unrealistic. But the spot where the health, thermal detonators, and binoculars is, is fine though.

Sixth, in the spaceport, in one of the elevators, ( I didn't try all the elevators so I dunno if it's just one or if it's more) in the elevator crack you see the noclip effect.

That's all for now, I'll look into it in more detail later.

wedge2211
03-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Okay, I ust finished giving it a thorough run-down. First thing I want to say is, I DID enjoy it. It's very well detailed, and I'm sure the layout is great for RPG-style games. Second thing I want to say is, every time I tried to take a screenshot, it crashed to the main menu and told me, "ERROR: Hunk_AllocTempMemory: failed on 3145736" so I have to describe the bugs I found in clunky words. I hope this doesn't sound overly critical, but here goes...

[list=1] The doors inside the hotel/detention center/armory/spaceport are silent.
The bench models in the arena and spaceport don't have clip brushes around them.
HOM in the glass on the sealed bacta tanks in the clinic.
The curves don't match up on the bookcase ends in the library, you can see through tem from the right angle.
The stairs in the library don't have clip brushes on them (to make the player ascend at a nice angle).
I couldn't get at the weapons in the armory. I thought the buttons on the desk might open those glass cylinders, but they didn't do anything.
Some textures aren't aligned in the elevators in the spaceport.
HOM under the reactor catwalks.
You can jump down from the reactor catwalks and then look up through the catwalks (the undersides of the walkways aren't textured).
The buttons underneath the schematics in the reactor control room are floating in space without support.
There isn't any sound made when I use a button. While this isn't a big problem, in some cases something happens after a delay from when I push the use key...so it would be nice to know that I have actually pressed something.
[/list=1]

Hope those can get resolved for the final version!

Pnut_Man
03-15-2003, 04:27 PM
I basically encountered the same problems that they reported.
I do have a question though: Did you guys manage to create a switch that would turn off the power of the city :D?

Leslie Judge
03-15-2003, 08:41 PM
I found one thing: at the spaceport the walls are textured with that hangardoor texture wich has two lights on it. It's OK, but if you take look at the windows where the waiting room is, the texture just not looks good as it shows up around the windows.

Shadriss
03-16-2003, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the list Wedge. I'll address a couple of those now, since they arent errors.

The bench models in the arena and spaceport don't have clip brushes around them.

This was intentional. Remember, this is for the RPG version. The SIT emote doesnt look right unless the player actually can be almost inside the model. So, no clip brush. For the FFA version, those probobly wont even be in there.

The stairs in the library don't have clip brushes on them (to make the player ascend at a nice angle).

They did until JUST before the Beta Compile. I got several "degenerate surface" warnings about those brushes (probobly how I made them) and I had to take them out. THey WILL be back in when it's finalized.

I couldn't get at the weapons in the armory. I thought the buttons on the desk might open those glass cylinders, but they didn't do anything.

Again, Intentional. In the OmniModRPGFull, you are able to actually buy weapons via CVARs. I built the level with that mod in mind, and so I didn't want people to just waltz in and GRAB a weapon they should be paying for. Again, in the FFA version, the weapons will be more spread out, and not blocked off like that.

As for some of the other errors, Sometimes they are there after a compile, sometimes they arent. I'm not sure why this is. That HOM under the catwalks for example - that SHOULD be a greenish fog. And you should suffer a falling death once you go beneath the catwalks. Hence, the other problem about HOM under the catwalks shouldn't even be a problem either. *shrug*

I'm looking into it all, in addition to some other changes. Again, thanks for the feedback thus far.

Edit : No, Pnut. We didn't incorperate that. Mostly because Q3Map2 (the version packed with GTK1.2.11 anyway) still doesnt support dynamic lighting. Maybe, ,sometime in the future, I'll do something sadistic like that.

Eldritch
03-16-2003, 09:52 AM
Just got around to playing it. I think it looks great, Shad. A couple of minor errors, but nothing you can't fix before the final.

If you want to send me the final map just so I can help you error check it, feel free. Sort of like "proofreading" an essay, no? ;)

As far as the Reactor floor goes, I think there's an issue with the trigger brush that causes the falling death interacting with the fog brush. I had the same problem when building it, and I had to play around, adjusting the distance between the two brushes before it got worked out.

Again, if you need me to help, you know where to find me.

Shadriss
03-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Aru - would you be overly heartbroken if we lost teh fog? It should be dark enough that it shouldnt cause a problem anyways.

Eldritch
03-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Not truly heartbroken, but without the fog it just looks a little 'blah' in my opinion.

Lose it if necessary, but make sure to keep my "screaming death" brush intact. :D

Wes Marrakesh
03-16-2003, 06:16 PM
Comments:

Many doors are soundless
Some curves don't line up
No falldeath in reactor
Reactor floor is HOM
Underside of catwalk is caulked

Questions:
Where'd you get that kickass music? :D

Leslie Judge
03-16-2003, 09:50 PM
:) That music is from The fifth element. When the girl escapes the lab and goes out to the city.

Shadriss
03-18-2003, 04:57 PM
OK, guys. I was on Duty last night, so I didnt get a chancec to get any work done then. BUT! Before I went to work on Monday morning, I did take all the feedback and work the problems. I'll take the one at a time.

Silent Doors
They all have sound now. I still plan to go through and give each area set a different set of door sounds, but for now they all use the generic soundset.

Clip Brushes for the Benches/Lights/md3s
As explained in an earlier post, most of this was intentional. The only md3's I gave clips to were md3s that I would not reasonably expect someuse to try to sit on. In the FFA Version, most of these md3's will be removed as distractions.

HOM Clinic Bacta Tanks Glass
THis is me being lazy and stupid. Originally, as you recall, all four tanks were supposed to be operational. I changed that to one, and turned the others back to normal brushes. And forgot to make them detail. :)

Bookcase Curves Misaligned (Library)
This was sheer stupidity on my part. I dont know HOW i thought those were well made to begin with. So I scrapped them and rebuilt them. THey work now. There is much rejoicing.

Clip Brushes for Library Stairs
Fixed. Again, t his was something that I changed at the last minute and forgot to put back in.

Weapons in the Armory
As I noted, this is a Beta of the RPG version of the map. I refer you to my previous post on this... I have however, altered it so that NONE of the weapons can be grabbed from the displays.

Spaceport Elevator Texture Issues
Button Sounds for Doors/Elevator Calls
I group those together because they were handled at the same time. I changed the trigger_multiple setup I was using to a Func_Button setup. It now makes sounds to let you know it's been pressed. In addition, those shafts have all been re-textured, as well as the elevator car itself. Not so "Crate-like" as Kal-El put it to me. :)

HOM in the Power Center
As you may have gathered from previous posts, this was supposed to be a fogged area. FOr whatever reason, the fog brush and the trigger_hurt were interefering with each other. THe fog has been removed, and the HOM is gone, the trigger_hurt works properly. Incidently, this also slightly improved FPS in there.

Catwalk Undersides not Textured
This shouldnt be an issue due to your imminant demise when you are looking at it, but I textured them anyway.

Power Center Controls Hovering
I never saw this. I checked it in my version of the Beta, and in subsequent compiles. *shrug* Well, as long as it's gone.

Spaceport Waiting Room-side Landing Area Texturing
Thanks to Leslie for pointing this out. The texture has been replaced on the wall only with the same one used on the lower side.

That takes care of the ones that were listed on THIS forum. Other issues noted from other forums :

End Cap in Arena Foyer hanging in Mid Air
Fixed. :)

End Cap for light in Clinic missing
Replaced. :)

HOM in the Far right Prison Cell, under the door
Cant believe I missed texturing that area, but it's been repaired.

The Vases Dont Have BOTTOMS!
Incidently, this was my favorite "Error". Man, Austin must have REALLY been hunting for these! Fixed. :)

In addition to all of that, I've also changed the lighting schemes a little, after a conversation with Kal-El. The Hotel lightinghas changed to a slightly yellow-ish light. However, , after looking at it in game, and seeing the way it turns the blue walls piss-green, I think this will probobly change back to white light. *shudder*

The bar lighting has changed. Most of the lighting is now reddish, and a couple of textures have changed to fit that. THe booth areas are still white-lit.

The Library is now more brightly lit, but I used a lavender light that brings out the browns and wood grains a bit more. It's still dark among the bookcases, and those may go back to white, but that has yet to be decided.

The Gallery area of the Arena has had it's lights changed to dark blue. THis makes a tremendous impact of the look of teh area, one I am VERY happy with. It will most DEFINATELY be staying.

The General store has had a change of lighting color to a light bluish tinge. THis also seems to work fairly well, and probobly wont change.

THat's the news at 4:45pm EST. I'll be releasing one final Beta version on the site in the next day or two. It's purpose is to find any remaining bugs, evaluate the new lighting, and to bring suggestions for FFA weapon/item placement.

TTFN!

Shadriss
03-18-2003, 07:24 PM
The Final Beta for the RPG version is now avaliable on the Map Site. Remember, I want evaluations of lighting more than anything. I've got the FFA/TFFA waepons placecments already in mind now.

The FFA/TFFA version should be released about two days after the RPG version, due to a few changes that I have to make between the two.

Enjoy!

Lil Killa
03-18-2003, 09:20 PM
1. The undersides of the deskes do not have textures on them or are calked or where u have patces u don't have them inverted.
2. The tops of the vertical lights in the entrance to the library are not caped.
3. the curves on the ends of the streets are not matching so u can see a "crack" in them.
4. The z-fighting in the bactas when the ater is raised is still there.
5. and the door under the room that loks over hangar has no sound

Those are just the probs i found hope they help.

Shadriss
03-18-2003, 10:40 PM
Found and corrected, with the exception of the end caps on the walkways - they meet up perfectly in the editor. Not sure why we're getting those sparklies. *shrug*

Leslie Judge
03-19-2003, 04:33 PM
I made some screenshots to show what I've found:
http://www.geocities.com/birolaszlo/commenor/commenor.html

Eldritch
03-19-2003, 04:45 PM
Just a quick note - the bacta tank crushed me into the ceiling.

I thought it was supposed to rise around you?

Shadriss
03-21-2003, 07:58 PM
It's been a few days. But I think I've got most of these problems taken care of now. I have to run a test or two more on the bacta tank, ,as that's the first time it HASNT worked properly, that I know of. I'll look into that.

The hotel rooms have been rebuilt completely, as have the hanger overhead beams. THey should now all look better, and you should NOT be able to see between curves.

If the bacta tank works in this compile, I'll be putting it up on the site so you can see the new hotel rooms. TTFN

Shadriss
03-22-2003, 09:03 PM
Latest build is up for evaluation. I'll be testing with Wes tonight on that Bacta tank issue, but I think everything else has been taken care of. Take note - the hotel rooms have been completely rebuilt! Be sure to take a look.

Shadriss
03-23-2003, 01:41 PM
The RPG version FIanl has been sent to PCGameMods. Look for that today. The FFA version will be released in a few days, after a few changes are made.

Pnut_Man
03-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Commenor is finally complete! awesome!

Kengo
03-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Nice one Shadriss, and congratulations! :D I will be sure to download the map as soon as I see it avaliable.

wedge2211
03-23-2003, 08:24 PM
And there was much rejoicing.

(yaaaaaaaaaaay)

Eldritch
03-23-2003, 08:32 PM
*the celebration music from the end of the ORIGINAL RoTJ plays*

*plays the drums on Stormtrooper helmets*
Yay! :D

Wes Marrakesh
03-24-2003, 12:43 AM
A w0000000000000000000000000ta! A w0000000000000000000000000ta! :D :D

Shadriss
03-24-2003, 08:03 PM
DOnt know why, but it's still not up on PCGameMods. SO, it's up on the site for the time being. Enjoy! And spread the word.

Pnut_Man
03-25-2003, 06:59 AM
http://pcgamemods.com/file.php?id=da11e8cd1811acb79ccf0fd62cd58f86

Pcgamemods has finally updated and there's the beautiful map :)

*Thinks about all of the stupid roleplayers misusing Commenor* Oh well..

Shadriss
03-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Yeah, it's up. Sergio could have taken new screenshots though - many of the ones he has up are from the Beta versions. THere were so many lighting changes and area rebuilds that some of them arent NEAR accurate. Ah well. :)

FuzzyCrimmy
03-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Great work Shadriss, Aru Wen and all the many others that supported this map along the way. I never thought I would see such a great RPG based city. Its so beautiful *tear*

Good work bud :D

DarkLord60
03-25-2003, 07:35 PM
Looks good

Eldritch
03-25-2003, 07:49 PM
Hey Dark, you got a problem posting a message with more than two words in it? :D

I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, Shad (you're aware of my comp problems), but I'm sure it looks great.

Ronin_Medjai
03-26-2003, 02:21 AM
Just got done going to a few RPG servers runnig this map it runs really well. The Station/power area still lags a tiny bit,and when Im in a jail cell and sit on the benches it makes a water sound on the bench lol..... other than that it is awesome and will make a fine addition to my collection... Gonna run it on My Dedi Im getting soon that will run 24/7 RPGs hehe with good RPers and stuff.

Leslie Judge
03-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Hehhe :) I like the way how Shadriss rabuilt the hotel rooms. I'm just wondering why he left out the door edges at the bedrooms. :D

Shadriss
03-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Left out the door edges?

Pnut_Man
03-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Did you guys manage to throw in that little trigger which would disable the lighting of the city?

Shadriss
03-26-2003, 06:47 PM
Nope. :)

(Hows that for a brief post?)

Leslie Judge
03-27-2003, 01:36 AM
Left out the door edges? No textures on them.

Kengo
03-27-2003, 08:42 AM
Happy Birthday Shadriss! Erm, I got you this....

:atat:

Imagine the fun you can have with a working AT-AT. Just don't try to move it in neutral, and don't leave the keys in the ignition.

Noticed the map is up on pcgamemods too, I must download that today, even the old screenshots look amazing :D

Hekx
03-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Happy Birthday Shadriss!
http://hekx.cjb.net/emotes/bday.gif

Eldritch
03-27-2003, 12:15 PM
:sing1: :clap2: :band1

Happy birthday Shadman!

Leslie Judge
03-27-2003, 12:41 PM
Happy Birthday, sir! :D

wedge2211
03-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Get out there and make a ruckus!

Shadriss
03-27-2003, 06:15 PM
:eek:

Ummmmmm.... Thanks? Wow... They LIKE ME! THEY REALLY LIKE ME!

Or it's an unreasonable facimile.

:confused:

Well, thanks all. What, ,did a huge message come up when you loaded the thread or something???

FuzzyCrimmy
03-27-2003, 07:18 PM
*looks at jawa's* Sing it with me. :jawa Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to....... *looks at jawa's* Or not....

Well you get the picture. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHADRISS!! Sorry the Jawa's didnt feel like singing. :p

wedge2211
03-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Well, thanks all. What, ,did a huge message come up when you loaded the thread or something???

It's in your profile. And I think when you put it in your profile, it shows up on some calendar. Anyways, Kengo noticed and we were all good little followers and jumped on the bandwagon.

(Note to self: start a WIP thread right around my birthday so I get lots of posts...)

Now what'll be really funny is all the people who post "Happy Birthday" messages TOMORROW just cause we all did. :)

Wes Marrakesh
03-28-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Hkx Nx
Happy Birthday Shadriss!
http://hekx.cjb.net/emotes/bday.gif

'nuff said. *gets soume Mountain Blue and pecan cookies*

Eldritch
03-28-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by Wes Marrakesh
'nuff said.
Have you been transformed into a Marvel Comics editor, Wes? :D

Kengo
03-28-2003, 04:57 AM
Have you been transformed into a Marvel Comics editor, Wes? :D

If so...GIVE ME A JOB!

Shadriss
03-28-2003, 11:27 PM
Well guys, this map is now officially wrapped up.

The FFA Version is uploading to PCGameMods as I type. THe only thing I am a little upset about with the FFA version is that I couldnt get a satisfactory BotRoute set up. Not matter how I laid it out, they keep going in circles, so I had to lose it. Maybe someone enterprising will come up with one that works, and there will be a V2 of this.

But I digress.

Thanks to all who supported this map, tested it, and gave feedback. Because of you all, another fine map has entered the world of JK2.

I'll be taking a few weeks off from mapping, but already I had LDJ, Wes, and Aru-Wen after me about what my next project will be. I wont say what it is yet, mostly because I still havent decided, I think.

But, as always, I guess we'll see. See you all later! And Enjoy the map.

wedge2211
03-28-2003, 11:37 PM
THe only thing I am a little upset about with the FFA version is that I couldnt get a satisfactory BotRoute set up. Not matter how I laid it out, they keep going in circles, so I had to lose it. Maybe someone enterprising will come up with one that works, and there will be a V2 of this.

I seem to have good luck with botroutes...maybe I'll take a potshot at it.

Hekx
03-29-2003, 10:33 AM
May I ask why the seats and chairs were made 'ghostly' in the final version? :confused:

Shadriss
03-29-2003, 03:10 PM
As explained at least three times now, they were left that way mostly for the SIT emote used in a few different mods, ,most notably the OmniMod RPG Full mod. Had I put clips around them, the player would be sitting about three feet from the chair, instead of IN it.

JDKnite188
03-31-2003, 01:12 PM
I played through your map, and it was really nice. Is there going to be any server that would host the map? That would be really nice.

Shadriss
04-02-2003, 05:58 AM
The FFA Version is finally avaliable on PCGameMods, marking the end of this project. Once again, thanks to all who helped.

wedge2211
04-02-2003, 08:51 AM
Yay again!

Ronin_Medjai
04-02-2003, 05:59 PM
did you include botroutes?

Eldritch
04-02-2003, 07:22 PM
No botroutes were included, but I believe Wedge volunteered to give it a shot. :D

.:Solusar:.
04-08-2003, 02:56 AM
Nice map. It looks awesome!, i haven't downloaded it yet because of laziness etc. and well i am looking forward playing on it!. Again nice and neatly done :D

Shotokan
04-12-2003, 04:54 PM
the map is fine! bot routes would be good cuz not all ppl can find others to play with them... namely... me!

superdude201
04-16-2003, 07:02 AM
This map is probably the best rpg map i've ever seen if only there was a server that used it.