PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game of All-Time

Notion
02-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Just wondering, what's your favorite game of all-time? It can be from all the way back when Atari came out, to today, Feb. 7, 2003.

I would have to say mine goes to Halo, although Deus ex holds a special place in my collection, as well as Morrowind.

Lord Glorfindel
02-07-2003, 10:38 PM
I can't just pick just ONE, I would have to pick five

Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate my babysitter
Microsoft Pinball (this game is so addicting)
Red Alert 2
Pac-Man (the orignal, even though the new one is fun also)

I like others but these are my favorites

Notion
02-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Ok well let's put it this way. If you could only play one more game before you died out of those 5, which would it be?

Lord Glorfindel
02-07-2003, 11:32 PM
Jedi Outcast would be the game I would want to play before I die.

Taos
02-08-2003, 01:23 AM
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. :)

Thrift
02-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Ok well let's put it this way. If you could only play one more game before you died out of those 5, which would it be? Wow Notion, that's a cheery way of putting it :)

I don't think I would be thinking of games if I knew I was going to die in a relatively short period of time ;)

In all honesty I would have to say Trivial Pursuit.
But I'm guessing that's not really what you're asking, so I will go with Leemu.
Ocarina of Time for sure!

Burrie
02-08-2003, 05:48 AM
My favorite game of all time, and the last game I'd want to play before I die?

That's not quite as tough as I thought : Monkey Island 1, of course! Best (adventure) game of all time ever. At least when I die then, I'll go out with a laugh.

Rogue15
02-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Rogue Squadron 3D or Force Commander

I can't wait to get half-life!!!!!!

leXX
02-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Don't expect the much from the graphics from Half Life compared to games nowadays, you have to remember how old the game is.

My favourite games of all time are:

PC - Half Life and the mod Team Fortress Classic
Console - Tomb Raider

-=Hooded-Jedi=-
02-08-2003, 12:32 PM
COUNTER-STRIKE..its more realistic then half-life...its fun...ive played it for 2 years straight and NEVER got tired of it!

Mex
02-08-2003, 12:53 PM
My favorite game has to be Halo.

Aerothorn
02-08-2003, 02:24 PM
If you had asked this question a year ago I wouldn't be able to answer with just one game...they're are so many great ones. Now, though, I can confidentlly say Morrowind. God I love that game. I won't even list the runner ups cause there are like 20. Deus Ex would be up there, as would Halo and Grim Fandango, and...well I won't even get started.I am looking forward to Deus Ex 2 more then anything else, though.

Jedi Apprentice
02-09-2003, 02:22 PM
Long time Zelda fan. Give me Ocarina of Time or Link to the Past.

Aerothorn
02-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Nostalgia is funny...most people remember how great the games they love were when they were released, when if they were released today they'd be considered pretty crappy.

Rogue15
02-09-2003, 10:50 PM
i don't really care about graphics anymore, on pc at least...as long as the game runs within 25 fps it's fine with me! :D

Lord Glorfindel
02-09-2003, 10:58 PM
They should make a newer Commander Keen, The Commander Keen Series were great games.

-s/<itzo-
02-10-2003, 02:02 AM
counterstrike definetly. :D

Darth Simpson
02-10-2003, 12:58 PM
I don't know, it's hard to choose. I've played so many great games.

Treacherous Mercenary
02-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Favorite game of all time. I don't really have one, but many rather. ;)

America's Army (Love the realism better than CS :p)
Day of Defeat
Counter Strike
SW:JKII

That's all for now.

Notion
02-10-2003, 05:34 PM
Yes, the dying part added a little too much of a macabre element to the topic :D, so let's just go with the cliche of being trapped on an island with every system known to man, but only 1 game.

In that case, give me Morrowind. The things you could do with that game...

Treacherous Mercenary
02-10-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Notion
In that case, give me Morrowind. The things you could do with that game...

You know, I might get that with the video card I get provided the Geforce4 Ti 4400s aren't out come Friday. :lol:

As for one game, I guess it would have to be America's Army. :) Or if I like the game, perhaps Rainbow Six III: Raven Shield.

leXX
02-10-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Notion
Yes, the dying part added a little too much of a macabre element to the topic :D, so let's just go with the cliche of being trapped on an island with every system known to man, but only 1 game.

Can you have multiplayer?

Aerothorn
02-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Well if your on an island your probably don't have a net connection...but....lets say your on an island with a sattelite dish so you can use the net, so ya, multiplayer should count.

And Rouge, I wasn't speaking graphics, I was speaking gameplay- if a game is really good, people copy it and improve off of it so then a few years later it has crappy gameplay. Usually.

Notion
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
Sure, you've got the fastest connection available to man, and it's all going through a 10' wide pipe down through the ocean and directly connected to every game server out there. The only problem is, when you try to tell people in your game that you're stuck on an island, nobody believes you. So yes MP is in, if it wasn't that would be leaving out a lot of great games!

I just hope nobody says Everquest.. :D

Imperial Sardaukar: Morrowind + a Geforce 4 Ti = bliss.

Rogue15
02-10-2003, 10:48 PM
Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII for PS1.
Turok 2 and Shadows of the Empire for N64.

Too many favorites for PC, i'll name some...

Rogue Squadron
Force Commander
Rebellion
Galactic Battlegrounds
Xwing Alliance
Delta Force
MotS
Jedi Outcast

FunClown
02-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Master of Orion 1. Came out in 1993. Was the first game I bought for my first PC which replaced the commodore 64 that broke down, a 486sx with 2MB of system memory and a 117MB HDD, Windows 3.1.

It was only a few months ago since I last played it. Though thats when I found a little loop hole which I could expoit to win easily, so it isn't as fun anymore. :)

leXX
02-11-2003, 01:43 PM
ok, if it's multiplayer then I have to say JK2.

Aerothorn
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
Wait, are we listing favorite games, or stuck on an island games? They are different. For instance, Rouge really likes MGS, but since its a short, single player only game it probably wouldn't be good to be trapped on an island with- for that you'd want a huge game, like Morrowind, or a multiplayer game.

Do mods count? Like, if I choose Morrowind, can I play all the Morrowind mods? You DO have a net connection....

Hannibal
02-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Aerothorn
Nostalgia is funny...most people remember how great the games they love were when they were released, when if they were released today they'd be considered pretty crappy.

Boy isn't that the truth.

Mine is FFVII. It was the first game I played that was that long and had a story. Before that I had mostly played fighters, sports and racing games.:nuts:

Notion
02-11-2003, 05:46 PM
Stuck on an island is more interesting. And I guess If I were stuck on an island..with nobody.. for a long time.. I would want DOAXBV.... j/k I'd still take Morrowind, even though I've never played any mods. I have the xbox version, and although there are mods for it, you have to have some pretty high end illegal hardware. :(

Darth Eggplant
02-12-2003, 11:59 AM
shooter game: Unreal Tournament

classic game: Lemmings (Oh No More Lemmings)

lucasarts game: Grim Fandango

real time strategy game: Starcraft\Broodwar

shooter\adventure game: American McGee's Alice

obscure games:
The Dark Eye,
Bad Day On The Midway,
Drowned God

cool creepy game which blew up in hard drive
and I was unable to finish it, but would like to,
but I think it is out of print now: Sanitarium

Sim game: Theme Park

only Star Wars game I own: Pod Racer

funny game which I played and really liked,
but it had a glitch in it and when you get to
Titania's ear you just can't solve the puzzle,
hence you can not finish the game,
but it had potential,AND when I returned it to EB
I got 2 other copies of the same game
and none of them worked even when consulting
a cheat site, and now it is out of print I believe,
and the author a very fine and funny man
has passed away: Starship Titanic

worst game experiences: *anything from Dreamcatcher*
there is a conspirasy out there,
or the games hate my computer,
because no Dreamcatcher game
I have ever bought do not work on my machine
(any of them and there have been a few.)

favourite of all favourites: Exhile MYST3
*eternal thanks to Cyan
the reason I first got a computer in the first place.*

favourite game in progress: Mudpie (a Cyan game to come)

Aerothorn
02-13-2003, 12:10 AM
I feel sorry for the people who don't have a good enough computer for the Morrowind PC version. I mean its more cost effective for Xbox version but Morrowind PC has Tribunal(They wanted to put it on Xbox but Xbox was not designed to be able to accept expansion packs) and a billion great mods. Xbox version can't even be patched! I hear they still have the Fury bug and everything.

Reb Starblazer
02-14-2003, 05:22 PM
Favourite game of all time would definitely be Jedi Knight : Dark Forces 2. Bought it the first day it was released, and played it right up until JO came out, and I still even play it from time to time.

Notion
02-14-2003, 07:26 PM
Yeah I'll get a good computer soon... but for now it's MW on xbox, the version where you don't even know how much HP your opponent has! I really wanted my thief chracter to wear a cloaked hood too, but mods aren't on xbox unless you wanna take the illegal route.

Jedi Apprentice
02-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Aerothorn

What?? I still play the old zelda every now and then. Great games. There ain't nothing wrong with nostalgia! :D

Jed
02-16-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Leemu Taos
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time. :)

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Legend of Zelda: OoT is the best game I've ever played.

Pad
02-21-2003, 02:39 PM
:o i didnt play that :p

hmm, thats a hard one as i played so much games. my sp/mp favorites: jk2, rtcw, dungeon keeper, fifa99, nhl99

my alltime mp game is rtcw

Aerothorn
02-21-2003, 05:04 PM
What I'm saying is, you mostly like the games for nostalgic reasons- if, say, Super Mario 64 was released today, it would get crappy reviews, because its a stereotypical platformer with bad graphics/sound. For example, Vexx has gotten not good reviews. If it was released before Super Mario 64, it would be hailed as one of the greatest games of all time. But its gotten bad reviews BECAUSE its so like Mario, it hasn't moved on, that was released years ago and the genre has developed. Don't get me wrong, there are many old games I love, and some of them(The ones that are more about the writing the the gameplay) would be just as good today(Albeit with bad graphics and sound) but gameplay evolves just as fast, and perhaps faster, then graphics do. I mean look at Ultima 1. Now look at Deus Ex 2. We've come a long way.