PDA

View Full Version : Black Holes (for anyone interested in them).

RpTheHotrod
02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
I found an interesting website concerning black holes. I remember awhile back watching a video on Hawkins discussing black holes.

http://amazing-space.stsci.edu/resources/explorations/blackholes/teacher/sciencebackground.html

[KOC]Qui-Zan
02-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Cool, i remember watching a horizon episode on 'Super Massive Black Holes'. The theory is that there's one dormant in every galaxy and could awaken at any time, but rarely do

Cool stuff :) , space i mean..............

SmartDragon
02-13-2003, 11:08 AM
space is avery strange place where anything can happen. I wonder how Larry Niven would feel to know that we really do have a black hole in the centre of the galaxy and we didn't need the bussard ramjet to discover it.:D

RpTheHotrod
02-13-2003, 11:24 AM
A Space Oddesey was interesting, as well.

Eldritch
02-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by [KOC]Qui-Zan
Cool, i remember watching a horizon episode on 'Super Massive Black Holes'. The theory is that there's one dormant in every galaxy and could awaken at any time, but rarely do

That theory sounds like a bunch of BS. A black hole is just an extreme amount of gravity - doesn't have a switch that can turn it on or off, so it can't be dormant.

Current theory states that there is a black hole at the center of the Milky Way Galaxy (approximately 30,000 light years away from us). For those that want an estimate in miles or kilometers, that's about 6 trillion miles or 9 1/2 trillion kilometers.

Some distance, eh? And that's just to the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. There's millions (perhaps billions) of galaxies in the universe. Mind blowing size, eh? :explode:

Psyk0Sith
02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Did you guys know there's a possibility that our solar system contains an extra planet?... Planet X or Nibiru like the Sumerian called it.

"In 1982, NASA themselves officially recognized the possibility of Planet X, with an announcement that 'some kind of mystery object is really there - far beyond the outermost planets'. One year later, the newly launched IRAS (Infrared Astronomical Satellite) spotted a large mysterious object in the depths of space."

Cool!

Eldritch
02-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Could be. Could be just like Pluto, though.

They're still debating whether or not Pluto is actually a planet - it meets more of the criteria for an asteroid/comet/other space traveler than it does a planet.

You never know, though. There's all kinds of stuff in our own Solar System I'm sure we never see.