PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the trees?

C Shutt
02-25-2003, 02:45 AM
I was just reading the thread lamenting the lack of interesting new threads on this board, and found myself inspired by bgbennyboy's call to arms. Unfortunately, as a result of years of recreational drug use, I haven't had an original idea since 1999. So instead, I thought I'd resurrect a thread from the old LucasFans forums. All of its previous incarnations were met with indifference and a quick death, but I'm quietly optimistic I'll have better luck next time.

This is a thread to discuss the communist themes in LucasArts adventure games. Here's an interesting line to get us started.

Sam: "What's wrong with the trees?"
Max: "Are they succumbing to outdated Marxist dogma?"

scabb
02-25-2003, 04:55 PM
The Jedi are quite clearly a bunch of commies, and George Lucas is quite clearly an anarchist slash communist slash nazi.

MeddlingMonk
02-26-2003, 03:05 PM
Moving right along...

Grim Fandango has a good deal of Communism in it. Salvador is a clear reference to Che Guevara. And there are the three commies in the Blue Casket and their book, which inspired Terry's speech.

But apart from Sam & Max and GF I can't think of any other LEC games where Communism pops up.

(That's someone's cue to prove me wrong. ;) )

GendoTheGreat
02-27-2003, 10:43 AM
There are healthy doses of social Liberalism, which can turn into something similar if you're fanatical enough.

MeddlingMonk
02-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I guess I can prove myself wrong. There are some Communist references in EMI. Father Rasputin keeps addressing Guybrush as tovarich (Russian for 'comrade'), and one of the chess players refers to a 'Khrushchev burial gambit' (Khrushchev succeeded Stalin, and once declared at the UN that 'we will bury you'--meaning that Communism would triumph over capitalism).

GendoTheGreat
02-27-2003, 02:12 PM
May I ask what the precise purpose of this thread is? Are we trying to esablish whether any Lucasarts games are promoting a Communist agenda, or are we just shooting the breeze here?

Gexx
02-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by scabb
The Jedi are quite clearly a bunch of commies, and George Lucas is quite clearly an anarchist slash communist slash nazi.

Isn't George Lucas Jewish?
Also, I noticed the references in the games. But I don't think it's enough reason to blacklist Mr. Lucas.

I hope I didn't just shootdown this thread because it seemed very interesting.

GendoTheGreat
02-27-2003, 07:15 PM
I think he was joking, man.

Gexx
02-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I know.:D
I've never really thought much about those things in the games, but I'll have to look for them if I play them again.

Laserschwert
03-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Communism in LucasArts games? SURE:

"Ted is dead, and Ted is RED."

:D

Swordmaster
03-25-2003, 11:43 AM
Then, of course, there is Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine with its communists, but I don't think people here would label it an adventure...

C Shutt
03-25-2003, 01:58 PM
To say nothing of the fact that when I buy an Indiana Jones game, I want Nazis, damn it. Commies are a poor substitute.

Alien426
03-26-2003, 01:49 AM
The head товарищ (tovarish) wasn't even evil throughout. That may be so realistic and enlightened, but it isn't conform with the movies.

Gexx
04-15-2003, 06:58 PM
Sorry for the bump.

Has anyone noticed how Sal Limones in GF kinda resembles Che Guevara?

MeddlingMonk
04-21-2003, 11:00 PM
If you look at the third message in this thread you'll see that, yes, someone has. :p