View Full Version : LEC Community: Likes & Hates?
Captain Mystery (http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/read.php?id=25) has inspired me, and I now have a two part question for everyone. (Aside from excessive LOTR and hair (http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/read.php?id=25) chat) What do you like the most, and what pisses you off the most (or what do you think is the most stupid) about this community?
Sadly enough, at this point in time if I had to like one thing I'd probably say that it is LucasForums. Not just because it is full of extremely worthwhile (heh) chat, and not just because it is a melting pot for people who hate Star Wars and people who hate "stupid gay slow girl puzzle games" alike to mingle, but really because so many of the posts around here are so damn entertaining.* Also I like RTX screenshots.
What I dislike more than anything else are closed minded whiney people, and, by extension, people who refuse to believe that Guybrush might possibly even remotely slightly be a kid :). Also people who post comments, start threads, or write emails about how Mojo has sold out and is stupid without any evidence are sort of a downer. And, finally, games like The Clone Wars, and some of those Gladius screens, make you not want to like LEC.
*Posts not always "so damn entertaining" due to any particularly high level of quality.
02-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Alien426's turn ons:
I like this forum. The fact that you can find a lot of different people here. Some will entertain you, some can help you with just about any problem. There are these great guys who program ScummVM and the likes... I love the art that is created because of the games.
Alien426's turn offs:
LucasArts losing all the people we've grown to expect great adventures from (um, this isn't strictly community related). The demise of the genre in general.
V this post :Þ
02-28-2003, 08:45 AM
Cool thread. Okay, what do I like? Well it's like everyone; I like the forums here that likely have a strong likeness to the lucas magic. Like it? boo, ok that was bad.
Likes (in no particular order):
All the different LucasForums, the power of the LEC community. When I browse the lucasforums adventure (monkey, grim, indy, sammax, etc) forums I think; wow so many LEC-lovers. Then I sometimes wander off to the Star Wars forums and I think "woaaahhh, there's even more people out there!". That's quite cool imo.
It's just crazy there sometimes. #monkey-island is the only irc channel I have yet found that has the most people with cynicism, sarcasm and just humour in general. I just love that. Also the munki-eyelond-language!!1 ROFL?!
I really like their seperate game websites. They put a lot of work in it, because they make quite a few games at a time and they always create seperate sites for the games. That's pretty cool.
Keeps ya off the street. The polls are the win and the features are the joy.
I just love collecting LucasArts stuff. I'm crazy when it comes to collecting!
"LEC sold out!"
People who still whine about LEC selling out for only making bad Star Wars games. I mean even the Star Wars games that they make now, they're of damn good quality.
Guybrush isn't a boy!
Like jake said. Narrow minded sillyness.
02-28-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Jake
What do you like the most
, and what pisses you off the most (or what do you think is the most stupid) about this community?
02-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Hmmm... LucasForums is quite good at times, and I still think some of the Mojo sites do a good job. Also, there seem to be quite a few LEC games I'm looking forward to (Indy, RTX, KOTOR, FT2 and S&M2)
Dislikes - anything related to fanfic makes me cry. People who speak without checking facts first (i.e. Guybrush being a kid yada yada) bugs me. And I don't dig piracy, especially when it's encouraged in certain forums (http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1777). ¬ ¬
02-28-2003, 12:08 PM
The actual people within the community, who are (almost all) cool, friendly, interesting people.
The fact that its actually a community, with a range of people who have broadly similar interests.
Lec Pirates - 'I cant buy Monkey Island new in Uzbekistan therefore its abandonware and I am entitled to pirate it. Where can I download it?'
Lazy, stupid Lec Pirates - 'Help! I downloaded this file - Monkey1and2.rar but winzip cant extract it!' 'Ok now I cant get any music on monkey island 1, someone help me!!!!'
People who wont accept the logic of an arguement and continue to plug on regardless - yes, the 'guybrush cant be a kid!' people.
02-28-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by RemiO
And I don't dig piracy, especially when it's encouraged in certain forums (http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1777). ¬ ¬
*cough* See, I told him it was illegal... *cough*
02-28-2003, 12:24 PM
The forums are mostly good, except for The Harbour.
The back-alleys of the main IRC / #monkey-island community (#gfnetwork)
The whole Scumm-hacking and amateur-game community
People who claim EMI's control system was what ruined the game
#monkey-island, 70% of the time
Giant and offensive signature images
02-28-2003, 02:32 PM
• The huge array of forums, all connected and not requiring any kind of registration to participate in each.
• The fact that most people in the community know each other in some way.
• The huge wealth of information to be found in the network.
• People who go out of their way to be annoying.
• People who post for no reason other than to raise their count.
• Me not being staff at the Scumm Bar.
02-28-2003, 04:44 PM
The fact that everyone knows each other in some way, and we all have at least one interest in common.
The colour scheme!
The quality coverage of anything to do with LucasArts throughout the LFN.
The fans on the forums are so talented in various areas - see the fan MP3's and artwork scattered throughout the community.
The people here all seem to be very intellectual, as opposed to the "I'll kill you" attitude some people on the internet adopt.
People who moan about the demise of point-and-clicks. 3D is the future!!*
People who moan about Star Wars!!
The lack of coverage of Pirates of the Carribean (reason number 5 in Empire magazine's "50 reasons why movies kick ass now")
Porcelain... I hate porcelain!!
*That said, The Longest Journey was a point-and-click. Maybe the sequel will be as well.
03-01-2003, 01:44 PM
1. There are a lot of interesting and unique people in the community. Many times, I have enjoyed their warped sense of humor and unusual banter.
2. I love reading comments on Mojo news posts. It's probably one of the highlights of my day... and if that makes me look like a sad and pathetic person... well, just remove the "if" there.
3. The amazing way in which things actually get done in the community despite being completely unorganized.
1. Again, people who claim Mojo has sold out or just isn't as good as it used to be. I mean, come on people. Have you actually looked at the web archives? Things weren't all that more fantastic than they are now.
2. Raven employees who come on the forums and bad mouth Mixnmojo for posting a cynical preview of Gladius, claiming that we hate anything that isn't a graphic adventure. Ooops, uh... carry on.
3. People who think that 3D games are and will always be inferior to 2D. I mean, 2D is great and all and should always have a place, but 3D has a lot of potential.
4. Fans who think Ron Gilbert is the complete lord and master of the Monkey Island games.
03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RemiO
And I don't dig piracy, especially when it's encouraged in certain forums (http://www.worldofmi.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1777). ¬ ¬ [/B]
You can't be everywhere at once. I removed the links as soon as I saw them. Please don't announce that the WMI forums encourage piracy because we don't, but a few mistakes creep in once in a while in a busy community.
03-04-2003, 07:43 PM
Likes - SCABB - the last gentleman. And he knows why.
03-04-2003, 10:59 PM
- There's always something to talk about, no matter how inane or stupid it may be.
- There's always someone there to call you a blow-hard when you think you're being witty.
- The loveable color schemes
-The fact that ever since they created that damn store, i feel some shallow need to earn as many points as I possibly can in the shortest amount of time possible to try and buy useless little lines of code that will somehow altar my profile to make me stand out more or something.
-Admins who yell at you for staging hostile takeovers of other forums.:disaprove :animelol:
03-04-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by sheaday6
-Admins who yell at you for staging hostile takeovers of other forums.:disaprove :animelol: [/B]
Hostile takeovers are severly under rated
03-04-2003, 11:26 PM
they're more of a chore, and not nearly as fun as they sound
03-04-2003, 11:48 PM
I saw it as more of a.... Holy Crusade
03-31-2003, 12:58 AM
I like the news coverage. It keeps me up-to-date with everything LEC when it's relevant. Good work guys :)
I like most of the people. I had no idea that monkey island was that popular around the world. There's people from all walks of life who come here to talk about anything that's on their mind (and it doesn't have to be about Monkey Island)
The forums are nicely done. Good topics.
Captain Mystery - he's never been wrong or led us astray!
Me not being an Op on #M-I.
LAVAA - Who woulda guessed Gary Coleman was Kenny in CoMI??? Or that wicked voice of Danny Delk as Murray???
(Sorry guys, I live for movies. If I were an Internet site, I'd be called imdb.com) lol
A**-hats who talk about 'Lord Of The Hair' in #M-I (I'm so sick of that trilogy and all who talk about it!!!) PJ is GL in disguise. hee
On #M-I, people who unfairly slander someone who's new to the channel (ie - n00bs. They don't deserve that kind of shabby treatment. *ding* You we're all n00bs at least once in your life!)
The removal of the Mojo files section.
04-01-2003, 03:09 PM
dislike: goddam april fools day. every time, you gits.
04-03-2003, 02:16 AM
Dislikes: The endless inane banter, half-assed posts and scarcastic insults. Also the complete lack of any decent new games... grrr. Also, for some reason, BG always manages to rub me up completely the wrong way! :)
You can't post just dislikes. This isn't a thread for simply griping at benny, or the first day of the month. Come on here, people.
Dan Petit related humour is good. Bless 'im.
But everything else sucks.*
*This may not be true.
04-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Likes: the great people and web-sites.
Dislikes: The people who nag you to send them a copy of a game.
04-05-2003, 06:16 PM
You can't post just dislikes. This isn't a thread for simply griping at benny, or the first day of the month. Come on here, people.
Huh? What parts did you say you liked?? What kind of answers are you looking for?
04-05-2003, 06:19 PM
He said Lucasforums and RTX screenshots.
04-05-2003, 06:28 PM
I thought he was being sarcastic :) (Well maybe not about the RTX screeshots... but the rest... !)
Likes? Well, hmmm, there being a place I talk can about adventure games for one! The fact that people like Benny are dedicated to making old game work on my new system (very important!). A lot of the fan stuff is pretty impressive too (the art and such)... I just wish there were more NEW decent quality adventure games being released :(
After MI4 I don't even hold out that much hope for FT2... I certainly don't like Ben's new posture... Fingers crossed it will be back to form for LEC!!!!
04-19-2003, 08:29 PM
The people here were unquestionably friendly when I first came on, unlike on some forums and chats where newbies are automatically labelled as 'annoying' and 'stupid' and, uh, 'newbie'
Where people can argue about stuff and yet agree to disagree.
We're a funny old bunch.
People that are unfriendly, which there aren't really many of, and people that have the "GUYBRUSH IS NOT A KID I DONT CARE U R DUMN IF U TINK HE IS!" attitude... as mentioned above several times.
The forums are very slow on my pathetic dial up
04-20-2003, 06:39 AM
What I like the most about this community (the lucasarts gamers community you mean?) is that if I visit mixnmojo.com I'll possibly find news I'd find interesting to read and also have features to check out. But wait, what I like most about this community is that it *is* a community. That each fan does develop and moves the community forward, in some way. Mostly positive and interesting way. Where will this lucascommunity be in 5years? then this will be the old times. hee. I'm not full of crap, but I just mean that it's about the games and our passion for them. And I'm very grateful to all fans who've made great work to share with others. Also, sharing thoughts and getting to know other gamers with similar passion is.. cool.
Good stuff: The mixnmojo features and news.
Features (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/features_subsections.php?type=features), Interviews (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/features_subsections.php?type=interviews),Reviews (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/features_subsections.php?type=reviews),Previews (http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/site/features_subsections.php?type=previews)
The best part of this community is the people who makes things happen.
What pisses me off the most or what I think is the most stupid about this community is... when I my self dont agree on something and get insulted.
What the most stupid thing would be.. I dont know. Possibly if LucasArts would stop makeing great games.
04-24-2003, 07:14 AM
- The community. Not just that we all like the same things, but that we like them in different ways. Granted, Mojo tries to keep to a "one site per game" standard (otherwise, the server and their menu would be PACKED), but there is such intermingling between all the LFNetwork sites, as well as those small sites that seem to be eternally hosted in some back corner of the web on some Geocities-style setup, drawing even the most remote sites into the fold via links.
- The community (yes, I repeat). Along with this intermingling of sites, there is also a mixing of tools, graphics, files, etc. Fan-created items like art, stories, music, etc gets shared in this community faster than LEC news. I admit, I really like this - gives the games more coverage and shows off the talents of many of us by using a broader net to reel in other fans. I know when LEC announced FT2, I was chomping at the bit to help existing, fledgling, or soon-to exist FT fansites by openly telling webmasters "As long as you credit the creators of the files, feel free to mirror the Kickstand's downloads section". That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. We help our own. Plus, I get a kick out of seeing my work displayed with honor on someone else's page.
- The community (etc., etc.,). We all agree to disagree. I mean, how many communities of this size out there still discuss the storyline to Stationfall? Or the graphics of Hugo's House of Horrors? Or the voice acting in Titanic: Adventure out of time? None that I know of. Yet, in our community, you can always catch someone discussing the secret of Big Whoop, 2-d vs. 3-d, why Elain was British in CoMI, but American in EFMI. And, on the same tack, you can hear others argue against it, not only stoking the discussion's fire, but most often drawing people in and adding fuel.
- The community (ad nauseum, et al.) For the lack of true "war". I mean, everyone who pours their blood, sweat, and tears into a fansite wants it to be the best out there. We all want the huge hits and to be mentioned by LEC employees or, if we're lucky, to rise to the point of getting press badges and invites to E3 to rub elbows with the "gods" of our little cult. Yet, for all this, we often lean on the shoulders of the very people we are "competing" against for feedback, support, or ideas on how to make it better, and then we turn around and lend a shoulder to others so that they can do the same. I may have sole custody over the password to the Kickstand, and final judgement of what goes and what stays, but you....all of you...have helped shape it. You are all, in your own ways, my co-webmasters, and your blood flows through my veins just as mine flows through yours. Do you know what that's called? Not "community", but "family".
- The fans. Without you, none of this would be worth a damn.
- Software pirates. There is no excuse, there is no forgiveness. May the fleas and ticks of a thousand camels infest themselves upon your crotches. 'Nuff said on that.
- LEC's silence. Yes, I know that loose lips sink ships, but communication is a two-way street. You just hired a PR liason, but we would like some unofficial feedback from you. We've all played nice with the games you have given us (with the exception of a couple of naughty mp3's) and have kept it clean. Is there anything that we are doing that irks you? I would hate to think that any of my sites please you 99% of the time, but that there's a 1% that makes your blood boil or makes you want to climb onto my roof naked with an AK-47 just to wait for me to emerge in the morning to go to work, giving you a clean shot at the back of my balding melon. Also, isn't it better to ask specific questions of us to get feedback beforehand rather than pump tons of time and energy into some aspect of a game you think we might like only to watch us tear it apart like disgruntled wolverines, forcing you to make a note not to repeat the mistake or wonder just what it was you did wrong?
- Bickering in forums/irc/wherever. Yes, I said I liked the difference of opinion in the community, but I've seen enough "war" on #monkey-island to make me neglect even watching the chat some times. I know that every society tends to segment into small circles of friends, but come on... Can't we all just get along in the aspect of 'ein community, ein channel'? I'm not saying "ditch the other channels", just saying "let's not force people to leave #m-i entirely and create splinter channels out of anger/rebellion." Same goes with forums.
- Time. I only get 24 hours in a day, and spend most of it with the job, the wife, the toddler, and the baby-to-be (due in Oct) and would love to be able to get more chat, forum, web update, and news reading time in, but I can't. I realise that this is out of the scope of the community, but I need a scapegoat. For this, I choose Spaff - the hidden man behind the curtain...The Great And Powerful Wizard of Mixnmojo! Sorry, Spaff, but it's just past Easter and my cross is empty. Hand me those nails, would you?
04-24-2003, 11:17 AM
Likes: I can post here every two minutes for 24 hours straight or once in a blue moon, and no-one gives a **** either way.
Dislikes: My coffee is cold and I'm out of cigarettes.
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.