View Full Version : 2 mapping questions
03-01-2003, 11:01 PM
First of all, how to I get a door to open, and stay open as long as I want then hit the same switch to close it. The reason is because I am tryin to make sniper slots in some walls and I want the the little shutters to open and shut ONLY when I hit the switch. The second thing, is how do I get light to spread out evenly on a surface and not to be bright in one spot and faded away on another?
03-01-2003, 11:11 PM
I don't know, but I would like to know the answer to them both. You ask good questions!
03-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Ok...............lol. So does anyone know how? I know they're possible, cause i've see em in other maps b4. One other question....is it possible to make a water fall or something that resembles it? Also, can u make water have a fast current to it?
03-02-2003, 02:30 AM
1)Set the TOGGLE flag for the door entity.
2)I might have misunderstood the question, but try a light emmiting shader, or make the surface texture emmit light (shader ed-came with JK2 radiant). That should evenly disperse the light.
3) I think for the water fall, an fx file was used. I don't know about the rushing water. As a guess, try a target_push for the current, an invisible shader for the actuall water, and try making an fx file (or search for one) that looks like running water.
03-02-2003, 08:09 AM
1) Yes, but TOGGLE works for SP only. In MP you can set the wait to a very high value to simulate that.
2) Hmm... you can make a shader file for that surface and force vertex lighting in that. Then no lightmap will be generated, so no bright spot, but more evenly lighted surface.
3) :) I would say make the opposite. Use shaders to simulate the running water and waterfall. And use an efx file to make the water mist at the bottom of the waterfall. You can find running water shader in the yavin set probably and there is a water_mist.efx file in effects/env.
03-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Thx. My last 2 questions were answered.......but one thing about the doors thing still. What if I wanted to open it....then close it (10,12,300, ect...) seconds later. With the wait period for a long time, I will be able to open it whenevr I want to, but I wont be able to close it whenever I want to. How do I do this?
P.S- How do I do the second thing? I have no idea how to use the Shader-ED
03-02-2003, 04:26 PM
1) What you are talking about would happen if you were using the delay key. But using the wait key tells the door to wait X seconds then close. If you push the button which closes the door, it should give up the waiting and close immediately. I can be wrong of course. :)
2) I don't use ShaderEd myself so I can't help in that. I write my shaders in notepad. :)
What I write down here will probably work with q3map2 only. If it works. :) I've never tried this before so this is what I think not what I know.
Here is a sample shader for forced vertex lighting on a surface:
The surfaceparm pointlight forces vertex lighting.
03-02-2003, 04:57 PM
Ok. Thx. Actually for the light thing, I found that I could put multiple small lights over the ground/floor. That basicly makes it look like the light is spread out evenly outside or inside.
P.S. Would that affect the framerate badly? Good or Bad idea?
03-03-2003, 02:48 AM
There is a thread about this question somewhere not too far in the past.
 Here: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93216&highlight=more+stored
03-09-2003, 01:30 PM
regarding waterfalls.. theres a yavin water texture that is a waterfall
EG it flows DOWN
they used it for in the temple area
when you break the pipe
I found it by looking at yavin shader in shadrEd 2 =]
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.