PDA

View Full Version : Different versions of IJ and the Fate of Atlantis?

Timeless79
03-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Howdy,

I bought the "talkie" CD-Rom Version of FoA in 1997. Did they make any changes in terms of newer versions since then?
Are there any known bugs about this "talkie-version"?

Thanks for your help

GendoTheGreat
03-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and no changes that I know of.

Bob Gnarly
03-06-2003, 06:21 PM
have fun playing it, that games like crack

GendoTheGreat
03-07-2003, 02:21 AM
Crack cut with rocket fuel.

Akh_Thoth
03-24-2003, 05:00 PM
I've just recently acquired the 'talkie' version through Ebay, and I'm having trouble setting up two things.

Firstly, I hear about one second of sound and then it cuts out (only a prob w/ speech) and also I can't use my mouse ingame, because I don't see the crosshairs (until I go out to the menu screen by hitting F1).

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?? I'm going to try the various sound progs I can use to get that aspect working, but the mouse problem eludes me.

nd
03-26-2003, 08:22 AM
I had a lot of trouble until I finally succeeded to get my FOA Talkie version running.

Fact is that it is a quite old DOS application which directly accesses the Sound Blaster hardware. I therefore bought an old Sound Blaster 16 ISA card. I also tried newer cards of which the TerraTec 128 PCI worked best (most of the newer Sound Blaster cards didn't work at all). However, I got hang-ups during fist fight with the TerraTec so I won't recommend it.

I also have an old 486 PC which I meanwhile dedicated to some old DOS apps (including FOA Talkie) which don't run on newer systems. I once tried to update this PC to a Pentium I mainboard but afterwards FOA Talkie did not work anymore, so I reverted to the old 486 board.

Conclusion for me: I'll not change this system anymore. I don't think it's possible to run FOA Talkie on a recent PC. It definitely requires an original Sound Blaster 16 ISA card.

Mentat88
03-31-2003, 07:30 PM
you can use SCUMMVM quick and easy to run it with Talkie and sound.

http://quick.mixnmojo.com

very easy to use :)

nd
04-01-2003, 05:37 AM
Wow, that's a great suggestion! I'll try that, thank you!