PDA

View Full Version : JK: Jedi Academy Info, Pics and Discussion! (ancient)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

els.DarkLord
03-29-2003, 03:28 AM
Well what should I say?

Here is what i send in to the JediKnightii.net Staff as a news:
Seems like no news site has posted this so far, so:
According to the popular german game magazine "GameStar" there WILL be a Jedi Knight 3!
Checkt out www.gamestar.de for a cover-shot of their next issue - they claim to have world exclusive material on it... we'll see.
Subscribers should be getting their GameStars right now, so maybe someone might upload a scan.

What everyone should do now is jsut check out GameStar's Frontpage (http://www.gamestar.de) and judge for themselves.

GameStar has a pretty good reputation and I'm sure that it's true, but the 'secret link' they claim to have on the cover is a bit dubious ain't it? ;)

Don't bother trying to find more news within gamestar.de - the cover is all that's there ...
Quick translation of the main points:
Jedi Knight 3 [+ secret link]
free choice of heroes and missions

They claim to have been able to actually PLAY the game....

So I'd like to say somthing to the subscribers of gamestar:

SEND IN SCANS! ;D

wassup
03-29-2003, 05:44 AM
Uh...Twi-lek Jedi/Dark Jedi...wtf...lol :confused:

shock ~ unnamed
03-29-2003, 07:01 AM
I think the chance of a German publication getting the scoop on a state side release is pretty slim but you never know.
:cool:

Zappa_0
03-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Hmmmmmmm.....this is interesting, a German Gaming Magizine getting first scoops of Jedi Knight 3??? That's abit odd, but as from the cover, it maybe true.

StormHammer
03-29-2003, 09:00 AM
I don't know...wasn't GameStar one of the first to produce some in-game movie footage of Jedi Outcast? They seem to be quite resourceful.

Anyway...it doesn't matter to me. I love that picture of a Twi'Lek Jedi on the cover. :eek:

It would be seriously good if we could play as a female Twi'Lek in an SP campaign... That was the other thing that was largely missing from Jedi Outcast...alien Jedi, on both sides.

Taos
03-29-2003, 09:36 AM
Agreed Stormy, I also think that they need to incorporate alien jedi's into some of these games. It would make it that much more realistic.

I hope that this magazine is right. I can't wait to see Jk3 and I hope we don't have to wait too long. :)

-=DarkZero=-
03-29-2003, 11:47 AM
HOLY SH*T! that looks amazing!
The only thing that sucks is I may not ber able to get it because im getting SWG ;-;
And they are right,jk3 is coming out oh ya its our birthday....-looks around- any waY..

els.DarkLord
03-29-2003, 12:12 PM
Yeah well... haven't seen it myself yet, but it looks like they have 6 full pages on JK3.... if that ain't promising ;)

GameStar is actually one of the most important game mags in europe, so such stuff isn't all that odd - surprising sure, but well who cares :)

I'll look around a bit more and see if I can find some scans. The jk2.net staff doesn't seem to have any more info, since they aven't yet posted about it.

Toonces
03-29-2003, 12:47 PM
wow, wow, and hmm, WOW!

Dancing around like a 8yr old little girl :D

els.DarkLord
03-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Oh yeah, I imagine how many law suits GameStar would face IF this turns out to be an "april fools" gag (it's called "Aprilscherz" - no idea how to translate that correctly).

Let's all hope the best ;)

WarteX
03-29-2003, 01:01 PM
if its true then, yay!

Bob Gnarly
03-29-2003, 01:04 PM
thats amazing!

Toonces
03-29-2003, 01:24 PM
I'm very intrested to see those screenshots that Com Raven was talking about. I'm not a fan of the Q3 engine (at least JKII's implementation) so I hope Raven has done some major modifications to make it run smoother, and taken steps to fix the god alful lighting in the engine

els.DarkLord
03-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Oh well... since there are still NO other sources around on this, I'll now consider this whole story a really bad joke - until proven otherwise;

- COVER Story!
- 6 full pages preview

-> pretty 'odd' secret link and some other strange stuff

==> BAD joke...

If this turns out to be true that would be a real shame for a once good magazine (haven't read it for some time though)

Prime
03-29-2003, 01:45 PM
For those that haven't seen it, here is the article that is posted on jediknightii.net:

Jedi Knight III Revealed
Developer: Raven Software
Publisher: LucasArts/ Activision
Release: Fall 2003

You know those moments when a simple day is turned into pure excitement? That about sums up my feelings when I went to the mailbox today to grab my issue of Gamestar, Germany’s Number One gaming mag. So I take a look at the cover to see a female Twi’lek wielding two lightsabers! “What the hell” was naturally my first thought before I see the words next to it: Jedi Knight III Revealed. World Exclusive.

So, where to start?
Right, with the story. At the end of Jedi Knight II, Kyle saves Jan from Desann’s claws, and the galaxy from the Doomgiver. Six years later: Kyle is now an instructor at Luke Skywalker’s famous Jedi Academy. Thus, for the first time in the Dark Forces series, you don’t play as Kyle Katarn! Instead, you create a character for yourself. Create? Yes, similar to a role-playing game you choose your characters gender, race (Humans and Twi’leks are confirmed so far) face, hair cut and clothing! And the customization doesn’t end there: you also choose a saber handle, colour and whether you want to use one or two sabers! Later on, you will also get a Darth Maul-style double-bladed saber.

Talking of sabers: Raven Software is trying to put a lot more emphasis on the Jedi’s favourite weapon. While there will still be conventional weapons (even more than in JK II), the current estimate says that around 70% of the game will be spent using a saber. And those 70% look spectacular for sure: according to the article, it will be quite common to face of against several Dark Jedi at once. This is where a new feature of JK III comes into play: you can now combine your force powers! For example, you can fight one enemy with one of your sabres, and at the same time throw the other saber at the next foe! Of course, Raven is adding new force powers to keep the experience fresh for us long-time fans of the series. Other than in JK II, you will now once again be able to choose what skills to advance in one of three levels. And you can choose if you want to follow the path of the light or dark side! This being more than a little touch, Raven promises that the last few levels of the 30-hour campaign will be different for the two sides; same goes for the final cutscene.

Which brings me right to the next cool new feature: missions! For the first time ever in an action-game, you will be able to choose which mission to tackle next! There will be a few key mission you have to do at a certain time, but otherwise, you are free in your decisions. Gamestar expects you to spend the time between missions in the Jedi Academy, from where you start on your missions. As I said there will be key point missions, as well as boss fights and side trek missions will allow you to improve your character, and maybe even pure vehicle missions! While JK II placed several levels in the same location, JK III will mostly be one mission in one location. These locations will be a merry mix of places from the movies, books, comics and new stuff. Examples of locales you will visit during your quest are Tatooine and Hoth (including a little ride on a Taun-Taun!)! Raven promises that the levels will often be twice the size of their JK II counterparts, and filled with life: on Tatooine, you will have to fight of Tusken Raiders, which are busy hunting Jawas (poor little guys always get beat up)!

The game will once again use a heavily-modifed Quake 3 Team Arena engine, as well as all of Raven’s own enhancements to it! Despite its Age, the screenies sure look spectacular! The multi-player part will also be enhanced, and rumours speak of vehicular combat!

And here comes the best part: According to Raven, JK III is 60% done, including story, scripts and levels. So, if everything goes well, you will be able to play it this fall!

Man, coming this fall. This game sounds awesome. I really like the "create your own character" aspect of the game. And vehicular combat? This description makes JO sound like a test run for JO2! Some of these features sound like big improvements as well. I wonder how long it will take people in this forum to start to bash it? :)

Jman3ooo
03-29-2003, 01:51 PM
It sounds awesome...

Wow Witht hat and SW:G my life will be a SW fantasy. For better or for worse.

StormHammer
03-29-2003, 02:20 PM
If this can be confirmed...it's excellent news!!! :D

They've definitely been reading a lot of the feedback on JO, and taken it on board by the sound of it.

All I can say to Raven is... ' Impressive...most impressive!'

DeTRiTiC-iQ
03-29-2003, 02:32 PM
Sounds interesting, i'm worried about the state of multiplayer with all these "improvements", seems to me its going to become too complex for its own good...

But, if Raven actually use the concept of multiplayer tests prior to release, we might just end up with a game we can all enjoy.

Prime
03-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
All I can say to Raven is... ' Impressive...most impressive!' I heartily agree. I think Raven has unfairly been bashed in these forums. First, they created a great game in JO, were active in the community (answering questions, releasing development tools and MP source code), address issues and tried to fix problems (you can decide if they succeeded), and now they appear to be making a game the incorporates much of the feedback from the players. So to you Raven, I say, BRAVO!

master_thomas
03-29-2003, 02:47 PM
If it is true, I may find it hard to wait 6 months, but we still have JK2 to keep us happy until then.

If it is true, :) :) :) :D :D :D.

f it isn't true, :swear:

Prime
03-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Why would they lie? Why? Why? Don't say that!

Hey! I'm a wampa!

The Truthful Liar
03-29-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
But, if Raven actually use the concept of multiplayer tests prior to release, we might just end up with a game we can all enjoy.

Even if the dominating weapon turns out to be the saber? :\

Com Raven
03-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Hey, I am the guy who wrote this up...

A few things: Gamestar has VERY good connections to US devs, and often have exclusive articles and demos...

further, there are some april fool's jokes in this issue, but JK III is real...

The Truthful Liar
03-29-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Com Raven
Hey, I am the guy who wrote this up...

A few things: Gamestar has VERY good connections to US devs, and often have exclusive articles and demos...

further, there are some april fool's jokes in this issue, but JK III is real...

Hi Com Raven, since you have the magazine I was wondering if there was any mention of NRG (Editing team for Jk2) in it or if the NRG Duel Map Pack was available on one of the cds? The reason behind this question is because Gamestar contacted NRG about putting us in their next issue so I'm curious. :-)

DeTRiTiC-iQ
03-29-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by AB_Legion
Even if the dominating weapon turns out to be the saber? :\

meh, can't win 'em all :)

but you never know, saber combat may turn out to be balanced AND fun...

Anakin
03-29-2003, 04:40 PM
I just hope that this time there will be FULL editing support. This will allow us to move the project over from JK2 to JK3 without harming the community.

We are quite shocked at this news and I hope that we will be able to move over, we expect that we will and the staff and myself are commited into creating and end project.

Anakin

BloodRiot
03-29-2003, 05:30 PM
Well... If these rumors are true.. thank god gamedevs for listening to the gammers.

1st point: Why did I (BloodRiot) started on 3d modeling? Answer.. cuz I'm very picky and I like playing with something that apeals to me. Looks like I'll be out of a job with this game hehehe. (I seriously doubt it since I'll probably want ot customize even the customizable stuff lol the challenge never ends) lol.

2nd point: Saber Dueling still has major realism flaws in jk2 in spite of the huge progress since jk1. Perhaps since this game is gonna be spent mostly with the lightsaber in hand... it might do what almost every saber mod tyeam is trying to accomplish for jk2. Im eager to see the results. Just hope they have proper animations for 2 sabers and dual sabers.

As far as vehicle combat... it might not be bad. Heck I luved C&C Renegade MP. It was very fun to play and using vehicles was a blast. Hey.. im a fan of objective based MP.

Heck i could go on for hours... here's hoping this turns out to be both real and grandious.

Cheers all.

The Count
03-29-2003, 05:39 PM
just curious.

Reborn Outcast
03-29-2003, 05:45 PM
I can't seem to find the link... HELP ME!!! I WANT TO SEE IT. WAAAHHHHHH

Hekx
03-29-2003, 05:48 PM
Yes. ;)

Screenshots taken down. Now located over at EchoBase.
Click here (http://www.echonetwork.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=578) to see the screens. ;)

(I would post more, but there's a limit on the number allowed.) ;)

The Count
03-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Holy **** they look amazing, where can I see more?

Canoli edit: Please don't "censor" a curse like that again. Although I do agree with your outburst. ;)

The Truthful Liar
03-29-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Reborn Outcast
I can't seem to find the link... HELP ME!!! I WANT TO SEE IT. WAAAHHHHHH

See what? :|

Reborn Outcast
03-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Oh well everyone was saying something about a 6 page thing that you could read...

*walks out fast*

Bob Gnarly
03-29-2003, 06:08 PM
will it be an expansion or a whole new game?

CreepingDeathNL
03-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Looks great, but is it really JK3? Not an add on to JK2 of some sort?

Hekx
03-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Links taken down. Please check every post with link to view the screenshots.

Hekx
03-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Links taken down. Please scroll up and read earlier post. Thank you.

OnlyOneCanoli
03-29-2003, 06:17 PM
Holy smokes. These look amazing for the Q3 engine. Are they scans from the mag?

Hekx
03-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by OnlyOneCanoli
Holy smokes. These looks amazing for the Q3 engine. Are they scans from the mag? Yeah. Someone sent me the scans of the magazine review.
I cropped the screenshots from it.
I can't read German, so I can't translate the review though. :p

Hekx
03-29-2003, 06:21 PM
From what I've seen, it maybe an expansion. Either that or a game similarly based like JKII. Same engine, more modifications, expanding futher, etc.

^_-
03-29-2003, 06:30 PM
holy **** that is awesome!!!

i see we'll get to play with those poor reborns again :D

SPY: I agree with the ****, but as you should KNOW by now, **** don't fly here... mkay?

Agen
03-29-2003, 06:33 PM
http://www.gamestar.de/images/magazin/popup-bilder/052003_b.jpg

The picture actually looks strangley like a an illustation....

Agen
03-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Hopefully the reborns pull their hoods down so we can see what colour of hair they have :D
argued over this for a long time.

Reborn Outcast
Well they look nice but Hekx... on your 3rd post of pics, look at the one on the right middle... it looks a LOT like the JKO level on Yavin with a little fog added in... hoax?

StormHammer
*drools over keyboard in ecstatic glee*

I have a very good feeling about this... :D

Sleek
03-29-2003, 06:52 PM
Well they look nice but Hekx... on your 3rd post of pics, look at the one on the right middle... it looks a LOT like the JKO level on Yavin with a little fog added in... hoax? I think that they are comparing JK3 and JK2 (JK3 on the left, and JK2 on the right) in those pictures. But, I can't read german so I'm not positive.

«¦gøt ƒørçë?¦»
03-29-2003, 06:53 PM
WOAHHHHHHHHHHHH OMFG IM COUNTING DAYS TILL FALL RIGHT NOW!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ahem,graphics looks freaking awsome man !! :faints after too much non-stop watching: :wakes up 2 hrs later drooling everywhere:

Ne0|eD3N :bot2:

Monkey Mania
03-29-2003, 06:54 PM
I wonder if this is a seperate game or AN OFFICIAL EXPANSION PACK! since it uses the same engine.:D

Hekx
03-29-2003, 06:54 PM
Well they look nice but Hekx... on your 3rd post of pics, look at the one on the right middle... it looks a LOT like the JKO level on Yavin with a little fog added in... hoax? To be honest, it probably is.
That's why JKIII is most probably an expansion. ;)

From what I've read, there should be bigger levels and missions for one planet. So 22 levels = 22 worlds, cool. :)

Bob Gnarly
03-29-2003, 06:55 PM
looks a little liek something....StormHammer would make

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 07:02 PM
You should make a quick geocities web site and post the pics full size. Or send em to me and I will:D

Nookie
03-29-2003, 07:11 PM
^_-

I don't think we'll be able to fight the reborns again, because the 3 last pictures seem to be graphical comparisons between JK3 and JK2. Maybe the one on the JK3 side, next to the padawan Reborn will be the new kind of Dark Jedi recruits or Reborns in JK3. You never know.

And everyone, I believe it isn't an expansion pack, it's a whole new game, because as the summary said, it's on another modified engine, but has completely different features. Expansion packs merely run from the old game files usually.

The graphics do seem to have been improved, but i'm wondering if they'll be good enough to compete with modern day graphics. Especially with BIG maps running on a Quake 3 engine. Sounds a bit worrying.

Pnut_Man
03-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sleek
I think that they are comparing JK3 and JK2 (JK3 on the left, and JK2 on the right) in those pictures. But, I can't read german so I'm not positive.

And I think you're right..

Sorry Hekx, this game is probably not an expansion ;)...It's an official SEQUEL. HELL YA! Thanks for those screenshots Hekx, you've made my day man!

StormHammer
03-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by KingPin
looks a little liek something....StormHammer would make

Not guilty. ;p

But seeing those pics has inspired me again...I can feel the adrenaline rush...and...and...you can expect more fan art coming from this direction soon. :cool:

truminio
03-29-2003, 07:25 PM
The third post of pics is to show the graphic differences between JK2(right) and JK3(left)
the text says:
Innenlevels -> Indoor levels
Außenwelten -> Outdoor levels
Charakterdetails -> model details

There is also a short interview with Steve Raffel in the mag.

~~ truminio

Acrylic
03-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Holy crap. I never played JK or JK2...but I'll definately buy JK3....it looks awesome!

shock ~ unnamed
03-29-2003, 07:31 PM
Things that would suck:

1-If this was a hoax and turned out to just be a mod someone made.

2-If this was a 4/1/2003 joke.

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 07:39 PM
If it is a mod it's a dang good one!

The_One
03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Holy **** they look good - the Quake 3 engine never fails to amaze me!

I can assure you, looking at those screens that this no hoax ;)

Shame about Kyle though, he's finally being wheeled off for someone else. If this thing arrives in Autumn we are gonna have Dark Forces overload. The Dark Forces MOD and JK MOD should be complete. In theory, by Christmas we could be playing all 4 Dark Forces games on the same engine! How cool would that be?

striderx2048
03-29-2003, 07:51 PM
isnt this going to divide the community?

Pnut_Man
03-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Thought this might be something for people to laugh at while celebrating the confirmation of jk3!

http://www.fanta.dk/showmovie.asp?mid=57D01F8F-947F-4F68-8D50-74149CF1EC5A

ENJOY!

The_One
03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
Here's my take on the whole situation. It's very likely a magazine could have gotten an exclusive on a new game. Since we are getting this news from a subscriber to the mag, it is likely the copy arrived several days before it is due to hit the shelves.

By then, we're looking at mid-week next week. LucasArts tend to update and issue press releases on Fridays. So, personally, I reckon we will get official word from LEC at some point next week, most likely Friday.

But this is all good news :)

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
It may. I still play Dark Forces II so I'll probibly still play Jedi Outcast and the new one and Dark Forces. Who knows:confused:

Hekx
03-29-2003, 08:07 PM
Oh, and those are the only size screenshots I could obtain.
Cropped from scanned pages of the Gamestar issue. ;)

Indy4
03-29-2003, 08:09 PM
[Edit - Stormy - already posted by Prime...see his post halfway up this thread. ;) ]

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 08:11 PM
Oh. Could I use them to make a Jedi Knight III fan page?

Indy4
03-29-2003, 08:16 PM
Here are some screenshots

YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi1.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi3.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi12.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi11.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi14.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi2.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi4.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi5.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi6.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi7.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi8.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi9.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi10.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi15.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi17.jpg

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi18.jpg

Hekx
03-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Sure. I would translate the review, if I could read German. :snear:

Just give me credit for the images, since I went through pages having to crop the images. Took me ages.

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 08:35 PM
Could someone please translate the review?

The_One
03-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Things are moving fast now - all the JKIII domain names seem to be reserved :p I reckon we'll see a new addition to the LFN soon :)

Solo4114
03-29-2003, 08:48 PM
Intriguing...

If this is real, here's hoping Raven doesn't screw this one up. A few hints on how to make JKIII more fun than JKII in multiplayer:

1.) MORE GAME MODES. And more DIVERSE game modes. Don't just stick us with more of the same old DM-based crap. That's fine for some, but for others of us, it's getting boring. Try supporting CTF more this time, and maybe, just maybe, give us that SAGA game mode that was supposed to be in development. A class-based game mode would be a welcome change, wherein you could play as a gunner, or force wielder, but not both (or if hybrids are allowed, they aren't masters of either school of weapons). If this is not included, then please, give us some GOOD CTF maps and at least as many as you give DM maps. And don't just make the CTF maps converted DM maps, please.

2.) PLEASE balance the force powers well AND keep them true to the films. HAving people running around whoring pull/push and kick and such gets old VERY fast and really destroys the immersion factor of the game.

3.) Speaking of immersion factor, let's see some more blaster based weapons this time around, and less "flaming plasma ball of death" or "bouncy orbs of exploding death" guns. Try to keep the guns more related to the films. You can still have diversity of weapons and have them perform in a way that sticks with the films. There's nothing wrong with having strong guns in the game, but could we please keep them relatively closely related to the underlying source material this time around??

4.) Sabre combat. Hooboy...if you're basing 70% of the game on sabre combat, let's make DAMN sure that it's done right THE FIRST TIME this time. Towards this end sabres should be pretty much lethal no matter what swing or stance you're using. This means NO UBER MOVES. If you include an uber move that is a quick insta-kill every time, guess what: that's all people will ever use. If you keep all the attacks equal in lethality, people will actually bother to learn some skills at this game, and will take the time to use more than just one move. Sabres should also be able to block, but that blocking should depend on which stance is being used, how you're moving, and perhaps how skilled you are in that stance. At the very least, let's NOT have the random blocking from JKII. Take a look at ProMod for some underlying code ideas. Acrobatics are cool, naturally, but please, no stupid backstab crap, no DFA stuff, etc. Oh, and one last thing: don't make MP combat differ from SP combat. If you let us do it in SP, let us have the ability to do it in MP and have the combat systems work the same (same blocking, attacks, techniques, etc.). If you want to add MORE to the MP (IE: these powers are included in MP only, IN ADDITION to the SP powers), that's cool.

5.) RELEASE IT WHEN IT IS GOOD AND READY. Do NOT kick it out the door early. I for one will not buy an unfinished product. Towards this end, can we please check to see that MP bugs like the original DFA bug and the backstab bug from 1.03 are eliminated the first time around? This will help contribute to keeping the community in relative harmony because they won't have to relearn how to play the game.

6.) RELEASE A PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER DEMO BEFORE YOU PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME. When the hell is LucasArts going to learn that releasing a demo can only HELP your game and your development team??? What is up with releasing a demo months after you've released the game itself?? If you let us play the game in a beta form in the MP demo, guess what, that gives you feedback BEFORE you release the final product, and it lets us playtest and bugtest for you. We'll spot all the little issues that you might miss in Q&A because...well...because we're geeks and that's what we do. :)

And here's hoping someone's actually reading this who has the ability to implement these suggestions. :D

The_Mega_ZZTer
03-29-2003, 08:50 PM
Translate it yourself.

http://www.freetranslation.com/

I think it has German=>English.

Anything it can't figure out is prolly guessable.

Indy4
03-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Jedi Knight IV is registered by Lucasfilm

Lucasfilm Ltd.
Host Master Host Master
P.O. Box 2009
San Rafael, CA 94912
US
Phone: 415-662-1800
Fax..: 415-662-1639
Email: hostmaster@LUCASFILM.COM

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: JEDIKNIGHTIV.COM

Created on..............: Wed, Mar 26, 2003
Expires on..............: Sat, Mar 26, 2005
Record last updated on..: Wed, Mar 26, 2003

Administrative Contact:
Lucasfilm Ltd.
Host Master Host Master
P.O. Box 2009
San Rafael, CA 94912
US
Phone: 415-662-1800
Fax..: 415-662-1639
Email: hostmaster@LUCASFILM.COM

Technical Contact:
Net Searchers International Ltd
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Zone Contact:
Net Searchers International Ltd
Domain Registrar
575 8th Avenue - 11th Floor
New York, NY 10018
US
Phone: 902-749-2701
Fax..: 902-749-5429
Email: domain-registrar@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

NS3.FREESERVERS.COM 208.185.127.196
NS4.FREESERVERS.COM 63.108.71.182

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-29-2003, 08:52 PM
Could someone post the German version then? Maybe?

Sivy
03-29-2003, 08:59 PM
this is such the direction i hoped they would take it.. customisable characters, choice of lightsaber(s)

am i so happy i could cry :D :D

and look! you can hack up some tusken raiders!

StormHammer
03-29-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Indy4
Jedi Knight IV is registered by Lucasfilm

Not only that...you will also find that JEDIKNIGHTV.COM is also registered to LucasFilm. :eek:

Jediknightvi.com is still available, though...

Does this mean they intend to make Jedi Knight III, IV and V?

OMG...that would be incredible! :cool:

DeTRiTiC-iQ
03-29-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Solo4114
Intriguing...

If this is real, here's hoping Raven doesn't screw this one up. A few hints on how to make JKIII more fun than JKII in multiplayer:

1.) MORE GAME MODES. And more DIVERSE game modes. Don't just stick us with more of the same old DM-based crap. That's fine for some, but for others of us, it's getting boring. Try supporting CTF more this time, and maybe, just maybe, give us that SAGA game mode that was supposed to be in development. A class-based game mode would be a welcome change, wherein you could play as a gunner, or force wielder, but not both (or if hybrids are allowed, they aren't masters of either school of weapons). If this is not included, then please, give us some GOOD CTF maps and at least as many as you give DM maps. And don't just make the CTF maps converted DM maps, please.

2.) PLEASE balance the force powers well AND keep them true to the films. HAving people running around whoring pull/push and kick and such gets old VERY fast and really destroys the immersion factor of the game.

3.) Speaking of immersion factor, let's see some more blaster based weapons this time around, and less "flaming plasma ball of death" or "bouncy orbs of exploding death" guns. Try to keep the guns more related to the films. You can still have diversity of weapons and have them perform in a way that sticks with the films. There's nothing wrong with having strong guns in the game, but could we please keep them relatively closely related to the underlying source material this time around??

4.) Sabre combat. Hooboy...if you're basing 70% of the game on sabre combat, let's make DAMN sure that it's done right THE FIRST TIME this time. Towards this end sabres should be pretty much lethal no matter what swing or stance you're using. This means NO UBER MOVES. If you include an uber move that is a quick insta-kill every time, guess what: that's all people will ever use. If you keep all the attacks equal in lethality, people will actually bother to learn some skills at this game, and will take the time to use more than just one move. Sabres should also be able to block, but that blocking should depend on which stance is being used, how you're moving, and perhaps how skilled you are in that stance. At the very least, let's NOT have the random blocking from JKII. Take a look at ProMod for some underlying code ideas. Acrobatics are cool, naturally, but please, no stupid backstab crap, no DFA stuff, etc. Oh, and one last thing: don't make MP combat differ from SP combat. If you let us do it in SP, let us have the ability to do it in MP and have the combat systems work the same (same blocking, attacks, techniques, etc.). If you want to add MORE to the MP (IE: these powers are included in MP only, IN ADDITION to the SP powers), that's cool.

5.) RELEASE IT WHEN IT IS GOOD AND READY. Do NOT kick it out the door early. I for one will not buy an unfinished product. Towards this end, can we please check to see that MP bugs like the original DFA bug and the backstab bug from 1.03 are eliminated the first time around? This will help contribute to keeping the community in relative harmony because they won't have to relearn how to play the game.

6.) RELEASE A PUBLIC MULTIPLAYER DEMO BEFORE YOU PUT OUT THE DAMN GAME. When the hell is LucasArts going to learn that releasing a demo can only HELP your game and your development team??? What is up with releasing a demo months after you've released the game itself?? If you let us play the game in a beta form in the MP demo, guess what, that gives you feedback BEFORE you release the final product, and it lets us playtest and bugtest for you. We'll spot all the little issues that you might miss in Q&A because...well...because we're geeks and that's what we do. :)

And here's hoping someone's actually reading this who has the ability to implement these suggestions. :D

Wow, I actually agree with you here. The idea of removing special moves from saber combat is a good one, there aren't "special uber moves" in swordfighting, there are attacks of opportunity. Maybe have it so that if you successfully execute a combo of attacks that are blocked (not parried) then you sufficiently weaken the enemies standing so that you can execute an overall more lethal attack. Ie there are attacks can't be blocked, but they are only accessible as a finishing move, like in a real swordfight.

If you get my drift...

truminio
03-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Lord_Plo_Koon
Could someone post the German version then? Maybe?
Here (http://www.geocities.com/enceler/) you can find the german text and the scanned images in the original size

Aoshi
03-29-2003, 09:57 PM
well it's been rumored that this game will be on the D3 engine not Q3. also each map is supposed to be able to support 128 (64 vs 64) players.... hope these maps dont become more windy than chicago. also this is an entirely new game not an expansion pack (which is also rumored to be in the works). in anycase most of this stuff isnt idle speculation and if i remember correctly alot of the game's development is going to be in europe so naturally a euro mag would have it first.

Bart Skywalker
03-29-2003, 10:07 PM
I hope you will be able to fly ships. I took a Lucasarts survey about JKIII and said I wanted ships most of all. I hope they listened.

P.S. Did anyone else take the survey? If yes, are any of the features said to be in it ones that you wanted?

Jrob
03-29-2003, 10:40 PM
If you are using Windows XP right click the german page and scroll down to translate page. It will then read in english.

ZBomber
03-29-2003, 11:02 PM
Yeh, but i want Kyle... :(

^_-
03-29-2003, 11:04 PM
Well they look nice but Hekx... on your 3rd post of pics, look at the one on the right middle... it looks a LOT like the JKO level on Yavin with a little fog added in... hoax? nah the green isn't green enough. its not that map either, the pillars are round in that shot, and are much wider

[edit] nevermind i looked at the second set lol! my bad

^_-
03-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Nookie
^_-

I don't think we'll be able to fight the reborns again, because the 3 last pictures seem to be graphical comparisons between JK3 and JK2. Maybe the one on the JK3 side, next to the padawan Reborn will be the new kind of Dark Jedi recruits or Reborns in JK3. You never know.

And everyone, I believe it isn't an expansion pack, it's a whole new game, because as the summary said, it's on another modified engine, but has completely different features. Expansion packs merely run from the old game files usually.

The graphics do seem to have been improved, but i'm wondering if they'll be good enough to compete with modern day graphics. Especially with BIG maps running on a Quake 3 engine. Sounds a bit worrying. well. i don't recognize the top and bottom pics on the right (texture or structure wise)

boinga1
03-29-2003, 11:18 PM
hmmm...sounds a lot like KOTOR, looks a lot like a jk2 mod. very intriguing.

boinga1
03-29-2003, 11:21 PM
i just read the thing is 60% done, and we may be playing in the fall!! i don't really buy that though-there hasn't even been any official kind of announcement. when is e3 2003?

Reborn Outcast
03-29-2003, 11:25 PM
Ohhh ok good. I was starting to think it was all a hoax. That would have sucked. :D

master_thomas
03-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Aoshi, I think I heard it's on another modified Quake 3 engine. Where so you get these rumors?

Expansion pack? Where did you hear that? :D That can sustain us with fresh jedi knight until Autumn, when it is supposed to be released.

I wonder when they'll release a basic storyline. First DF game not to be played as Katarn:(. Oh well, he'll probably be important anyway (I think I heard that you are one of his students in JK3)

Originally posted by Solo4114
Intriguing...

Woah, you know what you want, don't you? SAGA has been done and there was a released map of it, but I haven't seen any others. I agree with you. Who could argue with the demo release, but wouldn't a multiplayer demo have to be a bot match, otherwise half of te servers would be demos.

JKV.com has been registered by Lucasfilm? :eek: Already? :D That's reassurance that it won't end there.

Fastest growing thread EVER. +45 posts in one day! Everyone wants JK3. I wonder how many threads on this subject there will be until Fall. Then, it will have its own forum.

Chandler
03-29-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Bart Skywalker
P.S. Did anyone else take the survey? If yes, are any of the features said to be in it ones that you wanted?

Yeah, I took the survey ;). When I was reading the summary of the JKIII features I could not believe it... I still can't. So many of them are things I had planned to do in Rebel Operations, such as the character creation and non-linear missions. Wow :eek:. Well, less coding for us I guess :cool:.

Star Gamer
03-29-2003, 11:43 PM
This is a realy cool looking game! I am usaly more interisted in Star Trek but for this I might go to the "Dark Side"! (no offence to Star Wars Geeks). :lightning

Acrylic
03-29-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by shock ~ unnamed
I think the chance of a German publication getting the scoop on a state side release is pretty slim but you never know.
:cool:

Well, my dad goes to yugoslavian sites, (were yugo) anyways, he goes there to get info on the war and stuff. they tell more there than they do here in the US...:confused:

RaptorII
03-30-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Bart Skywalker
I hope you will be able to fly ships. I took a Lucasarts survey about JKIII and said I wanted ships most of all. I hope they listened.

I'll go out on a limb here, since it is obviously still the Quake3 engine (:() and say that most likely there won't be... and if there are, they won't be very spectacular. Think swimming with more health a model around you, and a mounted weapon.

Frankly, I hope this time around Raven will actually release the recourses needed for real mods to be made, unlike what they did with JK2, and obviously Lucas Arts didn't seem to care enough to push for it.

Another thing, you will notice the frown about the Quake3 engine. Sure, it is cheaper, and faster, because they don't have to license another engine and create all new resources, but there are various problems with the Quake3 engine, that I haven't seen any game correct, in this case mainly with the lighting, specifically, dynamic lighting. Mind you, when you shell out the cash for the license (Which I am sure because Activision publishes for id, the cost is minimal), you get the full engine source, so you can change it all you want.

Has anyone else noticed that when they use their lightsaber, it doesn't light up a dark room? Do you wonder why? Quake3 has this nasty little problem with the dynamic lighting model. The engine wasn't made for dark places, and as such it wasn't really a big problem. You see (for anyone familiar with Photoshop, you will be able to visualize this), Quake3's dynamic lighting using a multiplicative algorithm. What this means is that when you have a dynamic light, the color and “brightness” is multiplied against the lighting and surface it is contacting. So, if you have a room with patches of lighting, or texture color (Which are combined to create the rendered surface which is then used as the base brightness) less than a unit of “1,” (Which is actually 255, or white) there is a nasty problem. You see, if any RGB-L(luminosity) value is less than pure white on the rendered pixel before the lighting, you will end up with the dynamic lighting, actually making whatever is below it, darker.

Here are examples from an old screenshot where even the sabers them selves were using multiplicative filtering. What I have done is just created a second layer and either multiplied, or added, except on the "normal" one.

Normal (Nothing done) (http://www.jediknightii.net/screenshots/screen046.jpg)
Multiplied (http://raptorii.afkic.org/art/screen046-mul.jpg)
Additive (Photoshop Screen) (http://raptorii.afkic.org/art/screen046-add.jpg)

As you can see, there is clearly a difference. Most new game engines use additive lighting, or some form of it for their lighting techniques. You can see clearly why it is an advantage. One, it actually lightens the area, and two, it is actually easier to calculate, even for a computer adding is easier. This is, as far as I can tell, what the lightsaber it self uses to blend in the retail release of JK2, yet as you can see, the dynamic lighting does not. Sure it is easier to change the code for a shader than it is to change the code in the engine, but isn’t it worth it? You can see the problems even in official maps, although it was never a gameplay problem.

I guess you could say it was just another thing Raven didn’t do that limited what people could do with the game. I seriously hope that it is rectified; as well as some other much more minor faults that I can still see in the JK3 screenshots. (Such as the lightsaber blur’s abrupt stop when pausing.)

Bottom line, in JK3, what I want to see, is additive lighting (a minor engine change as far as I can tell), as well as the following:

The entire source (not the engine it self) for the game, single player and multiplayer released.

Model animation source and format data, as well as a greater community focus, IE Lucas Arts and Raven not totally ignoring fans pleads for things like the single player and modifiable animation source.

Many mods overlooked the Quake3 engine just because of the dynamic light problem. JK2 has many others.

But who am I? A famous mod maker; an industry insider; A fan that just wishes for once an out of house, multi-licensed game would be treated like something other than just an instant moneymaker but will not even come close to having his wishes listened to or implemented?

I think we know the answer to that one. But for the sake of the argument, let’s say I am both A, B, and C, just so I have some credibility.

And for the record, I am not some raving Star Wars zealot. Frankly, I am just sick of the Quake3 engine sitting around with hardly any real changes being done to it. I am a fan however, but I really could care less about sticking to what George Lucas has said and written, or says he had, years after the fact. I just want one Star Wars game, that can actually be all that it can be, as well as being very modifiable, even if allowing mods could possibly mean that mods could go against what is official! (OH NO!#!$!) That isn't to say, that that is actually the reason JK2 was limited, just throwing it out there however.

KotOR is probably going to be a great Star Wars game, but modifiability will not going to exist, JK3 has potentially re-opened the doors for the current community and future mods. I just hope the door isn’t once again, slammed in everyone’s faces.

Here's to hope. *raises can of pop/soda*

dark jedi 8
03-30-2003, 12:06 AM
oooohhhhhhhhh, sweet, kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the screens are awesome!!!!!!!!

i'm gonna go find a german tutor tomorrow!!!!! j/k:D:D

but all aside, this will be the best game ever! maybe except for KOTOR.!

boinga1
03-30-2003, 12:07 AM
y'know...taven might just drop the bomb on us oin a couple of day's witha great big

APRIL FOOL'S!

Reborn Outcast
03-30-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by master_thomas
Fastest growing thread EVER. +45 posts in one day! Everyone wants JK3. I wonder how many threads on this subject there will be until Fall. Then, it will have its own forum.

Mine in Yoda's Swamp on "Who Am I" got 250+ posts in 1 day. :D

Burrito
03-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Two days to go - an we will know more!

http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/
(This is a "secret" link hidden in the Gamestar JK3 preview)

Emon
03-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Edit: It is possible that this is real, but for LEC to not announce it and it only be on one site, have incredible resemblence to JO and KotOR, and be very close to April Fool's day...

Reasons why this is a hoax:

It's close to April Fool's day.

LucasArts is infamous for wanting to make the most amount of money possible. The earlier a game is announced, the more attention and hype it attracts which ultimately leads to more money. LucasArts would never announce a game so late, especially when it's 60% done.

LucasArts didn't even announce it.

The Twi'Lek model looks incredibly similar to the Twi'Lek model for JO.

The lightsaber and blaster effects look incredibly similar to JO. Infact, they are identicle.

It's close to April Fool's day.

LucasArts wants money. Lots of money.

wassup
03-30-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Burrito
Two days to go - an we will know more!

http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/
(This is a "secret" link hidden in the Gamestar JK3 preview)

Also the date in that link is 4/1/2003. I would look like this--->:mad: if this is a hoax.

*Readys lightsaber to storm Gamestar's office (in the possibility that this is false) :saberb: :dsaber:

RaptorII
03-30-2003, 12:37 AM
To those who really think this is an April fools joke all together (The screenshots may or may not be), Activision slipped word of a new Jedi Knight game about a month ago, which seems a bit early for something that would be a massive multi-corporation April Fools Joke.

Activision publishes for id (Who made and own the Quake3 engine which JK2 and what seems to be JK3 is based on), and is the main corporate buddy for Raven. Lucas Arts would do most of the legal type deal making through Activision.

The models do look higher quality, sort of along the level between ST: Elite Force, and Elite Force 2... they both use the Quake3 engine, but are made for different levels of systems. That and, to make the most money may not have all to do with when they announce something, rather than just saving money by having Raven re-use and build upon what they made for JK2.

The character customization may seem beyond the scope of the engine, but skin color could be done using a back to front end line in the config that would tell a shader what to do. Pretty much using the same config back-front end link, they can make "variable" lines in the model's shaders to make parts of models appear or not exist, like bags, belts, shoulder pads etc, that can be seen in many custom Quake3 models, although it is more of a per-skin thing.

Besides, they would probably wait for E3, when they really can get the word out. How many times has Lucas Arts announced games recently, NOT at E3?

If you must, I suppose you could probably think of JK3 like a standalone add-on, which have become all the rage. (Mainly because they can charge $50 for them, and stores are more likely to carry them because of that. Retail stores are why $20 add-on packs don't exist anymore, $30 is the minimum it seems.)

Mumm-Ra
03-30-2003, 01:08 AM
1.) I hope this IS a joke

2.) Because it's way, way, way too early for JK3 and when they do make it it needs to be a much more significant jump in technology.

3.) I was just thinking a few days ago that I hoped Raven would make an expansion pack for JK2, like Mysteries of the Sith for JK1.

4.) Nobody who has been with the series long should be upset if they do make an expansion and it isn't Kyle... it wasn't Kyle in MOTS.

5.) boinga1, is your icon racist???

Valo
03-30-2003, 01:23 AM
this is going to work out sooooooo good for me, by next fall i will be off at college with a brand new computer and a DSL connection, ahhhh i cant wait. finally we will be able to create our very own jedi, and hopefully be able to use them in Multiplayer. do u even realize how fun it is going to be fighting al these jedi across the world with double and double bladed lightsabers.

and i will alos finally be able to chop up some Tuskin Raiders Anakin Skywalker style.

ryudom
03-30-2003, 01:40 AM
detritic, i agree, i was think of something like that heh. one can only hope heh

Monkey Mania
03-30-2003, 01:48 AM
THIS IS A HOAX!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!

Jawa model-already made
tusken model-already made
twi'lek model-already made
double bladed saber?-already modded
smooth saber tips-already modded
2 lightsabers-already modded
secret site says april 1st!!!!

uh oh......:eek:

WhiteShark
03-30-2003, 01:53 AM
:drop2:

These pics rock

I can't wait to make my own jedi and my lightsaber

JK 3

will rock

:D

and I wanna kill :jawa 's and :craider: 's

everyone who didn't posted yet, but thinks the same like we all

should post, please

Pnut_Man
03-30-2003, 01:53 AM
You bums, this isn't a hoax...

Plus the models in the screenshots are a higher resolution in detail than the ones released in the community (no offense to model makers).

Monkey Mania
03-30-2003, 01:57 AM
How do you know? the screens are in low res....:(

ryudom
03-30-2003, 01:59 AM
not the same models, not the same maps, you can tell its totally differant...

wassup
03-30-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú

http://hekx.cjb.net/jk3/Jedi14.jpg

Double throwing lightsabers...sweet...

*drowns in my drool

ARagerCool
03-30-2003, 02:13 AM
Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but I left window for the link http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/ open, and then after some time the screen changed and went to this image: http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/2.htm Check out the image there. Does anybody have any idea what that may be?

Shadow Blight
03-30-2003, 02:16 AM
All I can say is that 2003 should be caled the "year of the Jedi..."
Starwars galixies, Kights of the old republic and now JediKnightIII:)

Boba Rhett
03-30-2003, 02:22 AM
April 1st....

This can't be just a coincidence. :(

wassup
03-30-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by ARagerCool
Okay, I'm not sure if anyone else caught this, but I left window for the link http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/ open, and then after some time the screen changed and went to this image: http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/2.htm Check out the image there. Does anybody have any idea what that may be?

Rancor most likely...or another Barney? (Desann joke) :D

master_thomas
03-30-2003, 02:24 AM
I've never heard of or seen any model like that. Body of a fish, size of a gorilla, eyes of an insect, hands of an iguana. Lovely :rolleyes: :barf:

Some of those pictures do look higher quality than JK2.

I agree with wassup. Looks like a rancor.

PerfectJamie
03-30-2003, 02:24 AM
wow! just what I wanted, ever since I herd of Jk2 I wanted these stuff and now....I have my assasins stationed around lucas arts, just in case this is a hoax :p

AridSunCrusher
03-30-2003, 03:04 AM
wow, dark forces 4 already?! man does time fly. :(

JK3 looks like it will be as much an evolution from JO, as JO was from JK:DF2. I was absolutely blown away by Jedi outcast after playing knight. From looking at those pimp screens, it looks like JK3 might just give JO, and all previous dark forces installments a run for their money. Let's hope.

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 03:48 AM
More screenshots soon, apparently :)

inbredyokel
03-30-2003, 04:56 AM
It doesn't look like much of a technological jump at all. It's obviously the same engine, simply better utilized. While the pictures are very small and only give a glimpse of the game, they aren't very impressive and can't hold a candle to some of the great models and maps we've seen released. I just hope this game actually has new depth, and doesn't just make the superficial changes that the screens show off. What will be the point of having 2 lightsabers, a double bladed lightsaber, or any new features for that matter if they're useless, unbalanced, or only serve to make the game look pretty?

shock ~ unnamed
03-30-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
April 1st....

This can't be just a coincidence. :(

/me smells BS as well...

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 05:31 AM
So why exactly do you male people *cackles* smell BS? Just like guys. Just...argue, argue, argue...instead of just waiting for an issue to take shape. I'm willing to make a guess that several people may already be making monetary bets on whether or not those screenshots are actually authentic. ;) *smirks* At least, it wouldn't suprise me. Patience is a virtue unlike any other. Wait. Watch. Listen. Don't start yelling "BS!" before you see more evidence. The shots are low resolution, but look somehow spectacular. Yes, they're bound to look similar because they are running on the same engine as JK2. HOWEVER, I recall John Carmack scrapping the Quake 3 engine and starting with a bare-bones (or something close) version of it to turn it into the Doom 3 engine (eh, don't quote me on it). Who's the say that Raven won't do the same? These are only a few shots. Any higher-resolution scans? :) :) :) And the April Fools thing...that's TOO easy. As one of you pointed out, that would be one BIG A** JOKE. It would also piss off LOTS of people (such as myself ;)). Are...those shots from Gamestar, by the way? I can't find any bookstore that sells the magazine (I'm in Texas...heh). Too...much...caffiene...*passes out* man...I think one of my classmates drugged my coffee this morning...

The Truthful Liar
03-30-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Dark Cloak
Are...those shots from Gamestar, by the way?

Yes.

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 05:55 AM
Aaaah, cool. I wish I could get that magazine here. I always pick up CGW and PC Gamer every month. Speaking of which, I wonder if they're going to have any bits about this in their magazines. It would be interesting, I think.

XeNsion
03-30-2003, 05:58 AM
They said it isnt a April Fools Day joke, but on that side there will be some extra content.

And in a Interview in that Review Raven says it is using the Q3-Engine because it is so familar with is.

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 06:08 AM
I can see that. I mean...it's a cool engine. It has the ability to be reworked completely (or at least to a point). About the dynamic lighting, though...um...yeah...I don't think it's gonna be happening, unless Raven bumps the thing up a few notches. But then again, it's Star Wars. When have you notcied a time in the Star Wars universe (I'm going to get slain for asking this) when there has been dynamic lighting? One, maybe two scenes? Three, if I'm not remembering one. The rest is all big battles where there are lots of flashes, explosions, etc. I don't see a need for dynamic lighting except for player shadows. The thing I want to see in JK3...which I'm fairly sure the Q3 engine is NOT capable of...is RAGDOLL PHYSICS!!! DEAR GOD can't Raven PLEASE incorperate RAGDOLL PHYSICS? *giggle...blush*

CreepingDeathNL
03-30-2003, 06:12 AM
Considering that secret site someone just posted I think we can conclude that it IS an april fools' joke.

Jedi Knight 3 is a Hoax. BUT,
I think it is possible though that it very well could be an add on.

Evidence:
- The Screenies show a lot of similarity between JK2 and "JK3", it could be an evolutionary process ofteen seen in add ons.
- The "JK3" menu system is identical to JK2.
- The Story has this "add-on" feel going on, not being the main character and all...
- "JK3" is already suposedly 60% finished, that means they have used a LOT of the JK2 code. Again, more likely for that to be an add on.

It might also be possible that they're doing a JK2 mod preview. Does anyone know if this magazine does anything like that?

Darth berserker
03-30-2003, 06:17 AM
The screenies are nice, I can't wait to run around as a twi'lek and kill sandpeople...

XeNsion
03-30-2003, 06:19 AM
If someone has a fast webspace, then i could upload the whole review.

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 06:20 AM
It's impossible to say with complete confidence that this is a hoax without hearing anything official from Raven (unless I've missed something...haven't read the article...can't read German). What I mean is, big names associated with Raven declaring publicly that this IS or IS NOT a hoax. It's impossible to tell. This is the "Information Age". Word gets around FAST. Wouldn't Raven had already [CENSORED] on this if it WAS a hoax?

CreepingDeathNL
03-30-2003, 06:27 AM
Maybe they're in on it. JK3 publicity is better, gets around faster, than JK2 add on news. We'll see.

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 06:39 AM
The game menu's the same coz it was a good game menu, and its the same game engine...

Why reinvent the wheel? :)

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 06:45 AM
Dang. Now I'm arguing like a guy. See what you made me do?? j/k (no pun intended). ;) You're right, CreepingDeathNL... we'll see... *pause...blink* ... Shouldn't I...like...laugh evily now...or something?
But...yes. Can anybody vouch for the authenticity of the magazine? I'll keep an open mind. And to be honest...I'd be weary no matter WHAT magazine did an entire cover story for JK3...even if it was CGW or PCGamer...but I'm with GonkH8er. Why reinvent the wheel? Well...add ragdoll physics to the wheel. :)

Kurgan
03-30-2003, 06:56 AM
An April Fool's joke 2 days eary isn't an April Fool's joke, and the source is a german mag (those guys seem to be fairly reliable when it comes to Jedi rumors), so I'd say its probably real.

But it definately looks like an expansion... I mean where's Kyle or Jan?

A female Twi'Lek Jedi and what looks to be some other alien in single player... its got Expansion written all over it. Glad to see we'll be getting more SP levels (unlike the EF expansion which was MP focused, with just that voyager tour level for SP). Technology-wise, I'd concur with those saying it just looks better implemented, not revolutionary or a new engine, from these brief scanned screenshots.

And now, the craptastic Babelfish translation (unedited sorry):

This is the text from the German likes gamestar the situation seems offering no prospects:

Five dark Jedis surround us, which gezueckt weapons.
But we only smile cold and activate our two laser swords. While we repel the attacks with very fast, we let the other one fly as from charm hand by the opponent rows. Only an adversary remaining - behind us! We get deeply air, run perpendicularly the wall highly, repel us and land with a Salto behind our astonished enemy. Invisible hands pack its throat, lift it over the close abyss and leave loose...

This scene could originate smoothly from that episode 3-Drehbuch von George Lucas, describes however a typical game situation from Jedi Knight 3. The newest co-operation of LucasArts and Raven concentrates on spectacularly choreographierte light sword duels; boring standard shootings decrease for it in meaning. GameStar was locally in the Wisconsin/USA, as the long time secret Action Blockbuster was revealed Kyle as a veteran we to remind us: Our favourite light sword oscillator Kyle Katarn in Jedi Knight 2 its last large adventure experienced about eight years after the battle around Endor and the death of the Imperators (star Wars 6). Completely besides it won its lost believed Jedi forces back, entriss its friend January Ors the claws of the echsenkoepfigen upper rogue Desann and saved the universe from the imperial super weapon Doomgiver. The Story of Jedi Knight 3 begins some years later. Kyle closed finally its peace with power. Together with hatch Skywalker it informs the Padawan new generation in the Jedi academy on Yavin. The new adventure begins directly with a strong surprise. Kyle Katarn leaves for the first time in the Jedi Knight history the main role to another hero, instead you begin as its talented pupil. First your Jedi training stands on the time table, under the watchful eyes of hatch and Kyle. Smaller orders, until you finally uncover an enormous conspiracy, follow - as it could be different - the entire galaxy threatened. More do not want to betray Raven and LucasArts yet. However did Jedi Knight 3-Projektleiter Steve Raffel that we will experience surprising idioms in the planned 30 play hours of history nearly complete well-known star the Wars universe to visit and clearly more than already in Jedi Knight 2nd Jedi Modedesigner as see he out, promise us the new Jedi hero? You determine that completely alone! From a multiplicity of trousers, jackets, shoes and uniforms cutters it a topmodisches future knight costume. Now only a tasteful colour combination selected, and your hero (or dear heroine?) Wars gangway is ready for the star. Which Klamotten lies in the shelf, depends crucially on the origin of your Jedis. Raven confirmed two races with humans and Twi'Lek only. We count on three further and already look forward however at least to the first Wookie with rosa Zottelfell. Spielerisch do not differ the peoples however. Then the choice of the own laser sword follows. Both color and grasp Design may select you. First you tinker only a conventional a hand light sword. Who works however in the campaign, a double sword model may sketch later, how it uses also Darth muzzle in episode l. Prefer against it the combat style of Anakin Skywalker in episode 2, fuchteln you also equivalent two self-'s building blade around sword or Wumme the prettiest laser sword use few, if one cannot use it styleful. If Jedi Knight 2 was still primarily a Ego Shooter with occasional sword inserts, the successor concentrates on film-ripe close-in engagement duels with the Jedi Lieblingswaffe. One experiences presumably approximately 70 per cent of the play from the pursuer perspective with the sword in the hand.

However you can change still at any time into the Ego opinion and let weapons such as Wookie Armbrust or storm troop rifle speak. Raven wants to even still develop the Wummen repertoire opposite the twelve knarren of the predecessor. Constant ammunition scarceness and clearly more Jedi enemies are to force you however nevertheless to the constant sword employment fights as presented in the cinema than Raven Boss Steve Raffel us the first laser sword duel, mutate our office chair smoothly to the cinema armchair; Close-in engagements of Jedi Knight 3 remind astonishing of that-spectacular duel between Obi Wan Kenobi, Qui qui-Gon Jinn and Darth muzzle in episode 1. Our hero strikes Salti or escapes from hostile attacks with a soil role. It lets swords circle its around itself and chokes at the same time an enemy by power grasp. Raven has the maneuver number increased by more than the double on the simple control is however for nothing to change. Defend functioned still automatically, and the program selects the suitable attack depending upon opponent position as for instance a surprising sword impact to the rear. However because of the three combat styles (in-handle, two-handedly, two swords) the duels will already play themselves very fastidiously. So owners of double sword can deactivate a side, in order to win at speed. Fighters with two a hand swords defend themselves with the weapon and let the other one toward opponents fly. Nice support at matrix: Jedi Knight 3 produces particularly spectacular actions styleful in slow motion. Mission liberty large innovation in your Jedi career: Instead of stubbornly mission for mission, decide you abzuspulen on your next destination. This nonlinear campaign of Jedi Knight 3 is a genuine new fact in the Actionspiel category. Nevertheless history is to run at least just as dramatically as in the predecessor. As functions, Raven keeps still secret. Steve Raffel nevertheless betrays so much: "you have missions, which advance the Story, and you have orders, her with lives fill." We assume that you will select from the Jedi school the next employment, either on a galaxy map or by discussions with masters and colleagues. Some tasks are key missions, which help the action. Others serve simply for the maintenance as well as the development your play figure. All orders have however one together: The club-hard puzzles from the second part land on the space cemetery. Jedi Knight 3 wants to concentrate primarily on Action. Times you look on Tatooine in Jawa Sandcrawlern for missed Droiden, times save you to civilians from a hungry Rancor. And afterwards you complete an employment at the side of hatch Skywalker, with which as only weapon your laser sword is available. Outside and interior scenes are to hold themselves approximately the balance. Additionally Raven plans crack-industrial union-short special missions, for instance the fight against a final opponent or a pure vehicle level. Power development who with the Imperium puts on itself, should not only well laser-fences, but also powerfully power to use. Therefore Raven wants to clearly develop the repertoire at Jedi forces. Many abilities, which there were with Jedi Knight 2 only in the Multiplayer mode, may use you now also in the solo adventure. "view" puts for instance a bright field around all opponents, so that you can recognize your enemies also by walls - practically for a maintained bogenwurf with the light sword. In addition power forces are to be able to be combined in the future: Who activates "jump" and "speed" at the same time, overcomes even the deepest abyss. Owing to improved AI itself however also your opponents of the risen power possibilities are fully conscious and even co-operate: While a Jedi carries you by grasp into air, dissipates other lightnings - like the Imperator in the final of star Wars 6.

In part of 2 your power development was still firmly given, in Jedi Knight 3 decides you, which abilities learn you or in up to three stages to develop. Depending upon desire your hero flirts rather with the dark or the bright side of power - with dramatic effects on history. So the last missions for good and bad Jedis are to play themselves completely differently. Accordingly Raven plans equal two final sequences. Jawa hunt of the predecessors achieved one in the test accurately one year ago Ga-meStar for special atmosphere. It looks everything like the fact that Raven defends this honor. Because the levels shown spray an extra portion star Wars Flair already now. Sand people do not only hunt you in the desert of Tatooine, but also those everywhere herumwuselnden Jawas. The appearance of the dreadful Ran cor (see box P. 55) earns a play OSCAR already now. And in the tendencyful dark temple plants the surrenden laser swords produce an impressing Lightshow with goose skin warranty. Amazingly, which for power reserves Raven still from the Quake 3-Technik kit tent: More highly dissolved textures as well as an intensified use of Curved Surfaces and Specular Mapping almost get the distance to the unreal engine up. For the external worlds Raven uses developed terrain system from Soldier OF Fortune 2, which permits a clearly closer vegetation. Jedi tourism the levels of Jedi Knight 3 are multicolored star a Wars mixture made of film -, Comic and book scenes plus unite self-creations. Raven attaches thereby much importance on alternation: Instead of changing as in the predecessor only all three to four missions the location, you are in the third part in the case of nearly each order new objects of interest to admire. Beside the desert planets Tatooine as well as the usual outguard and temple plants will visit Jedi jedi-Krieger for the first time also the ice planet Hoth - scene of the enormous battle from the Imperium strikes back. The enormous levels of Jedi Knight 2 obtained a episches play feeling, nervten however also occasionally with unnecessary Latschereien and Logikschnitzern. Despite allegedly partly twice as large play worlds Raven wants to avoid these problems in the third part. On the one hand there is to be usually several ways to the goal, approximately with or without power employment. On the other hand you may use substantially more means of transport. Thus the ice deserts of Hoth on the back of the pelzigen riding animal lose Tauntaun already much from their fright. And on Tatooine you will surely be allowed to fly like the young hatch with the Speeder new Multiplayer modes to statement of Raven are Jedi Knight 3 to 60 per cent finished. The work on Story, script sequences and levels is so well finally, now concentrates the developers in Wisconsin primarily on opponent AI and mission Design. Raven with new play variants wants to develop the Multiplayer mode. We assume strongly that it will give among other things vehicle duels. Without a cooperative mode as in NO One Lives Forever 2 we must do however. Since LucasArts is awake extremely strictly over its newest baby, we were allowed to turn still no video. Look forward however to first moved pictures of the Action Blockbusters in the framework our detailed E3-Berichterstattung!

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 06:57 AM
Few things: those three shots are indeedn comparisons between JK II and JK III...

Also, for the goddamn ****ing last time: THIS IS NO HOAX!!

Gamestar already had bix exclusive stuff before, and never did they have an hoax article in an april issue...

Seeing how they use Quake III engine again, it is very possible that the game will be realeased in fall, as they have 36 guys working on it...

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 07:02 AM
This is no april fools joke...

Also, the game is based on the Quake 3 TA engine, with thge usual GHOUL enhancements from Raven...

And it is nothing unusual for a big company to secure copyrights and domains long before you actually need them...

Kurgan
03-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Interesting highlights:

Three saber modes: single, double, and two lightsabers (if I interpret that correctly... does this mean that the "normal" three styles are not there?)

You can customize your character (in single player as well?) and choose your saber hilt.

More drivable vehicles, possibly a speeder or taun taun.

More Jedi enemies, but guns are still useful.

Rancors! Lots of rambling missions... sounds like MotS to me!

Seeing and other powers available in SP (finally!).

Selectable missions.

You can go over to the Darkside (!!!).

Use of "Curved surfaces" and better terrain engine and other features.

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 07:11 AM
Exactly. I doubt this is a hoax. Whether or not it is an expansion remains to be seen. My guess is that it's the actual game. Yes, the focus of the Dark Forces series has been on Kyle Katarn, but that doesn't mean that he has to take the spotlight the entire time. Somebody could just as easily make a Dark Forces game in which Jan is the main character. Plus, why would a magazine interview Raven and call it Jedi Knight 3 if this was an expansion?

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Exactly...

This is the next game in the Jedi Knight series.

Kurgan
03-30-2003, 07:16 AM
The germans are always on top of this sort of thing.

Ever since the "decapitation screenshot" and "Eddie Wan Kenobi in da hooooooooooouse" I have trusted them completely. ; )

Besides, it can't be an April Fool's, since you can only do those ON April 1st, not before.

One thing I'd wish for is a Q3-style keyserver for multiplayer. Maybe that'd cut down on some of the lamers...

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 07:20 AM
One more question...and then bed. It's 5:11 AM...are the screens posted the only ones in the magazine? I'm...kinda remembering someone said they weren't. Or something.

Kurgan
03-30-2003, 07:26 AM
That's one fast sequel... but if you say so! ; )

Nm about the translation, I see I missed your article!

I hate being sick.... ; p

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Bah, germans! :)

I mean, yes :D

As much as you all think it's a joke, I'm pretty certain it's not. I know they're up to something Lucasarts related at Raven, and this is probably it, unless someones gone to the trouble of editing the JK2 menu to a character customization setup screen... and I cant see that happening for just a joke.

besides, the texture and mapping looks pretty good in these shots, and that double sabered block isnt in any of the mods which emulate double sabers...

You can bet your bottom dollar, or your top dollar for those of you who arent cheap :), that this is the real deal.... and you can count on us to supply up to date information, as it comes out, to keep you tickled pink (god, i sound like some crappy american cable news channel :D)

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 08:17 AM
Why would one of europe's best selling PC mags risk its credibility for a dumb joke?

They wouldn't...

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 08:20 AM
there are 2 or so more screenies...

It's a series showing how the Rancor comes around a corner and attacks you...

The_One
03-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
"Eddie Wan Kenobi in da hooooooooooouse"

Heh, I'm never gonna forget that one :p Highlight of the weeks before JKII was released.

On the domain thing - they will have reserved them just incase they want to ever come back and make more sequels. They know JKII is their biggest Star Wars franchise on the PC, so of course they will want to milk it the best they can. I really don't want to see the end of Kyle though, he's like my hero :p

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 08:37 AM
You wont see the end of Kyle. He's in it. you'll see him.

Oh, and it's NOT fake. I'm dead certain now.

Oh, and another thing, the twi'lek models, the user created ones on the net.... as far as i know, the tails on the head dont move and interact with the body (correct me if I'm wrong)

In these pics, it clear that they are swaying, and bending over the shoulder and arm where they touch.

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 08:43 AM
So we now all agree it's the real deal ? :)

bliv
03-30-2003, 08:49 AM
E3 is coming up in the summer. I'd expect that this game will be given it's first full featue then. The concept of vehicles sounds good as well as the customisation.

I'd also like to point out how glad I am that it's Quake 3 engine. That way the larger audience can play the game. Especially those with systems running under 1GHz.

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 08:51 AM
Ok, I saw mention of SOF2 technology in there....

Perhaps we'll see a random mission generator implemented? :) I imagine it wouldnt be too hard, seeing as theyve got all the source code they'd need......

And I hope we get to return to the sith temple from MOTS.... I skipped a bit of those missions. Got so frustrated :)

The_One
03-30-2003, 08:52 AM
Some guy posted up a scan of the entire article:

http://home.t-online.de/home/die-simpsons/JK3GS.zip

I really don't think this is a hoax, but I think it is possibly an expansion. Regardless, JKIII or expansion pack, it looks damn cool!

The_One
03-30-2003, 08:58 AM
I am torn between the theory that this is an expansion or JKIII.

Either way it looks bloody brilliant, and I'm sure this is not a hoax.

1) No-one would put the time into a hoax that elaborate.
2) If it was a hoax, the LEC lawyers would destroy Gamestar - or LEC were in on it, but I really don't think they would be.
3) It sure doesn't look like a hoax.

All we can do is sit back and wait for the official word from LEC, and finally put this argument to bed :)

Darth Lunatic
HOT DIGGITY DOG!!

I haven't posted in here for ages. Look, Kurgens still here!!

This is fantastic news!! Cannot wait! Well done RAVEN!!

Com Raven
According to Gamestar, LucasArts will show first movies of the game at E3...

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Why should it be an expansion?
Especially after Activision revealed that a JK III would be released between now and april 2004...

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 09:02 AM
ARGH! AND I CANT GO TO E3 THIS YEAR! GOT AN EXAM! AHHHHHHH!

And i was going to go too :( My oldies were gonna pay for my flight.

BAH!

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 09:05 AM
Lol, yeah, it's also in the middle of my finals :)

Russ
03-30-2003, 09:10 AM
I eagerly await! I want to know more!

Kurgan
03-30-2003, 09:13 AM
No, I haven't left yet. ; )

And I can't go to E3 either.. so I'll miss all the JK3 goodness.
: (

On closer inspection that looks like a Rodian you're playing as in a few of those shots.

Hekx
03-30-2003, 09:16 AM
I'm going to have a go at roughly translating the review. It may take some time, but it should help with details. ;)

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi, I'm German, and maybe I can tell you what the article says.
But my English is not the best one ;)

So

- free character choice: Race, appearance, clothes, skin color
- free mission choice: you can freely travel through the star Wars Galaxy . Whether Tatooine, Hoth (!) or another well-known location, everything will be possible!
- free power development: you can develop more to the dark or light side
- Means of transport! Whether in a "Flitzer" (means the glider, which Luke used in Episode 4 in Mos Eisley) or ride on Hoth on one the "good-smelling" Things (you know Han Solo loved them) : everything planned!
- Film-similar fights: the developers set mainly on light sword fights, it give 3 styles (with only one sword, with double blade, or á la Anakin with 2 swords), there will be more combat animations, more moves, look simply great!
- Graphic looks already better around some than JK2: Better textures, by far more details (opponents, areas), larger areas, etc..
- Story: First you'll be an apprentice of the jedi-academy, then after some missions you will uncover a great conspiracy, which threats the whole galaxy...d h

I hope I could help you :)

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 09:18 AM
3 words..... and a contraction.

It's not a hoax :)

Hekx
03-30-2003, 09:19 AM
Thanks Tremayne!

I would have had a crack at it, but I only did French and Spanish at school. :D

I can't wait to get the game. :)

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 09:23 AM
You asked Raven or LucasArts ? :)

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 09:25 AM
http://www.jediknightii.net/jkiiirevealed.shtml

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 09:29 AM
Me too!

Here is one quote from the interview with one of the developers:

[quote]"meanwhile we know the Quake-3-Engine in and by heart, so that we can employ things with it, those with Jedi Knight 2 seemed still impossible and those your readers so ever did not see!"[/qoute]

this is a "google" translation ;)

Best thing is, according to my opinion that we needn’t to play Kyle any time more!
Thanks Raven!:D

Ah yes, I got some information about multiplayer:

There will be new modes (gamestar guess that there will be duels with vehicles, but no cooperative:( )

The game is to 60 % finished.

If you have any questions, ask me, I'll try to answer.

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 09:30 AM
3 styles? does that mean only 1 style for each lightsaber option? as in, no more red blue yellow for 1 saber, etc?

I hope not... I hope there's 3 styles for each saber option...

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 09:34 AM
That's one of the things which are not really clear from the article...

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I'm not so sure...
"Not only because of the three diffrent fighting styles..."

But this is only the GameStar ;)
This needn't to be right.

Shaggy1984
03-30-2003, 09:41 AM
This is awesome news.

Now I hope Game arena will support this.

I seriously cannot wait. I hope they put the saga gametype into play.

Darth Lunatic
03-30-2003, 09:43 AM
Oh man i really hope there's a return to Dromuund Kaas! I loved that map in MOTS. So eery and atmospheric.

And i hope that a co-op mode for the single player levels is introduced.

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 09:47 AM
Threads merged....

You're welcome :)

Hekx
03-30-2003, 09:48 AM
I wish they had screenshots with HUDs, since that would give away the stances available. They'll probably be 5 stances. The 5 available with JediMod. Just improved on.
The review said more emphasis on lightsaber combat, aswell as creating your own character. Definetly worth waiting for. ;)

boinga1
03-30-2003, 09:50 AM
co-op? if this thing works like theyu say it does, i'll never get to MP or give a flip about co-op!

GonkH8er
03-30-2003, 09:50 AM
I'm thinking 3 (or 5) stances with 1 saber, same as JK2, with new moves...

2 Stances for 2 sabers (maybe offensive and defensive)

2 Stances for double bladed (proper ones so the 2nd blades not going through you when you swing :))

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 09:57 AM
I hope they will include a physic engine, like karma, or havoc (if that's possible). No more clipping ;)

You can be sure that this is no april joke!
I found the real one and it hasn't got anything to do with jk3, don't worry.

It seems that you can visit a lot of diffrent planets, maybe even Ruusan (there is the vally) and coruscant.

Sorry, but there will be NO co-op! :(

There will be 5 races you can play, Twi'lek, Rodian, and 3 more...

Monkey Mania
03-30-2003, 10:04 AM
and ummm Human and Bothan(look at one of the screenshots)! 1 more... my guess is Wookiee

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 10:07 AM
Gamestar only spoke of 2 cxonfirmed races, with around 3 more...

Also, sorry, no co-op...

And a good physics engine doesn't automartically mean no clipping bugs :)

Monkey Mania
03-30-2003, 10:09 AM
How come people are saying the same things?

The_One
03-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Ah! Someone merged the threads ;)

Anyway, I'm off to update the Dark Forces MOD website :p

Hekx
03-30-2003, 10:27 AM
I think they should add more playable races. What do they think this is SWG 0.5? :p

I think most of the species of the Old Republic Jedi Order should work well.

Hopefully they'll be expansions. :D

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 10:33 AM
Yes, but would look very cool @Com Raven ;)

@Monkey Mania: we are so happy about the news, so we switched off our brains :D ;)

@The_one: I really look forward to your Mod. The demo was great, real DF-Feeling

Quall
03-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by boinga1
hmmm...sounds a lot like KOTOR, looks a lot like a jk2 mod. very intriguing.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking. Complete character customization, free roaming around the galaxy? Even when I saw the screens I thought it was KOTOR. But, I don't thin it is because the views look too different

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 10:44 AM
KotoR comes from BioWare, it's more RPG and it's 5000 years before.

I'm really happy about this development. As much freedom as possible and even a lot of action and star wars atmosphere.

samm666
03-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Well on that Gamestar secret link (http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/) , the writing with the Jawa says:

Quote Gamestar:

connection establishment starting from... 01. April 2003

But I have no idea what the other shot it changes to is, my first thoughts were that it looked like something off Doom 3, but it does look remotely like a Rancor... Or just some nasty evil thing, e.g. Another Barney :D

Just looks like some crazy Starship Troopers bug...

samm666
03-30-2003, 10:57 AM
Okayyy....

I just left the window with http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/2.htm running for a while, and then I heard like a 6 second burst of some kind of machinery noise and what sounded like a Rancor :eek:

Very suspicious, I'm not sure if it was that page that did it, I refreshed and I'm still waiting for it to do it again...

WJTW
03-30-2003, 11:01 AM
Hmm... doublebladed sabres for a Jedi? DUAL sabres would be much more appropriate for a Jedi, or at least doesn't violate any known facts about Jedi. Jedi only use (possible EU stuff.) double-bladed sabres for training purposes. I think double-bladed sabres should be reserved only for Sith Lords, since double-bladed sabres are Sith-only.

Better to have a cheat to enable the double-bladed sabres for a Jedi. BUT we'll get the RIGHT animations this time, instead of the db-sabre cheat in MP jk2, without any actual db-sabre anims.

WJTW

Tremayne
03-30-2003, 11:07 AM
There are some screenshots where you can see the rancor.
gamestar writes under these:
"A typical Script sequence: The station on Tatooine seems as become extinct, but suddenly the ground vibrate and an enormous claw seize around the corner. Under strong roar an enormous Rancor approaches. The fight against the monster seems inevitable. Even ducked it's still double as large as we are - is there still another way out?"

Sorry for the bad translation ;)

@WJTW
You'll get the double-bladed or the second saber only later in the campaign.

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 11:20 AM
Sorry to say this, but Knights looks a lot better than the JK III screens...

Which doesn't mean that my PC Most Awaited Top Three have a new entry since yesterday :)

WJTW
03-30-2003, 11:24 AM
You'll get the double-bladed or the second saber only later in the campaign.
Yes, I'm aware of this. Nice to know that was the way they've planned it.

However, what I'm saying is, Jedi aren't supposed to use double-bladed sabres for regular purposes. Only Sith can. And since the game is called Jedi Knight 3, your main character can't be a Sith.
Of course, since the Jedi Order is restarted by Luke Skywalker, he might've made a few changes. I'm sure with the recent Dark Jedi appearing (in JK2, JK1), Luke might've wanted his students to be more well-prepared.

WJTW

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 11:27 AM
I am not sure that rule is true any longer, as your jedi can also get a db-ls in Knights...

samm666
03-30-2003, 11:34 AM
Well on that Gamestar secret link (http://www.gamestar.de/reklawyks/secret-jk3/) , the writing with the Jawa says:

Quote Gamestar:

connection establishment starting from... 01. April 2003

But I have no idea what the other shot it changes to is, my first thoughts were that it looked like something off Doom 3, but it does look remotely like a Rancor... Or just some nasty evil thing, e.g. Another Barney :D

Just looks like some crazy Starship Troopers bug...

WJTW
03-30-2003, 11:36 AM
It said on starwars.com that db-bladed are Sith lightsabres. Sith use them (well trained ones, that is.). This showed how unfair Sith are. Jedi don't.

(1) KotOR, IMO, must be trying to get more people to play it, so, added the db-sabre.
(2) Or it might be the SITH or bad guys holding it.
(3) OR, it might be a different case 4000 years ago. Maybe such a rule isn't established 4000 years ago. But isn't it a little... convenient that the timelines for both games have either unestablished rules or changed rules?
So, I'm siding with (1) and (2).

WJTW

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 11:36 AM
I'd say it is a rancor...

T-Dogg
03-30-2003, 11:57 AM
The only thing I'd be sure about: the hype is huge.

As for this whole thing being real or an April fools joke - no comment yet. Could be either one.

Chandler
03-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Too bad there's no default co-op, but depending on how things progress within the next few months and when we have more concrete information on JKIII, there is a good chance that Rebel Operations will move over to JKIII :D. Long live the co-op!

TheCorman
03-30-2003, 12:25 PM
This is probably true since rumors have been around for months and there have been conference calls for Raven and they talked about JKIII and on some sites they said that Raven was to work on a sequel to JKII to meet some 2004 quota or something. Anyways from what I've heard this game will be sweet.:spin:

happydan
03-30-2003, 12:27 PM
double saber could be made available if you choose the dark side?

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 12:28 PM
Seeing how BioWare produced 3 million-sellers without the SW license, I don't think they need to employ cheap tricks to sell their games...

CmdKewin
03-30-2003, 12:45 PM
uhm...
I just hope, if true, that it reveals itself as a better game than JO was. Dark Forces 2 was better. Many times better. Storylinewise, I mean.

WJTW
03-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by happydan
double saber could be made available if you choose the dark side?
No. The db-sabre choice doesn't seem to be affected by which side you join.
But IF it was, you must be a Sith, not just a normal Dark Jedi, to get it. Of course, that's an 'if'.

Speaking of Dark Side, if my main character now is Kyle's Padawan learner, I'll make sure he gets to the Dark Side. I want to make Kyle a failed Master. :)

WJTW

ryudom
03-30-2003, 12:53 PM
^agreed.

Defend functioned still automatically, and the program selects the suitable attack depending upon opponent position as for instance a surprising sword impact to the rear

dunno if that sounds good. i want total control

leXX
03-30-2003, 12:54 PM
All I can say is that if this is true, then this is the game I've been waiting for. A SW FPS where you are a female in the lead role, and a Twi'lek at that! This is like a dream come true for me and I can't wait!

Prime
03-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by leXX
All I can say is that if this is true, then this is the game I've been waiting for. A SW FPS where you are a female in the lead role, and a Twi'lek at that! This is like a dream come true for me and I can't wait! Uh, didn't MOTS have Mara Jade as the lead role??

leXX
03-30-2003, 01:16 PM
I didn't play Mysteries of the Sith, although I wish I had.

Com Raven
03-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I dpon't know why anybody is so unhappy with JK II, I though, and still think it is a fantastic game!

boinga1
03-30-2003, 01:39 PM
is it real? the dualsabers and all look like jk2...but they are not playing MP in those shots, cuz there's no "You Killed SO-and-SO" or an icon for the leader. of course, it would be possible to erase these. the rancor is new- but it could be fake. i submitted a query through the "Ask Lucasarts" on www.lucasarts.com although i don't think it'll matter. I guess we must wait until 4/1. until then- let the speculation continue!

Zathu Koon
03-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Looking at the detail and such, and believe that it is expansion reasonability.

JK1 -> MotS = Engine Upgrades
JK2 -> JK2 Expansion = More Engine Upgrades?

Lucasarts has confimed an expansion to some extent, I believe. It would be odd to have the sequal screenies leaked before the expansion. Its a bit too early for a squal anyway, I think.

On the other hand;
I'm 50/50 with it either being an expansion or a hoax.

Theres always the possibility that this is a hoax. Why might it be a hoax? I've seen some 3DS works with similar lighting and such as these shot. Look at the magazine.. Sence when do germans get all the dirt on american companies before we do? Also, looking at the date for the video release here... its just begging for an april fools.

So lucasfilms registered jediknightiv.com.. big deal. They also have jediknightv.com, and countless other star-wars related domains, most of which they are proboly never going to use!

This all seems farfeched, I don't plan on doing any dances of joy until I see a press release reguarding *these* rumors on ravengames.com or lucasarts.com

Targeteron
03-30-2003, 04:56 PM
Peeps, cool down, this is an april fools joke, i bet my CPU! If there would be something like JK3 we should have heard about it by now from Raven offifially don´t you think?

RaptorII
03-30-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Dark Cloak
Yes, they're bound to look similar because they are running on the same engine as JK2. HOWEVER, I recall John Carmack scrapping the Quake 3 engine and starting with a bare-bones (or something close) version of it to turn it into the Doom 3 engine (eh, don't quote me on it).

Well, although you didn't want to be, I will. You are fairly correct as far as I can remember, he took the Quake3 engine, and tore it down until it was as basic as it could get (or somewhere near that) and began to build what is today the Doom3 engine.

However, I can tell you this, Raven will not, ever, do such a thing.

As I previously commented, they didn't even fix the dynamic lighting in the engine core to work more like you would want it to in JK2. That and the fact that it is the Quake3 engine, and works fairly well as it is... and I don't think they have a talented programmer anywhere near the skill of Carmack, nor the time or money being given to them to do such.

There is no reason from a financial standpoint to spend the years it would take to totally rebuild the engine. There is a reason that people license engines for licensed games, and it generally isn't to spend four years making an epic, but rather spend up to two years making a quick buck.

It was a different story a few years back when the engines were more restrictive of what they could do... but engines like Q3's can do most things needed for a nice looking game, and is easily modified for more complex things without needing to delve into the engine much.

Bottom line, if the images are real it means they are still using the Quake3 engine so, I wouldn’t expect much more than higher polygon counts all around, larger levels, and more detailed textures compared to JK2.

RaptorII
03-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Zathu Koon
Look at the magazine.. Sence when do germans get all the dirt on american companies before we do?

Press and fans at ECTS got to see World of WarCraft before there was the slightest hint of it’s existence by Blizzard, Vivendi, or American press. Mind you, a few days later, Blizzard changed their web page to start off with mysterious images leading up to the official (American) press release, but that still doesn’t change the fact that Europe got to know about it, and see it first.

I’m not saying that these shots are official/real or not, but it wouldn’t be anything new for a German magazine to get the scoop. When TeamFortress 2 was actually was being made, a German magazine and website got the scoop on it, another German site and magazine got the scoop on Deus Ex 2, and recently a German magazine printed the most detailed information about Homeworld 2 yet released. Perhaps they are just more insistent than American press?

Ray Stantz
03-30-2003, 06:19 PM
Peeps, cool down, this is an april fools joke, i bet my CPU!

Well then I guess you'll have to get a new one to play the expansion/sequal.

leelink
03-30-2003, 07:05 PM
forget the vehicles just make sure the multiplay component works correcly and is challenging. I have wanted to play jk2 since they newbized it. (1.03 patch)

Powerpuff Boy
03-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Oh baby, I sure hope this is the real deal. I've just gotten back into playing JK II, and it'd be sweet if a sequel were released this fall. It's so going to be the year of the Jedi, as someone stated before. The Jedi customization thing is going to be kick-ass-tastic. That's the one thing I've been waiting for in a game like this, the ability to choose your own character, rather than being stuck with a generic one.

boinga1
03-30-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Ray Stantz
Well then I guess you'll have to get a new one to play the expansion/sequal.

actually i'm on his side- he may have 2 CPUs soon :lol:

Hekx
03-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Has anyone put a release date on this puppy? :p

C'jais
03-30-2003, 08:02 PM
Well these news certainly prevented me from doing any homework tonight. Thanks a lot.

Is it a hoax? I think not. As GonkH8er said, this isn't April 1st yet. And look at the screen shots - who in their right mind would create new models, new animations, new levels and new saber effects, only to take a few screen shots of it and make it into a big prank?

Is it an expansion pack? I don't know, but if it is, it's a bleedin' huge XP pack. Which add on has got a around 50 levels, new animations, a new game code, vehicles, a completely new lightsaber combat system, completely new models all the way through and a new single player mission selection?

If this is an add on, you can rightly call it the add on of the century. Call it an add on all you want, but I'm gonna treat it like JK3.

C'jais
03-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Hèkx Nòxú
Has anyone put a release date on this puppy? :p

Seeing as they say it could be finished by fall, I'm gonna say May 2004.

Gotta be realistic these days. No one wants Raven to pull a Blizzard on this.

gigatron
03-30-2003, 08:09 PM
I don't get it... where are the jk3 screenshots? all the links and images were of jk2... it was clearly jk2 modified.. or more like an expansion if its not a mod... it wasn't 'high-tech' in anyway... seemed like low res 1024x1024 textures at most and low poly low brush size models and levels... o_O Am I missing something? Also how is it not NOT obvious that cover is an illustration lol... of course it's an illustration lol you can practically feel photoshop's brushes touching that image @_@.

Urgh I bet this is either an expansion (according to these screenshots or a mod..... or nothing), or well its for real (jk3 screens) but they have yet to come out... or just a dirty april fools which i despise.. i dont see any practical purpose in april first except causing confusion and problems blah.

I sure hope jk3 REAL screenshots do come out.. but uhm i dont know.. considering its april fools and .. stuff..

Chandler
03-30-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, if they truly are 60% complete and have the main things done like it said, I'd stick with the fall 2003 date given. But who knows these days :confused:.

C'jais
03-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by ryudom
i want total control

And how do you expect them to do that?

I don't know if I like the idea of one stance yet. If they do it well, and I mean really well, it could technically work. If they expanded on the system where each swing is determined by the movement of the model, the mouse and swings before it, it'd be brilliant.

Then again, I think they'll probably just go conservative on this one. Still, I'm suspecting something else as they didn't mention it at all in the article, AFAIK.

another_trooper
03-30-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
If they do it well, and I mean really well, it could technically work. If they expanded on the system where each swing is determined by the movement of the model, the mouse and swings before it, it'd be brilliant.

Isnt that a little too mouch for lucasarts to think about :D
they usually copy concepts and put the st trademark on it, though im NOT implying that that gives any bad things (most of the time :rolleyes: )

C'jais
03-30-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by gigatron
I don't get it... where are the jk3 screenshots? all the links and images were of jk2... it was clearly jk2 modified..

Yes. That's the whole idea of it - a modification on the JK2 engine.

or more like an expansion if its not a mod...

A mod? No.

Expansion? Look at the content of this game. Does it look like some measly expansion to you?

Also how is it not NOT obvious that cover is an illustration lol...

Of course it's an illustration.

of course it's an illustration lol you can practically feel photoshop's brushes touching that image @_@.

I'm gonna leave that comment alone... :p

I sure hope jk3 REAL screenshots do come out.. but uhm i dont know.. considering its april fools and .. stuff..

What do you guys want?

Didn't JK2's saber battles look amazingly spectacular enough? The sabers were gorgeous, even if the multiplayer fighting system was half-assed.

I'm guessing this game will focus a lot on the saberfighting (as said already), and to this end, they need not change much. The surroundings, the dynamic lighting, the ragdoll physics, while neat, is not what makes a game such as this.

Are graphics all that matters to you guys? Are not you satisfied unless each new game resembles Farcry or Doom 3? I don't know about you, but Doom3 looks to be the most gorgeous, boring, scripted game ever made to me.

Jolts
03-30-2003, 08:32 PM
I'm not hyped yet, I see the same bad lighting, the same models recycled with little detail modification of course. Saber handles are the same models, and lighting is the same. Graphically this game won't hold a candle to kotor or swg even though they all have around the same polycount and texure size. Kotor and swg have better rendering engine for lighting and shaders, and that is more than half of what makes great graphics.

First major thing they could have fixed would be physics, second would be the animation system. I don't want to see people floating around, there no possible reason for this anymore in new games besides lazyness on the dev side. The active at all times saber, more annoying or cool? I say annoying and it kind of limits the sound system for it.

boinga1
03-30-2003, 08:43 PM
this'll either be one of the best dark forces games ever, or the best april fools' joke ever. Hekx seems to believe the former; i believe the latter.

Chandler
03-30-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by gigatron
.. or more like an expansion if its not a mod...

Yeah, there's technically little difference between the two. You could say expansions are retail and mods aren't, but that's not even true all the time.

StormHammer
03-30-2003, 08:48 PM
For me, gameplay will always come first over graphics. Graphics don't make a great game - just look at Unreal 2 - but great gameplay does. That's not to say graphics aren't important...in the current market, where the bar is being raised considerably, of course they are a prominent factor. Having said that, however, Jedi Outcast still looks perfectly respectable, and if they are tweaking the engine further for a sequel, then it should look even better again.

Maybe they should try and convince the guy working on Tenebrae 2 to work for them...and put in all those nice shadows and lighting effects. If nothing else, this person has shown how far the Quake engines can still be modified and pushed to the limits. The only drawback, of course, is the performance overhead, which will impact older systems and mean some fans might not be able to play.

Anyway...from the summary I've read, and those low-res pics I've seen, it looks like a worthy sequel. I'm still waiting for confirmation, though...

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-30-2003, 09:31 PM
I am making a jedi knight III fan page. Check it out HERE!!! (http://www.geocities.com/jediknightiii)

matt--
03-30-2003, 09:31 PM
Everyone keep in mind that April Fools day is less than 2 days away.

Prime
03-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I didn't play Mysteries of the Sith, although I wish I had. You might still be able to find the JK1 and MOTS pack around somewhere. Since you are looking for a female lead for SW, I suggest you try it if you can. It is a great game!

Originally posted by Jolts
I'm not hyped yet, I see the same bad lighting, the same models recycled with little detail modification of course. Saber handles are the same models, and lighting is the same. Graphically this game won't hold a candle to kotor or swg even though they all have around the same polycount and texure size. Kotor and swg have better rendering engine for lighting and shaders, and that is more than half of what makes great graphics.
I knew it wouldn't take long for people to start ragging on JK3 :) I expect it is just an expansion, and not a completely new game. I'm not disagreeing with what you are saying, but I have no problems with the graphics of JO. I thought it looked good. And really, great graphics does not a game make :)

And as far as KOTOR and Galaxies go, they won't really have FPS lightsaber combat, so I'll stick to JO and JK3 for that!

DarkLord60
03-30-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ
meh, can't win 'em all :)

but you never know, saber combat may turn out to be balanced AND fun...

Anakin I think that is why there keeping the source code from us. This may be a set back but shouldnt effect us to much. We could have Mp for JO and SP for JO2.

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-30-2003, 09:50 PM
Hey. Could someone donate me 800 credits so I can put a pic in my sig?

PS Check out this fan page: Jedi Knight III Fan Page (http://www.geocities.com/jediknightiii)

Dark Cloak
03-30-2003, 10:01 PM
I wanna see those screenshots at full resolutiooooon!!! There was one link in here that claimed to have them, but only went to a blank index site...nothing there but the parent directory link. :( Anybody else have them? I want to analyize them in Photoshop. *grins evily*

Chandler
03-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Prime
I knew it wouldn't take long for people to start ragging on JK3 :)
Yeah, really, it's too early to criticize it. We haven't even played it yet. I bet when they're in there slicing up Tuskens with two lightsabers they will hardly be thinking of how the dynamic lighting doesn't work or whatever :rolleyes:.

Originally posted by DarkLord60
Anakin I think that is why there keeping the source code from us. This may be a set back but shouldnt effect us to much. We could have Mp for JO and SP for JO2.
I certainly hope so. That would explain the use of the Q3 engine again for those critics. Despite its apparent age, if the above is true, it helps modders greatly.

CanadianSurfer
03-30-2003, 10:19 PM
Mmf, me like this game.

/me unfs JK3

Jolts
03-30-2003, 10:20 PM
"I'm guessing this game will focus a lot on the saberfighting (as said already), and to this end, they need not change much. The surroundings, the dynamic lighting, the ragdoll physics, while neat, is not what makes a game such as this."

This game is based around the force and the lightsaber, that is very involving for physics, if any game needs good physics its a jeid game and racing sim games. Here is an example of how physics can effect gameplay on the lowest enjoyment level

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/warthogjumpmirrors.html

pull/push/throw all demand better physics than what JO had to offer. Its a complete and total gameplay booster no question about it.

Graphics to me are just as much apart of gameplay as how your weapons control. The lighting, the shading and reflective textures all create atmosphere that help suck you into the world, while the control helps make it more fun to be active in. You need it all, and game companies that can do both are rare and what make playing games worth it. What would a game like splinter cell be with out shadows and all the detail they put into that? all the stealth animations all the interactive pieces of garbage and lights?

This is just how I feel about games, I hate to see jedi fans keep getting ripped in this genre of gaming.

oh yeah, how about some maya modelling support, that would be rippin.

Wacky_Baccy
03-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Posted by Dark Cloak
I wanna see those screenshots at full resolutiooooon!!! There was one link in here that claimed to have them, but only went to a blank index site...nothing there but the parent directory link. :( Anybody else have them? I want to analyize them in Photoshop. *grins evily* I've re-uploaded it here (http://www.exquisition.net/misc/JK3GS.zip) for ya :)

Those are the original scans that Hekx made the screenies from (which are now on display here (http://www.echonetwork.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=578) :))

Belgirion
03-30-2003, 10:21 PM
it looks like an expansion...sort of like MOTS was to the original JK

CanadianSurfer
03-30-2003, 10:26 PM
It looks more single player related, I wonder if they're sticking with the Quake 3 engine or finding another one for multiplayer.

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-30-2003, 10:26 PM
It may be MotS for JO but I really liked MotS:D

DarkLord60
03-30-2003, 10:31 PM
I honestly don't believe its JK3 its prob just a Add-on like many people have been saying. Its still awesome!

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-30-2003, 10:34 PM
I hope its not just an add on.

[Edit - Stormy - stop spamming the thread with your web-link please. :cool: ]

CanadianSurfer
03-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Aren't you just spiffy. Making a webpage before they're even half way done. Mmf

Lord_Plo_Koon
03-30-2003, 10:41 PM
LucasArts didn't make one so I did:D

Imperial Jawa
03-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
3 styles? does that mean only 1 style for each lightsaber option? as in, no more red blue yellow for 1 saber, etc?

I hope not... I hope there's 3 styles for each saber option...

i reaaaaaally hope that you can only chose say 2 out of the 3 possible lightsaber battles. havbing your opponent do the castrate-to-decapitate move then death from above then the yellow jumping one in a row just takes away the moves sweetness. if each player was limited to their lightsaber stuff and could NOT do all of them, the characters woudl be more unique, the game woudl be fresher, and i believe people would spend more time developing each lightsaber style rather then just doing a select 2 or 3 moves from all 3.

SPY_jmr1
03-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Lord_Plo_Koon:

Please stop making every post on this fourm a ad for your "site".

its not very appealing, and not allowed by the rules.

Hey. Could someone donate me 800 credits so I can put a pic in my sig?

PS Check out this fan page: Jedi Knight III Fan Page

this is not valid content for this thread. and certanly not three times in 15 posts.

you MAY have the link in your sig, by all means, but please do NOT make more posts on this subject. you may find posts of your's begining to be removed unless you comply.

Thank you, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Valcron
03-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Is this **** still using the Quake 3 engine? If it is, that sucks, it's time to move away from that crap...

DarkLord60
03-30-2003, 11:38 PM
No kidding but what are they gonna make it on the DOOm 3 engine that is to advanced phew!

ryudom
03-30-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
[B]And how do you expect them to do that?

you know what i mean... or you ought too :P

anyway, seeing as though it looks like you don't, i mean i want to be able to preform pretty much anymove anywhere, (asides wall kicking and such). i don't like having to have an opponent in a certain position to be able to do a move.

Silent_Thunder
03-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Very exiting!

This sounds true enough to me (and it has Gonk's seal of approval too!).

Alot of the information in that article seems a little bit much though. I mean, I'm all for depth and lots and lots of options (more is better), but look at everything they're trying to do -- and they're supposedly already 60% finished!:

Atleast 3 playable races (I got the impression of 5 or so). If this is in single player then that means at the VERY LEAST they'll have to have 6 seperate voice recordings in the entire game for each species and each gender (we can't have a male wookie sound like a female twi'lek, now can we?). Also, given that their is a dark and light side that means that our main character will be interacting with different people, therefore saying different things. That seems like a heck of alot of voice recordings. But still quite possible I suppose.

Levels that are often twice the size of JK: II. Much more lively levels. Not only that, but you get to choose what mission you do... When JKII was a long time coming out they were saying that Jedi Outcast probably won't be QUITE as long as JK1; now they're coming out and saying that the levels may be twice the length? If they can pull it off then fine I suppose.

Fairly detailed character costumization.

More vehicle combat and piloting, AND ridable creatures.

3 different kinds of lightsaber fighting, whith presumably 3 stances for each style. That's alot of saber animations to make.

I don't know, but it hasn't been all that long since JKII has been released, and they're already at 60%, and expect to release it by Fall. All I can think is they must have either been working on this project under wraps for a long time, or else they have an extreemly large and talented developer team (or maybe alittle of both).

Anyways, enough of my speculating on the comments made on an article which may not be totally correct. I don't really trust anything this early unless it comes from the mouth of a developer (or a Gonk). You know the way things get unintentionally twisted so early...

But I wouldn't mind commenting on what I CAN see... the pictures.

At first I thought the pictures were awesome... but only because this was my first look at JK3. But in reality they don't really show much, and what they do show is probably a bit misleading. If you recall the FIRST pictures of JKII were VERY different from the finished product. In the first screenshots they showed a level which was never included in the actual game... It showed pictures of stormtroopers that were very different than those of the finished game (ie; too big helmets). The Lightsaber trails were also kind of screwed up and a host of other odd things; such as a picture with huge flash where Kyle is fighting what appears to have turned out to be Tavion in a hanger with a reflective floor which we never saw.

Still, considering that the first pictures of JKII were given a year before its projected release, and these screenshots are given supposedly 6 months before it's projected release, than maybe these pictures really are of things which we will see in the game. Alot of it looks pretty well designed, such as those dark jedi in the top left hand corner. Most of the locales also seem pretty well detailed. However... Look at the section for levels, where it says: innenlevels; the picture to the right of the first one looks identical to the level where you fight Tavion, does it not?

The look of the outside areas look alot like MotS to me... So does alot of the indoor areas. Anyone else feel the same?

Anyways, this is really interesting news, and very exiting to say the least. Still, this is too early for me to know what to make of it. I like alot of the ideas presented in that article, but I don't want to get my hopes up about anything at the moment.

Dark Cloak
03-31-2003, 01:20 AM
*HOPS!* Thank you VERY much, Wacky_Baccy. :) :) :) Incredible!!

wassup
03-31-2003, 01:39 AM
Why don't everyone stop dissing the Quake 3 engine and start some real discussion about JKIII. It seems nowadays, after the WOW factor is over, people turn to ranting...

this post is in no way aimed at any specific individual or group, it is just a general observation

RaptorII
03-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Not ranting. Just comenting on the reality of the situation. As there is no real information to base actual comentary, I am going with what is obvious. It is clear that it is using the engine still, and I am familiar with the engine and JK2's use of it. None of us are really familar with the gameplay and such in JK3.

The game may be fun, but I don't know about it. I am just trying to think of the future of it. You may not see it as a limit to creativity, but I already have seen levels released for JK2 that don't work as well as they could.

Seriously, I would love to see this changed. I just don't expect it. Time will tell if other things are improved, perhaps negating the need to change real dynamic lighting. But as it stands, this is just what I see. Rather than caring about the color of skin and lightsaber blades, I look at the technology.

Just throwing in my two cents.