View Full Version : Hmmm...
04-05-2003, 09:12 AM
I have heard some people previously on the internet talking about a way to make parts of a building collapse, like the one in the singleplayer final level, where you go into an area and Desann laughs weirdly and blocks start dropping from the ceiling. How do I do this, with sound and triggers (of course!) and everything?
04-05-2003, 09:39 AM
With scripts, func_statics, and a lot of work. That's the recipe. Using scripting you can move any kind of structure. Of course there has to be some kind of a trigger to launch the script. Sounds are an interesting issue. They can be applied straight from the script, or perhaps there's some soundset for that kind of purpose (haven't checked, though).
For a collapsing building, one could also apply some func_breakables to spice it up (and break them at appropriate moments in the script). Also some small dust effect might be in place.
Well, the description above is exactly what I did with one collapsing support column in my own map...
04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Well, I dont know scripting. In the final level, when you go to a particular area, Desann laughs and blocks drop from the ceiling. I only want the blocks to appear from the ceiling and drop to the ground, not actually break the ceiling!
04-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I quess I know what you mean. The other way, which might work, or then not, is to make an effect that just shoots pieces of some debris to a given direction. However, the only things I've done with EffectsEd are just a little bit of editing, so I cannot really say if that's even a viable solution. I would still go for scripting.
Sorry I cannot help you any more.
04-06-2003, 06:33 AM
I dont know anything about EffectsEd, well, so I wonder if there is any other viable alternative WITHIN JK2Radiant and not from any other programs?
04-06-2003, 11:31 AM
SCripting is the best bet, but if you really don't want to, you could always make them func_doors or func_plats that operate only once and come down from just above the cieling brush to the ground and stay there.
04-07-2003, 01:24 AM
My barrage of questions:
1. Is there a way to open up the final level in sp?
2. Is there a way to make the blocks dropping from the ceiling
break when they hit the ground?
3. Is there a way to like, erm, regenerate the blocks when they hit the ground? Example: There is a block in the ceiling. A trigger causes the block to drop from the ceiling (I accept the func_plat and func_door as an answer, Wedge, but look at question 2.) Once it leaves its original occupied area, a block appears "out of nowhere" and takes up the space where the block originally was before the trigger. How do I do this? ( Obviously!)
4. How do I make a light seem to come from somewhere? When I put lights in the middle of my room, it seems as though it is coming from everywhere and not specifically in the middle. How?
(Well, its not really a barrage, but its good enough!)
04-07-2003, 10:33 AM
1. No, you can't open a bsp.
2-3. Slow down and answer us this one first...Is the map SP or MP? If SP, all your answers are "scripting." If MP, just about all of em are "you can't." :p
4. Actually, point lights and spotlights DO light an area as if you have a lamp hanging where the light entity is. You might need to mess with the scale and light keys to see that, but this is apparent when a light is close to a brush, you can see on that brush in-game that the light is bright in the middle and gets progressively darker. If you select a light in GtkRad, some circles appear: the inner circle is the extent of the brightest part of the light emitted, the middle circle is sort of the "effective radius" of the light, the outer circle is the MAXIMUM area that will have SOME light from that particular ent.
04-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
...you could always make them func_doors or func_plats that operate only once and come down from just above the cieling brush to the ground and stay there.
Damn Wedge, I like the way you think...
Another great workaround by Wedge2211.
04-08-2003, 01:14 AM
I'm resigned to my mapping fate. All right. Now, I hope this can be done. Is it possible to make a light flash on and off quickly when it is triggered? Tell me how.
Also, wedge, I dont know much, but can brushes be used with waypoints?
May the force be with me! :)
Note to everyone: My maps are all Multi-Player. I dont make SP maps.
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.