PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Science Fiction film, OTHER than any of the Star Wars films.

ckcsaber
04-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Yes.

I like Star Wars.

Yes.

You like Star Wars (at least the OT).

Now, other than Star Wars, what is your favorite Science Fiction movie?

Mine has to be "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". Very cool movie. It had me sculpting my mashed potatoes for weeks.:D

.:Solusar:.
04-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Well other then star wars... hmmm well i can't think of one right now, except a movei i just saw a couple of weeks ago and its caleld The Core.. i dont know if thats considered science fiction but i liked it. Anyway thank you again cksaber for this sig and helping me get it on the profile.;)

Boba Rhett
04-15-2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmmm.... How about the Back to the Future trilogy?

El Sitherino
04-15-2003, 11:00 PM
THE MATRIX

Pedantic
04-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
THE MATRIX

echo :)

coupes.
04-15-2003, 11:23 PM
THE MATRIX

you cannot know for sure it's science fiction.........

that's probably my favorite too....until next month

Pedantic
04-15-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
you cannot know for sure it's science fiction.........

Huh? :confused: Of course it's science fiction. You could say sci-fi/action, but there's no getting around the sci-fi part of it. ;) :D

coupes.
04-15-2003, 11:32 PM
i meant how can you be sure it's not real....

sorry...bad joke:(

Pedantic
04-15-2003, 11:34 PM

sorry...bad joke:(

Ohhh, heh, sorry 'bout that. ;) :D My bad. :)

El Sitherino
04-15-2003, 11:40 PM

sorry...bad joke:( are you morpheus?:confused:

wassup
04-15-2003, 11:42 PM
are you morpheus?:confused:

No, I am your father :vadar:
Wouldn't it be cool if Vader dueled with Neo? :D

coupes.
04-15-2003, 11:42 PM
err...no...

*changes identity*

of course not

ET Warrior
04-16-2003, 12:17 AM
Ooooooh, i'm probably gonna go with the Matrix..but there are a lot of good ones....

.:Solusar:.
04-16-2003, 03:29 AM
Ok Guys forget what i have just said before. I have been converted into a Matrix Freak.:p Woohoo!. heh.. ok im done. The Matrix kicked major butt. I love that movie... *hits himself for not saying Matrix in the first place*... :D

leXX
04-16-2003, 06:01 AM
Um, yeah, 2 guesses what I'm gonna say! :xp: hehe

The Matrix :D

nova_wolf
04-16-2003, 06:11 AM
Titan AE

Bob Gnarly
04-16-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Hmmmm.... How about the Back to the Future trilogy?

hell yeah

StormHammer
04-16-2003, 07:29 AM
Blade Runner. Without question, one of the best SF movies I've ever watched - and I've watched a lot over the last 30 years.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched sea-beams glitter in the dark nearly 10 hours a day. All those moments...will be lost...in time...like...tears in the rain."

:D

If you're talking about golden oldies, they don't come much better than Forbidden Planet.

Bob Gnarly
04-16-2003, 07:40 AM
oh man, i forgot about Blade Runner!

C'jais
04-16-2003, 07:57 AM
Battlefield Earth?

:p

I don't think it'd be possible for that movie to suck harder even if it tried. Damn.

Pnut_Man
04-16-2003, 08:00 AM
The Matrix...*Sigh*

30 MORE DAYS TO GO! MWHAHAHAH

leXX
04-16-2003, 08:01 AM
What about Pitch Black? Now there's one hell of a good sci fi flick!! It's definately in my top 5.

Darklighter
04-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Blade Runner. Without question, one of the best SF movies I've ever watched - and I've watched a lot over the last 30 years.

Hey I was gonna say that:pBlade Runner and Fight Club are my two favourite films ever (not including Star Wars).

Though if I have to pick another of my own favourite Sci-fi films, I'd have to say Donnie Darko. That's science fiction, right? It's a great film based on the philosophy of time travel. Really gripping stuff.

StormHammer
04-16-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by leXX
What about Pitch Black? Now there's one hell of a good sci fi flick!! It's definately in my top 5.

That's a pretty slick flick with a twist. :thumbsup:

And it reminds me to mention the all-time classic...Alien. :)

Here are some more golden oldies...which every good SF buff should see...

The Day The Earth Stood Still - 'Gort - barenga!'
The Day The Earth Caught Fire
When Worlds Collide
This Island Earth
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (original)
The Thing (from Another World) - 'Watch the Skies. Keep watching the skies!'
Them! - the best of the old monster movies. :D
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms
20 Million Miles to Earth

and there are more...oh, so many more... :D

El Sitherino
04-16-2003, 08:40 AM
What about Pitch Black? that was a good movie. Vin Diesel's best.

leXX
04-16-2003, 03:36 PM
You know Stormy, there is a great UT2K3 DM map based on Blade Runner called 2019 (http://www.ut2003files.com/file.info?ID=9792). It's demanding on the PC specs front, but it is one hell of a great map for fans of Blade Runner like us. ;)

Katarn07
04-16-2003, 03:42 PM
Planet of the Apes and its sequel, Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Both of those have Heston in it, both of those are classic, and both of those are just so darned cool!

The_One
04-16-2003, 06:36 PM
The Matrix? Over-rated if you ask me...

I'd be inclined to go for the sci-fi horror genre, like Alien (+ sequels), Event Horizon and Pitch Black. Of the more classic films, I like Dune, 2001 and Blade Runner. Great books, made into great films :)

Dath Maximus
04-16-2003, 07:24 PM
Must i say it

LIVE LONG AND PROSPER STAR TREK!!!

WOOO!!!!!!

*does the funky vulcan dance*

Time for some fizbin!

Acrylic
04-16-2003, 07:32 PM
in 20 min or so, im supposed to see the matrix for the first time
is it good? like tell me some bits bout it :)

MysticSpade
04-16-2003, 07:40 PM
here's my top 5

1. The Thing
2. Pitch Black
3. The Matrix
4. Starship Troopers
5. Alien Ressurection

i know not that majorly overt huh

Sivy
04-16-2003, 07:46 PM
matrix

:)

they're doing a sequel to pitch black are they not?

hope so, it was a good film, the cinematography was excellent

leXX
04-16-2003, 07:55 PM
Pitch Black sequel? :eek: Where did you here that?

StormHammer
04-16-2003, 08:35 PM
Pitch Black sequel? :eek: Where did you here that?

Yes. I believe I read it in SFX magazine. The sequel will be about the life of Riddick, not the alien-infested planet they landed on in the first film. In fact, if Vin Diesel gets his way, he want to make a trilogy of Riddick films.

Thanks for the heads-up on the UT2K3 map. :thumbsup: The only problem is I probably won't be able to download it. :( Big downloads have a habit of going wrong on my connection. :cry6:

Katarn07...if you like Heston, you might want to check out some of his other SF work...

The Omega Man - a good film based on Richard Matheson's novel I am Legend

Soylent Green - an extremely good film, IMHO, based on Harry Harrison's novel Make Room! Make Room! Edward G. Robinson gives a great performance in that film.

whitedragon
04-16-2003, 08:47 PM
the matrix. no compitition what so ever

Sivy
04-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Yes. I believe I read it in SFX magazine. The sequel will be about the life of Riddick, not the alien-infested planet they landed on in the first film. In fact, if Vin Diesel gets his way, he want to make a trilogy of Riddick films.

yeah thats right,

the Riddick Chronicles,

i didn't know if its a spin-off, prequel or sequel

sounds like it's going to be a spin-off

boinga1
04-16-2003, 08:57 PM
star trek (sometimes), back to the future (I watched all of them within a 24 hr. span last Wed.-Thurs.), umm.....Jurassic Park?

Darth Groovy
04-16-2003, 09:21 PM
Forbidden Planet
War Of The Worlds
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Destination Moon
Fantastic Voyage
The Time Machine (Gorge Pal Version)
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
The Thing
Tremors
The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai
Dark City
The Day The Earth Stood Still
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2001: A Space Odessy
A Clockwork Orange
The Matrix
The Terminator
Westworld
Capricorn 1
The Fifth Element
Gattaca
The Abyss
Robocop

An honorable mention to Starship Troopers. The only thing that bugged me about that movie was the really bad cast of horrible actors.

SkiTzoGuy
04-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Well i do like star trek matrix and a whole bunch of movies but i can't seem to remember them at the moment. I do like Lord of the Rings but i don't know if they count as sci fi.

GonkH8er
04-16-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by C'jais
Battlefield Earth?

:p

I don't think it'd be possible for that movie to suck harder even if it tried. Damn.

"I'll just draw maths equations on the dirt. That will help us escape!"

And the amount of times they used the word 'leverage'...... urgh!

ET Warrior
04-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar
in 20 min or so, im supposed to see the matrix for the first time
is it good? like tell me some bits bout it :)

for.....the.....first...time....? Whu? Have not seen the matrix....but...how.......I........*dies*

leXX
04-17-2003, 08:27 AM

Well that's excellent news! I look forward to that.

Thanks for the heads-up on the UT2K3 map. :thumbsup: The only problem is I probably won't be able to download it. :( Big downloads have a habit of going wrong on my connection. :cry6:

That's a real shame, it's a truly great map, probably the best DM match out there. I really hope you're able to d/l it, I know you'll absolutely love it.

StormHammer
04-17-2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
Forbidden Planet
War Of The Worlds
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Destination Moon
Fantastic Voyage
The Time Machine (Gorge Pal Version)
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
The Thing
Tremors
The Adventures Of Buckaroo Banzai
Dark City
The Day The Earth Stood Still
E.T.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
2001: A Space Odessy
A Clockwork Orange
The Matrix
The Terminator
Westworld
Capricorn 1
The Fifth Element
Gattaca
The Abyss
Robocop

An honorable mention to Starship Troopers. The only thing that bugged me about that movie was the really bad cast of horrible actors.

Ah, the memories. :D The only ones I haven't seen in that list are Gattaca, Dark City and A Clockwork Orange. Something I shall have to remedy soon. ;)

Here are some more SF flicks worth watching...

Logan's Run
Silent Running
A Boy And His Dog
Fiend Without A Face
Robinson Crusoe On Mars
It Came From Outer Space
It! The Terror From Beyond Space - (the original Alien movie)
Quatermass Experiment
Quatermass II
Dark Star
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Demon Seed
Rollerball
The Man Who Fell To Earth
Things To Come
The Arrival
THX 1138
Life Force
Solaris
The Andromeda Strain
Flash Gordon (the original series with Buster Crabbe)
Crack In The World
Journey To The Far Side Of The Moon
First Men In The Moon
The Incredible Shrinking Man
The Man With the X-Ray Eyes
Phase IV (plain weird)
Zardoz (even more weird)

And two of the worst SF films ever made...

Plan 9 From Outer Space
The Green Slime

Heh. Pleasant viewing people. :D

Katarn07
04-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Flash Gordon (the original series with Buster Crabbe)

I suggest the one where he goes to Mongo first. Most of the SW movies are filled with stuff from that one.

Shark City - Otoh Gunga

King Vultan's Sky Palace - Cloud City

Beast that fights Flash in Sky Palace - Rancor (although it looks more like the Mugato, a gorilla with a horn on its head from the original ST)

Loads of other ones. They're all over. Heck, the enemy troops are called Stormtroopers and there are Roayal Guards in an episode (yes, as in episode I-VI) or two.

It also starts out with the title scroll with each episode like SW.

Then, the other one I saw was his trip to Mars. I saw that one a long time ago, and all I can remember being like SW are the Clay People.

In AotC, when Ani and Padme are going through the tunnel and the Genosians pop outta the wall, I was the first to point out that the Clay people do the same thing when Flash and his pals are going through some tunnel in the Mars serial...

The Mongo one is better.

And as for that thing made in 1980? RUN!!!

*** Can't believe no one else at least said the ORIGINAL PotA. I'm not talking about that 2001/ Burton/ Wahlberg thing... :rolleyes: (Actually, the ending was a bit more like the book's than the Heston one, but not nearly as cool)

Darth Eggplant
04-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Blade Runner (either version)
*non naration prefered*

Brazil

Enemy Mine

Matrix

Space Cowboys

Apollo13

Rollerball (original and only original)

(its called they live maybe?)
*rody pipper movie years back a good one*

there are so many,
the real trick is identifying the real bad ones.

Ghosts Of Mars
Def Con4
Saturn 3 or 5
(farah fossa what ever her name is)
The black Hole (disney)
Atlantis (disney) stolen from deep blue anime version
some jessie ventura film
all the hylanders after the original
Lexx (not the mod)
any lesslie neilson parody movie
some movie about a cube or box
)i heard pitch black was bad)
I like Vin diesel however
the movie not armageddon the other one
about a rock in space

StormHammer
04-17-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
And as for that thing made in 1980? RUN!!!

Heh...yeah, that was pretty bad. :D

I like the Queen rock theme for it, though. ;)

Anyway...did you also see the original Buck Rogers with old Buster? Eh, eh...didja? :D

Darth Eggplant

Saturn 3 or 5

It's Saturn 3 with Kirk Douglas, Farah Fawcett and Harvey Keitel - and you're right, it's pants.

all the hylanders after the original

I totally agree, the first was the best, and they should never have bothered with a sequel.

I heard pitch black was bad

Never judge a movie by hearsay. :) I liked it :D

the movie not armageddon the other one about a rock in space

I think you mean Deep Impact, where Morgan Freeman played the President of the US, and Robert Duvall lead the attack on the 'global killer'.

Although you could be referring to the film Meteor starring Sean Connery. :confused:

I forgot about Brazil...that was a rather strange movie, as I recall.

Of course...not quite as strange as Eraserhead...which is pretty much the ultimate weirdness and a bit sick in parts. :D

Oh...and you mentioned They Live...do you mean the John Carpenter film where the lead character - don't remember his name - walks into a bank or something and says...

"I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of gum."

Oh, and speaking of JC...who can forget Escape From New York with ole Snake Plissken? I enjoyed that one.

And of course...there's the Road Warrior...Mad Max

Katarn07
04-17-2003, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I got the original as a gift from my sister a while back. It's two tapes and has all 13 chapters. I onl;y watched it once. All this talk about it is tempting me to pop it in one of these days :D

I taped the Mars one off AMC and lost the tape. It is somewhere in my basement I think.

And yes, it is Buster Crabbe as Flash and Jean Rogers as Dale Arden.

Hmm, wish it was in color :p

StormHammer
04-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Hmm, wish it was in color :p

Now you mention it...didn't they do a colourised version of one of those old series? I can't remember which one, now, but I seem to recall seeing a screenshot of Flash colourised (i.e. touched up by hand). :confused:

Rebel_Spy
04-17-2003, 06:48 PM
The Matrix, ID4, The 5th Element, The Terminator, Blade Runner, 2001: Space Odessy.

The_One
04-17-2003, 07:52 PM
How about......Spaceballs!

Best SF movie ever ;)

I thought Minority Report was very good, despite some bad reviews. Yes, it had some plot holes, but I thought it was a good film, and I got given it on DVD too :)

Pedantic
04-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by The_One
I thought Minority Report was very good, despite some bad reviews. Yes, it had some plot holes, but I thought it was a good film, and I got given it on DVD too :)

Ah, I forgot about that one. That was a sweet movie. :D

Karsec
04-17-2003, 09:05 PM
Mystery Science Theater 3000

Acrylic
04-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
for.....the.....first...time....? Whu? Have not seen the matrix....but...how.......I........*dies*

Uhm...well, at first I heard bad reviews, but they were from Stupid Fags who hated me, and my friends saw it, and said it r0x0rzed, uhm, I hope that makes sense. I saw the movie....OMG...that movie is so sweet! I love it. Best movie of all time =

THE MATRIX

ckcsaber
04-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Karsec
Mystery Science Theater 3000

That was such a great show.

:hums theme song:

Katarn07
04-17-2003, 10:41 PM
How about......Spaceballs!

Best SF movie ever ;)

SPACEBALLS!!! :p

Is Minority Report the thing with Tom Cruise as a futuristic cop and murder is prevented and all? If not, what is that one called? That movie looked so cool but I never saw it. I remember the preview on TV saying it to be "Speilberg's best action film since Raiders of the Lost Ark." Yeah, that got my attention :cool:

*** I'd like to say I have yet to see the Matrix as well, and have heard from my friends it is over rated. My sister's boyfriend said that, my only SW friend at school said that, and even One says it is :p Well, that won't stop me from seeing it. When I will is the question.

The_One
04-18-2003, 08:19 AM
Yeah Katarn, that's Minority Report ;)

The Matrix is really over-rated, but I guess I'm in the minority.

*Runs from the hoards of Matrix fans*

StormHammer
04-18-2003, 08:46 AM
The Matrix is really over-rated, but I guess I'm in the minority.

*Runs from the hoards of Matrix fans*

The Matrix had some great special FX and action...but it was rather thin on plot, IMHO. Strip away all the effects, and you're left with a lone guy (the clichéd 'Chosen One') faces oppressor scenario. So I tend to agree that it's over-rated. There are a lot more thought-provoking SF movies out there with far better character development - they just tend not to have the 'cool' factor.

The_One
04-18-2003, 09:14 AM
Yeah.

Essentially it was a special effects extravaganza, with little else on offer. As you say, without the special effects, it's a very mediocre film. Coupled with the fact that Keanu Reeves just can't act - some of his scenes were rather laughable, making the film shameful at times.

Also, if you've ever watched Dark City, which came out way before The Matrix, you'll notice that The Matrix stole most of its ideas from Dark City - a far surperior film, with less special effects, and far stronger in the story telling department.

So, what you're left with is an un-original film, relying entirely on special effects, which mask up the fact that the story isn't very well told, and the cast are rather weak.

Just my opinion. I'm not saying it's a bad film, I actually quite enjoyed it, but I can see that it is very over-rated, and there are far better sci-fi films out there.

StormHammer
04-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Yeah.

So, what you're left with is an un-original film, relying entirely on special effects, which mask up the fact that the story isn't very well told, and the cast are rather weak.

Sounds like TPM and AOTC. :p

I haven't seen Dark City yet...but I'm even more inclined to watch it now. Hmmm...dvdplus.co.uk have the DVD version for just £8.95.

*whips credit card out of wallet* :D

Darth Groovy
04-18-2003, 01:59 PM
You can always rent Dark City I rented it after the bogus Ep2 trailer came out on TheForce.net, just to see the elements. i got hooked, it is one of those rare movies you cannot walk away from at anytime, and if you do, you miss key parts to the story. It is marvelous film, and an homage to Metropolis wich is more than obvious in the visual elements.

I can't believe I left Bladerunner off of my list, that is definitely a classic, one of my top ten favorites, and Ridley Scotts best film IMO.

Brazil is in my top ten, but I left that off because I cannot decide if that is a sci-fi film, or a fantasy film. I own the Criterion Collection DVD 3-pack, which remains to this date, the most money I ever payed for a DVD. Definitely work a look at, to anyone who has not seen it. Read my review:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90617

Man_with_saber
04-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Repo Man.
The Illustrated man.
Heavy Metal.

teutonicknight
04-19-2003, 01:09 AM
THE MATRIX

*cough*

Dath Maximus