PDA

View Full Version : Strategy Thread

lukeiamyourdad
04-29-2003, 08:24 PM
Finally!!!!!

I have enough points to get a decent strat thread stuck!
I would now ask everyone who has a strat or tip of anykind related to SWGB to come here and post it!

Also, everyone who has any question related to strategy and campaigns, come ask your questions here. You're sure to get your answer.

I hope this thread stands the test of time.

May the force be with the Strategy thread

swphreak
04-29-2003, 10:21 PM
any tips on how to get resources faster? I need to work on that. I can get it going but by the time I get a troop center out and like 10 troopers, my enemy is at tech 2 and has sent in a bunch of troopers/mounties.....

I guess another one of my problems is I'm what they call a "defense whore." I can build a good defense if I had the resources. That's why if I team up with someone, sometimes I goto an allied base and sorta "bunk" in with them, and keep my other base so the enemy still think I'm there.

joesdomain
04-30-2003, 02:07 AM
I have the same problem when I am playing the computer in random maps and I am on moderate, hard or hardest level. Usually I start collecting all the resources around my base. I first collect the muji bush for food, surrounding trees for carbon, nova, and ore. At the same time I try to make troopers to protect my base. It just seems like the computer gives itself an upgrade by tech level. Still can't figure out how he gets all those workers and troopers so fast.

swphreak
04-30-2003, 02:23 AM
one thing a few people have told me is to not worry about the nova and ore til t2. Nova/ore is not imperitive before t2 so don't bother with it. Just gather food and carbon. It cost carbon and food to make the troopers. without them... you're screwed. Nova is used for upgrades and the mechs. Ore is for some building upgrades and building the defenses.

joesdomain
04-30-2003, 03:23 AM
Nova is important in tech level 1. Why do people keep saying that? You need nova to build your mounted troopers. You can't defend your base with trooper recruits when the computer is quick to advance to tech level 2 and attack with normal troopers, mounted troopers, and jedi padawans.

pbguy1211
04-30-2003, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by joesdomain
Nova is important in tech level 1. Why do people keep saying that? You need nova to build your mounted troopers. You can't defend your base with trooper recruits when the computer is quick to advance to tech level 2 and attack with normal troopers, mounted troopers, and jedi padawans.
if you have more than 1 worker on nova in t1 you're dead. you need carbon and food. troops kill other troops and mounted trooper easily. and the comp wont attack you with padawans until late. besides, you need food and carbon to get the gathering upgrades. if you're messing around with nova in t1, i'll be in t2 sending upgraded troopers at you killing all your workers.
then sending mounted's to kill your power cores and CC.

DarthMaulUK
04-30-2003, 08:03 AM
I wont be making a habit of this but I will stick this sucker for a little while...make sure it stays on topic :-p

DMUK

lukeiamyourdad
04-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Thanks DMUK.
Sorry for my outburst...I guess you saw it:p

eh well.

This is sumthing I hate. I just can't fight off those stupid strike mech rushes.
Anyone got a tip?

(I'm always trying to get some grenadiers but they get their arses kicked!)

swphreak
04-30-2003, 08:12 PM
it is my understanding that Mech Destroyers are good against mechs. Try and using some of them with mounties and grenaders. The Mounties would get too close for the strike mech to shoot (or is that only for assualt mech/mech destroyer?). The strike mechs are good against troopers so it makes no sense to me to use troopers against them.

but what do I know, I suck at this game :p

pbguy1211
04-30-2003, 09:18 PM
mech destroyers kill anything at the mech factory with easy.
but if you're being rushed, the guy is probably a low intermediate player doing a strike rush because he cant T2 trooper rush.
If you attack in T2 first, you'll win easily.
With that said if they T3 rush, you don't have mech destroyers.
Grenaders are good, but get killed easily. You'll need a few. Same for Mounted's. I like to outnumber with mounteds if you're still in T2. THEN go kill his power core at his mech factory, no power means no strikes! At that point he's probably low on carbon and food.

For example, a guy tried to T3 strike mech rush me the other day. But as he hit T3 I was attacking with troopers and got him low on carbon. Then he attacked my troopers with strikes. So I sent a bunch of mounted troopers to kill the strike mechs and his power cores. Then he sent fighters. So I used AA troopers. Then I sent mounted troopers, anti air troopers, and troopers. My mounted's killed his nurseries, AA took out his air speeders (don't know why he sent them) and my troopers out numbered his.
So he was in T3 and I was in T2... I won.

joesdomain
04-30-2003, 09:59 PM
I usually try to keep up with the computer's tech level and attack his strike mechs, mech destroyers, power cores, and workers with mounties. I protect them with Anti-air troopers, Laser Troopers, and a few padawans.

Sometimes I will get to tech level 3 first and attack with knights, bounty hunters, and protect them with anti-air troopers and grenadiers. I also use fighters to take out anti-air troopers, medics, workers, and any other trooper. Follow that with some bombers to destroy military buildings.

Th_hzztz
04-30-2003, 10:46 PM
how do i post a scanned pic of an awesome strategy :lsduel:

joesdomain
04-30-2003, 10:55 PM
I have no clue how to post a picture of strategies on here. You might want to ask one of the other regular members.

pbguy1211
04-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I usually try to keep up with the computer's tech level and attack his strike mechs, mech destroyers, power cores, and workers with mounties. I protect them with Anti-air troopers, Laser Troopers, and a few padawans.
when playing the comp on medium or lower it's easy to counter their attacks or at least keep up with them in production.
on hard, it's hard. i usually play on hard, but i find myself pausing at times for the simple fact that the comp can multi-task at a much faster level. i pause at the start and when i tech to get all the upgrades at once then i'm off to the races.

Sometimes I will get to tech level 3 first and attack with knights, bounty hunters, and protect them with anti-air troopers and grenadiers. I also use fighters to take out anti-air troopers, medics, workers, and any other trooper. Follow that with some bombers to destroy military buildings.

when in tech 2 attack with troops, in tech 3 attack with strikes and troops. uses mounted's to tear down gates power cores and turrets. dont use much air, but bring some AA with your troopers as D and leave some at your base.
a REALLY easy strat is while attacking the comp, leave like 2 air units over their CC in an area out of turret range and have them in defensive or in no movement stance. this is a REALLY easy way to cut off food/farm prodcution.

remember ATTACK THE ECONOMY AND NOT BUILDINGS!
The only buildings you should attack are power cores and the CC.
Mounted's on those, troopers to kill workers, mechs to kill troopers.
i wanna hear you guys talk about beating the comp while still in t2 or t3 soon!

Sithmaster_821
05-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Yeah, carbon is the most vernable resource. No mater if you trooper rush, strike rush, or air rush, hit the carbon first.

Grenadiers-Since ther projectile is slow, a good player (or the comp) can usually out-micro them. However, they serve as a good deterence for strike rushes, and protect regualr troopers better than mounties. Mounties should be used for seige anyways.

the guy is probably a low intermediate player doing a strike rush because he cant T2 trooper rush.
I remeber when a certain forumer would speak highly of this rush. It seems you have learned much, young padawan.

Alright, pbguy, I've been away from this game for a while, and I totally forgot my build order (I've been playing Set, Odin, Tho, and Hades in AoM, and those are probably the most different BO's in the game). Anywho, I all i remeber is vils 1-2 go to berries/other food and vil 3-4 go carbon. Also, I remeber that I advanced faster than most people, and tended to do most of my economic build up in t3 (especially in nova/ore). What is (roughly) your BO?

pbguy1211
05-01-2003, 01:56 AM
it depends on who you're playing as to what strat u want to use. if you do it right, a strike rush will work. but you need to do more than simply advance to t3. you need to put at least 1 turret near your carbon guys, and you have to have enough nova too. AND protect your power core from mounted troopers with walls.
i like to put my first 12 or so guys on food. then the rest on carbon. i like to get to t2 pretty quick now and get troops up pretty fast. and get a war center and upgrades for troops.
first get all the resource upgrades, then make workers and troops out the wazoo. seriously... non-stop trooper production. if you commit to troops in t2 it's SO hard to lose. i mean making TONS in t2. especially mounted troopers, you can take down a CC easy.

DarthMaulUK
05-01-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Th_hzztz
how do i post a scanned pic of an awesome strategy :lsduel:

If you put the pics into a zip file, then email them to me, I will make a page up

DMUK

DarthMaulUK
05-01-2003, 05:40 AM
Mounted troopers are the best at countering a Mech rush. Maybe a mixture of grenaders also in support. However, build yourself a couple of turrets close to your carbon collectors to offer some protection from Troop/Mech rush.

Remember that early turrets have limited short range, so space them out to cover each other.

Take a look at the recorded games section for other useful strats and tips, or record yours and send them in

DMUK

AlliedCommander
05-01-2003, 11:47 AM
I generally don't build troops early, i rely on turrets and getting to t3 in time.

I am like undefeated in mineral consumption. I've had over 70,000, even over 80,000 total nova, and approx. 10,000 ore.
I start on nova in t1 (gasp), because 1. padawans 2. getting to t3 faster once u r in t2.

If u survive the "trama" of building a padawan, (the temple can be used as a requirerment) the holos can help later in game.

With a few nova workers in t2, my nova can be ambundent and i can buy food at spaceport, which is the other t2 building i use as the requirement.

pbguy1211
05-01-2003, 02:41 PM
and I'm saying you don't NEED to get to T3 as fast as you think.
200 Nova can build you 10 mounted troopers. the other 200 to get to T3 can build you 10 more. That's more than enough to rip through your turrets and power cores (EDIT: not to mention your CC). 4 or 5 can take down a turret with relative ease. Not to mention the time it takes to tech to T3 is long. Longer than it takes to tech to T2.

joesdomain
05-01-2003, 06:38 PM
The main reason why I try to get to tech level 3 real fast is to upgrade troopers so they are faster. Tech Level 1 and 2 troopers and mounties are extremely slow.

lukeiamyourdad
05-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Nice Nice very nice!
Keep this up.

It doesn't matter the speed for that moment. It's not that important.

I tried many times to counter a strike rush with 2(maybe three) turrets near my carbon workers. But the mechs always avoid my turrets fire and even my mounties!

pbguy1211
05-01-2003, 11:08 PM
troopers are fast enough at t2... especially mounted troopers. they're very fast. besides it takes longer for you to get from T2 to T3 than it takes for me to get to your base with troopers in T2. No doubt about it.

and you can't counter 2 strikes with 2 mounties. you need to have more. strikes are ranged and will move to the range they need to attack. if you have two mounted troopers to a mech, you'll kill it with relative ease.

[EDIT]And to comment on DMUK's main page comment... I have beaten 2 decent players at once. It isn't easy, but it's possible.
Especially if you can really do a number on one of them in tech 2 and kill them there.

Sithmaster_821
05-02-2003, 12:10 AM
The only troopers that are painfully slow are recruits. Thats why the first thing you should do when hitting t2 is upgrade to troopers. That is probably the biggest upgrade in the game, and the cheapest as well. If my opponent has recruits when I hit them, I pretty much think "game, set and match". Recruits just die so quickly to troopers and their speed allows them to be out-manuevered very easily.

Mounties make great anti-building units, but if you're using them, I'd suggest getting the pierce armor upgrade at the war center. Helps them resist turret/cc fire as well as their t2 counter-the trooper.

Padawans are a waste of 225 nova. Spend that on troopers or upgrading. They tend to die before they ever reach massed troopers-the units they're supposed to counter.

The only rush I have to getting to t3 is that I get air, which makes the best offensive weapon. Fighters are awesome raiders and bombers are crucial against people who build turret forests around their town. Also, in t3, I get the heavy trooper upgrade, plus the range upgrade, which allows for me to outrange cc's and turrets with troopers. But post-patch, both of those are more expensive and less effective.

Turrest by carbon workers are key to out living rushes. If you have a feeling you will be rushed, build a turret. Another thing, keep your carbon gathering on the opposite side of your cc from the rusher, and keep your troop center perpendicular. If they go t3, remember that you have grenadiers and aa-troopers.

i like to put my first 12 or so guys on food. then the rest on carbon. i like to get to t2 pretty quick now and get troops up pretty fast. and get a war center and upgrades for troops.
That sounds like what I did, but I'm pretty sure that I kept about an equal amount of food to carbon workers, with a slightly greater emphasis on food. I liked attacking early, so i pumped around 8 recruits prior to teching. Never have idle tc time.

pbguy1211
05-02-2003, 12:33 AM
seriously, sometimes i dont even have a troop center as i hit t2
my first 3 buildings are food ctr, carbon ctr, and power core. and in some games i dont have a power core right away and i get a nursery as my third building. then i tech and build a PC as i tech.
as i get to t2 i get the carbon upgrade first, the farm second (possibly nurseries if i have at least 2) then troopers, then the war center upgrades, then a turret near the carbon guys.
keep in mind this is while constantly making workers out of the CC. and once you have troop centers making troops. at some point i have a second troop center up... then my second t2 building... then at some point my third troop center. and by the time my third troop center is up i'm pumping those puppies out something fierce. the comp on hard is pretty much dead at this point.

AlliedCommander
05-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Sometimes i never build a troop center. I get to t3 fairly fast, and usually i don't get rushed. That's what i count on. If i do, i will survive. (but it will probaly lower my score and seal my death).

If i'm not rushed by mounties, which require more attention than troopers since i always have turrets, than i can seek minerals more at ease, and build a padawan who manages to snatch at least 2, usually 3 or 4 holocrons.

Has anyone had something similiar to this---(it requires dumb enemies) The host did not lock teams, it was 2 players versus me. DM forest t1. They rushed in t3 and i was overwhelmed.I went with an air transport to clearings in the forest, totally isolated. They cussed me out and ordered me to surrender (not sure exactly what their roblems were) arings in the forest, totally isolated.

Instead of trying to find me with fighters, they messed around with their bases and i built up a huge base riddled with turrets and FU assualt mechs (was confeds).
To sum it up, they finally found me, i slaughtered their attacks, and destroyed their bases. They had a few workers left and begged me to let the workers live, I switched them to ally then blasted with an air cruiser.

Someone have a turnaround like this (requires stupid enemies)?

pbguy1211
05-02-2003, 02:47 PM
dude... if you play an intermediate game and you dont have a troop center, you're dead in tech 2. period. care to test your strategy against me sometime?

lukeiamyourdad
05-04-2003, 12:28 AM
You shouldn't ''think'' you won't get rushed.
It's suicide.
Did that once...
Got my ass kicked.

Try and prevent anything.
Anyone can use element of surprise(rebs using ships, gungans using fighters, etc)

That wrecks havoc!

pbguy1211
05-04-2003, 12:36 AM
agreed
you dont expect mechs from the rebels, or air from the gungans and TF, or hvy troopers from the naboo

Sithmaster_821
05-04-2003, 01:30 AM
You can only expect not to get rushed if you got the pocket in a 3v3, but even then, you should expect an attack around early t3.

Yeah, pbguy, maybe thats why I had more carbon workers early on. For the troop center and PC and troopers. I would advance slightly slower, but the chances are I'd hit you before your second troop center went up.

pbguy1211
05-04-2003, 02:50 AM
lol... is your sig long enough?

Lex
05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
thats what i will host...they wont cost anything as long as the guy who wants to be trained is a serious RMer...i might not be the best of the best, but i am low expert for sure if not better, and i could help the inters and rookies a lot...if interested, post here...if not well...dunno...maybe go nose-picking

VA_Rebel_Spies
05-05-2003, 03:33 AM
YES! NOVA IS IMPORTANT IN TECH 1.

Here is a good stragety on getting resources quickly...

1.Send you workers, working. one make a prefab the other two build a food prosseccing center next to muja bushes.

2.Click on comm. ctr. and create 4 workers.

3. select your scout and hold the shift key down, and right click all over the mini map. the release shifth key and right click once anywhere. Now you scout will go to all those locations.

4.The first worker that mad prefab, send to collect carbon by nearest tree.

**NOTE** dont ever stop making workers. Workers are the main unit in this game. the moment you run out of workers you are already slowly DIEING!

5.Build a troop ctr. or two and make about 6-8 troopers

6. create a worker evertime you reach 50 food. Have about 28-30 workers before tech 2. Thats about 8 Farmers, 12 carbon collectors, 4 nova collectores and 4 ore collectors. Then advande to tech 2.

-Tech-Level-2-

1. create about ten more workers. have about ten farmers, 20-22 carbon collecters, 5 nova and 5 ore.

2. As soon as you reach tech 2, build a temple and a spaceport, then advance as soon as you can, collect the holo's and a get Holo net at space port(only for team playin).

-Tech-level-3-

Build 1 air base and create 4-6 fighters and send them to **tech level 2 or less;enemies.

Build a fortress and another command ctr. and advance to tech 4. The Reason for this is so you can create workers during tech 3 to tech 4. This is good incase your getting invaded during your advance.

Now, I wont say anymore because I'm writing this to get you resorces faster, not how to counter strike enemies. You create your units how you like. Make up a good stragety.

**tips**

-Bounties by the 100's can make a good offensive.

-Workers! you cannot Stop makin workers, my last game I had 104 workers out of a 175 pop. Once you have all the resources kill about 1/4 of them and create an army.

-When Playing in Precipice map, Block the Fords with 3-ply walls, this will keep out grounds forces. Great Tatic. If you have problems with a trooper rush, this is your answer. here is some simple steps...

1.On the shallows, build a sentry post.
2. Block the river with 3-ply walls( or 2-ply if your cheap).
3.If your in tech 2, build another 2-ply wall with turrents. When your tech 3, build a fortress behind the walls and whatever is left from your turrents. Build a sheild and a power core and your good for hours.

if you want to see this in action. Reply your zone name here and we will play some time. Im online from about 9pm-12pm EST.

- Rebel Lagging Out:biggs:

pbguy1211
05-05-2003, 04:42 AM
building troopers in t1 is pointless.
use the food to get to t2
as soon as you get to t2 get the food and carbon upgrades.
upgrade to troopers
make troopers...
build a war center and get the trooper upgrades.
start on nova sometime in t2
make a second troop center, research adv mounted troopers
send a wave of 10 troopers at your enemies carbon workers.
start making mounties and more troopers
make a mech factory.
send a second wave of mounties and troopers
send the troopers at the carbon workers again and send the mounteds at the power cores and turrets.
when you advance to t3, get the carbon upgrade and food upgrade
make a second CC and strike mechs, or if you're enemy is at t3 first, mech destroyers.
KEEP ATTACKING THE CARBON WORKERS!
then make your other 2 T3 buildings to get to t4

VA_Rebel_Spies
05-05-2003, 04:56 AM
Ok Listen, The enemy/computer creates troopers in tech 2 and upgrades them as they go to the enemies base.

Make the troopers in tech 1, upgrade in tech 2. and secondly,
Troopers are not that good, you should rely more on mechs and air before you do troops. Dont get me wrong troopers are good, but not the best.

No no no, You kill Food workers first! If you stop there food production, you stop there worker production leaving them hopless. Never carbon first, second maybe but not first.

start on nova sometime in t2
Way too late, way. You need nova for a jedi to get the holo's. those Holocrons are very valuable, the enemy/computer is not gonna let them sit there till you get a jedi. Always.

Now im not saying your strategy is bad, just it could be more
Orginized
You should decide what buildings first, what upgrades first.

And as soon as you get to t2 get the food and carbon upgrades.
Way too late also, upgrade as you go. what , its like 100 carbon, thats not bad, 5-6 workers can get that back in no time at all.

The time the enemy has troopers at my base, I have troops and turrents, and not only that, the computer cant get to me most of the time. Block the ford!Block The Ford

AlliedCommander
05-05-2003, 11:53 AM
I will build a troop center if there's players who have higher scores, faster to tech levels.
But when you are are playing rookiees and you have good allies, a troop center isn't as necaserry. I have turrets to take out 3 troopers or so if they did manage to rush with them.

Rebel Spies, did you just tell someone that they should upgrade when they are going to t2!!!???
You can only research basic training in t1.
Starting on nova in t2 isn't death. Holocrons are an alternative strat;some people will win before they experiennce nova loss that the holos couldn't have ompensated.

pbguy1211
05-05-2003, 02:38 PM
VA, no offense.... but i'd wreck you if you used your strat.

swphreak
05-05-2003, 03:01 PM
This may not be... strategy, but do you just build buildings wherever, or do you organize it somewhat? Me, I usually build stuff together. like groups of prefabs here and there, most of my Miitary buildings together with a power core, my fort in a good position to help cover my base, and my research places/spaceport together with a power core....

pbguy1211
05-05-2003, 11:14 PM
i use forts as D... mainly for the AA turret is posesses (sp?)
in the begining i try to get as many building under a powercore for the sake of not spending 200 more carbon on one.

prefabs i like to keep out of the way. sometimes i make them to protect a powercore.

a spaceport? what's that? j/k :D i make mine sometime in t3. i'd rather use the carbon for a troop center or more troops and the nova for the holonet to make mounties.

SE_Vader_536
05-05-2003, 11:47 PM
my strats are on the link in my sig (longest post). sorry i dont have time to transfer them. anyways nice to see luke's dad finally got this thread up. and id like to add the discussion by saying a few things other than whats in my link.

Nova is something useful for tech 2. same for ore. without ore you cant have walls which are very useful as defense (duh...) without nova half your upgrades are out of the picture. another thing i prefer to take opponents out after ive researched every possible tech. why? because then i lose the least units and spend the least time making them and whiping out the enemy. plus i find it much more fun taking them out with more types of units and playing longer. im not much of a rusher but i could do it.

the point of having troopers at t1 is so you have some kind of defense if you get attacked before reaching t2. its better to have something rather than nothing.

oh well that's my 2 cents. well see you for now (probably wont be on for a while) :cry9:

Sithmaster_821
05-06-2003, 12:03 AM
You build walls?!? Sorry, but I was taken aback. Nova and ore dont become important until t3+.

No, Allied Commander, you can't go heavy on nova early on, and you definately can't neglect troopers. That is SWGB 101. Troopers are your lifespan. I go most games without building a mech factory or a heavy factory.

pbguy, building troopers early does put back you teching time (I think I went around 10 minutes), but you get an army very early. By the time you get your troop center up, most of your carbon workers will be dead. You were right in assuming that speed is everything, but speedy military is what is important

Admiral Vostok
05-06-2003, 03:05 AM
I always build walls, but then again I'm always playing against the computer. Are walls less important vs real humans? Or are they considered useless altogether?

SE_Vader_536
05-06-2003, 04:35 PM
what's wrong with walls? walls are very important. they slow down attacks considerably. i mean i could muster up plenty of forces by the time someone broke through if i didnt have any defenders. ore is important! nova is very helpfull when upgrading! i mean upgrading goes before attacking always!

lukeiamyourdad
05-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Yes it is different vs human players. Walls are wasting time and ressources and don't slow the enemy enough. He can simply send aircrafts to go over the wall(d'uh). It's quite useless vs air strong civ and even with more ground oriented civs, I never use them.

Getting nova and ore early on slows down your econ and wastes a few early workers on a ressources that aren't all that useful.

Sithmaster_821
05-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Even against the comp, I found that I didn't use walls. I just think that they are too containing and force people to have the tendancy to play too defensively. And it just creates more buildingsto have to repair.

pbguy1211
05-07-2003, 01:05 AM
walls, and especially gates, can easily be ripped through by a couple of mounties.

SE_Vader_536
05-07-2003, 04:19 PM
yeah mounties can rip through medium walls. i mean later on with sheild walls it still takes at least 1 minute even for pummels. by then you can collect your forces at that area. after the attack is done you can go back and destroy damaged walls and rebuild since they're so cheap. anti air is the solution to air masses. if you have them air attacks will have to stop and take out the turrets while you collect your anti air units.

eizo131
05-07-2003, 04:52 PM
How do you assult bases with an minimal cost at tech.4?

Got a question can walls sometimes block artillary shots?

pbguy1211
05-07-2003, 06:14 PM
minimal cost? it depends what resources you value more.
you should be attacking BEFORE tech 4... BEFORE his defenses are strong enough.

Sithmaster_821
05-08-2003, 01:02 AM
To answer his question, cannons would be your best bet, with a mass of repeaters to defend against the defenders.

Admiral Vostok
05-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Well I find walls rather valuable, as I am a very defensive player, almost bordering on turtling. Sure, mounties can rip through walls, but it gives me time to mobilise my troops before the mounty gets to my base. Against air they are useless, but no one ver attacks purely with air, there is nearly always a ground force as well (which the walls will keep out).

lukeiamyourdad
05-09-2003, 11:27 PM
Walls are no walls...

I remember in the time of AoK how I used walls...At the beginning, my newbs years, I was using walls(like in SWGB). But after awhile... I didn't make them anymore...

Because they become useless. Don't worry. If you lose a few units or buildings it's no biggy. If you have a strong econ, everything is fine.

pbguy1211
05-10-2003, 12:47 AM
walls will keep out strike mechs, mech destroyers and laser troopers. assault mechs, mounties, pummels and art's will drop them in relative ease. not to mention cannons.

Admiral Vostok
05-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Hmm, okay maybe I'll try without walls and see how things go.

I should add that in AoM I don't use walls - now they are useless.

lukeiamyourdad
05-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Lol.

In AoM, walls are freakishly useless....

SE_Vader_536
05-12-2003, 10:20 PM
ive tried walls playing computer and i find that you can play with them and without them. its just i hate losing buildings if i dont have to. walls only cost 100-200 ore at the most and stall plenty enough to get forces there.

but then again im not the kind of person you see attacking at t2... (maybe once in a while if im not lagging to far behind the enemy (i tend to do better in the long run))

pbguy1211
05-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by SE_Vader_536
but then again im not the kind of person you see attacking at t2... (maybe once in a while if im not lagging to far behind the enemy (i tend to do better in the long run))
you mean you play the comp, thwart their initial attack then eventually move in on them? :D
I ALWAYS attack in tech 2 now. You'd be surprised how strong 6-10 mounted troopers are. sticking 4 on a turret can bring it down fairly fast. and 4 on a power core and you can kiss that PC goodbye! THEN you sick them on the CC! If they're attacking the CC the workers are probably garrisoned in it and not working. then have troops next to the mounties... when the CC empties because it's too damaged those troopers easily waste the workers!

lmeunier
05-13-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi !

I find all this advices very helpful. However I still have a specific problem, as we are talking about walls or no-walls.

I tend to play often with the same friend, and he has a very defensive strat. Especially turrets, turrets, and turrets again ! Just all along his walls, and also inside his territory.

That drives me mad :mad: . I am really faster in ressource than him, get a more powerful army, but I waste everything against these damn turrets (upgraded, garrisoned and so on).
So far I didn't found the solution, as even with canons, I don't get rid of it (as soon as one turret is demolished, he build another one).
Of course he always manages turrets to protect eachothers.
I wasted many times tremendous amount of units of any kind, without making enough damage to weaken him.
Whenver I make a breach in it, I get demolished by other turrets inside.
So what would you do against this kind of defense ?
What is the best strat against a highly turrets protected enemy ?

I tried sometimes air transport, but of course I got hit hard by anti-air turrets ...

PS : of course you could answer "rush him before ...", but we suppose it's too late

pbguy1211
05-13-2003, 03:39 PM
4 or 5 mounted troopers per turret... or put pummels in air transports and drop them in on you buddy to take out his turrets.
Cannons also outrange turrets and can take them down pretty fast.

eizo131
05-13-2003, 04:23 PM
thx for all the advice

how many workers do you need to do a t2 rush?
also how many troops do you need for a t2 rush?

pbguy1211
05-13-2003, 06:40 PM
i get in the low 20's for workers before i hit t2. but i'm very good and i know what i'm doing with my guys. so 20's all i need in t1.
as i advance to t2 i have a food ctr a carbon ctr and either a power core or a nursery. if i dont have a PC in t1, i build one as i go to t2.
as soon as i hit t2 i research troopers, carbon upgrades, and farming upgrades. then continuously pump out workers and troopers. i build a war ctr at some early point and research lasers and armor. then i get 6 or so guys on nova, research mounted troopers and s** is on. I have over 10 troopers made and i send a first wave at my enemies carbon guys. next i send a wave of mounted troopers (6-8) and troopers at my enemy. mounties go straight for the power core. then a turret. you dont want to go head to head vs his troopers unless you know you'll win. you want to make sure you kill as many of his workers as you can. that's the key. then fight his army. by killing his carbon workers and his power core you eliminate his ability to easily build another power core and maximize his trooper building time. then you can make MORE troopers and finish him. it's not hard but it takes a little to get used to. but it's by far the easiest way to win, especially in 1v1 games. I tend to do in every game now. because it's a sure fire way to kill someone. and if you're in a 3v3 you can eliminate an opponent and give your team an early advantage.
just my strat. but it works a LOT of the time.

Admiral Vostok
05-13-2003, 11:06 PM
I usually don't attack early because I find the later TL units much more fun. So I defend myself until I have a huge army. I just don't see how winning with mounted troopers could be more fun than winning with assault mechs.

SE_Vader_536
05-15-2003, 02:43 PM
yeah thats pretty much my outlook on things. i find it more fun to get a challenging kill rather than an easy one. yeah it lets you win but thats not always the point of playing.

(just a note: my birthday's on saturday!)

pbguy1211
05-15-2003, 06:26 PM
the problem is that any inter game will be that way and you'll lose if you dont do it.
you'd better stick to the rooks and noob games if that's your strat. that's all.

SE_Vader_536
05-15-2003, 06:43 PM
as i said before winning isnt everything. the point is too have fun not to win. i feel that's more of an extra.

pbguy1211
05-15-2003, 10:43 PM
well... it's no fun to lose all the time...

Praetorian
05-16-2003, 02:27 PM
lmeunier, I used to have the same problem w/ a friend of mine when we played on a LAN together. Then I broke it. Here's how.

Build 5-10 canons w/ a big army to back it up. Make sure your army is designed to counter whatever units he throws at you when you attack.

Use the canons to slowly go "step by step" through his base. Deploy, kill 1 or 2 turrets, move, deploy, kill more turrets, etc. Never deploy your canons within range of your enemy's turrets. It will take some time, but you will get the job done. You just want to slowly eat away at his defenses.

Keep your army close to your canons to protect them, but keep them out of range of the enemy's turrets. Use defensive stance or stand ground stance to make this easier.

When you've broken through the defenses and your in his town, DON'T go crazy with your army and send them to be slaughted by turrets throughout his base. Bring pummels allong and use them (backed up with your army) and your canons to kill the turrets as you "walk" through his base. Once again, don't go running through. Slowly walk through his base killing all units, turrets, military buildings, shield generators, and resorce collection buildings (including Command Centers)

After that, he stopped being a turtle and started to fight for real.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If he keeps rebuilding turrets, just keep killing them. He will run out of ore pretty fast, and your canons will kill them quickly anyway.

lukeiamyourdad
05-17-2003, 12:17 AM
If you're feeling suicidal tho, try throwing your pummels ahead of ya.
Keep them ahead. They can deflect a lot of shots.

It's fun to play. It's fun to win.
You know it's no biggie to be an eternal rook. It can be a lot of fun.
But winning is also fun(except for noob bashers. I'm sure they're only a bunch of nerdy kids who can't find anything else to do with their lives). Except that winning shouldn't be everything. If you like long games, play long games. If you like short games, then rush!

It's all in the preferences...

Admiral Vostok
05-17-2003, 04:42 AM
Yeah, if I played on the net I'd stick with the rooks, as I find long games that involve a variety of units more fun than quick games where the most advanced unit you get is a mounted trooper. It seems most veterans don't see things the same.

lukeiamyourdad
05-18-2003, 01:23 AM
We need to find a new strat or problem to work with...

I don't want this thread to die...

SE_Vader_536
05-19-2003, 02:47 PM
what's the all around best way to attack? a lot of cheap units or a little of expensive ones?

pbguy1211
05-19-2003, 03:54 PM
it depends.
it's a strategy game
there's more than 1 way to win. you can make 50 air cruisers... but if your opponent has more fighters, you'd lose that battle and waste all the nova and food.
you can make a lot of troopers, but if you're countered by strkes, you'll probably lose that too. balance is key. and supporting your main units is key.

Praetorian
05-19-2003, 04:26 PM
I've got a friend who I play w/ every so often who can't deside what civ to be himself, so he is always asking me (we play on a LAN). Whenever we are teamed together (like last night), he ALWAYS keeps asking me to choose his civ. It gets very anoying, so...I was wondering, what civ do you think goes best w/ the empire. I play empire 98% of the time so this is the only combo I'm really interested in, but other ideas are ok, too. I'm always willing to adapt.

pbguy1211
05-19-2003, 05:19 PM
a good compliment to the empire would be wookies, rebels, naboo or republic. because of their air and jedi. not to mention troops (not counting naboo, their troops suck).

SE_Vader_536
05-19-2003, 09:13 PM
i know it depends on strategy but what would be more cost effective? a bunch of bombers or an aircruiser, a whole bunch of troopers or an assualt mech, a whole bunch of mounties or pummels?

pbguy1211
05-20-2003, 05:26 AM
my absolute FAVORITE t4 army is a mix of a wings and mounted troopers.

Admiral Vostok
05-20-2003, 10:29 AM
SE_Vader: It depends on what you're up against.

Praetorian: Get him to go Random if he can't decide. I always play random, unless there is a civ I haven't played for a while. It seems like the randomiser (on my comp at least) chooses Republic and Wookiees more than the others, so often there will be a civ I haven't played for ages (it seems to choose Naboo and Confederacy the least).

pbguy1211
05-20-2003, 02:14 PM
damn, i only got a 12? some of those were hard.

Praetorian
05-20-2003, 04:49 PM
He likes the wookies and republic, but the problem is the fact that I am usually against another guy who plays empire when I'm w/ the guy who can't decided. Empire's Dark Troopers mow down troopers, and both wookies' and republic's main ground force is troopers.

Admiral Vostok
05-24-2003, 03:02 AM
As this thread is in risk of dying, I'll post this not terribly deep strategy question:

Which units are the most important for each Tech Level for each civ?

pbguy1211
05-24-2003, 05:34 AM
for each civ? well... up to t3 they're all the same. then you get your unique units. Naboo should stick to air and jedi. Rebels, troops and air (speeders are BIG vs mechs). Wookies have good everything. Republic: troops, air and jedi. Gungans, troops and mechs. TF, mechs. Confeds, troops and mechs. empire, mechs, h. weaps. and troops (DTs).

In tech 4? Keep in mind it's all economy based and nothing will beat a strong, balanced force with ease.
Emp: Walkers, AA mobiles, Mech Destroyers
Rebs: Mounties, Speeders, A wings. Masters if you can afford them.
Naboo: Masters... Crusaders, Strikes.
Wookies: Troops, Air and Mechs + H Weaps.
Confeds: Troops, Mechs, H Weaps.
TF: Mechs, Heavies.
Rep: Jedi, Air, Troops (because they build so fast.)
Gungans: Troops, Mechs, Heavies.

lukeiamyourdad
05-24-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm sorry pbguy but I don't see why you would use Wookiee mechs. They only cost less but they're weak as hell. Simply make troops and air.

And as a side note to everyone, never make a trooper only army.
You're gonna get squashed.

Sithmaster_821
05-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Yeah, t3 wookies should concentrate on troops/air, with heavy weapons support. Emps are the ones who should have the varied army.

pbguy1211
05-27-2003, 09:26 PM
Well, obviously wookies have the strongest troops. with heavies being big as well.

i think fighters are fairly useless unless they're in mass and FU'd
a few AA mobiles can eliminate your air pretty fast. some dude fast t3'd me today and did an AIR RAID with it... bad idea. so i trooped his carbon guys, took out his power core to his airbases, and used aa troops on his fighters. he resigned shortly thereafter.

i think only the unique air units serve any real purpose.
starfighters for scouting and occassional raiding. a wings for trooper raids/strikes. and speeders as defense for mechs.
fighters kinda suck and cost a lot to make FU.

Sithmaster_821
05-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Fighters? Suck? Wow, we have different ways of playing the rebs. An air attack supported by a t2->t3 rush by troopers is devastating. In t3, aa is incredibly weak and quite inaccurate. A tiny fleet of fighters can handle most of the aa troopers that they send at you, esp with ground support. Bombers make for crucial t3 seige, especially for air strong and heavy weak civs like the naboo and the rebs.

pbguy1211
05-28-2003, 01:11 AM
yeah, but in t3 all air and troops are the same.

i like to use troopers in t2 to attack your carbon guys. regular troopers are cheaper than aircraft... THEN after troopers i send in a bunch of mounties to get your power cores and turrets. followed by another wave of troopers. getting the power core is key. the thing is to get the other guy BEFORE T3 when they can access mechs and fighters. most people dont realize the power of a mounted trooper either. support them with troops and it's all good times for you!

pbguy1211
05-28-2003, 06:29 AM
I have been offically SPANKED on the zone... thunderkracker kicked my ASS! never let it be said he doesnt exploit the hell out of the naboo nova bonus. mounties, mounties, and more mounties....

Sithmaster_821
05-28-2003, 07:52 PM
i like to use troopers in t2 to attack your carbon guys. regular troopers are cheaper than aircraft... THEN after troopers i send in a bunch of mounties to get your power cores and turrets. followed by another wave of troopers. getting the power core is key. the thing is to get the other guy BEFORE T3 when they can access mechs and fighters. most people dont realize the power of a mounted trooper either. support them with troops and it's all good times for you!
Yeah, that tends to be the most popular strat, although I usually sned the troops and mounites together. One unit armies are never smart.